Type keyword(s) to search

Snowboarding

Mark's story got to me -- coming back from that injury to medal??  Dayum!!  Proud of him!!

eta: Oops.  And congrats to Red -- agreed; always better to see them lose their minds when it happens.

Edited by voiceover
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, Arynm said:

OMG!!! I can't believe Redmond took the gold! He just can't even believe it himself. I love when they are so excited to win

His run was amazing! I saw on Twitter that he's the youngest American male Winter Olympic gold medalist since 1932.

• Love 11

During the event I was wondering if it's more stressful to be in first and waiting to see if anybody does better than you or behind and desperate to catch up.  In any event, while bronze is nothing to sneeze at, I feel bad for McMorris at being in the #1 spot after the second round only to see Gerard and then Parrot (at the literal last second) jump in front.

• Love 3

This kid was adorable, good for him. I love how NBC had like 12 hours and still didn't manage to bleep out the numerous fucks he dropped though. What, they didn't notice until it was too late? 

Edited by Fostersmom
  • Love 8

I was shocked Red took Gold! He was in eleventh place before that run. Talk about showing some grit and laying it all out there. I hope some of our other younger athletes relax a bit now that someone from the USA broke through the medal barrier and have fun too.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

This kid was adorable, good for him. I love how NBC had like 12 hours and still didn't manage to bleep out the numerous fucks he dropped though. What, they didn't notice until it was too late? 

Ahh thank you.  I had the washing machine and dishwasher going so I thought Mike Tirico was apologizing for Red’s mom swearing because I hadn’t heard the fucks. I rewound but my shitty DVR decided to not work so I gave up.

It amuses me - I swore like a sailor at 17 but I would not let my kid in front of me so if I found out he did on national TV?  He would hope cameras followed him everywhere so I wouldn’t yell at him.

Refardless, that was a great run.  I felt badly for Parrot botching the second jump twice but then he nailed it beautifully.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Actually, the that was pretty close to live. The final took place about 20-30 minutes before it aired on NBC. When I saw the result on Twitter, I was actually pissed, wondering why NBC wasn't showing it live. But since they didn't, it's even more curious to me that they didn't bleep him.

• Love 4

NBC probably didn't have it live because the US didn't have a snowballs chance in hell to medal, or so they thought. NBC thinks all anyone wants to see is Americans. I watched it streaming so I saw it live. I think I prefer the streaming even with the main announcer saying "goofy foot" one million times.

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, Arynm said:

NBC probably didn't have it live because the US didn't have a snowballs chance in hell to medal, or so they thought. NBC thinks all anyone wants to see is Americans. I watched it streaming so I saw it live. I think I prefer the streaming even with the main announcer saying "goofy foot" one million times.

That annoys me so much.  Yes we American viewers like watching other countries, SHOCKER!  Glad team USA got on the board today.

I do love snowboarding events.  My favorite is probably the snowboard cross since like short track anything can happen.

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

That was great to watch! The snowboarders always are fun to watch. They all seem so supportive of each other too!

They really do seem supportive of each other. In fact just before Red took off for his final run I swear I heard him say "good luck, Carlos," presumably to the snowboarder from New Zealand.  Did anyone else catch that?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Arynm said:

They were showing live figure skating and I think it was live towards the end of ice dance where the Shib Sibs are strong. I think it was a fair call. They did a decent job of fitting in the highlights quickly and getting back to skating right before Bradie Tennell performed. 

I didn't catch the f bombs but I did hear a "Holy shit" from Redmond on the broadcast. I'm surprised they weren't prepared to bleep. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kittykat said:

I do love snowboarding events.  My favorite is probably the snowboard cross since like short track anything can happen.

LOL. I love it for the same reason. For athletic reasons, I always hope that the events will come off clean, but when disaster strikes and the snowboarders and short trackers wipe out, it's the most entertaining train wreck ever.

• Love 2

I was rooting for the Canadians, but great job by Red Gerard.  That last trick was amazing.  Happy for Max Parrot and Mark McMorris as well, although I am sure they were disappointed.  Hoping Parrot brings it in Big Air.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Wow, we have an Olympian who was born this century. 

I feel old. 

That makes me feel old too, I didn't even think of that :(.

