Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E15: Dolomite, Apple Slices, and a Mystery Woman

• Start Topic

Poor Sheldon! “Babysitting” At least now we know why he hates geology so much. 

I swear that they couldn’t have cast little Sheldon any better if they tried. Iain is so believable and utterly adorable. I loved how taken Sheldon was with Libby’s brain and cracked up at his angry cleaning. I bet any parents out there watching this were jealous! 

George Sr. and Jr.’s scenes together are pure gold. Georgie needling his dad over not mentioning Libby being black was perfect. “They’ve got some books in there about Martin Luther King, maybe you should read one.” Lol! 

Mary consoling Sheldon was the sweetest.....she’s so overprotective, but I like that she tries to be honest with him....i.e: different kinds of maturity. 

Meemaw was pretty awesome too....her wanting Mary to send Sheldon to her house before he ran out of angry cleaning steam and her teasing George about his “manly physique” and Mary about how nobody ever asked her out so it didn’t matter if she would have let her get into a car with a teenager. Loved Mary’s comment about how it wasn’t George’s brain that made her fall for him, but that it was “your motorcycle and you know it.” It reminded me of Mary in The Big Bang Theory telling Penny “when I was your age, you could have me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine.” I like the idea that young Mary might have been a bit “wild”! 

Also, I’m almost certain I had Libby’s pink belt at one point in my young life. 

• Love 15

"Geologists tend to lead sedimentary lifestyles" - cheesy and yet I can't stop laughing. I'm easy to please.

12 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

George Sr. and Jr.’s scenes together are pure gold. Georgie needling his dad over not mentioning Libby being black was perfect. “They’ve got some books in there about Martin Luther King, maybe you should read one.” Lol! 

I love that the show is moving away from "stupid" Georgie and giving him some nuance. Also loved his appreciative nod when he realized Sheldon was hanging out with a girl. He may think Sheldon is a weirdo but he still roots for him.

• Love 17

I liked Libby and hope we see her again occasionally.

Mary saying she expected to be Sheldon's roommate when he went to college reminded me of Numb3rs, which mentioned that when math genius Charlie went to college, his mother went with him, while his father stayed home with the older brother.

• Love 5

After dealing with real life downer people, this episode was not what I needed to see. I should've realized when they made Libby a budding geologist that the friendship could only go south—but I didn't. I wanted it to be the beginning of a lifelong friendship that lead up to Sheldon being best man at Libby's wedding when gay marriage became legal.

But I did appreciate the way Sheldon's dad made an effort not  to be racist after Georgie's dig about him maybe needing to read up on MLK.

• Love 2

Another great episode. This is one of those shows where I find myself sitting up and really paying attention because I don't want to miss the subtle nuances that seem to fill every scene. 

47 minutes ago, SparklesBitch said:

Poor Sheldon! “Babysitting” At least now we know why he hates geology so much. 

I swear that they couldn’t have cast little Sheldon any better if they tried. Iain is so believable and utterly adorable. I loved how taken Sheldon was with Libby’s brain and cracked up at his angry cleaning. I bet any parents out there watching this were jealous! 

Mary consoling Sheldon was the sweetest.....she’s so overprotective, but I like that she tries to be honest with him....i.e: different kinds of maturity. 

Meemaw was pretty awesome too....her wanting Mary to send Sheldon to her house before he ran out of angry cleaning steam and her teasing George about his “manly physique” and Mary about how nobody ever asked her out so it didn’t matter if she would have let her get into a car with a teenager. Loved Mary’s comment about how it wasn’t George’s brain that made her fall for him, but that it was “your motorcycle and you know it.” It reminded me of Mary in The Big Bang Theory telling Penny “when I was your age, you could have me for a car ride and a bottle of strawberry wine.” I like the idea that young Mary might have been a bit “wild”! 

Also, I’m almost certain I had Libby’s pink belt at one point in my young life. 

Agree 100% about Iain. He is just great in this role.

And Mary telling Sheldon he will be surrounded by smart friends - should seem too on the nose but I loved it!

Meemaw teasing George was funny, and even better that George just rolled with and said "That's why I kept the motorcycle!"

• Love 8

“What’s wrong with the motorcycle?”

”I’m not a good mechanic.”

