Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E05: This Is Not Glamping

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

Not feeling Claudette.  I tend to not dig the *braggy ones.

She's channeling her inner Susan Feniberg

*Sucks when those types win = Braggy Voltaggio

She seems notably humorless as well.

• Love 11

Not taking away from Bruce’s resourcefulness in using the mandolin, but unless the flavor was that much superior over the upside down cake, I felt that Carrie deserved the win.  Bruce succeeded despite the limitations of the challenge, Carrie embraced the challenge fully and made something delicious that only existed and isn’t easily reproducible because of the constraints. 

ITA Fatima is delightful –“she’s got pregnant woman focus!” and I’m always happy to hear from Brother.

I didn’t care for Claudette at the time of her elimination, but asking in all seriousness why there’s so much vitriol (here) towards her now? What am I missing aside from her throwing shade at Ms. Bernardin? Or is it that she's the least pleasant in an otherwise unusually happy, good-hearted bunch of cheftestants? (Although if she’s been mean to Fatima I will join in on the hateration!)

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

Not feeling Claudette.  I tend to not dig the *braggy ones.

That's how I feel about Bruce and his massive ego.  There's nothing wrong with confidence, but a little humility can go a long way.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

Not taking away from Bruce’s resourcefulness in using the mandolin, but unless the flavor was that much superior over the upside down cake, I felt that Carrie deserved the win.  Bruce succeeded despite the limitations of the challenge, Carrie embraced the challenge fully and made something delicious that only existed and isn’t easily reproducible because of the constraints. 

ITA Fatima is delightful –“she’s got pregnant woman focus!” and I’m always happy to hear from Brother.

I didn’t care for Claudette at the time of her elimination, but asking in all seriousness why there’s so much vitriol (here) towards her now? What am I missing aside from her throwing shade at Ms. Bernardin? Or is it that she's the least pleasant in an otherwise unusually happy, good-hearted bunch of cheftestants? (Although if she’s been mean to Fatima I will join in on the hateration!)

I don't see vitriol but rather negative comments on her personality.  There is a difference.  This is a great cast and she does stand apart from them in attitude but she would not appear any less snide in another season.  

8 minutes ago, Brookside said:

That's how I feel about Bruce and his massive ego.  There's nothing wrong with confidence, but a little humility can go a long way.

I saw some humility and a little self deprecation.  He has been bummed and feeling bad about not being able to hit the mark.  He was elated he got back in his groove.

We all take different things away and that is why message boards are fun.    

Edited by Wings
  • Love 10

Forgive me if this topic has already been posted.

I read an article online about a contestant with the last name of Ali, a woman.  She is a part of this season's cast.  She is currently fighting a rare and virulent form of cancer in one shoulder and the bones.  In fact, she just had another round of chemo the day before filming began.  It sounds as if she has had a terribly rough time of it.  I thought that some of you might like to look up cast pictures to see which woman she is.  I'm going to do the same.  If I find one, I will try to post it.

My reaction to this episode was: Wait, what??? and "oh, no!"

Wait, what? because they can actually let two chefs back in? Is Tom one of the producers of the show? He definitely has lots of authorities on this show, it seems.

And oh no! Did Lee Ann have to drop out right after she fought so hard to get back on? That would be so unfortunate. 

Why there is no LCK episode online this week? Is it finished? 

Edited by talktalk
typo

@Lura I think i've seen here was that is Fatima. I don't know the time line of her treatment relative to the show though. 

@talktalk why do you think Lee Ann had to drop out?

I don't know when the "guts" LCK dropped but there will be more as Tu and others get another chance to come back in.

4 hours ago, Wings said:

I am sure they followed the rules of Estes Park.  Take only take pictures and leave only foot prints.  I think they stayed in cabins; there are many to rent.  Judges and crew probably did too.  They have some very fancy rentals from cabins to houses with hot tubs, pools and many amentities.  

Carrie spreading coals on the ground outside a designated fire pit already violated the Leave No Trace rules of backcountry living that you reference. Also, to be picky, Estes Park is a town. It doesn't set the rules for either campgrounds or for Rocky Mountain National Park. I don't think the contestants stayed in cabins. The crew probably did and the judges could have driven up from Denver for judging. It's only about an hour and a half drive. 

7 minutes ago, talktalk said:

Why there is no LCK episode online this week? Is it finished? 

