Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

Congrats to Aliona and Bruno! This was a well deserved win!

The Russians off the podium as they should be after that horrible music and performance.

Love that all three podium teams are there together celebrating.

I'm a little bummed about Han/Sui. They're so beautiful, but hopefully they'll come back in 2022 - China and win gold. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 14

Yessssss!!!!! So thrilled for Duhamel/Radford.  I wanted them to win gold but I'm happy they get a medal of any colour.

Congrats to the German pair.  They really deserved it.   Hoping we see the Chinese pair in 4 years.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 5

Congrats to the Germans! I still think that the Chinese pair was the overall best of all the pairs and should have won.

I cannot get over the horror that was the Russians. What the hell were they thinking? From Rachmaninoff to Candy Man? WTF. When I think of all the beautiful Tchaikovksy pieces they could have chosen. Unbelievable! 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1

Their reaction is making me cry. After looking so disappointed yesterday what a performance. 

Sui-Han winning gold in Beijing sounds perfect to me.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, greendog78 said:

Phew they didn't make the podium! Skating while Russian was turned off today!

Not quite, they got higher PCS than the Canadians with that music and nervy performance. 

SO MANY congratulations to Germany, especially Savchenko! I started tearing up just watching their reactions. They were so overcome. Really a beautiful moment.

2 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I like how happy Megan Duhamel is for the Germans. She seems like a genuinely nice person. 

Agreed--she and Eric Radford just shot up majorly in my book for that display of good sportsmanship. That's what the Olympics SHOULD be. Hats off to Duhamel and Radford for that. It made a sweet moment even sweeter.

I'd be okay with Sui/Han 2022 in Beijing.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Wow, no Russian pairs on the podium?!? Their score was really low too. Yea to the judges for calling this right! So happy for the medalists.

Sweet wonderful justice.  More like Skating While Awesome.

• Love 12

They're about to show the medal ceremonies on the NBC app. They appear to have let Aliona and Bruno bring their spouses back stage to celebrate their win. Lots of kisses and hugs between all. And tears. :)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, stealinghome said:

Agreed--she and Eric Radford just shot up majorly in my book for that display of good sportsmanship. That's what the Olympics SHOULD be. Hats off to Duhamel and Radford for that. It made a sweet moment even sweeter.

Between her reaction to Mirai's triple axel and tonight, I have gained a lot of respect for Megan Duhamel. 

• Love 21

Duhamel and Radford have never been my favorite skaters, but Meghan won me over with how happy she has been for everyone else. I’m glad they got bronze.

Savchenko/Massot earned it! They were gorgeous! I know Bruno would never have forgiven himself if that popped jump caused them the gold. Aliona definitely wouldn’t have forgiven him.

I feel bad for Sui and Han. They made only small mistakes, and that’s what did it. Such a small margin! They’ll be back in 2022!

• Love 5

I was cheering for the Chinese and thought they were lovely but thankfully the winning team is a team with a clean skate.  I can't be mad about that.

And it was amazing to see her seemingly unaffected by everyone else's skate but start to break down after the Russians had finished.  What a game face.

• Love 8

Massot looked like he was going to pass out the whole time they were waiting. Huge congrats to them! They deserved it after that stellar routine. How impressive that it was Aliona's fifth Olympics. That is drive! I loved seeing how sweet and supportive the other medalists were, especially Duhamel. 

• Love 9

Loved how happy Duhamel and Radford were for the Germans.  Meghan said "you did it!" to Savchenko and I believe Eric said "I am so happy for you" to Bruno.  Radford initiated the hug with Sui.  Meanwhile, Han is just standing there haha and then finally gives lukewarm hugs.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Enero said:

Well I thought they were about to show the medal ceremony. The coverage just concluded on the app, just when they were about to start the ceremony. :(

I think it's usually the flower ceremony right after the performance and the medals are hours later. I don't get why NBC cuts off their stream before the ceremony. I think they show that sort of thing in the summer for gymnastics.

• Love 3

FYI, Canadian TV is showing the flower (or stuffed animal I guess) ceremony right now. I assume the medals will be given out in the later ceremony.

Aww, the Chinese team looks so disappointed. It must hurt to come second knowing that it was yours to lose.

