Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E14: Amazing Grace

• Start Topic

It’s only his first mission as a Legend but, already, Wally’s having more fun than he ever did on Team Flash. And I am here for it. 

I don’t care enough to look it up and see if it’s real but I loved that Elvis bought Robert Johnson’s guitar. The myth of that guitar combined with the King? Everything. 

Speaking of Elvis: Nate, I agree with you on the awesome of the man and the music but you were being annoying as fuck about it. Amaya’s skepticism tempered it somewhat but not enough. 

And how has Amaya never heard rock until now? Nate’s such a fan and never bothered to play some for her? 

Ray had a funeral for a rat. And convinced Mick and Sara to attend. And participate. I’m not at all surprised.

Mick’s face at Ghost Axl was hilarious.

Gideon needs to give them a second bathroom.

Dedicating the episode to Axl was perfect. 

• Love 10

That actor looked nothing like Elivs. But I have to say Elvis was surprisingly calm around the supernatural. Also is that only town that didn't care about race? Amaya, Wally and Zari should've not been able to walk around like that. All they did was get some looks at the church in the beginning then no one cared. 

Ray actually got Sara and Mick to attend a funeral for a rat. Poor Mick, he lost another friend. 

Nate of course was annoying about music. I like that they are showing Wally that he doesn't always have to save the day by running really fast. Sometimes you can talk to people. Barry would never teach him that lesson. 

Next week is what I was looking forward too.

Spoiler

The death totem calling to Sara. I just wonder why it turns her into that when it didn't do that to Elvis. 

• Love 5

What did you do tonight? "Well, I teared up about a ghost rat who was raised from the grave by Elvis's haunted guitar." 

Seriously though, it truly is amazing how this show can actually make these crazy ass ideas not only work, but work out really well. The guy who played Elvis was really good, he seemed appropriately Elvis like, without coming off like a parody, which is easy to do. 

I hope the reference to the guitar being Robert Johnson's made me hope we get a Robert Johnson episode. So much creepy possibly supernatural mystery to explore there. Elvis was actually a pretty good totem holder, he seemed to be pretty chill about the supernatural being everywhere. I guess in this world when you grow up with your ghost brother hanging with you, this is only mildly odd. 

Nate was kinda annoying about his music love, but I did think he and Amaya had some nice moments. The ending at the church was actually pretty feels inducing. I am pretty sure that Nate is going to end up being grandpa, and we find out that he died before Amaya did after going to the past with her. 

Speaking of weird feels, RIP poor Axle the Rat. Truly, he was the best of us. I dont know whats better, that Ray through a rat funeral, or that he got Sara and Mick (probably the least likely cast members to engage in such Ray-ness) to participate. I think he realized that Mick needed this, even if it was a bit silly. They all been through a lot lately. 

Wally is clearly having a blast here, and I enjoyed the call back to his relationship with Joe. He and Zari are a fun team. Also, I really loved the performance by Maise when Elvis was talking about his guitar and his connection with his dead brother. Her face lit up, then grew very soft, like she was thinking "I had doubts, but this guy is totally one of us. He actually gets it."

• Love 9

CW: This week on Legends of Tomorrow: The team and Elvis Presley save Memphis and rock 'n' roll! Also, Mick's pet rat dies, and Ray has a funeral for him.

Me: At this point, why not? Naturally, I know Damien will swoop in, kick the Legends in their respective crotches-

CW: Nope. Daddy & Daughter Dark get the week off.

Me: Just as well. I can see them near the church. Damien holding Nora back, all, "No, no. We'll let them have this one."

Of course the sixth totem is Death. Of course it's embedded in a guitar ("ghee-tar"?) that a young Elvis picked up. And, of course, it was able to raise the dead, including the soon-to-be King's deceased twin. Just a perfect balance of high stakes, poignancy and humor. Also, a funeral for Axl, complete with a brief tribute. And, naturally, his ghost ran roughshod in the Waverider, was brought to peace, and said goodbye to Mick. Yes, I half-expected the uncle to see Nate and Amaya kissing and scream, "SATAN!! THAT'S THE REAL SATAN!!!!" But it all worked out, and there wasn't much to cringe about. And Wally annoys Zari, but manages to learn a few lessons.

