Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Ugh the Hathahate. It annoyed me that people crapped on her for hugging Sally Field at the Golden Globes and cutting into Tom Hooper’s acceptance speech because she forgot to thank somebody in her own. People acted like those little clearly well intended things were evidence of an inflated ego. And then there was the whole alleged getting the same dress as Amanda Seyfried gown at the Oscars fiasco—which, if it was true, was rendered moot because she apparently was the one to change the dress, and people STILL crapped on what she wore because the fabric showed her nipples. 🙄

She really couldn’t win that year…except for all the awards she was nominated for, so suck on that, haters!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 15
8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

The contrast in the way the media, and a lot of the public, treated Anne Hathaway and the way they treated Jennifer Lawrence still annoys me.

Hathaway was derided as too serious, so eager to please, too ambitious. She was even called "the most hated woman in Hollywood" and had articles written about all the ways she reminded people of the high achievers at school who made them feel inadequate. She even took the brunt of the blame for the Oscars presenting fiasco, when James Franco was far more at fault and, we've learned since, was lazy and disengaged from the process while Hathaway took it very seriously and was prepared to put time in to develop bits and rehearse.

Meanwhile Lawrence was adored for supposedly not caring, being laidback and falling over at a couple of awards ceremonies. 'She's so cool, she talks about drinking and farting and doesn't act like she's better than me!'

The fact that a lot of the anti-Hathaway stuff came from other women was especially tiresome, as it reflected a sort of internalised misogyny about ambitious women who overstep their bounds and try to succeed on their own terms.

Now I have read that Jennifer Lawerence is a hard worker (or at least reviews her performances to improve on them) and there came a point when the media turned on her too because she was doing too well. I don't blame her from taking a step back from the publicity. (Don't get me started that time someone hacked her cloud account and released her photos.) 

But I thought Anne Hathaway did fine trying to host the Oscars. It was an experiment that didn't pan out. Occasionally, it happens. I do appreciate her trying to take it on. 

• Love 7

I think it's all Weinstein backed.  Weinstein backed Lawrence and there was like a 3 year period where there was an article in the media every day about what a great amazing wonderful person/actor J-Law is "You want to be her best friend!"  "She's so normal!"  "She spoke to a kid!"  "She eats everything!"   "She fell down!"  Hathaway was not backed by the Weinsteins so no such media push.

I went to go look it up and Silver Linings Playbook was a Weinstein movie and Les Miserables was not, so yeah, that's what I think happened.

Now that Weinstein is gone we don't have to read those articles about J-Law anymore.  I don't expect this opinion to be popular but hey, this is the UO thread, so!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

But I thought Anne Hathaway did fine trying to host the Oscars. It was an experiment that didn't pan out. Occasionally, it happens. I do appreciate her trying to take it on. 

I've always felt her earnestness would pair well with someone who makes it look effortless, like Hugh Jackman.  I think they'd have good on stage chemistry.

But the operative word is making it seem effortless.  Those who do it well, like Jackman, do make an effort. 

That's where the Oscars had it wrong.  They paired her with someone who didn't make an effort at all.  That kind of "effortless" does not come off well. It made him look bad.  And it made her look desperate to save it all.  I've always felt bad for her.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9

Anne Hathaway did annoy me at that time. I really enjoy and respect her now but back then I remember her earnestness and raw ambition just reminded me of that annoying pick me, I know the answer kid at the top of the class. 

I don’t think she deserved the abuse she got at the Oscar’s hosting snafu as James Franco checking out was incredibly unprofessional and there was just so much wrong with that whole year. Hugh Jackman I really enjoyed as an Oscar host - maybe it’s his years on broadway but he had a presence that neither James, Anne or any actors trying to host have had. Anne had a bit part with him the year he hosted that was enough. It showcased her abilities in front of hollywoods bigwigs and she wasn’t on stage long enough for the audience to turn on her. 

