Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

On 6/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, luckyroll3 said:

One of my all time favorite movies! And I don't care what anyone says, it's fantastic!

I loved The Lost Boys, too. I had it memorized, as a teenager, I watched it so much, one Summer. 

On 6/2/2022 at 3:24 PM, Shannon L. said:

I loved the book and didn't care for most of the movie, either, because I thought that some of the changes were unnecessary and I found that annoying. I understand why things are changed from the book for the most part, but there were some that didn't make sense to me. I'll go a step further:  Jurassic World was my favorite of the bunch so far.

ETA:  I do appreciate the outstanding special effects, though.  My favorite scenes in JP are when they see the first dinosaur, when they were going through the explanation of how they made it happen (especially when they visited the nursery) and the scene with the sick triceratops.

I agree. I did like the beginning, with the effects, and when we first meet the T-Rex (in that nightmare scenario of the kids being terrorized, the rippling water as his feet hit the ground, etc). I liked Jurassic World, for the most part, but the next one was awful. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Same here, Blergh. And I call 100% bullshit that Tom Cruise still does his own stunts. Nope, not buying it. 

Furthermore, I don't care how lame and basic this makes me: I completely agree with Lindy West's take that Maverick is the real villain in Top Gun, Charlie is way too good for him, and Ice Man is a good guy. 

Iceman is the good guy. I rewatched it for the first time in a long time, the other week, and Iceman is always, always concerned about the safety of the other pilots while Maverick doesn't give a toss about them.

He constantly tells the guy that he's really talented, but needs to focus on being a team player and not on grandstanding or going after the glory.

What's more, and rare for an action movie, Iceman is the better pilot. He wins the tournament, fair and square (was already leading when Maverick and Goose crashed). And in the battle, he survives on his own until Maverick gets his shit together and comes to help him out, his plane gets damaged and still manages to take out at least one "MiG 28."

This was the 80s though, so the rebel who recklessly ignored the rules was the hero and the 'stick in the mud' who wanted to make sure everyone was safe was the villain.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Applause 11
(edited)

I’m getting a little annoyed with Star Wars fans griping about plot consistency and retcons concerning the new shows and movies. Let’s face it: if plot consistency ever meant a damn in this franchise, Luke and Leia never would have kissed in Empire. Yes, George Lucas claims they were always siblings in the story, but he obviously neglected to mention that to the screenwriters. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4

Let’s face it: if plot consistency ever meant a damn in this franchise, Luke and Leia never would have kissed in Empire.

His Power of Incest served him well when he figured it out in Return of the Jedi.

• LOL 6

And I really hated how the series just decided to pretend it didn’t happen. Sure, it’s just one kiss and not the end of the world—they didn’t know they were related and their relationship by that point was platonic since she was in love with Han—but still. It’s the same mistake that the MCU not only repeated, but made a million times worse in comparison.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And I really hated how the series just decided to pretend it didn’t happen. Sure, it’s just one kiss and not the end of the world—they didn’t know they were related and their relationship by that point was platonic since she was in love with Han—but still. It’s the same mistake that the MCU not only repeated, but made a million times worse in comparison.

So do I. I wish they had talked about it, laughed about it or were both grossed out by it. I still wish we got to see Han's reaction to Leia telling him Vader was her father.

• Love 6
On 6/12/2022 at 12:03 PM, andromeda331 said:

So do I. I wish they had talked about it, laughed about it or were both grossed out by it. I still wish we got to see Han's reaction to Leia telling him Vader was her father.

It's been a long time since I watched, but did we get any reaction from Leia about Vader being her father besides surprise? I remember thinking it had much more potential than they used.

• Love 2

I know they’re not canon anymore, but the books that followed the original trilogy did discuss how Luke felt having had a crush on his twin sister. And also discussed how Leia struggled for years coming to terms with Darth Vader being her biological father. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Some chat about Bradley Cooper in another thread has me thinking.  While I don't begrudge him his success he's just not very memorable for me.  I think his best role by far is as Rocket in the MCU.  Really.  He's so good at that it's hard for me to believe that that's the same guy that barley registers in his other projects.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 4/19/2022 at 11:12 PM, Danny Franks said:

I still think Christian Bale's career best performance was when he was thirteen years old, in Empire of the Sun.

