Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

I think I've fallen in love with pairs skating. It's so nice to watch more mature skaters (the announcers keep acting like Carolina Kostner has a foot in the grave), women with shorter hair, and Meghan Duhamel beaming from ear to ear. 

How does Aliona look exactly the same in her 2002 Olympics clips as she does today? 

Sui and Han are incredible, I hope they can stay healthy for Beijing.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HartofDixie said:

This is when they owned the podium:

Did you see the special piece that NBC ran yesterday about Katarina Gordeva?  The death of Sergei in '95, and their daughter, Daria, talking about how she thinks of him every day and how strong her mom is.  She is 25 now.  It was a very moving story.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Apparently that's the one.  If you google Meghan Duhamel husband, there are photos of their wedding.  He coaches a bunch.  He was sitting at the Kiss & Cry all evening.

Oh yeahhhhhh. He was in the Kiss and Cry with the North Koreans, too.  I wonder if he was helping them out, because you KNOW that they're not allowed to go to train somewhere that they might like. Or with a coach who may "corrupt" them. 

After the team short program, a reporter asked the North Koreans how it was skating in South Korea and Olympic ice, and she answered, "it was like a dream," but her North Korean interpreter said, "She said that it was just like skating in her own country." Ummmmm......yeah, sure.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It's hard to fathom that for as long they worked on that program, nobody at any point said "this is complete trash, let's go back to the drawing board." I don't know if the Not-Russians were trying to be the antithesis of what people expect from Russian pairs or what, but it was tragically bad. 

Lipinski said that the choice of music and costumes was questionable in an Olympic year.  However, I thought someone upthread said it doesn't look like they lost any points for this?  This is the couple that did Rachmaninoff in the short program, right?  So classic, so Russian.  Then... this.

But it's ok.  Thank you Not-Russians for throwing away a medal and handing it to the Canadians!

I'm still wondering about her thong.  You can see on every woman when they get thrown up for the horizontal twist... matching panties of the type that cheerleaders wear.  With this woman... butt cheeks!  It was a bit surprising.

This got me wondering how restrictive the costuming rules are.  Upthread when we were making fun of the men with the shirts with the see-through back, someone was saying the costumes couldn't have exposed skin - arms, chest hair, etc.  But I saw some bare arms on some men last night, and then there was Vanessa James' partner with that weird blue strip holding together the plunging neckline of his shirt.  For women, Maia Shibutani's red dress exposed cleavage, and then there was the woman whose top almost fell off and she competed with half her top off one shoulder.   So are the rules not really enforced?  Will we see more thongs in the future?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Oh yeahhhhhh. He was in the Kiss and Cry with the North Koreans, too.  I wonder if he was helping them out, because you KNOW that they're not allowed to go to train somewhere that they might like. Or with a coach who may "corrupt" them. 

I could be making this up but I vaguely remember hearing they trained in Canada last year.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I thought I read that the North Koreans trained in Montreal.  Definitely was in Canada somewhere.  If not full time, it was at least part of the time.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, Jeddah said:

I’ve noticed that the Grand Prix events and Worlds have made the top three sit together while waiting for other teams. They didn’t do that at the last Olympics, but last night it seemed like the top three teams were all sitting together. Anyone know if they make the skaters do that? Is there a penalty if they don’t? It seems like sometimes they wouldn’t want to be near each other, or just want to go the locker room and cry in private. How does it even work? If someone bumps you into fourth, are there people who come to tell you to get off the couch?

They started doing that at ISU events about two years ago. I think someone saw it at the ski events and thought it was cool. They have a monitor there where they can see the scores (maybe even the skate). Basically they all shift when someone moves into third or higher, with the third place skaters bumped.

They are also having the skaters line up center ice at the beginning of each warm up session and be introduced. No one can start the practice session until all are introduced, Then the six minutes begin and they can start skating. The ISU seems to think that this will increase spectator interest in the skaters. I guess it is better than when the arena announcer used to call out interesting factoids about the skaters while they did the warm up.

46 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

They seemed to be getting along.  At least they're forced to look like good sports.  I'm sure they know each other from years of skating the same events.

Everyone handled it well last night, but to me it seems like something they shouldn’t have to do. At Four Continents Jason Brown seemed to be having the time of his life while waiting, but not everyone is as perpetually happy as Jason Brown. They didn’t really show Sui and Han waiting, but I imagine it had to be hard for them to go sit by Aliona and Bruno immediately after getting their score. And if I were Aliona or Bruno I would have wanted to get up and pace back and forth, not sit on a couch with a camera in my face. Back in the day, it would have been excruciating for Michelle Kwan and Sarah Hughes to sit together as they watched Irina skate knowing her placement would determine which one of them won (don’t get me started on ordinals). It would have felt cruel to watch.