But I do think sometimes actors (like people) are sometimes just annoying and she definetly fell into that category at the time. 

Same with Jennifer Lawrence only she at least wasn’t offering to host award ceremonies (probably because she was getting offered the type of roles from a young age that I believe Hathaway had to work for early in her career). But yeah her shtick got old fast too. Remember the ridiculous fake friendship between her and Amy Schumer that they clearly wanted to get a film out of?

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 1
On 12/29/2021 at 9:00 PM, Crs97 said:

Another UO is that I tend to believe most people when they say they had no idea about a co-worker/friend being a sexual predator.  For instance, I have no doubt Harvey Weinstein treated Dame Judi Dench very differently than he did an ingenue, and I don’t think she should be cancelled for thanking him at a awards ceremony before his crimes were made public.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:36 PM, Bastet said:

I generally do, too.  I only have a problem if they speak as if the fact he wasn't like that to/in front of them is evidence the victim is lying about what he did to her.  We grasp the fact murderers don't kill everyone they know, I don't understand why it's so difficult to understand that harassers, abusers, and rapists don't harass, abuse, and rape everyone they know

ITA with all this. But it’s kind of understandable that “they were never that way with me” would be their initial reaction. We all have our blind spots. Ask yourself how you’d react if it were someone you considered a friend or a loved one. Unless there’s mountains of evidence that can’t be ignored, wouldn’t you initially want to give them the benefit of the doubt? 

• Love 8

I like awards season for its glamour and the pretty dresses etc, but overall it has accumulated a very sketchy record of awarding and recognizing the best/most influential work throughout the years. Mega blind spots when it comes to genre movies, blind spots when it comes to any kind of acting performance that isn't in the "look Ma, no hands!!!" vein. And the endless consolation prizes they give out for inferior work because they missed out an the actual worthy pieces.

Also, they are violently in love with middle-brow prestige work while not knowing what to do with cutting edge innovative material. Oh, and stuff about artsy types and people in showbiz and how super special they are. So yeah, I take a look at the nominees and winners, but mostly it says nothing about nothing and is no reflection whatsoever on what will stand the test of time.

In addition, while I don't begrudge people who are campaigning, I do sideeye the awards bodies who expect artists to pander to them and wine and dine them for their votes. Which also makes the prizes basically worthless, since those who either don't have the budget or the willingness to do campaigns have no chance to start with.

Edited by katha
  • Love 3
On 12/31/2021 at 2:47 AM, Irlandesa said:

I've always felt her earnestness would pair well with someone who makes it look effortless, like Hugh Jackman.  I think they'd have good on stage chemistry.

Case in point:  Julie Andrews in The Princess Diaries.  That movie could have ended up on the level of a Disney Channel Original Movie, but it doesn't because they're both so good together.

They do a commentary track together for the DVD, and genuinely seem to enjoy the experience.  And one of the reasons that I like Anne, in one particular scene, she's able to name every actor onscreen, even the minor ones.  Meaning she cared enough to learn them and remember them.  Julie even compliments her for it.

Also, they are violently in love with middle-brow prestige work while not knowing what to do with cutting edge innovative material. Oh, and stuff about artsy types and people in showbiz and how super special they are

I mean, Hollywood doesn't love anything as much as they love a story about Hollywood.

That being said, at the Oscars the last five years or so, with the glaring exception of Green Book, they've gone for the more interesting story:  Shape of WaterParasiteNomadland, and Moonlight. Nothing impressed me more than them picking the latter over such obvious fare as La La Land.

I don't know if this is a UO, but speaking of the entertainment press being the worst, nothing pissed me off more than that particular win wasn't presented as "Black Queer Film Triumphs!" it was "White Director Gracious In Defeat!"

• Love 9
On 12/31/2021 at 5:05 AM, Avabelle said:

Remember the ridiculous fake friendship between her and Amy Schumer that they clearly wanted to get a film out of?