I cannot say I'm a fan of anything he's done as an adult, because he always seems dead behind the eyes and completely cold and remote. For some of his roles, that has been incredibly beneficial to his performances, but it certainly didn't help when he was supposed to be playing charming, debonair Bruce Wayne.

Well you can hear Christian Bale be very passionate when he was yelling at cursing at that guy on the set of Terminator Salvation.  

• Applause 1

Based on the reactions in Obi-Wan's topic, my unpopular opinion is that Obi-Wan series  is barely ok. It seems that everyone is ok to forget lazy writting, giant plot holes, cheap looking set when there is one good fight and several easter eggs during whole run.

Disney needs to hire better writers, because this writting was embarassing.

• Love 4

The best role Steve Martin ever portrayed was the charlatan Jonas Nightengale, in Leap of Faith.

We get the wild and crazy guy shtick, but we also get some incredibly profound moments as he shows us Jonas' serious side.  I totally bought both.

Martin would speak of the dancing lessons he took when he was growing up.  They were obvious as Jonas was prancing and moving all about trying to gin up excitement.  Smooth as silk, he was.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The best role Steve Martin ever portrayed was the charlatan Jonas Nightengale, in Leap of Faith.

We get the wild and crazy guy shtick, but we also get some incredibly profound moments as he shows us Jonas' serious side.  I totally bought both.

Martin would speak of the dancing lessons he took when he was growing up.  They were obvious as Jonas was prancing and moving all about trying to gin up excitement.  Smooth as silk, he was.

Leap of Faith is a great movie. I think Steve Martin must have watched the televangelists because he sounded just like them.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Believe it or not, my fave Steve Martin role was playing the well-intended but mostly  ineffectual married dad Gil Buckman in the original Parenthood (1989). IMO, brought just the right amounts of comedic charm and dramatic angst to the role- AND, to his credit, he was completely believable in the role despite him not being an actual parent at the time.

• Applause 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

MCU UO: I would gladly Snap Steve and Peggy’s happy ending out of existence and give it to Wanda and Vision, Thor and Jane, or Tony and Pepper. Or all three.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Applause 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

MCU UO: I would gladly Snap Steve and Peggy’s happy ending out of existence and give it to Wanda and Vision, Thor and Jane, or Tony and Pepper. Or all three.

Oh, me too. Endgame was, for the most part, pretty good right up until that moment.  Why they did that and not take him back to get his dance with her, then bring him back is beyond me.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was fine with the ending they gave Steve and Peggy in Endgame.

My UO opinion is I thought Thor and Jane were an ok couple pre-Ragnorak. Not great, mind you, but ok.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I was fine with the ending they gave Steve and Peggy in Endgame.

My UO opinion is I thought Thor and Jane were an ok couple pre-Ragnorak. Not great, mind you, but ok.

Well here’s an UO to piggyback off that, I liked Thor and Jane as a couple way more than Steve and Peggy. And after seeing Love and Thunder, I stand by that.

• Love 4

I don't like the Godfather but I like when it comes up in references, parodys and etc. From Gilmore Girls' wacked with cannoli to Hot Shots Topper and Ramada having a date at the Italian restaurant, Billy Crystal's character in Analyze This telling Robert DeNiro's character the nightmare (and shown) who response with "I'm Frido? I don't think so.", Rugrats in Paris Angelica watched the Godfather and naturally was inspired, the Nanny Fran waking up with a horse in her bed  being Grace's toy when she realize she's dating a mobster, an actual horse in bed in with that woman Airplane, etc.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I don't like the Godfather but I like when it comes up in references, parodys and etc. From Gilmore Girls' wacked with cannoli to Hot Shots Topper and Ramada having a date at the Italian restaurant, Billy Crystal's character in Analyze This telling Robert DeNiro's character the nightmare (and shown) who response with "I'm Frido? I don't think so.", Rugrats in Paris Angelica watched the Godfather and naturally was inspired, the Nanny Fran waking up with a horse in her bed  being Grace's toy when she realize she's dating a mobster, an actual horse in bed in with that woman Airplane, etc.

This is exactly how I feel about Star Wars.

