Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

Will be looking forward to finding out who else gets cast in this project.  But there sure are some friends of Nathan I'd love to see guest star.  Dana Delany as Jordan Shaw or some other kick ass law enforcement top brass.  Michael Trucco as yet another cop after playing one in Castle & Con Man, with Nathan.  Alan Tudyk of course.  To just name a few.  

I think there will definitely be old faces mixed with new. Also curious in seeing Fillion play an actual cop. I know this is a dramedy and not a straight drama, but yeah...my interest is piqued. I know Castle often helped Beckett, but his was more observation than cop stuff (even if he did seem to act less author-ish and more cop-ish later).

The slight change ought to be interesting.

I hope that at one time or another everyone, and yes I do mean EVERYONE from the main Castle cast makes a guest appearance.  It would mean the show lasts a long time, and who knows in this climate.

#agirlcandream

I am also hoping they use a rotating ensemble arrangement with STRONG actors all around.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think there will definitely be old faces mixed with new. Also curious in seeing Fillion play an actual cop. I know this is a dramedy and not a straight drama, but yeah...my interest is piqued. I know Castle often helped Beckett, but his was more observation than cop stuff (even if he did seem to act less author-ish and more cop-ish later).

The slight change ought to be interesting.

If you watch something like Brooklyn Nine Nine, cops clearly come in all shapes and sizes, and abilities, too.  So while I think there'll be the inevitable gags about an older man's fitness, I hope they don't beat that into the ground.  I do hope they focus some on what being a rookie actually entails (I've never watched Rookie Blue), and not just make the character into a regular cop straight off the bat.    I have no idea, but do rookie cops have to wear uniforms and be partnered with training officers for a period of time?  And I actually have no idea if there's an age limit to application to the police academy, as well as other requirements.  I would be interested to know what this character did for a living before deciding to go for his dream, and what made him want to become a cop.  I'd rather hope it's not because of a personal tragedy to do with a parent. ;) 

4 hours ago, TWP said:

I hope that at one time or another everyone, and yes I do mean EVERYONE from the main Castle cast makes a guest appearance.  It would mean the show lasts a long time, and who knows in this climate.

#agirlcandream

I am also hoping they use a rotating ensemble arrangement with STRONG actors all around.

Honestly, I think the chances of any show lasting anywhere close to Castle's duration these days are almost nil, and that's not a bad thing in my opinion anyway.  Any show that lasts for more than a season is already a small miracle, and to be honest, if the show's quality isn't up to scratch, I'd rather it be put out of misery sooner rather than later so Nathan can move onto the next thing.  So much depends on the writing, and a strong ensemble.

I think there's a fanfic with the premise where Castle becomes a rookie (after poor Alexis died) and Beckett is his training officer.  So our pipe dream might have to live in fanfic for now. ;)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Will be looking forward to finding out who else gets cast in this project.  But there sure are some friends of Nathan I'd love to see guest star.  Dana Delany as Jordan Shaw or some other kick ass law enforcement top brass.  Michael Trucco as yet another cop after playing one in Castle & Con Man, with Nathan.  Alan Tudyk of course.  To just name a few.  

I enjoyed Dana's tweet today of she and Nathan in Halloween costumes from Desperate Housewives.  She tweeted once that she would work with him again in a heartbeat.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:11 PM, madmaverick said:

If you watch something like Brooklyn Nine Nine, cops clearly come in all shapes and sizes, and abilities, too.  So while I think there'll be the inevitable gags about an older man's fitness, I hope they don't beat that into the ground.  I do hope they focus some on what being a rookie actually entails (I've never watched Rookie Blue), and not just make the character into a regular cop straight off the bat.    I have no idea, but do rookie cops have to wear uniforms and be partnered with training officers for a period of time?  And I actually have no idea if there's an age limit to application to the police academy, as well as other requirements.  I would be interested to know what this character did for a living before deciding to go for his dream, and what made him want to become a cop.  I'd rather hope it's not because of a personal tragedy to do with a parent. ;) 

Honestly, I think the chances of any show lasting anywhere close to Castle's duration these days are almost nil, and that's not a bad thing in my opinion anyway.  Any show that lasts for more than a season is already a small miracle, and to be honest, if the show's quality isn't up to scratch, I'd rather it be put out of misery sooner rather than later so Nathan can move onto the next thing.  So much depends on the writing, and a strong ensemble.