There's only one person, Tu, left in LCK. They have to wait for another person to be eliminated for him to cook against in LCK. It will be back next week.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, dleighg said:

@talktalk why do you think Lee Ann had to drop out?

The preview for next week showing they called an ambulance for Lee Ann and she said something about it is physically challenging to be there competing while pregnant. 

27 minutes ago, Lura said:

I read an article online about a contestant with the last name of Ali, a woman.  She is a part of this season's cast.  She is currently fighting a rare and virulent form of cancer in one shoulder and the bones.  In fact, she just had another round of chemo the day before filming began.  It sounds as if she has had a terribly rough time of it.  I thought that some of you might like to look up cast pictures to see which woman she is.  I'm going to do the same.  If I find one, I will try to post it.

http://www.bravotv.com/the-daily-dish/top-chef-season-15-contestant-fatima-ali-diagnosed-with-cancer

I think the timeline is probably that she started treatment just before the show started airing, not filming.  Someone mentioned uptrend that the snow episode was filmed in early May.  I can't imagine anyone could possibly start a reality the day after chemo.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, Lura said:

I read an article online about a contestant with the last name of Ali, a woman.  She is a part of this season's cast.  She is currently fighting a rare and virulent form of cancer in one shoulder and the bones.  In fact, she just had another round of chemo the day before filming began. 

That's Fatima; a link to an interview with her about her cancer battle is posted in the Cheftestants thread.  Her diagnosis came after filming.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

I totally agree; I was bummed Carrie didn't win. Not only was she scrappier and more inventive in making it, but voluntarily making dessert period is a ballsy move in this show, let alone a cake without an oven. Plus, they all seemed to adore it, and their reaction to just the flavor alone seemed the most glowing of the three on top. Seemingly perfect execution on a more challenging dish in more challenging circumstances should have equaled a win. 

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I agree with the posters who noted that Carrie should have won.  Not only was her desert arguably the best, she did the best within the confines of the rules they were given.  I hate when TC sends someone home for not adhering to the confines of the challenge but then doesn’t give it the cheftant who not just was among the best cooks, but actually did the best 8n terms of the challenge given.

Claudette being back in the mix is not something I want to see.  She still takes no responsibility for her failure the first time around. I wonder whose fault it will be when Claudette is once again asked to do something out of her comfort zone, bombs and gets bounced; perhaps she’ll blame the food.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

2 hours ago, Wings said:

I don't see vitriol but rather negative comments on her personality.  There is a difference.  This is a great cast and she does stand apart from them in attitude but she would not appear any less snide in another season.  

Claudette was also pretty snide on LCK. Her attitude was especially unpleasant because the veterans were really convivial even Jen Carroll, who had a massive attitude during her last go around. Tyler had a bit of an attitude on LCK, but Claudette's dwarfed his.

Furthermore, Claudette hasn't learned that half of the prize of Top Chef is the increased notoriety and press that you receive even if you don't win. No one wants to patronize the restaurant of an asshole. Cliff Crooks had to wait 5 years before he could show his face on tv because he'll always be that hair-shaving asshole. Even an asshole like Blais has his attitude tempered by his nerdery. He's clearly obsessed with food and food science. I don't know if Claudette wants to be on tv in the future, but it's dumb to alienate viewers who might turn into customers based on how they connect to her personality. We don't have taste-o-vision. I can only judge by what I see and hear. I don't know that I want to patronize a restaurant where the chef finds it necessary to be a snide asshole to his or her colleagues/contestants.*

*This is why I'll never go to Ilan's restaurant or Betty's or Elia's. Smug Voltaggio is also this list too.

• Love 12

I don't think it's appropriate for us to say who should have won, given that we didn't try any of the dishes. I thought Carrie was definitely more resourceful but I would rather eat Bruce's dish.

I like Bruce a lot more this episode, he seems like a nice guy and probably the most accomplished chef here. Fatima is still my favorite to watch, the whole camping narrative and several of her lines "poop in my pants" "waking up from a crypt" "pregnant women are the worst" HAHA! But I don't think this camping and snow is the best thing for a pregnant Lee Anne. For some reason Brother really rubs me the wrong way, perhaps it is just me but maybe it's the hand gestures? Chris's amish soul food thing sounds a bit gimmicky to me as well, none of the other chefs are stressing a particular cuisine as much even though they all have their specialties. Actually, Tanya pretty much cooks the same style of food as Chris yet I never hear her talking about it. Joe F has kind of flamed out recently, Mustache Joe seems like a really cool guy IMO.