For what it's worth they do seem to be actual friends. They attended each others weddings and Amy's posted pictures on IG of them spending time together on occasion over the years. The media did go a bit nuts when they first became friends given where they both were in their careers which was annoying but that's a separate thing.

I'm also not bothered by actors who actively say they want to win awards. I'd rather they be honest than pretend they're above it all and that it doesn't matter when they all know that a nomination alone can help advance careers. 

• Love 10
On 12/31/2021 at 8:54 AM, katha said:

I like awards season for its glamour and the pretty dresses etc, but overall it has accumulated a very sketchy record of awarding and recognizing the best/most influential work throughout the years. Mega blind spots when it comes to genre movies, blind spots when it comes to any kind of acting performance that isn't in the "look Ma, no hands!!!" vein. And the endless consolation prizes they give out for inferior work because they missed out an the actual worthy pieces.

Also, they are violently in love with middle-brow prestige work while not knowing what to do with cutting edge innovative material. Oh, and stuff about artsy types and people in showbiz and how super special they are. So yeah, I take a look at the nominees and winners, but mostly it says nothing about nothing and is no reflection whatsoever on what will stand the test of time.

In addition, while I don't begrudge people who are campaigning, I do sideeye the awards bodies who expect artists to pander to them and wine and dine them for their votes. Which also makes the prizes basically worthless, since those who either don't have the budget or the willingness to do campaigns have no chance to start with.

I totally agree that one of the biggest problems with awards like the Oscars is they tend to ignore anything "genre", that's not drama (or musical, or biopic, or musical biopic, etc.).  Horror, romantic comedy, comedy, thriller, science fiction, etc. these all tend to get largely ignored.  That's the most frustrating thing.  It's not a meritocracy.  

I think that there are people who really do believe that these awards are based on merit.  I saw a tweet that is frustrated with people who want certain popular movies to be nominated for Best Picture because the popularity of the movie shouldn't matter.  That's conflating the issue, to me.   Sometimes the more popular movies really do have merit.  Personally I believe that Titanic and Black Panther should definitely have been nominated for Best Picture, just as examples (and yes, I know they were).  Not because they're popular but because I believe they deserved the nominations based on real qualities that the movies had.  The issue is that so often genre pictures get ignored no matter how good they are.  I can't get over "Us" being ignored in 2020 and Lupita Nyong'o's performance being ignored as well.  What could possibly explain that aside from a disdain for genre movies, mixed with racism (I.e. Lupita is not playing a slave this time).  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
(edited)

I totally agree about the genre thing and the awards shows.  Here's another thing about them that bother me:  "That movie/actor wasn't nominated because it was too much like last years nominee/winner".  WTF?  Yes, everyone, I'm still on this train--sorry--but, I did hear multiple people say that Taron Egorton and Rocketman were pushed aside mainly because of how well Rami Malik and Bohemian Rhapsody did just a year before.   Really?!  I just can't with that logic (which, imo, isn't logical at all). 

And yet, I still watch them because I love movies and I love the glamour and occasionally someone/some movie that I really like wins.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

I think Meryl Streep has felt the same way about her Oscar win for French Lieutenant’s Woman

She didn't win for that one.  Hers are for Kramer vs KramerSophie's Choice, and The Iron Lady.

Probably not a UO, but she had absolutely no business winning the latter.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I totally agree that one of the biggest problems with awards like the Oscars is they tend to ignore anything "genre", that's not drama (or musical, or biopic, or musical biopic, etc.).  Horror, romantic comedy, comedy, thriller, science fiction, etc. these all tend to get largely ignored.  That's the most frustrating thing.  It's not a meritocracy.  