I think there's a fanfic with the premise where Castle becomes a rookie (after poor Alexis died) and Beckett is his training officer.  So our pipe dream might have to live in fanfic for now. ;)

I watched Rookie Blue (hides eyes).  It wasn't really about being a "real" Rookie, but instead what one reviewer called "Grey's Anatomy in a Police Station".  Imagine a show with a whiff of Shonda, without really being as good as her shows? (Grimacing)   The characters got themselves into messes that I'm pretty sure real-world rookies would never see, and wow, talk about the potential sexual harassment lawsuits on that police force :-)..  My memory doesn't serve me well enough to give you good examples of what I mean, or maybe the story lines were just that unmemorable.  I remember cursing myself sometimes for watching..  It wasn't bad TV, but it was a little shallow.  Please let The Rookie be a little more interesting.  Hopefully, it will attempt to follow some of the great cop shows like Hill Street Blues, but maybe with more humor..  I'm also praying that it doesn't steal from Brooklyn 99.  Been there, done that, the rating are at cancellation-level.

When I said, #agirlcandream, it was more about getting the Castle cast together for guest appearances.  Sorry about the ambiguity.  I agree with you on show duration.  I wish shows could set their durations in advance and then tell the story they intend to tell and that viewers want.  Instead, as we all know, showrunners drag things out to the bitter end so that content that is important to viewers is compressed to afterthought status.  

Speaking of Shonda, I see that Grey's lasted 14 seasons so far, and I think wow, do they really have more story to tell?  But the ratings are still relatively good so it will continue I guess.  Money, money, money.  If they develop the right franchise, The Rookie could continue on past when Nathan wants to do it.  I expect that in the current "reboot" climate, networks will be interested in designing more shows that can survive a major cast change.

Oh, MadMaverick, I also agree with you about writing and producing.  I watched a little bit of Drive on You Tube.  While I liked Fillion and Kristin Lehman, I found the writing and implementation pretty awful, just a huge glaring example of how producing/directing is so important.  Tim Minnear went on to EP on American Horror Story, so maybe the poor quality wasn't even HIS fault.  Maybe the problem was with Fox and their wants.  ABC has a good track record of producing good TV with Nathan, so please let that continue, and please let the Hawley jinx die as well.  Granted, Hawley came in at the end of his already failing shows, but I think he's responsible for Loksat, so I won't quite cut him a pass.

• Love 1

According to Nathan on his Instagram live broadcast the other day, they don't have a proper official name for his new series yet.  It seems "The Rookie" is just the working title for now.  He also said things are kicking into gear and it's very exciting.  

On 11/28/2017 at 11:15 AM, BlakesMomma said:

According to Nathan on his Instagram live broadcast the other day, they don't have a proper official name for his new series yet.  It seems "The Rookie" is just the working title for now.  He also said things are kicking into gear and it's very exciting.  

Weird, since all sites reporting it had it as The Rookie. Maybe they want a better name since there have been many shows - past and present - with "Rookie" in the title. Whatever the case, once things are firmed up, and the name settled, I will request a title edit, if needed!

So we're getting a peek at the show structure here

My crazy hope is that the 20-something love interest is actually someone who has the hots for the old guy and the thing won't last.   I don't know if it's just my bias, but it seems like TVLine is spinning things in the worst possible light.  But a relationship between a 50-year-old and a 25 year old is gross for me, too, I'll agree....if it is a real relationship.  And full disclosure, I like Fillion a lot and I'm over 50.

