Type keyword(s) to search

S26.E02: Week 2

• Start Topic

I just adore Adam Rippon, and I am thrilled that he's doing so well!  He and Jenna make a good team.  I actually like Jenna for the most part.  I loved her on SYTYCD, and I've mostly enjoyed her on this show.  I'm glad someone up-thread mentioned that they thought she put herself in front during the team dance to give the others the ability to follow her, because that's what I figured as well.  I get what people are saying about her loving the camera, but honestly a lot of pro dancers do as well.   It seems to me she does it far less now than when she first started, as she gets better at doing the show.  So I have been hoping since this pairing was first announced that the dislike of her wouldn't drag him down.  Still hoping that.  I want to see him win.  :)

Mirai is also doing very well.  I thought her dance was just lovely.  She doesn't annoy me quite as much as she annoys some.

I am annoyed that I am enjoying Tonya's dancing.  I don't like her, and I want her gone, but I thought both her dances were good.  And Sasha is adorable.  < sigh >

I thought many of them did not do quite as well this week as last - Josh, Chris, Jenna were some.  Arike was better, though.  

Lindsey has become one of my favorite pros and choreographers.  I thought what she did with sitting on Hayley's shoulders at the beginning of that dance was just brilliant.  So clever and original, and she didn't let it go on too long.  She just always seems to come up with ways to showcase her partners and do something just a little different with them.  Sorry to see her go.  Sorry to see Kareem go. He was the typical "old" dancer, but he's just such a pleasant, likeable guy and he seemed like he was having a ball.

I really hate that this season is so short.  As someone mentioned last week, I think, if they were going to do a shortened season like this, they would have been much better served by bringing back some also-rans - folks that finished 2nd or 3rd in their season - and let them tackle the short season.  Even if they haven't danced in a while, they would still be able to pick things up more easily than this group.  I'm actually kind of amazed that, even with no "ringers" in the group, everyone is doing fairly well.  There are no real stinkers in the group.  And it aggravates me that the ones who are a little slower out of the gate won't get the chance to really develop the way they might over a full season.

I had a feeling they would do a triple elimination next week to get down to a 3-couple finale.  My guess for final three right now - Adam, Mirai and Josh.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I really hate that this season is so short.  As someone mentioned last week, I think, if they were going to do a shortened season like this, they would have been much better served by bringing back some also-rans - folks that finished 2nd or 3rd in their season - and let them tackle the short season.  Even if they haven't danced in a while, they would still be able to pick things up more easily than this group.  I'm actually kind of amazed that, even with no "ringers" in the group, everyone is doing fairly well.  There are no real stinkers in the group.  And it aggravates me that the ones who are a little out of the gate won't get the chance to really develop the way they might over a full season.

That was me, the thinking being we already know the contestants and their partnerships with their pros so it's easy to get behind them and not feel cheated out of the time it takes to get to know them.

I think Adam and Mirai are HUGE ringers. Huge. Up there with Evan and Kristy, just a step below the biggest ringers in the history of the show, Meryl and Charlie.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

I just adore Adam Rippon, and I am thrilled that he's doing so well!  He and Jenna make a good team.  I actually like Jenna for the most part.  I loved her on SYTYCD, and I've mostly enjoyed her on this show.  I'm glad someone up-thread mentioned that they thought she put herself in front during the team dance to give the others the ability to follow her, because that's what I figured as well.  I get what people are saying about her loving the camera, but honestly a lot of pro dancers do as well.   It seems to me she does it far less now than when she first started, as she gets better at doing the show.  So I have been hoping since this pairing was first announced that the dislike of her wouldn't drag him down.  Still hoping that.  I want to see him win.  :)

I agree. Jenna is just so good you can’t take your eyes off her. I don’t follow her personal life and I can’t stand Val, but I do like Jenna as a dancer. I’m just surprised Val hasn’t inserted himself into her routines yet. I’m fully expecting that he’s going to make his presence known in the final.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Morrigan said:

Oh wow - I'd love to live there and see that every day :)  It's the coolest thing! I'm jealous - what a beautiful place!! and piece of art!

