Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

The couples perform individual dances; the athletes and their pros split into two teams, and the team dance scores are combined with the athletes' individual dance scores and the previous week's overnight votes.

• Love 1
(edited)

Week 2 and already the midpoint of the season.  Not fond of guest judges, but better Rashad than Meryl who I spot sitting front row.

Josh:  Sharna really worked on extensions this week and really getting him to stretch out his body...almost to an extreme once when he slightly lost balance. But a rare good use of  the troupe. Josh stayed the center of attention the whole time. Great job! 7s were low IMO. 8s were correct. Surprised Rashad went with the 7 but I'm guessing CAI is holding her 8 for someone else.

Jennie:  I didn't catch what song made her so uncomfortable.  Very simplified choreography and I suspect it may be more mental reluctance than inability or potential talent.  Bruno was making me nervous with his analogies (was it Karina where he was completely inappropriate?) about the catsuit.  She's holding herself back IMO. Agree with the 6s. The 7s were too high. This is an extremely short season. There's no time for her to get used to this.  I suspect we're not going to get to really see what she can do and she won't either.

Kareem:  Cute trick at the beginning with Lindsay on Hayley's shoulders. But glad they didn't do the whole dance like that.  He moves well, sorry to say, for his age.  The spirit is clearly willing but the body is kind of stiff.   Good job though! (Where was he 10 years ago!?!?) Agree with the scores but wouldn't have minded one more 7.

Chris:  He needs to square off his posture, the shoulders still look hunchy.  If he would just pull his shoulders back!  But his arms and footwork looked much improved.  Did she go airborne during that last spin? It looked like she was trying to keep a hand on the floor but I think the requirement is to keep a foot on the floor.  But just disappointment about the choreography.  I normally love the VW and the flowiness of it and this just seemed too stop-and-go and jerky for my taste.  A 9??? That's waaaay too much.  All 8s would have been generous.  I thought more 7-7-8-8.  Really makes me wonder again about CAI's 7 for Josh.  Perhaps Chris is not getting the votes?  Presumably the "judges" (excluding Rashad) already know the vote tallies to be used for tonight's elimination or, at minimum, tptb have informed them who needs some scoring help.

Tonya:  The bear was cute at the opening but should have gone away after the first few bars.  She was keeping up the pace, I saw no errors in footwork or timing, and seemed to be having fun.  Good job.  Agree with the scores, including the 9 in this case.

Mirai:  Not good being shown having a pity party.  I wish her dress would have been a few inches shorter to see her feet better.  A very pretty dance.  Good grief! The whole audience has lit-up Mickey ears?  Lights flashing on Mirai's dress? CAI whinnying like a horse?  What's going on here!   It sounded like they were winding up for the first perfect score...IN WEEK 2!  Thankfully only Rashad went there.

Arike:  I like Arike's attitude and seems like a good role model.  Very nice! I loved that she took on the "challenge of the heels".  A bit stiff (shoulders up) and tentative in places but a huge improvement.  Agree with the scores. I hope she survives the night.  What more could we learn about her next week!

Adam:  Sorry. No sympathy for the schedule. You knew (and had every resource to know) what you were getting into.  I thought no breaks in hold for the quickstep...or are we just ignoring these little details now?  A little balance issue.  A 10? No. All 9s are plenty.  No mention of the break in hold. I guess Len has caved.

So we've got Jennie and Kareem way below, at the bottom of the leaderboard with 26s. Josh not out of danger with a 30.  Team Dances could really help or hurt.  But then again, they already know half of the elimination equation (the votes).  Somehow I don't think they would dump a cute guy with dance talent...but who knows!

Team Tennis:  Josh was out of sync in the beginning and looked under-rehearsed thoughout.  Kareem didn't do too much but otherwise it was entertaining.  The sync did tighten up once the ladies joined in. Agree with the scores.

Team Football:  The girls-only segment was waaaay out of sync and both Arike's and Jennie's individual segments were super simplified.  Good catch by Adam - didn't see who threw the football.  Scores too high. I would have given Team Tennis the higher score.

Hmmm Chris in jeopardy - this might explain the overscoring

Sorry to see Arike go but happy she got her princess moment.  Kareem, it's been a pleasure.

(Eeks! Three eliminated next week.)

(In all the years on this site and TWOP before this, I've never ever been the first to comment on show night.  Is interest in this season really waning that much?)

Edited by Uke
  • Love 7

Josh - Good. Didn’t think it was as good as last week. 

Jennie - Good for her for standing up for herself. I liked the dance. It was fun. 

Kareem - He was dancing more than last week. Really made me smile!

Chris - Very nice. I was a little distracted by his chin sticking up so much, but he did have the movement down.  I liked it. 

Tonya - The only song I know tonight. Pretty good. The boots didn’t have high heels, so it made her look flat footed and a little clunky. Still don’t like her. 

