Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, break21 said:

The ratings were pretty bad last night but the NFL Game was probably the best of the year.   I don't think they will be renewed if they don't stay at .6.  

With the end of Daylight Savings Time Saturday night, The Rookie was on what felt like an hour later 11/10 central last night. I think some viewers likely didn't stay up this week. We'll see if that plays out in the delayed viewing numbers. And then last Sunday it was football and The World Series game. Hoping it ticks back up next week.  

• Love 1
4 hours ago, devilhalo said:

It had already adjusted down to 0.5 in the finals two times in the past already. So this was its third 0.5. And ABC still gave the show a backorder despite that. ABC can’t expect better than 0.5 at 10 pm against football on a Sunday.

It's in a tough time-slot for sure.  It's in a bad position because it is an expensive show and only in it's 2nd season.   IMO, they can't consistently go below .6 and get renewed, but who knows?

5 hours ago, break21 said:

It's in a tough time-slot for sure.  It's in a bad position because it is an expensive show and only in it's 2nd season.   IMO, they can't consistently go below .6 and get renewed, but who knows?

ABC, CBS and NBC have overall network scripted averages in the 0.7's (and dropping). TR's season average is around 80% of ABC's scripted average. Ratings are not what they used to be. The best thing TR has going for it are the delayed ratings, and TR may go back up a bit when it's not against football because it has the largest % male audience of ABC's dramas.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BlakesMomma said:

ABC, CBS and NBC have overall network scripted averages in the 0.7's (and dropping). TR's season average is around 80% of ABC's scripted average. Ratings are not what they used to be. The best thing TR has going for it are the delayed ratings, and TR may go back up a bit when it's not against football because it has the largest % male audience of ABC's dramas.

You make good points.  It is not fair to compare shows,, but I will compare shows.  With "Castle", I had to watch it.  I had my boyfriend watching it, I never missed.  With TR, if I watch that's good, if I miss I don't really miss it.   Just my personal observation.  At this point, they aren't giving me a reason to make sure I watch the latest episode.  I missed the last one. (Holds head in shame), I watched the football game.   

The Rookie returns from it's winter hiatus on Feb. 23, a week after American Idol starts up.  Hopefully Idol will give it a boost in the live ratings.  Surprisingly, last week's Tudyk episode did lower ratings than the week before with a .5.  

Is there a big crossover with sportsball? 
Don't families have more than one TV?

I was at a stamp show today and not one of the (mostly male) collectors mentioned this was also Grey Cup Day (The Blue Bombers won. Not sure who they were playing.)

44 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

Is there a big crossover with sportsball? 
Don't families have more than one TV?

I was at a stamp show today and not one of the (mostly male) collectors mentioned this was also Grey Cup Day (The Blue Bombers won. Not sure who they were playing.)

Do you mean why is there no November 24, 2019 episode?Well it is the beginning of the American Thanksgiving week and increasingly that is the week for travel and family reunions. I  expect in a few years schools will take the entire week off.

And since there is an end of the year hole in the schedule before Christmas specials start up we have an other than Grammy music awards show on.

As for Sunday night sports just the regular NFL Sunday night game along with early season NBA and NHL games.

14 hours ago, Raja said:

Do you mean why is there no November 24, 2019 episode?Well it is the beginning of the American Thanksgiving week and increasingly that is the week for travel and family reunions. I  expect in a few years schools will take the entire week off.

And since there is an end of the year hole in the schedule before Christmas specials start up we have an other than Grammy music awards show on.

As for Sunday night sports just the regular NFL Sunday night game along with early season NBA and NHL games.

It wasn't football - ABC aired the American Music Awards.  That took up the entire night.

FYI, Abc is airing 3 episodes tonight including the fall finale again before new episodes return next week. Nice way to get back into the Rookie and at least ABC is looking to promote the show. I know a lot of viewers were complaining about the long delay between new episodes, but I think ABC was in a way protecting the show by waiting a bit longer and having the show return only in late February. Sundays in January and early February were already loaded with NFL playoffs, the Super Bowl, followed by the Golden Globes and Oscars.  No sense in wasting new episodes against that competition and it was going to be pre-empty anyway for the Oscars since they were on ABC.  I think ABC preferred to wait until now when all those event nights were over before resuming to air the Rookie. I hope the strategy works out and the ratings don't take much of a hit. At least now we'll get a string of uninterrupted new episodes for the next couple of months. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, break21 said:

NF apparently let it slip in an interview today that Season 3 is a go.   Don't want to spoil, but talked about the Season 2 Finale leading into Season 3,

I didn't take what he said in that interview as confirmation or him letting it slip that S3 is a go. The people involved in a series always talk positively about another season, even before they have confirmation.

