Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

Ratings went fractional.   I'd move it.  A repeat just about beat a new episode of Bull on Monday.

I'd move it.   

It's not getting cancelled anytime soon - too many international sales, but I'd move it.

1 hour ago, break21 said:

And,, it amazes me Fillion didn't promote it on twitter last night,, but sent a political tweet.   Have no idea what he's thinking.  If I were him, every tweet would be promoting the show.  

He doesn't hard sell.  Whether you agree or not, he trusts that those who follow him on social media already know about the show as he's done multiple tweets about it.

And it wasn't so much a political tweet as a tweet about getting referenced on Stephen Colbert. Hell yeah, I'd tweet about that too.

Fillion's been in the game long enough now to know that there are any number of reasons why a show grabs an audience or not.  I'd dare say perhaps the better written series of his career are the ones that were more short lived. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I like him and have followed him for awhile.  It just seems odd he didn't tweet the second episode when its in trouble and he rarely sends out a political tweet.

He "liked" a few people who asked if the show is getting cancelled.

I have a feeling something went really wrong with this show, but it can be saved.

Something is off.

3 minutes ago, break21 said:

Yeah, I like him and have followed him for awhile.  It just seems odd he didn't tweet the second episode when its in trouble and he rarely sends out a political tweet.

He "liked" a few people who asked if the show is getting cancelled.

I have a feeling something went really wrong with this show, but it can be saved.

Something is off.

I haven't seen whatever you're referring to, but I'm going to bet it's meant in humour.  Again, his tweet was about getting mentioned on Stephen Colbert.  Which is a very cool thing. 

There's nothing to indicate that anything's wrong.  But we do live in a world where there are doomsayers galore right off the bat.  Makes it hard for anyone to put anything out there imo.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, madmaverick said:

I haven't seen whatever you're referring to, but I'm going to bet it's meant in humour.  Again, his tweet was about getting mentioned on Stephen Colbert.  Which is a very cool thing. 

There's nothing to indicate that anything's wrong.  But we do live in a world where there are doomsayers galore right off the bat.  Makes it hard for anyone to put anything out there imo.

Something is wrong.   He didn't' bother to promote the second episode and he's liking twitter followers are asking if it is cancelled.

Something is going on behind the scenes.   

Something is wrong.   He didn't' bother to promote the second episode and he's liking twitter followers are asking if it is cancelled.

Something is going on behind the scenes.   

I looked at his likes and he hasn't "liked" Twitter followers asking if it's cancelled.  In fact, he hasn't "liked" anything since July.

I had one of my comments liked by an imposter Nathan.  Maybe an imposter is liking those tweets.

Edited by TWP
19 minutes ago, TWP said:

I looked at his likes and he hasn't "liked" Twitter followers asking if it's cancelled.  In fact, he hasn't "liked" anything since July.

I had one of my comments liked by an imposter Nathan.  Maybe an imposter is liking those tweets.

Not dumb,, I know it for a fact he "liked" at least one of those tweets.

I love the guy, watched him for years.   Show is in turmoil.

He is a good actor, has a great following, but they let New Amsterdam get a head start.  I said it was a mistake.  Been in TV for awhile, that was a mistake.  Lots of money on the table with The Rookie.   It's in trouble but they will move it before they cancel it.  

3 minutes ago, break21 said:

Not dumb,, I know it for a fact he "liked" at least one of those tweets.

I love the guy, watched him for years.   Show is in turmoil.

He is a good actor, has a great following, but they let New Amsterdam get a head start.  I said it was a mistake.  Been in TV for awhile, that was a mistake.  Lots of money on the table with The Rookie.   It's in trouble but they will move it before they cancel it.  

Break21, it's NOT in his like list.  Maybe he liked it accidentally and then unliked it.  He's not going to send tea leaves to the fans about cancellation.  https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/likes 

I wasn't saying that you're dumb.  I was fooled for a second by the imposter who liked my comment.  Here's that imposter.  https://twitter.com/NathanFiIIionn  Feel free to go to their Twitter and report them.  These imposters are very good and it's easy to mistake them for Nathan.

I agree that The Rookie isn't doing well at all. 

• Love 1
On 10/24/2018 at 12:05 PM, break21 said:

Ratings went fractional.   I'd move it.  A repeat just about beat a new episode of Bull on Monday.

I'd move it.   

It's not getting cancelled anytime soon - too many international sales, but I'd move it.

I don't love the show but I think Tuesdays at 10 is a bad slot. I keep falling asleep.