I think the real love interest is probably the partner.  Or it could ultimately be someone else.

The reality is the only way a show like that can survive today is if they use mostly young actors.  I think that's why they're talking about 20 and 30 year olds.  

No, it's not your bias, TWP, TV Line needs to stir up drama even where there is none to give them maximum clicks, and crazed element of fandom is always too happy to oblige.  They need each other like oxygen. ;)

I can understand some people having reservations, but I genuinely don't believe in judging any relationship, real or fictional, before seeing it develop before me.  In my 30 something years, I've learned not to judge, especially about other people's relationships.  Different strokes for different people.   I do think that because the premise of this show is about Nathan's character having to be around much younger rookies, that becomes the natural feeding ground for any comedy, drama, conflict, and budding relationships of a romantic nature or not.  I want to keep an open mind about it till I see it in play.   Maybe it's the female rookie who goes after Nathan's character who is reluctant.  We know nothing about the characters or the context as yet.  I do see relationships in real life between 40 somethings and people in their late twenties, and they seem happy together.  It all depends on the people involved and what they are looking for, imo.  I do think generally age gap becomes less of a factor the older you get.  Who knows, the show may or may not decide to go in that direction.  Casting notices are hardly a sign of finality.   The more relevant thing to me is onscreen chemistry rather than age or any other factor.   Remember that Nathan actually played the younger love interest in his soap opera days, and opposite Dana Delany (15 years his senior) earlier in his career, and I don't think people were grossed out by that if people are still remembering those pairings fondly.

I agree that the demo factor is probably a big factor in casting and a network's support for a show.  An outdated idea maybe, but there it is.  I think Major Crimes was doing really well in ratings but still got canceled because it had a generally older cast and skewed old in the demo.

Any available African American and Latina actresses that people think would be good for these parts?  I'd like to see Nathan's character have a mentor or a boss character around his age, whom he can talk to as well.  

Casting aside, I just hope Hawley writes some good scripts.   Good actors can only do so much if the writing isn't good. 

I agree, MadMaverick, with your point about real life romances.  My reservation (i.e. gross comment) was more about the cynical nature of the TV pairing of the 40-something guy with a young girl.  Besides that, I don't think it's great for Fillion, because if anything, he looks older than his age (Reminder, I'm older than him, so am allowed to say ageist things, ha-ha.).  So if this is about making him seem younger, (hi, Alexi) it's never going to work.  The contrast is too great.

But I think if the context is the young rookie who develops a crush on the old guy and the old guy tests the waters, it would be interesting, IMnsHO.

And once again, I point out that I like Fillion.  He is one of my favorite people to watch on television, so we'll see how he pulls it off.  I suspect this leak is about getting people interested and talking about the show.  The narrative that "Oh, they're going to pair Fillion with a 40-year-old" is not going to generate the talk that this will. 

And I see that the haters have been properly baited, just like TVLine (and maybe Hawley) wants.  Good for them, in keeping their traffic up.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, TWP said:

I agree, MadMaverick, with your point about real life romances.  My reservation (i.e. gross comment) was more about the cynical nature of the TV pairing of the 40-something guy with a young girl. 

No, I totally get that.  If there wasn't the premise of him being a rookie and having to hang out with much younger people, I would have more questions about why they had to go so much younger for a love interest.  And I do have to remind myself to hold back on instant judgement when I see couples with a big difference between them, be it age, occupation, education etc., because I don't know their story and I'm not them!  I know many women especially don't care for an older guy with a younger woman in real life or fiction, but many women seem to celebrate a younger guy with an older woman  (see French prez & wife) because older women are too often devalued in society.  But if age is genuinely just a number, then is it a double standard by us women, too?

8 minutes ago, TWP said:

Besides that, I don't think it's great for Fillion, because if anything, he looks older than his age (Reminder, I'm older than him, so am allowed to say ageist things, ha-ha.).  So if this is about making him seem younger, (hi, Alexi) it's never going to work.  The contrast is too great.