Mirai - Amazing! Her arms were just beautiful the whole time. It really helps to be a skater. Wonderful! Bet we won’t see Nancy Kerrigan in the ballroom this season. 

Arike - Wearing heels! So much better than last week. She could dance a little more. I noticed sometimes he was moving and she was just standing there like a statue. 

Adam - Gets the pimp spot. Not surprised at all. Wait, when did Mirai have time to go to Disneyland? That was good. Not the best of the night. 

Team 50s Tennis - Tonya drama! Not surprised by that either. That was a hot mess. Kareem looked lost. They were not quite in sync. Chris and Josh continue to shine. 

Team 70s Football - They’re really pushing Adam. No one else got a separate interview. It looked like he was doing breakdancing. That is not the 70s. The dancing was good but I was more entertained by Tennis. 

Jeopardy - hope it’s Tonya and Kareem. Oh no!Please don’t eliminare Chris!

Gone - Kareem and Arike going home. I’m okay with that. They both danced better this week. 

I will miss Kareem. 

• Love 2

Oh look at that, "10" paddles in week 2! Was it fixed so that Adam and Mirai would get the exact same score? If Adam and/or Mirai performed the way they did in Week 2 of a 10-week season you know there would be no 10s, maybe one or two 9s at most.

Totally called it on tonight's eliminations. Next week I predict that Jennie will definitely go home, and possibly Josh, since he didn't improve from the first week. Chris was better this week, but I think Tonya is better known which could either help or hinder her. If it helps her, Chris will go home, because I don't think he is as technically good as Tonya. It will kind of depend on whether TPTB want an all-skating Finale or not.

(edited)

I'm sorry to see Kareem go because he just made me smile. No idea how Jennie survived since I thought she was toast. I guess in the competition of male pros who are just meh, Keo beats Gleb by a nose.

Very impressed with Tonya, more than I expected to be. I really like Josh and hope he makes the finals. He seemed to get really hosed tonight so I wonder if he's giving Adam a run for his money in votes. Or rather, if Sharna is giving Jenna one.

Jenna irritates me so bad. I thought she overpowered Adam in their individual dance and I couldn't help noticing she was front and center not only choreographing the team dance but in dancing it too. It's a shame in such a short season with some good dancers that the winner was predetermined before the season even started.....but I guess we need to keep Val happy if we want him back next season (with the rest of the fam in tow). 

I really wish this season wasn't so short. I'm having trouble getting really enthused knowing it's over in a couple of weeks already.

Wheeeeee! How could I forget the best part of the night.....RASHAD!!!!!

Edited by Toonces464
Forgot!
  • Love 8

What was the song that made Jennie uncomfortable? Arkie was better, but could've done more, but I guess Gleb didn't want to push her being that she's also in school. Adam needs to stop crying a river about his schedule. Arkie only spoke about her schedule because Erin asked. In a regular season that quick step would've been all 8s. Mirai was good, but she's still annoying. Josh was good but not a good as last week.  Kareem is a living legend which made me sad to see him go. In a regular season he would've made it a lot further, just because of his legendary status. Arkie is now free to focus on her finals. 

P.S. I was more entertained by team 1950s tennis than team football.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm sorry to see Kareem go because he just made me smile. No idea how Jennie survived since I thought she was toast. I guess in the competition of male pros who are just meh, Keo beats Gleb by a nose.

Very impressed with Tonya, more than I expected to be. I really like Josh and hope he makes the finals. He seemed to get really hosed tonight so I wonder if he's giving Adam a run for his money in votes. Or rather, if Sharna is giving Jenna one.

Jenna irritates me so bad. I thought she overpowered Adam in their individual dance and I couldn't help noticing she was front and center not only choreographing the team dance but in dancing it too. It's a shame in such a short season with some good dancers that the winner was predetermined before the season even started.....but I guess we need to keep Val happy if we want him back next season (with the rest of the fam in tow). 

I really wish this season wasn't so short. I'm having trouble getting really enthused knowing it's over in a couple of weeks already.

It irritated me so much that Jenna, who has only been a pro one season and was eliminated on the first week, was taking charge and taking over in the team dance, but then I thought, well, her co-choreographer teammates are Keo, Gleb and Alan. I suppose out of that lineup I'd take charge too, though Alan did good work with Heather.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

It will kind of depend on whether TPTB want an all-skating Finale or not.

Not out of the realm of possibilities.  The standings after tonight:

Adam #1 with accumulated 98 points

Mirai #2, 97 points

Tonya #3, 89 points

Chris and Josh tied #4, 87 points

Jennie #5, 84 points

8 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

It irritated me so much that Jenna, who has only been a pro one season and was eliminated on the first week, was taking charge and taking over in the team dance, but then I thought, well, her co-choreographer teammates are Keo, Gleb and Alan. I suppose out of that lineup I'd take charge too, though Alan did good work with Heather.