Anybody up for a follow-up episode with Elvis? I mean, if we've had Youngish Martin Stein and Jonah Hex . . .

ETA: Was anybody else half-expecting the uncle to hiss "The wrong kid died!!!" at Elvis? Please don't let me be the only one.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Loved the epu.. Lived how involved wally has been.. So much better than on the flash... Loved the rat funeral... Even liked Elvis... But come on y'all 1950 in Memphis two black folks and an Arab lady who's a practicing Muslim... An interracial tongue kiss in a church??.. And all they got was an eyeroll... That's one of those (problems)  with having a racially diverse cast in a time travel show... There really isn't a part of the last 500 years or so where it wasn't some kind of issue and imbsure week after week the audience wouldn't want to see it.. But in reality wally zari amaya and jax woulda been dealing with some idiot all the time... 

• Love 3

This epsiode was the hardest to take seriously. Elvis didn't write his own songs, he just performed the bought songs of aspiring black musicians.  The actor who played him used to be on Degrassi which made made the impression even harder to take.

Zari's 180 was annoying since she used to be just like Wally. Wally was right to just speed to the radio station and put the record on instead of trying to plead with the uncle as if her speech would magically change a his views.

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

There really isn't a part of the last 500 years or so where it wasn't some kind of issue and imbsure week after week the audience wouldn't want to see it.. But in reality wally zari amaya and jax woulda been dealing with some idiot all the time... 

No, that wasn't at all realistic on this show about time travel, superheroes and magic.  Fuck it.  I'm fine if the show dispenses with some of the realism of its minority characters getting treated like shit.

• Love 5

Well, of course, one of the totems is actually hiding in Robert Johnson's guitar, which happens to get bought by none other then Elvis Presley!  Which leads to him unleashing ghosts all over Memphis.  Yep, just an average day in the life of the Legends!  Can't wait till we find out that the only way to defeat Mollus involves The Beatles somehow.

Seriously, how is that in about, what, two or three episodes, Wally has already become way more fun and awesome then he ever was on The Flash?  I was loving his puppy dog-like enthusiasm and belief that he can just use his speed skills to solve everything from Ray's chore wheel to fixing time anomalies.  Pairing him up with Zari was equally a great idea too.  I like that she's actually the second newest member of the Legends, but she pretty much had to assume an older sister-like relationship with him.  Good times!

Meanwhile, Mick's rat, Axl dies, so there is naturally a very heartfelt funeral for him involving Ray giving a eulogy, Sara drinking, and Mick trying not to cry.  Aww, all of Mick's friends keep leaving him!

Best throwaway moment was Ray's "Mick, don't panic, you just forgot to chew again!" line when Mick was choking on that sandwich.  I love that this a) has apparently happened before at least once and b) how truly concerned Ray was about it.  He really is the heart of team, no matter how much the others mock him (granted, that's usually out of affection.)

Looks like next week

Spoiler

is going to be a rough time for a whole lot of people!

• Love 8

I enjoyed the episode. Yes, this Elvis looks nothing like the real Elvis, but the actor did a good job with the personality and mannerisms of Elvis. I did enjoy the reveal that the last totem was in Elvis' guitar from Robert Johnson. I've always enjoyed Elvis, so this raised the episode for me.

Wally was great. I'm glad he's actually being used here, unlike on The Flash, when he was either whiny about powers or sidelined because he couldn't be better than the great Barry Allen. Plus, he's changing time safely. That should be a story to one-up Barry. Him working with the next newest member was smart. I love that Zari taught him that no, he doesn't need to use his powers all the time. He needs to be communicating and talking too.

Eh, this is one of my least favourite versions of Nate. Now I can add music-obsessed Nate, which makes him extremely annoying. Gawd, he needed to shut up about ten minutes in. That being said, Nate and Amaya had some nice moments, so it wasn't all bad. 