15 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

They started doing that at ISU events about two years ago. I think someone saw it at the ski events and thought it was cool. They have a monitor there where they can see the scores (maybe even the skate). Basically they all shift when someone moves into third or higher, with the third place skaters bumped.

I noticed the other night that the snowboarders do it too. Do you know what the penalty is if they don’t stay in the assigned waiting area?

At least at Nationals this year they let everyone waiting play with a puppy!

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I could be making this up but I vaguely remember hearing they trained in Canada last year.

Yes I think the Canadian commentators said they approached him and asked him to coach them, and they train in Montreal.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SoCal Mema said:

Did you see the special piece that NBC ran yesterday about Katarina Gordeva?  The death of Sergei in '95, and their daughter, Daria, talking about how she thinks of him every day and how strong her mom is.  She is 25 now.  It was a very moving story.

In today's edition of "Things that make me feel really old...."

1 hour ago, SoCal Mema said:

No, I did not.  I wonder if it will air again or if it's available to stream on the NBC sports app (your youtube?).

1 hour ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Imagine having to sit next to Barbara Fusar-Poli and then telling her to move after they'd gotten knocked off the podium. 

Yup...that would be a dicey place to be sitting.  And this year?  I wouldn't want to be sitting on the couch next to Hubble/Donohue if another team dares to bump them from gold, silver or bronze (they really don't like bronze, ya know).

Speaking of Barbara F-P, I was just thinking of the O's in Torino that one night when all the ice dancers were having difficulties.  It could have been an episode on one of these reality shows and Babs would be the Queen of Fury.  That truly was a night to remember!

• Love 5

Yep. I remember when she was a little moppet. (I also remember that "Snowden" special featuring her that Scottie H try to make happen.) 

I know it shouldn't be a surprise because she grew up here but it threw me for a little loop when she spoke and she sounded like a typical American young person.

It was moving how affected Scottie and Tanith were by the piece. 

Speaking of Barbara F-P, I was just thinking of the O's in Torino that one night when all the ice dancers were having difficulties.  It could have been an episode on one of these reality shows and Babs would be the Queen of Fury.  That truly was a night to remember!

I remember her Stare of Daggers to her partner when they finished. Even funnier was when the next team started to skate, you could see Barbara storming off in the background (they had very colorful costumes and with her red hair, you couldn't miss her) and her partner sheepishly and safely following from a distance. She was madder than a wet hen.

Edited by Mumbles
  • Love 9

If costume designers insist on using that illusion fabric, you'd think they'd try to get it as close to the skater's skin tone as possible.  That yellow dress on the Russian had these huge, wide shoulder straps in a tone that was way too dark.  It looked awful and made the whole thing look even tackier.  Those costumes are made especially for the skaters, I would think.  Why such awful "illusion"?

• Love 3

The F-P/M drop in the OD was my second favorite moment of the Torino Games after Shizuka winning gold.  I thought for sure as soon as Maurizio dropped Barbara that she would get up, immediately do a roundhouse and slit his throat with her skate, strike her final pose, smile magnificently, and take her bows with him bleeding to death on the ice next to her. I have a fantasy Carol Burnett sequence where Carol is Barbara and Harvey is Maurizio, and exactly that happens.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Do you know what the penalty is if they don’t stay in the assigned waiting area?

Apparently it's called the green room. It doesn't seem that there's any official penalty for not waiting there just like there is no official requirement that skaters sit in the Kiss and Cry area to get their scores. But it is considered bad form if you don't (I once saw a skater who was upset by his skate start to leave the K&C before the score was given. His coach grabbed him by the arm and made him wait. The coach then gave him a tongue lashing after the scores were given). Judges have a long memory about skaters who have a "bad attitude." ( I'm looking at you, Surya Bonaly!)

Edited by Good Queen Jane
because I know the difference between there, their and they're.
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, SoCal Mema said:

I bawled my eyes out. I remembered how much I loved them as a teen and how devestated I was when he died. 

• Love 6

You know I watch Aliona and Robin as well as V/M and remember Boitano, Kwan and Lipinski and can't help but feel that for whatever reason the American skating team except for maybe Nathan Chen just doesn't have that fierce competitiveness that I think is a requirement to get on the podium. Now maybe this is not all bad -- we don;t want Tonya Harding v. 2.0. But would Lebron James or Steph Curry be "cool" just to make the playoffs, or Tom Brady be "cool" with winning division championship? Would Simone Biles have been happy "just to experience the Olympics"? I really wish more of that competitive fire was there.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Can't wait for the other events, although Patrick Chan is going to have to do a lot better than he did in the team event if he wants to medal.

