Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E18: Gray Star Mutual

• Start Topic

When a fire destroys Charles' food truck, Pimento unexpectedly shows up to the scene as the insurance agent. Meanwhile, Rosa helps Amy to see that it’s okay to get excited about picking her wedding dress, and Gina and Terry coach Holt in the art of social media.

My favorite part of the episode was badass Amy chasing and taking down the criminal in that wedding dress.  I also loved Rosa counseling her that she shouldn't hide or sublimate the part of herself that wants an amazing wedding dress.

• Love 18

I thought at some point, they were going to say that Amy had to buy that wedding dress because she got it dirty while in pursuit of the guy she ended up arresting.

Honestly, her whole "I don't want people to know I want a pretty wedding dress" storyline wasn't very logical. Just because you're an authority figure at work doesn't mean that everyone expects you to get married in your uniform. If ever there's a day that women are allowed to be girlie and wear a dress, it's their wedding day. I know girls who were total tomboys and wore long white wedding gowns. I wasn't surprised though because I didn't expect them to wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt to their own weddings.

I really can't imagine any of Amy's subordinates thinking that she's lost their respect because she wants to wear a white dress to her own wedding and I certainly don't think any of them would respect her more if she got married in, say, a sensible pantsuit. It's not exactly professional to look at wedding dress websites when you're at work (do that at home!) but it's still understandable considering how much personal stuff people do at work these days. I mean, just look at all the personal stuff we've seen various people from the 99 do while in the precinct!

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really can't imagine any of Amy's subordinates thinking that she's lost their respect because she wants to wear a white dress to her own wedding

Nor can I. But I can imagine Amy getting inside her own head, as she does, and obsessing about the (non)issue.

• Love 14
12 hours ago, Roaster said:

Amy in a dress - not surprising, but nice.

Rosa in a dress - surprising!

7 hours ago, Mystery said:

It is a travesty! But here's Rosa: 

Pulling. It. Off.

12 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

I know he's a very acquired taste but I love mantzoukas/pimento

12 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I usually think he's just too over the top (like on The League), but I thought he was funny on B99.

Not s fan of his characters but I thought he was fine this episode.

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I thought at some point, they were going to say that Amy had to buy that wedding dress because she got it dirty while in pursuit of the guy she ended up arresting.

Pretty sure it’ll be revealed she had to buy it. I mean a piece of it did rip off...

• Love 4

Loved the Amy/ Rosa stuff, but there wasn't enough of it. Way too much Pimento. What company would hire that lunatic in the first place? At least they didn't have him trying to get Rosa back. Hope he's gone for good. 

• Love 9

I NEED someone on this show to make a Cheddar Instagram page. I would follow that him right now. Cheddar in a beret is my jam. 

"I am a human! A human man!" Holt on Twitter really would be pretty amazing.

The Amy/Rosa stuff was great, and Amy kicking the ass of the robber in her dress was amazing. I love seeing Rosa being supportive, and she looked great in that dress with her gun still strapped in. 

"This is the fury road!"

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Roaster said:

Amy in a dress - not surprising, but nice.

Rosa in a dress - surprising!

As for Rosa, as Jake would say, "Noice." To which I respond, "Toight." [/shallow]

14 hours ago, Trillium said:

I’d love to follow a Cheddar Instagram.

26 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I NEED someone on this show to make a Cheddar Instagram page. I would follow that him right now. Cheddar in a beret is my jam.

I'd join Instagram for Cheddar's page.

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was sure that would happen as well. Hopefully the store won't do it, since Amy ended up as a hero cop making that arrest. She names the store and the designer, and the free publicity should more than make up for loss of the dress.

2 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Way too much Pimento. What company would hire that lunatic in the first place? At least they didn't have him trying to get Rosa back. Hope he's gone for good. 

Not as bad as some of his other episodes, but still I hope he's gone. So far, the only thing I've seen him in where I enjoy his character was The Good Place.

I think the show missed an opportunity by not having the fired employee repeatedly call Boyle "Chef" with a sneer on his face.

• Love 4

Pimento is OTT, but I think he was hilarious. Of course no company would hire him, unless he's a lot different in interviews. Which I doubt. But I don't mind. He's funny.

Holt reminded me of John Oliver saying everyone who reads Trump's tweets aloud should be required to yell the all caps part, so I LOL'd when Holt shouted, "KUDOS TO OUR BRAVE OFFICERS! … It's in all caps."

I also loved his reaction when Terry told him about Twitter, "They actually upped it to 280." Holt: Oh good god.

Charles: The only way out of this hole is to keep digging.
Jake: That's not holes work. The title of your sex tape.

Love that the alibi of the guy Charles suspected of torching his food truck was being on Cash Cab.