Poor Axl the rat. I'm glad Mick got a proper funeral for him. Also, I am in love with Ray. His support for people knows no bounds. Mick actually crying at the funeral was so unexpected and worked really well.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I hope the reference to the guitar being Robert Johnson's made me hope we get a Robert Johnson episode. So much creepy possibly supernatural mystery to explore there

Yes, a Robert Johnson episode would be awesome.  We did get a Robert Johnson song at the beginning (I think it was Crossroad Blues).

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Yes, a Robert Johnson episode would be awesome.  We did get a Robert Johnson song at the beginning (I think it was Crossroad Blues).

Timeless actually HAS a Robert Johnson episode coming up within the next month or so.

• Love 2

A fun episode, but not great, mostly because of the aforementioned Nate-overload. I enjoyed him for a few episodes where he got to be friendly and bond with Zari and Mick, but he and Amaya are just a black hole of chemistry to me. I swear they suck all of the fun and momentum out of the show when they get so nauseatingly schmoopy with each other. Enough already, please! And know it all, mansplainey Nate is by far my least favorite Nate. Ugh.

Beyond that, Wally was a blast. I loved that he got to have his hero moment both with and without his speed powers. And we finally got to see the chore wheel we’ve heard so much about! It does seem needlessly complicated. I think Zari has the right idea about faking ignorance. I got a kick out of Wally speeding through all of the cleaning and moving duties, and the others getting irritated by it.

I have to confess, poor Axl’s death got me in the feels. Made me think of my kitty who passed away a couple of years ago. And I may have teared up during Mick’s final goodbye with his ghost at the end. But I loved that Ray held a funeral for a pet rat because of course Ray would hold a funeral for a pet rat and make the others feel obligated to attend. And I really, really liked that it was Ray, Sara, and Mick there - the only original members left of the Waverider. Poor Mick, losing so many friends this year (even though he’d never call them that). Sniff. RIP Axl.

Next week looks like a good one!

Edited by Maelstrom
Autocorrect is evil
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Timeless actually HAS a Robert Johnson episode coming up within the next month or so.

Squeeeeeee! But I bet he wont have actually have sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads and would have to save his soul by defeating the devil in an epic fiddle off to Devil Went Down to Georgia like he would on this show! But I wont complain! Thank god Timeless was saved from cancellation! 

• Love 4

Hmmm.  Well that's a solid "meh" from me.  Some good parts, but way too much Nate, and I really couldn't care less about Elvis, so that did nothing for me.

But one thing did get my attention.  Amaya's comment to Nate about "good thing we've got time."  Is that foreshadowing I hear?  Maybe Nate dies this season, and Amaya goes back to Zambezi pregnant?

• Love 4

They could have made the entire episode on the Axl storyline, IMO (and RIP Axl), because the rest of it was okay, but not my favorite of the season. But my favorite moment of the entire season? The montage tribute to Axl before the credits. Mr. kirinan and I were rolling. I know I use "bonkers" way too much when I talk about this show, but for me there's just no other word that describes this show so well. Because really, what other show would do a montage of a RAT? Only my bonkers show, that's what.

I wish it was going straight through until June instead of their season ending in April.  

• Love 7

This was the best actor they could find to play ELVIS???!!!! Not only did he look NOTHING like the King, but he was horrible at lip syncing! I couldn't really enjoy this because once again, for the third week in a row, or maybe ever since all CW shows returned from the mid-season finale, when I watch, the screen freezes, I miss dialogue and I expect my screen to get all pixelated next! But it only happens with Arrow, Flash and this show. I'm going to have to see if it's because I'm watching the dvr version and not live. Which means I'll have to actually watch Flash live tonight to see if that's it.

Anyhoo, as others have stated, too much Nate, which contributed to me not enjoying this. And please tell me that Mick did NOT eat Axl when he bit into that sandwich before they held the funeral for him! Because, EWWWWW.

And there was a period when I was OBSESSED with Elvis, and so know that he was very close to his mother; and I never knew or maybe forgot about his Preachin' Uncle. It was his Mama that he listened to and lived for. Maybe this was just the show's twist, because you know it's Legends, that they decided to change it.