I was surprised when Sheldon was angrily hurling clothes into the dryer that there were red shirts and white shirts.  We know that Sheldon doesn’t do clothes like that.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Mary saying she expected to be Sheldon's roommate when he went to college reminded me of Numb3rs, which mentioned that when math genius Charlie went to college, his mother went with him, while his father stayed home with the older brother.

I can't wait to see Sheldon's college years. Since the show is such a success I hope it gets renewed for enough seasons that we get to see that.

Spoiler

He goes to college at 11,

right?

• Love 2

What happened at the end?  I'm so annoyed with our local CBS affiliate.  Again.  I don't even know why I bother trying to watch anything on CBS.  I spoiler tagged my rant so y'all don't have to read it... I just had to get it off my chest.

I loved the episode and was enjoying it immensely until egocentric weather guy had to break in for no good reason.

Spoiler

Stupid television station seems to think it's critical that people sitting at home watching Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon need the shows they're watching interrupted because there's some minimal snow flurries somewhere in the state.  (And this is Ohio... the amount of snow is trifling, and there is plenty of road equipment to take care of it...our roads are completely clear.)

Second time in two weeks that they have to ruin two of their highest rated shows because of their weather forecasters' enormous egos and inflated self-importance.  Pardon the rant, but I feel like giving up watching any CBS shows.  Why should I spend my time watching their channel when they don't respect their viewers enough not to cut into the programs they're watching?  It's so aggravating.  If it's so important, they can say it during the time set aside for commercials.  Funny how they never interrupt those.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

What happened at the end?  I'm so annoyed with our local CBS affiliate.  Again.  I don't even know why I bother trying to watch anything on CBS.  I spoiler tagged my rant so y'all don't have to read it... I just had to get it off my chest.

I loved the episode and was enjoying it immensely until egocentric weather guy had to break in for no good reason.

After Sheldon rage-cleans the entire house Mary gives in and tells him he can go to Houston with Libby and Tam if she gets to meet Libby first. Libby assures Mary that she's been "babysitting for years" which upsets Sheldon because he thought Libby saw him as an equal, so he decides to stay home. Tam and Libby go by themselves, Tam tries to make a move on Libby, and Libby rebuffs him. Sheldon, still miffed about the babysitting comment, declares that geology is not a real science. This episode was the origin story of adult Sheldon's disdain for geology.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

After Sheldon rage-cleans the entire house Mary gives in and tells him he can go to Houston with Libby and Tam if she gets to meet Libby first. Libby assures Mary that she's been "babysitting for years" which upsets Sheldon because he thought Libby saw him as an equal, so he decides to stay home. Tam and Libby go by themselves, Tam tries to make a move on Libby, and Libby rebuffs him. Sheldon, still miffed about the babysitting comment, declares that geology is not a real science. This episode was the origin story of adult Sheldon's disdain for geology.

Thank you so much for the recap, Chocalatine!  I love that they explained grown-up Sheldon's disdain for geology.

• Love 2

I think that if Libby really saw her relationship with Sheldon as babysitting, she wouldn't be spending so much time with him, though. It's not only lunches in the library, and time in the lab, it's also hours on the phone gabbing. I thought she said that thing about babysitting to win Mary over.

I really liked her, and I liked that the three of them seemed like friends, despite Tam's creepy behavior and the variety of ages.

I may be holding on to false hope, but I hope she's not gone from the show. I really liked her.

First time I've liked Georgie, and I'm really glad they're making him more likable.

LOVED Missy saying she told Sheldon  how reproduction works. I wonder if she told him the right information.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I think that if Libby really saw her relationship with Sheldon as babysitting, she wouldn't be spending so much time with him, though. It's not only lunches in the library, and time in the lab, it's also hours on the phone gabbing. I thought she said that thing about babysitting to win Mary over.

Yeah, I didn't get the impression that Libby actually thought that she was babysitting Sheldon and Tam.  Instead, I saw that comment more as her way of telling Mary that she was responsible...and Sheldon took it another way.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

Libby assures Mary that she's been "babysitting for years" which upsets Sheldon because he thought Libby saw him as an equal, so he decides to stay home. Tam and Libby go by themselves, Tam tries to make a move on Libby, and Libby rebuffs him. Sheldon, still miffed about the babysitting comment, declares that geology is not a real science.

Tam agrees with Sheldon that Geology is really just a hobby, rock collecting, a childish pursuit. Sheldon's parting observation, though, is that even a genius mind can be full of baloney. 