I think Alan is more than capable of choreographing.  Jury is out on the other two.  But I also think that is just Jenna's personality.  She is very take charge, which is fine, but I also think she's the type to steam roll you if you let her.  If she had been on the Sharna and Lindsay team, while I'm sure she would have been part of the choreographing mix, I highly doubt they would have just let her come in and take full control.  They likely would have pushed back. It helped Jenna's cause that she was on a team with a bunch of pros with very little team dance experience.  However the part Jenna doesn't need to do is choreograph the dance and then choreograph it to make herself the star.  

Also when a season is only four weeks, I guess you have to come out with 10's on week two.  It's ridiculous, but on a shortened time frame they are going to make arcs even if they don't exist.  After all, the show is already halfway done and the celebs have done barely anything.  How anyone could get attached to celebs/pros in this timeframe unless they were attached already coming in, I don't know.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I guess in the competition of male pros who are just meh, Keo beats Gleb by a nose.

Surprisingly accurate, at least for me. I find I dislike Keo less as a pro when Gleb is around. 

This season is meh for me. I'm still over the all the skaters, Tonya included. This season is about Chris and Josh, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 8

I don't wanna know what the song is that made Jennie uncomfortable as I think it was a rogue attempt to capture a specific audience element and I suspect that the show was not utterly happy with it.  She danced #2 AND she was really hesitant and sloppy.  I think the show was telegraphing that they want her gone by not telling us what the song was but still spending the whole of her damn package quacking on about it.  I'm plenty irritated with her due to the edit monkeys manipulating me and I don't know her from Adam.

• Love 5

I was hoping it was Mark in the bear suit given his propensity for costumes. That would have been pretty funny.

Adam is quick with the retorts, like his reply about where he got his suit.

It was a pretty entertaining night, but the team dances were all over the place for me, i couldn't tell who was whom with everyone wearing the same thing and (almost) all the women being blond.

I still can't stand CAI. But wow, Len is so positive? It's like he's working to keep his blood pressure down by being the nice judge. Although since the season is HALF OVER! I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

I gave all my votes to Chris already, hoping he will stay another week although it doesn't look good with three going.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, spunky said:

P.S. I was more entertained by team 1950s tennis than team football.

Me too.

37 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I'm sure Val was also making a ton of coaching appearances via Facetime/Skype.

4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It was a pretty entertaining night, but the team dances were all over the place for me, i couldn't tell who was whom with everyone wearing the same thing and (almost) all the women being blond.

During the team dance, Sharna being the only non-blonde really stood out to me tonight.

• Love 3

I think Tonya and Sasha have really good chemistry (not sexual chemistry, but friendship chemistry).  I wish she hadn't pulled her hair back like that.

Adam's suit ftw - I watched him exclusively in their dance and that suit was at least haf the reason why.  He was very good in that quickstep.

I thought that Lindsey and whoever that was who was dancing with Lindsey on her shoulders did a funny thing.  Not laugh out loud funny, but I smiled a lot.  They did it well and as per usual, Lindsey knows when a joke is over (I'm looking at you Sasha and that damn bear)....

• Love 5

Wow Kareem was a terrible part of that tennis dance.  Just terrible.  I loved the girls coming down the stairs wtih the tennis rackets.  That was a bizarre but oddly attractive version of whatever the hell that song was.

"Instant Replay" is the style of disco that I never really liked and didn't ever want to hear again.  They weren't bad.

• Love 1

I think the most entertaining thing about all that was Lindsey and Kareem. It's all Lindsey and not Kareem, but Lindsey's becoming my MVP for consistently entertaining dances. (And props to Hayley for pulling that off.) That was just fun. 

Disney's need for a Disney commercial every season is getting gross. "Mirai loves Disney!" Sure she does. ?They emptied the Disney prop closet onto the stage for that one. 

Gleeeeeeb, I know Arike was toast this week anyway, and her dance was fine, but why put her in that color? You can do a conservative dress without it looking like a Mother of the Bride dress. 

1 hour ago, spunky said:

What was the song that made Jennie uncomfortable?

I've seen claims it was "You Make Me Feel" by Janelle Monae, which if true...is not that risque? The video is sexy, and the album is more overtly about her sexuality, but the song on face value is just medium sexy. Fine, I guess. Jennie's definitely out next week. 

I'll give props to Sasha, he's got a strategy with Tonya, and he's working hard to make her memorable each week. You can't vote people out, only in, and he might be doing enough. It just might get him into the finals. On a normal season, I'd say handsome Chris would be there, but I'm not sure if he has enough time to make an impression this season. And since there's always at least one person I don't particularly like in the final, I'm going to go out on a limb and say my new final 3 guess is: Tonya, Adam, Josh. 

Mirai is a good candidate for being "shockingly eliminated" for "not connecting with the audience" (and crying over scores, the audience hates that)

• Love 5
(edited)

I watched for a while. Will make myself finish it – I guess. Anyway, I was more interested in watching Nathan Chen sitting in the audience than the actual show – and he wasn’t really doing anything but sitting there, clapping. At least that part was real and not overly manipulated.