And the actress who plays Zari needs to talk more slowly. I swear it's like watching an Aaron Sorkin show where his characters talkthisfastwithouttakingabreath that I can't understand what they've said. If I didn't have my close caption enabled, I wouldn't have known what she was saying to Wally about not having to speed, but talk to people. And I can't recall if someone stated it here or over on Mind Your Surroundings, but this (talking to people) is something that Barry does. Or did. That was his thing--talking to people/bad guys/would be bad guys before resorting to using his speed and fighting.

And no way would any of those people in church at the end be okay with seeing Nate and Amaya smooch. It was 1954.

I really love Mick/Dominic Purcell, but when did Mick turn into someone who just grunts and speaks in two or three word sentences? I don't recall him being this way when he first appeared.

• Love 2

I don't have an issue with Zari talking fast, she sounds normal to me. 

As for Mick, yeah I remember barely talking when he first appeared. Leonard did all the talking. Mick started talking more after he died. I think he resorts to the grunting when he doesn't want to talk to anyone. He talked quite a bit in the pirate episode with Amaya. 

I think Mick choked on his sandwich because he saw dead Axel on the floor not because he was in the sandwich. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 10
12 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I think Mick choked on his sandwich because he saw dead Axel on the floor not because he was in the sandwich. 

Oh, thank goodness! I'm blaming my tv for "blitzing" when Mick bit into the sandwich, choking and seeing Axl on the floor--it made it look like Axl had been in the sandwich!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

But I have to say Elvis was surprisingly calm around the supernatural.

That's realistic though.  If I'm not mistaken, Elvis did think Jesse was always by his side, and guiding him.

They're really hammering it home that Nate is going to 1942 with Amaya.  I hope that's saved for the series finale, because I don't want to lose Nate or Amaya.

Poor Axl, he will be missed.  I did like the funeral for Axl.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I couldn't really enjoy this because once again, for the third week in a row, or maybe ever since all CW shows returned from the mid-season finale, when I watch, the screen freezes, I miss dialogue and I expect my screen to get all pixelated next! But it only happens with Arrow, Flash and this show. I'm going to have to see if it's because I'm watching the dvr version and not live. Which means I'll have to actually watch Flash live tonight to see if that's it.

This happened to me too! I was watching live and at minute 39 it just stopped. So I went to the live version and rewound and was able to watch. I was thinking with the ghosts and stuff, was my DVR possessed? I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Swellcatt said:

This happened to me too! I was watching live and at minute 39 it just stopped. So I went to the live version and rewound and was able to watch. I was thinking with the ghosts and stuff, was my DVR possessed? I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous. 

Good. Not just me. But for me, for the Superhero shows, or rather, the CW (because all my other channels that I dvr don't have this issue), I get the freezing, blitzing, skipping frames.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jediknight said:

That's realistic though.  If I'm not mistaken, Elvis did think Jesse was always by his side, and guiding him.

They're really hammering it home that Nate is going to 1942 with Amaya.  I hope that's saved for the series finale, because I don't want to lose Nate or Amaya.

Poor Axl, he will be missed.  I did like the funeral for Axl.

Ok, I didn't follow his life story, I was just obsessed with his music for a bit when I was kid. My 9th birthday was Elvis themed. Lol. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And no way would any of those people in church at the end be okay with seeing Nate and Amaya smooch. It was 1954.

That can be handwaved. "That ain't natural! That boy is with the neg-." "Bob? Let it go." BUT-" "Bob, we saw ghosts. Dang-gum GHOSTS. And the Presley boy played 'Amazing Grace' and set them away in peace. I know it's 1954, but I'm not even thinking about interracial dancing and kissing, along with the social implications of 1954." "Yer right. Also, I think that there's the Vixen from the Justice Society!" "You're right! She defended the country that wasn't even hers, so I reckon she earned this." "Yep. Dang, what happened to the Justice Society, anywho?"

Yes, I know, the JSA wasn't public because Oliver is supposed to be the heroic forerunner. Just omit everything after "1954" if it bugs. I just wanted to have fun with the scene.

