Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Who’s That Girl is a very cute movie.  Yet got slammed by the reviews.  I give it 9 out of 10 stars

Jim Varney in all the Earnest movies are comedy classics as well and underrated 

Just saw this for the first time!  I was making fun of it a lot at the beginning but by the end I was like DO I LIKE THIS MOVIE?????  I mean the title track is amazing.  I liked a lot of things about the movie and would watch it again.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Just saw this for the first time!  I was making fun of it a lot at the beginning but by the end I was like DO I LIKE THIS MOVIE?????  I mean the title track is amazing.  I liked a lot of things about the movie and would watch it again.

Yeah agree.

Great little flick.  I liked the subtle jabs at rich people as well.  Lauden needed Nikki in his life to show him how crappy the people were he was associating with 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Hiyo said:

It's a good song, but I like Causing a Commotion even more.

Many good Madonna songs from that movie.  Who's that girl is my fave but this is a great quiet one

I loved this movie when it came out but A Beautiful Mind really hasn't held up well in my eyes.

At the end of the day the movie just made John Nash out to be an asshole.  Then the only time his wife screams is when her husband is impotent.  And I like Jennifer Connelly a lot as well.  

I have to feel something for the characters for me to embrace.  Travis Bickle especially and even Jake LaMotta for example I felt a certain amount of sympathy for.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 1

Speaking of Madonna, her look here to me was the most beautiful/glamorous/sexy I had ever seen at any movie awards related show.  Still is to this day easily for me.  Not that I pay close attention to this stuff.  lol.  

Evita the movie itself was all right.

• Love 2
On 9/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, Browncoat said:

"It's a race!  I am winning!"

And I agree that it is underrated, and likely unfairly compared to It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World.

I mean, it's kind of similar to IaMMMMW... but ever so much shorter!!

I don't like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers's most loved film, Swing Time. The plot is weak even by their standards, and don't get me started on that human hemorrhoid Victor Moore (why did this man have a career?!?!?).

It does boast their best numbers, though, I ain't gonna lie. 

4 hours ago, Crs97 said:

I’ve accepted that anytime a movie is just gushed over as “quirky,” that is code for “I will absolutely hate it!”

There was a movie categorized under "quirky" I liked a lot.  Bill Murray in Quick Change.

For what's probably an unpopular opinion though Groundhog Day to me doesn't age well as a film at all.  

• Like 3

The Shawshank Redemption is a good film but doesn't serve to be #1 all time on Imdb.

One of my friends favorite movies is The Princess Brides.  Since it's highly regarded I watched it but the movie didn't do anything really for me.  I cant see what so great about it.

The Graduate is overrated.  Dustin Hoffman was way better in Midnight Cowboy and Rainman.  

Actually in general I think most of my opinions are unpopular 😆

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

The Shawshank Redemption is a good film but doesn't serve to be #1 all time on Imdb.

One of my friends favorite movies is The Princess Brides.  Since it's highly regarded I watched it but the movie didn't do anything really for me.  I cant see what so great about it.

The Graduate is overrated.  Dustin Hoffman was way better in Midnight Cowboy and Rainman.  

Actually in general I think most of my opinions are unpopular 😆

I was never the biggest fan of Princess Bride either.  It has some famous lines but it's not something I've felt compelled to watch more than once.  The skutch in me wants it to be remade just to see everyone's heads explode.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

For the life of me, I don't get what's so wonderful about The Shawshank Redemption. Sorry.

As much as I love Sissy Spacek, Mary Tyler Moore got robbed at the 1981 Oscars. She was stunning in Ordinary People

I don't hate Kathryn Grayson as much as everyone else on the TCM forum seems to.

Nicole Kidman has never been better than when she was in To Die For

• Love 6

I never got Shawshank or The Princess Bride either, but I've only seen them once each, so maybe I'm missing something.  (On the other hand I loooooooooove The Graduate and loved it right away!)

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Nicole Kidman has never been better than when she was in To Die For

Agree 💯 

Easily her best performance and best she ever looked to me.  The J Phoenix character was pretty dumb in that movie but I can’t blame him for being seduced by Suzanne 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I like it exponentially better than I do any similarly androcentric films, but number one?!  Not even close. 

6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

I was never the biggest fan of Princess Bride either.  It has some famous lines but it's not something I've felt compelled to watch more than once.

I've never seen it.  I know I need to at some point given its status, but it has not yet compelled me.

5 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

As much as I love Sissy Spacek, Mary Tyler Moore got robbed at the 1981 Oscars. She was stunning in Ordinary People

She would have been my pick, too, but I would have been satisfied with any of the nominees winning (and love that Goldie Hawn was nominated for Private Benjamin as, terrific supporting cast acknowledged, she's the reason that film works at all).

• Love 5

Speaking of seductive characters, sexiest movie performance I ever watched was Madonna in Body of Evidence.   Perhaps I’m biased being a fan but it was the first movie technically over an R rating I watched.  Her beauty and characters behavior was umm I’ll just say jaw dropping and appealing.

Actually I liked that movie better than Basic Instinct which is out around the same time.

As mentioned Nicole Kidman in To Die For is up there as well 

• Love 2
On 9/27/2022 at 12:50 PM, BlueSkies said:

I would say Star Wars movies aren’t that good….  But I acknowledge I’m just not much into that genre.

