Type keyword(s) to search

The Girls: Are they really that clueless?

• Start Topic

On 11/23/2017 at 9:13 AM, answerphone said:

Girls (actually, everyone on the program). Enough with all the excuses!

Time to grow up ASAP. You created this baby, you chose to deliver and raise this baby.

Good luck to the poor infants who may likely repeat this pattern of life.

Exactly! Mikayla seems to be the most mature of the lot and she still seems like she doesn't have a clue what she's in for. The other two act like they're getting new dollies to dress up. I really hope the mothers and grandparents make them do all the work and don't step into the role of parent. The moment you give birth, your life is no longer about you. The sooner that idea is firmly planted, the better. When you're the parent of a child, you don't even take the time to pee without considering the baby first. Get used to showering at midnight because it's the first moment you've had to yourself all day.

• Love 12

Lily is CLUELESS! When she was sitting on her bed looking at all the clothes she has for her baby, she said something about dressing her little girl like a little princess. I literally said to the TV, "that gets old really fast, chick-a-dee." Little babies don't much like to have their clothes changed. They like to be swaddled and warm. And the laundry.... oy! 

• Love 15

Just caught up with this show and I have to say that Dr. Drew's proclamations that MTV has solved the teenage pregnancy problem don't seem to be coming to fruition.  By the way, the alt right doesn't have to worry about not funding abortions or planned parenthood; appears like a lot of teens STILL manage to have "unexpected" pregnancies.

• Love 5

Lily is just really not that bright. Why does she think eating hotdogs is a pregnancy restriction? And if she really truly believes that boy will marry her, she's just...beyond clueless. He hardly wants to be around her now and it wouldn't surprise me if he only showed up to do stuff for the show.

Lexus is so in love with her boyfriend she's going to let him call most of the shots as they parent which is unfortunate because he knows next to nothing about damn near everything he talks about. I can say I applaud him for being there, unlike James, but it might turn out to be worse that he stuck around.

Mikayla does seem more mature than either of the other two but her mother...Lord help. 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Lily is just really not that bright. Why does she think eating hotdogs is a pregnancy restriction? And if she really truly believes that boy will marry her, she's just...beyond clueless. He hardly wants to be around her now and it wouldn't surprise me if he only showed up to do stuff for the show.

Lexus is so in love with her boyfriend she's going to let him call most of the shots as they parent which is unfortunate because he knows next to nothing about damn near everything he talks about. I can say I applaud him for being there, unlike James, but it might turn out to be worse that he stuck around.

Mikayla does seem more mature than either of the other two but her mother...Lord help. 

She's been getting a pretty good portrayal so far because much of her story's focus has been on her mother and her boyfriend's mother, but I think McKayla is going to start to show her true colors next week.  Caelan too.  Based on the previews, she is telling her grandfather that Caelan is going to spend the night and the grandfather balks at the idea.  These chicks are so damn entitled.  Who is she to tell someone in their own damn home that the loser boyfriend is going to spend the night?  And then, if the previews are to be believed, she also tells the grandfather that he "better get used to it."  The gall.  I hope he puts his foot down and tells them to get their own space to play house in.  

Also, during one of the commercials for the online content for this show, McKayla's grandfather says something about Caelan needing to get a job.  Maybe Shelley should be more concerned about that rather than what Shannon is or isn't doing.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Because of listeria and nitrates they are often put on the don't eat list.

This. In fact, when I was pregnant in the paleolithic era (Little Snappy is 27) my job had me at the local minor league ballpark for every home game from April until September (finished up two weeks before she was born) and the "free meal" we got as reporters consisted of hot dogs and soda. Mr. Snappy had already banned hot dogs from my diet because of the nitrates and soda because of the caffeine. Luckily, the guy who ran the concession stand took pity on me and tweaked the rules to give me a burger and lemonade every night. 

• Love 6

I feel a bit sorry for Lily at this point because she seems kind of emotionally stunted. Her siblings seemed okay & are older than her, so she's not the teen pregnancy her mom had. I wonder what the deal is there.