I did go back and watch the rest of the show (minus most of the judges' crap and other extraneous stuff.) When I was watching and listening to Mirai, I imagined a 6 year old saying the exact words (at Disneyland) and I think they would fit rather well. But then, the rehearsal videos are nearly always stupid, and I think nearly always scripted to the very word, so ok - what's wrong with being cutesy? I did think Meryl's expression while applauding Mirai looked very cold, but then I didn't watch Meryl's season and shouldn't take that line of inquiry any further... My boy Nathan's smile was very genuine :)

Oh and I think last week someone was saying Mirai was just doing the very common valley-girl stuff - I sought out some Kim Kardashian videos and I like the way she speaks - I like glottal fry (my son's every word is in it) - I like uptalk (I do it - and the fry sometimes). I think it's the baby talk more than those two characteristics, but maybe that's a southern California girl thing too (except not Kim).  I don't remember ever being bothered by someone's voice this much - not even Fran Drescher or Marilyn Monroe or Judy Holliday etc... It just seems so, well, first-graderish (I had thought high school but I've backed her up, maybe due to Disney?) but also so phony as though she's ever ever so sweet and vulnerable (but not really).

Anyway, I'm rooting for Adam first and Mirai second, and I don't even know why -- I guess because I knew them beforehand from figure skating, which I'm a fan of, and they're VERY good dancers imo. I'm not sure what the judges are seeing in Josh and Chris. (My perennial belief: the judges are seeing the producers' script, that they memorized that afternoon, in their mind's eye - and in the notes on the desk in front of them.)

I always wondered whether Marai unconsciously wanted to excentuate her American heritage with the extreme Valley talk.  I don’t believe everyone was comfortable with how Asia American women were excelling in skating and the wanted their white American princesses back.  Ironic what a great princesses she was on Disney night.  I’m not saying there was overt racism just my feelings as a minority in America.  Hated when they Ashley her place in the prior Olympics and Ashley failed to perform.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kira53 said:

I always wondered whether Marai unconsciously wanted to excentuate her American heritage with the extreme Valley talk.  I don’t believe everyone was comfortable with how Asia American women were excelling in skating and the wanted their white American princesses back.  Ironic what a great princesses she was on Disney night.  I’m not saying there was overt racism just my feelings as a minority in America.  Hated when they Ashley her place in the prior Olympics and Ashley failed to perform.

You are aware that probably the most loved skater in the US is/was Michelle Kwan, right?  

• Love 5
21 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

My first thought was who decided to let Jenna be the boss ?

I rolled my eyes during the entire package and dance. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

You are aware that probably the most loved skater in the US is/was Michelle Kwan, right?  

And Kristi Yamaguchi.  And this American was quite fond of Midori Ito, who didn’t skate for the US.  

• Love 8

First round thoughts...

Josh-He has what I am calling the "Rashad Factor". He's got charisma, he's fun to watch, he dances well, and I can see him winning this season.

Jennie-I'm wondering what the original song was. She wasn't horrible, but I was kind of "meh" about the performance.

Kareem-Clever choreography by Lindsay, but he should be gone after tonight, he just isn't any where near as good as the rest of the contestants.

Chris-I think he is the dark horse of the season. I really enjoy watching his dances, and can see him taking the trophy as well.

Tonya-Is proving to be a competent dancer, and I hope that people give her a chance, but I don't see her winning in this field with the others who are also proving to be pretty good dancers.

Marai-I absolutely hate It's a Small World-it's the ear-worm to end all ear-worms for me-but her dance was beautiful.  

Arike-I didn't see what Len saw, I thought she stood in place quite a bit and let Gleb do the dancing. Would not be upset to see her leave tonight.

Adam-I don't particularly like him, but I can't argue with his dancing ability. 

Now to watch the team dances and eliminations.