I agree Nathan looks his age; I just hope he doesn't start looking as dead tired as he did in the later seasons of Castle.  At least Luke won't be working on this show and going to Marlowe's instead, so one can only hope his wardrobe here won't age him.  I do think any love interest storyline they may or may not pursue has to be believable, and they have to lay the groundwork for that in the writing, as well as in the casting.

8 minutes ago, TWP said:

But I think if the context is the young rookie who develops a crush on the old guy and the old guy tests the waters, it would be interesting, IMnsHO.

I do think exploring the challenges of  pursuing a relationship with an age difference could be interesting territory if written with nuance and pathos and not just comedy, and it's not something that's frequently explored on TV.  And it would be refreshing if it were the female chasing the male instead of the other way around.  But I think the show has to last quite a while before we see any kind of budding romance.  I don't think that will be the focus of the show at the beginning. 

8 minutes ago, TWP said:

And once again, I point out that I like Fillion.  He is one of my favorite people to watch on television, so we'll see how he pulls it off.  I suspect this leak is about getting people interested and talking about the show.  The narrative that "Oh, they're going to pair Fillion with a 40-year-old" is not going to generate the talk that this will. 

And I see that the haters have been properly baited, just like TVLine (and maybe Hawley) wants.  Good for them, in keeping their traffic up.

It would be funny if someone not as described ends up getting cast.  What will people get outraged about next before they've even seen the show? ;)

On 1/18/2018 at 10:32 AM, TWP said:

I read somewhere that Castle's Hayley was supposed to be a 20-something.  Toks is in her 40's.

That's true about the Hayley character. Also Kristen Lehman's guest spot on Castle as Serena Kaye was announced by TVLINE as being a love interest for Castle. A bit of a stretch. TVLine is always gonna be TVLine, going for the pot stirring drama. And the usual suspects are always going to be ready to pounce in their comments section. 

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, BlakesMomma said:

That's true about the Hayley character. Also Kristen Lehman's guest spot on Castle as Serena Kaye was announced by TVLINE as being a love interest for Castle. A bit of a stretch. TVLine is always gonna be TVLine, going for the pot stirring drama. And the usual suspects are always going to be ready to pounce in their comments section. 

TVLine gets Click-bait-ier as time goes on.

Pairing him with a younger woman doesn't bother me, but I could live without years and years of will they or won't they.

When he's rested, like he was when he filmed Modern Family or SCD, he looks great and I can see how a woman of any age would be attracted to him.  The problem will be towards the end of the season when he's tired.  IMO, that's when he really starts to look his age, if not older.

17 hours ago, break21 said:

Pairing him with a younger woman doesn't bother me, but I could live without years and years of will they or won't they.

When he's rested, like he was when he filmed Modern Family or SCD, he looks great and I can see how a woman of any age would be attracted to him.  The problem will be towards the end of the season when he's tired.  IMO, that's when he really starts to look his age, if not older.

While I don't necessarily believe in a Moonlighting curse, when I look back at a show like Castle, there was a pull to the WT/WT phase of the show that it wasn't quite able to replicate or regenerate for me after the couple got together.  That could have been due to the show simply being better written in its early seasons or due to a loss of the same kind of WT/WT romantic and sexual tension and emotional stakes after a couple got together, which the writers weren't able to regenerate in an equally compelling form to me.   Everyone's mileage may differ on that, of course.  I do think that 4 seasons of WT/WT was too long though and nowadays, audiences' patience for that kind of dragging out may be even shorter.  A WT/WT is bound to be part of most shows' development of romance; it's all in how deftly they write that, and of course the onscreen chemistry matters a lot too.   I think whatever WT/WT element they bring into play here won't be as much of a driving force as it was on Castle, but just one story component of many.  I am hoping the show won't be 95% rote crime procedural but find time to be character driven, and delve more into the themes of second chances in life, fresh starts, pursuing dreams, challenges of age and youth etc.   A show like this could even be uplifting and inspiring as well as entertaining if done right, and I wouldn't mind some of that on my TV.

