Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

(edited)
19 minutes ago, festivus said:

Chris Evans is only attractive to me as Steve Rogers. I do like him as an actor though.

I think it was his best look, too, but from Winter Soldier on.  He didn't do much for me in The First Avenger and The Avengers.  His look in Gifted worked for me, as well:

chris-evans-gifted-movie-stills-04.jpg

gifted-chris-evans-mckenna-grace.jpg

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 1

Ok, this might get me kicked off the site. I don't enjoy the John Wick movies. Don't get me wrong, if I were 20 years younger, Keanu Reeves could have my babies, and I do not subscibe to the notion that he's a bad actor. With a few clunkers in between, like everyone else, but overall, he's charismatic, he makes interesting choices in the movies he is part of, and of course, he seems like a very chill person who is also smoking hot. I like most of the movies he's been in, just not these. 

I find them boring. I see the quality objectively, I get why people like them, but I just don't care. They just don't hold my attention other than watching him wander around in them. I feel somewhat bad about it.

*ducks flying rotten garbage. 

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, supposebly said:

Ok, this might get me kicked off the site. I don't enjoy the John Wick movies. Don't get me wrong, if I were 20 years younger, Keanu Reeves could have my babies, and I do not subscibe to the notion that he's a bad actor. With a few clunkers in between, like everyone else, but overall, he's charismatic, he makes interesting choices in the movies he is part of, and of course, he seems like a very chill person who is also smoking hot. I like most of the movies he's been in, just not these. 

I find them boring. I see the quality objectively, I get why people like them, but I just don't care. They just don't hold my attention other than watching him wander around in them. I feel somewhat bad about it.

*ducks flying rotten garbage. 

Oh, come now, you think that's going to get you pelted with flying rotten garbage? Observe!

I hate Spirited Away.

I think Almost Famous is boring and overrated.

I love Ghostbusters 2.

And now, the grand finale...

Not only do I prefer the cut of Muppets Christmas Carol without "When Love is Gone", but I think "Winter was Warm" from Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol is the far superior "Ebenezer Scrooge getting his ass dumped" song!

• Love 7
On 1/24/2022 at 5:05 PM, proserpina65 said:

It wasn't a terrible movie.  Had it not been Han Solo's origin story, I might've enjoyed it.  It just didn't work as an origin story for me.

Given the reception of Rogue One compared to Solo and The Mandalorian as compared to Book of Boba Fett, LucasFilm should probably rethink telling stories that are primarily about major characters from the OT.

And also, UO:  Boba Fett sucks.  Yes, even in the OT.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I love Ghostbusters 2.

Granted, it was 20 years ago, so I barely have any memory, but I did NOOOOOOOOOT understand the Almost Famous hype either.  I was completely flabbergasted.

I also genuinely love Ghostbusters 2.  I just rewatched it recently and I love it and I don't get the flaws.  LOL

Edited my post because AF was actually released in 2000 - not 2003 like I thought.  Holy moly!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Granted, it was almost 20 years ago, so I barely have any memory, but I did NOOOOOOOOOT understand the Almost Famous hype either.  I was completely flabbergasted.

I also genuinely love Ghostbusters 2.  I just rewatched it recently and I love it and I don't get the flaws.  LOL

I don't remember loving it, either.  I'm actually flabbergasted by most the Oscar hyped films and have been for years (not that it stops me from watching the ceremony). 

I barely remember Ghostbusters 2, except for this:

"Next week, hairless pets.  Gross."

For some reason that made me giggle.  It was probably the matter of fact way he said it with the blank look on his face. 

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, supposebly said:

Ok, this might get me kicked off the site. I don't enjoy the John Wick movies.

I don't even know what they're about, so no kicking here!

Okay, just looked it up on IMDb:

With the untimely death of his beloved wife still bitter in his mouth, John Wick, the expert former assassin, receives one final gift from her--a precious keepsake to help John find a new meaning in life now that she is gone. But when the arrogant Russian mob prince, Iosef Tarasov, and his men pay Wick a rather unwelcome visit to rob him of his prized 1969 Mustang and his wife's present, the legendary hitman will be forced to unearth his meticulously concealed identity. Blind with revenge, John will immediately unleash a carefully orchestrated maelstrom of destruction against the sophisticated kingpin, Viggo Tarasov, and his family, who are fully aware of his lethal capacity. Now, only blood can quench the boogeyman's thirst for retribution.

Yeah, I'm going to pass on that.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I barely remember Ghostbusters 2, except for this:

"Next week, hairless pets.  Gross."