• Love 12

I never liked Pimento either but I thought he was kind of funny in this one. I guess I just didn't like him with Rosa, and I still can't imagine why Rosa would ever want to be with such a mental case. Of course, that also leads to, how does he ever hold down a job, and why does anyone ever hire him in the first place.

Holt's Twitter handle cracked me up - anyone jot it down? What was it again, his name in subprime numbers? He gets an alert and says "I'm probably trending already." LOL. "Twitter thinks you're a bot." "I am a human. I am a human male!"

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Holt's Twitter handle cracked me up - anyone jot it down? What was it again, his name in subprime numbers?

It was hexadecimal. I didn’t write it down, but this is what Raymond Holt converts to: 52 61 79 6d 6f 6e 64 68 6f 6c 74

• Love 3

Holt complaining that 280 characters is ridiculous and that 140 is more than enough to make a point 
- this is all my IRL friends complaining about Twitter (I love all the characters; I'm verbose)

Jake thinking that he's saving a lot of money actually BUYING the movie John Wick instead of renting it every 2 weeks
- LOL ---- RENTING MOVIES?!  But this is me.  I buy so many Blu Rays

2 extremely relateable parts.  Some site (AV Club?) gave this episode a weak score but I thought it was great.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

"Yeast feast"? Come on, Charles.

I have to say, I don't really care about Charles' food truck, and wasn't into the storyline of it being torched. And that was before Pimento turned up to be irritating and unrealistically crazy. I certainly haven't thought about him since he disappeared, and would rather not have to again.

Although I did laugh at:

"I've already got the match lit!"

"How?!"

But Holt taking to Twitter because it's now part of politics? Genius. Pointing out the shallowness of social media, the absurd dichotomy between it being a serious political tool, and needing to post cute animal pictures to get a following. And whichever writer came up with the gag that Holt was immediately identified as a bot deserves an award.

And, quite rightly, Twitter had "a lot of Nazi stuff on the front-burner." As all social media and online communities should, but don't.

The storyline with Rosa and Amy was nice.

"You're weird."

"I know."

Aw. But it's the very best kind of weird, Amy. And she was absolutely adorable, girling out over wedding dresses. So was Rosa, actually being genuinely enthusiastic and supportive of her over it. Reassuring her that wanting a nice dress isn't a sign of weakness was a really good indicator of just how much their friendship has grown since season one. I kind of assume that Rosa is going to be snarky or mean to Amy, just because that seems like the sort of dynamic two characters like this would have. But she wasn't, and generally isn't. It's always a little surprising, in a very welcome way.

And Amy was hot as hell, chasing that perp down in the dress. Why did she look so great, wearing her cop belt over the dress? I don't know, but she did.

Also, is "mermaid cut" a little callback to when Jake told her she looked like a mermaid in that thrift store dress she got to go undercover at the dance competition?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Holt complaining that 280 characters is ridiculous and that 140 is more than enough to make a point 
- this is all my IRL friends complaining about Twitter (I love all the 

Oops I took out too much of your post, blue jay. But I thought Make said he rented the video every 2days!!

• Love 2

Jake thinking that he's saving a lot of money actually BUYING the movie John Wick instead of renting it every 2 weeks
- LOL ---- RENTING MOVIES?!  But this is me.  I buy so many Blu Rays

I think it was actually every two NIGHTS. Jake's crazy!

5 minutes ago, rhys said:

Oops I took out too much of your post, blue jay. But I thought Make said he rented the video every 2days!!

Jinx

• Love 1
1 hour ago, wingster55 said:

Not that I minded, but was it explained why Rosa was even in a dress? I thought the purpose was purely for Amy to try on her dress. 

Trying on bridesmaid dresses, I assumed. It wasn't the focus of the trip, but it's not like it would cut into their time or attention for Rosa to try one on. It may have helped Amy relax that she wasn't alone in dressing up.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rhys said:

That's even funnier and more ridiculous.  LOL.  renting it every two days?!?!?!  Like you probably have to return a video in 2-3 days right, so he 'returns' it but immediately rents it again.  Hahahahah.

I honestly didn't even realize people still had the ability to rent movies (DVDs?! Blu Rays?!) and ESPECIALLY in a metropolitan city like New York.  The idea is so ridiculous but I have to admit I loved the joke.  It's so extreme.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I’m guessing he was renting it to stream On Demand. Those rentals usually last two days, so he was probably ordering it again as soon as it expired. I checked my provider, and it’s $3.99 to rent (about $60/mo.) and $15.99 to buy. On iTunes, it’s $5.99 to rent (approx. $90/mo) and only $7.99 to buy.  