Tu's dish did not look good, though. Even since the lamb debacle, the judges were just waiting for a chance to send him home.

11 minutes ago, bobbobbob199 said:

I don't think it's appropriate for us to say who should have won, given that we didn't try any of the dishes.

We do this because it is fun to chat about who we wanted to win and why we thought they didn't and why we thought the other guy won and on and on.  :^)  It isn't hurting anyone.  

• Love 8

I'd rather see this sort of gimmick than the you-must-cook-steak-for-700-people-because-some-festival-paid-a-promontional-fee-to-Bravo.  There is more opportunity for creativity when the challenges are smaller scale.

• Love 9

Wow what a cruel and just rude way to treat Kwame in the final last chance kitchen.  Honestly  you could not put him out previously?  You save the last two but NOT him.  I'm sorry but Charlotte should be gone.  Don't care, don't like her, and Kwame is WAY better than her.  I hope she is gone soon.  Sorry for those who love her.  She is rude arrogant, and not that great.  I hops she goes soon.

Attidude and arrogance no where near her level of cooking!  Go Economic Growth!  HAHAHAHAHAHA

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, BalsoSnell said:

I'd rather see this sort of gimmick than the you-must-cook-steak-for-700-people-because-some-festival-paid-a-promontional-fee-to-Bravo. 

Yes, this just seemed like another one of the "cooking outside under primitive conditions" challenges, one of many they've had on Top Chef. . Nowhere near the inanity of the Texas season biathalon challenge - skiing and then shooting the protein out of a block of ice with a rifle. Clearly Carrie's real life experience helped her here (and I agree she really should have won) - I wish the Alaska chef had lasted long enough to do this challenge. 

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Yes, this just seemed like another one of the "cooking outside under primitive conditions" challenges, one of many they've had on Top Chef. . Nowhere near the inanity of the Texas season biathalon challenge - skiing and then shooting the protein out of a block of ice with a rifle. Clearly Carrie's real life experience helped her here (and I agree she really should have won) - I wish the Alaska chef had lasted long enough to do this challenge. 

It would have been hilarious if they'd had to shoot a protein out of a block of ice - imagine the carnage.  (They actually had to ski, shoot a few targets, then chip away at the ice.)

Agree about Carrie and that it would have been fun to have the Alaska woman too.

Hey guys- did you know Lee Ann is pregnant?  I don’t think they've mentioned it. she’s pregnant, FYI. And engaged. And pregnant. 

2 hours ago, Crucial said:

Wow what a cruel and just rude way to treat Kwame in the final last chance kitchen.  Honestly  you could not put him out previously?  You save the last two but NOT him.  I'm sorry but Charlotte should be gone.  Don't care, don't like her, and Kwame is WAY better than her.  I hope she is gone soon.  Sorry for those who love her.  She is rude arrogant, and not that great.  I hops she goes soon.

Attidude and arrogance no where near her level of cooking!  Go Economic Growth!  HAHAHAHAHAHA

Charlotte?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, awaken said:

Hey guys- did you know Lee Ann is pregnant?  I don’t think they've mentioned it. she’s pregnant, FYI. And engaged. And pregnant. 

Lee Ann said it herself on the show, towards the end of the LCK part that they incorporated into the episode. Yes, it was stated. And she was congratulated by some of the other cheftestants. Also, on the preview of the next episode, she is shown prominently to be hurting badly from camping-out-in-the-snow and exerting herself at high altitudes while pregnant.

I think the show should be held liable for her medical difficulties. They must have known she was pregnant, and yet forced her **immediately** on re-entering the show to go on that half-arsed ridiculous physically demanding expedition in the fricking snow which is no more than a f*cking stunt.

9 minutes ago, chiaros said:

Lee Ann said it herself on the show, towards the end of the LCK part that they incorporated into the episode. Yes, it was stated. And she was congratulated by some of the other cheftestants. Also, on the preview of the next episode, she is shown prominently to be hurting badly from camping-out-in-the-snow and exerting herself at high altitudes while pregnant.