37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

LOVED Missy saying she told Sheldon  how reproduction works. I wonder if she told him the right information.

That depends on whether she got it from Georgie or from Meemaw.

• Love 2

I actually like Young Sheldon more than BBT these days. Interesting that the YS family is far more likeable and "normal" than BBT alluded to. Esp. Dad and Georgie. Weren't they both supposedly super racist? Liking the new direction they're taking. Enjoying all the characters.

Glad they gave us the backstory on Sheldon's attitude toward Geology!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

I actually like Young Sheldon more than BBT these days.

Me too!! I keep all episodes in TIVO. Whenever I feel low, I rewatch few episodes to cheer me up.

I love this warm, funny show so much. There are always irritating roles in other shows but NOT this one. I love all characters, even "Matilda".

• Love 5
9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I should've realized when they made Libby a budding geologist that the friendship could only go south—but I didn't. I wanted it to be the beginning of a lifelong friendship that lead up to Sheldon being best man at Libby's wedding when gay marriage became legal.

Knowing that grown Sheldon hates Geology, I was anxious to find out the reason why.  I liked the episode, except when Mary gave into his temper tantrum and okayed him to go to Houston.  I am strongly opposed to giving in to a child's demands, especially where their safety is concerned.  Just no!  If Mary continued that pattern, it's no surprise that grown Sheldon is such a baby when he doesn't get his way.  

6 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Sheldon's parting observation, though, is that even a genius mind can be full of baloney. 

I loved how he was able to admit that he was full of shit!  Now I keep thinking of the episode on TBBT when Sheldon got drunk and kept yelling "GEEEEE-ODE," then drunk-dialed Stephen Hawking!   https://youtu.be/5KMQZSQ1qxk

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, ChitChat said:

I liked the episode, except when Mary gave into his temper tantrum and okayed him to go to Houston.  I am strongly opposed to giving in to a child's demands, especially where their safety is concerned.  Just no!  If Mary continued that pattern, it's no surprise that grown Sheldon is such a baby when he doesn't get his way.  

I thought the same thing -- tantrums have gotten Sheldon his way all his whole life, and they continue to do so.

• Love 5

I'm continuing to really like the show.

Mary is definitely starting to show a pattern of giving into Sheldon's tantrums and Catering to his quirks. Which Leonard et al I'm sure will be most appreciative of in about 30 years.

I feel like they are starting to carefully sow the seeds for the end of Mary and George's marriage. George's observation that Sheldon will probably be in college in the next couple of years is quite correct and they are going to have to figure out how to handle that. Unless Medford happens to have a world-class University, Sheldon will have to go away to school and he's too young to go by himself. Mary choosing to go with him would definitely put a lot of strain on the marriage.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:

Knowing that grown Sheldon hates Geology, I was anxious to find out the reason why.  I liked the episode, except when Mary gave into his temper tantrum and okayed him to go to Houston.  I am strongly opposed to giving in to a child's demands, especially where their safety is concerned.  Just no!  If Mary continued that pattern, it's no surprise that grown Sheldon is such a baby when he doesn't get his way.  

His tantrum was CLEANING!  If I were Mary, I honestly don't know if I'd give that kid absolutely everything he wanted after a fit or just continually piss him off and put all the cleaning supplies in lower cupboards that he can reach.

(In this case I don't think it was a big deal--and Mary got a clean house.  However, I agree with you when she caved on other issues in past episodes....)

• Love 13

I didn't think the rage cleaning was actually a temper tantrum.  To me, a temper tantrum is thrown by the child in order to make life so miserable for the decision maker that they'll cave - whether it's consciously thought out or not.  Sheldon madly cleaning the house was a way for him to burn off his anger.  Of course, I do the exact same thing so maybe I'm biased!  I once spent four hours in the middle of the night cleaning the house, including getting down on my hands and knees to scrub the kitchen floor, angry tears dripping the entire time!  

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I loved this episode. And I laughed out loud when Sheldon told George to go poop at Meemaw's, hahaha.

I burst out laughing at this. Hilarious.

I have been a viewer of BBT since the beginning. Sheldon is by far my least favorite character, so I had no interest in watching this show, yet I’ve been too lazy to change the channel these past few weeks after BBT and I can’t believe how much I’ve enjoyed it. I may have to binge and catch up! The entire cast is fantastic, especially the kid playing Sheldon. 

