Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

Honestly - he looked nervous on Jimmy Kimmel.  I  have followed him for years - never seen anything like this

He looked nervous, kept moving his leg.   He talked really fast.

The Rookie is a good show who deserves a chance.   But he just looked really nervous.   He's usually not like that.

Edited by break21
2 hours ago, break21 said:

Honestly - he looked nervous on Jimmy Kimmel.  I  have followed him for years - never seen anything like this

He looked nervous, kept moving his leg.   He talked really fast.

The Rookie is a good show who deserves a chance.   But he just looked really nervous.   He's usually not like that.

I watched it and never once thought he looked nervous. He looked as comfortable and at ease as he always does.  

• Love 2

Good and bad news.  It didn't get an early renewal but the President of ABC said she's happy with it because it's improved it's time-slot and isn't a procedural.   She also said Nathan Fillion belongs on ABC.  I don't know if that means if it's cancelled she'll move him to another show.    Right now, renewal is still up in the air.

• Love 1
On 1/22/2019 at 11:58 PM, BlakesMomma said:

I watched it and never once thought he looked nervous. He looked as comfortable and at ease as he always does.  

Yeah, not nervous.  If the implication was that he was nervous because the show isn't doing well, honestly, he probably has lots of other options, maybe some at ABC, who knows.

On 1/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, BlakesMomma said:

Ditto. He's got a nice rapport with Kimmel by now and seemed perfectly comfortable. He knows how to charm that demo.

15 hours ago, break21 said:

ABC is going to move the March 5th episode of "The Rookie" to Monday behind the Bachelor.  Looks like they are going to try and save it like they did with "A Million Little Things".

Where did you see this? Because my listings show a new episode of The Good Doctor.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 3:16 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Where did you see this? Because my listings show a new episode of The Good Doctor.

My mistake - the Rookie will air on Tuesday night but they're  going to air The Bachelor that night instead of the sitcoms.  If it can get around a 1 it might make it.  Any less, I think it's cancelled.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:16 AM, WendyCR72 said:

I think I read somewhere that The Bachelor is airing a Tuesday episode that will lead in to The Rookie.  But I've never heard about a move either.

Edit:  Actually The Bachelor will air special episodes on two Tuesdays in a row:  https://www.etonline.com/colton-underwood-teases-his-two-night-bachelor-finale-is-unlike-anything-else-exclusive-118923

Edited by TWP

Found this BTS clip from Afton's social media quite interesting.  Sometimes I do forget how many times a scene has to be shot and how many people have to be involved to make a scene look real on TV.  Nathan's running doesn't look too bad here either.  He probably had to do it quite a few times too. Maybe it's just uphill that gives him issues.

16 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

Found this BTS clip from Afton's social media quite interesting.  Sometimes I do forget how many times a scene has to be shot and how many people have to be involved to make a scene look real on TV.  Nathan's running doesn't look too bad here either.  He probably had to do it quite a few times too. Maybe it's just uphill that gives him issues.

Running uphill is a bitch! 😂 I've been really pleasantly surprised and impressed with how little it seems they've used a stuntman for those types of scenes this season, outside of the more intense fight scenes. I guess I was expecting it to be more. Go Nathan!!

• Love 1

At TV by the Numbers, their "cancel bear" index has the show as a tossup for cancellation or renewal. It along with How to Get Away With Murder and The Kids are Alright receive this rating. All three are owned by ABC and How to Get Away With Murder has a lower rating than The RookieSplitting Up Together and Single Parents both receive a likely cancellation rating, neither of which are owned by ABC.

I could see ABC letting this show have another season to see how it does. How to Get Away With Murder is getting long in the tooth (heck, I thought it shouldn't have seen a second season. I think the original premise was ridiculous. Also, I didn't like any of the characters on the show, but I digress). If ABC was looking to dump a scripted hour long drama, that's the one I'd pull the trigger on.

TVByTheNumbers switched it from toss-up to likely renewal  I can see it going either way. Awhile back, another poster argued lead-ins don't matter.  Oh yes it does.  Just look at "A Million Little Things".   I'm on the fence, IMO, could go either way.

