Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Meri's Crazy Idea

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

My pet peeve is people that pronounce Washington with an R.  It's not Warshington!  Most offenders live there, too, as do I.  Or "I have to go warsh my hands."  Makes me nutty.

Well, if you don’t like it in Warshington, you can always move to Ory-gone ...

• Love 8
1 minute ago, neh said:

I cannot figure out why Kody kept referring to the wedding as "trite."  I have never seen or heard of the things done in this wedding.

It must have been the word on that day's "Word a Day" calendar.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I think it's a Mormon/Utah thing, too. There's an online Mormon Name Generator and a Utah Name Generator. Odd names and lots of "Y's"

The Utah Rules 

Christine seems particularly fond of that letter, at least for her girls.  Aspyn, Mykelti, Ysabel, Gwendolyn, Truley. I'm actually surprised she didn't spell Paedon with a Y.  Like Paydon. 

I'm honestly very interested as to where/how Christine decided on some of these names.  Mostly Mykelti and Truely.  The others I don't think are super far-fetched as I think I have heard of them before. 

Doesn't the name thing have something to do with their planets? Like if you name your kid Meri, she has a better chance of getting to the right planet as opposed to all the Marys out there? (I literally have no idea what I'm talking about. Thought I read/heard that somewhere.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gunderda said:

I'm honestly very interested as to where/how Christine decided on some of these names.  Mostly Mykelti and Truely.  The others I don't think are super far-fetched as I think I have heard of them before. 

For what it's worth - and you are welcome to think I am full of crap since anyone online can claim anything - but my cousin married Lee Brice (country music singer) and they named their daughter Trulee.    She just liked the name - at least that's what I was told.  And for the record - I've never even met him.

Edited by Kyanight
19 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I think it was a storage area for junk but since FT is "in banking" he probably calls it his study.  They have an awful lot of stuff for their age.  It's going to be interesting to see what the Entitlement Twins do for money in the future.  Raising a family on two low level jobs isn't easy (no way do I think FT is in "management" LOL!)

I hope they do a better job of maintaining their home in the future because it just looked like a place where junk goes to die. And I gagged at Mykelti's dirty feet propped up on the recliner. I think their floors needs a nice, deep clean.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

I hope they do a better job of maintaining their home in the future because it just looked like a place where junk goes to die. And I gagged at Mykelti's dirty feet propped up on the recliner. I think their floors needs a nice, deep clean.

Janelle's were just as bad the week before, we caught a glimpse of hers when she was sitting on the couch.  Either their floors are filthy, they don't bathe very often or they are outside walking in mud.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

For what it's worth - and you are welcome to think I am full of crap since anyone online can claim anything - but my cousin married Lee Brice (country music singer) and they named their daughter Trulee.    She just liked the name - at least that's what I was told.  And for the record - I've never even met him.

I need to check my CD collection but I think I was given one of his when we had a country night.   The only Trulee (Truly) I had heard of before this show was Truly Scrumptious from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Now I have that stinkingk song in my head!

Edited by Natalie68
You had already said he was a country guy. Reading is important!
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Doesn't the name thing have something to do with their planets? Like if you name your kid Meri, she has a better chance of getting to the right planet as opposed to all the Marys out there? (I literally have no idea what I'm talking about. Thought I read/heard that somewhere.)

When a man and a woman are sealed (their version of religious marriage) the man tells her his secret name for her.  This name is never spoken again I believe and is the name that he calls to her when he travels through the veil and arrives in the Celestial Kingdom.  Since a woman can only be taken to the Celestial Kingdom by being called by her Priesthood Holder (husband) she must wait until he calls her to travel through the veil.  However, if she has not pleased her Priesthood Holder in this life he can choose to not call her, leaving her out of the Celestial Kingdom.  I'm not entirely sure if they end up in Outer Darkness after that, or if they are in Outer Darkness while they wait or if there is a nice coffee shop and park to hang out in while they are waiting.

I suspect the unusual names and spellings comes from the fact that they have big families and its an attempt at making their children unique, by giving them names impossible to pronounce correctly or spell in any form of the English Phonetic Languages.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I need to check my CD collection but I think I was given one of his when we had a country night.   The only Trulee (Truly) I had heard of before this show was Truly Scrumptious from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.  Now I have that stinkingk song in my head!