Anyway, I thought Josh had a back injury when I watched his Paso Doble. The weird way he was standing – it was like he couldn’t bend even 10 degrees forward. (I haven’t seen the team thing so maybe he was ok in that.) And there by Tom at the end, Sharna seemed to uber-emphasize what a hard hard week they’d had. I think she mentioned that a reason was that Josh had started practice. I assumed she meant football practice (that is the sport he plays, isn’t it?) Anyway, the judges were pleased – but though I liked him last week, I thought his Paso was terrible. If he goes home next week, maybe I’m right about his real job starting back up and it’s time to say adios.

WTH was going on about the too-risque’ number that we’re too delicate to hear the name of, but which they were actually going to dance to for a couple days? What a gratuitous ploy to get family-values viewers to make all manner of assumptions and decide she’s their kind of woman, just in case we didn’t get the message last week with her children in the dance with her. It’s so disorienting, on a show that’s promoting Tonya Effing Harding, FGS. This is Orwellian or Fahrenheit 451... I feel like they're taking me for a fool or degraded or something.

Anyway, it does feel like they want a skater finale. I don’t blame them. I’m a Tonya-hater just on principle (based on her handwriting on a paper the FBI found implicating her in the lead pipe assault), so like Adam Rippon said, uh, she tried to KILL SOMEONE folks (or at least that’s how I also feel about it.) If it weren’t for that, I’d like her 3rd best I think – her dancing is good, considering her age and shape and I like Sasha. I wonder if OJ turned out to be great at the waltz... well, never mind. But I’m almost ready to say what the hell, I’ll chow down on whatever gruel they put in my trough, it’s just a stupid nihilistic world and I’m watching a reality show because... well, to watch Nathan clap I guess.

The pros seem more jaded than I am, except Lindsay I guess; maybe I’ll root for her next week, if she does a sexy strut with Artem or Gleb before a commercial break. This season is really awkward and makes me slightly nauseous (or is every season like this now? I was ok with it for a few years but now - blech!)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 6
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I watched for a while. Will make myself finish it – I guess. Anyway, I was more interested in watching Nathan Chen sitting in the audience than the actual show – and he wasn’t really doing anything but sitting there, clapping. At least that part was real and not overly manipulated.

I just wanted to say that your profile picture makes me smile. I lived in Bregenz when the program was The Masked Ball and I used to walk down to the waterfront and look at the stage almost every day. :-) I took my own pictures of it and now when I see other people's, it's like a little "in" thing. (my picture isn't as good but it still has the 35 mm timestamp, ha ha). 

I don't really know who I am rooting for this time around. Tonya, I guess. I WANT to root for her. It gives me anxiety watching and listening to her, though. I keep thinking that she's going to say or do something that's going to be really dumb. She really does kind of have that foot in mouth disease thing going on, and yet I still like her. Or, rather, I feel sorry for her. 

stage.jpg

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 6
(edited)
3 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I couldn't help noticing she was front and center not only choreographing the team dance but in dancing it to

My first thought was who decided to let Jenna be the boss ?

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Morrigan said:

so like Adam Rippon said, uh, she tried to KILL SOMEONE folks

I don't think the intent was to KILL anyone.

Training camp hasn't started yet so I wonder where Josh was ?

And, last but not least, I love Rashad !!!

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, MsJamieDornan said:

According to Sharna's IG stories, they were in South Carolina (I'm pretty sure that's where) at his (or his family's) farm with lots of beautiful horses.  I know nothing about his team or where they would have training camp.  There were just lots of beautiful horses.  I didn't see any IG stories about anything football-related.

• Love 1

If you had ever told me I would see Kareem Abdul-Jabbar dance to a 1950's tennis-inspired routine backed by an Elvis imitator's version of "Hit Me Baby One More Time," I would have thought you were crazy. 

• Love 24
(edited)
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I just wanted to say that your profile picture makes me smile. I lived in Bregenz when the program was The Masked Ball and I used to walk down to the waterfront and look at the stage almost every day. :-) I took my own pictures of it and now when I see other people's, it's like a little "in" thing. (my picture isn't as good but it still has the 35 mm timestamp, ha ha). 

I don't really know who I am rooting for this time around. Tonya, I guess. I WANT to root for her. It gives me anxiety watching and listening to her, though. I keep thinking that she's going to say or do something that's going to be really dumb. She really does kind of have that foot in mouth disease thing going on, and yet I still like her. Or, rather, I feel sorry for her. 

stage.jpg

Oh wow - I'd love to live there and see that every day :)  It's the coolest thing! I'm jealous - what a beautiful place!! and piece of art!