That rumor that Marissa Tomei's win for My Cousin Vinny was an error on Jack Palance's part is such elitist bullshit.  Not to mention it's just straight up rude to Ms. Tomei.  And even if they didn't buy into the rumor, there are still people who believed it was an underwhelming win solely because it was a comedic performance up against a gaggle of "serious" performances.  (coughWatchMojocough).  Now, I don't think it's necessarily the academy's job to be able to see 10, 20, 25* years into the future.  We have the luxury of looking back on these things with perspective and the voters' decisions are very time and place.  Having said that, this is a win that has aged phenomenally.  My family and I were just talking about My Cousin Vinny and Mona Lisa Vito over Christmas dinner.  I don't know anyone who still talks about Howards End or Damage.      

All that said, I don't know if there is a way to ever turn something like this into a true meritocracy.  I mean, how do you define "best" when assessing art?  Even adjusting for things like studios with deep pockets and/or blatant racism, sexism, etc., every single voter, as well intentioned as he may be, is going to have some sort of internal bias.  Using myself as an example, I don't like mafia movies.  There just aren't for me.  If I was a voter, a mafia movie would have to be Godfather level special for me to consider it as "best."  That wouldn't be an excuse to throw my hands up and not give it a fair chance, but at the end of the day, I gravitate towards what I gravitate towards.  Even my criteria year after year might not be the most consistent.  One year there might a be a movie that just blows me away or that I completely connect with.  The next year I might be more impressed with a movie that is technically good without it necessarily being my favorite of the crop.  I just don't know how one controls for that.

*I just realized My Cousin Vinny is turning 30 this year.  Excuse me while I take some ibuprofen for my back. 

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4

Of course everyone has a bias, I agree with that.  That's just fact.  I don't know how they get around it, but only respecting 2-3 genres out of at least a dozen is definitely a big block to progress.

8 minutes ago, kiddo82 said:

My family and I were just talking about My Cousin Vinny and Mona Lisa Vito over Christmas dinner.  I don't know anyone who still talks about Howards End or Damage.      

I agree with you on this.  MCV is one of my favourite movies.  What I don't agree with is Joe Pesci not getting many acting accolades that were just as deserved.  He was great throughout the 90s but only received a nomination and win for Goodfellas in that decade.  That's crazy to me.  Why did Marisa get accolades but not Joe?  She was the sexy young ingenue I guess.  I thought that Joe was great in MCV.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Of course everyone has a bias, I agree with that.  That's just fact.  I don't know how they get around with it, but only respecting 2-3 genres out of at least a dozen is definitely a big block to progress.

Oh I definitely agree with you.  I think the biggest barrier right now is just getting the Lupita Nyong'o in Us performances or the Andy Serkis mocap performances on the ballot.  Getting the nominations committees to recognize that those are just as deserving as the "corset drama" performances.  

Even someone like Alicia Vikander, who actually won in the right category in the right year for me, was nominated for the wrong movie.  If she had gotten nominated for Ex Machina, for which she totally deserved a win and I believe was the superior performance between that and The Danish Girl, I don't think she wins because the Academy wouldn't go for a performance from an Ex Machina type movie.    

I think we are seeing some progress in the screenplay categories.  Personal favorites like Her, Get Out, BlacKkKlansman (adapted), Jojo Rabbit (adapted), and Promising Young Woman have been breaking though with wins in the past decade.  These aren't your old school academy type films.   For whatever reason, this seems to be the category where voters are more willing to go with the more ambitious/less conventional options than in other categories.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Useful 2

This is not meant as shade.

I hate (specifically Western) award shows mainly for the after gripe of someone being robbed, especially from people who have not seen everything nominated in the category they claim is stolen. This is not to say that some of the subjectiveness of the winners is not touched by unfairness, high-art snobbiness, biases, and western cultural views of what is entertaining. And I am sure some truly bad performances/productions (which cannot be denied even if you didn't see all the nominations) walked away with the prize.  I recognize all of that, but sometimes I just think people can't see anything other than their favorite winning.

This year, I really want Garfield and LMM to win and for Holland and Spiderman: No Way Home to be nominated. If it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed. I can see a superhero movie and lead actor having a bias against it as possibly being the reason for the two latter mentioned not happening. I just think that sometimes it is innocently subjective. 