I really do like how nice the snow boarders are to each other, they do often cheer eachother on. And contrats to Redmond.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, xaxat said:

Wow, we have an Olympian who was born this century. 

I feel old. 

Laurie Hernandez (gymnastics) in Rio was the first U.S. Olympian born in the 2000's, and the first gold medalist (for the team event). But I would think that now, Gerard is the first to win an Olympic gold medal in an individual event.

• Love 5

I don’t know anything about snowboarding, but is the Olympics considered a pinnacle snowboarding competition? I know it’s still fairly new but maybe they don’t view it as important as the X-Games? Though the Olympics was a possibility for all of Red’s career and most of the other competitors so maybe it is now.

Edited by leopardprint
35 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

but is the Olympics considered a pinnacle snowboarding competition?

I think partially yes, but the IOC also had to find more events that were more "modern" and probably boost the appeal to the younger set.  

I saw snowboard cross is happening on the 13th and 14th.

• Love 1

I am waiting for the inevitable sob story puff piece on Lindsey Jacobellis.  This is really mean of me but I cackled when she threw away the gold in 06 and then failed the next two times.  Now it's going to be "will she ever win gold".  She made a mistake that she will never live down.  The Olympics are full of stories of athletes overcoming challenges and succeeding, but if she were to win gold here the only thing she would have overcome is her own hubris.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, ombelico said:

Laurie Hernandez (gymnastics) in Rio was the first U.S. Olympian born in the 2000's, and the first gold medalist (for the team event). But I would think that now, Gerard is the first to win an Olympic gold medal in an individual event.

Not American, but Penny Oleksiak won individual gold in swimming in Rio (albeit in a tie).

3 hours ago, leopardprint said:

I don’t know anything about snowboarding, but is the Olympics considered a pinnacle snowboarding competition? I know it’s still fairly new but maybe they don’t view it as important as the X-Games? Though the Olympics was a possibility for all of Red’s career and most of the other competitors so maybe it is now.

It's up there with the X Games and the US Open, which is the oldest snowboarding competition, but I think snowboarding is more important to the Olympics than the Olympics is to snowboarders. A lot of the old guard of snowboarding scoffed at the Olympics adding snowboarding in 1998 because they felt like they were just doing it to attract younger viewers, which they were, and Terje Haakonsen, aka the godfather of snowboarding, refused to compete in Nagano because he didn't like that they had snowboarding under the ski federation instead of the snowboarding federation (snowboarding used to be banned at ski resorts, so this was a touchy subject). The Nagano debut was also a disaster because there was a rainstorm and they canceled all other events except the halfpipe, so snowboarders felt disrespected. But the organizers were better in Salt Lake and we did very well there -- Kelly Clark won the first U.S. gold of those games and the men swept the halfpipe podium -- and snowboarding and action sports were taking off more during that time. We did even better in Torino with seven medals, including Shaun White's first gold, and that was when the sport really crossed over into mainstream, and it's now one of the most popular Olympic sports. Younger snowboarders and the new generation have embraced the Olympics more, and I think they recognize the magnitude of the Olympics and what a boon it can be to your career (sponsorships, etc) and growing the sport in general. But it's not the end-all-be-all for them like it is for athletes in some other sports, like in figure skating or alpine skiing or gymnastics or swimming where you need to be known for winning the Olympics. I think that's partially why they're so chill when you see them in the games. I mean, they're always chill, but there's no super intensity or "no talking to your rival" like in some other sports.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ombelico said:

They said he was the first Olympian born in the 2000’s to win gold in the Winter Olympics.

• Love 1

Snowboarding has to be my favorite winter Olympic sport, and I've never even tried it. And I suck at skiing. But those tricks in the air - I just can't get enough of! I had to watch Red's last run several times - it was breathtaking! Also I love the f-bombs and shit he threw in there. His family cheering like crazy was adorable. Can't believe his parents have 7 kids, wow! And they all flew to S. Korea!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am waiting for the inevitable sob story puff piece on Lindsey Jacobellis.  This is really mean of me but I cackled when she threw away the gold in 06 and then failed the next two times.  Now it's going to be "will she ever win gold".  She made a mistake that she will never live down.  The Olympics are full of stories of athletes overcoming challenges and succeeding, but if she were to win gold here the only thing she would have overcome is her own hubris.