For some reason that made me giggle.  It was probably the matter of fact way he said it with the blank look on his face. 

The really shocking thing for me that was when I rewatched it a few months ago, alllllllll the memories came flooding back.  I didn't even know that I had seen the movie, but as soon as I started it I remembered SO MUCH OF IT.  I enjoyed it all over again.

• Love 3
(edited)

The draw of the John Wick movies, at least for me, is not only are there some great lines of dialog, but the fight scenes are choreographed beautifully.  No up close shots, with quick edits and shakey cam. They are choreographed and filmed like a dance. I hear that the choreographer was once a stunt man, which is one reason there was such a difference.  It's also fantastic at world building.  

However, it is very violent,  so you have to be prepared for that going in. I have a friend who doesn't like overly violent movies, but agreed to watch it, preparing herself mentally,  and ended up really liking the series for those reasons, too.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

The draw of the John Wick movies, at least for me, is not only are there some great lines of dialog, but the fight scenes are choreographed beautifully.  No up close shots, with quick edits and shakey cam. They are choreographed and filmed like a dance. I hear that the choreographer was once a stunt man, which is one reason there was such a difference.  It's also fantastic at world building. 

The two directors of the first one were both stunt men, until they worked their way up to stunt coordinators, then directors. Then one of them left for other projects, but the other one is still going strong.

But I've seen JW 2 & 3, directed by Chad Stahelski alone. I've also seen some of David Leitch's later work. Nothing I've seen has the same magic as John Wick 1. Some people are stronger as part of a team than separately. Anyone else feel that way?

21 hours ago, starri said:

Given the reception of Rogue One compared to Solo and The Mandalorian as compared to Book of Boba Fett, LucasFilm should probably rethink telling stories that are primarily about major characters from the OT.

Forgive me for piggy-backing off others who have made this point, but it pisses me off that Boba Fett, this absolute nothing of a character, gets his own damn origin series, but Princess fucking Leia gets diddley-squat. 

I know Carrie Fisher is a tough act to follow at any stage, but I refuse to believe that there isn't a young actress out there who can't get the job done sufficiently well! 

• Love 12
On 1/29/2022 at 7:26 AM, starri said:

Would we even know it was Star Wars if part of the fandom didn't hate it?

• LOL 3
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Forgive me for piggy-backing off others who have made this point, but it pisses me off that Boba Fett, this absolute nothing of a character, gets his own damn origin series, but Princess fucking Leia gets diddley-squat. 

I know Carrie Fisher is a tough act to follow at any stage, but I refuse to believe that there isn't a young actress out there who can't get the job done sufficiently well! 

Agreed, and on a shallow note, why  did so many fans somehow consider him sexy? He NEVER once took off his helmet in the OS- even when supposedly relaxing in Jabba's lair so,for all anyone knows, Fett could have had a face that looked like Jabba's uglier bro underneath! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Hell give Padme her own series! If anyone deserves character redemption after getting killed off at the end of a trilogy, it’s her!

• Like 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Anduin said:

The two directors of the first one were both stunt men, until they worked their way up to stunt coordinators, then directors. Then one of them left for other projects, but the other one is still going strong.

But I've seen JW 2 & 3, directed by Chad Stahelski alone. I've also seen some of David Leitch's later work. Nothing I've seen has the same magic as John Wick 1. Some people are stronger as part of a team than separately. Anyone else feel that way?

Thanks for the correction.  I thought all three movies were strong and didn't notice much of a difference, but then again, I don't notice things that other people do, unless it's something egregious.  The opening scene to the JW2 and the fight scene with Halle Berry and the dogs in JW3 were brilliant, imo.

• Love 1
On 1/29/2022 at 11:11 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only movie of his I enjoyed was an ABC or maybe a Disney television movie that aired on ABC in the 80s where he played Robert Urich’s character at 17.

OMG! I watched this TV movie too… He was already dopey, and for the most part, he still performs the same way now. Keanu in real life being adorably befuddled is a plus, but I don't need to see him act. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:15 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Oh, come now, you think that's going to get you pelted with flying rotten garbage? Observe!

I hate Spirited Away.

Considering Almost Famous is just (insert whatever_shrug.gif) is got me into this thread, and it's a movie opinion you can't say in an unfamiliar company because: flying rotten garbage.