12 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

I didn't take what he said in that interview as confirmation or him letting it slip that S3 is a go. The people involved in a series always talk positively about another season, even before they have confirmation.

All the shows likely know by now if they are coming back or not.  Shooting starts in July and pre-production starts late March (Covid will push it back of course - but they all know).

Covid will push it back-- especially since California has been working hard on isolating the virus.

It's a little like the Writer's Strike, not knowing when it can end, but that still allowed enough gathering to give us Dr. Horrible.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

Covid will push it back-- especially since California has been working hard on isolating the virus.

It's a little like the Writer's Strike, not knowing when it can end, but that still allowed enough gathering to give us Dr. Horrible.

I appreciate you qualifying the simile with “little.” I too have mentioned the Writers’ Strike when speculating about renewals, but more and more I realize there is no precedent for this pandemic WRT any programming (or anything). 😐

I'm in British Columbia, where Hollywood makes a lot of TV and movies.  We locked down pretty fast and things are fairly controlled, although the unemployment numbers are awful.

Our government is slowly and cautiously allowing a few businesses to open - cafes which have only been allowed take out will be allowed some seating in mid-month- and animation studios have not been closed at all since a lot of that can be done at home.
But TV and movie production will only be allowed for Canadian productions in the forseeable future.

A program as place-specific as The Rookie is unlikely to qualify in any case.

• Useful 1
On 5/8/2020 at 1:53 PM, break21 said:

All the shows likely know by now if they are coming back or not.  Shooting starts in July and pre-production starts late March (Covid will push it back of course - but they all know).

I don't think actors find out that far in advance before an announcement. (I also see no reason to keep it if a decision has been made and everything's been negotiated and is a done deal). CBS and NBC have announced renewals, the other networks haven't, as far as I know. (Maybe they have to crunch numbers a bit more or are still trying to figure out if it's worth investing in a new show at this point?)

• Love 1

Homecomofficial has a Rookie conference May 16th,  All the main players, including Nathan, will join in.

1 minute ago, break21 said:

Homeconofficial has a Rookie conference May 16th,  All the main players, including Nathan, will join in.

Pretty sure I spelled the link wrong,

On 5/19/2020 at 8:54 AM, Mom x 3 said:

That was great!  Thanks for sharing it.  I totally want to hang out with Richard and Michelle.

Michelle? 

5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

That was great. NF looks very good on video chat. 

I wonder why he dosen’t look that great on The Rookie. Is it the lighting? 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, break21 said:

Renewed for Season 3!

I remember when NF was on a late night talk show after Castle was renewed for season 3 and how it was a big deal to him because 2 seasons was his previous max.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I remember when NF was on a late night talk show after Castle was renewed for season 3 and how it was a big deal to him because 2 seasons was his previous max.

Yeah, happy for him.  He had some losers before he hit with Castle and now The Rookie.

2 hours ago, break21 said:

Yeah, happy for him.  He had some losers before he hit with Castle and now The Rookie.

I wouldn’t call Firefly a loser. It may have lasted for only 13 eps but is still talked about almost 20 years later.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, devilhalo said:

I wouldn’t call Firefly a loser. It may have lasted for only 13 eps but is still talked about almost 20 years later.

Yeah, I love Firefly - I was talking about commercially successful series - not quality.  Might have worded that wrong.

Anyway, happy for him.

• Love 2

Will The Rookie Season 3 Bring Lucy/ Tim Romance? Showrunner Warns That Would Be a 'Huge Line' to Cross

The dynamic between The Rookie‘s Officer Lucy Chen and TO Tim Bradford may have warmed up some during Season 2 of ABC’s light procedural, but that “intimacy” likely won’t segue anytime soon into romance.

From go, Tim (played by Eric Winter) was a gruff, all-business TO committed to cutting his “boot” little slack, all in the name of shaping Lucy (Melissa O’Neil) to be the best officer she can be. But in Season 2, Lucy’s very close brush with death, at the hands of Rosalind Dyer’s protege, Caleb Wright, affected Tim deeply — in part because he felt responsible for nudging Lucy into what turned out to be the date from Hell. In the aftermath of that harrowing ordeal, Tim seemed different, nurturing almost, especially when at Lucy’s hospital bedside he showed up with what he knew to be her specific take-out food of choice.

