Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Buddy's Missing

• Start Topic

Watching Whitney climb those stairs was pitiful. At that age, and surely someone whose life work is a “dance career,” she should be able to jaunt up and down stairs quickly, not lumber up one baby half step at a time.  

My sister is probably 80-100 lbs overweight. She takes stairs like that too. I think it’s sad. Not in and of itself sad, but sad because it showcasss how handicapped that extra weight has made her. 

Also - regarding a 5K. Honestly, that is NOT a lofty goal. Even an out of shape person should be able to walk a 5K in well under an hour. Glenn is bribing Twit to basically do a 3.1 mile walk (or run but...um, no).  It’s sad that a measly 5k is the leverage. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Brooks said:

Aren't there golf courses that require you to use a cart so the line moves faster and more people can play?

As to the property description, she did some remodeling soon after she bought the house (all the white rugs the guys weren't allowed to walk on).  Maybe the attic was redone then.  At any rate, her property taxes will go up the next time an assessor comes knocking.

Except that it looks like the attic may not meet the city definition of "living space," since it's not air conditioned. 

19 hours ago, Alapaki said:

I do believe that Whitney most likely didn't realize Roy was gay.  Otherwise she'd have been pushing the "ow, woe is me, I drove a man to become gay, whatever will I do!" storyline.

Remember when she was talking to her mom on a walk with her and she told her mom that she thought she had Roy 'in the bag'??  She didn't know he was gay

On 1/23/2018 at 8:31 PM, PityFree said:

Didn’t Whitney ever hear that it’s a bad idea to buy a pet for someone else as surprise??? You are committing them to taking care of that pet for the rest of that pet’s life! That’s not something that should be a surprise. 

Oooh...  It was a surprise gift?  STUPID STUPID STUPID.  Just because a cat is cuddly does not mean that it is a stuffed animal.  I mean sometimes I pick up my cat like a stuffed animal and hug him, and he hates that.  But I also buy him toys, feed him twice a day, and clean his litterbox constantly.  The litterbox is the worst part.  I have nightmares about scooping up an infinite supply of cat waste and never getting it clean.

Giving dogs as a surprise gift is okay because dogs are gross and I hate them.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Thrifty said:

Why are some of the posts pink?

They are posts with 25 or more "likes."

You can get the answers to Qs like yours at previousTV's FAQ:

Edited by Dot
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, RabbiBeth said:

Watching Whitney climb those stairs was pitiful. At that age, and surely someone whose life work is a “dance career,” she should be able to jaunt up and down stairs quickly, not lumber up one baby half step at a time.  

My sister is probably 80-100 lbs overweight. She takes stairs like that too. I think it’s sad. Not in and of itself sad, but sad because it showcasss how handicapped that extra weight has made her. 

Also - regarding a 5K. Honestly, that is NOT a lofty goal. Even an out of shape person should be able to walk a 5K in well under an hour. Glenn is bribing Twit to basically do a 3.1 mile walk (or run but...um, no).  It’s sad that a measly 5k is the leverage. 

Shouldn't be a lofty goal, however, we've all seen the preview: Whit crying, clad in flip-flops, clinging to the barricade along the side as Glenn tries to prod her along. I can't wait and the bee-atch in me hope she can't finish (then blames Glenn for making her do it).

Edited by TurtlePower
Autocorrect! Again!
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

Shouldn't be a lofty goal, however, we've all seen the preview: Whit crying, clad in flip-flops, clinging to the barricade along the side as Glenn tries to prod her along. I can't wait and the bee-atch in me hope she can't finish (then blames Glenn for making her do it).

We know that if she can't finish, she WILL blame Glenn.

• Love 4

Surely the camera and production crew appreciate they can join her on any races at a snail's pace.

Are we seeing more of the crew this season?  I laughed when they broke in to ask "what's a twerty?"  Aren't they supposed to shut up?  LOL

Edited by Brooks
add a thought
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I kept waiting for someone to tell her to quiet down on the golf course. My dad used to be a golf starter at a pretty nice country club. First time I visited him there he cautioned me that the golfers were serious about their game and hated nothing more than having their concentration broken by a loud braying laugh.

