Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 4/23/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Joy said why can't they have Indian doctors and said many doctors are Indians.  Joy, I love you but why can't an Indian character just be a character?

I agree with this. Another stereotype.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Joy listed off several different stereotypes on the show. If they'd covered them all, they'd have eaten the whole hour. I have only ever seen a handful of episodes of The Simpsons (sorry, was never a fan), but somehow I'm guessing Apu is not the only stereotype of people of color to be found on that show. Although I'm sure Italians often do get mocked with mob caricatures, too.

Right. I'm not saying that Joy was wrong in her assertion that the Simpsons has tons of stereotypes and generalizations of different groups of people. There was a joke that the Italian chef mentioned that he doesn't speak Italian, he just speaks in broken English. So I do get it.

But at the same time, I think comparing Apu to the Italian mobsters/chefs isn't entirely the same thing, because the show has many different white (yellow really) characters that you can choose from. Someone could be Italian and you'd never know, while Apu doesn't have that. He was the only Indian character and the only one that a lot of people knew of when it came to Indians/South Asians.

I might be explaining it wrong, but this is the gist that I got from the documentary. That and the fact that Apu is voiced by a white guy doing an accent.

10 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I agree and understand, especially as a person of Asian/African-American descent, all too well. I don't think Joy meant any harm though when she brought up the Italian stereotypes but maybe it was misplaced in that conversation.

I don't think she did either. But in this context, she shouldn't have brought up the Italians or Scottish stereotype when compared to the only Indian one on the show. That's why it was a bit tone deaf, even though she did bring up a good point.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Regarding the Apu thing, I think Joy is right that there are many different stereotypes, but she mentioned only white characters, while Apu is the one of the two main POC on the show.  So when she was complaining about the Italian stereotypes, it came off a bit tone deaf.

Whoopi was not having that from Joy today!   Joy started her comments with, "As an Italian."  She complained about the stereotypical Italians featured in ways that rubbed her the wrong way...mobsters, chefs, etc.   Rather than tone deaf, I thought it was a good contribution to the conversation--but Whoopi shut her down.  As Americans we have enjoyed seeing comic characters of many ethnicities for too long.  It wasn't meant in a hurtful manner by those who created/acted the characters, but when people speak up about their discomfort, it is time for change.  

• Love 19
58 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

One more edit: Here in Canada, CBC's Marketplace did a special on the nasty stuff on makeup samples.

Why would anyone even consider using a tester on their face?  Obviously those things are chock full of bacteria and wiping them off isn't going to make them any cleaner, Joy.  :P

5 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I liked the part where she said Melania was probably up at "four in the morning" because of all the preparations for the dinner.   Does Meghan really think Melania has to lift one finger (except to eat and drink) at a White House dinner?  Someone probably applies her lipstick!

I know!  This cracked me up. Maaaaybe weeks ago the WH staff possibly asked her what she'd like on the menu, but more likely they just told her to show up.  

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Someone could be Italian and you'd never know,

Frankie the Squealer, Johnny Tightlips, Fat Tony, Gina Vendetti and more are Simpsons characters that "seem" Italian by the way they dress and their manner of speaking.  We usually knew...immediately even though they're "white": Don Vittorio DiMaggio | Fit Fat Tony | Louie | Legs | Joey | Michael D'Amico | Jimmy the Snitch | Joey the Arsonist.    No other Italian characters that I know of.  Joy's point is spot on.

• Love 15

Maybe I should stop commenting on the show while I'm distracted, lol.

18 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Rather than tone deaf, I thought it was a good contribution to the conversation--but Whoopi shut her down. 

That's one of the things that sucks about daytime television - they only have a limited amount of time to get their points across and often things get misconstrued. 

33 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I might be explaining it wrong, but this is the gist that I got from the documentary. That and the fact that Apu is voiced by a white guy doing an accent.

No, you're explaining it right. I was never a big watcher of The Simpsons and also am not aware of all the characters on the show but I remember Apu because he was such a caricature. 

