Type keyword(s) to search

Snowboarding

It's really crappy that the weather affected things so much. How upsetting to work so hard, make it to the Olympics and then your run is affected by something completely out of your control.

• Love 9

Women's slope was tough to sit through, but major props to Jamie -- first woman to win multiple golds in snowboarding. I think they just didn't wanna postpone the event anymore since it was already postponed from yesterday

2 hours ago, kili said:

Snowboarding was delayed, but I don't think it was cancelled. Snowboarder cross still happened (the winner of the men's race was stripped of his gold because he tested positive for...you guessed it...pot. He said that he didn't smoke it, he just inhaled it at a party. In the end, he got the medal back because pot wasn't on the list of banned substances (it is now, but not at the level that Ross Rebagliati had in his system. He would still keep his medal today)).  It was the first time a medal was given back. ).

I think that besides the ski federation part of the equation, snowboarders were upset that so few snowboarding events were being welcomed into the olympics in Nagano. There were tones of skiing events, but just two snowboarding events. Of course, the number has grown over the years. 

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant they canceled/postponed events in other sports that day because of the rain, not that other snowboarding disciplines were canceled altogether and not held. Snowboard cross was added in 2006; Ross won the giant slalom, which was discontinued after Nagano.

Edited by alihart41
  • Love 1

WTF is a chicken salad?!

It's a grab. Craig explained it during one of the slow-mo recaps on the live feed, but here is an explanation from an article explaining a bunch of snowboarding terms:

[Chicken Salad] is when the rider uses his rear hand to reach between his legs and grab the heel edge of his board with the front leg boned (straightened out). 

Here is a quick demo of it on youtube:

• Love 1

Are you disqualified if you fall during a run?  In the womens' first run yesterday, at least 2 didn't land their jumps and it looked like they just slid to the finish line without doing any more jumps.

8 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Are you disqualified if you fall during a run?  In the womens' first run yesterday, at least 2 didn't land their jumps and it looked like they just slid to the finish line without doing any more jumps.

In half pipe? I think they lose momentum when they miss and don’t have the speed to keep going and bail on the run. They still get scored if they fall in both Slopestyle and Half Pipe I think, just not scored highly. 

Though apparently W Slopestyle took a page from Short Track yesterday and whoever managed to stay upright won. 

Is Snowboard cross done on the same hill as Slopestyle? Is there a reason they didn’t delay the event more?

Edited by leopardprint

Is Snowboard cross done on the same hill as Slopestyle? Is there a reason they didn’t delay the event more?

I think they use the same hill for Skiing Slopestyle. That isn't scheduled to run until next weekend, though (women on the 17th, men on the 18th). 

Maybe want to live contestants to compete in multiple events. The Snowboard schedule is pretty busy. Half-pipe is the next two days (13th women, 14th men), then cross (15th men, 16th women), Big Air (many of the slopestyle athletes overlap with that competition) is the last week (woman 19th/23rd, mens 21st/24th) and giant slalom).

Here is a visual dictionary of a bunch of the grab terms (Bloody Dracula, Spaghetti, Canadian Bacon, Cookie Monster, etc.). It also indicates the degree of difficulty. 

Edited by kili
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, KenyaJ said:

Chloe Kim is so adorable, but such a badass. And I've loved Kelly Clark since the SLC games. I'm rooting so hard for them both.

Wow I can't believe Kelly Clark is still competing, she's awesome.  Although I also learned just yesterday that Shaun White is also there so that shows how out if touch I am.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, roamyn said:

And he was born in a west side suburb of Cleveland - Rocky River.  Go hometown boy!

He would be my neighbor if he still lived here!  Very cool!  I saw his aunts and others partying at The Market.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Interesting.  I wonder why so many of the grabs are named after food.

My brother opined that snowboarding terminology was mostly defined by a bunch of guys who smoked too much weed.

• Love 20
4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I think only if you fall outside of the course. A lof of boards didn't land the second jump and they slid down the hill just to get the points in.  Some didn't go on the rails either due to the lack of speed they were generating. 

• Love 1

Dumb question, but how often do they repair the halfpipe?  Not sure what the technical term is... smooth, repave, etc.  You know, the equivalent of a Zamboni for hockey or figure skating.  When I was watching qualification last night, when some of the competitors land, they cut deep grooves into the surface.  If it's really deep is this potentially an issue for a later competitor, whose board might hit that edge and fall?

• Love 1

JFC, Chloe Kim is amazing! She just makes it look so easy, compared to everyone else. Throwing down a 98.25 just for funsies? Wow. I'm such a fangirl.

Congrats to Arielle and Liu Jaiayu too. And Kelly Clark will always be a badass. I still her her third run was underscored, but she will always be a champion, no matter what.

