Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

She also talks about executive producers bullying her. Isn’t Nathan one of the EPs? 

I think if Nathan was involved she would have named him.   She is going after Hawley.  Have no idea what, if anything NF's role was.   She doesn't seem to be going after him.   I have a feeling he's an EP in name only and Union roles say she has to go through the Showrunner.  JMO.

• Love 1

It's Over.

Wow.  Just Wow.

My head is spinning about how fast this all happened.  Word-Less.

gations-racism-sexual-misconduct-1202661122/comment-page-1/?unapproved=2582214&moderation-hash=0c4b44956b0abbf096bb131d8bd48875

57 minutes ago, break21 said:

I think if Nathan was involved she would have named him.   She is going after Hawley.  Have no idea what, if anything NF's role was.   She doesn't seem to be going after him.   I have a feeling he's an EP in name only and Union roles say she has to go through the Showrunner.  JMO.

She is saying executive producers. So it’s more than one or maybe all? They need to clarify if Nathan is involved or not. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, break21 said:

It's Over.

Wow.  Just Wow.

My head is spinning about how fast this all happened.  Word-Less.

gations-racism-sexual-misconduct-1202661122/comment-page-1/?unapproved=2582214&moderation-hash=0c4b44956b0abbf096bb131d8bd48875

Bad link. Just letting you know!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, newyawk said:

That sucks. She was to me, the ONLY interesting character and the best actor on the show. 

I wonder if the recurring guest star is the guy that plays Nathan's rich friend and landlord on the show.

The best guess I saw in the AV Club comments section was the guy who played Rookie West's dad.

16 hours ago, newyawk said:

Crazy Days and Nights has a blind for this. Someone narrowed it down to Shawn Ashmore (Lopez's uptight lawyer boyfriend).

2 hours ago, newyawk said:

Or, just as likely, NOT Shawn Ashmore (just based on this article).  But regardless of who the perpetrators were, were there also silent bystanders? Especially those who could afford to speak up?

ETA: Guest stars who would not have tolerated such behavior and who would have called it out were less likely to have been on set when it occurred (unless it happened all the time).

Edited by shapeshifter

This is very unfortunate.  I thought Afton and Bishop was one of the strongest actors/characters on the show.  I enjoyed her relationship with Nolan the most.  A big loss for the show.  And of course it is very wrong if Afton was subjected to inappropriate/unlawful behaviour in a work environment.  However, if something as serious as sexual assault really happened (her words), I think it is something that should be taken to the police or any other authority where there can be a proper investigation rather than trial by instagram.  The internet playing judge, jury and executioner isn't fair to all parties concerned imo, when we don't actually know anything beyond a general allegation from one party.  We don't know anything about any actual incidents, actual words and behavior, the context, any witnesses (surely there would be others in the hair and makeup trailer and at the wrap party) etc. etc.  I personally am not comfortable with throwing people under the bus as we do in this internet age when we don't know any of that. 

It does sound like Hawley handled the complaint very poorly when he didn't refer it to HR. Whether (he thought) the allegation had merit or not would be for HR to determine but he at least had the obligation to report.  Could Afton herself have gone straight to HR to get it addressed?

And FWIW, I do remember Nathan's Firefly colleagues sharing a story of how he stepped in when a male guest star was inappropriate with a female cast member.  Before people cast stones, remember we don't know what anyone knew what when and what actually occurred.

• Love 7
On 8/4/2019 at 8:40 AM, wknt3 said:

This isn't really a comparable situation. There was nothing public and it wasn't the series lead engaging in the bad behavior.

The showrunner was behaving in a deplorable (and possibly criminal) manner 

17 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

TV Line just posted another article: Production Studio to investigate sexual harassment and racial bullying. Too bad it took Williamson going public to do it.

They're doing this after she already quit and any action they take won't benefit her at all.  So very wrong.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They're doing this after she already quit and any action they take won't benefit her at all.  So very wrong.

Having left the show should make it psychologically and emotionally easier to follow through with the legal wrangling than if she was still under contract. Fortunately she's already done a couple of other projects since season 1 wrapped
— kind of like how I'd feel a little less awkward seeing my ex and his wife at my daughter's wedding if I had my own boo. 😉

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, madmaverick said:

However, if something as serious as sexual assault really happened (her words), I think it is something that should be taken to the police or any other authority where there can be a proper investigation rather than trial by instagram. 