I’ve never understood the schadenfreude directed toward Lindsey Jacobellis. Did she react poorly after losing beyond a sense of disappointment? Did she never do anything in the sport beyond that race? Am I missing something here?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, alihart41 said:

but I think snowboarding is more important to the Olympics than the Olympics is to snowboarders.

This was my uninformed impression, I actually think the snowboarding events have the best combination of excitement, performance and athleticism even though most of the events are judged rather than whoever is fastest, etc. I remember the Flying Tomato games so I could see that bumping up the importance given all the fame and money Shaun White got after. 

26 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

I’ve never understood the schadenfreude directed toward Lindsey Jacobellis. Did she react poorly after losing beyond a sense of disappointment? Did she never do anything in the sport beyond that race? Am I missing something here?

I think she was quite a bit ahead and then showboated at the end and fell and thus lost the race? 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, mehtotheworld said:

I think it was big of her to admit her mistake and admit that she was just having fun.  She knows she cost herself a gold medal because she was showing off.  I don't think my irritation is necessarily with her.  She knows she messed up.  It's really more how the media has consistently painted her as some kind of tragic hero.  And this year is yet another chance for her at redemption.   Like none of it was her fault, she was just unlucky.  She wasn't unlucky.  She was foolish.  There would be nothing to overcome or redeem if she hadn't been arrogant.

• Love 1

I get all that, she would have won had she just kept focus and celebrated after crossing the finish line, yadda yadda yadda (though she still won silver, she didn’t exactly lose). I just looked her up and it seems like she’s done/won so much beyond the Olympics. I just think people need to give her a break, maybe consider her career beyond the Olympics and maybe consider she herself wants to move beyond that race. Kind of seems shitty to have to continue to atone for something more than a decade out! (Unless she’s a shitty person, in which case, proceed). 

• Love 3

The Nagano debut was also a disaster because there was a rainstorm and they canceled all other events except the halfpipe, so snowboarders felt disrespected. 

Snowboarding was delayed, but I don't think it was cancelled. Snowboarder cross still happened (the winner of the men's race was stripped of his gold because he tested positive for...you guessed it...pot. He said that he didn't smoke it, he just inhaled it at a party. In the end, he got the medal back because pot wasn't on the list of banned substances (it is now, but not at the level that Ross Rebagliati had in his system. He would still keep his medal today)).  It was the first time a medal was given back. ).

I think that besides the ski federation part of the equation, snowboarders were upset that so few snowboarding events were being welcomed into the olympics in Nagano. There were tones of skiing events, but just two snowboarding events. Of course, the number has grown over the years. 

• Love 1

I just saw the track and it is really windy, don't blame them for delaying(for now, will not be surprised if they cancel), It would be super dangerous to let the ladies go down that hill with the weather like that.

eta, it looks like they are going for it. Good luck everyone!!

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I just saw the track and it is really windy, don't blame them for delaying(for now, will not be surprised if they cancel), It would be super dangerous to let the ladies go down that hill with the weather like that.

It's been amended: no qualifications runs and 3 run final like it was for the men.  All the women get 2 runs and they're done. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I didn't see all the men yesterday but did they have as many problems staying up as the women so far.

Not paying as much attention (watching skating, though it is on my PiP) but in qualifications a lot of riders had horrible runs. 

• Love 1

We have someone named Craig McMorris and his expressions are making me question my age?  WTF is a chicken salad?!

The wind is really not doing the ladies any favours.  Lots of them are not able to complete all 3 jumps.

• Love 2

I saw Jamie Anderson's first run which gave her the lead. Maybe I was spoiled by the amazing tricks of Gerard, Parrot and McMorris, but I was unimpressed.  I get that men's bodies vs women and all that, but I was expecting a bit more from the defending women's gold medalist.

• Love 1

I think there's gonna be a lot of controversy about letting the women's slopestyle event go off under those conditions. I've already seen a quote from one of the Dutch athletes calling it a shit show. But in any event, congrats to Jamie Anderson. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 6

The Dutch commentators were saying that the direction of the wind would change during a jump which is why so many fell and there were a few who fell after landing but didn't seem stable enough to pull through due to the wind. I think it should have been postponed, this was not good for the sport at all unlike yesterday which was amazing. The women deserved a competition like that. If the commentators are excited to see someone make it down you have a problem imo.

• Love 3