• Love 2
On 1/29/2022 at 7:15 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, come now, you think that's going to get you pelted with flying rotten garbage? Observe!

I love Ghostbusters 2.

Mr. Market and I say "but I whoooo'd" and "vy am I am drippings in goo?" in Peter MacNicol's accent way, way, way more than people should. We love GB2.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I found the ending of Grease depressing. So, Sandy conforms and becomes a slut for Danny, who doesn't change at all.

I didn't like it because it perpetuated the idea that if you like "Girly" things like dresses and nicely combed hair with ribbons etc, you're not cool. To be "cool" which is clearly what we should all want to be, you should wear tight pants and heavy makeup. I was young when I first watched it so the idea that she changed for a guy was lost on me. I just saw it as her changing into a "cool" girl because nice girls suck, so while I love the music and some characters are fun, I don't actually really like the story at all.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I found the ending of Grease depressing. So, Sandy conforms and becomes a slut for Danny, who doesn't change at all.

Actually, he kind of does. No, he doesn’t suddenly become a clean-cut jock for Sandy, but he finally decides to stop basing his life on what his friends think. When they’re shocked to see him in the letterman jacket, he just tells them that while they are important to him, so is Sandy, and he’s going to start putting her first.

As far as Sandy…well, you can interpret it as conforming. However, let’s not automatically write her off as a slut just because of her wardrobe, shall we?

Honestly, I think the ending to Grease 2 is more depressing. Michael nearly gets himself killed riding a motorcycle all to impress a girl who didn’t look twice at him until he got HIS makeover and conformed.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 6
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Gharlane said:

They changed equally for one another in that they exchanged wardrobes.  She wore sexier clothes.  He got in athletic gear.  The indication is that she'll be more like the people she's hanging out with in the "cool" clothes and he'll ditch the gear but he evolved in not being afraid to show that he's really into her.

Having to change for one's partner isn't a great message to send but it wasn't one-sided.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wow. Really? So, glamming it up, which has nothing to do with behavior, turns Sandy into someone who sleeps around? Because that's what the definition of slut is.

Seriously.

A makeover that gives you confidence does not automatically equal selling out. Case in point: The Princess Diaries. Were we supposed to agree with Lilly when she made Mia feel like crap for straightening her hair and getting a new purse, accusing her of being a sell out? No. She was being a bitch and got rightfully called out on it. And in the end, Mia was still Mia, new hair and all. It would have been a horrible ending if she decided to go back to curly hair and glasses when she clearly liked her new look and how it made her feel.

• Applause 5
  • Love 6

I always saw Sandy's transformation less about sexing it up for Danny and more her coming out of her shell, breaking free of the good girl image and embracing her inner rebel. I think it was clear Danny liked her for who she was so she didn't need to change for him but he also wanted her to be the happiest her she can be, so if that means not being able to sit without fear of splitting her ultra tight pants, so be it. lol 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously.

A makeover that gives you confidence does not automatically equal selling out. Case in point: The Princess Diaries. Were we supposed to agree with Lilly when she made Mia feel like crap for straightening her hair and getting a new purse, accusing her of being a sell out? No. She was being a bitch and got rightfully called out on it. And in the end, Mia was still Mia, new hair and all. It would have been a horrible ending if she decided to go back to curly hair and glasses when she clearly liked her new look and how it made her feel.

I hated Lilly. She was horrible to Mia before the hair cut. But then freaking out over the hair cut. Why? It was a hair cut. Mia can do whatever she wants with her hair. What's scary is she is so much worse in the books. 

I just realized Andia's horrible best friend in The Devil Wears Prada is also Lily. She's pretty much the same character accept she takes gifts Andi gives her while still treating her like crap by trying to stay employeed, got kissed by another guy, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I always saw Sandy's transformation less about sexing it up for Danny and more her coming out of her shell, breaking free of the good girl image and embracing her inner rebel. I think it was clear Danny liked her for who she was so she didn't need to change for him but he also wanted her to be the happiest her she can be, so if that means not being able to sit without fear of splitting her ultra tight pants, so be it. lol 

I just wish we knew what it was about. If it was this then that's great. Was that how she was at the beach? Less the good girl image or a mixture? Was Danny the less of how his with his friends? However he was with Sandy wasn't how he is at school or with his friends. But also makes sense. Away from friends and family it's easier to be different. 