Whitney's internal logic makes no sense to me. Her mother's health is in such precarious condition that she has to give up a fantastic career opportunity to come home and help her (which we don't actually see her do but whatever). But flip side, her mother is plenty healthy enough to get her a kitten that needed some intense grooming right off the bat and might take some time to be litter trained, etc.? I was glad that Babs didn't fall for the old "oh just give it 24 hours and see how you feel" trick. I think she had a lot of support for Glenn on that one too.

Now they need to find a proper home for the pig. Pigs are not meant to live in suburban backyards. 

In other news, I'm finding I like Babs's hair in this episode and the last. It seems fuller and less layered? I can't quite figure out how it's different but it is and I think it looks nice.

I also agree with those who think Babs may not want another pet who could outlive her. I have 4 cats, the youngest of whom is 8. I’m 64 and am thinking this will be our last crew - which breaks my heart because I love cats and dogs. I can see maybe acquiring a senior at some point but definitely not a baby. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, gigiann said:

That laugh of hers has GOT to go!

Does anyone remember Lola Heatherton from SCTV? Similar laugh, usually followed by her declaring, “I want to BEAR. YOUR. CHILDREN!” (Apologies to Catherine O’Hara for dragging her into this.)

15 hours ago, auntjess said:

Especially when I looked at the on-screen guide, and next week's episode is Buddy's Secret.
A nothing episode.

Unless Buddy has run off with Roy, which would be awesome. Roy’s coming-out announcement came at an perfect time for such an episode...

• Love 3

Things I learned from a re-watch:

1.  While Ashley probably gets a pregnancy-pass on this, she really should not be filmed without make-up.  Because, the way she looked at the nail salon?  Ouch.

2.  If I heard correctly, Whitney's "hand-me-downs", which I take to mean sizes she plumped out of about a thousand frappucinnos ago, work for 9-month maternity-wear for Ashley, who wasn't exactly small when she wasn't pregnant.  I really can't wrap my mind around just how large Whitney is now.  

3.  That brief flashback clip to her original fat-girl-dancing video prompted me to go back and watch it.  The edits are even more apparent in retrospect.  But it's remarkable to compare her mobility then and now.  I don't believe she can lift her feet anywhere near where she did in that video (which wasn't that high to begin with).  

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I also agree with those who think Babs may not want another pet who could outlive her. I have 4 cats, the youngest of whom is 8. I’m 64 and am thinking this will be our last crew - which breaks my heart because I love cats and dogs. I can see maybe acquiring a senior at some point but definitely not a baby. 

I can definitely understand this mentality, and I can totally understand why you wouldn't sign up for heartbreak. But (and this is for everyone in the thread) please keep in mind there are ways around this. If you're healthy enough to own a cat, you're healthy enough to foster. Fosters are often more adoptable than shelter pets because they tend to thrive in home environments, where a shelter might be too loud, chaotic, and full of other pets for their well-being. And the organization should be keeping close enough tabs on its fosters that in the unfortunate event that you're unable to care for them, they'll take over. You can also include provisions for your pets in your will or trust (despite popular opinion that wills are only for the rich), so you can have peace of mind that your pet will be cared for in case something happens to you. Hey, even young people should have this--you never know what can happen.

I'm a foster, and my current foster cat lost her mom at an advanced age. Her trust provided for her to be taken care of throughout her life. I like to think if she's able to see her kitty now, she'd be pretty pleased at how well she's getting on.

I hope I don't come off as pressuring anyone--if you can't take care of a pet, you can't--but there are ways to handle health and age issues, and you shouldn't have to deprive yourself (and kitties) of snuggly warm love if you don't want to.

Edited by monagatuna
  • Love 7

Glenn: I got a big bonus at work.

Work = TLC

Big bonus = Paid trip to Hawaii

I took Babs' "brown-toned men" comment to simply mean men with tans (shrug). The beaches in Hawaii are crawling with overly-tanned guys, young and old. But maybe I didn't hear the whole thing because I fast-forward through the episodes a lot.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, RabbiBeth said:

But Rabbi Beth, she has a big fat fabulous life!  Who needs mobility in their early 30s if you have a big fat fabulous life?

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, shoovenbooty said:

I took Babs' "brown-toned men" comment to simply mean men with tans (shrug). The beaches in Hawaii are crawling with overly-tanned guys, young and old. But maybe I didn't hear the whole thing because I fast-forward through the episodes a lot.