I agree her parents should be preparing her for life without James & single parenting. James is not interested & from seeing what's going on with Lexus she's probably better off letting him go, because he has a bad attitude as well. They're doing her no favors stringing along an idea that there's a future for Lily with him. Just let him go & help her accept it.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 8

I'm still not over the fact that Lexus IS NAMED LEXUS. I know her mama was 15, but I picked better names for my dolls when I was 5: Julie and Liza. Somehow, at 5, I knew that they should have names that would allow them to have careers in adult society. Naming your kid after a fancy car you'll never get to buy is freaking tragic.

• Love 14

One thing that the show never ever touched upon is the question of whether these girls were ever encouraged to think about the future. We’re they ever encouraged to do school activities?  I don’t remember either one of them saying that they were in a club or played a sport or had a hobby.  Were they ever encourage to think about life after h.s.? Going to community or four-year college? Dream about having a career? Getting their first apartment on their own? Where they encouraged to think about their first job? Or traveling once they graduated?

They all seem resigned to being a stay at home moms with kids.  Which is fine if you have a partner who is willing to support you in that, but none of these girls have that.  

Lily seems relieved to be pregnant because now she actually has something to do and a role to play in life. She’s a mommy with a baby so now she’s done making life decisions.

• Love 7

I learned about this show the other day in one of the Teen Mom threads. I love it and have binged on it over two days. None of the girls bother me, I like the parents and grandparents (Granddad Tim is my fave), and two of the three boyfriends seem like good kids, too.

Will there be another season? Any news?

• Love 3
(edited)
On 3/30/2018 at 5:00 PM, LilaFowler said:

I learned about this show the other day in one of the Teen Mom threads. I love it and have binged on it over two days. None of the girls bother me, I like the parents and grandparents (Granddad Tim is my fave), and two of the three boyfriends seem like good kids, too.

Will there be another season? Any news?

Same! Found the show and binge watched over the past two days. I don't want to put my thoughts in the episode threads because they are so old now but I will say that I hate Shannon and see her as a total user. Not crazy about Mikalya either. She's very robotic and her lack of appreciation at the shower did it for me. It makes me crazy when people go all out for something and the recipient shows no signs of being grateful. 

As for the couples, I was not rooting for any of them. James made it very clear who is boss in that relationship and combined with his expertise in every single thing, Lilly has nothing to look forward to there.

Mikalya and Caelan: Run, Caelan run. Everyone in those families is too involved in everyone else's shit.

Lexus and Shayden: I got the vibe that it's an abusive relationship and Lexus needs to break away. Her mother witnessed this kid's rage in her own house and should have put him out immediately and for good. When Lexus said "I am his rock. I am all that he has," I immediately thought of physical abuse. First comes terrible treatment and then the sobby apology to let her know she is all he has. 

What I really came to post though is that In Touch had an article two days ago that the new show starts in early August and there would be three new girls. There is a trailer. Looks like more winners are on the way. Lexus and Mikayla will be returning in addition to those three girls but Lilly will not. No idea if that was her choice or TLC. Here is a link to the article and trailer:

In Touch on New Season and Trailer

Oh, and for those of you like me who go nuts at names that are normal names but spelled differently so snowflake can be original, this new season will have and Emiley and a Tylor.

Edited by configdotsys
Added the final paragraph. And washer is not the same thing as 'was her'
  • Love 4
On 7/15/2018 at 11:11 AM, gonecrackers said:

They need to stop doing these shows. I think it just encourages young fame whores.

I agree. I think they should have left MTV's 16 and Pregnant and TLC's Unexpected to stand on their own: a one hour show about how difficult it is to have a baby as a teen with the final minute being a TH or a confessional or whatever and then ::poof:: go the participants. Maybe a follow up Where are they now? in a year but that's all. 

• Love 3
On 7/15/2018 at 10:11 AM, gonecrackers said:

They need to stop doing these shows. I think it just encourages young fame whores.

I am with you - this would have been all the birth control I needed in high school (not that I needed it, lol) as life just seems so BLEAK not just for the moms but for the little babies.