I think the predictions that showed it likely dead didn't factor in ABC's unusual (and failing) pattern of airing new dramas late this season.  I suspect TR will get another season.  After all, what have they got instead?  Another Whiskey Cavalier?

Lead-ins definitely matter to rating numbers. However, if a show has bad ratings even with poor lead-ins, it may not make it.  The bottom line is that networks want something that will earn cash in a particular timeslot.  If a show doesn't and if they don't have a better place to move it, they cancel it in favor of something that looks more promising to them.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:10 PM, TWP said:

I think the predictions that showed it likely dead didn't factor in ABC's unusual (and failing) pattern of airing new dramas late this season.  I suspect TR will get another season.  After all, what have they got instead?  Another Whiskey Cavalier?

Lead-ins definitely matter to rating numbers. However, if a show has bad ratings even with poor lead-ins, it may not make it.  The bottom line is that networks want something that will earn cash in a particular timeslot.  If a show doesn't and if they don't have a better place to move it, they cancel it in favor of something that looks more promising to them.

Yeah, Whiskey Cavalier is dead.   One thing The Rookie has going for it is Live+7 ratings.  It absolutely kills it there.  People are watching - just not Tuesday at 10:00 p.m.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, break21 said:

Yeah, Whiskey Cavalier is dead.   One thing The Rookie has going for it is Live+7 ratings.  It absolutely kills it there.  People are watching - just not Tuesday at 10:00 p.m.

I'm not so sure. Whiskey Cavalier may not have thrilling live ratings (just like The Rookie), but it had comparable Live + 7 ratings to start. (The link article is dated March 14th, so the Live + 7 for its other two episodes will likely tell the tale, once they are released.) And I admit, I kind of dig the show, so I hope it still has a shot, but if not, it is what it is.

6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm not so sure. Whiskey Cavalier may not have thrilling live ratings (just like The Rookie), but it had comparable Live + 7 ratings to start. (The link article is dated March 14th, so the Live + 7 for its other two episodes will likely tell the tale, once they are released.) And I admit, I kind of dig the show, so I hope it still has a shot, but if not, it is what it is.

Whiskey Cavalier, I agree, is a good show.   Since Castle ended, everyone is looking for it's replacement and this is about as close as it gets.  It's problem is it's not owned by ABC so it would have to do gangbuster ratings to survive.  I like Scott Foley.  A lot of Scandal fans blame him for it's downfall but he wasn't writing the episodes.  He's a good lead.  Not in Nathan Fillion territory but IMO a good lead.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, break21 said:

Whiskey Cavalier, I agree, is a good show.   Since Castle ended, everyone is looking for it's replacement and this is about as close as it gets.  It's problem is it's not owned by ABC so it would have to do gangbuster ratings to survive.  I like Scott Foley.  A lot of Scandal fans blame him for it's downfall but he wasn't writing the episodes.  He's a good lead.  Not in Nathan Fillion territory but IMO a good lead.

Yeah, I remembered after I wrote my post that Whiskey Cavalier is owned by Warner Brothers and The Rookie is in-house at ABC Studios, giving the latter the edge. Shrug. I guess I'll enjoy Whiskey Cavalier while it's here. I think Scott Foley and Lauren Cohan actually have a spark and I also like Ana Ortiz and Tyler James Williams in the supporting cast. I like that it is a throwback type of show to, say, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Moonlighting, and Remington Steele and not only is not ashamed of it, but embraces it. (Heck, the pilot did open with that '80s classic, "Total Eclipse of the Heart"!) And imagine my utter shock when realizing the show has actual opening credits and a theme song! LOL! When is the last time that happened? See? Throwback.  🙂 Maybe ABC will surprise me and give this a chance to grow as well as keep The Rookie?

Nah. (Sniffle.)

• Love 2

Good News- TVGrimReaper upgraded "The Rookie" from likely cancelled to "likely renewed"  It's ABC's 2nd most watched 10:00 p.m. drama.  It also tied for first place last week in it's time-slot for the first time. .  Just about all of the tv sites are marking it as "likely renewed" now.  