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

This year, I really want Garfield and LMM to win and for Holland and Spiderman: No Way Home to be nominated. If it doesn't happen, I will be disappointed. I can see a superhero movie and lead actor having a bias against it as possibly being the reason for the two latter mentioned not happening. I just think that sometimes it is innocently subjective. 

I agree about Andrew Garfield and LLM and thought I was the only one who thought that Tom Holland, as well as Spiderman: No Way Home, desers a nomination.  I have a small amount of hope for at least the movie itself since Black Panther was nominated.  

• Love 5
On 1/2/2022 at 5:00 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Of course everyone has a bias, I agree with that.  That's just fact.  I don't know how they get around it, but only respecting 2-3 genres out of at least a dozen is definitely a big block to progress.

I agree with you on this.  MCV is one of my favourite movies.  What I don't agree with is Joe Pesci not getting many acting accolades that were just as deserved.  He was great throughout the 90s but only received a nomination and win for Goodfellas in that decade.  That's crazy to me.  Why did Marisa get accolades but not Joe?  She was the sexy young ingenue I guess.  I thought that Joe was great in MCV.

I love that movie. Joe and Marisa were amazing in that movie. 

• Love 4

My Cousin Vinny is one of those movies that husband and I quote at random.  If we catch a glimpse while hanging channels, we stop and watch.  It’s a great movie, and Marisa earned that Oscar.

• Love 11

My Cousin Vinny showed up on the main page of HBO Max the other day and you bet your ass I immediately watched that shit. Brilliant movie and one of the reasons it holds up so well is because of the level of accuracy with regard to the law. Bestie 1's dad is a lawyer and LOVES MCV because of how they saw/used the humor in his profession.

Which leads me to my (depending on who I talk to) unpopular opinion: I WANT writers to strive to be realistic with regard to careers in movies. My Cousin Vinny is not 100% accurate but the screenwriter saw how existing procedure and rules could be used for humor rather than just making shit up like most legal shows and movies. The scene in the trial when Vinny takes the one witness through multiple pictures of the dirty windows, dirty screen, leafy trees, and leafy bushes is hilarious and something you'd see in a real trial rather than the usual method of having one picture submitted for evidence and then the lawyer or witness just giving a speech after presenting it. 

This can also be used for dramatic effect as well as you can take the same scene, place it in a drama, and build to the witness realization that he may not have seen what he thought after going through the visual obstacles and giving the jury reasonable doubt.

Also the way Lisa explained disclosure to the audience via calling Vinny a dickhead remains hilarious and I want everyone to follow that example.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I WANT writers to strive to be realistic with regard to careers in movies.

I agree to a certain extent.  There would be a point where it gets so boring that nobody would watch. I sometimes watch CSI: MIami (admittedly mostly for laughs), and while I don't know this for a fact, I don't think the same people that collect and analyze the evidence also do all the interviews and chase down the suspects with guns.  I'm almost surprised they don't patrol and discover the crime scenes themselves also.

• Love 2
On 1/1/2022 at 7:11 AM, starri said:

mean, Hollywood doesn't love anything as much as they love a story about Hollywood.

The only thing that come close how much awards academies love WWII/the Holocaust. If a movie was ever made about Hollywood's relationship with Nazi Germany it would clean up at the awards.

On 12/30/2021 at 2:29 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think it's all Weinstein backed.  Weinstein backed Lawrence and there was like a 3 year period where there was an article in the media every day about what a great amazing wonderful person/actor J-Law is "You want to be her best friend!"  "She's so normal!"  "She spoke to a kid!"  "She eats everything!"   "She fell down!"  Hathaway was not backed by the Weinsteins so no such media push.

