Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

When you record other shows on NBC and whatever other network is doing TNF, extend the recording so you can get the ending. 

Oh yeah, I always start the recordings early and end late. 

12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:
On 7/20/2019 at 5:05 PM, devilhalo said:

Is Afton in season 2? 

Nope.

No Talia Bishop in season 2?  That's sad, she was about my favorite.  Although I enjoy the show, I was disappointed when I heard that it had been renewed, because I'd prefer to see Nathan Fillion and Afton Williamson in better shows.

• Love 2

But Ali Larter is joining the show as an ER doctor who knew John Nolan in his past life. Also, with Bishop's exit, Lost alum, Harold Perrineau, will play a detective that takes Nolan under his wing. (This is mentioned in the article about Larter. Apparently, Perrineau was announced at the recent San Diego Comic Con.)

On 7/26/2019 at 10:52 PM, Driad said:

No Talia Bishop in season 2?  That's sad, she was about my favorite.  Although I enjoy the show, I was disappointed when I heard that it had been renewed, because I'd prefer to see Nathan Fillion and Afton Williamson in better shows.

Agreed.  First they get rid of the Captain (Mercedes Mason) and now Afton Williamson?  It didn't sound like an amicable departure, imo, from what I read and no real reason given.  Wonder what the explanation will be?  Wasn't she trying for a detective position?  I'm sure her "transfer" will be mentioned in S2.   

I thought it was a solid initial ensemble cast.  But, what's going on with this show--losing the better characters then replacing them with others?  At least Ali Larter is a bit closer in age to NF's character (Nolan) and obviously, will end up being his love interest this season.  Is this show just going to center around Nolan, i.e., new love interest and now a new detective taking him under his wing?  Isn't that what Bishop was doing?   Will they even develop the remainder of the cast?   I also don't think moving to Sundays is a good move; that just may be the kiss of death for S2.

• Love 2

On Sundays I'm already trying to follow two shows at once (no recorder) so a third is out of the question.  I might catch The Rookie if ABC airs reruns or if CBS gets delayed a lot by sports.

7 hours ago, Driad said:

On Sundays I'm already trying to follow two shows at once (no recorder) so a third is out of the question.  I might catch The Rookie if ABC airs reruns or if CBS gets delayed a lot by sports.

Buy a VCR, they are probably only 7 bucks now a days.

• LOL 2
12 hours ago, cathmed said:

Agreed.  First they get rid of the Captain (Mercedes Mason) and now Afton Williamson?  It didn't sound like an amicable departure, imo, from what I read and no real reason given.  Wonder what the explanation will be?  Wasn't she trying for a detective position?  I'm sure her "transfer" will be mentioned in S2.   

In the story the boots were about to enter the second half of their probationary year if they passed the Chief's interview and have a different training officer assigned. So story wise they were set up for major cast changes with no major story drama if necessary. Most shows from Adam-12 to TJ Hooker to Third Watch  always seemed to find away for the former "boot" to become the permanent partner to the trainer officer who stopped training new recruits.

10 hours ago, Driad said:

If you have cable, you can watch network shows online the next day.  (I assume you don't have Hulu.)

10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Buy a VCR, they are probably only 7 bucks now a days.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Do they still exist?! And even if the machines do, what about tapes for it?

They do still exist (although they aren't as cheap as OP suggests unless you find one at a garage sale) and you can buy tapes. A surprisingly large number of security camera systems still use them for example, which would actually make a good plot element for an episode - perhaps Nolan is the only one who can operate some 30 year old set up after fumbling with the latest and greatest computerized system at an earlier call. As far as recording The Rookie is concerned I would probably go with one of the many lower end DVRs out there since the price is pretty similar and it's easier to program. Or find a rich friend with a gorgeous house and a full AV setup and move in because that is totally a thing that happens all the time right?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

They do still exist (although they aren't as cheap as OP suggests unless you find one at a garage sale) and you can buy tapes.

I wonder how much a VCR would be from a pawn shop. I am sure theirs are usually a little more high class and in better working condition. They would probably be happy to get the space back.

(edited)

I still have and use a fully functional DVR/VHS unit that can record to either tape or DVD, and can copy a tape to a DVD. It was $200 about 15 years ago. Would you like me to bequeath it to you in my will, @Driad? 😉

I bought it when I worked nights. It's great now for when I know I'm likely to fall asleep during a show involving a case with clues that I would miss, as well as if 2 shows are airing at the same time, and I want to watch one right after the other.