I did go back and watch the rest of the show (minus most of the judges' crap and other extraneous stuff.) When I was watching and listening to Mirai, I imagined a 6 year old saying the exact words (at Disneyland) and I think they would fit rather well. But then, the rehearsal videos are nearly always stupid, and I think nearly always scripted to the very word, so ok - what's wrong with being cutesy? I did think Meryl's expression while applauding Mirai looked very cold, but then I didn't watch Meryl's season and shouldn't take that line of inquiry any further... My boy Nathan's smile was very genuine :)

Oh and I think last week someone was saying Mirai was just doing the very common valley-girl stuff - I sought out some Kim Kardashian videos and I like the way she speaks - I like glottal fry (my son's every word is in it) - I like uptalk (I do it - and the fry sometimes). I think it's the baby talk more than those two characteristics, but maybe that's a southern California girl thing too (except not Kim).  I don't remember ever being bothered by someone's voice this much - not even Fran Drescher or Marilyn Monroe or Judy Holliday etc... It just seems so, well, first-graderish (I had thought high school but I've backed her up, maybe due to Disney?) but also so phony as though she's ever ever so sweet and vulnerable (but not really).

Anyway, I'm rooting for Adam first and Mirai second, and I don't even know why -- I guess because I knew them beforehand from figure skating, which I'm a fan of, and they're VERY good dancers imo. I'm not sure what the judges are seeing in Josh and Chris. (My perennial belief: the judges are seeing the producers' script, that they memorized that afternoon, in their mind's eye - and in the notes on the desk in front of them.)

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

And, last but not least, I love Rashad !!!

I just watched the second half and Sharna did mention Josh had training camp all next week, and then earlier in the show, she mentioned that's why this past week was so ridiculously hard for them (and that's why he missed the team dance rehearsal).  Well, I'm 90% sure that's what was said - it was all such a blur. Maybe the show's making it up to explain why he's booted next week (assuming that happens).

I hadn't really thought of what Tonya may have done as attempted murder either - but IF she was involved - a plot to hit someone in the leg with a lead pipe could lead to their death, through her recognizing them and the attackers panicking or missing or getting into a struggle with her and killing her - or infection... It could certainly destroy her career, cause permanent disability, and possibly lead to depression/post-traumatic stress disorder/suicide, etc. Anyway, I hadn't thought of it that way until Adam Rippon said it.

I know I 'would' like her if I didn't always think of her possibly/likely being involved in that. Oh and her making the whole incident about herself. Anyway, it is what it is... If she wins, I'll faint.

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 2

I've yet to see Adam come anywhere near his potential. I haven't liked any of his dances so far and I'm trying not to assume it's because of his teacher but it has to be. Hopefully this changes as it's still only week 2.

• Love 2

Wow, they are really overscoring Kareem! I really like the guy and the dance was cute, but he moves so stiffly it's almost unbelievable. The poor guy looks like he's full of Arthritis and I should know; I am, too. I'm glad they aren't humiliating him but 7s? I was surprised he wasn't eliminated last week. He's cute, though, and I'm enjoying him.

• Love 6

I enjoyed this week but it's not that exciting knowing it's over in 2 weeks. I imagine some of the pros feel ripped off by this format. Jenna got a great partner in Adam yet will only have him 4 weeks. Granted Jenna may get a mirror ball from this, so I doubt she feels too ripped off. However, Keo got a good partner for himself who seems popular enough to outlast 4 other competitors, yet it's only for a condensed format. I'm sure he would have liked Jennie as a partner in a normal season.

Was I the only one confused by Arike's critiques? She did improve, but I just kept seeing her stand in place and Gleb dance around her. I think I was half paying attention though, so those moments really stood out for me. I think her dancing wasn't that great though, so I'm fine with her leaving. I did really enjoy her personality and packages though. It was also nice seeing a female contestant who isn't as comfortable in the heels, dresses, etc.  I don't think we see as many tomboys on the show.

Josh was not as good this week, and starting at the top isn't great. But if he started first this week, maybe they will put him later in the show next week which could help him. I think he could make the finals if he performs like he did week 1.

I don't think all 3 figure skaters will make it to the finals. Adam and Mirai probably will, but I could also see some votes being cancelled out. I was impressed by both Mirai and Adam again this week.

Tonya is actually pretty good. I really enjoyed her dance this week and that could appeal to some of the viewer base of this show. I do have empathy for Tonya, but she also has a huge victim complex. I do think her husband played the brunt of the role in the attack against Nancy, but Tonya always acts like she was the one victimized over the whole thing. If she just owned up to what happened instead of acting 100% innocent I think people would have been more likely to forgive her. She seems the type to just always be woe is me though. I know she did have a tough life, but people don't enjoy watching others mope all the time. Plus some of her problems were her own doing, so it's harder to sympathize for someone's struggles when they bring them on themselves.

Chris and Witney are a nice pairing. Chris seems nice and is easy on the eyes so I could see them appealing to voters. He actually is a pretty good dancer too. I thought he did better this week, and he had a better placement in the show.

I was actually a little sad to see Kareem go. He was clearly the worst, but he is very likable. Nobody expected him to be a great dancer with his height and age, and also whatever health ailments he may have. He was so fun though I will miss having him around.