It depends on what the sexual assault was.  People tend to jump to thinking that it's something as serious as rape but things like groping/sexual touching are also considered sexual assault. And there aren't many busy police departments who would take that kind of assault seriously, especially if it takes place between people who know each other at a party or where there's drinking. And sexual harassment, like saying rude comments or asking out a castmate repeatedly isn't against the law.

It sounds like she blames the show runner the most. 

10 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I do hope that does not put the kibosh on her acting career.

I fear that she's going to be labeled as "difficult".

2 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

As she should.  He's in charge and has a legal duty to report alleged offenses.  He can almost certainly be sued in civil court even if he committed no criminal act.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Deadline says she posted an instagram and named 2 people who she claims harassed her. . All I get it a hand with a butterfly ring. 

This entire thing could take a very different turn.  That was just odd.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, break21 said:

Deadline says she posted an instagram and named 2 people who she claims harassed her. . All I get it a hand with a butterfly ring. 

This entire thing could take a very different turn.  That was just odd.

Do you not see the her IG statement under that pic in my previous post?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Do you not see the her IG statement under that pic in my previous post?

No - please re-post or summarize.

1 minute ago, break21 said:

Saw it - it was absolutely bizarre.  Wow.   She needs help.  This did take a turn.

7 hours ago, break21 said:

Saw it - it was absolutely bizarre.  Wow.   She needs help.  This did take a turn.

I don't see anything bizarre about her Instagram post that would indicate she needs help. It would appear Afton is quite emotional from the outpouring of support from fans. That's understandable. She also appears to be a spiritual person. Good for her if she can draw strength from her faith.

The only thing I find disturbing, albeit unsurprising, about all this is that we still have a show runner who is too stupid or too arrogant or too uncaring or too something to do the right thing when Afton came to him with a complaint.

• Love 21
34 minutes ago, orza said:

I don't see anything bizarre about her Instagram post that would indicate she needs help. It would appear Afton is quite emotional from the outpouring of support from fans. That's understandable. She also appears to be a spiritual person. Good for her if she can draw strength from her faith.

The only thing I find disturbing, albeit unsurprising, about all this is that we still have a show runner who is too stupid or too arrogant or too uncaring or too something to do the right thing when Afton came to him with a complaint.

She apparently fired her agency.   I don't know.  It just seems like a very strange post.  But that's just me.  Make of it what you will.

3 hours ago, break21 said:

She apparently fired her agency.   I don't know.  It just seems like a very strange post.  But that's just me.  Make of it what you will.

I don't see in her post or any of the articles where she fired her agency. 

22 minutes ago, Badsamaritan said:

I read it in this THR article. Maybe she felt they weren't representing her pov or her best interests.

15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

It depends on what the sexual assault was.  People tend to jump to thinking that it's something as serious as rape but things like groping/sexual touching are also considered sexual assault.

And there aren't many busy police departments who would take that kind of assault seriously, especially if it takes place between people who know each other at a party or where there's drinking. And sexual harassment, like saying rude comments or asking out a castmate repeatedly isn't against the law.

Yes, as a lawyer I understand that.  Sexual assault (at least in my jurisdiction) is when a person intentionally touches another person in a sexual way without the other's consent, and the person touching does not reasonably believe the other consents. 

Yes, the criminal justice system has many shortcomings when it comes to dealing with sexual offences.  But I believe it is important to report if you do believe you have been the victim of one.  

I just feel serious allegations need to be properly investigated for there to be due process.

It sounds like eOne appointed an independent third party to investigate.  Better late than never, I guess.  But I am confused as to how it seems the hairdresser accused of sexual assault/racial discrimination was fired even before the investigation is complete?  Also, I note that the hair department head seems to be a woman, though of course you can also have same sex sexual assault.  Or even without the sexual component, something can be simply assault.  If it allegedly took place at a wrap party (and the other stuff in the hair trailer), you would think there would be witnesses and it would not be just a case of (s)he said, she said. 

I don't know why Hawley failed to report to HR per procedure.  Maybe he thought he could take action to mediate or resolve it himself as showrunner (did he do anything?), maybe he feared any allegations would affect the show's renewal, maybe he thought it wasn't important and just tried to placate Afton.  Who knows.  But in any case, he seems to have handled the issue poorly. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

I read it in this THR article. Maybe she felt they weren't representing her pov or her best interests.

Yes, as a lawyer I understand that.  Sexual assault (at least in my jurisdiction) is when a person intentionally touches another person in a sexual way without the other's consent, and the person touching does not reasonably believe the other consents. 