Pretty certain the poster was being sarcastic because it was mentioned multiple times.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I saw Bruce on Hell's Kitchen judging with Lachlan, who interestingly was a guest judge on Episode 3 (judging Bruce and others) and on Top Chef Masters. I think Bruce should have gone on Top Chef Masters too, if that still existed...he just seems a little out of place here, though he seems like a nice guy and great chef. It just makes the judging dynamic kind of weird and we always have to wonder whether he is getting judged based on reputation...he knows most of the judges/guest judges and is very well known in the industry. Basically we have a group of older chefs who are well established in the industry (Bruce, Tanya, I guess Lee Anne, and to a lesser extent Chris) and then there are younger up and coming chefs (everyone else).

• Love 3
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

It's probably no less unfair than letting people come back for multiple seasons. Lee Ann's primary job was testing if challenges were feasible. The only leg up that gives her is that she doesn't approach a challenge with a defeatist attitude because she knows a chef like her was checking the challenge to see if it was doable.

I love Lee Ann. I'm glad she's back and I'd love to see her make it to a finale. That said, there is no way she doesn't have an advantage over the others that goes beyond knowing that a challenge is winnable. She spent several seasons behind the scenes and has the benefit of insight into how Padma, Gail, and Tom choose winners and losers that would never be visible to a contestant, no matter how often they competed. She still has to execute and cook great food, but she may approach a challenge in a completely different way knowing what the judges expect. 

Edited by hkit
Autocorrect fail
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I agree with the posters who noted that Carrie should have won.  Not only was her desert arguably the best, she did the best within the confines of the rules they were given.  I hate when TC sends someone home for not adhering to the confines of the challenge but then doesn’t give it the cheftant who not just was among the best cooks, but actually did the best 8n terms of the challenge given.

Claudette being back in the mix is not something I want to see.  She still takes no responsibility for her failure the first time around. I wonder whose fault it will be when Claudette is once again asked to do something out of her comfort zone, bombs and gets bounced; perhaps she’ll blame the food.

The the thing is I think that making fresh pasta, McGyvering you pasta shaper, and creating a delicious and unctuous sauce was better and better within the confines of the rules. Carrie did nothing unique. As she stated her dad had made cake in camp frequently. Moreover a cake in a cup is nothing special. I applaud her resourcefulness and the fact that she didn't give up on baking but what else could she do? Then there is the fact that her cake didn't sound appetizing. I have to confess I can't recall the entire description but there was something that put me off. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Wings said:

Bruce's comment, my back feels great was a nice touch but gave it away that he didn't sleep there though.  :^

He had major surgery (knee or back, or both) before this was filmed, he said it greatly improved his quality of life.

1 hour ago, hkit said:

I love Lee Ann. I'm glad she's back and I'd love to see her make it to a finale. That said, there is no way she doesn't have an advantage over the others that goes beyond knowing that a challenge is winnable. She spent several seasons behind the scenes and has the benefit of insight into how Padma, Gail, and Tom choose winners and losers that would never be visible to a contestant, no matter how often they competed. She still has to execute and cook great food, but she may approach a challenge in a completely different way knowing what the judges expect. 

My point that I probably didn't make super clear is that Lee Ann has the advantages of a returning contestant (Brooke, Jon Tesar, Katsuji, CJ, and Josie), which has helped some, but also never carried many individuals to the win. Additionally, her job at Top Chef provided some advantages, but probably not more than being a former contestant. The primary advantage that her Top Chef job provided her is that she understands how challenges are built and how to hack them. However, all in all, I don't see either of those as insurmountable if the competitor is sufficiently creative.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Pretty sure that was meant as a sarcastic comment after sleeping on the cold ground all night.

Yes, of course. I get that.  I just thought he might have said it to be help them play.the game and toss in a witty remark in the process. 

Edited by Wings
1 hour ago, morakot said:

Tom and co still said it was the best dessert they had eaten in the entire history of Top Chef so I guess the upside down cake was pretty tasty.

Really? I heard Gail say, "I've rarely had a dessert on this show with such nuance and sort of ingenious."  

That's not the same thing.

Did Tom or one of the other judges actually say it was the best dessert they'd eaten in the history of Top Chef?

Just now, Toothbrush said:

Yes, Tom did say that, and said they have had some pretty bad desserts throughout the show. 

I looked but couldn't find it (at least on the Bravo site; I know that sometimes the real-time version and the on-demand version have different bits)

2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Yes, Tom did say that, and said they have had some pretty bad desserts throughout the show. 