I was surprised Jennie stayed until week 3, but was happy since she is paired with Keo. I honestly don't think Keo is that great of a pro, he doesn't seem to connect as well with his partners. I still root for him though.

In the team dances, I didn't like either that much. I didn't think Team Tennis was hilarious like Erin said. I actually enjoyed Team Football more. I wasn't surprised Jenna took charge on Team Football because the other choreographers were Alan, Gleb, and Keo. The only other pro from that group who I could maybe see taking charge is Gleb. I think Alan and Keo are more likely to step back just based on their personalities. The other team had the more seasoned pros in Sharna, Lindsay, and Witney.

I don't know who to predict for the finale. I will say Adam is definitely going to be in it, but not sure of the other 2. Mirai will probably make it, but votes could cancel out. Josh, Chris or Tonya all have a decent shot. I think it will depend on how the dances go next week. I'm predicting Josh or Chris to round out the top 3 with Adam and Mirai.

• Love 3

Mirai, you are upset with the scores two weeks in, in a short season at that?  Good thing she isn't in a long season...the dramatics usually don't start until the fatigue sets in later on.  I don't think she has the stamina for this based on her getting upset so soon.  Plus, she seemed more bothered about her results here than she did in the sport she has trained in for many years--she could have shown some of this in the individual event at the Olympics and it would have made much more sense.  

• Love 4

I didn’t mind Jenna taking charge in the team dance rehearsals because as others have said none of the pros in that group have very much team dance experience. Plus I know she always helps with choreo a lot in seasons when she is not a pro. Girl is take charge, nothing wrong with that.

What I DID mind was that she was basically the only person I noticed in that dance because she continually put herself front and center. It wasn’t even like she put herself and her partner front and center which I could forgive a bit more but there were multiple times when the focus was on her, just her. It was obnoxious. She already mugs for the camera like crazy so it’s hard not to notice her even in the background. There was no need to make herself such a focus.

• Love 11
50 minutes ago, TeeMo said:

What I DID mind was that she was basically the only person I noticed in that dance because she continually put herself front and center. It wasn’t even like she put herself and her partner front and center which I could forgive a bit more but there were multiple times when the focus was on her, just her. It was obnoxious. She already mugs for the camera like crazy so it’s hard not to notice her even in the background. There was no need to make herself such a focus.

Yes, this! Watching that dance I kept wondering why SHE was front and center and I didn't have a clue where Adam was.

• Love 4

This show is lame.  Thick torsoed, no neck Tonya is such a lumpen dancer.  Add a stupid camo accented dress, have a dancing bear, and set all that velveeta cheese to Redneck Woman, and you have cringe fucking city.  No, I’m not buying this stodgy, stout woman as a dancer.  

Football guy seems good, and is attractive.

Mirai is the best, but won’t last because of her personality.  Nice work show getting footage of her crying to sabotage her.  I’m sure much worse footage of the gracile ms Harding exists, but that lout is being pushed down the viewers throats.   

• Love 3

I think Len is giving all of the dancers a pass on many things that he would not ordinarily ignore because it is a short season with all athletes.  Maybe he should have stayed in England for this one.  I liked Rashad as a guest host.

• Love 3
(edited)

Well boo hoo, a real role model for girls (Arike) is gone while the vile Harding lives on. It's pretty obvious that TPTB is giving her a gift ticket to the finals. Way to go, show.

Rashad is a gorgeous man, but he is a horrible judge. Enough of the guest judges, already.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, XrystalPond said:

According to the case files, the original plan included murder and permanent injury/disability. It was never plotted out that way but apparently was discussed as an option. 

Yes, and the only people ever convicted of involvement in that plan were Tonya's ex-husband Jeff, the hitman Shane Stant, and Sean Eckhardt the "bodyguard."

Shane Stant resurfaced for the first time in decades recently, and admitted he never saw Tonya directly planning anything. It was always hearsay through her ex-husband. 

Tonya's career failures in skating were hers, and she should own them. It wasn't always ALL the USFSA's fault. But the revocation of that career? Sorry, far too harsh a punishment considering she was never convicted of planning it and numerous male athletes have done FAR worse over the years, been convicted in court, and been able to go right back to work.

I like Tonya's dancing, I adore Sasha, and considering what we have to choose from in this shortened season, I'm hoping Tonya takes it all. I'd love to see Sasha take a season. I always feel bad that he did the best work with Nastia Liukin a few years back, but Derek was constantly there to take the spotlight. At least when Max got injured, he stayed out of the way and let Alan do great work with Heather without glory-hogging.

• Love 7

So why did the FBI find notes about Nancy's practice schedule written in Tonya's handwriting in a dumpster? Either she is really stupid or she was somehow involved. Her husband admitted she played a role, and she accepted a plea deal. No one ever cleared her of anything.

Adam and Johnny Weir and several other figure skaters want nothing to do with her. I'd believe figure skating insiders over some Hollywood schmucks who want to rewrite history to make a few bucks.