"I Don't Dance" is the song I know best.   I don't listen to country music.     You know...... back in the 1800's a lot of the Mormon's used to name their kids really unusual names.    I just found an interesting article, I will copy some of it:     

"Maybe it’s because we’re kind of different to begin with that Mormons love oddball baby names. We’re taught from day one to be “in the world but not of the world” and that apparently applies to the way we name our kids as well. While this holds true to Mormons all over the U.S, you’ll find the most outlandish baby names in the intermountain West: Utah and southern Idaho in particular. I have met children named Wrangler, Smokey, Mersadie, Corporate (for a girl), Maverix, Jenedy, Silver, Xacian, Versailles, Rafter, and—I kid you not—R2.

But Mormons still want to fit in, hence the popularity of names that sound normal, but whose spellings are anything but: Payzlee, Djaryd, Jaymz, Myrical and Jrake.

Even among Utah baby names, though, there are trends. Boys’ names lean heavily towards two syllable names ending with –er, –en and –ton. While mainstream names like Jayden remain popular, it’s really better to pick something a little more unusual. Truxton perhaps? Decken, Nyler, Kyson, Teyton, Zyker, and Trusen have all been chosen for babies recently.

Girls’ names almost always have a letter y in them somewhere. Mormons love the letter y. Which explains the popularity of names that end with –ley (or more commonly –lee or –leigh), and names that end with –lyn: Kyzlee, Oaklyn, Tynslee, McCartlyn, Avonlie, Chandley, Skylynne. and Chasidee. Let’s not forget other girls’ names like Drakelle, Ezrie, Aubrielle, Swayzee, Taizel, Cambria, and Alivian.

Surnames-as-first-names are extremely popular for both boys and girls. But why give your child a normally spelled name when you can give her one spelled like (almost) nobody else’s? Hence the popularity of Anistyn, MaCade, Ramzy, Awstyn and Paedyn

The biggest and most obvious question when you hear names like this is why? Why on earth would somebody name a baby Serandipidee? Tradition is the most obvious answer. These oddly-named babies are the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of DaLynns, Cloydeans and LaVerls. As I said before, we Mormons are used to being a little bit different, and it’s been this way for a long time."

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

"I Don't Dance" is the song I know best.   I don't listen to country music.     You know...... back in the 1800's a lot of the Mormon's used to name their kids really unusual names.    I just found an interesting article, I will copy some of it:     

"Maybe it’s because we’re kind of different to begin with that Mormons love oddball baby names. We’re taught from day one to be “in the world but not of the world” and that apparently applies to the way we name our kids as well. While this holds true to Mormons all over the U.S, you’ll find the most outlandish baby names in the intermountain West: Utah and southern Idaho in particular. I have met children named Wrangler, Smokey, Mersadie, Corporate (for a girl), Maverix, Jenedy, Silver, Xacian, Versailles, Rafter, and—I kid you not—R2.

But Mormons still want to fit in, hence the popularity of names that sound normal, but whose spellings are anything but: Payzlee, Djaryd, Jaymz, Myrical and Jrake.

Even among Utah baby names, though, there are trends. Boys’ names lean heavily towards two syllable names ending with –er, –en and –ton. While mainstream names like Jayden remain popular, it’s really better to pick something a little more unusual. Truxton perhaps? Decken, Nyler, Kyson, Teyton, Zyker, and Trusen have all been chosen for babies recently.

Girls’ names almost always have a letter y in them somewhere. Mormons love the letter y. Which explains the popularity of names that end with –ley (or more commonly –lee or –leigh), and names that end with –lyn: Kyzlee, Oaklyn, Tynslee, McCartlyn, Avonlie, Chandley, Skylynne. and Chasidee. Let’s not forget other girls’ names like Drakelle, Ezrie, Aubrielle, Swayzee, Taizel, Cambria, and Alivian.

Surnames-as-first-names are extremely popular for both boys and girls. But why give your child a normally spelled name when you can give her one spelled like (almost) nobody else’s? Hence the popularity of Anistyn, MaCade, Ramzy, Awstyn and Paedyn

The biggest and most obvious question when you hear names like this is why? Why on earth would somebody name a baby Serandipidee? Tradition is the most obvious answer. These oddly-named babies are the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of DaLynns, Cloydeans and LaVerls. As I said before, we Mormons are used to being a little bit different, and it’s been this way for a long time."

In my Mormon family I have a Cola May, Kaslyn, Whytnee, Aubryann...