HOWEVER, if you plan to buy one, it seems to only record in letterbox style now, which might be because I have a TV of the same vintage, but if you get one used, don't expect very high definition.

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Would you like me to bequeath it to you in my will, @Driad?

Thoughtful of you, but no, thanks.  I don't have a lot of time for TV anyway.  If I want to see next season, my library will eventually get the DVDs.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Driad said:
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Would you like me to bequeath it to you in my will, @Driad?

Thoughtful of you, but no, thanks.  I don't have a lot of time for TV anyway.  If I want to see next season, my library will eventually get the DVDs.

That's good, because my recent lab work indicates I'll be trudging around this world for at least another trip around the sun, heh.

• Love 1

I'm really disappointed Afton isn't coming back for Season 2.  Bishop and Nolan were my favorite part of the show.  She had really good chemistry with Nathan.  Her leaving seems really sudden.  She was tweeting hoping for a renewal and has been off twitter since May.  I wonder if it was a personal issue and she couldn't put in the hours to do the show.   It seems like they spent too much time developing her character to just dump her from the show.  If they needed to get rid of someone for budget reasons, it would have made more sense to get rid of one of the Rookies since statistically they said 1 in 3 won't make it.

• Love 3

TV Line claims the split was "amicable". So maybe Afton wanted to be let out of her contract? Or, yeah, just a retool and, unfortunately, Bishop did not make the cut.

I bet the character's absence will be explained in a throwaway line mentioning a new job opportunity/transfer and that will be it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, break21 said:

I'm really disappointed Afton isn't coming back for Season 2.  Bishop and Nolan were my favorite part of the show.  She had really good chemistry with Nathan.  Her leaving seems really sudden.  She was tweeting hoping for a renewal and has been off twitter since May.  I wonder if it was a personal issue and she couldn't put in the hours to do the show.   It seems like they spent too much time developing her character to just dump her from the show.  If they needed to get rid of someone for budget reasons, it would have made more sense to get rid of one of the Rookies since statistically they said 1 in 3 won't make it.

If they needed to cut back for budget/creative reasons I would think the obvious choice would be to drop West/Diaz as they were the characters with the weakest plotlines and neither of the actors has the screen presence of Afton or Eric Winter IMHO. I have to agree that the Bishop character and the Bishop/Nolan pairing were one of the best parts of the show and this change puts the show on probation with me - if it goes through any more weak stretches I'm dropping it.

13 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

TV Line claims the split was "amicable". So maybe Afton wanted to be let out of her contract? Or, yeah, just a retool and, unfortunately, Bishop did not make the cut.

I bet the character's absence will be explained in a throwaway line mentioning a new job opportunity/transfer and that will be it.

Of course "amicable" in Hollywood PR speak usually means "neither side is upset enough to burn their bridges at this time." If the producers seriously think dropping Bishop was a good creative decision that bodes poorly as to this show getting better and living up to it's potential.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, wknt3 said:

Of course "amicable" in Hollywood PR speak usually means "neither side is upset enough to burn their bridges at this time."

Very good point. Honestly, I'm not at all certain that this show has a bright future ahead, anyway, being dumped on Sundays. Frankly, I was sort of shocked it was renewed, considering the anemic ratings.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

Very good point. Honestly, I'm not at all certain that this show has a bright future ahead, anyway, being dumped on Sundays. Frankly, I was sort of shocked it was renewed, considering the anemic ratings.

Yeah, but given the dumpster fire that was ABC's drama ratings in the second half of the season renewal made sense especially since there are some strong business relationships involved (this series is more of a product of the boardroom than the writer's room and it shows in how many great actors they have and how little idea they had what to do with them and the interesting concept at times) and how they could fix the problems fairly easily and hope audiences would find it. I figured they would drop the weaker parts (like the ridiculous high budget blockbuster actions sequences) and.focus on the strongest parts like Bishop/Nolan. It just seems like a bad decision for both sides (why give up steady work? why let one of the best parts of your borderline show walk away?) unless there is something more going on.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

It just seems like a bad decision for both sides (why give up steady work? why let one of the best parts of your borderline show walk away?) unless there is something more going on.

No argument there. Perhaps, once the show is on the way out, the dirty laundry, if there is some, will come out as it did for NF's former show when that folded. That was a complete disaster. Not blaming NF here even if it sounds like it. But it is curious how much upheaval there is before a second season has even debuted.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

No argument there. Perhaps, once the show is on the way out, the dirty laundry, if there is some, will come out as it did for NF's former show when that folded. That was a complete disaster. Not blaming NF here even if it sounds like it. But it is curious how much upheaval there is before a second season has even debuted.