Nathan also looked good in Con Man.   Along with being well rested and keeping fit, lighting, makeup and wardrobe can make such a massive difference.  I hope they don't dress him like an old man even if the point is supposedly that he's older than everyone else. 

A 20+ episode order would be gruelling on anybody, if the show even lasts that long.   But ABC seems to have shows nowadays which don't run for so long per season.

Edited by madmaverick

I don't mind the casting of a 20-something so much, but it needs to be a 20-something with some gravitas, like a young Natalie Dormer.  Don't cast someone who is 26 but could pass for 16.  

And I agree that he looked haggard on Castle, but I do think a great deal of that was lighting and wardrobe (absolutely terrible).  

• Love 2

I'm familiar with Eric Winter after seeing him in Days of Our Lives, Brother's & Sisters and Rosewood.  He's a good and personable actor. I'm not familiar with Afton's work. I love her name though.  I wonder if one of her parents was a fan of Dallas?

• Love 1

I was a regular Nashville viewer until it moved to CMT and then went dark on Nick-at-Night, and I've never seen Afton, even though they say she was there.  

Eric is an unknown for me too, although it's interesting that he's from soaps.  I think Nathan really appreciates actors/actresses who can go in, execute their lines well and finish like he was trained to do in his soap opera days.  I wonder if that played a role in the casting.

This will be interesting.  Whether it's interesting enough for me to watch is another question.  I'll give it a shot, but it's shaping up to look like a hundred zillion other TV shows.

• Love 1

I remember Eric Winter from Brothers & Sisters long ago.  He's the kind of actor that keeps popping up in various series.   Think he would be a good fit to play an overbearing training officer.  Smug, kind of ass-y.  For Castle viewers, I'm thinking someone like Sorenson x 10.

I've never seen Afton but she looks like she could have some good chemistry with Nathan.  Who knows, maybe his eventual romance could even be with her.  As his character's partner, I hope she'll have more to do than the African American actors on Castle ever did. 

So far I'm liking that the actors being cast are different types to Castle ones, if people get what I mean.  It'll give a different energy to the show even if they're all playing cops. 

• Love 1

So the potential love interest for Nathan's character has been cast.  I'm unfamiliar with Melissa O'Neil (anyone watched Dark Matter?), but googled her age, 29 (turning 30 this year).   Which also seems a bit old for a rookie?  But maybe it's not the character's first career either.  And looking at her headshot there, I don't feel like there will feel like a massive age difference on screen.   Now, there may be a height difference!  The only thing I'm wondering about is, I think she's half Asian and not Hispanic at all, but she's playing a Hispanic character?  Maybe her character is half Asian/half Hispanic or they'll match the character's ethnicity to the actress'?  I wouldn't be surprised if even character names are changed at this point.  So, as expected, TV Line stirred up drama for clicks over nothing.  ;)

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

So the potential love interest for Nathan's character has been cast.  I'm unfamiliar with Melissa O'Neil (anyone watched Dark Matter?), but googled her age, 29 (turning 30 this year).   Which also seems a bit old for a rookie?  But maybe it's not the character's first career either.  And looking at her headshot there, I don't feel like there will feel like a massive age difference on screen.   Now, there may be a height difference!  The only thing I'm wondering about is, I think she's half Asian and not Hispanic at all, but she's playing a Hispanic character?  Maybe her character is half Asian/half Hispanic or they'll match the character's ethnicity to the actress'?  I wouldn't be surprised if even character names are changed at this point.  So, as expected, TV Line stirred up drama for clicks over nothing.  ;)

So much can change from the original casting notice that I'm not surprised she's different than what was described.  And the age difference from 30 to 40 is really irrelevant in my opinion. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. That leaves about 3 more regulars to announce if the comment the there would be 7 series regulars is correct. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

So much can change from the original casting notice that I'm not surprised she's different than what was described.  And the age difference from 30 to 40 is really irrelevant in my opinion. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. That leaves about 3 more regulars to announce if the comment the there would be 7 series regulars is correct. 