• Love 5

ABC will be releasing their fall schedule on Tuesday May 14th so we'll likely know the status the of the show pretty soon. I'm hoping for a renewal but I've noticed that some in social media are actually rooting for it's cancellation. Kind of sad IMO since this show has a lot to offer.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

ABC will be releasing their fall schedule on Tuesday May 14th so we'll likely know the status the of the show pretty soon. I'm hoping for a renewal but I've noticed that some in social media are actually rooting for it's cancellation. Kind of sad IMO since this show has a lot to offer.  

What's sad is that after 3 years, some people still haven't moved on from Castle and their hate campaign. 

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

As per this article, it seems either NY Undercover or The Rookie will be chosen. 

https://deadline.com/2019/05/pilots-2019-ho...fox-1202606758/

If true, I have a feeling The Rookie is done, if just for the fact that - I think - Dick Wolf is again attached to New York Undercover as he was for the original '90s series, and with his L&O and Chicago franchise successes over the years at NBC and now his burgeoning FBI franchise on CBS, maybe ABC will want in on a proven commodity? But if ABC is having revivals of both NYPD Blue and New York Undercover, those series had the grittier formula whereas The Rookie doesn't. Unless ABC schedules gritty cop stuff on one night and bucks the trend and keeps this show and pairs it with a quirkier one.

I guess we'll know soon, either way. Me? I'll be more heartbroken if/when (betting on when) ABC cans Whiskey Cavalier. Oh, well!

9 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

If true, I have a feeling The Rookie is done, if just for the fact that - I think - Dick Wolf is again attached to New York Undercover as he was for the original '90s series, and with his L&O and Chicago franchise successes over the years at NBC and now his burgeoning FBI franchise on CBS, maybe ABC will want in on a proven commodity? But if ABC is having revivals of both NYPD Blue and New York Undercover, those series had the grittier formula whereas The Rookie doesn't. Unless ABC schedules gritty cop stuff on one night and bucks the trend and keeps this show and pairs it with a quirkier one.

I guess we'll know soon, either way. Me? I'll be more heartbroken if/when (betting on when) ABC cans Whiskey Cavalier. Oh, well!

I've never put much stock in Nellie's "I hear" and these pilot/bubble articles are all mostly guesses. It's interesting to go back and read previous year predictions vs actual.

If ABC finally finds a series that does the best in years in that Tuesday 10/9 time slot, and doesn't keep it, then they truly deserve the likely set of new failures in that slot again.

The Rookie is ABC's second highest rated 10/9 drama behind The Good Doctor. ABC hasn't managed to pull off an 0.7 or 4 million viewers at 10/9 on any night since TR ended.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

I could have sworn I had already read that it had been renewed a few weeks ago. I think I need a vacation!

Or maybe you have marketable skills in predicting television futures!

Edited by shapeshifter
wrong preposition
  • LOL 5
1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

In this case, I'm REALLY happy to be right.

The lottery's up to $300M. Which numbers should I play?*

*What? If we've got a clairvoyant in the forum, I say we take advantage. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Thank you ABC for the renewal. You've a made a lot of fans happy and a few haters pretending to be fans on social media even more bitter. 

Now please renew Whisky Cavalier and I can finally forgive you for cancelling Deception, Forever, Life on Mars and my favourite Sledge Hammer! over 30 years ago 🙂

• Love 4

New thread for other roles is up. For the record, if there is a topic that does not exist here, you can create one yourself. Enjoy!

7 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Now please renew Whisky Cavalier

Still bummed it wasn't. Boo, ABC!

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

New thread for other roles is up. For the record, if there is a topic that does not exist here, you can create one yourself. Enjoy!

Me too! The Rookie renewal takes a bit of the sting away (just found out), if that had been canceled too I would've really lost it lol!

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I was a little concerned that the topic existed and I just wasn't FINDING it.  Thank you for creating it.

Whiskey Cavalier was more my speed than The Rookie is.  I'm glad that at least one of the shows is coming back.  I fear a world of Dick Wolf/Chicagoland, NCIS, Shondaland and vocal contests.  At least The Rookie isn't a heavy soap...and yeah, I know the Mark Gordon connection with Greys.

28 minutes ago, TWP said:

Whiskey Cavalier was more my speed than The Rookie is. 

