Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Buddy's Missing

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, AUJulia said:

When it was drywalled and carpeted it wouldn't have been hard to run ductwork up there and to insulate to make heating and cooling reasonable. And if central AC wouldn't cool it, neither would a window unit. 

18 hours ago, Dot said:

I'm sure the remodel was done on the cheap; I doubt Twit had any duct work done, too expensive compared to a $200 window A/C. And Twit wouldn't care whether or not the A/C was effective, tho given the small size of the room, I'm sure it was. I've had small units in small bedrooms & they worked well.

This may vary by state, but my understanding has always been that "livable space" is considered space that is heated/cooled by whatever the main system is.  I thought I saw somewhere here that the house doesn't appear to list the attic as living space, which would be consistent with it not being connected to the central ductwork.  

Also, and again this may vary by state, but typically once an area of the house is designated "livable space" then a whole bunch of Code requirements kick in (means of egress, smoke detectors, etc.)

When we had a contractor finish our previously unfinished basement he had to pull permits and we had to pass an inspection by the local Code Compliance officer.  

If the attic was converted into living space by either a shady contractor or by an unlicensed "handyman" who didn't bother notifying the locality, then it's entirely possible that the ductwork doesn't feed into that portion of the house.  

To give Whitney somewhat of the benefit of the doubt, my recollection is that she and Buddy were previously renting this house (yeah, I know, but I'm suspending disbelief) and the owner wanted to put it on the market so Whitney decided to buy it (again, suspending disbelief).  Given the big deal Whitney made out of converting the garage into a "dance studio", if she'd been the one to convert the attic, I think we would've seen or heard about that.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Did they take away the ability to see how many likes a post has?

They did not, but it's currently on the fritz.  It's on the bug list check out the pinned post at the top of the page.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Me from ME said:

And then forfeits the trip to Hawaii...no, she gets to go anyway and then we can be angry with her as well as Glenn. Because a morbidly obese 30+ year old toddler doesn't just happen.  Someone has to help with that.

I thought the 5k was IN Hawaii, but I could have misunderstood. That's what Glenn made it sound like. What a wonderful place to run (or waddle, whine and cry in Whit's case). 

• Love 4

I thought the 5k was IN Hawaii, but I could have misunderstood. That's what Glenn made it sound like. What a wonderful place to run (or waddle, whine and cry in Whit's case). 

Probably was. Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen the episode yet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Alapaki said:

This may vary by state, but my understanding has always been that "livable space" is considered space that is heated/cooled by whatever the main system is.  I thought I saw somewhere here that the house doesn't appear to list the attic as living space, which would be consistent with it not being connected to the central ductwork.  

Also, and again this may vary by state, but typically once an area of the house is designated "livable space" then a whole bunch of Code requirements kick in (means of egress, smoke detectors, etc.)

When we had a contractor finish our previously unfinished basement he had to pull permits and we had to pass an inspection by the local Code Compliance officer.  

If the attic was converted into living space by either a shady contractor or by an unlicensed "handyman" who didn't bother notifying the locality, then it's entirely possible that the ductwork doesn't feed into that portion of the house.  

To give Whitney somewhat of the benefit of the doubt, my recollection is that she and Buddy were previously renting this house (yeah, I know, but I'm suspending disbelief) and the owner wanted to put it on the market so Whitney decided to buy it (again, suspending disbelief).  Given the big deal Whitney made out of converting the garage into a "dance studio", if she'd been the one to convert the attic, I think we would've seen or heard about that.  

(This is an area in which I have actual professional experience so please excuse my tone if it gets lecturey.)

I posted a screencap of the Greensboro assessor's description of Sweatney's house. It does show only one floor as having living space. In most jurisdictions that would be because either the local assessor is unaware that previously unfinished space has been finished and can be occupied (usually because the homeowner didn't pull a building permit) or because the work didn't create livable space because it doesn't comply with building codes. Most jurisdictions in the US (including North Carolina) use the International Building Code, but may add local requirements. Generally, a habitable room must be at least 70 square feet, have lighting, ventilation, egress, power outlets, smoke detectors, and heat, and some minimal ceiling height in a minimum percentage of the space. I'm too lazy to research whether Greensboro requires AC but I doubt it does, and anyway a working window unit would likely suffice. I'd be surprised if the heat had to be the same as in the rest of the house, as long as the attic heating was adequate. 