Was it during that push where it was revealed that Lawrence dropped out of middle school to be an actor. Because my UO is that that reveal kind of ruined any interest I might have in her as an actor. Because even though she is a good actor I always wonder stuff like if she can do multi-digit division, or if she understands fractions or the different states of matter and how they change.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My Cousin Vinny is not 100% accurate but the screenwriter saw how existing procedure and rules could be used for humor rather than just making shit up like most legal shows and movies. The scene in the trial when Vinny takes the one witness through multiple pictures of the dirty windows, dirty screen, leafy trees, and leafy bushes is hilarious and something you'd see in a real trial rather than the usual method of having one picture submitted for evidence and then the lawyer or witness just giving a speech after presenting it. 

MCV often makes the American Bar Association's list of best movies about lawyers.  They usually make the point that Vinny may be absolutely terrible at the things they teach you in law school, but utterly kicks ass at the things they don't.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

My Cousin Vinny showed up on the main page of HBO Max the other day and you bet your ass I immediately watched that shit. Brilliant movie and one of the reasons it holds up so well is because of the level of accuracy with regard to the law. Bestie 1's dad is a lawyer and LOVES MCV because of how they saw/used the humor in his profession.

I've not only heard that professors have shown the movie to their law students, but one day, in a community college course I was taking, I heard it through the walls from class next door (I don't remember what the class was, just that it had something to do with the law).  It was really hard to concentrate once I could tell what the movie was. 

• Love 3
On 5/31/2021 at 12:06 PM, Shannon L. said:

Amen.  I couldn't finish Raising Arizona, it took all I had to not walk out of Fargo (except I did like Frances McDormand's character), the first part of Oh Brother, Where Art Thou was ok, but it the schtick old after a while and never finished it, Burn After Reading and True Grit were ok, and the only reason I didn't turn off Hail, Caesar is because I was watching it with a friend who was interested in seeing it to the end.  I've never bothered trying any more of their movies.

Another UO:  Back when The Matrix came out, I really wasn't into that genre at all, so I fell asleep during it.  Over the years, I've come around a little and now like a lot of movies in that genre, so I tried again--still couldn't get through the whole movie.

I like most Coen brothers movies, but I agree on Raising Arizona.  My UO is that my favorites are not crowd favorites. I love Hail Caesar! and A Serious Man. You can keep your cult film Big Lebowski, although I love Jeff Bridges in general. 

• Love 3
On 5/31/2021 at 12:17 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

of my nemesis, Nicholas Cage. I know a lot of people just love him, be it ironically or sincerely, but I find him untalented and repellant. 

I love Nicolas Cage in Valley Girl. I love Valley Girl. What happened to that Nic Cage?  

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 7/2/2021 at 9:00 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I loved the ending to A Quiet Place, because it's one of those endings made all the stronger and more exciting because you don't see it all play out, so the existence of a sequel kind of cheapens it for me. Maybe my love for closure and finality is just a character flaw of mine.

With maybe, oh, 2 or 3 exceptions, I hate sports movies. Yup, I just hate 'em. I hate sports in general, so watching movies about them holds no appeal for me. A League of Their Own? The Bad News Bears? Rudy? I either don't like them or I just do not give a crap.

Yes but Breaking Away is a top ten for me. One of the greatest. Maybe because it’s not really a sports movie. One of my recent regrets is that the pandemic has kept us from going to Bloomington for the Little 500. We have some friends who moved there and we were all set to go in May 2020. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2021 at 1:10 PM, Spartan Girl said:

My UO: As much as I love Daniel Day-Lewis and think his Lincoln Oscar was earned, part of me wishes that Hugh Jackman won for Les Miserables that year. 

UO here:  I couldn’t get through ten minutes of Lincoln.

• Love 3
On 8/11/2021 at 5:55 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Another Classic Hollywood UO:

For the most part, I don't find Jean Arthur all that magical and wonderful... except in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. She's actually my favorite part of that otherwise manipulative, overly-simplistic, remarkably cynical slice of "Capra-corn". Does anyone else find Jefferson Smith's wide-eyed idealist schtick completely phony? I agree with Danny Peary that Mr. Smith has the makings of a demagogue. 