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Ah, so that's why Day-un was named thusly.  Y for I is one that's been around awhile, I think.  A friend of my sister was named Lynda, and they were born in the late 40's.

I always find discussions of names interesting.  I'm one that is all for names that look the way they sound, for simplicity's sake, in school and other situations.  Tradition is fine, but I would choose easy over not easy anytime.

• Love 1

This name is never spoken again I believe and is the name that he calls to her when he travels through the veil and arrives in the Celestial Kingdom.

How much you wanna bet neither of them actually remembers it.  I can see them standing at the Golden Gate frantically thumbing through their phones saying "Now where the heck did I put that?"

• Love 16

I just read online that this is the final season, which may not be true, have to wait until TLC confirms it. But supposedly They got cancelled because of crappy ratings.  Apparently Kody begged TLC for this season and only got it because of a  paycut from $180K per adult to $180K for everyone.  OMG, this means they're going to have to get real jobs. Good luck with that.  I'm going to miss it.  It's a total trainwreck and I love the snark :)

Edited by WhatsUpDummy
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

I just read online that this is the final season! 

Well, that could just be a story, not the real facts.  The numbers don't add up.  Not that I will miss them.  

• Love 2

I am skeptical they would let the show go.  They did that with the Roloffs, but, they came back.  Didn't someone just post upthread that the ratings this season are really good?

Ref. the word trite. I suspect that Kody thought that trite meant to trivialize, of little significance or to  make short of.  I actually thought that it could be used the way he used it, until I looked it up.  lol  So, I'm glad at least, I now know what it doesn't mean. 

trite

trīt/

adjective

adjective: trite; comparative adjective: triter; superlative adjective: tritest

(of a remark, opinion, or idea) overused and consequently of little import; lacking originality or freshness.

"this point may now seem obvious and trite"

synonyms:banal, hackneyed, clichéd, platitudinous, vapid, commonplace, stock, conventional, stereotyped, overused, overdone, overworked, stale, worn out, timeworn, tired, hoary, hack, unimaginative, unoriginal, uninteresting, dull, uninvolving; More

antonyms:original, imaginative

https://www.google.com/search?q=trite+definition&rlz=1C1CAFA_enUS634US634&oq=trite+definition&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2j0l3.9230j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Love 6
On 1/29/2018 at 6:09 PM, trimthatfat said:

Okay. It was just a thought since a lot of MLM sellers with huge customer numbers tend to live comfortably. No need to eye roll. 

A lot of MLM sellers like to PRETEND to live comfortably. Most of them really don’t. They make it sound better than it really is so you’ll become a part of their downline. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

I just read online that this is the final season!  They got cancelled because of crappy ratings.  Apparently Kody begged TLC for this season and only got it because of a  paycut from $180K per adult to $180K for everyone.  Goodbye SW!  OMG, this means they're going to have to get real jobs!!  Good luck with that.  I'm going to miss it.  It's a total trainwreck and I love the snark :)

Just did a search on this.  According to Popculture.com, TLC "is said to be cancelling" the series.  It refers to "cancellation allegations", and also makes a reference to "if the show is coming to it's end".  No other sources came up with this information when I typed "sister wives cancellation" into the search engine. 

They may indeed be facing cancellation, this is not an official announcement.  I'll believe it when TLC makes an official announcement.  Ironically, I think we'd all continue to watch if we could have a look at how the Brown's fare without the reality television money.  

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I can’t stand the letter T being omitted in the middle of words. How do you like my adorable tabby kih-en? Your shirt is unbuh-ened. ARGH! Though I will admit to swingin’ with the locals in pronouncing Renton, Washington as “Rehn-uhn.”

11 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

My pet peeve is people that pronounce Washington with an R.  It's not Warshington!  Most offenders live there, too, as do I.  Or "I have to go warsh my hands."  Makes me nutty.

*waves*  Hi, neighbors!

Kyzlee, Oaklyn, Tynslee, McCartlyn, Avonlie, Chandley, Skylynne. and Chasidee. 

Coming soon to a stripper pole near you.  (I'll climb back into my handbasket now.)

• Love 7

Mormons love the letter y.

Now that you mention it, five of Christine’s children have the letter “Y” in their name; Aspyn, Mykelti, Gwendlyn Ysabel and Truely. Given the way it’s pronounced, “Paedon” could very well likely have been “Paydon”.  Wonder why she didn’t go that route.   