• Love 2

I'm probably the only troglodyte who doesn't use Netflix. I get my movies& old tv shows from the library. So I was super cranky about Jake wasting so much $$$$.

• Love 4

I honestly didn't even realize people still had the ability to rent movies (DVDs?! Blu Rays?!) and ESPECIALLY in a metropolitan city like New York.

Actually, I think it'd be more likely to be possible in a big city. There's still a sprinkling of independent video rental stores around (there's one near my mother's retirement home in Kansas that continues to amaze me by its very existence every time I drive past it), and I bet Brooklyn has a few. With such a big concentration of population in such a small area, there's enough of a critical mass of interested people to support such places, at least for a while longer.

Of course, I accept that all this is too much and too serious analysis of an offhand joke. But that's what we're here for, right?

• Love 3

John Oliver is helping out one of the last Blockbusters in the country, in Anchorage. He bought some Russell Crowe paraphernalia and the store is going to display it. http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/john-oliver-russell-crowe-jockstrap-blockbuster-auction-1201953041/

Apparently in Alaska, broadband is so expensive (and not unlimited) that the cost to stream things is prohibitive. I'm taking the whole little John Wick conversation as a nod to John Oliver through the plot point of Pimento recently returning from Alaska. Very devious.  :-) 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

"This is the fury road!"

"Witness me, blood bag!" I love Jake, especially when he's quoting movies!

I enjoyed this, but I'm not the pickiest when it comes to B99 - I've enjoyed and rewatched everything except the stupid trial of stupid prison which pissed me off so much last season.

I liked Pimento here - he's such a mess, and it's hilarious when we find out that he's only been an insurance investigator for two weeks. And just when we think it's Pimento's crazy that makes him suspect Boyle for the arson, his boss says that the turpentine was all the evidence they needed to accuse Boyle! I mean, seriously? Wow.

• Love 3

I'm mainly indifferent to Pimento, but he was fine here.  I think it helped that it was more focused on his bizarre view of his relationship with Jake and Boyle, then anything having to do with Rosa.  If nothing else, it led to some hilarious reactions from Jake and Boyle.  Still, hopefully they'll wisely continue to use him sparingly, and not have him overstay his welcome.

Loved the other two plots though.  Holt diving into the world of social media was hilarious as expected, and done in a way that only Holt could.  And I love that it ended with him and Kevin making an Instagram account for Cheddar, and it already has over 14,000 followers.  But my favorite part was his "I'm a human!  A human male" after Twitter thought he was a robot and locked him out.

It felt like it's been a few since we got some good Amy/Rosa stuff, so I enjoyed seeing them interact again.  It's great seeing how supportive Rosa is towards Amy and the eaffection she now has, after remembering how she used to not be able to stand her in the earlier seasons.  Plus, they took down a criminal in a wedding and bridesmaid dress!  That said, I still think Amy is even hotter in her sergeant's uniform.  Melissa Fumero is just owning that look.

Of course, Hitchcock and Scully know all about wedding dresses, because that's all they can look at during work on "safe mode."

Jake's bit about John Wick had me laughing.  Reminded of the episode back in season one, when Gina felt out he rented or bought Olympus Has Fallen several times.  Action movies are his addiction, it seems.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That's even funnier and more ridiculous.  LOL.  renting it every two days?!?!?!  Like you probably have to return a video in 2-3 days right, so he 'returns' it but immediately rents it again.  Hahahahah.

I honestly didn't even realize people still had the ability to rent movies (DVDs?! Blu Rays?!) and ESPECIALLY in a metropolitan city like New York.  The idea is so ridiculous but I have to admit I loved the joke.  It's so extreme.

Redbox?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Charles: The only way out of this hole is to keep digging.
Jake: That's not how holes work. The title of your sex tape.

Looooooooved this.  

Nothing funnier than a seafoam green bridesmaid dress. 

But I really hope that Amy rethinks the tulip sleeves.

4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Looooooooved this.  

Nothing funnier than a seafoam green bridesmaid dress. 

But I really hope that Amy rethinks the tulip sleeves.

Entertainment Weekly has some pictures of he wedding episode, including Amy’s dress of you want to check it out. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Not that I minded, but was it explained why Rosa was even in a dress? I thought the purpose was purely for Amy to try on her dress. 

I was thinking maybe she was trying on bridesmaid dresses?

• Love 5
On 4/23/2018 at 4:46 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

On 4/24/2018 at 6:50 AM, Skyfall said:

Redbox?

That's what I was going to say. There are Redboxes all over the place.