• Love 1
(edited)

Mirai really hasn’t been shy about showing her Japanese heritage in her social media, like conversing with her parents in Japanese and showing the Japanese food her family cooks. I remember at one point during her down period, there was some chatter about her going to train in Japan, and there were a bunch of videos of  speaking in Japanese with skaters she was doing shows with. 

Also, Ashley was always going to go to Sochi, people! She was the one bright spot in the underperforming US women. It was a choice between Mirai, who had not really been doing well at all up to that point, and Polina, the untried rookie who was a candidate to be the next US star. Ashley later went on to end the US women’s world medal drought.

Anyway, this season seems really cheap and overtly artificial to me, like they’re trying to manipulate you to feel a certain way but aren’t putting the work in so you don’t feel manipulated. It’s like bad fan fiction, especially Mirai’s crying piece. Blah. 

I really liked Mirai’s dancing again this week. She has really nice lines, especially for a second week show. Adam was good, but the routine left me cold. Also, never thought I’d say this, but something about the way he holds himself seems off, like he needs to unclench a bit. Chris is adorable, want to see more of him.

Loved seeing Meryl in the audience (with her fiancé to her right). Adorable as always, and I hope she comes back for a dance or two!

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 4

If Chris had been gone tonight, I would have been upset! Jennie should be one of the ones to go next week. As for the other two to leave next week, it's anybody's game, but my favorites so far are Josh and Chris.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

8 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

Anyway, this season seems really cheap and overtly artificial to me, like they’re trying to manipulate you to feel a certain way but aren’t putting the work in so you don’t feel manipulated. It’s like bad fan fiction, especially Mirai’s crying piece. Blah. 

Agree, but that's how I feel about every season now.  

• Love 1

I think Jennie's a drama queen for being unwilling to dance to a snippet of some song that ABC was willing to play in prime time.  It's not like they asked her to make it her theme song.  She could've just made it clear in her package that she didn't personally approve of the lyrics and just did the dance.  And I thought her dancing sucked.  

I didn't like Tanya in '94 and I still don't.  She's always been a ball of muscle, which is terrific and what gives her good jumping abilities, but what I enjoy about watching figure skating is seeing the balance of strength and grace in the skaters.  She was never graceful or artistic to me.  And she always came across as desperate for approval and quick to play victim whenever something went wrong.  

I'm glad Kareem is out.  He was on some other reality show about diving (Splash) and I found him difficult to watch perform in that, too.  It's kind of sad to me when a 70+ athletic legend is out doing these shows.  I feel like they're parading him around like he's a circus freak or something.  

10 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

First round thoughts...

Josh-He has what I am calling the "Rashad Factor". He's got charisma, he's fun to watch, he dances well, and I can see him winning this season.

Jennie-I'm wondering what the original song was. She wasn't horrible, but I was kind of "meh" about the performance.

Kareem-Clever choreography by Lindsay, but he should be gone after tonight, he just isn't any where near as good as the rest of the contestants.

Chris-I think he is the dark horse of the season. I really enjoy watching his dances, and can see him taking the trophy as well.

Tonya-Is proving to be a competent dancer, and I hope that people give her a chance, but I don't see her winning in this field with the others who are also proving to be pretty good dancers.

Marai-I absolutely hate It's a Small World-it's the ear-worm to end all ear-worms for me-but her dance was beautiful.  

Arike-I didn't see what Len saw, I thought she stood in place quite a bit and let Gleb do the dancing. Would not be upset to see her leave tonight.

Adam-I don't particularly like him, but I can't argue with his dancing ability. 

Now to watch the team dances and eliminations.

Re Jennie's original song, here you go:

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/why-jennie-finch-wouldnt-dance-to-make-me-feel-on-dwts/

14 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I agree. Jenna is just so good you can’t take your eyes off her. I don’t follow her personal life and I can’t stand Val, but I do like Jenna as a dancer. I’m just surprised Val hasn’t inserted himself into her routines yet. I’m fully expecting that he’s going to make his presence known in the final.