Yes, the criminal justice system has many shortcomings when it comes to dealing with sexual offences.  But I believe it is important to report if you do believe you have been the victim of one.  

I just feel serious allegations need to be properly investigated for there to be due process.

It sounds like eOne appointed an independent third party to investigate.  Better late than never, I guess.  But I am confused as to how it seems the hairdresser accused of sexual assault/racial discrimination was fired even before the investigation is complete?  Also, I note that the hair department head seems to be a woman, though of course you can also have same sex sexual assault.  Or even without the sexual component, something can be simply assault.  If it allegedly took place at a wrap party (and the other stuff in the hair trailer), you would think there would be witnesses and it would not be just a case of (s)he said, she said. 

I don't know why Hawley failed to report to HR per procedure.  Maybe he thought he could take action to mediate or resolve it himself as showrunner (did he do anything?), maybe he feared any allegations would affect the show's renewal, maybe he thought it wasn't important and just tried to placate Afton.  Who knows.  But in any case, he seems to have handled the issue poorly. 

If true,, Hawley definitely dropped the ball.  Having said that, her latest statement was crazy.  No lawyer (I'm in law too - legal assistant - not a lawyer) would have let her publish that.   She opened herself up to defamation charges.  If you are going to go public, make it short, sweet.  The God stuff just makes her look unhinged. You can't publically charge someone with sexual harassment and talk about loaves of bread.   I can believe she dumped her PR team.  No way they would have let that statement out.

The crazy keeps coming with this story.  Doubt we'll know the truth until the investigation concludes.  This is nuts.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, break21 said:

If true,, Hawley definitely dropped the ball.  Having said that, her latest statement was crazy.  No lawyer (I'm in law too - legal assistant - not a lawyer) would have let her publish that.   She opened herself up to defamation charges.  If you are going to go public, make it short, sweet.  The God stuff just makes her look unhinged. You can't publically charge someone with sexual harassment and talk about loaves of bread.   I can believe she dumped her PR team.  No way they would have let that statement out.

The crazy keeps coming with this story.  Doubt we'll know the truth until the investigation concludes.  This is nuts.

I didn't find her latest instagram post problematic.  She is entitled to express her feelings and reference her faith as she wishes.  If it were a victim impact statement in court, it's a perfectly valid one.  But again, we know no details of the allegations involved, so I'm not drawing conclusions about the guilt or innocence of any party.

• Love 3

Legally, maybe it was unwise of Ms. Williamson to post something lengthy. But I see nothing "crazy" in her postings nor so I see any evidence that she "needs help". She is emotional. I think anyone in her position would be.

Now putting on my mod hat here. I am asking for such commentary to take a breather. Feel free to discuss what comes but I think it may be best to keep it in context to what is posted as this can go south otherwise rather quickly.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Badsamaritan said:
3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

From the article:

Sources tell THR that Williamson has fired her entire representation team, including her agents Gersh. [emphasis mine]

Ah, the ever-reliable "sources"...  The same ones who label any actress who dares complain about abuse as "difficult".  This is noted and dismissed.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, break21 said:

5 hours ago, madmaverick said:

That is quite likely. There are two possibilities, which are not mutually exclusive. One is that she felt that they did not do an adequate job in following up and ensure that her complaints were being properly handled. The other involves the process known as "packaging" in which shows are sold based upon a producer/showrunner and a star being put together as a package and sold in advance based upon business instead of creative concerns, which is controversial for a number of reasons (the writers have been most active and have threatened to strike over this, but a lot of actors, directors, etc. don't like it either) one of which is that agencies often receive a fee and/or profit participation as part of the overall deal and so are more concerned with the series' success rather than their clients' best interests. A quick bit of Googling shows that a number of the cast members share the same agency as her including the first announced co-leads so it is possible that they were part of the "package". If I was being assured that things were being taken care of and found out they had been swept under the rug while the people who are supposed to be representing me were taking money from the management that was ignoring the abuse I would be pissed, maybe not believe that they were in the dark too, and consider firing them as well. While we don't know for certain what the contractual relationships between the parties are it's a definite possibility, maybe even a probability, given what we do know.

Edited by wknt3
fixed typos and cleaned up phrasing
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Legally, maybe it was unwise of Ms. Williamson to post something lengthy. But I see nothing "crazy" in her postings nor so I see any evidence that she "needs help". She is emotional. I think anyone in her position would be.

Now putting on my mod hat here. I am asking for such commentary to take a breather. Feel free to discuss what comes but I think it may be best to keep it in context to what is posted as this can go south otherwise rather quickly.