• Love 1
On 4/23/2018 at 6:50 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Honestly, her whole "I don't want people to know I want a pretty wedding dress" storyline wasn't very logical. Just because you're an authority figure at work doesn't mean that everyone expects you to get married in your uniform. If ever there's a day that women are allowed to be girlie and wear a dress, it's their wedding day. I know girls who were total tomboys and wore long white wedding gowns. I wasn't surprised though because I didn't expect them to wear cargo shorts and a t-shirt to their own weddings.

I really can't imagine any of Amy's subordinates thinking that she's lost their respect because she wants to wear a white dress to her own wedding and I certainly don't think any of them would respect her more if she got married in, say, a sensible pantsuit. It's not exactly professional to look at wedding dress websites when you're at work (do that at home!) but it's still understandable considering how much personal stuff people do at work these days. I mean, just look at all the personal stuff we've seen various people from the 99 do while in the precinct!

I think it has undertones that touch on women in male dominated workplaces. Women often feel like they have to work that much harder and distract from the fact that they are women in order to move ahead and gain respect in a male dominated industry. Add to that that Amy is neurotic and can overthink situations and it seems a bit more believable for her character, even if still irrational to the average person.

Captain Holt makes me laugh every episode. His reaction to Gina telling him he was shut down on social media because they thought he was a bot...LOL.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, April Bloodgate said:

That's what I was going to say. There are Redboxes all over the place.

Well soreeee I live in a magical fairy land called Canada where those don't exist.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It kind of worked on Rosa. I've seen far uglier bridesmaid dresses.

The thing is............. I like seafoam green.  But yeah, seafoam green bridesmaid dresses have become such a pop culture cliche.  Rosa looked good.

22 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Well soreeee I live in a magical fairy land called Canada where those don't exist.

The thing is............. I like seafoam green.  But yeah, seafoam green bridesmaid dresses have become such a pop culture cliche.  Rosa looked good.

My apologies for my US-centric post. In many places in the US, there are movie rental kiosks called Redbox (literally a big red box) that sit outside places like grocery stores and McDonald's.

9 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

When Amy made that arrest, I was expecting it to have an effect on the social media plot: Holt gets something to Tweet about and Amy gets a reputation as a badass.

That's just what I thought was going to happen!

On 4/25/2018 at 12:57 PM, RHJunkie said:

I think it has undertones that touch on women in male dominated workplaces. Women often feel like they have to work that much harder and distract from the fact that they are women in order to move ahead and gain respect in a male dominated industry. Add to that that Amy is neurotic and can overthink situations and it seems a bit more believable for her character, even if still irrational to the average person.

I spent an hour on the phone last night with a friend who is a female cop, and she was talking about how differently she is judged for her behavior/attitude/things she says or does than her male colleagues, and how even when she's correct, she gets grief for rocking the boat in ways the boys don't.  It's very real, and very much a part of the culture of jobs like police where not only is it male dominated, but ends to be something a lot of women never even think of as a career.

• Love 11

Man I thought Pimento was awful in this ep. I wish Schur would get over his fixation with him.

Especially ridiculous having an ep trying to convince him Jake and Boyle are his friends. They should have just said no we're not. Bc you're an ass.

• Love 8
On 4/23/2018 at 10:30 AM, kariyaki said:

It was hexadecimal. I didn’t write it down, but this is what Raymond Holt converts to: 52 61 79 6d 6f 6e 64 68 6f 6c 74

I think Holt was in hex, too.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:42 PM, Danny Franks said:

Why did she look so great, wearing her cop belt over the dress? I don't know, but she did.

Also, is "mermaid cut" a little callback to when Jake told her she looked like a mermaid in that thrift store dress she got to go undercover at the dance competition?

I know -- Amy looked awesome when she got back to the station .

My wife watches Say Yes To The Dress and the "mermaid cut" is very popular.

On 4/24/2018 at 1:40 AM, arjumand said:

"Witness me, blood bag!" I love Jake, especially when he's quoting movies!

".... this is us"
"Not the show"
.. one of your friends"
"Again, not the show"
"You got to have fiath!"
"You're doing this on purpose!"
"The third one, yeah."

Jake and Boyle make a great team.

On 4/24/2018 at 7:01 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I really hope that Amy rethinks the tulip sleeves.

I Googled "tulip sleeves".  Yuck!

• Love 2

I didn't care too much for this episode because I HATE Pimento. The other two plots were good though. Loved that Holt caved on the Cheddar Instagram thing. Favorite line was "Terry teared up"

• Love 2

I just wanted to throw it out there that the Twitter account Holt creates in this episode is active and tweeting:

https://twitter.com/5261796d6f6e64f

I wish I knew how to post specific tweets and/or videos with the previews.

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 2.13.26 PM.png

Edit: I am wrong. The real one is here and only has the single  post mentioned in the episode. I tried, guys.

Edited by Kate47
  • Love 1