• Love 4

Yeah. But even if those stereotypes of Italians are bad, they are still glamorized in a way that is bad ass and idolized. I mean look at the market to this day and how often the image of Tony Montana, The Godfather, The Sopranos.. etc.. Are used. When referring to Apu in describing  someone, the tone and intent are much different. 

• Love 8

To Former Nun and our discussion about Italians......Hey, how about how Jewish people are always shown in movies and on television, and let's not get into the fact that a hell of a lot of the time they are played by Italians. (Pacino, DeNiro, Lorrrane Bracco just to name a few). Good God, even Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman have played Jewish people.  Just saying. Pisses me off, but hey, I'll live with it. Oy.  I heard a good one a long time ago about what is the difference between Jewish Mothers and Italian Mothers, the Italian mother says, if you don't eat everything on your plate, I'll kill ya, the Jewish Mother says, if you don't eat everything on your plate, I'll kill myself.  So true. Ha. Seriously our mothers are so alike (I found growing up), the Jewish mothers and the Italian, maybe that is why?  Plus, they both scream (but with love). 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I literally cringed when she said that.

I did too. I love Joy but not her best day.

I already knew MM was an idiot, but when she admitted that she called french fries, "freedom fries" in college . I lost it I laughed hard. I didn't think I could find her more ridiculous  than i already did, today I did lol. I can't believe people did that.  Why? Lol.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 15
41 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

What wasn't mentioned on the View (or if it was I missed it) was the Simpsons response to the documentary was they basically shrugged their shoulders and said well what can you do?  I understand the character was created many many years ago but surely the writers can now see maybe they should try to be a little more understanding to people being offended.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I liked the part where she said Melania was probably up at "four in the morning" because of all the preparations for the dinner.   Does Meghan really think Melania has to lift one finger (except to eat and drink) at a White House dinner?  Someone probably applies her lipstick!

I saw a news clip of Melania strutting around the WH kitchen like a model and stopped to see what a chef was preparing. She did work! Lol

• Love 10
1 minute ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I already knew MM was an idiot, but when she admitted that she called french fries, "freedom fries" in college . I lost it I laughed hard. I didn't think I could find more ridiculous but today I did lol. I can't believe people did that.  Why? Lol.

In their minds patriotism.

• Love 6

Well Meghan was on the brink of 17 years old when 9/11 happened. Just imagine her as a hoo ra America!!, spoiled, know it all teen. Pretty much exactly how she is now, but with far less insight. And trust me. I know that's not saying much. But, still. 

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Did anyone notice the heavily applied self tanner on her legs (bare legs, no hose like Mme Macron)?  More than likely she was up at 4:00 AM doing that.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Well Meghan was on the brink of 17 years old when 9/11 happened. Just imagine her as a hoo ra America!!, spoiled, know it all teen. Pretty much exactly how she is now, but with far less insight. And trust me. I know that's not saying much. But, still. 

Well, a gnat is larger than an amoeba, we should at least give Meghan that. Maybe by the time she's 50, her insight might actually be worth a penny.

• Love 8

Since the show ended without Whoopi at the table, it was cute how Sunny and Sarah did the "take a little time to enjoy The View" tag line.

I like silly moments like that. I wish Meghan could get more into those moments. She seems to have an inability to be light-hearted. Maybe she doesn't know how to play well with others? Sarah and Sunny can be goofy without it detracting from their serious takes on issues. Learn from them!

• Love 21
3 hours ago, backformore said:

Veterans died waiting for care

This is what she's referring to. It was weird how she had to throw in that the VA hospital was "just down the street from my high school," as though that made it worse.

She likes to tie herself to the subject thinking it makes her more credible.  Same thing with her tribal "friends."  She is desperate to be seen as an authority.  

49 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Since the show ended without Whoopi at the table, it was cute how Sunny and Sarah did the "take a little time to enjoy The View" tag line.