I've seen some beautiful performances, but boy, he really seems to choke lately.  Hope he pulls it off this time.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

You know I watch Aliona and Robin as well as V/M and remember Boitano, Kwan and Lipinski and can't help but feel that for whatever reason the American skating team except for maybe Nathan Chen just doesn't have that fierce competitiveness that I think is a requirement to get on the podium. Now maybe this is not all bad -- we don;t want Tonya Harding v. 2.0. But would Lebron James or Steph Curry be "cool" just to make the playoffs, or Tom Brady be "cool" with winning division championship? Would Simone Biles have been happy "just to experience the Olympics"? I really wish more of that competitive fire was there.

H/D and the Shibs seem hungry for it. And after the team event, I think Mirai is now too—even if she’s an extreme long shot for bronze at best in the that field of competitors.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, backgroundnoise said:

If costume designers insist on using that illusion fabric, you'd think they'd try to get it as close to the skater's skin tone as possible.  That yellow dress on the Russian had these huge, wide shoulder straps in a tone that was way too dark.  It looked awful and made the whole thing look even tackier.  Those costumes are made especially for the skaters, I would think.  Why such awful "illusion"?

The illusion netting is there because the rules include coverage requirements. I believe 50% of a female skater’s body needs to be covered. Illusion fabric isn’t going anywhere as long as that rule is in place.

9 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I disagree Americans don’t have competitive spirit. Ashley and Gracie were very much competitors and both struggled to make the podium at major international events. Adam had to be a committed competitor to make an Olympic team after coming up short for so many years. Same with Marai. I think the talk just being happy to be there comes from knowing they have no shot at the podium. No matter that the Knierims did, they were not going to medal. Same with Adam. Competitive spirit is not going to get them past more consistent skaters with higher start values. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, deaja said:

In today's edition of "Things that make me feel really old...."

Oh heck, I remember being totally into skating for the first time for either the '92 or '94 Olympics. I was completely obsessed with Surya Bonaly's backflip. Did not know until reading this thread today that she's apparently not the nicest.

If someone doesn't have the technical ability to compete with the top contenders, then they know they're not going to make the podium. And honestly, if someone with amazing skills like Aliona/Bruno eff up only to allow a less-skilled pair to medal, sorry, but that is just sad to me. I want the people who have developed comparable skills to be on top.

It was really refreshing as an American to watch the pairs last night. First, because our pairs suck in comparison, so it's nice to see what it's supposed to look like, and second because NBC never shows pairs (though, reasons!)

The men tonight have a number of contenders with the skills to medal, but without a quad, that is not Rippon. He can have all the fire he wants but without the tech skills, it doesn't matter - and unless he's an idiot (which he's not), he knows it.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, selkie said:

Bradie Tennell is a huge 'Spuernatural' fan- has watched every season several times, the music is on all her playlists, etc. 

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/02/14/olympic-figure-skater-bradie-tennell-opens-up-about-her-supernatural-obsession/

Now she's just got to do a 'Carry On Wayward Son' program because you know she's done the choreography for it in her head until it's perfect for the song. 

Of course, as a woman, doing a Supernatural-based program would thematically mean she'd have to die by the skate's end.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

The men tonight have a number of contenders with the skills to medal, but without a quad, that is not Rippon. He can have all the fire he wants but without the tech skills, it doesn't matter - and unless he's an idiot (which he's not), he knows it.

This is one reason it made no sense to me to put him on the team over Miner, who finished 2nd at Nationals. He doesn’t have a quad, and he likely won’t finish anywhere near the podium. Why not reward the one who performed clutch at Nationals?

2 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

If costume designers insist on using that illusion fabric, you'd think they'd try to get it as close to the skater's skin tone as possible.  That yellow dress on the Russian had these huge, wide shoulder straps in a tone that was way too dark.  It looked awful and made the whole thing look even tackier.  Those costumes are made especially for the skaters, I would think.  Why such awful fabric, you'd think they'd try to get it as close to the skater's skin tone as possible.  That yellow dress on the Russian had these huge, wide shoulder straps in a tone that was way too dark.  It looked awful and made the whole thing look even tackier.  Those costumes are made especially for the skaters, I would think.  Why such awful "illusion"?