Double that with being totally not interested in anything Ghibli. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Agreed, and on a shallow note, why  did so many fans somehow consider him sexy? He NEVER once took off his helmet in the OS- even when supposedly relaxing in Jabba's lair so,for all anyone knows, Fett could have had a face that looked like Jabba's uglier bro underneath! 

haha, this reminds me of how I always found Vader very sexy (I blame the voice. I'm a sucker for a deep voice) until I saw what was under that helmet. So I guess the real lesson here is, helmets are sexy. 

I would watch the hell out of a well done Princess Leia show. As much as I loved the original trilogy, and really enjoyed the last set of movies, I've little use for most of the rest of the Star Wars universe, but I have always moved Leia and would love to see what she more of her. For some reason I think I'd like Maya Hawke to play a young Leia. I just think she'd be able to nail the attitude and has the acting chops to hold her own in the role. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Because he was a unique toy as opposed to the mass of stormtroopers. Sort of like the mass of Asgardians versus the Warriors 3. Or Wakanda's army and their officers

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Kathleen Kennedy said they weren't going to recast Leia for TROS, and I think that applies to further portrayals. Even though Millie Bobby Brown looks a lot like a young Carrie Fisher, and Kristen Bell could channel the same spirit. Presence.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I would love a Leia or Padme series! Or both!

I'd like a movie depicting a possible outcome of Padme having survived AND getting to know her grown offspring. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For me, he was kinda just there in the OT.  I've never understood the devoted cult following that developed around the character.

He's got a great look and a couple of good moves. Sometimes that's all it takes.

• Love 1

The Star Wars fandom's obsession with Boba Fett has always baffled me. He is literally a cool looking helmet and a jetpack, but you have people willing to fanwank all manner of reasons he's cool - "Vader spoke to him directly!"

I'm sure that, if his TV show is considered a failure, those same fans will be twisting themselves in knots trying to explain why "Disney just don't get the character" who had two lines and did one competent thing before dying embarrassingly in the original trilogy.

I mean, fucking Greedo had more dialogue and more personality than Boba Fett.

On 1/30/2022 at 3:48 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Hell give Padme her own series! If anyone deserves character redemption after getting killed off at the end of a trilogy, it’s her!

Unless it's an alternate universe where she doesn't fall for Anakin's creepy, obsessive 'charm' and sexy lines like "I killed them all! The women and children too!" I don't think I'd be interested.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 7

UO: I like how the trio of Harry, Ron and Hermione are depicted in the Harry Potter movies. I know why fans don't especially when it comes to Ron but the needs of a movie are different to the needs of a book. BookRon is the perfect best friend for boys who identify with Harry and for girls who identify as Hermione he's the perfect boyfriend. In movies though with moments too scary for little kids you need some comic relief.

• Love 3
On 1/30/2022 at 8:31 PM, Anduin said:

Kathleen Kennedy said they weren't going to recast Leia for TROS, and I think that applies to further portrayals. Even though Millie Bobby Brown looks a lot like a young Carrie Fisher, and Kristen Bell could channel the same spirit. Presence.

I suspect if they ever did recast Leia Billie Lourd would probably be publicly approached first; even she wasn't interested her 'blessing' would be great PR for whichever actress they did settle on.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Lazlo said:

I suspect if they ever did recast Leia Billie Lourd would probably be publicly approached first; even she wasn't interested her 'blessing' would be great PR for whichever actress they did settle on.

I know she played Leia in the TROS flashback, but she doesn't look very much like her mother. Maybe she can channel the same energy. Either way, it'd be nice to see Leia return.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I saw Groundhog Day once, when it came out on dvd (video?).   I didn't understand the appeal of it.  I don't even remember if I made it through the whole movie.

I saw part of it on cable once-  which was quite enough to get the gist of it and to know what the idiom   of living one's life as an endless 'Groundhog Day' means. No point in going back in rewatching the whole thing. IMO, not one of Mr. Murray's best cinematic performances.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, Shannon L. said:

I saw Groundhog Day once, when it came out on dvd (video?).   I didn't understand the appeal of it.  I don't even remember if I made it through the whole movie.

Hard to tell since it's so boring.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2022 at 6:05 PM, Anduin said:

I know she played Leia in the TROS flashback, but she doesn't look very much like her mother. Maybe she can channel the same energy. Either way, it'd be nice to see Leia return.

Same here. What I really wanted to see from the sequel trilogy was Luke, Leia and Han together again. Fighting together against the big bad. Leia and Han married, Leia as a Jedi and Leia and Luke together as siblings with Chewie, R2 and C3PO. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, PepSinger said:

What is this supposed to mean?

It means that I won't just accept any male hero these days. I need something that's actually really good. In fact, I can't remember the last white man to really blow me away. Fury Road was more about a white woman. John Wick, or at least Keanu Reeves, is biracial. Maybe Captain America 1.