I do recall that Sweatney was renting this house at first. If it was an income property it wouldn't be unusual for the landlord to have "finished" the attic to have more rentable space and to have done so without a permit. Often when a home is sold, the assessor compares the MLS description to the assessment data for the house, looking for discrepancies, and that's when they pick up square footage (livable space) they missed before due to lack of permits. In some jurisdictions that creates a new inspection process that can require the work to be ripped out and redone (California is famous for this) or reworking anything that's out of compliance. Posdibly that's why Sweatney's landlord wanted to sell to her rather than listing the house. Some mortgage lenders would be prickly about all the work done previously, too, but looks like hers didn't care. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I still don’t think she can even waddle 5k. Remember the parade. She has to ride then and that was many, many pounds ago

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I still don’t think she can even waddle 5k. Remember the parade. She has to ride then and that was many, many pounds ago

She had a foot injury if I recall.... and was embarrassed to be riding on the scooter

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Emma C said:

She had a foot injury if I recall.... and was embarrassed to be riding on the scooter

She always has a reason other than her weight.  That foot injury was so conveeeeeeeenient as the church lady used to say.

2 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Haven't read it yet, but was assuming that clicking on the heart was liking.

It is, you just can’t see how many likes are there.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Emma C said:

I thought the not-walking-in-the-parade excuse was a back injury.  The not-teaching-dance-class-on-the-first-cruise excuse was a foot injury.

One almost needs an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of her excuses.  

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 18
4 hours ago, Emma C said:

Yeah, that's what all the bed bound people on My 600lb Life say, it was just a foot injury, they just fell, they threw out their back and then they never get out of bed.

Between the massive swelling that Whit already has in her legs and the strain her weight is putting on them Whit could easily be one "sprain" away from wanting to get a couple of days of bed rest to being dragged out of that house by the fire department.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, goodbyeglittergirl said:

Whatever the reason behind Buddy's departure, I hope he gets healthy. I do worry that's he's got some sort of drug or alcohol issue going on and I hope that he's able to find his way back.

Thanks for posting that Roy revelation from the Kiss morning show where Whitney interned! 

I think I missed something. Is it true Roy is gay?

• Love 1

I am dying at the commets. I am literally lol. "She flew a live elephant over from Egypt." I was already laughing when it all went out the window and a new chuckle rolled out. The produce section . . . with candied apples - LMAO. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I thought the not-walking-in-the-parade excuse was a back injury.  The not-teaching-dance-class-on-the-first-cruise excuse was a foot injury.

One almost needs an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of her excuses.  

Right? She's always "injured" it seems--and I can see someone her size being at higher risk. But..........it's Whitney.

Her toe "injury" when she was supposed to do the second "dance battle" was selective. She hobbles in to Trophy Wife Fitness as evidence (lame), then later on we see her tearing down walls in her basement without the boot (and seemingly, without any discomfort). She wore the boot when it benefitted her. 

• Love 7

Regarding Buddy, I hope he's had it with Whitney. We see her crying and apologizing about Buddy but, too late, bitch. She treats her friends like accessories/servants, like she's still a  popular HS prom princess. She's nothing but a real life mean girl and every time she cries, it makes me smile just a little. She just doesn't get it. 

"You think everybody is in love with you when actually, everybody HATES you!" (Janis Ian).

• Love 16

Here's the ratings info for this episode. (I know y'all await this info breathlessly, so I apologize for being a day late -- and always a dollar short.)

Up 0.04 for a 0.36 share (That's higher, I think, than any shares in S-4.)

#18 in the Top 50 Tue cable shows, up from #25 last week.

1.129 million viewers.

Interesting, isn't it, that far more viewers were watching cuz Buddy is missing than the week before when the story arc was centered on Twit & her (fantasy) love life.

• Love 7

What was the status of Buddy's lease?  Did Whitney pass on requiring him to sign one?

