Type keyword(s) to search

Snowboarding

I think my heart actually stopped.

See, I thought I had been spoiled -- NPR posted that Shaun got the silver, so I was all bitterly disappointed/brave front.

Then I saw his run.  And watched his reaction.  And thought, Wait; what?

If only there was snow outside my hous, instead of sand.  I would run out and do a snow angel in his honor.

Fuck it.  Sand angel for Shaun!!!!

• Love 11

Great job by Shaun White.  The top 4 were really quite amazing.  I wish we had seen the whole competition though.  I don't understand how NBC was claiming it was "LIVE" when we didn't see everyone.  There was some Austrian guy Patrick something in 5th place that I don't think we saw at all?  Instead we had to see Americans who weren't as good.  And per the official results, there was a Finnish guy who averaged about 12 points in his three runs.  Wonder how that looked.

• Love 3

I was fine until they showed Shaun totally bawling when hugging his mom and dad. I love that he was so emotional and happy and proud. He earned this (and I just googled the video of his Oct. crash, yikes).

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I was fine until they showed Shaun totally bawling when hugging his mom and dad. I love that he was so emotional and happy and proud. He earned this (and I just googled the video of his Oct. crash, yikes).

Same here! I was excited and pumped for him, but as soon as they showed him with his parents, I completely lost it. Tears were pouring out. Something just gets me when you see kids with their parents. Wow. Olympics, you are just so much fun.

So, think Shaun’s retiring? Winning gold at 31 is definitely a great way to go out. I’ll be sad to have an Olympics without him. I’m also 31, so there’s not a lot of games I’ve watched without him....

Edited by SnoGirl
I know how to spell Shaun’s name. Usually.
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, SnoGirl said:

Same here! I was excited and pumped for him, but as soon as they showed him with his parents, I completely lost it. Tears were pouring out. Something just gets me when you see kids with their parents. Wow. Olympics, you are just so much fun.

So, think Shawn’s retiring? Winning gold at 31 is definitely a great way to go out. I’ll be sad to have an Olympics without him. I’m also 31, so there’s not a lot of games I’ve watched without him....

He's 31 now?  I only just turned 57 yesterday, and now I feel very, very old.  :(

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

So, think Shaun’s retiring? Winning gold at 31 is definitely a great way to go out. I’ll be sad to have an Olympics without him. I’m also 31, so there’s not a lot of games I’ve watched without him....

There's talk that he may try to compete in Tokyo in 2020 in the new skateboarding event.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, MVFrostsMyPie said:

Heck, he could still try to compete in 2022. He'd be 35, but so is Kelly Clark now (well, almost, in a few months) and she got 4th place which is commendable. 

I wouldn't bet against him. 

And I love your username! I love Michael Vartan so much!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, voiceover said:

Then I saw his run.  And watched his reaction.  And thought, Wait; what?

If only there was snow outside my hous, instead of sand.  I would run out and do a snow angel in his honor.

Fuck it.  Sand angel for Shaun!!!!

If I can "figure skate" in my stocking feet on my hard wood floor you can "snow board" on the sand.  I just did a mean triple axel in my living room.

• Love 4

Watching the interview (Mike Tirico with Shaun), and, after that grisly New Zealand footage, Shaun said that he knew [if he continued to compete] he risked it happening again.

And it was a powerful reminder of the fear to be overcome, to earn redemption of any kind: Because the bad could happen again.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

Great job by Shaun White.  The top 4 were really quite amazing.  I wish we had seen the whole competition though.  I don't understand how NBC was claiming it was "LIVE" when we didn't see everyone.  There was some Austrian guy Patrick something in 5th place that I don't think we saw at all?  Instead we had to see Americans who weren't as good.  And per the official results, there was a Finnish guy who averaged about 12 points in his three runs.  Wonder how that looked.

I saw one of his runs. The poor guy kept falling. Honestly though everyone fell at least once (including Shaun), which made me think it was just really slippery.

And my heart go to the Japanese guy who seriously fell. It sounded like he injured his hip. Hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

• Love 2

I think it's totally appropriate to post here and I'm glad to be made aware of it. It doesn't take away from any of the other snowboarders or my enjoyment of watching White compete, but it does help people understand the whole story of his questionable background/actions.

• Love 1

At the Olympic  news conference, he referred to it as “gossip” that he didn’t want to discuss.  

Harrassment is pervasive, so pointing it out should be equally pervasive so it is always called out so all corners can hear. 

He’s great what he does, but he also did this. 

That we point it out takes absolutely nothing away from Chloe Kim. Nothing. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 8

Discussion about news concerning athletes and management is allowed in these threads. What is discouraged is back and forth and derailment from the topic of the sport. You can discuss both in a measured manner. Thanks.