• Love 1

I like the Chinese team the best too but silver is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm shocked and happy they didn't jack up Russia's score. They can't get away with giving them gold but I was afraid they'll use the excuse that the other teams made mistakes too and award them silver.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 4

So, SO happy for Savchenko/Massot.  Especially Alonia.  And I love Meghan Duhamel for the way she reacted, not just here but also during the team event when Mirai hit her triple axel.

Even happier the Skating While Russian bonus points didn't apply tonight.

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, Enero said:

Well I thought they were about to show the medal ceremony. The coverage just concluded on the app, just when they were about to start the ceremony. :(

I know! Meghan and Eric came out looking adorable, and then nothing. I want to see them all get their stuffed animals. Come on, NBC!

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

I like the Chinese team the best too but silver is nothing to sneeze at.

I'm shocked and happy they didn't jack up Russia's score. They can't get away with giving them gold but I was afraid they'll use the excuse the other teams made mistakes too.

I think this is one of those seemingly rare times where the performance that looked the best to me actually won. There are specific errors as to why the Chinese were second and the Canadians third and the Russians off the podium, so even though I can see that the Chinese pair definitely have a gold medal routine in them and why they were the favorites, it just wasn’t their night. I hope Sui can get some rest and recovery time since it seems she has had injury after injury and come back for Beijing. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 14
15 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Congrats to the Germans! I still think that the Chinese pair was the overall best of all the pairs and should have won.

The Germans were perfect, but they won by the skin of their teeth. I think there were literally only half a point separating them from the Chinese.  If the Chinese only had one mistake on their side by side jumps they likely would've taken the gold, but her hand down on the third jumping pass was a game changer. 

Watching Ben Agosto on Olympic Ice and he looks so different with the clean shaven face and short hair. Kristy Yamaguchi continues to age gracefully. She looks great. 

• Love 5

Hmm ... with Savchenko and Massot ... I sort of wonder whether it is now unequivocally a bad idea to Skate Pairs While Dating Your Coach? Because Aliona tried for so many years but was dating her coach Ingo Steuer. The relationship on-ice between her and Robin always looked somewhat awkward and businesslike. I don't know how close Aliona is to Bruno off the ice but they seem like a real pair on the ice, which is what matters. And it warmed my heart to see them clutching hands waiting for the results. I just think dating your coach while skating is sort of a bad idea and brings an awkward energy to the pair.

14 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I think it's usually the flower ceremony right after the performance and the medals are hours later. I don't get why NBC cuts off their stream before the ceremony. I think they show that sort of thing in the summer for gymnastics.

I think Chris Mazdzer said they give all the medals for all events for the day during one medal ceremony at night.  The stuffed animal thing I think happens at the event site pretty quickly.  So the actual medal ceremony probably won't be for hours.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Enero said:

The Germans were perfect, but they won by the skin of their teeth. I think there were literally only half a point separating them from the Chinese.  If the Chinese only had one mistake on their side by side jumps they likely would've taken the gold, but her hand down on the third jumping pass was a game changer. 

They lost levels on their spins and a lift... Not sure why. Even scoring perfectly one one of them (they had perfect GOE for their lift) would have given them gold. S/M had a perfect LP, but this is the Olympics, Savchenko has a great "story", S/H will have a great "story" for winning on home ice after this...

Not to take away from S/M, but that half a point difference for losing spin and lift levels (when they were being lauded as the best pair team since W17) is a little weird. And it's not like S/M had an insurmountable lead. At all.

Edited by fan94
  • Love 1

I'm glad Savchenko/Massot won because they skated lights out maybe the best performance of their career, and not because they made the least mistakes out of a sloppy field. I was reading Katia Gordeeva's book and she said that Sergei was extremely unhappy at Lillehammer because even though they won the gold he was unhappy at the mistakes he made in the long program. Aliona and Bruno not only have extra hardware, they have a performance to treasure.

• Love 15

One final appreciation I'll give Duhamel and Radford:  they did their full program twice in these Games, as they handled both parts of the team event in addition to the pairs event.

• Love 13

I think the judges got it right (for once) and the finishing order GER/CHN/CAN was correct. The Russian program was such a monstrosity I think it will go down in Olympic history as one of the worst free skates ever. Not because of mistakes, but because of horrible music choice, ugly costumes and embarrassingly bad choreography. Just disastrous all the way around.

• Love 15