There's a lot of good but not great. And below that there's a lot of just all right. Then all the shit at the bottom.

I like Boba Fett more now that he's Maori Bob Hoskins. He could be a lot better if he was allowed to be funny but then fans would riot. He has to be cool and badass all the time OR ELSE.  Fett fans are keeping him from being an actually interesting character and his show from being more entertaining by being hostile to comedy unless it's a droid or minor character. Great crime shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad and an entertaining one like Peaky Blinders aren't just violence and darkness, they also can be hilarious.

• Love 1

I said before that I didn't think The Eternals was as bad as people were making it out to be. I'm going to double down on that. I've seen it 4 times now-once when it first came to theaters, two other times with friends who hadn't seen it yet, and one more time recently for the hell of it- and honestly,  the more I see it, the more I like it. It's just different and a bit overwhelming, that's all. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

While it's not my favorite of the movies by any means, I enjoyed it.

18 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

It's just different and a bit overwhelming, that's all. 

I think I said this when the first proper trailer came out, but a lot of the visuals reminded me more than a little of Lord of the Rings, which is quite different than all the Marvel movies before.  It's very odd choice to take, I suppose, when the characters have their genesis in Jack Kirby's pop art splendor, but I thought it was gorgeous-looking.

• Love 2

I didn't hate Eternals, but for me, its biggest weakness was that it was going for an End Game (or even an Avengers 2012) level scope without any End Game level character investment.  I just didn't care at the end.  Legit did not care what happened to them. 

• Love 4

I don't know how unpopular this opinion is, but I hate it when 2 leads are "forced" into a romantic relationship. What's wrong with being best friends? I do believe people can be friends without automatically turning it into a will they, won't they situation. 

• Love 9
On 12/7/2021 at 2:44 PM, Danny Franks said:

Quentin Tarantino is honestly rubbish. The last fifteen years of his movies seem to be 'hire big stars, write a load of really long scenes where they get great monologues and look super cool' just in a different setting.

I just watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, and cannot believe that he made an almost three hour movie just so he could kill off the people who murdered Sharon Tate in silly, vengeful, over-the-top ways. I'd already despaired that the movie was going to actually be about anything, but then I realized just why he made it, when  it came to that endless scene of each attacker being punched, stabbed, bitten by a dog, having their heads caved in and one being set on fire. Just... what was the fucking point?

Quentin Tarantino peaked with Rural Fiction. If memory serves, he said he makes these movies to get laid at Hollywood parties. 🙄

I didn’t think Andrew Garfield was amazing in Tick, Tick, Boom. I don’t dislike him as an actor, although I don’t know a lot of his work. But I could feel his acting in every scene, I never forgot it was Andrew portraying a character. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

CODA was...fine?  I don't begrudge the SAG wins because I didn't have a problem with the cast, (I called it, actually) but the overall story wasn't anything we haven't already seen time and time again.  Don't get me wrong, there are instances when a movie can charm me enough where that doesn't matter, but for whatever reason, thar didn't happen this time around.  It's not a bad movie, but at no point did I ever think it's a "best" movie.

Man.  I've been holding that in for a while.

Edited by kiddo82
On 2/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, Shannon L. said:

I thought Groundhog Day was one of those movies with a terrific premise that didn't quite know how to resolve the situation. I kept thinking how it would have made a great one-hour episode of The Twilight Zone, with Rod Serling introducing it:

"Phil Connors, jaded newsman, dispatched to the small town of Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania, for its once-a-year moment in the sun...or the shadow.  The shadow of a groundhog, coincidentally also named Phil. But human Phil is about to fall into a deeper hole than his rodent namesake could ever dig. Stay tuned as Phil broadcasts from...The Twilight Zone!"

• Love 6
8 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I thought Groundhog Day was one of those movies with a terrific premise that didn't quite know how to resolve the situation. I kept thinking how it would have made a great one-hour episode of The Twilight Zone, with Rod Serling introducing it:

"Phil Connors, jaded newsman, dispatched to the small town of Punxsatawney, Pennsylvania, for its once-a-year moment in the sun...or the shadow.  The shadow of a groundhog, coincidentally also named Phil. But human Phil is about to fall into a deeper hole than his rodent namesake could ever dig. Stay tuned as Phil broadcasts from...The Twilight Zone!"

Even in that show's half-hour format, that'd have worked fine!  It's by no means  the most drawn-out or complicated plot in movie history.

• Love 1