I like silly moments like that. I wish Meghan could get more into those moments. She seems to have an inability to be light-hearted. Maybe she doesn't know how to play well with others? Sarah and Sunny can be goofy without it detracting from their serious takes on issues. Learn from them!

Megan is humorless and that is what stops her from being able to banter and have light hearted conversation with the others.  

• Love 17
3 hours ago, rcc said:

I saw a news clip of Melania strutting around the WH kitchen like a model and stopped to see what a chef was preparing.

In my fantasy world, she was wearing a thick robe with her wet hair up in a towel--no make-up, hurrying to make sure everything's going well before getting ready.  The kitchen staff loves her.  And...scene.

Edited by Former Nun
Unmerged...
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Orillia said:

I also think she had the most observant line of the day when she mentioned that people trying to get into the country are better vetted than those trying to work for it. She's definitely doing better than she was a few weeks ago.

I thought that was great, too. That was one of the first times she's added to the show in a while. I do think she's trying, which is better than someone who doesn't try at all (Whoopi, Meghan). I wouldn't want her to go anywhere even though she sometimes blends into the scenery. To me, she plays the every-mom/middle-of-the-pack role that Sherri did for years, except without being annoying and incredibly dumb like Sherri was. Not everyone can be a big personality on shows like this.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

There was a joke that the Italian chef mentioned that he doesn't speak Italian, he just speaks in broken English. So I do get it.

Clarification:  That Italian chef on The Simpsons is British.  I had to look this up: A cooking prodigy, Lothar Folkman opened his Italian restaurant in Springfield to critical success, but empty seats. No one wanted to eat Italian food prepared by someone named Lothar. But a fake Italian accent, name change, and makeover later, and his eatery was packed every night.

• Love 4

My point earlier was about Joy not understanding why the Apu/Indian stereotype was more controversial than the other stereotypes on the Simpsons, not that she was confused about it in general. It seems others don’t get it either. I don’t know why, but maybe it’s because I’m black. 

When Joy brought up those other white characters that are stereotypes my whole body cringed. People just don’t get it. I made a point about even Meghan “real racism” McCain getting, because I was shocked she did and Joy didn’t. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

To Former Nun and our discussion about Italians......Hey, how about how Jewish people are always shown in movies and on television

Exactly!   Old/outdated stereotypes are still used and it's surprising, since so many writers are quite young and university-educated.  They can do better if executives let them.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, May Jacks said:

When Joy brought up those other white characters that are stereotypes my whole body cringed.

There are correlations and differences between racism and ethnic stereotypes.  I think the character of Apu is a stereotype. He's not treated badly; he's not ostracized.  The problem seems to be how white men are writing his character and a white man is voicing it.

I'd bet Joy cringes too when her Italian heritage is often portrayed in an insulting manner. It's obvious that it upsets her; she has mentioned it before.  Italians on TV are mobsters, mobster wannabees, petty criminals, or chefs.  That's Joy's personal take on things and I respect it...and her.       (my last words on the matter)

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought it was basic knowledge that reptiles don't breathe underwater.  And sadly, no one at the table corrected her.

And have her go off on a rant?

5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I was surprised people thought Joy said Apu is no big deal or something. She acknowledged he is a stereotype. Btw, about Whoopi suggesting there were alligators in the sewers yesterday, Joy clearly did not believe her. I always laugh watching the other ladies go along with Whoopi's nonsensical rants because they've obviously learned it's easier than arguing with her. 

Exactly!  You have to pick your battles.

4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

You mean she didn't do all the cooking?

3 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I did too. I love Joy but not her best day.

I already knew MM was an idiot, but when she admitted that she called french fries, "freedom fries" in college . I lost it I laughed hard. I didn't think I could find her more ridiculous  than i already did, today I did lol. I can't believe people did that.  Why? Lol.