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Character-wise, I agree: Ten years is nothing. The only issue is, Nathan Fillion will actually be 47. And while that is not at all ancient, when he is exhausted, he looks every bit his age. So while the character difference isn't bad, on a superficial actor level, there is a danger of Ms. O'Neill looking like his daughter.

But I've never seen her in her other roles, so maybe she looks more mature and this is moot.

I'll be checking this out either way.

35 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

So much can change from the original casting notice that I'm not surprised she's different than what was described.  And the age difference from 30 to 40 is really irrelevant in my opinion. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. That leaves about 3 more regulars to announce if the comment the there would be 7 series regulars is correct. 

If only TV Line had posted about this casting notice with that caveat.  But no, of course they had to go for the most clickbaity drama stirring headline as possible. ;)  And I see the desperate ones are still up in arms over this age difference thing because of course they have to be up in arms about something.   Amazing how invested they are in a show that they say they won't watch.  ;)

28 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Character-wise, I agree: Ten years is nothing. The only issue is, Nathan Fillion will actually be 47. And while that is not at all ancient, when he is exhausted, he looks every bit his age. So while the character difference isn't bad, on a superficial actor level, there is a danger of Ms. O'Neill looking like his daughter.

But I've never seen her in her other roles, so maybe she looks more mature and this is moot.

I'll be checking this out either way.

I agree that he definitely looked worse for wear especially during the second half of the latter seasons (which makes me want to know if there's any chance this series is one of those 13 episode/season series), but he's definitely looked fresher since Castle ended so hopefully he can keep that up.  Even if he looks his age, my mind personally wouldn't jump to this actress being his daughter at all though.  She definitely looks a fair bit older than Molly Quinn to me.

I don't know how much they want to emphasize the fact that he's the oldest rookie at the beginning, but hopefully that won't involve dressing him and putting make up on him to make him look older than his character even is!  

I have no idea about this, and the show might not even be true to life in this respect, but do LAPD Rookies have to wear uniforms?  

I am liking the diverse cast.  Good casting is a start, but there's still got to be strong writing which will make or break the show. 

Edited by madmaverick
6 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I have no idea about this, and the show might not even be true to life in this respect, but do LAPD Rookies have to wear uniforms? 

Obviously, I'm not a cop. But based on the billions of cop shows I've watched, I assume rookies do have to wear uniforms (once one makes detective, it is apparently no longer the case).

2 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Obviously, I'm not a cop. But based on the billions of cop shows I've watched, I assume rookies do have to wear uniforms (once one makes detective, it is apparently no longer the case).

You mean you're not a cop by day, cop show watcher/moderator by night? :P  

I'm going to guess they are going to take some creative liberty with the rookie stuff.  I would like to see some of the police training they have to undertake though.  Haven't watched Police Academy in years and I never watched Rookie Blue so I need to brush up on my rookie TV knowledge somewhere heh.  

Nathan's played a cop in previous roles before and I think he may have worn a police uniform on Lost?

• Love 1

Nathan was a caricature of a cop on Slither, I believe it was, Officer Pardy? Hardy?  I don't recall.  I've never seen the show.

But I like the casting and can get behind it more than yesterday.  Judging by Twitter, O'Neil is a kind person who raises money for food banks because she was raised in poverty.  Ah, empathy, remembering roots, down-to-earthedness.  She's got a fan in me.

Dark Matter has been on at my house several times and I frequently watched with one eye while talking on the internet ;-).  My spouse was a regular viewer and was bummed out when I told him that O'Neil was cast on Fillion's show because it meant Dark Matter was cancelled.  He remembered O'Neil better than I do and thought she was good.

Well I hope that Fillion's exhaustion won't happen because Hawley and the rest of the writers will focus on developing other characters. 