I do love Jean in The Devil and Miss Jones. The one that’s not the porn movie.  The one that’s like Undercover Boss with Charles Coburn. 

On 8/12/2021 at 7:48 AM, andromeda331 said:

The sinking gets me every time. I don't care about what happened to Jack or Rose. But all those people on the boat unable to get off. The Strausses and other couples where the wife decided to stay and die with her husband. And the band members. Playing while its all happening then when they are released all leave except for one who stays and continues to play. The other band members come back and start playing with him. They didn't have to come back but they did..

Too scary for me. Same for Poseidon Adventure. I have an irrational fear of the water that way and can’t stand either movie. 

• Love 2
On 8/11/2021 at 7:30 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Same. I appreciate what ol' Frank was trying to do, but he did it in such a calculated, ham-fisted way that it just does not go down easily. His "little guy" characters also come off to me as either unbearable martyrs or anti-intellectual jerks. I personally consider it a writing fail if I'm rooting for the villain.

Oh, and given the choice, I'd rather live in Pottersville than Bedford Falls.

I think Frank Capra was at his best when he wasn't being FRANK CAPRA, y'know? I love It Happened One Night, and Platinum Blonde and Arsenic and Old Lace are delightful. 

So you were gearing up for that anti It’s a Wonderful Life thread months ago LOL!  

1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

So you were gearing up for that anti It’s a Wonderful Life thread months ago LOL!  

LOL! In seriousness, I wasn't out to make an anti-It's a Wonderful Life thread per se, just a general one. I do get why it's beloved... it's just not beloved by yours truly.

More UOs of mine:

I prefer Toy Story 4 to Toy Story 3. I don't know whether it's because of the theme new beginnings, or the presence of Key and Peele, or the triumphant return of Bo Peep, but it works for me in spite of any flaws.

In spite of how miscast she is, I still really love Natalie Wood's portrayal of Maria in 1961's West Side Story. I also don't hate Richard Beymer as Tony. Maybe I should, but I don't.

And now, a UO only fans of really old, niche musicals will care about:

I like Alice Faye, but only when she's in snarky, no-fucks-to-give mode, not the mopey ingenue 20th Century Fox insisted on typecasting her as. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I prefer Toy Story 4 to Toy Story 3. I don't know whether it's because of the theme new beginnings, or the presence of Key and Peele, or the triumphant return of Bo Peep, but it works for me in spite of any flaws

I love both equally, but I don’t feel that Toy Story 4 ruined the previous movie’s bittersweet ending, like others claim. I like that Woody went with Bo and decided to be a lost toy helping out other toys find a home. It was fitting for his character.

2 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

In spite of how miscast she is, I still really love Natalie Wood's portrayal of Maria in 1961's West Side Story. I also don't hate Richard Beymer as Tony. Maybe I should, but I don't.

Acting-wise, she was fantastic. And if I have to hate her just because she wasn’t the right ethnicity, then I’d have to hate Yul Brynner in The King and I, which in my heart of hearts, I can never do.

Thst being said, I loved Rachel Zegler in the remake. She was just perfect. But I’d take Richard Beymer over Elgort any day.

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I don't like children's movies. I'm an adult. I'm not interested in seeing movies about talking toys, or animated princesses, or spunky kids, and it creeps me out when adults are super into those kinds of films. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
ugh, forgot the word like
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

My unpopular opinion is that I don't children's movies. I'm an adult. I'm not interested in seeing movies about talking toys, or animated princesses, or spunky kids, and it creeps me out when adults are super into those kinds of films. 

Me neither.  If a kid asks me to watch a movie, of course I'll gladly watch.  I might even enjoy some of them.  But, I don't seek them out.  Exceptions are Christmas classics from when I was a kid.  They are grandfathered into my brain as acceptable viewing:)

• Love 3
On 1/6/2022 at 5:33 AM, EtheltoTillie said:

I like most Coen brothers movies, but I agree on Raising Arizona.  My UO is that my favorites are not crowd favorites. I love Hail Caesar! and A Serious Man. You can keep your cult film Big Lebowski, although I love Jeff Bridges in general. 