• Love 3

I love how crazy snowboard cross is.  Seems like there are no rules.  If somebody happens to run into you and knocks you down, then so be it.  Seems like when some of the guys fell, there was no urgency to get back up.  They should know that anything can happen and that you should always race to the end.

Wow, Lindsey Jacobellis is still at it, and we'll see her tomorrow.  I remember that Torino hotdogging that cost her the gold like it was yesterday.  When they kept showing all the video of her surfing talking about how happy she is, I thought she had walked away from the sport.  Hopefully we'll see her get her redemption tomorrow night.

• Love 4

I was wondering about the rules in snowboard cross too.  In the semifinal that Nick Bahmgartner was in, there was another American named Dierdorff that crashed out early.  In the replay, he is clearly pushed/shoved by the guy in the green bib, Martin something.  Martin something later got taken out when the Canadian fell.  Dierdorff finished third so still qualified for the big final.  

But really, if he hadn't, there's no penalty against Martin?  So it's not like short track speedskating where you can get DQ'd for taking someone out, or where the taken out person automatically advances?  Seems crazy.  Why not just shove everyone all the time then?

6 hours ago, blackwing said:

I was wondering about the rules in snowboard cross too.  In the semifinal that Nick Bahmgartner was in, there was another American named Dierdorff that crashed out early.  In the replay, he is clearly pushed/shoved by the guy in the green bib, Martin something.  Martin something later got taken out when the Canadian fell.  Dierdorff finished third so still qualified for the big final.  

But really, if he hadn't, there's no penalty against Martin?  So it's not like short track speedskating where you can get DQ'd for taking someone out, or where the taken out person automatically advances?  Seems crazy.  Why not just shove everyone all the time then?

I think it is indeed pretty much everything goes.  These guys are traveling at high speeds, typically if you run into somebody, you're likely to go down yourself, especially on jumps.  I suppose if a guy comes up on your toe side, you could push his body out of the way and make him fall.  But in order for you to be able to reach him, the two of you would have to be really close, arguably too close, such as what occurs in those big turns, so I think that's why we usually see the wrecks there.

Watching snowboard cross and the alpine events makes me once again realize that I like the timed events better than the judged events.  First one to the finish wins, no questions about it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Wow, I really hope this Austrian snowboarder is ok.  Apparently, doctors have ruled out permanent damage, thank goodness. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/austrian-snowboarder-breaks-neck-in-terrifying-olympics-crash/ar-BBJaXMm?li=BBnbfcL&OCID=msnHomepage

Why did I watch this!?!?!?!! Why!?!??! About three years ago I broke a cervical vertebrae.  Watching this crash and knowing he broke C5, I got tingles down my arms.  That was a serious fall with nothing much he could do once he was airborne.  If ever cat-like reflexes would have been handy, this is the time.  I hope he recovers well. 

• Love 4

Uhh, you guys weren't kidding about snowboard cross being no joke. I saw a guy go down, then get hit in the back by another rider's board as he went past. That had to hurt! And breaking a bone in the neck? It's a really entertaining sport, but damn! 

3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Has anyone seen an update on the guy who crashed in the halfpipe and was taken off on a stretcher?

I just got done looking him up.  Amazingly he did not break any bones!  He just injured his hip, they weren’t specific in the articles I saw that were in English what exactly the injury is, I’m assuming a giant bruise.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

One thing I appreciate about Snowboarding Cross is that each racer is given a brightly colored bib making it easier to follow them as they race.  I wish they'd do that with other races since sometimes uniforms can blend together. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I was wishing for Lindsey to medal, just so everyone would shut the fuck up.  

I hope someday she will be consoled by the fact that she kept coming back to try again.  We're thrilled by the "redemption" triumphs (See: S. White), but as the saying goes, the greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.  And so she did.

• Love 12

I definitely laughed.  I'm not a fan.  Yes, she admitted her mistake and yes, she has won a lot of X Games since then.  But I just can't stand the way the media tongue bathes her.  I don't know who the NBC commentator is, but he kept going on and on about whether she would get redemption.  Then he went to list off her past "unfortunate" failures and said that in 2006 in Torino, "gold slipped away from her".  

As I've said before, it didn't "slip away".  She threw it away.  I will continue disliking her as long as the media continues to portray her as a tragic hero.

I realise that she is 32.  But Nate Baumgartner is 36 and at the Olympics, so I guess I should prepare to see her in Beijing in 2022.  Maybe by then she will be washed up like Shani Davis or Missy Franklin and fade away.

• Love 3