On 1/28/2018 at 7:48 PM, trimthatfat said:

So on the one hand, we have Ysabel dealing with a frightening diagnosis and the possibility of fucking spinal surgery...on the other hand, we have Meri trying to convince her family to pay for a 4 bedroom house for her elderly mother despite Meri having a huge empty home already. You can't make this shit up. I'm glad Christine was the voice of reason. Meri is being selfish. She knows there's no way she can pay for a mortgage with her LLR earnings in addition to the home she already has.

Meri is giving me wet bar deja vu with this entitlement regarding the B&B.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Warsh  is from a dialect known as Pennsylvania Dutch. Very common in Ohio and Pennsylvania. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Roslyn said:

When a man and a woman are sealed (their version of religious marriage) the man tells her his secret name for her.  This name is never spoken again I believe and is the name that he calls to her when he travels through the veil and arrives in the Celestial Kingdom.  Since a woman can only be taken to the Celestial Kingdom by being called by her Priesthood Holder (husband) she must wait until he calls her to travel through the veil.  However, if she has not pleased her Priesthood Holder in this life he can choose to not call her, leaving her out of the Celestial Kingdom.  I'm not entirely sure if they end up in Outer Darkness after that, or if they are in Outer Darkness while they wait or if there is a nice coffee shop and park to hang out in while they are waiting.

Well, I'm no Mormon theologian, but I know they will not wait in a coffee shop before going to the Celestial Kingdom. Drinking coffee is a serious sin, right up these with shooting heroin. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Well, I'm no Mormon theologian, but I know they will not wait in a coffee shop before going to the Celestial Kingdom.

Drinking coffee is a serious sin, right up these with shooting heroin. 

lolol...yea...I know :D My dripping sarcasm getting the best of me!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Warsh  is from a dialect known as Pennsylvania Dutch. Very common in Ohio and Pennsylvania. 

Oh dear.  So other states do that as well.  I didn't know the origin, it just grates on me.  I learn a lot from this forum :)

• Love 3

I really puzzled over Kody's use of the word, trite.  It dawned on me that he really meant to say trivial.  He thought that the Frisbee theme was trivializing the sacred institution of marriage.  I think that it was sour grapes.  Kody was never going to be gracious about having someone else officiate the wedding.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, neh said:

I really puzzled over Kody's use of the word, trite.  It dawned on me that he really meant to say trivial.  He thought that the Frisbee theme was trivializing the sacred institution of marriage.  I think that it was sour grapes.  Kody was never going to be gracious about having someone else officiate the wedding.

I imagine Meri found another reason to feel ignored when she wasn't asked to be wedding coordinator.  She must have been seething that she wasn't handed a clipboard and asked to restore order out of the chaos that was the rehearsal.  She was overbearing and bossy at Maddie & Caleb's wedding, but she did get the job done.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Does this remind anyone else of Scientology?

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle drinks coffee all the time!! 

It must be de-caf, otherwise she would be just a little more perky.  I think it's the caffeine in coffee and soft drinks that is taboo to the strict Mormon followers.

• Love 4
Just now, Sandy W said:

It must be de-caf, otherwise she would be just a little more perky.  I think it's the caffeine in coffee and soft drinks that is taboo to the strict Mormon followers.

The Mormon family I lived with also would not eat anything with MSG in it.  Back then (eons ago!) there were only TWO types of Campbell's soups that didn't have MSG and I didn't like either of them.  I had no idea MSG was in canned soup!  

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Sandy W said:

No caffeine? No alcohol? That's IT, I will never be a Mormon!

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Emma C said:

No caffeine? No alcohol? That's IT, I will never be a Mormon!

Well what if you could be a Brown style Mormon and pick and choose what tenets you want to follow...a little traditional Mormonism, a little AUB and as Kody did, throw in a little Judaism as well.

Edited by Sandy W
spelling
  • Love 7

Well, I just binged all 53784 episodes from this season so far.  I honestly should've just waited for @LilWharveyGal's recaps and the excellent snark on these threads.  That's 25 bucks I'll never get back.  Furthermore, I legit had a dream (nightmare?) that I was trying to arrange tables for a party and Kody kept coming in and rearranging them.  I woke up with a headache.