I'm assuming both he and Maks will find a way to show up in the final. Did you happen to see Maks's IG story that night saying the reason Rashad had become such a good dancer was because of the lessons he took at DWM? I guess Emma had nothing to do with it.

11 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

Loved seeing Meryl in the audience (with her fiancé to her right). Adorable as always, and I hope she comes back for a dance or two!

I noticed Fedor sitting next to her. The last thing I want to see is her dancing through because that's all we need is for the Maksyl brigade to get fired up again.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm assuming both he and Maks will find a way to show up in the final. Did you happen to see Maks's IG story that night saying the reason Rashad had become such a good dancer was because of the lessons he took at DWM? I guess Emma had nothing to do with it.

I noticed Fedor sitting next to her. The last thing I want to see is her dancing through because that's all we need is for the Maksyl brigade to get fired up again.

OMG, Maks is taking credit for Rashad? That's just too hilarious, but I'm not surprised.

LMAO Meryl's actual figure skating fans knew she was dating Fedor while the Maksyls were passing out over the showmance. She has been dating him for years and she's finally marrying him. I wouldn't be surprised if the shippers actually do get fired up again if Meryl and Maks dance together again.

Edited by boyznkatz

So why did the FBI find notes about Nancy's practice schedule written in Tonya's handwriting in a dumpster? 

The things you think you "know" about the Tonya Harding case are largely speculative. There's a reason she was never tried for conspiracy and it's because they didn't have enough evidence against her. (It was never "proven" that was Harding's handwriting, for example.) We've read so much about the case over the last 20+ years it seems like we "know" things but nobody will ever really know the truth. What we do know is that she was never tried or convicted of the crimes her ex-husband and his cohorts were. She's been convicted in the court of public opinion - that's what it comes down to. Whether or not you think that's fair is a matter of opinion and the extent of her guilt is a matter of opinion. It is not "fact" despite what you think you know based on what you've heard, or read, or saw on TV.

I think she's doing remarkably well for her age and, frankly, body shape (although she seems to have lost quite a bit of weight since the last time I saw her on TV). And while she was never known as an artistic skater she did have the polish and poise necessary to get decent artistic scores - she couldn't win a National championship or a World silver medal on jumps alone. I think people downplayed or critiqued her artistry because she wasn't dainty little Michelle Kwan or Nancy Kerrigan but it's not like she was a klutz. She was often compared to Surya Bonaly in terms of artistry but Bonaly always seemed far more ungainly to me. I've gone back and watched a lot of Tonya's programs from the early 90s and they were surprisingly graceful and poised.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

OMG, Maks is taking credit for Rashad? That's just too hilarious, but I'm not surprised.

LMAO Meryl's actual figure skating fans knew she was dating Fedor while the Maksyls were passing out over the showmance. She has been dating him for years and she's finally marrying him. I wouldn't be surprised if the shippers actually do get fired up again if Meryl and Maks dance together again.

I'm not a Meryl or figure skating fan but even I could tell the "breakup" with her boyfriend was part of the showmance storyline.

Ugh, Keo. A gorgeous man and talented dancer who just can't seem to learn the first thing about competing on this show. He continues to overdance, and outdance his partner instead of backing down and letting her shine. And his frantic choreography isn't doing Jennie any favors. 

The pros who've done well on this show are willing to learn, and grow, and take feedback, and improve. I don't think Keo will ever change his approach, no matter what. Bye, Jennie!

Sweet Kareem. Listen, I'm 5'4 and my husband is 6'7. People gape at our 15-in height difference. Tall people just move so differently, their center of balance is so much higher than regular people. Balance is different, limbs are longer, it's a whole buffet. Bravo for Kareem for coming out and trying it, and he had the line of the night (for me) when he held up the (comparatively) tiny tennis sweater and said "Maybe I could give this to my granddaughter." Boom. Great man, sweet guy, and as Erin said, an absolute legend. Thank you, sir. 