• Love 17

Also not for nothing but while ahe waa banned from usfsa sanctioned events she was allowed to do non sanctioned events but no one wanted to skate with her. 

4 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

So why did the FBI find notes about Nancy's practice schedule written in Tonya's handwriting in a dumpster? Either she is really stupid or she was somehow involved. Her husband admitted she played a role, and she accepted a plea deal. No one ever cleared her of anything.

Adam and Johnny Weir and several other figure skaters want nothing to do with her. I'd believe figure skating insiders over some Hollywood schmucks who want to rewrite history to make a few bucks.

I always equated the ban more like the ban on the 1919 White Sox or Pete Rose whose actions were directly affected the competitive nature of the game.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Rashad is a gorgeous man, but he is a horrible judge. Enough of the guest judges, already.

I thought he was one of the best judges they've ever had. He spoke from experience but also from watching. I thought all his critiques were really good.

• Love 9

Anyway, I thought Josh had a back injury when I watched his Paso Doble. The weird way he was standing – it was like he couldn’t bend even 10 degrees forward

He looked like he was holding his weight way up in his shoulders.  I thought it was a great-bells-and-whistles bad bad dance.

Arike's dress was downright uglifying.  The colour didn't suit her and it was way too long for its cut - it should have been 4" above her ankle.  I'm sorry she's gone so soon -- I think she would have lasted longer in a regular season where people had a chance to get to know her, because I liked her pretty much instantly.  But of course, Canadians are not allowed to vote again.

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

The thing I can’t forgive is a grown ass woman thinking there is a skating rink named “tunee can” arena.  That’s why I can’t stand her.  She was and remains willfully ignorant and uneducated . The insistence on staying the stupid redneck 24 years later when she’s travelled to Europe and Asia, and performed all over the country on tour.  She presents herself as an unpleasant, stereotypical yokel. Not to mention never taking personal responsibility in those 24 years. 

I also think her dancing is leaden, and she’s woefully outmatched by the two younger skaters.  And yes, she’s heavy and not in an attractive way.  Looking at her is looking at regret, squandered opportunities, and ass backwardsness.  She could have taken the few years of her probation and got some kind of education, coached low income kids, and built a charity.  That would have rehabbed her image, and ten years later her life could have been successful, and she could have earned respect.  But not Tonya, she could never not be the minimum wage earning victim laboring away in her self imposed caste system.

i guess it’s sad.  But she had more opportunity than most of us , and she blew it.  Second verse, same as the first.  It’s like watching Groundhog Day. 

• Love 6

Thoughts on contestants for week 2 (in alphabetical order):

Adam & Jenna - thought it was an energetic, bold quickstep that showed plenty of spring in his step, and think its nice to see how watchable the couple still is two weeks into the competition. Despite scheduling demands, thought they used the floor well, showed a bit of acting, and was pleased to see how Adam had a bit of a showman vibe to his repertoire. In between the leg slide and mini-jumping jete, thought the stolen glances in hold revealed something special between the couple as well. Maybe the upper body could be a bit calm, with a bit more shaping from the sternum to the top of his head for more body contact in hold. Though his hand behind Jenna's back could be a bit closed, thought it was nice to see how flexible his legs were in the routine, and that maybe a split on the floor could possibly make its way around the corner. Nonetheless, think the couple should continue what they're doing, and to add in new layers to their performance every week.

Chris & Witney - thought it was nice to watch a modern Shakesperean Viennese Waltz performance unfold, and felt Witney penned the choreography well, as she sprinkled in moments of shadow, dips, and stretching out in hold among the traditional steps. Thought the staging, storytelling, insightful package all created a positive synergistic effect on their overall performance, and think it left an even positive impression of the couple as a whole. Agree that Chris improved this week, as he was better able to blend together steps, to display better musicality, and to fill in the space of the music; there seems to be a honesty to his dance that draws one to his performance. Still think he can extend/rotate his arms a bit more when out of hold (to be free in his space, and not to feel constricted), to look a bit to the corners of the studio in hold (not the ceiling), and to create a bit of a leftward pull on his body (with head a bit to the left) in his natural turns. Nonetheless, feel this is a nice partnership that's working and thriving and think they should continue to strive moving forward.

Mirai & Alan - thought the ending of the Disney field trip was a great segue into their foxtrot performance, as it allowed one to share/relive in Mirai's romanticism of Disney from her past down to the present. As soon as the genteel rise/fall of the feather step surfaced, followed by the timely fallaway in hold, thought all was going to be well in the studio as the couple didn't disappoint. Thought Alan did a nice job showcasing Mirai's arms, as she wrapped the music well with nice fluidity and musicality throughout. In addition, thought the mini acting vignettes, the control of the beautiful slows, the nice extension in her legs and the soft knees in pivots all contributed to a nice, magical experience. Think she still struggles a bit with finding her footing whenever going through a double arm underturn, but manages to keep up with the routine nonetheless. Like how Mirai keeps high expectations for herself, and looking forward to what the couple can do different this week, to continue keeping the audience even more entertained.

