Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

The mostly empty briefing room will be explained as everyone else already out on their "assignments".

Code for:

• Quarantined at home / hospital
  • Suspended / fired for attempted murder / murder of unarmed civilians
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Have TPTB stated that stories won't include the police wearing masks? I would guess they wouldn't want to do that because actors need to act with their faces, but I just wondered.

They could wear clear masks - I know a guy with a deaf son. His teachers are going to be wearing clear masks so his son can read their lips during instruction

• Love 2

In general I think that TV shows that are based in the "real world" (aka, not science fiction or historical pieces) should reflect current political/social realities.  But, I will make an exception for Covid 19.  I do not want to watch tv with all actors masked as they would be in real life.  TV needs to be an escape, so let's just let Hollywood ignore that Covid 19 has ever happened.  How they will go about doing that - from a filming perspective - is beyond me, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, chaifan said:

In general I think that TV shows that are based in the "real world" (aka, not science fiction or historical pieces) should reflect current political/social realities.  But, I will make an exception for Covid 19.  I do not want to watch tv with all actors masked as they would be in real life.  TV needs to be an escape, so let's just let Hollywood ignore that Covid 19 has ever happened.  How they will go about doing that - from a filming perspective - is beyond me, but I'm sure someone will figure it out. 

I would imagine production wise just a version of the bubbles that professional sports organizations are using.  Story wise since we are going into the third year of the rookies boot year like the 3 year Korean War lasted for 8 years on MASH so just ignore 2020 altogether just like most shows ignore partisan politics. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Raja said:

I would imagine production wise just a version of the bubbles that professional sports organizations are using.  Story wise since we are going into the third year of the rookies boot year like the 3 year Korean War lasted for 8 years on MASH so just ignore 2020 altogether just like most shows ignore partisan politics. 

That makes sense. 

I wonder if this or any shows that are writing for this season did any surveys outside of the writing room asking how viewers would feel about the inclusion of mask use and social distancing included on screen -- whether seen or just talked about, like "it's a good thing we've all tested positive so don't need to wear masks or social distance here at the station" and/or "I sure am glad these clear visors are easy to breathe with and not hot at all" (even though visors are hot IRL).

12 hours ago, chaifan said:

Amen! I want the escape, I get enough reality in everything else. They just need to be vigilant about testing etc. SWAT seems to be doing fine and they've been filming for a few weeks now.

• Love 1

ABC has released its scheduled November premiere dates for various returning and new shows, but The Rookie is not among them. Apparently, it is delayed, to premiere "later in the season", whenever that is.

For the record, NBC is having its premieres of both Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Organized Crime (the Elliot Stabler spinoff) on November 12th, so I doubt real-life issues are the reason The Rookie is delayed.

But it sounds like it is being pushed to mid season.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

ABC has released its scheduled November premiere dates for various returning and new shows, but The Rookie is not among them. Apparently, it is delayed, to premiere "later in the season", whenever that is.

Some genius decided to stretch one bad episode of CSI / Criminal Minds into a season.... Unsub long haul truck driver murdering along his route...Big Sky will likely get cancelled and need The Rookie to fill in...

8 hours ago, paigow said:

Some genius decided to stretch one bad episode of CSI / Criminal Minds into a season.... Unsub long haul truck driver murdering along his route...Big Sky will likely get cancelled and need The Rookie to fill in...

Could be used as filler, but Big Sky has the former Tuesday slot that The Rookie started with. Looking at Sunday, its current night, it is dominated by game shows. (As an aside, Big Sky is a "big no" from me, not just because of the creepy premise, but because - fair or not - I still cannot look at poor Katheryn Winnick without seeing Hannah on Bones. )

12 hours ago, paigow said:

They are remaking Unsub 1989 the proto CSI/Criminal Minds show staring David Soul (Hutch) of Starsky  and Hutch

22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

For the record, NBC is having its premieres of both Law & Order: SVU and Law & Order: Organized Crime (the Elliot Stabler spinoff) on November 12th, so I doubt real-life issues are the reason The Rookie is delayed.

Regarding filming, the L&O shows aren't really known for their high speed chases or fight scenes, so it's probably easier to film in this COVID era. Also, while I believe the rate of infection has come down in California, it's probably still higher than it is in NY. Whether that can have some additional impact on filming, I don't know. But, I'd think the L&O shows could pare down their casts much easier than The Rookie can. 

On 9/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, Loandbehold said:

Regarding filming, the L&O shows aren't really known for their high speed chases or fight scenes, 

Stabler can safely beat confessions out of dirtbags with 7 ft lengths of pipe / lumber...

Since it was brought up, I'll go OT for a sec and say, like The Rookie, the Stabler spinoff (unsure about SVU) has been pushed back from its November 12th date. But unlike this show, a reason was given as the show runner exiting and looking for a replacement.

Unsure if the virus issue is playing a role or not...