The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley admits there is now a certain “intimacy” between the TO and rookie, but warns that to take things too far would make hypocrites of the series’ writing staff.

Surveying the “Chenford” dynamic, Hawley told TVLine, “The actors definitely brought it. I mean, they’re just sogood individually and together.” Looking back to the drama’s launch, he said, “Tim was always designed to be a character who was much more complicated than he seemed, and Lucy was always designed to be a really strong ,empathetic character, but I think [what we’ve seen] is the magic of chemistry that happens that you just can’t know when you’re writing a pilot.”

That magic, however, won’t make a workplace romance appear. “We do walk a line — me maybe more than some of the staff —  about how there’s an intimacy between them that’s born from an incredibly heightened experience over these last two seasons,” Hawley noted. “But Tim would never cross that line. She’s his rookie and he would never even consider crossing that line. So while I’m obviously aware that there’s a big ‘shipping there, and I appreciate any kind of passion about the show, that’s a huge line [to cross]” for a TO and his padawan. (Eric Winter said same during a fall 2019 TV Insider interview: “It’s something that Bradford would never organically do, being a superior to her.”)

Hawley then pointed to the Season 1 plot point that cast aspersion on the secret romance between Chen and fellow rookie John Nolan (Nathan Fillion). “We’d be hypocrites [to write a Lucy/Tim romance] because we made it very clear in those first four or five episodes that female officers unfairly get tagged if they sleep with cops, and it’s why Nolan and Lucy couldn’t be together — and ultimately I think that was the right move. I mean, he was on the rebound from a 20-year marriage and she was 20 years his junior, and so it worked out the way it was supposed to, but if we turned around and threw [Lucy and Tim] together, that would be somewhat hypocritical.”

As for what is ahead for Chen and Bradford in Season 3, which will premiere… actually, ABC hasn’t said booabout its 2020-21 scheduling… Hawley shared in our Season 2 post mortem Q&A, “Tim has made a commitment to at least try and figure out what it’s going to be like with Rachel [now living] in New York.” Lucy meanwhile “is at the beginning of this relationship [with firefighter Emmett Lang] — but she’s probably still got some stuff she’s working out, even if it’s subconsciously, about what happened to her with Caleb back only a few months prior. I just don’t want to gloss over that.”

• Love 2

That's a relief.  I didn't think they'd go that way, and I really thought people shipping Lucy and Tim were kinda crazy for thinking it, because I never thought Tim would cross the line, but this is TV and I suppose anything is possible.  So I'm glad they've come right out and said No.

• Love 3

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 so everyone can see Nate Fillion's panel! It hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

A Conversation With Nathan Fillion
The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley talks with Nathan Fillion about his career in film and television. With special appearances by Joss Whedon, Alan Tudyk, Gina Torres, Mekia Cox, Molly Quinn, Seamus Dever and Jon Huertas.

On 6/8/2020 at 5:59 AM, devilhalo said:

Will The Rookie Season 3 Bring Lucy/ Tim Romance? Showrunner Warns That Would Be a 'Huge Line' to Cross

The dynamic between The Rookie‘s Officer Lucy Chen and TO Tim Bradford may have warmed up some during Season 2 of ABC’s light procedural, but that “intimacy” likely won’t segue anytime soon into romance.

From go, Tim (played by Eric Winter) was a gruff, all-business TO committed to cutting his “boot” little slack, all in the name of shaping Lucy (Melissa O’Neil) to be the best officer she can be. But in Season 2, Lucy’s very close brush with death, at the hands of Rosalind Dyer’s protege, Caleb Wright, affected Tim deeply — in part because he felt responsible for nudging Lucy into what turned out to be the date from Hell. In the aftermath of that harrowing ordeal, Tim seemed different, nurturing almost, especially when at Lucy’s hospital bedside he showed up with what he knew to be her specific take-out food of choice.

The Rookie showrunner Alexi Hawley admits there is now a certain “intimacy” between the TO and rookie, but warns that to take things too far would make hypocrites of the series’ writing staff.

Surveying the “Chenford” dynamic, Hawley told TVLine, “The actors definitely brought it. I mean, they’re just sogood individually and together.” Looking back to the drama’s launch, he said, “Tim was always designed to be a character who was much more complicated than he seemed, and Lucy was always designed to be a really strong ,empathetic character, but I think [what we’ve seen] is the magic of chemistry that happens that you just can’t know when you’re writing a pilot.”