I like Star Wars movie but I will agree that for the movies especially there is more bad then good in those things. Although with Rise of Skywalker I would say they probably did the best they could with the options they had at that point (what with one of their stars dying before filming started).

13 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Someone can correct me, but wasn't a big reason that Shawshank ended up as number 1 because a bunch of Batman nerds started giving 10 star ratings to The Dark Knight and 1 star ratings to like Citizen Kane and The Godfather. And then when the dust settled those movies had moved down but TDK hadn't hit the #1 spot.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Speaking of seductive characters, sexiest movie performance I ever watched was Madonna in Body of Evidence.   Perhaps I’m biased being a fan but it was the first movie technically over an R rating I watched.  Her beauty and characters behavior was umm I’ll just say jaw dropping and appealing.

Actually I liked that movie better than Basic Instinct which is out around the same time.

Exact same!  I didn't hate Body of Evidence and I prefer it over Basic Instinct, which I honestly find boring.

I've never been a fan of slasher movies, but try as I might, I really did not care for Scream 1 or Scream 2.  I really don't get the fandom, and I have really tried.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I like Star Wars movie but I will agree that for the movies especially there is more bad then good in those things. Although with Rise of Skywalker I would say they probably did the best they could with the options they had at that point (what with one of their stars dying before filming started).

Someone can correct me, but wasn't a big reason that Shawshank ended up as number 1 because a bunch of Batman nerds started giving 10 star ratings to The Dark Knight and 1 star ratings to like Citizen Kane and The Godfather. And then when the dust settled those movies had moved down but TDK hadn't hit the #1 spot.

Yeah I’ll say Star Wars and Star Trek type stuff isn’t my thing.  I give that disclaimer before I say I don’t care for those films. 

For as long as I discovered IMDb which is like 20 years The Shawshank Redemption has been number 1 rated film.  Or very close to it from memory.  I assume today it still is 

15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I never got Shawshank or The Princess Bride either, but I've only seen them once each, so maybe I'm missing something.  (On the other hand I loooooooooove The Graduate and loved it right away!)

I think if The Graduate was made today it would more likely revolve around Mrs Robinsons point of view.  

I guess the movie is something of upper middle class satire but it doesnt connect with me

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Agree 💯 

Easily her best performance and best she ever looked to me.  The J Phoenix character was pretty dumb in that movie but I can’t blame him for being seduced by Suzanne 

I think Nicole Kidman's best movie is the Others. I didn't guess the twist at the end.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

I think if The Graduate was made today it would more likely revolve around Mrs Robinsons point of view.  

I feel like if the Graduate had never been made in the 60s but was instead made shot for shot today, the same generation that grew up loving it/relating to it would dismiss it as a story for whiney gen z-ers.  Same with Rebel Without a Cause.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, BlueSkies said:

Die Hard With A Vengeance to me was easily the best movie in that franchise 

I know I've said that several times in this thread, but I'll go ahead and chime in again because I agree so thoroughly -- I will not re-watch so much as a minute of the first two, but every single time With a Vengeance is on TV as I'm going around the dial, I stop and watch at least parts of it.  Samuel L. Jackson makes something I otherwise can't stand fun, with great assists by Graham Greene, Colleen Camp, and John Dixon Larry Brygmann.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know I've said that several times in this thread, but I'll go ahead and chime in again because I agree so thoroughly -- I will not re-watch so much as a minute of the first two, but every single time With a Vengeance is on TV as I'm going around the dial, I stop and watch at least parts of it.  Samuel L. Jackson makes something I otherwise can't stand fun, with great assists by Graham Greene, Colleen Camp, and John Dixon Larry Brygmann.

Part of what makes it great to me too Is seeing the 1990s NYC on full display.  

Was a fan of going to the city then, today it’s too gentrified imo 

I love the Shawshank Redemption but I have a hard time calling it the number one because there are so many really great movies. If we're talking just prison movie then it would be number one for me. But best drama? Best of all time? There's too many to chose from. 

• Love 3

Robert DeNiro had many great films/performances in the 70's through the 90's.  I mean Taxi Driver is definitely in my top 10 favorite films.  But at this point his filmography is pretty much I don't want to say ruined but I find him highly overrated as a result of his films since 2000.

While I also actually kinda agree a good amount with his politics, he comes off like a douche when he shouts his beliefs out.  I've seen him do this at colleges as well.  Particulary when its among 99% of people that agree with him.  More or less he just comes off as an elitist to me at this point in his life 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2022 at 5:31 PM, kathyk24 said:

I think Nicole Kidman's best movie is the Others. I didn't guess the twist at the end.

I loved that movie, and yes, she was outstanding in it. I don't think I've seen it since I saw it in the theater years when it was released. And the ending surprised me too, never saw it coming!

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Ron Howard's best movie was his first: Night Shift

I just commented on another thread how Happy Days went downhill once Fonzie jumped the shark.  But in this movie Henry Winkler played a character the complete opposite of the Fonz and did it very well.

It's also Michael Keaton's first movie I believe.  He was very good in it as well!  All and all an underrated comedy 

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Like 3
  • Love 5

Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein was better than those stupid B-horror movie Frankensteins. Fine, the cast hammed things up, but it was the best and most accurate version of the original novel, and it really hammers down the central theme of the story: don’t play God. Or, from another perspective, if you don’t take responsibility for the life you create, there are consequences.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2