I saw Hail Caesar for the first time this past summer and I really enjoyed it.  I understand why it's not the most beloved Coen film, (The plot really doesn't matter although I'd argue the same could be said for Lebowski) but it's a playground for charming talented people and it's so fun to watch the performances.  As a cohesive movie it's not my favorite but I'm hard pressed to find an individual scene that isn't enjoyable.  

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Red Notice was a fun movie, I don’t care if it was dumb. Just because a movie’s plot is silly doesn’t automatically make it bad.

Hell, Vertigo has one of the silliest plots ever, and I still love it!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Red Notice was a fun movie, I don’t care if it was dumb. Just because a movie’s plot is silly doesn’t automatically make it bad.

One of my favorite films - to the point I can recite it verbatim - is Clue.  In which a bunch of board game characters try to figure out which one of them is the murderer.  So, clearly I agree: Silly is not automatically bad.  (And Clue isn't dumb; it has intelligent humor and some delicious social commentary.)

And I'll even like an objectively bad movie if it makes me laugh.  I mean, I own Rhinestone (that Dolly Parton-Sylvester Stallone classic that garnered him his first of many Razzie nods) on DVD.

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
14 minutes ago, Bastet said:

One of my favorite films - to the point I can recite it verbatim - is Clue.  In which a bunch of board game characters try to figure out which one of them is the murderer. 

Clue his hands down my favorite movie because it is a movie I can watch over and over and still crack up, even as I'm saying the lines along with the characters. Have you ever seen The Cheap Detective or Murder By Death? They are very similar in tone and style and amazing ensemble casts. They are far from "prestige" movies but they are fun as hell. 

I love a "bad" movie if it is fun.

I didn't make it through Red Notice despite loving the cast. I'm not sure why it just didn't work for me. I usually like a good "caper". It should have worked for me. I might give it another try when I'm in a different mindset. What I like and dislike can change day by day. lol

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Bastet said:

One of my favorite films - to the point I can recite it verbatim - is Clue.  In which a bunch of board game characters try to figure out which one of them is the murderer.  So, clearly I agree: Silly is not automatically bad.  (And Clue isn't dumb; it has intelligent humor and some delicious social commentary.)

And I'll even like an objectively bad movie if it makes me laugh.  I mean, I own Rhinestone (that Dolly Parton-Sylvester Stallone classic that garnered him his first of many Razzie nods) on DVD.

"I'm lying in the mud, looking at a duck."

"Have you ever had a bad case of jock itch?"

"I have different plans for my biscuits and they involve butter!"

"If I'm going down, I'm going down my way."

Rhinestone? Never heard of it  ;)

I love Clue, too, and enjoyed the hell out of Red Notice. And, as far as I'm concerned (I think I said the a couple of pages ago), Ryan Reynolds can continue playing the same comedic role forever because it works for him and it makes me laugh, no matter what the movie is rated.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Have you ever seen The Cheap Detective or Murder By Death?

I love Murder By Death (and think that's one of the greatest titles ever).  The Cheap Detective I found fun enough, but I don't have the same enduring affection for that one (and have never re-watched it).

10 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Rhinestone? Never heard of it  ;)

If I see anyone drinking Budweiser, I start singing "Drinkenstein" in my head.

• Love 4

The best thing about Rhinestone is the How Did This Get Made about it, where, while acknowledging the movie is terrible, they fall all over themselves saying that Dolly Parton was still absolutely wonderful.

• Love 2

My favorite Dolly Parton movie, after 9 to 5 is The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. That movie is absolutely terrible but I love it. The only trouble is, as a kid watching it I thought I'd like to be a whore when I grow up. Luckily I got over that. lol

• Love 5