I'm not huge on the relationship, but I find this little gif swoon-worthy.  These were the kind of moments people wanted on Castle.  That legendary Nathan thumb though.  It's still there! Ha-ha.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TWP said:

I'm not huge on the relationship, but I find this little gif swoon-worthy.  These were the kind of moments people wanted on Castle.  That legendary Nathan thumb though.  It's still there! Ha-ha.

Definitely agree! Can you wear out a gif? Asking for a friend. 

The thumb is just one of his little mannerisms. He isn’t even aware he does it I think. Been doing it for years. 

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 1

I figured out how to boost ratings.  They need to recruit a police dog!  or two.

I'm thinking one like this, for that SyFy crossover effect ;-).

dog.jpg

Edited by TWP
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, TWP said:

I figured out how to boost ratings.  They need to recruit a police dog!  or two.

Bear from "Person of Interest" may be available, if he is willing to move from NYC.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Can they have puppies?

Only with non-work-related dogs ;-).

47 minutes ago, Driad said:

Bear from "Person of Interest" may be available, if he is willing to move from NYC.

Hopefully he doesn't have a deal with CBS.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:
17 hours ago, Driad said:

Alas. Bear (Boker) passed away over the past summer.

Sadly true, but the death of an actor does not necessarily mean the death of the character.

• Love 1

If ABC doesn't take advantage of their golden opportunity to let Alec Baldwin go for punching a guy (and/or the 0.2-0.3 ratings on his talk show) then TR definitely has a good chance of sticking around for another season.

45 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Don't know what, if any, bearing on the show this will have, but after three years, Channing Dungey is out as ABC Entertainment President.

I don't think it will good for the show.  Dungey ordered the show, invested a lot of money in publicity and had a huge stake in it being successful.  She likely would have given it more time to try and gain an audience than a new President.  The new President might not want to have the headache of dealing with an expensive show with low ratings that she didn't green-light.  JMO.

I'm not sure a person from Freeform is really an improvement.  I don't know how much effect this change will have on the bubble shows like TR, because I don't think the entertainment president can cut everything, and ABC has too many middling shows.   I also think this change was about the merger, not as much a mandate on ABC programming.  If it was about programming, it would have happened before they started extending shows.  From what I hear, typically true firings happen right before summer so it would have happened last spring or next spring rather than now.  But who knows.

If the move was about programming, it would have been as much about cutting Last Man Standing (a relatively large hit, even if you hate the politics) and moving toward the terribly performing unscripted shows (Alec Baldwin and DWTS Junior).  But choosing a show like The Rookie without a script or a pilot and having it underperform may have hurt.  Of course, other decision-makers besides Dungey may have been involved in doing what it took to keep Mark Gordon (and maybe Fillion) around, with Shonda gone.   Oh, to be that fly on the wall in this decision-making process.

• Love 1

In the ratings, "The Rookie is not a hit, not a disaster.

It's kind of getting by.

I've said  it before, Nathan hasn't exactly gone all-out on social media to promote it,

He's not Live-tweeting, he's not even reminding people to tune in.

I don't get it.  Something is up.

• Love 1

It's kind of getting by.

I've said  it before, Nathan hasn't exactly gone all-out on social media to promote it,

I disagree as far as social media goes. Some shows aren't marquee. And, as such, they usually don't require the "big push", is all. They exist as comfort food, mediocrity to fill space, or a combo of each. Tastes basically determine which category this falls under.

But I have seen plenty of lesser shows to have, proportionately, lesser social media presence.

As for anything being up, there is really probably no way to know unless/until the new entertainment president pulls the trigger as far as the show's future is concerned.

2 hours ago, break21 said:

It's kind of getting by.

I don't think anything is up. In fact I don't think Nathan is behaving any differently with The Rookie than he has with any of his other projects. He gave it a huge promotional push before it premiered, but he's not the guy who is on SM every week reminding you to watch. That's just not the way he operates. Other than live tweeting maybe once a season, he did the same with Castle. He never promoted himself much on ASOUE or Santa Clarita Diet either.

I think he's pretty much written off Twitter as the mostly nasty wasteland that it's become in favor of Instagram. And the cast only did one official live tweet for the premiere and Nathan was on a plane coming back from promoting the show in NYC and Toronto. He may or may not do a Rookie live tweet before the season ends.

I just don't see any difference with this project than any of his others as far as his SM promoting. And I really don't think it makes a difference in terms of ratings whether he does or not. He gave it a huge push before it started and anyone interested knows it's on. He's never been a heavy handed social media promoter.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I don't think anything is up. In fact I don't think Nathan is behaving any differently with The Rookie than he has with any of his other projects. He gave it a huge promotional push before it premiered, but he's not the guy who is on SM every week reminding you to watch. That's just not the way he operates. Other than live tweeting maybe once a season, he did the same with Castle. He never promoted himself much on ASOUE or Santa Clarita Diet either.