I assumed she was talking about the guys you see performing in the luau-type shows they put on for the tourists, alongside the hula-girls.  Still, an inartful (to the say the least) way of phrasing it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Did anyone explain why Whitney was diapering the cat? 

Because she was practicing diapering a newborn baby.  Their being approximately the same size.  Except for that darn tail.  She must need the practice based on how easily the cats slipped out.

Bonus if one of the cats had pooped or peed in the diaper, she could have smelled it.

Edited by Brooks
grammar
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Thrifty said:

Oooh...  It was a surprise gift?  STUPID STUPID STUPID.  Just because a cat is cuddly does not mean that it is a stuffed animal.  I mean sometimes I pick up my cat like a stuffed animal and hug him, and he hates that.  But I also buy him toys, feed him twice a day, and clean his litterbox constantly.  The litterbox is the worst part.  I have nightmares about scooping up an infinite supply of cat waste and never getting it clean.

Giving dogs as a surprise gift is okay because dogs are gross and I hate them.

Dogs rule. 

My kids are 26, 29 and 31.  Occasionally they've treated me like I have dementia or like I don't know how things are done or like their judgment is per se superior to mine---iow, the way Sweatney treats her mother. We've had a come-to-Jesus over such treatment so it doesn't happen anymore. If my kid rudely shoved a cat in my face when I was in the middle of something she was tardy for, like having photos done by a third party, and she informed me I was now that cat's owner, as if I was expected to do what she said was best for me, I wouldn't have given it 24 hours. She'd have been taking that cat in its carrier and calling Caterwauling Cameron right then to confess that she was a presumptuous brat. 

Babs is a little late but I applaud her for refusing to be Sweatney's puppet. 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Did anyone explain why Whitney was diapering the cat? 

To exercise her maternal instinct, is what I got from it. Since the poor dear doesn’t have a baby to diaper.

3 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Dogs rule

I agree completely! And I have both cats and dogs.  Love them all, but if I could only have one animal,  it would be a dog.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Brooks said:

Because she was practicing diapering a newborn baby.  Their being approximately the same size.  Except for that darn tail.  She must need the practice based on how easily the cats slipped out.

Bonus if one of the cats had pooped or peed in the diaper, she could have smelled it.

Oh so it's like that project high school students sometimes do, where each student in the class gets a cat.  Because that's the closest substitute for a human baby that exists.

Edited by Thrifty
I totally mangled the sentence the first two times.
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Kid said:

To exercise her maternal instinct, is what I got from it. Since the poor dear doesn’t have a baby to diaper.

I agree completely! And I have both cats and dogs.  Love them all, but if I could only have one animal,  it would be a dog.

I've had both as well. The cool thing about dogs is you can pick one that fits you (mine don't bark much, dont shed, don't need tons of exercise, are good watchdogs, don't eat a lot, can't get on the furniture, are very loyal and affectionate anytime I want them to be) whereas cats are not that variable in their habits and needs. And I don't have a box of feces and urine to deal with. 

4 minutes ago, Thrifty said:

Oh so it's like that project high school students sometimes do, where each student in the class gets a cat.  Because that's the closest substitute for a human baby that exists.

????

• Love 3

I know someone with an attic bedroom just like the one in Whit's house.  It has the door at the bottom and the steep stairs going up.  The only difference is that the house I have been in had a beautiful bathroom on that floor and a huge closet.  I'm sure Whit's is air conditioned, but the air conditioning was broken at the moment.  No way would Buddy live in an attic room in North Carolina without air conditioning.  But why didn't Whit have the air conditioner people out immediately to get it fixed if she has a tenant?  Maybe she wants him out since he doesn't pay rent.

I have a new goal to run/walk a 5K in the spring...

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

If my kid rudely shoved a cat in my face when I was in the middle of something she was tardy for, like having photos done by a third party, and she informed me I was now that cat's owner, as if I was expected to do what she said was best for me, I wouldn't have given it 24 hours. She'd have been taking that cat in its carrier and calling Caterwauling Cameron right then to confess that she was a presumptuous brat. 

Babs is a little late but I applaud her for refusing to be Sweatney's puppet. 

Yep.

I don't know if the CIA is still operating black-sites where they torture people.  But, if so, I'm guessing they're playing a loop of Whitney's demented cackle as she handed kitten to Babs. 

It was like an insane seal on acid.