Edited by TWP
24 minutes ago, TWP said:

Nathan was a caricature of a cop on Slither, I believe it was, Officer Pardy? Hardy?  I don't recall.  I've never seen the show.

But I like the casting and can get behind it more than yesterday.  Judging by Twitter, O'Neil is a kind person who raises money for food banks because she was raised in poverty.  Ah, empathy, remembering roots, down-to-earthedness.  She's got a fan in me.

Dark Matter has been on at my house several times and I frequently watched with one eye while talking on the internet ;-).  My spouse was a regular viewer and was bummed out when I told him that O'Neil was cast on Fillion's show because it meant Dark Matter was cancelled.  He remembered O'Neil better than I do and thought she was good.

Well I hope that Fillion's exhaustion won't happen because Hawley and the rest of the writers will focus on developing other characters. 

It was great to see the show runner and EP from Dark Matter tweeting Melissa congratulations, that they were thrilled for her and speaking so highly of her.  It was also great to read all the replies to her tweet from her fans saying how much they're looking forward to seeing her and Nathan work together and that they'll be tuning in to watch. 

1 hour ago, TWP said:

He played a Sheriff, I believe, in Slither, named Bill Pardy.  If you're a fan of horror comedies, should check out that movie for the gore if not the laughs.  But it is a cult film for a reason. ;)  I thought Nathan played a small town kind of guy quite well.

O'Neil seems like a cool chick.  Those are qualities I can get behind for sure, too.  And a fellow Canadian.

1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

It was great to see the show runner and EP from Dark Matter tweeting Melissa congratulations, that they were thrilled for her and speaking so highly of her.  It was also great to read all the replies to her tweet from her fans saying how much they're looking forward to seeing her and Nathan work together and that they'll be tuning in to watch. 

Looking forward to an infusion of new fans with a positive, drama free spirit from the fanbases of the various actors.  Hoping the toxic remnants of the Castle fandom can be left behind.  I feel bad that the fans of this actress were exposed to it when they simply wanted to celebrate the casting of their actress and must have been wondering why all some people wanted to talk about was age difference.  Castle and Beckett had around a 10 year age difference and I don't remember people making a big deal out of it then. ;)

2 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I absolutely loath Malozzi and Mullie as writers, so never watched Dark Matter until recently but it was surprisingly ok coming from them and I do like Melissa O'Neill as an actress, I think she can hold her own with Fillion. 

24 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

He played a Sheriff, I believe, in Slither, named Bill Pardy.  If you're a fan of horror comedies, should check out that movie for the gore if not the laughs.  But it is a cult film for a reason. ;)  I thought Nathan played a small town kind of guy quite well.

O'Neil seems like a cool chick.  Those are qualities I can get behind for sure, too.  And a fellow Canadian.

Looking forward to an infusion of new fans with a positive, drama free spirit from the fanbases of the various actors.  Hoping the toxic remnants of the Castle fandom can be left behind.  I feel bad that the fans of this actress were exposed to it when they simply wanted to celebrate the casting of their actress and must have been wondering why all some people wanted to talk about was age difference.  Castle and Beckett had around a 10 year age difference and I don't remember people making a big deal out of it then. ;)

Well Castle started off with a very positive fanbase for a while. NF (as an actor with a specific fanbase not as a person) also brought both positive and negative baggage from Whedon projects, it's somewhat the nature of the business. A lot of older shows with a big fandom do get toxic, even if there is minimal BTS drama, which wasn't the case with Castle. I guess since the age difference was explicitly referenced in the casting description it's not surprising it was a thing, especially as Fillion is much nearer 50 IRL and with the recent spot light on Hollywood sexism etc. Once the show starts airing, provided it doesn't become an issue on the show and they don't look too obviously 20 years apart then I don't think it's going to matter in the long run, but until we get something else to go on, casting notices are what's getting talked about. 

13 hours ago, TWP said:

I also hope they take some pressure off of NF and make it more of an ensemble show so he doesn't have to be in nearly every single scene like he was in Castle.  His Castle schedule would have exhausted anyone, especially over the course of years and years.