Where can I binge? Hulu?

Edited by srpturtle80
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

(In this case I don't think it was a big deal--and Mary got a clean house.  However, I agree with you when she caved on other issues in past episodes....)

Respectfully and IMO, it's never a good idea to cede your parental authority to a child.  I'm old school that way.  She could've let him work through his anger by cleaning everything in site, but there is no way in hell that I would've caved and let him go with a teenage driver.  If this situation comes up again, Mary might decide to meet with said driver first before making her decision, but for me, no is no.  That's how I was brought up, and you didn't argue with that.  YMMV.   When my son got to his teenage  years and he came home with that teenage angst (not often though), it was made clear that he was allowed to have a bad mood, but I would not be disrespected.  George should've disciplined Sheldon for yelling at him to go to MeeMaw's house to poop.  Again, no way in hell would my kid talk to me like that.  I know, it's just a comedy, but Sheldon's attitude and his parent's response to it rubbed me the wrong way.  Future Sheldon wouldn't be such a pain in the ass if he hadn't gotten his way so much. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ChitChat said:

I liked the episode, except when Mary gave into his temper tantrum and okayed him to go to Houston.  I am strongly opposed to giving in to a child's demands, especially where their safety is concerned.  Just no!  If Mary continued that pattern, it's no surprise that grown Sheldon is such a baby when he doesn't get his way.  

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I thought the same thing -- tantrums have gotten Sheldon his way all his whole life, and they continue to do so.

You can definitely see the pattern developing -- as Sheldon says in an episode of TBBT, "The baby always wins." Maybe later in life Mary regrets her early coddling of Sheldon and that's why the Mary of TBBT doesn't put up with his bullshit.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I loved this episode. And I laughed out loud when Sheldon told George to go poop at Meemaw's, hahaha.

I’ve seen this in real life. Large family. One bathroom. Grandma next door. (Grandma finds out the REAL reason her adult child encouraged her to stay close). 

• Love 1

I would like to see Missy telling Sheldon the birds and the bees.  I bet that was hilarious.  I'm sure that Missy didn't have all the facts right.  I can see Sheldon questioning her, looking it up, correcting her.  

If I were Sheldon's mother I would make him angry once a month, like clockwork.  At least.  LOL. 

• Love 12

I loved this episode, but since the preview last week I've been thinking "Iain Armitage does not have baby teeth," at least in the front where someone would see them immediately. Watching this episode, I still think this is true. But Raegan might. 

I loved Georgie's discussion with his father near the library. That actor is a handsome kid. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 2

This is a great show.  I love every episode.  The family is really likable.  Missy is adorable and the addition of Annie Potts as MeMaw was genius, she is fantastic.  Not sure the will write in all the bad things Sheldon has said about his dad on the BBT, the character seems like a good family man.  

• Love 5
On 3/8/2018 at 9:45 PM, SparklesBitch said:

I caught the broken heart = hatred of geology and Georgie and MLK.  Loved the rage cleaning by Sheldon and good catch @SparklesBitch on the motorcycle/Penny connection.

23 hours ago, mojoween said:

“What’s wrong with the motorcycle?”

”I’m not a good mechanic.”

I was surprised when Sheldon was angrily hurling clothes into the dryer that there were red shirts and white shirts.  We know that Sheldon doesn’t do clothes like that.

Ha ha that was hilarious.  I am going to replicate the angry laundry myself around the house.

1 hour ago, LucyEth said:

This is a great show.  I love every episode.  The family is really likable.  Missy is adorable and the addition of Annie Potts as MeMaw was genius, she is fantastic.  Not sure the will write in all the bad things Sheldon has said about his dad on the BBT, the character seems like a good family man.  

I totally agree with you Lucyeth!  And as for the bolded part - I hope they don't include the really negative stuff.  I'm good with Young Sheldon existing in its own separate, awesome Universe.  I think it's wise for the writers to avoid things that would diminish YS, even if it doesn't exactly match up with TBBT.

• Love 10
On 08/03/2018 at 11:50 PM, AnnaRose said:

Reveal hidden contents

Stupid television station seems to think it's critical that people sitting at home watching Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon need the shows they're watching interrupted because there's some minimal snow flurries somewhere in the state.  (And this is Ohio... the amount of snow is trifling, and there is plenty of road equipment to take care of it...our roads are completely clear.)