• Love 5

One of the new girls, she made me wonder how kids can get this screwed up.  The blonde one, she and her boyfriend said they didn't use BC because they didn't want to spend the money.  This shows me no adult has ever discussed pregnancy with her.  Then her sister said she no longer looks up to her and hates how she (pregnant one) acts like all the attention should be on her.  Then pregnant teen says, "I love the attention I get from being pregnant, being pregnant is cute".  I almost threw the remote.  Where the hell are these parents?

• Love 8
(edited)

I can't figure out how to post an episode topic here for Season 2, Episode One. The option doesn't show up when I click New Topic for some reason. Can someone else with the option create it and I will move my comments to the episode thread?

Below are my thoughts about the first episode which was sandwiched in the middle of a 3 hour broadcast of the Tell All show for 90 day Fiance for some reason. 

Spoiler

I see we have another bunch of winners for this season. I'm sorry but there is a certain amount of satisfaction that I get from seeing these teens all giddy and saying how everything is going to be easy and fine like they know it all and then they are bawling crying because everything is so hard. The cheerleader with Diego already rubs me the wrong way.

Diego is a real prize. Yeah, Max. You'll be millionaires in a few years because you learned how to save money at 18 with an infant at home. Can't wait to see the mansion. Mikalya is a bitch. Straight up. Taking the grandkid away from the grands is bullshit. They did everything for her. She's a selfish bitch. Just wait until Mom-- who will get more airtime with Mikala living with her-- can't pay the rent. 

Lexus: What is there today except Shayden has to be one of the most homely people I have ever seen.

Edited by configdotsys
Left out a word. Added spoiler tags
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

When is the new one airing?  Did I miss the first episode?

ETA:  I guess it's the shorts I found on TLC's website...

The full episode is on their site but it did air on TV because I have it on my DVR. Bizarro.

I have no idea what is up with TLC. The other day I recorded what I thought was the second part of the tell all when Pedro and Chantel's parents were on but instead it recorded the first hour. Then they went to commercial and instead of coming back to this show, a full episode of the new season of Unexpected came on. 

Today I woke up to a recording of Part 2 with Pedro and the parents and it said it was three hours long. I was sewing while watching and when that show ended an hour later, the Azan/Danielle show came on. The program guide here is listing all of these things as the 1st part of the tell all but that is not necessarily what is being recorded. It is so odd. 

I added spoiler tags to my previous post on the Unexpected episode so it doesn't ruin the first episode for everyone else. Sorry to anyone who read it and feels spoiled.

Edited by configdotsys
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The full episode is on their site but it did air on TV because I have it on my DVR. Bizarro.

I have no idea what is up with TLC. The other day I recorded what I thought was the second part of the tell all when Pedro and Chantel's parents were on but instead it recorded the first hour. Then they went to commercial and instead of coming back to this show, a full episode of the new season of Unexpected came on. 

Today I woke up to a recording of Part 2 with Pedro and the parents and it said it was three hours long. I was sewing while watching and when that show ended an hour later, the Azan/Danielle show came on. The program guide here is listing all of these things as the 1st part of the tell all but that is not necessarily what is being recorded. It is so odd. 

I added spoiler tags to my previous post on the Unexpected episode so it doesn't ruin the first episode for everyone else. Sorry to anyone who read it and feels spoiled.

that's so weird!!!  Everyone was talking about the ep so I searched on my DVR but all I saw was that it was set to air Sunday. Nothing On Demand.  #FOMO

My DVR picked it up because it was special previews introducing the girls, but the recordings were only 1 minute long.  Was yours the actual episode, or possibly just the minute long intros?

1 hour ago, ShaNaeNae said:

My DVR picked it up because it was special previews introducing the girls, but the recordings were only 1 minute long.  Was yours the actual episode, or possibly just the minute long intros?

I got a full episode. The ep is now available on the TLC site. It's odd because it says on the site "Watch it now before it's on television" or something but it was broadcast in the middle of a 90 Day Fiance tell all. It was without fanfare that it came on: no program guide listing or any commercials during all the 90 Day shows about "Tune in early to see the first episode...."

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I got a full episode. The ep is now available on the TLC site. It's odd because it says on the site "Watch it now before it's on television" or something but it was broadcast in the middle of a 90 Day Fiance tell all. It was without fanfare that it came on: no program guide listing or any commercials during all the 90 Day shows about "Tune in early to see the first episode...."