As far as I'm concerned, Whitney is diabetic.  The blood sugar thresholds re totally arbitrary, and set up because there was a time insurance companies would penalize people if they were officially diagnosed diabetic.  We know she's insulin resistant.  That's the key issue.

• Love 2

Such a dysfunctional episode. So many thoughts, so little time.

Is there some reason why Todd and Whitney can't EVER talk to one another in normal tones? Why does every word they say have to be delivered in that sing-songy, faux-sassy voice they've both mastered? "Come siiit at my taaaaable!" JUST ASK HIM TO SIT. LIKE A NORMAL PERSON.

Why was this episode called "Buddy's missing" when it was primarily centered around Whitney's strange maternal stirrings regarding her (poor) cats. I don't know either of them, but I guaran-damn-tee you that Whitney's cats DO NOT WANT TO BE SWADDLED. OR DIAPERED, FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

And if you must, absolutely must, turn someone's baby blessing about you (hint: you don't need to), and your method of drawing attention to yourself involves interpretive dance (INTERPRETIVE DANCE), you do not need to include a representation of the freaking conception!

What was that crap about her and Todd being cosmically connected due to their close birth dates. Let's see...I share a birthday (same month, day, year) with one of the Williams sisters. Wow, we're practically twinsies! I should embark on a tennis career, too! I'm clearly a gifted athlete in the body of a busty, short woman with no grace or skill whatsoever!

I CAN'T EVEN.

Edited by the-grey-lady
cause tenses matter
  • Love 18
55 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

What was that crap about her and Todd being cosmically connected due to their close birth dates. Let's see...I share a birthday (same month, day, year) with one of the Williams sisters. Wow, we're practically twinsies! I should embark on a tennis career, too! I'm clearly a gifted athlete in the body of a busty, short woman with no grace or skill whatsoever!

I CAN'T EVEN.

Ha ha you can play me - I share a birthday with Boris Becker :)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, the-grey-lady said:

I CAN'T EVEN.

Uh-oh. I share a birthday with Jeffrey Dahmer. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, sainte-chapelle said:

if Twit finishes that 5 k I call "fake news". Running a 5k is harder than I thought!

She'll finish it after the crew stops filming a dozen or so times to let her sit down & rest.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

I can run about 4K but then I need to stop and walk,  maybe I am not in the best shape but if Twit finishes that 5 k I call "fake news". Running a 5k is harder than I thought!

I'm not sure that anyone expects her to RUN a 5K.  For her, WALKING a 5K is going to take hours and lots of stops.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Nancypants said:

I share a Birthday with Hitler and yes, it is Infinitely better than sharing a birthday with that fat braying Ass.

Then you're 4/20  right, like my boyfriend. Here in Colorado,  you rule. ;)

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

So, where was Buddy? I don't watch the show, only the ads.

That may be revealed in the upcoming episode.  Meanwhile, in real time it appears he's moved to another city. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Uh-oh. I share a birthday with Jeffrey Dahmer. 

I'm a terrible person. I'm fascinated by Dahmer and his relationship with his father, post arrest. I watch the interviews and read as much as I can about him. I even have the theme from a Dahmer TV movie on my iPod.  It's either Dahmer or Hitler with me. I don't know why.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2018 at 5:54 AM, greekmom said:

He should have laid in on her stupid smelling fetish as well. Geez Glen, just commit the girl already.

Neuro Linguistic Programming divides people up into several groups:  People who are "visual" who see the world mostly through their vision and eyes, people who are auditory who hear the world.  My husband is one of these and he'd rather listen to music than watch TV.  Those people say things like "I hear you" and such when talking to you.  Visual people say things like "I can see that happening".  Kinesthetics  are people who are about movement and touch and feelings.  They are more interested in "moving to the music" than sitting and listening.  They love petting soft kitties and those sorts of things and they are also very "feeling oriented" in that they get their feelings hurt easily and things like that.

Other people see the world by smell or taste.  These people are very rare but they do exist.  Whitney is one of those who "sees" the world with her nose. 