7 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I just wish we knew what it was about. If it was this then that's great. Was that how she was at the beach? Less the good girl image or a mixture? Was Danny the less of how his with his friends?

No. We saw in the opening scenes of them on the beach, laughing, joking, falling in love. And when she thinks she has to go back to Australia, Danny comes on strong, and she pushes him away, telling him not to ruin what they had.

I know, it's not enough for some people, but the movie spanned the entire school year, and after that drag race, you had Sandy singing, saying goodbye to the old "Sandra Dee" and asked Frenchie if she would help her, because everything wasn't alright.

And Danny also matured--and he wanted Sandy back, and even when they were together before that scene in the car, he was working to earn that Letter.

For me, I don't need to know when or why Sandy decided to do this. It's a fun movie with wonderful songs. 

If anything about Sandy bugged me, it was her need to know if Danny and Cha Cha had dated. Like, it was before he even met you, so just drop it.

• Like 2
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No. We saw in the opening scenes of them on the beach, laughing, joking, falling in love. And when she thinks she has to go back to Australia, Danny comes on strong, and she pushes him away, telling him not to ruin what they had.

I know, it's not enough for some people, but the movie spanned the entire school year, and after that drag race, you had Sandy singing, saying goodbye to the old "Sandra Dee" and asked Frenchie if she would help her, because everything wasn't alright.

And Danny also matured--and he wanted Sandy back, and even when they were together before that scene in the car, he was working to earn that Letter.

For me, I don't need to know when or why Sandy decided to do this. It's a fun movie with wonderful songs. 

If anything about Sandy bugged me, it was her need to know if Danny and Cha Cha had dated. Like, it was before he even met you, so just drop it.

It is a fun movie. I do like Danny and Sandy, along with the rest of their groups.

• Love 1

While on the subject of unnecessary displays of jealousy, I’ve long since soured on Peggy Carter for a multitude of reasons, and I really don’t get why her “testing” Steve’s prototype shield by shooting at him because she was pissed about the rando girl kissing him in Captain America shouldn’t be seen as hilarious when it really wasn’t. What if the shield didn’t work and Steve got hurt and worse? All because she saw a guy that she wasn’t even officially dating with another woman and got mad at him without letting him explain? 

That’s bunny-boiler type of behavior there. If a guy pulled that crap with a woman, we wouldn’t be laughing, we’d be screaming at her to run for the hills.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

While on the subject of unnecessary displays of jealousy, I’ve long since soured on Peggy Carter for a multitude of reasons, and I really don’t get why her “testing” Steve’s prototype shield by shooting at him because she was pissed about the rando girl kissing him in Captain America shouldn’t be seen as hilarious when it really wasn’t. What if the shield didn’t work and Steve got hurt and worse? All because she saw a guy that she wasn’t even officially dating with another woman and got mad at him without letting him explain? 

That’s bunny-boiler type of behavior there. If a guy pulled that crap with a woman, we wouldn’t be laughing, we’d be screaming at her to run for the hills.

I have never understood Peggy's logic in that movie.  She is the one who chose celibacy during the war, and she expects Steve to follow suit.  Everyone else is living it up because they know how precious time is when there's a war going on, but not Peggy.  I can't figure out if we are supposed to think that's virtuous.  Because the historical record shows the members of The Greatest Generation were a lot hornier than what we want to think.  It does feel off that the only Avenger who fucks is Tony.  

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It does feel off that the only Avenger who fucks is Tony.  

Don’t forget that we are supposed to see Tony as selfish.  He has a serious relationship, takes a nuclear bomb to outer space, builds a compound for all the avengers, takes care of all their needs, but the only time he is heralded as unselfish is when he finally kills himself to save earth.

Count me in as someone not wild about Grease.  People can say what they want, but IMO Sandy doesn’t sing “You’re the One that I Want” with the emphasis on “feel your way” without plans to lose her virginity that night, which is fine if we didn’t have the earlier “goodbye to Sandra Dee” song that pretty much makes clear she is doing this to keep him more than anything.  Danny drops that letter sweater pretty quickly so I don’t hold much stock in his plan to change for her.  Actually, I was a kid when the movie came out and didn’t understand why my older sisters chuckled when I tried to argue he was changing for her.  Fast forward a few years when I saw it on tv, and then I understood.