Yeah, that's just weird. 

On 7/30/2018 at 3:51 PM, configdotsys said:

I can't figure out how to post an episode topic here for Season 2, Episode One. The option doesn't show up when I click New Topic for some reason. Can someone else with the option create it and I will move my comments to the episode thread?

Below are my thoughts about the first episode which was sandwiched in the middle of a 3 hour broadcast of the Tell All show for 90 day Fiance for some reason. 

Reveal hidden contents

I see we have another bunch of winners for this season. I'm sorry but there is a certain amount of satisfaction that I get from seeing these teens all giddy and saying how everything is going to be easy and fine like they know it all and then they are bawling crying because everything is so hard. The cheerleader with Diego already rubs me the wrong way.

Diego is a real prize. Yeah, Max. You'll be millionaires in a few years because you learned how to save money at 18 with an infant at home. Can't wait to see the mansion. Mikalya is a bitch. Straight up. Taking the grandkid away from the grands is bullshit. They did everything for her. She's a selfish bitch. Just wait until Mom-- who will get more airtime with Mikala living with her-- can't pay the rent. 

Lexus: What is there today except Shayden has to be one of the most homely people I have ever seen.

I was able to create a topic for Season 2, Episode 1.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LilaFowler said:

I thought Emily was 15 (16 tops) until I actually paid attention to the text on the screen: she's 18?! She is so simple, poor thing. She acts like she was dropped on her head or something.

It was painful to watch Emily try to articulate a simple sentence. Then the sagacious insight shared by one of her friends, "I don't want him [Diego] to be like a teenage boy one day and a dad the next day."  Has no one let her in on the secret that Diego is, in fact, a teenaged boy?  

Then there is Emily trying to express in fifty different ways just why it isn't OK for a guy to treat a girl like that, meaning the way he treated her or treats her. It just isn't OK, and, like, she just doesn't want her daughter to think it's OK to be treated like that by a guy.  

Edited by StayingAfterSunday
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, StayingAfterSunday said:

Then there is Emily trying to express in fifty different ways just why it isn't OK for a guy to treat a girl like that, meaning the way he treated her or treats her. It just isn't OK, and, like, she just doesn't want her daughter to think it's OK to be treated like that by a guy.  

I couldn't believe that.  If you don't want your daughter to think it's okay to be treated like that by a guy, how about not letting YOU get treated like that by a guy? 

I thought last year's batch was stupid, but the newbies this season are really taking the cake. 

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

That was one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in a long time. 

When I heard them say that I thought  - really?  Condoms are how much?  A clinic in your neighborhood charges how much on a sliding scale?

• Love 6

Watching the latest ep...the couple who sneering refused to pay for birth control, they just need to give the stupid girl a couple months and kick her out.

I never did anything like get pregnant, but once I had my college degree, my parents gave me a three-month graduated cutoff, financially. So I figured it out.

Not one of these teenage boys has any common sense. They're either delusional about the "perfect little family" they're creating, or a standoff-ish asshole who wants to play like a little kid while these girls do all of the work.

On the other hand, these girls are almost as clueless- they have zero sense of how to communicate in an adult relationship, and come off as clingy, needy, and totally unaware of how much work and responsibility a baby is or will be. 

• Love 4

I think Diego seems to be learning impaired or on the spectrum maybe. He seems lost in his own head and has so much trouble relating in a normal way. Most of these kids seem slow or just not very bright, sad commentary on public schools if this is typical for 16yo.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

I think Diego seems to be learning impaired or on the spectrum maybe. He seems lost in his own head and has so much trouble relating in a normal way. Most of these kids seem slow or just not very bright, sad commentary on public schools if this is typical for 16yo.

Sped teacher here - Diego does have a few issues but learning impaired or spectrum-ish are not the problems,  He suffers from what I call "Last Word-itis."  Gotta have that last word, asshet.  He also suffers from a severe case of "Never Been Told No" from his parents.  Emiely (sp?) is all "Oh he is such a sweetie with me!" Yeah, when you are buck naked and he is about to get his rocks off I am sure he is very complimentary, missy.