Spoiler TV got their info from this site below which posted the original content.  (Sure they credited the other site in a footnote but one of my pet peeves is sites copying and pasting original content from other sites and getting their clicks in without having done any of the real work.  Anyway, I digress...)   FYI the article is quite spoilery! 

http://season-zero.com/the-rookie-abc-pilot-preview-richard-castle-dead-john-nolan/

To be honest, I had some reservations about jumping into another network crime procedural, and with Hawley as showrunner/writer, even though I think Nathan Fillion's a talented and very watchable guy.  But would the writing be good, is the question I ask with every show.  I feel more confident about The Rookie after reading this review of the pilot script.  I like how they've drawn the characters and set up the various character dynamics.   One thing that I did like about the premise of The Rookie is that it was about second chances and taking a leap in life, and I look forward to that being explored with Nathan's character.  I did wonder what spurred the move for the guy to become a cop at 40. 

Let me just say that I'm glad this is one show where it isn't yet another protagonist with a tragic post involving the loss of a loved one.  Too many shows go to that well. 

It's more refreshing to me when it's truer to life about people wanting to make a change and just going for it.  I think a lot of people can root for that.  Now it's good to hear that the other characters will all have their own challenges and storylines and that the show sounds more character driven than a straight crime procedural with one COTW format, which can get really tedious, for me at least.  The pilot at least also seems to delve into the challenges and realities of being a rookie, training officer, which I would find more interesting than a simple run of the mill crime investigation format, and I hope they keep doing stories about that going forward.  The show is called The Rookie, after all.   And I like that what the characters do in their down time is also explored.  I don't want to watch a show where we barely see the characters outside of being cops.  People might have different opinions about

the no strings attached sexual relationship that's introduced from the pilot. 

Consider me surprised but intrigued to see how they handle it.  It's a bolder move than what I expected, which was another few years of UST.  ;) I think it would be smart to have the female character be the active pursuant of said relationship.  A woman going after what she wants, and getting some!   With 2 of the training officers being women managing their male subordinates, it suggests women will be empowered in this show.  

So, in a nutshell, feeling more positive and enthused about the show after reading the review.  Everything starts with a strong script, and it seems like something the actors should be able to execute well. 

Edited by madmaverick

From the sound of things, my main reservation with the plot is that it has a Grey's Anatomy in a police station feel.  Since you've never watched Greys, @madmaverick the initial premise was hospital interns working under supervising doctors and of course, all the craziness and silliness that went along with the fictional version of that. 

Spoiler

Even the idea of the leads sleeping together in the first episode is straight from Grey's. 

Hopefully we won't see any Grey's writers or I'll really get worried.  Please don't go there, show, but I wonder with Mark Gordon at the helm.   I gave up on Greys at Season 4.

Strangely, Gordon's IMDB doesn't list The Rookie, but does list an untitled Liz Friedlander project.  I know she's directing the first episode of The Rookie.  I'm wondering if The Rookie and the unnamed project are one and the same.  Just a side point.  Anyway.

Edited by TWP
8 hours ago, TWP said:

Strangely, Gordon's IMDB doesn't list The Rookie, but does list an untitled Liz Friedlander project.  I know she's directing the first episode of The Rookie.  I'm wondering if The Rookie and the unnamed project are one and the same.  Just a side point.  Anyway.

I don't think they're one and the same because I think Liz Friedlander's name would have been attached to Rookie from the initial announcement if it were. She would have received more mention at the announcement instead of just when she signed on as director.

The Rookie isn't listed under Mark Gordon, the individual, on imdb but it is listed under The Mark Gordon Company as projects in development.

Edited by BlakesMomma
Spoiler

@BlakesMomma, I just realized that I said something that should be in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

It was the part about the leads sleeping together in the first episode.

I fixed my post.  Would you fix accordingly your quote of my post?  Thank you.