Tonya & Sasha - thought it was a light, breezy quickstep, and that it was nice to see from the rehearsal footage to the performance, how good her conditioning seems to be. Nice to see her on the balls of the feet throughout, the promenade runs/lock showing a nice sync together in hold, and how well she matched Sasha's elevation during the assisted aerial kick towards the end. Despite the flurry of steps, thought she also did a good job of juggling with the unexpected bear visitor, while selling the performance with her facial expression and out of hold moments. Thought in her week 1 foxtrot, she showed a bit of a disconnect/independence from Sasha at the very beginning (eventually merging with him later in the performance), but that the judges this week, were keen on picking up on how their was a bit of a give-and-take/reciprocating action with Sasha this time around. Though it may be a work in progress for Tonya to continue ceding a bit more control and to include Sasha, think this week is a positive step in the right direction for the couple and an improvement from last week as well.

Watchlist:

------- & -------

Best of luck to all the celebs and looking forward to their dances.

• Love 2
(edited)

In watching the team dances, I do think Jenna put herself front and center in the solo work partly to lead the other females since she was the only female pro.  It comes off kind of annoying since she's the only female pro and therefore your eye always is drawn to her in the front and what she's doing as opposed to what the non-trained ladies behind her are doing, so it probably doesn't play as intended.  But I do think the idea was partly to give the other ladies some confidence so they could follow her if needed.  But that is where  Jenna needs to learn a bit as I think there were other ways to get where she was trying to go without putting herself directly in front.  We've definitely had team dances before where there is only one pro of a certain gender and they found better ways to blend.

That said, this is why there should never be team dances on week two because the celebs can't handle them at that point.  Also Team Tennis was coming in with better pros, but a much bigger handicap in terms of celebs and ability to move.  It was easier to get the Team Football people to blend.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 4
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

The thing I can’t forgive is a grown ass woman thinking there is a skating rink named “tunee can” arena.  That’s why I can’t stand her.  She was and remains willfully ignorant and uneducated . The insistence on staying the stupid redneck 24 years later when she’s travelled to Europe and Asia, and performed all over the country on tour.  She presents herself as an unpleasant, stereotypical yokel. Not to mention never taking personal responsibility in those 24 years. 

I also think her dancing is leaden, and she’s woefully outmatched by the two younger skaters.  And yes, she’s heavy and not in an attractive way.  Looking at her is looking at regret, squandered opportunities, and ass backwardsness.  She could have taken the few years of her probation and got some kind of education, coached low income kids, and built a charity.  That would have rehabbed her image, and ten years later her life could have been successful, and she could have earned respect.  But not Tonya, she could never not be the minimum wage earning victim laboring away in her self imposed caste system.

i guess it’s sad.  But she had more opportunity than most of us , and she blew it.  Second verse, same as the first.  It’s like watching Groundhog Day. 

It doesn't bother me that she's heavy, but yes, she hasn't done any charity work or anything to show us that she actually cares about other people, unlike Meryl Davis and Charlie White and countless other figure skaters who give back to the community. I wouldn't be surprised if she blows whatever money she is making out of this on booze or cigarettes or whatever it is that she does these days. And I wish dwts would stop passing her off as a figure skater, as she is no longer one!

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 6

O how I wish Arike could have had someone like Allen or Sasha than Gleb.  I just dont like Gleb and I felt like at times he thought he was too good for his partner and that just rubbed me the wrong way.

• Love 3
(edited)

I agree that Team dances in week 2 are just absurd. I felt awful that poor Kareem seemed to be stressed in the team rehearsal that he was holding them back. In a regular season Kareem would never have made it as far as team dance week and he would not have to feel that pressure. It is just mean to put that on the contestants at this point, particularly the older or less naturally talented contestants.

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 7

Random thoughts: 

Me: I wonder who got stuck in the bear suit.
Kids: It's Sasha.
Me: But Sasha's the pro in this dance.
Kids: ...But it's always Sasha...
He does usually get stuck in the crab suit and whatnot.

Tanya certainly got over her first week nerves. I don't think I've ever seen someone that nervous on week 1 be that un-nervous on week 2. She looked like the pre-scandal Tanya I was a fan of way back when.

I was very impressed with Chris, and wish I could see what he could do in a full season. 

Tanya is so short she barely comes up to Kareem's belly button! 

And that's about it. 

• Love 6

I'm loving Adam and Jenna. They really have awesome chemistry. 

I don't get why they were picking on Jenny and Josh. They weren't THAT much worse than everyone else. Are they setting them up to go next week? They were a bit stiff, but so were Chris, Arike and Tonya. None of them were bad and would be fine on a regular season, but Adam and Mirai are pretty much head and shoulders above everyone else. It pisses me off that they gave Mirai the crying edit though. WTH???

• Love 4