I have worked with A LOT of parents like Diego's:  "My son has a learning disability!"  No, ma'am, your son is a jerk.  I feel no pity for those parents,when they approach me when their son is now 15, 16:  If you had listened to his coaches, tutors, neighborhood parents, TEACHERS, etc back when your little prince was little that your son had behavior problems and throws rocks at stray dogs* this could have been avoided.

*=Not saying Diego did this, just going for a moment.

• Love 12
30 minutes ago, CalicoskiesNC said:

I'm sorry, but it isn't any commentary on the public schools.  These kids didn't get this way from their schools.  The 16 year old public school students I know are stressed beyond belief trying to get As in a full course load of AP and honors classes while playing sports and doing a bunch of other extracurricular and leadership activities so they can get to college.  Add on that trying to get enough sleep, have a little social life, figure out what they want to do for a career, and maybe try to have a part-time job.  

• Love 7

These kids are the result of dumb parents, enabling parents, or dumb enabling parents.  Juat like they refuse to tell the kids no now (no, I will not support you, your boyfriend and your kid; no he cannot come over again), they didn’t say no when they were young either.  Those kids have been the center of their parents’ universe and home, and not in a good way, so they tiptoe around them so they don’t upset them.  

Maybe it’s because I’m older, but I don’t remember having that kind of control. My parents weren’t abusive, but I can assure you they didn’t give a shit if they upset me when they were making sound parenting decisons for the family’s safety, health and future. 

The girls should be in for a rude awakening, but probably not because the parents will just fix it for them like always. I kind of enjoy segments where Kelsey gets on Lexus, Kim makes Diego uncomfortable, McKayla has to consider someone else’s feelings or Chloe can’t get her way. It’s not that I’m sadistic, but this is real life teen parenting. It’s not supposed to be easy, fun or comfortable.  How else will they learn not to do it again, and hopefully break the cycle without some growing pains?  

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

These kids are the result of dumb parents, enabling parents, or dumb enabling parents.  Juat like they refuse to tell the kids no now (no, I will not support you, your boyfriend and your kid; no he cannot come over again), they didn’t say no when they were young either.  Those kids have been the center of their parents’ universe and home, and not in a good way, so they tiptoe around them so they don’t upset them.  

Maybe it’s because I’m older, but I don’t remember having that kind of control. My parents weren’t abusive, but I can assure you they didn’t give a shit if they upset me when they were making sound parenting decisons for the family’s safety, health and future. 

The girls should be in for a rude awakening, but probably not because the parents will just fix it for them like always. I kind of enjoy segments where Kelsey gets on Lexus, Kim makes Diego uncomfortable, McKayla has to consider someone else’s feelings or Chloe can’t get her way. It’s not that I’m sadistic, but this is real life teen parenting. It’s not supposed to be easy, fun or comfortable.  How else will they learn not to do it again, and hopefully break the cycle without some growing pains?  

I am 53 and my parents were kind, loving people who never laid a hand on me in terms of corporal punishment but THEY RAN THE SHOW, especially my dad.  You are upset?  Go cry.  You want ice cream for dinner?  Try again.  You WILL tow the line, it is OUR HOUSE and OUR MORTGAGE, thanks for asking.  If I (or my sibs) were upset, they sat in the backyard, having a cigarette (it WAS the 70's) and a cocktail and really were not bothered by their youngest having angst.

Chloe bugs me the most - her crying is just......just buck it up, girl.  You don't know what you are doing, just admit it.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:43 AM, CalicoskiesNC said:

sad commentary on public schools if this is typical for 16yo.

No, most 16 yr old kids are respectful of adults, are working hard at grades, sports and other activities.  It has nothing to do with public schools, it has everything to with parenting.  Like I have said before, parents need to be PLUGGED INTO THE KID'S LIVES.  You can be 2000 miles away and be present.  

The 80's to me, became VERY child-centric and it went too far and stayed there.  Upset kid?  Let's talk it out, let's interface a solution.  No, let's go back to 1974 when you got punished, lol.  Not with force but you felt it.

• Love 9