I apologize if I was out of line.  I do legal everyday and I can see a lot of red flags in her last post.  I was off the board for a long-time.  I will go off again. I apologize and I will show myself to the door.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, break21 said:

I apologize if I was out of line.  I do legal everyday and I can see a lot of red flags in her last post.  I was off the board for a long-time.  I will go off again. I apologize and I will show myself to the door.

No need! We all have opinions. I just think - in such a case as this - it is better to go all Joe Friday and "just the facts" rather than assume issues that may - or may not - exist. Lord knows what has spilled out already is a mess.

Wonder if ABC regrets renewing now?

• Love 4
8 hours ago, madmaverick said:

It sounds like eOne appointed an independent third party to investigate.  Better late than never, I guess.  But I am confused as to how it seems the hairdresser accused of sexual assault/racial discrimination was fired even before the investigation is complete?  

It sounds like the hairdresser was fired after the assault at the wrap party.  My guess is that whatever happened at that wrap party was clear cut and there were witnesses. An investigation wouldn't be needed before firing her in that case.

The current investigations might be looking into the claims of sexual harassment by the recurring guest star and, I suspect, how Hawley handled the official complaints. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

From what I have read about Ali Larter's upcoming character, it is said she has a past with John Nolan. Another says she knew him in "his past life". Could she be the ex-wife, I wonder? (Probably not. Just a thought!)

51 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Speaking of the dangers of baseless speculation about the mess this show has devolved into...

Wow.  I thought the tweet (at least, as shown in that article) was fairly innocuous.  I don't know what the law has to say about "racial bullying" but surely "sexual harassment" is a criminal matter?

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, SeriousPurrs said:

Didn't NF ever talk to some one he's working with? Ever notice she's upset? Or does he only do his scenes and no personal chit-chat or try to be a friend? Just professional all the time?

Just IMO....

That's a good question for sure. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, wknt3 said:

Speaking of the dangers of baseless speculation about the mess this show has devolved into, it's not just us random civilians on the internet getting in trouble -
https://popculture.com/celebrity/2019/08/05/adam-baldwin-slammed-comment-rookie-star-afton-williamson-quitting-alleging-sexual-harrassment-racism-bullying/

The Match Game might be looking for a new host after that tweet.  How does one file a police report for racial bullying???

57 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

The Match Game might be looking for a new host after that tweet.  How does one file a police report for racial bullying???

Adam Baldwin (the Tweeter, and NF's former Firefly co-star) and Alec Baldwin (host of The Match Game and also known for his stupidity on social media and in general, so easily mistaken) are two different people...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Adam Baldwin (the Tweeter, and NF's former Firefly co-star) and Alec Baldwin (host of The Match Game and also known for his stupidity on social media and in general, so easily mistaken) are two different people...

Ooops.  Dang those Baldwin boys!!!

1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

These were the allegations (copied directly from her IG post):

"This season on The Rookie, I was sexually harassed by fellow actor Demetrius Grosse. I was Racially Bullied and Discriminated against and Sexually Assaulted by Hair Department Head Sally Nicole Ciganovich."

The sexual assault may very well be worthy of a police report and I think that's what he was talking about. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, TWP said:

The sexual assault may very well be worthy of a police report and I think that's what he was talking about. 

Or, more likely, he's talking out of his ass about  a matter that doesn't concern him in the slightest.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, jhlipton said:
10 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Adam Baldwin (the Tweeter, and NF's former Firefly co-star) and Alec Baldwin (host of The Match Game…) are two different people...

Ooops.  Dang those Baldwin boys

Yes, but: No

To clarify (wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Baldwin):

[Adam] Baldwin is not related to the "Baldwin brothers" (Alec, Daniel, William, and Stephen).

—which is worth pointing out because they are so different in so many ways.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Kiddvideo said:

I don’t catch much TV in real time, but I’d always include this in my streaming line-up. No more. I hope Afton gets a large enough settlement to set her up for life.

So if someone ever accuses you of racism, assault or harassment you'll be perfectly fine with paying a zillion dollars and being automatically charged as guilty without any investigation, evidence or ever hearing the other side of the story. Got it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

So if someone ever accuses you of racism, assault or harassment you'll be perfectly fine with paying a zillion dollars and being automatically charged as guilty without any investigation, evidence or ever hearing the other side of the story. Got it. 

They admit they didn’t investigate her claim when she registered it. That in and of itself is a crime. I hope you’re never discriminated against. And now I’m blocking you.

• Love 3