2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Shit, I thought Axl was in the "sammy" as well. So Axl died of natural causes? Did he commit suicide because he didn't want to be called "Josh Groban"? And did Mick personally cremate him? I think he was about to, and then Ghost Axl popped out. This show. Only this show. And I say that with love.

ETA: The other theory about the lack of outrage: a mix of Buffy and Men In Black, even if the Legends didn't use memory-erasing devices. Besides, the King of Rock & Roll warding off ghosts in a church kinda sounds like material for a legend . . . and when you think about it, ain't that what this series is about?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 4

I really wanted Ray to sing "Sweet Child O'Mine."  I wonder if there is an outtake?  I blow hot and cold on Ray.  He is just too naïve at times, but his concern for all the crew really shines through.  I teared up at ghost Axl fading away.  And adored the "In Memoriam" bit at the end.  That was so unexpected.  As the poster above said, bonkers, but that's the way the Legends roll.  I hope we won't be losing Mick any time soon.  He seemed depressed with his comment about all the changes.  What would he go back to, though.  If he finds another partner to engage in crime with, it's a sure bet they wouldn't give him a pet rat or hold a funeral for it.  Mick has struck gold - or a reasonable facsimile - and needs to stay on the Waverider.

I did like Nate all right in this episode, but I won't cry if he leaves.  Let me just say that one does not dance to "Amazing Grace."  Tacky, Nate.

I thought Zari, as much as I usually like her, was way off base when she wanted to talk the preacher into doing the right thing and setting his religion aside.  Has she never met a religious bigot?  It was completely unrealistic that the Preacher was talked down.  Two non-white people telling him that Satan's music was important SHOULD have spurred him on to breaking the record right in front of their faces.  Here I am talking realism in a show that featured the ghost of Jesse Presley.  Sigh.

Loved Wally.  I was so annoyed that Jax left, but I am afraid I have to say that Wally's actor is a better actor.  Good addition to the show.

Not enough Elvis.  Wasn't "It's All Right, Mama" his first single?

Forgot to ask what happened to Mick's sandwich?  Was it off or did he spit it out because he saw Axl on the floor?

Edited by Goldmoon
  • Love 5

It was probably a rights thing. That was probably the cheapest early Elvis song they could get. 

I do wish they’d just tweaked the impact of Elvis rather than removing rock entirely. Take Chuck Berry out of the equation and a case could be made. Take out Elvis and we’d still have rock but in a different way. Still enjoyable but disbelief needs to be suspended for sure. 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Still enjoyable but disbelief needs to be suspended for sure. 

Time travel.  Magic.  Superpowers.  Suspension of disbelief kind of needs to be a given with this show.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, GirlvsTV said:

I did not enjoy this episode, probably because of all the Nate. I did, however, tear up at the end when Mick watched ghost Axl disappear for the last time.

16 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It was ok but I was bored majority of the episode. I need more Wally to make up for all of his time off from The Flash. 

^ For me there was something missing in this episode. It was fine but I expect better from LoT these days. But can't really tell you what it was. There were some boring parts for sure, maybe it was too much Nate; he hasn't been annoying me as much as usual though so idk.

16 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Best throwaway moment was Ray's "Mick, don't panic, you just forgot to chew again!" line when Mick was choking on that sandwich.  I love that this a) has apparently happened before at least once and b) how truly concerned Ray was about it.  He really is the heart of team, no matter how much the others mock him (granted, that's usually out of affection.)

^ This was the best part of the episode!

Nate was annoying with his Elvis enthusiasm, but he was supposed to be.  Sometimes you have that friend that's super-enthused about something you don't give a shit about and he wants you to be enthused, too, despite your lack of shit-giving.  That was Amaya's point in inflicted her country's music on him, but he was so sweet in pretending to like it that she realized she loved him.  This does kind up amp up the Nate/Amaya story since it's clear that Nate's no longer Amaya's "last fling" before embracing her "real destiny." 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

Let me just say that one does not dance to "Amazing Grace."  Tacky, Nate.

