Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 4/23/18

Jaded
  • Start Topic

40 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

We just "upgraded" our DVR system to Contour II (or somesuch).  That upgrade now keeps me from starting shows late.  It allows me to start them early.  I always started "The View" late and never had to see them walk out.   I could usually cut off at least five minutes of all "Masterpiece" endings on PBS.  Now I'm stuck seeing or FF-ing the beginning of all the shows.  I have noticed some nice opening graphics here and there (not "The View") that I've missed for the past several years.

The cruise line and PBS begging. I just want to see Call the Midwife! Sorry for the off topic rant.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, fishsanwitt said:

MMM has been well-behaved these past two days. I wonder what happened? It's been very nice - the other hosts have actually been able to speak without her interrupting.

She's been much more enjoyable the past couple days. Have you ever known anyone who will literally challenge every word out of your mouth? I have, several times, and they are not in my life anymore. It's exhausting, to use Meghan's expression. I feel like that trait, along with complete self-absorption, is Meghan's personality. I'm really glad to see her quieter. I will never like her on this show, I think she's a bad fit, but the less she dominates the conversation, the more tolerable she is.

• Love 17
14 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Did Whoopi say that alligators can breathe under water and alligators in the sewers is real?

I thought it was basic knowledge that reptiles don't breathe underwater.  And sadly, no one at the table corrected her.

• Love 6

Not gonna lie, Meghan has been pretty good this week. My issue with her has never been having a dissenting opinion from the group (or even my own), but in the way she delivers her perspective and reacts to those that disagree or rebuttal with fair questions or statements. Get heated about a comment made by a social media user or even a politician but when you're dealing with the women around the table, keep it respectful, even if it's on a disagreeable subject. Even her laugh seemed genuine this week.

While I don't respect Candace's approach to politics, I do think she comes across as a sweet person. However, it was pretty hilarious to me that she admitted that she had no issues with sharing her opinions but didn't like the follow-up to it which is a lot of what the show is about. Perhaps she was pushing herself outside of her comfort zone...or she's never watched the show prior to taking a seat at the table.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

While I don't respect Candace's approach to politics, I do think she comes across as a sweet person. However, it was pretty hilarious to me that she admitted that she had no issues with sharing her opinions but didn't like the follow-up to it which is a lot of what the show is about. Perhaps she was pushing herself outside of her comfort zone...or she's never watched the show prior to taking a seat at the table.

It sounded like she was saying she didn't want to have to defend her opinion.  She wanted to offer her view and not be challenged on it.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

I’m not a fan of Candace’s politics. I’ve read her books in the past and thought they were okay. I might grab the current one from the library. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

It sounded like she was saying she didn't want to have to defend her opinion.  She wanted to offer her view and not be challenged on it.

I agree but that idea seems to contradict the very concept of the show. The point is to have difference perspectives to consider. It's why I think it's important to have a non-Democrat voice at the table, but even so, what many detractors of the show ignore is that the 4  Democratic voices are not identical or sheep thinking women. Joy seems the most willing to tote party lines, while Sara can be more critical, but she's still very open minded and willing to defend non-traditional points of view. Whoopi is an older voice of Democracy and especially when it comes to racial issues, drawing on her own experience of growing up in a much more obvious racist society, it gives her a personal perspective that the others can't offer, one that isn't quick to call racism, but to suggest that many times people are ignorant of history and facts and they need the opportunity to be educated, not shamed. Then you have Sunny who is the most interesting because her personal values are very Republican but I think her voting values lean more Democratic. She'll defend her conservative values at all costs and even admit to being a prude for it but she values the importance of separation of church and state, realizing that her values that are drawn from her religious beliefs should not by law be imposed on every other person because not everyone believes in the same things she does.

Overall, I do think the 4 are a good blend of personalities and vary across the Democratic spectrum.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I agree but that idea seems to contradict the very concept of the show. The point is to have difference perspectives to consider. It's why I think it's important to have a non-Democrat voice at the table, but even so, what many detractors of the show ignore is that the 4  Democratic voices are not identical or sheep thinking women. Joy seems the most willing to tote party lines, while Sara can be more critical, but she's still very open minded and willing to defend non-traditional points of view. Whoopi is an older voice of Democracy and especially when it comes to racial issues, drawing on her own experience of growing up in a much more obvious racist society, it gives her a personal perspective that the others can't offer, one that isn't quick to call racism, but to suggest that many times people are ignorant of history and facts and they need the opportunity to be educated, not shamed. Then you have Sunny who is the most interesting because her personal values are very Republican but I think her voting values lean more Democratic. She'll defend her conservative values at all costs and even admit to being a prude for it but she values the importance of separation of church and state, realizing that her values that are drawn from her religious beliefs should not by law be imposed on every other person because not everyone believes in the same things she does.