If I had to bet, after thinking it over, I'd personally put my money on typical network stupidity - trying to recreate the romantic tension of Castle thinking you'll get the same ratings and not realizing that this show has 99 problems but the lack of UST between the leads ain't one...

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 2
On 7/26/2019 at 9:43 PM, WendyCR72 said:

But Ali Larter is joining the show as an ER doctor who knew John Nolan in his past life. Also, with Bishop's exit, Lost alum, Harold Perrineau, will play a detective that takes Nolan under his wing. (This is mentioned in the article about Larter. Apparently, Perrineau was announced at the recent San Diego Comic Con.)

So they're replacing the Black woman with a White woman and a Black man.  How predictable -- I can smell the misogynoir from here. 

I'm out.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TWP said:

Cute! And hopefully a love interest for Nolan. 

Looking at his face in the background, it seems Nathan has regained a healthier weight again (better to "leap tall buildings in a single bound").

And if Ali Larter's character is a love interest, at least she's over 40.

2 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

Afton explains her departure. It definitely does not seem amicable to me. She said she walked because of sexual harassment and racial bullying.

Well, that's it. I can't imagine a faster way to get ABC to cancel a show. Look at Roseanne.

20 minutes ago, preeya said:

Afton Williamson Quit The Rookie After Allegations of Sexual Harassment, Racial Bullying Went Largely Ignored

READ IT HERE:   https://tinyurl.com/y2uhan7w

Wondering who the recurring guest star she references is.

Wow.  Sounds like she reported it to Hawley and he didn't do anything.  I wonder if the guest-star is Nolan's room-mate.  I think she had some scenes with him towards the end of the season.

I can see ABC either cancelling it completely or replacing Hawley.  It also probably depends on how much Nathan knew or didn't know.  

• Useful 2
1 hour ago, Misslindsey said:

Afton explains her departure. It definitely does not seem amicable to me. She said she walked because of sexual harassment and racial bullying.

As we talked about above "amicable" is usually PR speak for "we don't want to talk about what actually happened yet". It's really disappointing to hear the explanation - I was thinking it was typical network executive stupidity and I guess I was right, but it's both sad and frustrating that it was this type of typical television industry stupidity. And if I was borderline on the show before this pushes me over the line towards "cancel the show on the DVR and hope the actors I like are in something better next season."

1 hour ago, ketose said:

Well, that's it. I can't imagine a faster way to get ABC to cancel a show. Look at Roseanne.

This isn't really a comparable situation. There was nothing public and it wasn't the series lead engaging in the bad behavior. I do think that you are right that the show is toast since it was already borderline and was losing one of the best parts of the show and this kind of story isn't really conducive to getting lapsed and new viewers to check out the show, but I don't think it means immediate cancellation, since the network was almost certainly aware of the situation when they made the decision to renew it even if they want to pretend that they weren't.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

As we talked about above "amicable" is usually PR speak for "we don't want to talk about what actually happened yet". It's really disappointing to hear the explanation - I was thinking it was typical network executive stupidity and I guess I was right, but it's both sad and frustrating that it was this type of typical television industry stupidity. And if I was borderline on the show before this pushes me over the line towards "cancel the show on the DVR and hope the actors I like are in something better next season."

This isn't really a comparable situation. There was nothing public and it wasn't the series lead engaging in the bad behavior. I do think that you are right that the show is toast since it was already borderline and was losing one of the best parts of the show and this kind of story isn't really conducive to getting lapsed and new viewers to check out the show, but I don't think it means immediate cancellation, since the network was almost certainly aware of the situation when they made the decision to renew it even if they want to pretend that they weren't. 

Except now that she's gone public they are going to have to do something.  They might have thought they could handle it privately and give a settlement to stay quiet.    At the least they are going to be under pressure to fire Hawley.  

I'm surprised they would try and protect the hair department.  They would seem to be easily replaceable.  

• Love 1

That sucks. She was to me, the ONLY interesting character and the best actor on the show. 

I wonder if the recurring guest star is the guy that plays Nathan's rich friend and landlord on the show.

Edited by newyawk
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7
On 8/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, jhlipton said:

So they're replacing the Black woman with a White woman and a Black man.  How predictable -- I can smell the misogynoir from here

I'm out.

Look at it this way -- it took TWO people to replace her.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

23 minutes ago, break21 said:

Except now that she's gone public they are going to have to do something.  They might have thought they could handle it privately and give a settlement to stay quiet.    At the least they are going to be under pressure to fire Hawley.  