• Love 14

Totally shallow and probably catty. Some of the women snowboarders and the tendrils of hair they have hanging on either side of their face while they're ready to go is awful. It looks stupid.. Just put your hair back in a ponytail and leave the cute crap for later. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Totally shallow and probably catty. Some of the women snowboarders and the tendrils of hair they have hanging on either side of their face while they're ready to go is awful. It looks stupid.. Just put your hair back in a ponytail and leave the cute crap for later. 

Pontytails under helmets can be annoying as fuck.

I can't tell if Shawn White is competeing in the half pipe they have only mentioned it 11 million times in the last 10 minutes.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Pontytails under helmets can be annoying as fuck.

I concur. When I snowboard my hair can look decent when I start and be a complete mess by the time I am done. 

Chloe Kim is amazing. That last run was awesome.

• Love 5

Wish there was an "eyes popping completely out of my head & rolling down the street" emoji, because I would use it to represent my Tex Avery-like reax to Ben's first stunt on his first run.

That was like Walter Johnson's fastball.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

I gave this some thought and concluded that it is the only thing that would differentiate the women from the men, at first glance, especially since they are all about the same stature/size and the rest of them is completely covered.

• Love 2

I'm always amazed at how effortless Shaun White makes snowboarding look. How the hell does he get so much more height than the others? 

I noticed some of the women had earbuds in. Makes me curious what music they're choosing to listen to during their runs.

• Love 12

Holy shit. I'm astounded by what Ayumu Hirano, and then Scotty James, and then Shaun White did just now. It's freaking qualifying, and they're throwing down like it's the last halfpipe competition ever. Wow. That was incredible to watch. I can't wait for the final tomorrow.

I noticed some of the women had earbuds in. Makes me curious what music they're choosing to listen to during their runs.

I think almost all of them have earbuds in. Here's what Chloe Kim's listening to:

Ask her what she remembers about the first time she landed the 1080 and the first thing Kim says is, "I was blasting Chainsmokers' 'Roses' so loud I couldn't hear the snow." Kim's tastes are eclectic: hip-hop, depressing Lana Del Rey ballads, even country. When will she decide on her tunes for PyeongChang? "Like a day or two before it starts," she says. "It just kind of happens, like magic."

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 8

I love that teeny tiny women are the norm! It's kind of like gymnastics in the summer games, the sport seems to favor shorties. Nice to know shorties are best at something. I'm a shortie, 4'11" and I hated having to play basketball and volleyball and we weren't given much to do in sports when I was a kid, back in ancient times. I still probably wouldn't participate, I'm just not that into sports, but I love seeing shorties be competitive and winning! Congratulations Chloe!

I know there was that one very tall men's snowboarder, Australian, I think, but he seemed to be not the norm in the sport.

And for an old man of the group, those were amazing runs by Shaun White. Looking forward to more.

• Love 6

I only watch snowboarding during the Olympics because if I watched anymore I don't think my heart could take it.  I'm sitting in my chair yelling "you'll break your damn neck!"  

Shaun just scared the shit out of me.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

These announcers know that there are two more runs, right?  I know Shaun is good but it's a little early to be handing out the medals.

That fall looked atrocious.

The CBC ones were calling Shaun out: "Why are you throwing your helmet into the crowd?  There are some guys here that can still beat you." 

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2

Shaun White shut that thing DOWN.

I watched this on the NBC feed and I loved that the commentators didn't speak and let the camera pick up the audio; the roar of the crowd, shifting his weight on the board hearing the snow crunch underneath, giving his team high fives.

• Love 13

Shaun White is flamazing! I spent the last 5 minutes basically unable to breath. He's so incredible to watch, but also terrifying. So are Hirano and Scotty James. Wow.

And congrats to USA Snowboarding for going 4 for 4 in the snowboarding events so far!

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

These announcers know that there are two more runs, right?  I know Shaun is good but it's a little early to be handing out the medals.

That fall looked atrocious.

I know.  That Hirano's 2nd run was ammmmmaaazing!  I like him.  But congrats Shaun on your gold!

I hope that guy who crashed is okay.  That was viscious.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

Shaun White shut that thing DOWN.

I watched this on the NBC feed and I loved that the commentators didn't speak and let the camera pick up the audio; the roar of the crowd, shifting his weight on the board hearing the snow crunch underneath, giving his team high fives.

Before he dropped in? He was so fidgety, he was making me fidgety. Mr. Tanyak was like, "If he messes with those boots one more time."  And on cue, he bent down and started fidgeting with them. Lol

SO happy for him!!

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

The CBC ones were calling Shaun out: "Why are you throwing your helmet into the crowd?  There are some guys here that can still beat you." 

NBC picked him up talking to his team afterwards. He said he was just so excited that he threw it and realized right after that he was gonna need it.

• Love 4