So...looks like most cop shows are sitting on the bench for a bit.

16 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Since it was brought up, I'll go OT for a sec and say, like The Rookie, the Stabler spinoff (unsure about SVU) has been pushed back from its November 12th date. But unlike this show, a reason was given as the show runner exiting and looking for a replacement.

Unsure if the virus issue is playing a role or not...

So...looks like most cop shows are sitting on the bench for a bit.

Not really. SVU, Chicago PD, SWAT, NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:New Orleans are all coming back this year. Part 1 of season 5 of  Lucifer also released in Netflix last month. 

Edited by devilhalo
15 hours ago, devilhalo said:

Not really. SVU, Chicago PD, SWAT, NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:New Orleans are all coming back this year. Part 1 of season 5 of  Lucifer also released in Netflix last month. 

tbf Lucifer is different from the shows that are purely cops

Lucifer is the devil is a consultant for the police

The Rookie (Presented by ENTERTAINMENT ONE)

(Scripted, S1: 20x60 min., S2: 20x60 min., S3: coming soon) In the last push of his rookie year, John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD, is determined to answer the question: What comes next? As he pieces his life together after the betrayal of his mentor, Nolan will navigate new flames, dangerous cases, and demanding challenges as he searches for clarity on the next chapter of his life.

3 hours ago, devilhalo said:

The Rookie (Presented by ENTERTAINMENT ONE)

(Scripted, S1: 20x60 min., S2: 20x60 min., S3: coming soon) In the last push of his rookie year, John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD, is determined to answer the question: What comes next? As he pieces his life together after the betrayal of his mentor, Nolan will navigate new flames, dangerous cases, and demanding challenges as he searches for clarity on the next chapter of his life.

I hope the new season will be better. 

• Love 1
On 10/9/2020 at 3:28 AM, Waterston Fan said:

I hope the new season will be better. 

Hopefully but my interest went way down as soon as I read “New Flames”. Tired of him having new GFs every season. And it looks like it will be more than one too. 

And it also appears that Grace isn’t coming back as they said “New Flames”. Makes sense as the actress has a new show. 

Also, As per the producer Jon Steinberg Twitter, season 3 will air from January 2021 

Edited by devilhalo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, devilhalo said:

And it also appears that Grace isn’t coming back as they said “New Fames”. Makes sense as the actress has a new show. 

They will make good use of the hospital sets...The new girlfriend will work there as well...

• LOL 2
42 minutes ago, devilhalo said:

I think it might be a bit of an overstatement to say the SEASON will be about BLM. Saying you will be addressing it this season doesn't mean the entire season will be about BLM. I've watched enough series and enough of these pre-season interviews/spoilers to know they start out the season but don't often continue throughout. A lot of that depending on how it is received and ratings, etc.

Just look at that Brandon Routh announcement. It's pretty obvious he is going to be the "bad" cop, but he is only signed for 4 episodes, with the possibility of more.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, BlakesMomma said:

I think it might be a bit of an overstatement to say the SEASON will be about BLM. Saying you will be addressing it this season doesn't mean the entire season will be about BLM. I've watched enough series and enough of these pre-season interviews/spoilers to know they start out the season but don't often continue throughout. A lot of that depending on how it is received and ratings, etc.

Just look at that Brandon Routh announcement. It's pretty obvious he is going to be the "bad" cop, but he is only signed for 4 episodes, with the possibility of more.

It was said in the video, they will be covering BLM in every episode this season. 
“We will be covering the issues in every single episode we do this season”. 

2 hours ago, devilhalo said:

But they just posted a pic of her on their Twitter. So I am wondering if it means she is back? 

Then perhaps they WEREN'T bailed out. 😉

Ah, I just looked into it and it turns out that they never got a chance to shoot her pilot, so she mentioned back in July that since her schedule was now free, she'd be open to returning for more episodes. Poor The Rookie, they almost avoided the bad Larter PR and now they're going to get it!

On 12/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, devilhalo said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-one-writers-room-is-rethinking-policing-on-tv

"We want to change things for as long as we get to do this show."

I'm pretty sure the audience for cop shows is going to be at least a little bit pro-cop and isn't going to enjoy the anti-cop stories that Hawley appears to be planning.  They won't stay for more than an episode. Maybe the story lines will bring in viewers who don't normally watch cop shows?  But why would they watch either if this isn't their genre.  Maybe I'm naive and really don't understand the market for cop-hating cop shows.  Maybe it's huge? It seems a little too ironic by half.  Realistically, I think The Rookie is gone after this season.  I always thought Fillion was stupid to take a cop show because of the Castle angst.  Now I KNOW he was.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:25 AM, devilhalo said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-one-writers-room-is-rethinking-policing-on-tv

"We want to change things for as long as we get to do this show."