Thank you! Good to know I wasn't alone in feeling that way. I yelled out at the TV, "This is NOT a slow dance song!" I would have expected Amaya to have more respect than that. I swear I'm not usually a pearl-clutcher--and it has nothing to do with religion; I'm as agnostic as they come--but there are some things you just don't disrespect IMO. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 2

Yeah I was like...wait what?  You're slow dancing in the aisle to...Amazing Grace?  Seriously?  That was just weird.  

This episode was just....off, somehow.  I agree with @dkb who said they expect better.  The Constantine episode wasn't to my personal taste, but it wasn't...boring, I guess is the best word I can think of.  

I think I just don't enjoy it when Nate takes the lead in episodes.  I enjoy him as a supporting character, but every time he's front and center, I'm just like "yeah no.  Next!"

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

I love the way this show is confident enough in its actors and stories that they can take what are arguably their "A" actors/characters (Mick, Ray and Sara) and put them in a "B" plot (rodent funeral).

• Love 4

As a card-carrying Christian: no issues with dancing to Amazing Grace. Y'all do you.

6 hours ago, johntfs said:

Sometimes you have that friend that's super-enthused about something you don't give a shit about and he wants you to be enthused, too, despite your lack of shit-giving.  That was Amaya's point in inflicted her country's music on him, but he was so sweet in pretending to like it that she realized she loved him.  This does kind up amp up the Nate/Amaya story since it's clear that Nate's no longer Amaya's "last fling" before embracing her "real destiny."

That friend = me and Legends.

I realized with this episode I'm way more invested in Nate/Amaya than I thought. Huh.

All the Ray/Mick scenes we've been getting: keep 'em coming! (Just don't kill one of them off, or I'll haunt you like Elvis's brother.)

• Love 2
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh, thank goodness! I'm blaming my tv for "blitzing" when Mick bit into the sandwich, choking and seeing Axl on the floor--it made it look like Axl had been in the sandwich!

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good. Not just me. But for me, for the Superhero shows, or rather, the CW (because all my other channels that I dvr don't have this issue), I get the freezing, blitzing, skipping frames.

12 hours ago, Swellcatt said:

Do you guys live in NY? The CW hasn't worked in NY for years.

Not my kind of episode. For me, this show walks a fine line of enjoyable cheese/defendable guilty pleasure vs. straight up cheese overload and I feel like this one fell into the latter category. Sometimes I cringe for the actors' sakes when it comes to certain lines and scenarios they have to deliver and I was really feeling the fatigue from all the clenching with this one. I'm sure they have a blast with this show so it probably says more about me--I have trouble watching singing competitions and long-winded Oscar speeches are torture.

A few of the elements would have been fine, but I think there were just too many in the one ep.--awkwardly dubbed singing, flying magical guitars, rat funerals, and ghosts with little purpose. It felt Halloweeny without the actual Halloween. Next week's 

Spoiler

ep. looks good though and I'm digging the episode 16 description. I hope they nail the momentum of the last four. I like when this show builds towards something.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

It was completely unrealistic that the Preacher was talked down. 

Yeah, that's the only thing that I had trouble believing. He changed his mind about rock music being the devil's work to accepting dancing in his church way too easily. But other than that, I loved this episode.

10 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Yeah, that's the only thing that I had trouble believing. He changed his mind about rock music being the devil's work to accepting dancing in his church way too easily. But other than that, I loved this episode.

Coming at this from a superhero RPG background, Wally and Zari team-attacked the reverend and made a really good Persuasion roll.  Or maybe God caused him to be moved by their statements.  Or privately he wasn't quite as committed to his self-righteous views as his previous bluster indicated.  Screw it, the record needed to get on the air to protect history and drive the episode to its conclusion.  It was good enough for me.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 2

That was a really fun episode and the show really knows how to pull off these batshit crazy ideas.  I agree the actor looked nothing like Elvis (if it wasn't for the show listing it was in Memphis 1950 I wouldn't have been able to guess who he was playing) but the actor was certainly likeable enough.  Wally's addition to the team is already working out well.

I was going to mention that Timeless is going to do a Robert Johnson episode this season but was beaten to it.  It's fun to note how both Legends and Timeless have covered the same ground, in much different ways.

• Love 1