That magic, however, won’t make a workplace romance appear. “We do walk a line — me maybe more than some of the staff —  about how there’s an intimacy between them that’s born from an incredibly heightened experience over these last two seasons,” Hawley noted. “But Tim would never cross that line. She’s his rookie and he would never even consider crossing that line. So while I’m obviously aware that there’s a big ‘shipping there, and I appreciate any kind of passion about the show, that’s a huge line [to cross]” for a TO and his padawan. (Eric Winter said same during a fall 2019 TV Insider interview: “It’s something that Bradford would never organically do, being a superior to her.”)

Hawley then pointed to the Season 1 plot point that cast aspersion on the secret romance between Chen and fellow rookie John Nolan (Nathan Fillion). “We’d be hypocrites [to write a Lucy/Tim romance] because we made it very clear in those first four or five episodes that female officers unfairly get tagged if they sleep with cops, and it’s why Nolan and Lucy couldn’t be together — and ultimately I think that was the right move. I mean, he was on the rebound from a 20-year marriage and she was 20 years his junior, and so it worked out the way it was supposed to, but if we turned around and threw [Lucy and Tim] together, that would be somewhat hypocritical.”

As for what is ahead for Chen and Bradford in Season 3, which will premiere… actually, ABC hasn’t said booabout its 2020-21 scheduling… Hawley shared in our Season 2 post mortem Q&A, “Tim has made a commitment to at least try and figure out what it’s going to be like with Rachel [now living] in New York.” Lucy meanwhile “is at the beginning of this relationship [with firefighter Emmett Lang] — but she’s probably still got some stuff she’s working out, even if it’s subconsciously, about what happened to her with Caleb back only a few months prior. I just don’t want to gloss over that.”

While I'm not a full blown shipper of Chen and Bradford, I thought I would spin a positive light on the article for those who are shippers 🙂  Reading between the lines of the above article stating the show not wanting to cross the line in writing a romantic relationship between a superior and their subordinate,  I could still see the writers addressing the chemistry issue by having one of the 2 characters developing romantic feelings for the other and then not acting on it for the reasons stated in the article.  The show could then revisit the romantic issue between the 2 characters down the line in future seasons when Bradford is no longer Chen's training officer. 

11 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

While I'm not a full blown shipper of Chen and Bradford, I thought I would spin a positive light on the article for those who are shippers 🙂  Reading between the lines of the above article stating the show not wanting to cross the line in writing a romantic relationship between a superior and their subordinate,  I could still see the writers addressing the chemistry issue by having one of the 2 characters developing romantic feelings for the other and then not acting on it for the reasons stated in the article.  The show could then revisit the romantic issue between the 2 characters down the line in future seasons when Bradford is no longer Chen's training officer. 

Pretty much this. I'm not a shipper for them but I do think they work well together and I dont think people are silly or crazy for thinking or hoping it will happen, even though this isn't a show like Grey's Anatomy where everyone is openly dating a boss/subordinate. It's TV couples, get together even if showrunners have made a big deal about it not happening in other situations. I could definitely see it happening if this show makes it to later seasons. Although Hawley like many showrunners usually seems to like the tease and bait and switch more than writing a long term couple anyway. 

• Love 2
On 8/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, BlakesMomma said:

Rumor and comments from The Rookie crew indicate principle filming will begin on September 19th, with S3 premiere in late October or November according to Hollywood Reporter. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/abc-pushes-scripted-originals-from-fall-schedule

This should be interesting on how they are able to film around covid-19.  I'm expecting more episodes to feature police car chases and less scenes inside the police station. 

14 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

This should be interesting on how they are able to film around covid-19.  I'm expecting more episodes to feature police car chases and less scenes inside the police station. 

Crazy camera angles so you can't see that there's more than six feet b/w the stunt people during a fight. And lots of extreme close-ups of the actors for reaction shots after "being hit."

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

Crazy camera angles so you can't see that there's more than six feet b/w the stunt people during a fight. And lots of extreme close-ups of the actors for reaction shots after "being hit."

Lol yes !

The Captain's briefing room will always be empty except for our 3 rookies and their TOs appropriately spread out in the room.  The mostly empty briefing room will be explained as everyone else already out on their "assignments".  Rosalind's character will now be Nolan's new informant and she'll show up in each episode by way of either a phone call or Nolan visiting her in jail separated by a safety glass.  Nolan will only talk about his new love interest but we'll never actually see her.  

• Love 1