I think he's pretty much written off Twitter as the mostly nasty wasteland that it's become in favor of Instagram. And the cast only did one official live tweet for the premiere and Nathan was on a plane coming back from promoting the show in NYC and Toronto. He may or may not do a Rookie live tweet before the season ends.

I just don't see any difference with this project than any of his others as far as his SM promoting. And I really don't think it makes a difference in terms of ratings whether he does or not. He gave it a huge push before it started and anyone interested knows it's on. He's never been a heavy handed social media promoter.

I agree in the later years of Castle he definitely did a lot less social media than earlier years.  But at that point, it was an established show.  When it started and was in trouble, he was all over social media.  I remember the rest of the cast saying he encouraged them to get on twitter to promote it.   These days, he is definitely off twitter in favor of Instagram.

It just seems odd to me, with his show just kind of plodding along in the ratings, he doesn't really promote it much lately.  I'd at least send out a tweet to remind people to watch on Tuesday.  Would it make a difference, probably not.  But I'd do it anyway.  Maybe he's tired.  He's producing (actually producing) which he didn't do on Castle.  The show requires a lot of running around which he didn't have to do on Castle.  With the show being on the bubble, the network execs are probably on the phone every 5 minutes making suggestions/demands for script changes.  

Just some thoughts.

6 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I don't think anything is up. In fact I don't think Nathan is behaving any differently with The Rookie than he has with any of his other projects.

Exactly.  There is exactly zero to support the idea that anything is up.  I am just not a fan of baseless conspiracy theories, period. 

I bet actors miss the days when their onscreen performance was the only thing subject to scrutiny.  Nathan would probably say something like how he doesn't tell writers how to do their job, and so I wouldn't presume to tell actors how to act or how to do PR, and frankly, what I care about is whether I'm getting quality TV, the other stuff is not my concern. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Exactly.  There is exactly zero to support the idea that anything is up.  I am just not a fan of baseless conspiracy theories, period. 

I bet actors miss the days when their onscreen performance was the only thing subject to scrutiny.  Nathan would probably say something like how he doesn't tell writers how to do their job, and so I wouldn't presume to tell actors how to act or how to do PR, and frankly, what I care about is whether I'm getting quality TV, the other stuff is not my concern. 

Not a conspiracy-theory.  I'm not looking to start up "Rookie-Gate" .   Just some observations from someone who has been a fan since Firefly.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, break21 said:

It's kind of getting by.

100% agree. It’s odd that he has stopped promoting the show esp when it’s not doing as well as anticipated. You would think he would try to drum up excitement for the show and build hype. But so far...nothing. 

He did do that for Firefly. Promoted it on Social Media a lot. That’s how I came to know about the show. And watched it. Because of the hype he generated on social media for the show.

If he did the same for The Rookie, maybe someone who is initially not intetested may become interested and watch the show and become a fan (like I did for Firefly).

Thats why his no social media promotion for The Rookie is odd for sure as he has surely done it for Firefly AND Con Man. 

6 hours ago, devilhalo said:

100% agree. It’s odd that he has stopped promoting the show esp when it’s not doing as well as anticipated. You would think he would try to drum up excitement for the show and build hype. But so far...nothing. 

He did do that for Firefly. Promoted it on Social Media a lot. That’s how I came to know about the show. And watched it. Because of the hype he generated on social media for the show.

If he did the same for The Rookie, maybe someone who is initially not intetested may become interested and watch the show and become a fan (like I did for Firefly).

Thats why his no social media promotion for The Rookie is odd for sure as he has surely done it for Firefly AND Con Man. 

What was social media like in 2002?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

What was social media like in 2002?

I meant that he used to promote Firefly a lot during the castle days. That’s how I lot of people including me discovered it. If he didn’t push the show so much, then many would not have watched it. He created hype for it which got people curious. Firefly was an excellent show but Nathan did push it heavily on social media during the castle time period. 

On 11/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, BlakesMomma said:

I agree with you.  Yes, and he's dumped Twitter pretty much altogether.  I don't blame him at all.  I see very little need to go there myself.  

BTW, he did live tweet the first episode of The Rookie, the 10PM PST airing on the West coast.  I assume it was after he arrived home from the show promos.

I remember when people complained that he didn't tweet about Castle enough.  It's just not his MO.  And as much as Twitter users like to think Twitter buzz matters, in reality it's hardly a blip on the radar of TV viewership. Most people don't have the time for it.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TWP said:

I agree with you.  Yes, and he's dumped Twitter pretty much altogether.  I don't blame him at all.  I see very little need to go there myself.  