Sasha threw me by doing the set up for the worst dance ever, and then having Tanya actually do a proper quickstep! Was not expecting that. Can't say I liked it, but props (like bears!) to Sasha for trying. If Bristol Palin had been in that bear suit I would have cried with laughter. 

Rashad isn't at Alfonso levels yet (where is he, btw? Alfonso-o-o-o!) but I didn't enjoy the "I recently wrote my first book, and it had chapters, and..." Nah. Maybe let Tom plug your book when he thanks you at the end. Don't make it part of a critique. (He's still smokin' hot though). 

Erin...seems calmer? Perhaps marriage has settled her down a bit? Really liked her hair, dress, and make-up. It's a good look, far better than many she has sported on this show. 

1. Adam, 2. Mirai, 3. Could be Tanya, but probably not. Depends on further producer machinations. Josh and Chris are both cute & talented, either could end up in 3rd. 

I haven't been keeping track, but how are the ratings going? Wondered if the absence of Derek, Mark, Val, Peta, and Maks would make any difference. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tessaforever said:

Ugh, Keo. A gorgeous man and talented dancer who just can't seem to learn the first thing about competing on this show. He continues to overdance, and outdance his partner instead of backing down and letting her shine. And his frantic choreography isn't doing Jennie any favors. 

The pros who've done well on this show are willing to learn, and grow, and take feedback, and improve. I don't think Keo will ever change his approach, no matter what. Bye, Jennie!

Sweet Kareem. Listen, I'm 5'4 and my husband is 6'7. People gape at our 15-in height difference. Tall people just move so differently, their center of balance is so much higher than regular people. Balance is different, limbs are longer, it's a whole buffet. Bravo for Kareem for coming out and trying it, and he had the line of the night (for me) when he held up the (comparatively) tiny tennis sweater and said "Maybe I could give this to my granddaughter." Boom. Great man, sweet guy, and as Erin said, an absolute legend. Thank you, sir. 

Sasha threw me by doing the set up for the worst dance ever, and then having Tanya actually do a proper quickstep! Was not expecting that. Can't say I liked it, but props (like bears!) to Sasha for trying. If Bristol Palin had been in that bear suit I would have cried with laughter. 

Rashad isn't at Alfonso levels yet (where is he, btw? Alfonso-o-o-o!) but I didn't enjoy the "I recently wrote my first book, and it had chapters, and..." Nah. Maybe let Tom plug your book when he thanks you at the end. Don't make it part of a critique. (He's still smokin' hot though). 

Erin...seems calmer? Perhaps marriage has settled her down a bit? Really liked her hair, dress, and make-up. It's a good look, far better than many she has sported on this show. 

1. Adam, 2. Mirai, 3. Could be Tanya, but probably not. Depends on further producer machinations. Josh and Chris are both cute & talented, either could end up in 3rd. 

I haven't been keeping track, but how are the ratings going? Wondered if the absence of Derek, Mark, Val, Peta, and Maks would make any difference. 

I think the absence of the rest of the competition weeks would be the greatest factor of why there would be low ratings.I personally don’t watch for the pros I’d like to get to know the new celebrities and four weeks is not enough time to get to know them or to see them have a “journey”.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm not a Meryl or figure skating fan but even I could tell the "breakup" with her boyfriend was part of the showmance storyline.

Yes, Meryl is smart and she knows how to play the game. She dealt with crazy "Merlie" shippers way before dwts. Rumor has it that she "broke up" with her boyfriend because he's her coach's son and she didn't want to get accused of favoritism by the crazy Virtue/Moir shippers because they also had the same coach. Yet the Maksyls bought that showmance hook, line and sinker.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tessaforever said:

Seriously, I think she's at a loss without Maks and Val there. Obviously she's much closer to them than any of the other dancers and it shows in their interactions how comfortable she is around them. 

3 hours ago, Kira53 said:

I don't think so because they have Jenna to root for. And after Val's tweet about how he should put a ring on it, I think they're going to double their efforts in the hopes she wins and he proposes on the spot (yes, I've already seen comments about this).