I'm surprised they would try and protect the hair department.  They would seem to be easily replaceable.  

I agree that it's quite likely they bring in a new showrunner and announce they are taking this very seriously and always had planned on taking serious action and in no way are they doing this just because it's public now. And that this show is doomed. But unless it comes out that Nathan is personally involved it's not an instant cancellation situation and more of a "the show is toast, but we're going to let it play out" thing.

I don't think that they tried to protect the hair department, it's more that Hawley and the network execs didn't take the situation seriously and couldn't be bothered taking real disciplinary action until it became an actual assault situation. Which is sad and frustrating, but unfortunately entirely believable given the voluminous evidence of this kind of thing happening all the time for quite awhile now.

9 minutes ago, newyawk said:

Crazy Days and Nights has a blind for this. Someone narrowed it down to Shawn Ashmore (Lopez's uptight lawyer boyfriend).

There were two recurring actors in the finale, Shawn Ashmore and Michael Beach. Ashmore didn't have scenes with Afton, Michael Beach did.

Edited by marihunc
actors, not characters
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

True. Look at Bull. Even after a huge settlement w/ Eliza Dushku, the show is coming back this fall. Sure, the ratings are better than The Rookie, but the network will look at this pretty much strictly as a business decision. ABC didn't think the show could survive Roseanne's statements. CBS made the opposite choice, and for this show, ABC is currently following suit. 

Dang it!  Bishop was my favorite character and with both her and the chief gone, I'm not sure how good the next season is going to be.  Ugh, I just feel like every new show I like either gets cancelled after one season or loses an actor/showrunner, which causes the entire thing to fall apart.  

• Love 4

Yeah, well, I thought this show was done the minute it was announced it was being banished to Sunday, a.k.a. the day of massive football overrun. Yes, ABC doesn't have football that night. But the other networks do, and you can bet most of the eyeballs will be elsewhere.

This mess - and we are only beginning season 2 (!) - will just probably make it easier to pull the plug if/when it does not perform well on its new night. While Fillion is not at fault, isn't he an EP? I'm not sure if he will remain unscathed or not. Maybe he just has the title but no real value like other actors before him. But if he does have any power, this does not look that great for him.

Alexei Hawley, however, should be replaced.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Yeah, well, I thought this show was done the minute it was announced it was being banished to Sunday, a.k.a. the day of massive football overrun. Yes, ABC doesn't have football that night. But the other networks do, and you can bet most of the eyeballs will be elsewhere.

This mess - and we are only beginning season 2 (!) - will just probably make it easier to pull the plug if/when it does not perform well on its new night. While Fillion is not at fault, isn't he an EP? I'm not sure if he will remain unscathed or not. Maybe he just has the title but no real value like other actors before him. But if he does have any power, this does not look that great for him.

It's definitely a mess - It made the Drudge Report - that's never good!

It amazes me how stupid Hawley is/was.  All he had to do was pass it off to HR and he would effectively be out of it.  Now, there's a good chance he will be fired and if not, the show is done.  No way this show can survive a change in night, loss of a major co-star and a racial/sexual harassment scandal. 

For now, I'll give NF the benefit of a doubt.  She doesn't say she went to him with the allegations (and if she did, I absolutely believe she would have put his name out there).  Unfortunately, even if was oblivious to the entire thing, he is the name of the show and he's going to take a hit.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Nathan and his agent have EP credits because ABC bought this as a "package" based on Nathan being attached and Hawley's business relationship with the network. It's a way of giving them backend profit participation. Also the article states Hawley didn't tell the producers or formally report the incidents to the proper HR staff. So based on what has been reported there is no reason to believe that Nathan did anything wrong or failed to do the right thing. Of course that could change as more reports come out.

And yes Hawley should be replaced and never allowed to run a show again. There is now ample proof of managerial incompetence.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, break21 said:

Wow.  Sounds like she reported it to Hawley and he didn't do anything.  I wonder if the guest-star is Nolan's room-mate.  I think she had some scenes with him towards the end of the season.

I can see ABC either cancelling it completely or replacing Hawley.  It also probably depends on how much Nathan knew or didn't know.  

She also talks about executive producers bullying her. Isn’t Nathan one of the EPs? 

Edited by devilhalo
54 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

She also talks about executive producers bullying her. Isn’t Nathan one of the EPs? 

There are about 8 other EP’s besides  Nathan and Michelle, who are likely a lot more involved in the actual production of the show. 

Its so unfair to everyone else to not name names in my opinion. 

• Love 1