I just re-watched the entire episode and Tom never said that, nor did anyone else claim that Carrie's dessert was the best ever in the history of Top Chef. Tom said, "Usually we get lousy desserts and so this was beyond good." And Gail said what I quoted above: "I've rarely had a dessert on this show with such nuance and sort of ingenious."  

Also, re-watching the episode, it looks like Bruce got the win for the overall dish, not just because he used a mandolin to make Cavatelli. If it was a tie for the best between Carrie and Bruce, Bruce's win seems fair.

And also, the Top Chef editors are usually top notch, but Tom's comment to Tu about LCK after his elimination was so blatantly dubbed in that it was laughable.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, hkit said:

I love Leanne and to her credit, I think she could and probably will offer advice to the other chefs about the best way to approach the challenges.   I also think any of the chefs, whom have competed before have an advantage.  Just look at last season’s final three.  

I think Claudette’s arrogance comes off worse than Bruce’s because rather than be humbled by the fact that she was already once eliminated, she’s acting like she’s this bad-ass superior chef.  She does seem to excel at her Mexican dishes, which all sound amazing, but I think she may have some issues when she’s asked to think outside that box ( and I love good Mexican good).  

I don’t believe this this show has jumped the shark.  It consistently gets really good contestants.   It’s highly regarded in the culinary world.  And for the most part the chefs really seem to appreciate each others talents.  The camping episode was a little different, but I loved seeing how a few of them really embraced it.  

• Love 4
On 1/5/2018 at 7:41 AM, Cheerwyn said:

Although I do have to wonder whether there wasn't a lot of production help behind the scenes.  When  they first pull  up to the campsite, it was completely covered by snow.   After a few shots of the chefs trying to clear away so much snow, the cooking area looks much more cleared out than could possibly have been  done with just a few  shovels.   That was even more apparent when the next day there were walking trails carved out between the cooking area and the judges' table.

I have no doubt about this.

Cheftestant: "OK, we cleared enough space for the tents and to cook!"

Production: " Yes, but we need more room for the lighting and space for the camera crew."

Cheftestant: (Hands producer shovel.)

16 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

I was bummed Carrie didn't win. Not only was she scrappier and more inventive in making it, but voluntarily making dessert period is a ballsy move in this show, let alone a cake without an oven.

At altitude no less. 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

I looked but couldn't find it (at least on the Bravo site; I know that sometimes the real-time version and the on-demand version have different bits)

4 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

I just re-watched the entire episode and Tom never said that, nor did anyone else claim that Carrie's dessert was the best ever in the history of Top Chef. Tom said, "Usually we get lousy desserts and so this was beyond good." And Gail said what I quoted above: "I've rarely had a dessert on this show with such nuance and sort of ingenious."  

Could have sworn I heard that, but I stand corrected. 

I think the man reason I'm not a Claudette fan is that chefs who go on and on about "cooking MY food" is a pet peeve of mine in cooking shows. I think it's great for restaurant chefs to have one type of cuisine that they are amazing at, but cooking competitions aren't new. We're in the 15th season of Top Chef and it's no secret that you need to be good at your type of cuisine and 15th century Peruvian vegan cuisine cooked over a candle that features snack cakes as a main ingredient. Certainly these challenges are tough, and some complaining is understandable, but the constant "I would have won if I could have stayed exactly in my comfort zone every single episode" is annoying at best and delusional at worst. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

I think the man reason I'm not a Claudette fan is that chefs who go on and on about "cooking MY food" is a pet peeve of mine in cooking shows. I think it's great for restaurant chefs to have one type of cuisine that they are amazing at, but cooking competitions aren't new. We're in the 15th season of Top Chef and it's no secret that you need to be good at your type of cuisine and 15th century Peruvian vegan cuisine cooked over a candle that features snack cakes as a main ingredient. Certainly these challenges are tough, and some complaining is understandable, but the constant "I would have won if I could have stayed exactly in my comfort zone every single episode" is annoying at best and delusional at worst. 

Yes yes yes.  Mole Bayless and Ilan Eel notwithstanding.  

• Love 2

When they moved into the house, it took Bruce several tries to find an outlet for his CPAC machine.  Did it plug into the car charger for this challenge? 

And I hate that a pregnant woman was also thrown onto the cold.

Cooking outside is one thing, but camping in the cold is not nice.  If Tom and Padma, et al, aren't camping, the cheftestants should be indoors too.

• Love 4