• Love 1

In terms of dance ability, Arike and Kareem were the right ones to go home.  I love their personalities though.  Arike is a wonderful example to young women.  At least, she has more time to study for finals.  She made Gleb tolerable since he didn't seem like such a douche.  He was o.k. last season with the young blonde too.  It's when he plays the sex card that he comes off slimy.  Kareem is a legend and I used to love watching him play for the Lakers.

Josh and Jennie did better last week.  I was surprised that Josh did another Latin.  His schedule and this short season hinders him from being Rashad 2.0.  When he stood still, he was fine.  Then he moved and the technique was gone.  Jennie just looked uncomfortable.  She needs to loosen up.  It could be because she didn't have enough time because they switched the songs.  But the steps should have been the same just choreographed differently.  Keo always overdances especially in Latin.  That's a criticism that most people have of Jenna.  However, I actually think Jenna is a good dancer.  I don't think Keo's technique is that great especially with the standard dances.  Maybe, it's time to give Brandon a shot?  I guess I do like him more than Gleb.

I don't think the show would put three skaters in the finals.  Tonya did o.k. but the bear was fine at the beginning.  But he stayed far too long and it was distracting.  Adam and Mirai still are the best dancers.  I hope Chris has a shot at being in the finals.  I do see improvement with him vs. Josh's improvement.  Previously, I was thinking that the finale had four contestants.  So I was hoping it would be Adam, Mirai, Chris, and Josh.  Now, that it's three, I would rather see Chris in there.  However, Josh probably has more fans.  The show might want Tonya in there and let Mirai go too.

• Love 1
On 5/8/2018 at 5:57 PM, Toonces464 said:

I think Adam and Mirai are HUGE ringers. Huge. Up there with Evan and Kristy, just a step below the biggest ringers in the history of the show, Meryl and Charlie.

I know a lot of people think that skaters and gymnasts (in particular) are ringers, but I don't see it that way.  They definitely have an advantage, that's true.  They know how to move their bodies, they know how to learn routines, they already know how to finish lines.  But the movement of dance vs. skating or gymnastics is very different, and it can actually hinder learning new types of movements.  I think those athletes generally do so well on the strength of their work ethic.  They just hang in there and get the job done.  Meryl and Charlie as ice dancers were maybe more ringer-ish than someone like Adam or Mirai (imho anyway) as they were already familiar with the concept of the dances, but I think the biggest ringers in the history of the show were people like Alfonso Ribeiro, Corbin Bleu, Heather Morris, and Nicole Scherzinger, who have actual dance experience in their backgrounds.  But to each his own, as my dad would say.  :)

On 5/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, boyznkatz said:

That's the way I usually feel about her, so I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the time I was watching Adam during their dances.  Good for him!  I go hot and cold on Val.  I didn't like him much at all the first couple of seasons he was on.  Then he grew on me his season with Zendaya.  I thought he did an amazing job with her.  Then for several seasons after that I enjoyed him.  The last couple of seasons I've been going cold on him again.  I'll be surprised if he shows up in the final in any way other than maybe showing up at a rehearsal or something.  I'm thinking the show wouldn't let any of the pros not on this season do any dancing.  But we shall see!  :)

• Love 4

I did like Val with Zendaya and Laurie. The only time he is tolerable is when he teaches children. Maybe because he can't play the sex or showmance card. 

Maybe they should give Gleb a child partner. I suspect he would be a lot more likable as well.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2018 at 10:02 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think Jennie's a drama queen for being unwilling to dance to a snippet of some song that ABC was willing to play in prime time.  It's not like they asked her to make it her theme song.  She could've just made it clear in her package that she didn't personally approve of the lyrics and just did the dance.  And I thought her dancing sucked.  

Whether the song was worthy of being uncomfortable over is irrelevant. I am 100% in favor of women being able to express their discomfort and have their wishes respected. We shouldn't have to suck it up and sacrifice our comfort for others' convenience or pleasure or anything. 