Same. Don't get me wrong; I am very happy for those that wished for its renewal. I watch The Rookie but, for me only, it has been relegated to "show I watch while I do other things".

I just thought Whiskey Cavalier was just fun and sort of an '80s throwback in style, and having grown up in the era of Remington Steele and such, it was refreshing.

Oh, well. At least I had the season pass for it and will have the few episodes there were to re-watch. As for The Rookie, hopefully Nathan Fillion's character will have a bit more development than earnest/goofy cop that occasionally gets dad moments. A little more depth would work for me.

• Love 1

I thought it was more likely than not TR would get another season, but you never know with these things. And I see many network pilots with name actors not even ordered to series.  I don't expect TR to last for more than another season or two, frankly, in this day and age.  Unfortunately, I have no real expectations that it'll become a show with great writing in S2 either.  It's a serviceable network procedural with a likable cast of characters and good cast, but the writing/type of show it is makes it unlikely to excel.  Hopefully it will improve in S2 though and agreed that Nolan definitely needs more development/sharper writing. 

• Love 1

ABC moved "The Rookie" to Sunday at 10 behind "Shark Tank."  I'm okay with it.  It gets them out of the "death slot" and I think "Shark Tank" is a better lead-in than "Blackish".  Interested in other's opinions.

17 minutes ago, break21 said:

ABC moved "The Rookie" to Sunday at 10 behind "Shark Tank."  I'm okay with it.  It gets them out of the "death slot" and I think "Shark Tank" is a better lead-in than "Blackish".  Interested in other's opinions.

Not good for me. Sunday Night Football will be airing at the time. Plus Shark Tank will depend on Kids say the darnest things. That has to do well too. 

1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

Not good for me. Sunday Night Football will be airing at the time. Plus Shark Tank will depend on Kids say the darnest things. That has to do well too. 

That's a good point.  I forgot about Sunday Night Football.  Maybe ABC figures if it can survive the death slot, it can survive anything.

Just saw the schedule. Sundays is a REAL death slot. Hope the fans enjoy it sincerely. But football will crush this. And not necessarily because of the game itself but because any overrun will keep eyes away from other networks.

I like that it moved to Sundays..I rarely watch SNF unless my team is playing. They focus too much on East-West coast match ups anyway. So, now I have God Friended Me and Rookie to watch. I think ABC will be a bit more patient with the ratings for it on Sundays.

15 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I like that it moved to Sundays..I rarely watch SNF unless my team is playing. They focus too much on East-West coast match ups anyway. So, now I have God Friended Me and Rookie to watch. I think ABC will be a bit more patient with the ratings for it on Sundays.

I like Sunday too. And let's face it, there are a lot of people who don't watch football (more every season) and look for something else that night. 

I will laugh my ass off if the new show in that Tuesday death slot flops again though, after they finally had a series that was holding it's own there and moved it. 

(edited)

Notice to fans of #NathanFillion!
Try your luck to perhaps win your meeting with the hero of our next series # TheRookie, next June 5th

Edited by Netfoot
On 5/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, break21 said:

On 5/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, devilhalo said:

On 5/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, stonehaven said:

On 5/16/2019 at 1:53 AM, BlakesMomma said:

I like Sunday too. And let's face it, there are a lot of people who don't watch football (more every season) and look for something else that night. 

I will laugh my ass off if the new show in that Tuesday death slot flops again though, after they finally had a series that was holding it's own there and moved it. 

I keep forgetting that the entire world (or at least the entire country) doesn't DVR everything to watch later. It matters not one whit to me what day or time a show is aired, because I DVR them all.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I keep forgetting that the entire world (or at least the entire country) doesn't DVR everything to watch later. It matters not one whit to me what day or time a show is aired, because I DVR them all.

When you record other shows on NBC and whatever other network is doing TNF, extend the recording so you can get the ending. 

3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

When you record other shows on NBC and whatever other network is doing TNF, extend the recording so you can get the ending. 

Going back to the VCR days, I usually try to record 1 minute early and 1 minute late to cover any differences. I also have Hulu, which means I can watch the Rookie the next day.

• Love 1