BTW, he did live tweet the first episode of The Rookie, the 10PM PST airing on the West coast.  I assume it was after he arrived home from the show promos.

I remember when people complained that he didn't tweet about Castle enough.  It's just not his MO.  And as much as Twitter users like to think Twitter buzz matters, in reality it's hardly a blip on the radar of TV viewership. Most people don't have the time for it.  

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten he live tweeted the premiere. And after a long day of promotion and a long flight home. 

Live tweets are fun but I prefer to actually watch the show and read the tweets later. Can't do both and enjoy the episode lol. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten he live tweeted the premiere. And after a long day of promotion and a long flight home. 

Live tweets are fun but I prefer to actually watch the show and read the tweets later. Can't do both and enjoy the episode lol. 

I hate watching live TV, so I read the Tweets later too.  Don't worry, I'm not a Nielsen family.

Not specifically about this show, but there have been reports recently that fewer people are applying to be police recruits.  So police departments may need to be more flexible about age etc.

• Love 1

ABC has doubled-down on "Whiskey Cavalier". which looks like a good show.

"The Rookie" is a good show that keeps getting better but it just don't have the numbers.  ABC isn't promoting it like they were.

I think it is one and done for "The Rookie".   Which is a shame because it is a good show.  I said before it began, they started it too late.  They gave "New Amsterdam" a head start and  they just ran with it.

ABC has doubled-down on "Whiskey Cavalier". which looks like a good show.

"The Rookie" is a good show that keeps getting better but it just don't have the numbers.  ABC isn't promoting it like they were.

I think it is one and done for "The Rookie".   Which is a shame because it is a good show.  I said before it began, they started it too late.  They gave "New Amsterdam" a head start and  they just ran with it.

I still see it promoted on the other ABC shows. They aren't ever going to promote it again like they did before it premiered or at the very beginning.

Putting Whiskey Cavalier behind the Oscars is supposedly a big deal. But how is it a big deal to air at 11:30 at night on a Sunday work night? Do they really think the average person is going to stay up after the Oscars to watch it on a Sunday night? I don't.

I've watched the promos for WC and it didn't do much for me. Several critics haven't been crazy about it either. Scott Foley seemed like a lousy choice for the male lead IMO. Something just seemed off about him for that role in the promo. It just looks so much like another Castle imitation I guess. 

And I disagree about The Rookie being one and done, I think it will be renewed. 

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I still see it promoted on the other ABC shows. They aren't ever going to promote it again like they did before it premiered or at the very beginning.

Putting Whiskey Cavalier behind the Oscars is supposedly a big deal. But how is it a big deal to air at 11:30 at night on a Sunday work night? Do they really think the average person is going to stay up after the Oscars to watch it on a Sunday night? I don't.

I've watched the promos for WC and it didn't do much for me. Several critics haven't been crazy about it either. Scott Foley seemed like a lousy choice for the male lead IMO. Something just seemed off about him for that role in the promo. It just looks so much like another Castle imitation I guess. 

I hope you are right but I think it is done.  Number's aren't there.  ABC made a mistake starting it later than other shows.

5 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Whiskey Cavalier gives me a Deception vibe.  

I agree with TVGrimReaper.   Spring shows are the second string.   They rarely survive these days.  I know Castle had a spring premiere, but someone made a good point on another forum that Castle was pushed because of a last minute decision to air another half season of Boston Legal.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, TWP said:

Whiskey Cavalier gives me a Deception vibe.  

I agree with TVGrimReaper.   Spring shows are the second string.   They rarely survive these days.  I know Castle had a spring premiere, but someone made a good point on another forum that Castle was pushed because of a last minute decision to air another half season of Boston Legal.

I agree with Grim Reaper also. And if Whiskey Cavalier does well, it will be the first of the Castle clones to do so - Deception, Take Two and I know there's at least one other one that didn't. Maybe it's "Instinct" which was renewed but has no S2 premiere date that I know of. 

Editing to add: One other item of note on Whiskey Cavalier, it's the only new ABC drama that isn't an ABC Studios production. It's a Warner Brother series, which means it won't be given as much ratings leeway as ABC owned shows based on the current favoritism of networks for in-house productions.

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 2

"The Rookie" is in an odd place.   It's under-performing but it's better than the last show in that time-slot. ABC has doubled-down on "A Million Little Pieces" - they put it behind Grey's Anatomy and it delivered some ratings.  I watched it - its soapy but pretty good for what it is.   The promos for "Whiskey Cavalier" look really good.   I don't think all 3 will survive.  "The  Rookie" is in a bad spot.  It's a good show, I wish before they cancelled it ABC would move it behind "The Good Doctor". 

• Love 1