Second time in two weeks that they have to ruin two of their highest rated shows because of their weather forecasters' enormous egos and inflated self-importance.  Pardon the rant, but I feel like giving up watching any CBS shows.  Why should I spend my time watching their channel when they don't respect their viewers enough not to cut into the programs they're watching?  It's so aggravating.  If it's so important, they can say it during the time set aside for commercials.  Funny how they never interrupt those.

I'm pretty sure that you can catch what you missed on CBS.com. They have the episodes there online.

16 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

You can definitely see the pattern developing -- as Sheldon says in an episode of TBBT, "The baby always wins." Maybe later in life Mary regrets her early coddling of Sheldon and that's why the Mary of TBBT doesn't put up with his bullshit.

Just a small correction, but he actually says "Sometimes the baby wins." It was the episode when Leonard decides to get a dining room table and Sheldon's having none of it. That line led some to believe that Sheldon is quite aware of his behavior and is more consciously manipulative than was previously thought.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AEMom said:

I'm pretty sure that you can catch what you missed on CBS.com. They have the episodes there online.

Yes, but I think they only allow you to watch five episodes before you have to pay a monthly fee, and between the past two weeks of unnecessary weather interruptions during both The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon, I only have one left before I have to start paying.  Which is why it is so much more annoying when the CBS affiliate does it, compared to other networks.  (And it seems like the other ones, like ABC, just have a weather scroll rather than preempt their programs.)

On 3/9/2018 at 8:32 AM, anna0852 said:

Sheldon will have to go away to school and he's too young to go by himself. Mary choosing to go with him would definitely put a lot of strain on the marriage.

I see your point here and I think if something like that strains the marriage it won't be because Mary is making a choice that makes sense for their child it will be because George can't handle it.  Similar to the computer episode where he was being stubborn just for the hell of it and not because it really made any sense.  I've never seen what happens in a family when the needs of a genius kid must be met but I have seen what can happen when it's a case of having to revolve your lives around the needs of a seriously ill child.  Usually (not always but usually) when the marriage flounders it's because Dad can't cope with Mom having to put the needs of the child, not just first, but paramount.  Can definitely see George not being able to handle a situation where Mary has to choose between making Sheldon's life better or staying home to cook for George.

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yes, but I think they only allow you to watch five episodes before you have to pay a monthly fee, and between the past two weeks of unnecessary weather interruptions during both The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon, I only have one left before I have to start paying.  Which is why it is so much more annoying when the CBS affiliate does it, compared to other networks.  (And it seems like the other ones, like ABC, just have a weather scroll rather than preempt their programs.)

That's unfortunate!  In Canada,  CTV carries TBBT and YS and you can watch as many videos as you want, you just have to deal with the ads.

Then again CBS also make people pay to watch the new Star Trek while we lucky Canadians can catch it on Space.

Seems like the US networks are trying to squeeze more and more money out of people.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2018 at 7:50 AM, Frost said:

I didn't think the rage cleaning was actually a temper tantrum.  To me, a temper tantrum is thrown by the child in order to make life so miserable for the decision maker that they'll cave - whether it's consciously thought out or not.  Sheldon madly cleaning the house was a way for him to burn off his anger.  Of course, I do the exact same thing so maybe I'm biased!  I once spent four hours in the middle of the night cleaning the house, including getting down on my hands and knees to scrub the kitchen floor, angry tears dripping the entire time!  

This is a very good point.  We've seen Sheldon have an actual temper tantrum in a past episode and it was...not this.  This was just his way of expressing his frustration.  I also don't think, in Mary's case, it was "giving in."  I think she may have changed her mind, Sheldon wasn't behaving in a way to try to convince her to change her mind with some sort of "or else.." tactic.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

This is a very good point.  We've seen Sheldon have an actual temper tantrum in a past episode and it was...not this.  This was just his way of expressing his frustration.  I also don't think, in Mary's case, it was "giving in."  I think she may have changed her mind, Sheldon wasn't behaving in a way to try to convince her to change her mind with some sort of "or else.." tactic.

If I don't get my way, this house is going to be sparkling clean for the rest of your lives!!  So, take that !!!!  How are you going to like it when there aren't any dust bunnies under the bed?  Huh, huh?  LOL.

• Love 6