• Love 6

She can express her discomfort all she wants and I can consider her complaints in context and deem it ridiculous.  

I think the biggest ringers in the history of the show were people like Alfonso Ribeiro, Corbin Bleu, Heather Morris, and Nicole Scherzinger, who have actual dance experience in their backgrounds.

You forgot Riker and arguably Mario Lopez in your list of ringers...

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I don't think so because they have Jenna to root for. And after Val's tweet about how he should put a ring on it, I think they're going to double their efforts in the hopes she wins and he proposes on the spot (yes, I've already seen comments about this).

So let me get this straight, some Jenna fan makes/posts this GIF:

and that prompts Val to make a life-changing decision to "put a ring on it" (I detest that phrase!) but instead of proposing to Jenna first (I'd think he'd want her to be the first to know, eh?), he has to tweet about it first?

Manipulation! Just revving up the fans.  Is that how he gets them to vote for her?

Edited by Uke
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Uke said:

So let me get this straight, some Jenna fan makes/posts this GIF:

and that prompts Val to make a life-changing decision to "put a ring on it" (I detest that phrase!) but instead of proposing to Jenna first (I'd think he'd want her to be the first to know, eh?), he has to tweet about it first?

Manipulation! Just revving up the fans.  Is that how he gets them to vote for her?

Yep, a primo Chmerkovskiy trick. Much like the very private "I will never speak of my personal life" Maks has basically turned his relationship with Peta into 50 Ways to Remain Relevant.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

She can express her discomfort all she wants and I can consider her complaints in context and deem it ridiculous.  

Yes, why even be on a show like this if she is uncomfortable. It's not like this is G rated television.

• Love 3
On 5/10/2018 at 5:09 PM, crowceilidh said:

You forgot Riker and arguably Mario Lopez in your list of ringers...

Oh gosh, I did forget Riker.  Now *he* was hands-down (imho anyway) the ringer to end all ringers.  The kid competed in ballroom dancing as a junior.  So yeah, he was a ringer.  And I will always maintain that had he had any other pro than Allison, he probably would have won because he would have been/should have been head and shoulders above everyone else that season, but he wasn't because Allison was a terrible pro.  I like Allison as a contemporary dancer - I think she's phenomenal.  But I absolutely hate her as a ballroom dancer.

• Love 5
On 5/14/2018 at 3:15 PM, LadyMustang65 said:

Oh gosh, I did forget Riker.  Now *he* was hands-down (imho anyway) the ringer to end all ringers.  The kid competed in ballroom dancing as a junior.  So yeah, he was a ringer.  And I will always maintain that had he had any other pro than Allison, he probably would have won because he would have been/should have been head and shoulders above everyone else that season, but he wasn't because Allison was a terrible pro.  I like Allison as a contemporary dancer - I think she's phenomenal.  But I absolutely hate her as a ballroom dancer.

I don't think Riker would've won.  He didn't have the personality.  Male winners usually are good at dance technique but someone else during that season was better.  It's their personality that gives them the win.  Mario wiped the floor during his season but he didn't win.  And he had a fun personality.  The male winners who were the best was Alfonso (people just liked Carlton) and Jordan (he had a good story).  If they really wanted Allison to win, they would've given her Alfonso.  Anyone would've won with him.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, crossover said:

I don't think Riker would've won.  He didn't have the personality.  Male winners usually are good at dance technique but someone else during that season was better.  It's their personality that gives them the win.  Mario wiped the floor during his season but he didn't win.  And he had a fun personality.  The male winners who were the best was Alfonso (people just liked Carlton) and Jordan (he had a good story).  If they really wanted Allison to win, they would've given her Alfonso.  Anyone would've won with him.