I noticed you didn't mention Meghan.  LOL

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Meghan says that after 9/11, she called french fries "freedom" fries, just so all you know. 

I always wondered about this.  What good did it do?  Really a meaningless gesture.

• Love 15
Just now, blondiec0332 said:

I noticed you didn't mention Meghan.  LOL

Yeah because she sucks, lol. 

But to the larger point, I focused on the other 4 women because most would assume that they're all Democrats. While ironically both sides accuse the other of having voters who are just of sheep mentality, I don't think the 4 Democrats on the stage suggest a sheep mentality approach which is why I pointed out their differing approach to discussion.

But if I'm going to be honest, behind Sara, Ana is my favourite even though she's not a full time host. I know that she's a traditional Republican voter and while I can't say I know what values of the Republican party she votes in line with, I respect the hell out of her for being loyal to her own conscious and personal beliefs than to a single political party.

29 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

I’m not a fan of Candace’s politics. I’ve read her books in the past and thought they were okay. I might grab the current one from the library. 

I didn't realize she had other books, lol. I would be willing to check it out if it's in the library. But I'm not buying it.

• Love 9

I agree with Joy - there are other stereotypes on The Simpsons that haven't been addressed in the same way as Apu and she went through those characters. Whoopi's response about how there's a difference in those characters and Apu made no sense, as usual.

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Alexis2291 said:

I agree with Joy - there are other stereotypes on The Simpsons that haven't been addressed in the same way as Apu and she went through those characters. Whoopi's response about how there's a difference in those characters and Apu made no sense, as usual.

Maybe I should wait and watch this first, but as someone of South Asian/East Indian descent, the character of Apu is a FUCKING INSULT. And that documentary that Hari Kondabolu did (The Problem with Apu), is a must see for people who don't see what the problem with this character is. Hari was on this show last Fall, talking about it. Whoopi is also in it.

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe I should wait and watch this first, but as someone of South Asian/East Indian descent, the character of Apu is a FUCKING INSULT. And that documentary that Hari Kondabolu did (The Problem with Apu), is a must see for people who don't see what the problem with this character is. Hari was on this show last Fall, talking about it. Whoopi is also in it.

Oh I totally agree and I want to see that documentary. Joy was just going down the list of other stereotypes on The Simpsons and Whoopi said that Apu was different because... well, I didn't understand what she was saying but I think Joy's point was that all of these stereotypes should be addressed. I think Whoopi's point was that the character of Apu is the most popular one? Full disclosure, I've only watched The Simpsons sporadically but Apu is a character I recall quite vividly.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Oh I totally agree and I want to see that documentary. Joy was just going down the list of other stereotypes on The Simpsons and Whoopi said that Apu was different because... well, I didn't understand what she was saying but I think Joy's point was that all of these stereotypes should be addressed. I think Whoopi's point was that the character of Apu is the most popular one? Full disclosure, I've only watched The Simpsons sporadically but Apu is a character I recall quite vividly.

The documentary is available on demand on TruTv. Yes, Tru TV. Don't ask me why it's on that channel.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I agree.  The Simpsons show was very popular with my son and his peers when he was a teenager. One of his friends, who is of Indian descent, did an impression of Apu, which the rest of the group thought was hilarious. His parents overheard him doing it, and were furious.

The catch phrase, "thank you, come again,"  in that "white guy version of an Indian accent" was often used to mock anyone in that ethnic group. It's a way if dismissing someone, saying that because of their ethnicity, accent, or appearance, their proper place is in a convenience store. 

One if the problems was that for many kids watching the show, that was the only Indian character they were exposed to on TV, so it shaped their attitudes.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Anyway we had a manual function and we could pick it portions of shows. It was hard to find but eventually I figured it out. Maybe that feature is there somewhere?

We could do A LOT with our first Contour, but this one is "extra special," I guess.  We're trying to lift our spirits by mentioning the things it DOES do.  I like being able to click and see what actors are in the shows...and mini-bios.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

Re: CCB - I don't like having someone else's religion shoved down my throat the way she does.

I was at lunch with my best friend (BF since 1948) and others--all Catholics.  I was a Devout (that's a capital "D") Catholic until age 25.  I have been a non-believer since 1965.  When I said casually something about being an atheist, my friend said, "DON'T say that in public. Keep it to yourself."  People like CCB can brag-brag-brag, as can other believers...but not the atheist or nontheist.  We are just as sincere in our beliefs but most of us don't preach because of the immediate backlash CCB would never receive. 