I HATE illusion fabric. It never looks good. They are not fooling anyone. We know it’s not their skin. If they want or need to be covered, then why not wear normal, non-illusion fabric?

• Love 2

I disagree Americans don’t have competitive spirit. Ashley and Gracie were very much competitors and both struggled to make the podium at major international events. Adam had to be a committed competitor to make an Olympic team after coming up short for so many years. Same with Marai. I think the talk just being happy to be there comes from knowing they have no shot at the podium. No matter that the Knierims did, they were not going to medal. Same with Adam. Competitive spirit is not going to get them past more consistent skaters with higher start values. 

If the US had competitive spirit, WE WOULD HAVE SKATERS WHO COULD COMPETE WITH THE BEST IN THE WORLD!! Jason Brown would have been swept off the ice by other competitors who not only had the technical tool box but also had the RESOLVE TO WIN.  

Remember the US women's gymnastics team back in the 1970s?  We didn't win.  When the Karolyis came to America, they infused discipline and a mental toughness.  No Karolyi gymnast ever had to deal with performance anxiety--if they didn't perform, THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE TEAM.  (Note that I'm aware of the problems with the team doctor--that's another discussion)  They made the team fly to Texas once a month and train as a team.  When you saw what everyone was doing, THAT built your competitive spirit.  The US women were so good in Rio that all six of our women could have been the TOP SIX in the world.

Again, we don't want abusive situations but America does want winners.  Buh-bye, Gracie and Ashley.  If you can't put it out there at EVERY competition, then step aside.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Word. imo, anyone who truly lacks a competitive spirit isn’t going to be at the Olympics to begin with. They’re not going to put up with all the hard work and sacrifice and compromises necessary in other areas of one’s life that are required to get to the Olympics. But there’s also realism that dictates that 99% of Olympic athletes aren’t going to medal. The Opening Ceremonies are THE Olympic moment for 99% of the athletes for precisely that reason. And I just can’t agree that an athlete saying essentially “instead of being unhappy that I got to the Olympics but have no shot to medal, and then be down on myself for not medaling, I’m going to celebrate the achievement of being here to begin with.” Especially when that athlete nearly died before getting to the Olympics, as with the Knierims. 

I mean, look, if competitive fire was all that was necessary to be successful, the NBA would be full of men who are 5 feet tall and MLB populated by guys who can barely hit 70 on the radar gun on a good day. There’s a reason that’s not the case.

• Love 13

There's a difference between having a competitive spirit and being a good competitor. Ashley Wagner, for example, no doubt has a strongly competitive spirit and personality. But (far more often than not) she's NOT a good competitor. Consistently digging yourself a hole in the short program so that you "need" to come back in the long program is not the mark of a good competitor. 

• Love 11

Why are there so many empty seats?!

This happens every Olympics. Official sponsors and IOC execs get allotted a bunch of premium seats which they may or may not use. It looks awful on television because the premium seats are always in the eye of the camera and it looks like nobody is there (while fans huddled in the rafters look on enviously at the empty seats they would have been happy to buy tickets for). At the 2010 Olympics, tickets for the skating event was a hot ticket and they were all sold out in the first offering. Still, there were empty seats because those sponsors/IOC execs couldn't be bothered to fill their seats [shakes fists at the IOC execs - like the gravy train isn't rich enough already].

• Love 5

I give Zhou props for his guts. His quad lutz was impressive. I think he did all quads? I guess the 3Axel doesn't have the value it once had. That's too bad. 

Btw, I love his skating outfit. Finally a guy not wearing one of those horrible one piece jump suits. He looks to wearing pants/jeans and button down shirt. Love it. 

• Love 3
Just now, mtlchick said:

I didn't realize my "little wee Canadian" Jeff Buttle was a choreographer. 

Vincent's opening combo was outstanding.  Too bad the rest of the jumps were a bit messy.

Jeff Buttle is an excellent choreographer! He's done some of the most inventive exhibitions over the last few years :)

• Love 2

Denis Ten does a 3Axel. Yay! I enjoy seeing the guys do this jump.

Not the greatest skate though. Don't think that'll be enough to keep him in contention for a bronze. Nice choreography though. 

Frank Carroll is looking rough. I thought he'd retired?

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I love how Terry is low-key coordinating his outfits with Johnny and Tara.

He's looking so stylish and casual in all black with no tie and the top button undone. Work it Terry. 

• Love 9

Wow. Frank. Call it a career already. 

Eta: it it SO weird to see the Canadian flag next to Keegan Messing's name. That's what I get for stepping away from the sport for a few years. 

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 5