Edited by AngelaE8654
1 hour ago, AngelaE8654 said:

Neuro Linguistic Programming divides people up into several groups:  People who are "visual" who see the world mostly through their vision and eyes, people who are auditory who hear the world.  My husband is one of these and he'd rather listen to music than watch TV.  Those people say things like "I hear you" and such when talking to you.  Visual people say things like "I can see that happening".  Kinesthetics  are people who are about movement and touch and feelings.  They are more interested in "moving to the music" than sitting and listening.  They love petting soft kitties and those sorts of things and they are also very "feeling oriented" in that they get their feelings hurt easily and things like that.

Other people see the world by smell or taste.  These people are very rare but they do exist.  Whitney is one of those who "sees" the world with her nose. 

Except that NLP has been pretty much discredited. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article you linked to:

NLP has since been discredited scientifically,[9][10] but continues to be marketed by some hypnotherapists and by some companies that organize seminars and workshops on management training for businesses.[11] There is no scientific evidence supporting the claims made by NLP advocates and it has been discredited as a pseudoscience by experts.[9][12] Scientific reviews state that NLP is based on outdated metaphors of how the brain works that are inconsistent with current neurological theory and contain numerous factual errors.[13][14] Reviews also found that all of the supportive research on NLP contained significant methodological flaws and that there were three times as many studies of a much higher quality that failed to reproduce the "extraordinary claims" made by Bandler, Grinder, and other NLP practitioners.[10][12]

Whitney may have some odd quirks of the brain that make her attracted to smells most people don't find enticing (armpits, placenta, cat breath, dirty cat litter boxes) or she may just like being bizarre and shocking in her taste and behavior.  Or both. But I don't think it's accurate to say she perceives the world primarily through her sense of smell.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 8

I think it has something to do with how closely connected taste and smell are, and her obvious addiction to food probably means smells stimulate her brain and give her a similar high. Like a drug addict, she has absolutely no shame or concern for how this looks or sounds to other people when she "needs her fix."

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

Except that NLP has been pretty much discredited. Here's a quote from the Wikipedia article you linked to:

Whitney may have some odd quirks of the brain that make her attracted to smells most people don't find enticing (armpits, placenta, cat breath, dirty cat litter boxes) or she may just like being bizarre and shocking in her taste and behavior.  Or both. But I don't think it's accurate to say she perceives the world primarily through her sense of smell.

I say this with a degree of sadness, Whitney seems to think the world perceives her, she doesn't have to perceive the world. She's the center of the universe.

• Love 5

While some may believe that NLP has been "discredited" it's still taught in sales situations and used by many in psychology today.  I don't totally understand it, myself but I do get the idea that people "view" the world in different ways.  This I know for sure is correct as I can see it clearly in my own family.  A lot of what NLP is about is to pattern oneself after successful people; nothing wrong with that.  I don't get their "maps" and "models" and all of that but I believe that Whitney is the sort of person who views the world with her nose.  If she was all about food and taste and smell and all of that, she would have been a person who had a weight problem for her entire life.   Most people do not balloon up in a year or two the way Whitney did; for most "weight" is a life-long struggle.  Saying that, I don't believe she's even trying, now.  She could eat healthier with lean meats and lots of veggies and fresh, brightly colored produce and those sorts of things.   If *I* were Whitney, I would dance for several hours every day.  If she did that and got her heart rate up and kept it up, she'd drop weight pretty quickly, most likely.  The exercise would help her blood sugar and several other things too.

While I was pretty "pro Whitney" at the beginning, I am beginning to see that both Whitney and the show are headed into the crapper.

Edited by AngelaE8654

Perhaps this is off-topic (although the thread is about Buddy) but Heather needs to get a clue.  She needs to read the book Ignore the Guy, Get the Guy: The Art of No Contact: A Woman's Survival Guide to Mastering A Breakup and Taking Back Her Power

She needs to stop being anywhere Buddy might be and have absolutely no contact with him.  If she does "happen" to see him somewhere (without her attempting to run into him) she needs to act "Light and Breezy" and happy with her life and excuse herself very quickly.  Buddy needs to believe he has lost her forever.  Her acting like an injured puppy is never going to get Buddy back.  If Buddy never comes back to her, she needs to have her self-respect intact.  Mr. Right is out there and she's a beautiful young woman with a lot to offer. 

Edited by AngelaE8654
  • Love 4