• Love 16
3 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I was at lunch with my best friend (BF since 1948) and others--all Catholics.  I was a Devout (that's a capital "D") Catholic until age 25.  I have been a non-believer since 1965.  When I said casually something about being an atheist, my friend said, "DON'T say that in public. Keep it to yourself."  People like CCB can brag-brag-brag, as can other believers...but not the atheist or nontheist.  We are just as sincere in our beliefs but most of us don't preach because of the immediate backlash CCB would never receive. 

One of my best friends also said to me be careful who you let know you are an atheist.  It's not like I go around proclaiming myself an atheist but if my beliefs (or lack thereof) are relevant I will bring them up.

And I'm sure if I ever met CCB and let her know I was an atheist she would look at me with pity. Or try to get me to see the error of my ways.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

Not gonna lie, Meghan has been pretty good this week. My issue with her has never been having a dissenting opinion from the group (or even my own), but in the way she delivers her perspective and reacts to those that disagree or rebuttal with fair questions or statements. Get heated about a comment made by a social media user or even a politician but when you're dealing with the women around the table, keep it respectful, even if it's on a disagreeable subject. Even her laugh seemed genuine this week.

There've been times this week when she seemed almost human. However, I'm not about to jump on the Meghan love train any time soon because I know she'll be back to normal before you know it.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Orillia said:

There've been times this week when she seemed almost human. However, I'm not about to jump on the Meghan love train any time soon because I know she'll be back to normal before you know it.

Oh she will. The moment the integrity of the Republican party is called in to question, that tribalism will come out hard and fast, lol.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

We could do A LOT with our first Contour, but this one is "extra special," I guess.  We're trying to lift our spirits by mentioning the things it DOES do.  I like being able to click and see what actors are in the shows...and mini-bios.  

Oh, then, well bummer.  

I find the almost everyday martyrdom of Melania Trump to be sickening. Everyone at the table is pathetic to partake in any lauding of this woman's so called plight. Give me a break. Whoopi making excuses for her birtherism was especially disgusting. 

You know you are on the wrong side of things when even Meghan understands the problem with the Apu character on the Simpsons, Joy. 

• Love 18
55 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

One of my best friends also said to me be careful who you let know you are an atheist.  It's not like I go around proclaiming myself an atheist but if my beliefs (or lack thereof) are relevant I will bring them up.

And I'm sure if I ever met CCB and let her know I was an atheist she would look at me with pity. Or try to get me to see the error of my ways.

Many if not most Christians think atheists don't believe in anything.  They cannot comprehend that we don't believe in the "truth."  And we have no moral compass.  

• Love 7

Once again  I'm confused about an MM statement despite the fact I played it back twice. When they were talking about Jackson and how the VA deserves the best of the best of the best she said 200 Vets died in the VA down the street from  where she grew up.  200 since Trump came into office? 200 this week?  From no care while in the hospital,  from old age or from suicide?  

• Love 8

MM managed about a third of the show before she screamed again. Hopefully, it was just an aberration. 

I also didn't think Joy misunderstood the issue re: The Simpsons.

Loved the interview with Sting and Shaggy.

• Love 2

I had the same thoughts as Joy when this issue was first brought largely into the light. I had to listen and think back over my childhood and remember how often and common it was to casually hear  certain convenience stores referred to as the *slur* store. And how many times I heard "Thank you come again" It did make me look at the issue in a new light and realize that there is a very good point to be made about the Apu character and the problems with the depiction. Though Joy is also correct as the characters are exaggerations. Either way, the show has been on too long and I tired of it years ago. Though I know it still has a huge, devoted following. 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Once again  I'm confused about an MM statement despite the fact I played it back twice. When they were talking about Jackson and how the VA deserves the best of the best of the best she said 200 Vets died in the VA down the street from  where she grew up.  200 since Trump came into office? 200 this week?  From no care while in the hospital,  from old age or from suicide?  

The moment she said that this was a VA place "right up the street" from where she grew up, she lost me. What relevance did that have to what they were talking about?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Alexis2291 said:

I didn't take what Joy said as misunderstanding the problem with the Apu character. I think she was just giving additional problematic characters.

I didn't think she was downplaying the fact that Apu is a stereotype either. She was wondering why there's this huge focus on Apu like he's the only stereotype on the show when The Simpsons is filled to the brim with stereotypes.

• Love 18

I was surprised people thought Joy said Apu is no big deal or something. She acknowledged he is a stereotype. Btw, about Whoopi suggesting there were alligators in the sewers yesterday, Joy clearly did not believe her. I always laugh watching the other ladies go along with Whoopi's nonsensical rants because they've obviously learned it's easier than arguing with her. Thankfully Sunny refused to go along with the Melania asskissing.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

Sara had the funniest line of the day when she said Trump was telling Melania I paid you for his when he was trying to hold  her hand.