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

I have never found jealous behaviour funny (in the context of a comedy) or romantic. It is narcissistic and selfish. Especially in both the context of Peggy lashing out over instead of talking it out and Sandy being jealous of someone Danny knew before he ever met her. 

I give Sandy far more leeway because she didn't, you know, point a weapon at someone, but in both cases I think actually telling Cap/Danny how Peggy/Sandy felt would have been far more affective. 

Jealousy is never romantic, cute, funny, or appropriate. Stop trying to make jealousy charming Hollywood!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Don’t forget that we are supposed to see Tony as selfish.  He has a serious relationship, takes a nuclear bomb to outer space, builds a compound for all the avengers, takes care of all their needs, but the only time he is heralded as unselfish is when he finally kills himself to save earth.

Well, when you're having to be measured by the standards of Steve Rogers, who is the bestest most perfectest human to ever live, it's difficult to be seen as anything else. I mean, sure, Rogers can look you right in the eye and talk about integrity and doing the right thing only for it to be 'do as I say, not as I do', but never mind that.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I liked Olivia Newton-John, and like some of the songs in the movie…but overall, I really don’t care much for the rest of the movie.

The Grease soundtrack is better than the movie. I would say the same thing about Saturday Night Fever and Purple Rain. I was too young to see Saturday Night Fever in theaters. I saw it on television and I hated it. The only good parts of the movie were the disco scenes. Prince was a brilliant singer and musician but he couldn't act.

• Like 1
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Well, when you're having to be measured by the standards of Steve Rogers, who is the bestest most perfectest human to ever live, it's difficult to be seen as anything else. I mean, sure, Rogers can look you right in the eye and talk about integrity and doing the right thing only for it to be 'do as I say, not as I do', but never mind that.

Both Tony and Steve have a self righteous problem but for some reason I can stomach Steve's better.  Tony is such a hypocrite in Civil War I'm damn near done with him for the rest of the Infinity Saga.  Contrast to T'challa in the same movie who heads down that path as well but he realizes it by the end and is able to reverse course.

• Love 2

Wading into the Grease debate for a couple of things: first, I think it might be fair to say they both changed.  Danny wasn't wearing his letterman's sweater because he stole it from a jock: he'd earned the letter in track.  Over the course of the movie, he'd done something that he felt would better himself because of Sandy.  Not only that, but after she rejects him at the drive-in, one of the opening lines of "Sandy" is "what will they say Monday at school?"  When he shows up in the letterman's sweater, before he sees Sandy, he's showing that he no longer cares.  (Although to be fair, he's also just graduated.)  He might strip off the sweater when they sing "You're the One That I Want," but the person who earned that letter is the same.  And as for Sandy, she may be dressed in sexy black leather with makeup and teased hair, but the bit with the cigarette (the Pink Ladies note it, Sandy gets a disgusted look on her face and crushes it under her shoe) seemed to say to me that she may be embracing a more mature Sandy, but she's not completely changed herself for him.  And really--"You're the One That I Want" is all about what Sandy wants in a man, and what Danny needs to do to win her, with the refrain of "you better shape up/I better shape up."

Also, for some reason I guess it never occurred to me that Sandy was taking Danny to task for his past relationship with Cha-Cha, which happened well before he met her.  I always thought she was asking if anything happened between them after the dance.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

The Grease soundtrack is better than the movie. I would say the same thing about Saturday Night Fever and Purple Rain. I was too young to see Saturday Night Fever in theaters. I saw it on television and I hated it. The only good parts of the movie were the disco scenes. Prince was a brilliant singer and musician but he couldn't act.

IMO, it's too bad they didn't hire a professional performer to have played Prince's character then had Prince dub his singing voice. The only thing is that Prince was an incredibly acrobatic stage performer (somewhat along the lines of Garth Brooks, Pink, David Lee Roth and the late Eddie Van Halen) so it would have been tough to have found someone who could have replicated his physicality onstage for the film.

• Love 3