And there was more than a whiff of Whitney trying to infantalize her mother there. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, RabbiBeth said:

regarding a 5K. Honestly, that is NOT a lofty goal. Even an out of shape person should be able to walk a 5K in well under an hour. Glenn is bribing Twit to basically do a 3.1 mile walk (or run but...um, no).  It’s sad that a measly 5k is the leverage. 

especially wearing flip flops!!!  Insanity at it's finest.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

Yep.

I don't know if the CIA is still operating black-sites where they torture people.  But, if so, I'm guessing they're playing a loop of Whitney's demented cackle as she handed kitten to Babs. 

It was like an insane seal on acid.

And there was more than a whiff of Whitney trying to infantalize her mother there. 

Eggggs act lee. 

I'm new enough here that I don't know if this has been discussed before, but one thing that is making me want to stop watching is Sweatney's volume. I can't seem to adjust my tv volume enough to make her standard bellowing tolerable. She's SO LOUD. 

• Love 5

If the house has two bed rooms, not counting the attic one, then does Donna have her own bed room? If so, why did Whitney not sleep there instead of with Nada whom she didn't even know? As huge as Nada is, and wealthy, doesn't it seem that she would travel such a great distance with a care giver of sorts too?

1 minute ago, winsomeone said:

If the house has two bed rooms, not counting the attic one, then does Donna have her own bed room? If so, why did Whitney not sleep there instead of with Nada whom she didn't even know? As huge as Nada is, and wealthy, doesn't it seem that she would travel such a great distance with a care giver of sorts too?

Because Donna was using her room and she has boundaries?

• Love 3

I'm new here. I have been reading your posts for a long time and I had to sign up just to say you all are too funny! I had to leave my room last night while the husband slept because I kept laughing. Keep up the good work! Ha!

Edited by Sherilea43
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, monagatuna said:

I can definitely understand this mentality, and I can totally understand why you wouldn't sign up for heartbreak. But (and this is for everyone in the thread) please keep in mind there are ways around this. If you're healthy enough to own a cat, you're healthy enough to foster. Fosters are often more adoptable than shelter pets because they tend to thrive in home environments, where a shelter might be too loud, chaotic, and full of other pets for their well-being. And the organization should be keeping close enough tabs on its fosters that in the unfortunate event that you're unable to care for them, they'll take over. You can also include provisions for your pets in your will or trust (despite popular opinion that wills are only for the rich), so you can have peace of mind that your pet will be cared for in case something happens to you. Hey, even young people should have this--you never know what can happen.

I'm a foster, and my current foster cat lost her mom at an advanced age. Her trust provided for her to be taken care of throughout her life. I like to think if she's able to see her kitty now, she'd be pretty pleased at how well she's getting on.

I hope I don't come off as pressuring anyone--if you can't take care of a pet, you can't--but there are ways to handle health and age issues, and you shouldn't have to deprive yourself (and kitties) of snuggly warm love if you don't want to.

I totally get you about fostering but the two times we’ve done it, we couldn’t bear to go give them up! So, two more cats! I do volunteer at a shelter, so I can get my critter fixes. ?

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I assumed she was talking about the guys you see performing in the luau-type shows they put on for the tourists, alongside the hula-girls.  Still, an inartful (to the say the least) way of phrasing it.

I'm giving Babs a pass on this, only because I know that, for a few months after my father had a similar type of stroke, he would have trouble quickly recalling obvious words  Rather than struggle obviously to recall them, he'd substitute something more-or-less what he was trying to say.  (Sometimes with unintentionally funny results)  So, "This soup is delicious" became "This soup is tasteful" or "Where are the keys?" became "Where are the door openers?" I wonder if she couldn't recall the word "tan" and so what came out was "brown toned."

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I totally get you about fostering but the two times we’ve done it, we couldn’t bear to go give them up! So, two more cats! I do volunteer at a shelter, so I can get my critter fixes. ?

That's awesome! Fostering is definitely not for everyone. The only reason I haven't adopted my current foster is because, due to stipulations in her trust, she is not available to be adopted. Otherwise she'd be mine in a second. We've arranged it as a perma-foster and I couldn't be happier. I only started fostering because I wasn't ready to adopt while grieving the loss of my 17-year-old cat, who I lost a year ago, and I would've foster-failed already if it were legally possible!

• Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 11:12 AM, Alapaki said:

The whole thing was a disgrace.  Glenn is a lefty, and it looked like he was letting Whitney use one of his left-handed drivers.  If you look close, she was hitting the ball with the rear of the driver head, with the face facing backwards.  

*Whitney* is left-handed!  I couldn't figure out why she was trying to hit righty, unless she's one of those people who switches for things like hockey, baseball, golf, tennis, whatever.  

Wait.  That would be predicated on Whitney actually participating in sports, so never mind.  The whole thing was a "wacky" TLC set-up, so I'm not going to waste any more brain cells even thinking about it.

18 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

Okay, Whitney's flying all the way to Hawaii.  How in the world can she use a bathroom on an airplane?

Oh there is absolutely no way she can.  She'll have to hold it in.  Airplane bathrooms are barely large enough to hold an adult of healthy weight.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

l'm sure Whit's [attic] is air conditioned, but the air conditioning was broken at the moment.  No way would Buddy live in an attic room in North Carolina without air conditioning.  But why didn't Whit have the air conditioner people out immediately to get it fixed if she has a tenant? 

I can't believe any tract house attic would be part of a central HVAC -- way too expensive to heat/cool a storage space. I'm sure Buddy had a window A/C. So when it broke, Twit didn't call a repairman becuz it wasn't discomforting her, just her tenant.

• Love 5

Goddamn, but Glen is tired of Whitney.  He cannot stand to say more than 5 words to her at a time.  I can't say that I blame him, she was downright embarrassing at that golf course. 2 golf carts.  That's not so fabulous.  I think baiting Whitney with a 5K was an insane waste of money.  She's going to bitch and moan throughout the entire thing and walk it in 5 hours.  Again, not so fabulous.  Also, the bikinis and tank tops and ill fitting bras in Hawaii.  Good god.  

Way to make Ashley's baby class ALL ABOUT YOU.  She is thisclose to calling herself a miscarriage victim.  THAT is disgusting, especially to all the women that have actually suffered through a miscarriage.  Fuck you, man.  

That cat was freaking cute, I don't care what anyone says.  I was really irritated with Babs' reaction to the kitten being "ugly".  

If Buddy is missing, he needs to STAY MISSING.  Being on this show is the worse thing that could have happened to him.

On 1/20/2018 at 11:11 AM, spankydoll said:

They need a new script writer then. They could just rehash old plots from I Love Lucy and Laverne and Shirley.  

Meh, it wouldn't work.  That infamous chocolate candy scene with Lucy and Ethel - it would be a cake walk (HA!) for Whitney.  She'd have no problem shoveling those bon bons in.  It's no fun watching someone eat their life away, which I think presently, is this show in a nutshell.  

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Dot said:

I can't believe any tract house attic would be part of a central HVAC -- way too expensive to heat/cool a storage space. I'm sure Buddy had a window A/C. So when it broke, Twit didn't call a repairman becuz it wasn't discomforting her, just her tenant.

When it was drywalled and carpeted it wouldn't have been hard to run ductwork up there and to insulate to make heating and cooling reasonable. And if central AC wouldn't cool it, neither would a window unit. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, AUJulia said:

When it was drywalled and carpeted it wouldn't have been hard to run ductwork up there and to insulate to make heating and cooling reasonable. And if central AC wouldn't cool it, neither would a window unit. 

I'm sure the remodel was done on the cheap; I doubt Twit had any duct work done, too expensive compared to a $200 window A/C. And Twit wouldn't care whether or not the A/C was effective, tho given the small size of the room, I'm sure it was. I've had small units in small bedrooms & they worked well.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Brooks said:

She said Buddy hadn't paid rent in months.  Maybe that's her excuse.  He isn't a real tenant if he's freeloading in her mind.

I feel bad for Buddy about that. Yeah, he should be paying his rent, but Whitney has now humiliated him twice on national TV about being behind on his rent. He looked really pissed about that last time, too. I am not Team Buddy though because I am not Team Anyone On This Show :-P

• Love 7

I can't wait and the bee-atch in me hope she can't finish (then blames Glenn for making her do it).

And then forfeits the trip to Hawaii...no, she gets to go anyway and then we can be angry with her as well as Glenn. Because a morbidly obese 30+ year old toddler doesn't just happen.  Someone has to help with that.

• Love 7