Interesting theory.  I wonder if someone like Lindsay or Witney or Chelsea Hightower maybe could have brought out more personality from Riker.  I seem to recall that we saw glimpses from him, but Allison just wasn't one to bring out his fun side.  Maybe you're right.  But I'm not entirely convinced that, with a good pro who would have given him better choreography and been able to polish his technique, he wouldn't have been able to just so far out-shine the competition that he would have won even without a really charismatic personality.  Guess we'll never know for sure.  :)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Interesting theory.  I wonder if someone like Lindsay or Witney or Chelsea Hightower maybe could have brought out more personality from Riker.  I seem to recall that we saw glimpses from him, but Allison just wasn't one to bring out his fun side.  Maybe you're right.  But I'm not entirely convinced that, with a good pro who would have given him better choreography and been able to polish his technique, he wouldn't have been able to just so far out-shine the competition that he would have won even without a really charismatic personality.  Guess we'll never know for sure.  :)

As madpysch78 mentioned, I think Ryker was given to Allison to make her look good as a ballroom pro.  The show tried to hide his ballroom experience.  Allison made the mistake of putting too much in his freestyle.  I think she was going for something similar to what Alfonso/Witney and Jordan/Lindsay did with the Broadway theme.  However, their routines were cleaner and better choreographed.  Allison put things like bars which they didn't use too much and the whole routine just looked messy.  Ryker was good but needed to fix his frame and he was always pigeon toed.  I still love his jazz trio with Allison and Brittany though.  It's one of the better jazz routines on this show.  That's not saying much since there are not a lot of good jazz routines.  The other one that I remember is Corbin/Witney/Karina's trio.  I think Rumer had the audience votes and probably still would have won even if Ryker had a different pro.  I do think he would have done better though.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LadyMustang65 said:

Nope, we'll never know. I liked Riker's personality.  But with his looks (really youngish), I knew he was in trouble with the main DWTS viewers.  You could tell he and Allison got along.  In fact, I think they still keep up with one another.  I thought his choreography was really good and fun.  Like most things, if you have issues with someone, things become skewed.

He did end up second.  So a lot of people liked him.  But, Rumer, Bruce and Demi's name recognition was a lot to overcome. That's another reason why I don't think Riker would've won even if he had a more popular pro.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, realdancemom said:

As madpysch78 mentioned, I think Ryker was given to Allison to make her look good as a ballroom pro.  The show tried to hide his ballroom experience.  Allison made the mistake of putting too much in his freestyle.  I think she was going for something similar to what Alfonso/Witney and Jordan/Lindsay did with the Broadway theme.  However, their routines were cleaner and better choreographed.  Allison put things like bars which they didn't use too much and the whole routine just looked messy.  Ryker was good but needed to fix his frame and he was always pigeon toed.  I still love his jazz trio with Allison and Brittany though.  It's one of the better jazz routines on this show.  That's not saying much since there are not a lot of good jazz routines.  The other one that I remember is Corbin/Witney/Karina's trio.  I think Rumer had the audience votes and probably still would have won even if Ryker had a different pro.  I do think he would have done better though.

I want to clarify my post.  By Riker doing better, I mean that his ballroom technique would have looked better.  I agree with crossover that Rumer and her parents probably had the votes.  Add that with Val's votes since I don't think Allison had as many DWTS fans.  She's more popular with SYTYCD viewers.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2018 at 5:41 PM, crossover said:

Nope, we'll never know. I liked Riker's personality.  But with his looks (really youngish), I knew he was in trouble with the main DWTS viewers.  You could tell he and Allison got along.  In fact, I think they still keep up with one another.  I thought his choreography was really good and fun.  Like most things, if you have issues with someone, things become skewed.

He did end up second.  So a lot of people liked him.  But, Rumer, Bruce and Demi's name recognition was a lot to overcome. That's another reason why I don't think Riker would've won even if he had a more popular pro.

I agree with this point. What Allison and Riker do is not the only factor that contributes to them winning - the other factor is what Val and Rumer did. Rumer was not quite as technically good as Riker (she doesn't have his dance experience) but she was far more famous due to her parents and she was a decent dancer. Plus, at that point, Val had not yet won his first mirror ball.