Didn't surprise me at all when she said that. A true patriot would have boycotted all things French. LOL

• Love 9

How old are Apu's octuplets?  The Simpsons have the opportunity to have them grow up to be brain surgeons, physicists, etc.  Sadly, the stereotype of first generation immigrants working 18 hrs a day in menial jobs is pretty accurate, but their sacrifices for their families typically have positive results in the second generation. Is Rajesh Koothrappali's accent on The Big Bang Theory OK because the actor is Indian (he doesn't speak like that in real life)?   

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

Can't believe how naive how ignorant MM is regarding Melania. She picked out things and came down to see or test them. But she probably felt the WH staff was incapable of implementing Melania's theme. 

Had to chuckle at Sara - I always think Melania is paid to stay and not leave -  and is making a fortune.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

There are correlations and differences between racism and ethnic stereotypes.  I think the character of Apu is a stereotype. He's not treated badly; he's not ostracized.  The problem seems to be how white men are writing his character and a white man is voicing it.

I'd bet Joy cringes too when her Italian heritage is often portrayed in an insulting manner. It's obvious that it upsets her; she has mentioned it before.  Italians on TV are mobsters, mobster wannabees, petty criminals, or chefs.  That's Joy's personal take on things and I respect it...and her.       (my last words on the matter)

This is still missing the point, but okay. I think the documentary should be watched by all. Even the episode from a Master of None would give more insight. I didn’t how deep it completely was until I saw it. It’s more than about what you posted, way more. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Frankie the Squealer, Johnny Tightlips, Fat Tony, Gina Vendetti and more are Simpsons characters that "seem" Italian by the way they dress and their manner of speaking.  We usually knew...immediately even though they're "white": Don Vittorio DiMaggio | Fit Fat Tony | Louie | Legs | Joey | Michael D'Amico | Jimmy the Snitch | Joey the Arsonist.    No other Italian characters that I know of.  Joy's point is spot on.

Lot's of "white" people stereotypes. Is going on a white rampage. Just because of my pale skin I don't believe a certain way. My family has culture too. Lots of places with pale skin. And genetically there are pale people who are more different from me than a person of color. Sorry, I went off topic, but I'm tired of being everyone's perceived enemy.

• Love 3

Hank Azaria( the voice of Apu) is announcing that he is willing to quit the show and also indicated that the show needed to have more diversity in the writers room.

As far as Freedom Fries, it went way further. Bush also implemented economic sanctions on the French. 

It affected mainly the Luxury French imports. 

I doubt that MM gave up Veuve Cliquot but whatever.

Whoopi being dismissive of Sunni is rich. Can’t stand Whoopi at this point.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, LIMOM said:

As far as Freedom Fries, it went way further. Bush also implemented economic sanctions on the French. 

It affected mainly the Luxury French imports. 

I doubt that MM gave up Veuve Cliquot but whatever.

Is this when Meghan gave up Champagne and learned to cook? 

• Love 4
Just now, Cindyluwho said:

Is this when Meghan gave up Champagne and learned to cook? 

Perhaps. She could not stomach sparkling wine in the manner of Champagne....

• Love 2
15 hours ago, HoboClayton said:

Yeah. But even if those stereotypes of Italians are bad, they are still glamorized in a way that is bad ass and idolized. I mean look at the market to this day and how often the image of Tony Montana, The Godfather, The Sopranos.. etc.. Are used. When referring to Apu in describing  someone, the tone and intent are much different. 

Tony Montana was supposed to be Cuban . Played by an Italian but that's another story  lol. 

Saying that, I do completely agree with your post. 

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LIMOM said:

Perhaps. She could not stomach sparkling wine in the manner of Champagne....

Meghan just loves to drop little tidbits into conversation to let us know she is rich.  She drinks champagne.  Her pearls are real.  Money can't buy class.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Tony Montana was supposed to be Cuban . Played by an Italian but that's another story  lol. 

Saying that, I do completely agree with your post. 

Oh! Okay, sorry about that. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Five minutes in and Meghan is losing her shit because Joy made a joke that Meghan thinks is targeted at Melania.

Joy just told Meghan she has no sense of humor. Bahahahahaha

Shut.

Up.

Meghan.

What was the joke?