Now that I'm all caught up, I wonder if Janelle was uncomfortable doing the lip-synch dance?  I actually started counting her numerous talking heads where she discussed how this is all "out of her box."  I stopped counting at 14.  We are literally seeing the exact same conversations over and over - the only difference is the configuration of who is sitting on the couch.  It's ridiculous that this show lasts two hours when 80% of it is filler.

• Love 13
53 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Well, I just binged all 53784 episodes from this season so far.  I honestly should've just waited for @LilWharveyGal's recaps and the excellent snark on these threads.  That's 25 bucks I'll never get back.  Furthermore, I legit had a dream (nightmare?) that I was trying to arrange tables for a party and Kody kept coming in and rearranging them.  I woke up with a headache.

Now that I'm all caught up, I wonder if Janelle was uncomfortable doing the lip-synch dance?  I actually started counting her numerous talking heads where she discussed how this is all "out of her box."  I stopped counting at 14.  We are literally seeing the exact same conversations over and over - the only difference is the configuration of who is sitting on the couch.  It's ridiculous that this show lasts two hours when 80% of it is filler.

This is one of those shows that goes on the DVR so I can watch it when I have nothing else to do.  The other evening I was tired and decided to veg out to some Sister Wives.  I fell asleep and woke up in a panic because I dreamed I was in the same room with Kody and he wouldn't stop talking.  I was soooooo relieved when I realized he was on the television and it was all just a terrible dream.  You can bet I will never watch this program again if I think there's the slightest chance I will fall asleep!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
On 1/31/2018 at 11:56 AM, neh said:

I cannot figure out why Kody kept referring to the wedding as "trite."  I have never seen or heard of the things done in this wedding.

Because he wasn't asked to officiate.  So he has to shit all over it.  Also, every so often he likes to put on his profoundfurrowed browsteepled fingers persona and dispense knowledge from on high. 

However having skeezy pawn-shop guy preside, and end the ceremony with the guests pelting the bride and groom with plastic discs, does somewhat detract.  

But, props to whatever kid decided to trash-talk through the mini-frisbees in Spanish!  

I just wish they'd written "Tony es muy gordo" on one of them!

Otherwise, Christine has a decent lawsuit against that voice coach.  Or, rather, we have a good lawsuit against her for negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Where do I start?  

She has no business singing in that high register.

The voice coach should've told Christine what key she was singing in so she could tell the guitarist.  Although, frankly, it sounded to my untrained ear that she changed key about 4 times in a single phrase.  

And, just because the voice coach was playing the song in a high register to help Christine find the notes doesn't mean the actual accompanist is going to play there.  In fact, if the singer is staying in an upper register, it's normal for the musical instruments to play in a lower register to leave that higher aural space to the vocalist.  The only reason it sounded bad to Christine is when the instrument is covering for her screeching the horror of it just shines right through. 

• Love 10
20 hours ago, Roslyn said:

When a man and a woman are sealed (their version of religious marriage) the man tells her his secret name for her.  This name is never spoken again I believe and is the name that he calls to her when he travels through the veil and arrives in the Celestial Kingdom.  Since a woman can only be taken to the Celestial Kingdom by being called by her Priesthood Holder (husband) she must wait until he calls her to travel through the veil.  However, if she has not pleased her Priesthood Holder in this life he can choose to not call her, leaving her out of the Celestial Kingdom.  I'm not entirely sure if they end up in Outer Darkness after that, or if they are in Outer Darkness while they wait ...

Although celestial names are promoted as being personal and significant the same two names are used in predetermined rotations: three days, this week, this month, etc. At one point - for over 30 years - Abraham and Sarah were the only celestial names used. If your actual name is the same as that day's celestial name then Adam or Eve is used instead. 

I have no doubt that troublesome earthly wives are left out of the call-and-response. The other side of the coin is that it must be a kick in the celestial pants to discover that a more-worthy male (who held a higher earthly office) snagged a wife you did want to keep. Celestial "pick of the litter."

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

How much you wanna bet neither of them actually remembers it.  I can see them standing at the Golden Gate frantically thumbing through their phones saying "Now where the heck did I put that?"

Especially these dudes that have eleventeenmillion wives. Kody with 4 is bad enough. But some of those old men have double digit wives. How to remember all that? What if you really can't stand one wife, but adore another, and are TRYING to call her, but you accidentally say the name of the hated wife??? Eternity is fucked. 

• Love 7