Did you see Meghan's tight-lipped expression after Sara made that joke? 

• Love 14
9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I didn't think she was downplaying the fact that Apu is a stereotype either. She was wondering why there's this huge focus on Apu like he's the only stereotype on the show when The Simpsons is filled to the brim with stereotypes.

Hari explained what the problem was when he was on the show last November. Did Joy not listen or pay attention? It's like some of these hosts just retain what they learned or talked about and forget it, unless it's something they know or are familiar with, or sex or politics. It's very frustrating.

• Love 6

Regarding the Apu thing, I think Joy is right that there are many different stereotypes, but she mentioned only white characters, while Apu is the one of the two main POC on the show.  So when she was complaining about the Italian stereotypes, it came off a bit tone deaf.

Edit: Someone might go to a brown person and use an Apu voice to taunt them, while if you're Italian no one will know unless you say something. That's why it was a problem for so many South Asians. It was their only representation and it was a white guy who over exaggerated the Indian-ness of the guy.

I'm not South Asian, but a similar thing would be when you see Muslim characters as terrorists or the 'non practicing' Muslim who are progressive. Then you get people coming up to you and asking if your dad/husband oppresses you just because you wear a hijab.

When the only representation is a negative one or an over exaggeration, it's never a good  thing.

One more edit: Here in Canada, CBC's Marketplace did a special on the nasty stuff on makeup samples.

It makes sense though, which is why I think I might check out the Beauty of Dirty Skin to see what else it has to says.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Regarding the Apu thing, I think Joy is right that there are many different stereotypes, but she mentioned only white characters, while Apu is the one of the two main POC on the show.  So when she was complaining about the Italian stereotypes, it came off a bit tone deaf.

Joy listed off several different stereotypes on the show. If they'd covered them all, they'd have eaten the whole hour. I have only ever seen a handful of episodes of The Simpsons (sorry, was never a fan), but somehow I'm guessing Apu is not the only stereotype of people of color to be found on that show. Although I'm sure Italians often do get mocked with mob caricatures, too.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Edit: Someone might go to a brown person and use an Apu voice to taunt them, while if you're Italian no one will know unless you say something. That's why it was a problem for so many South Asians. It was their only representation and it was a white guy who over exaggerated the Indian-ness of the guy.

I'm not South Asian, but a similar thing would be when you see Muslim characters as terrorists or the 'non practicing' Muslim who are progressive. Then you get people coming up to you and asking if your dad/husband oppresses you just because you wear a hijab.

When the only representation is a negative one or an over exaggeration, it's never a good  thing.

I agree and understand, especially as a person of Asian/African-American descent, all too well. I don't think Joy meant any harm though when she brought up the Italian stereotypes but maybe it was misplaced in that conversation.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Veterans died waiting for care

This is what she's referring to. It was weird how she had to throw in that the VA hospital was "just down the street from my high school," as though that made it worse.

It was a study about veterans waiting for consults with other doctors so long that the end up dying before they see the specialist. And then the VA records were fudged to hide the facts about how long they waited.

Oh, and it's not that they all died AT the hospital. They were patients waiting for appointments to be scheduled.  A typical story would be that a doctor refers a patient to a cardiologist, they have to wait a couple of months to get the appointment, and then the appointment is cancelled and rescheduled by staff, so the actual wait time is reported as being from consult to first appointment, not from consult to actually seeing the doctor.  And patients died before they could see a specialist.

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Joy said why can't they have Indian doctors and said many doctors are Indians.  Joy, I love you but why can't an Indian character just be a character?

• Love 13

Calling french fries freedom fries is incredibly petty Meghan and yes there's some judgement there - why do you need to politicize something that isn't at all political?

I feel like Melania would get so much more criticism from the women if it weren't for her body language and facial expressions around Trump that give them and the public enough material to say 'see even if she doesn't like her husband'. If they weren't able to use her as comic relief then I'm not confidence she would be getting many compliments.

What has made Apu's character controversial is that it became THE stereotype of South Asians in America because was the only representation on TV up until recently. I don't think Joy was trying to take away from the point of Apu being an ignorant representation, but I think she's saying there are more characters on the show to acknowledge for their negative stereotypes. And that said, a lot of people don't like change. They see this character and think it's 'snowflakes' complaining for the sake of complaining. The reality is that we are living in a society where it's more accessible to share news and to do so quickly. Opinions can get much further than water cooler talk in the office.

Sting and Shaggy seems like such a unique collaboration but still somehow makes so much sense. Look forward to hearing their music.

• Love 6