I'm pretty sure the audience for cop shows is going to be at least a little bit pro-cop and isn't going to enjoy the anti-cop stories that Hawley appears to be planning.  They won't stay for more than an episode. Maybe the story lines will bring in viewers who don't normally watch cop shows?  But why would they watch either if this isn't their genre.  Maybe I'm naïve and really don't understand the market for cop-hating cop shows.  Maybe it's huge? It seems a little too ironic by half.  Realistically, I think The Rookie is gone after this season.  I always thought Fillion was stupid to take a cop show because it might remind people of the Castle angst.  Now I KNOW he was, but because the writers completely don't understand their audience.  But that's normal for Hawley, given that he used to call Castle viewers names if they complained about the story lines.

Edited by TWP
1 hour ago, TWP said:

I'm pretty sure the audience for cop shows is going to be at least a little bit pro-cop and isn't going to enjoy the anti-cop stories that Hawley appears to be planning.  They won't stay for more than an episode. Maybe the story lines will bring in viewers who don't normally watch cop shows?  But why would they watch either if this isn't their genre.  Maybe I'm naïve and really don't understand the market for cop-hating cop shows.  Maybe it's huge? It seems a little too ironic by half.  Realistically, I think The Rookie is gone after this season.  I always thought Fillion was stupid to take a cop show because it might remind people of the Castle angst.  Now I KNOW he was, but because the writers completely don't understand their audience.  But that's normal for Hawley, given that he used to call Castle viewers names if they complained about the story lines.

I'm anti-cop and I enjoy the show, mostly because Fillion is enjoyable. Hopefully he gets a better show next season when this is cancelled.

Maybe he'll get a role on season 3 of Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (Hopefully it does well this season and gets renewed) 😄

• Love 1
On 1/3/2021 at 12:14 AM, TWP said:

I don't know why you automatically assume that incorporating realistic story lines about racism will be "anti-cop" or turn this into a "cop hating" show. 

Here's a summary of Hawley's season 3 plans, from the article:  "producers insist it will still be the levity-filled drama about a middle-aged man starting a career as a beat cop.  But it also addresses racism on the force, the over-policing of Black communities, the question of alternative solutions to traditional law enforcement and, just as importantly to Marston, lots of small things procedurals tend to overlook."  Thats not anti-cop, it's anti racism.  Was Armstrong's plot line about being a dirty cop "anti-cop"?  No, it's anti-dirty cop. 

How you get "anti-cop" and "cop hating" out of that description is a mystery to me. 

• Love 4

Things are getting perilously close to politics. As you are all aware, that is not allowed. Please keep the "pro/anti-cop" sentiments to what airs on this show only, which means commenting on episode content, not real-life/outside attitudes. Thank you.

• Love 1

Do Americans do "sentencing circles"? This is a big thing with aboriginal Canadians who run afoul of the law. Basically the community (or just the elders, who are not necessarily old) sit the perpetrator down and discuss what he did wrong, why it was wrong, and how he plans to make it right.

It's been happening for a long time. One of my many BILs was a judge in the NorthWestTerritories when it was still plural, and he incorporated circles into his judgements and sentencing, which could range from community service to flying South to the penitentiary. The sort of thing that Nolan would love.

• Love 1

null

Spoiler

I've been a Browncoat for many years and here is  a crossover between The Rookie and Serenity (or as we in the fandom call it, the Big Damn Movie).
This is what happens when River is triggered by a commercial for cookies.

Edited by femmefan1946
won't take
14 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

This is what happens when River is triggered by a commercial for cookies.

Summer Glau is awesome, as are all the cast of your "Big Damn Movie", as is the movie itself. 

Funny how well The Rookie theme fits those sequences.

Maybe Glau can do a cameo role? On The Rookie, I mean.

Edited by Netfoot
On 1/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, femmefan1946 said:

Do Americans do "sentencing circles"? This is a big thing with aboriginal Canadians who run afoul of the law. Basically the community (or just the elders, who are not necessarily old) sit the perpetrator down and discuss what he did wrong, why it was wrong, and how he plans to make it right.

It's been happening for a long time. One of my many BILs was a judge in the NorthWestTerritories when it was still plural, and he incorporated circles into his judgements and sentencing, which could range from community service to flying South to the penitentiary. The sort of thing that Nolan would love.

The college where I was employed did something similar, but it can mean serial offenders get off with no real consequences while victims can feel humiliated or like they are betraying the group. I imagine it works better when those involved are part of a permanent community. 

• Love 1

Yes, these are done in permanent communities. Many reserves are very small and isolated. It is healthier for the whole community to find the right treatment for an offender (and victim) than to banish someone to jail or the streets of Vancouver or Thunder Bay.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moose135 said:

Did I miss something? Looks like four episodes in, and they are already running a repeat...

That is going on with many shows along with nontraditional spots for hiatus placement. Just another victim of the pandemic and humanity's countermeasures 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Raja said:

That is going on with many shows along with nontraditional spots for hiatus placement. Just another victim of the pandemic and humanity's countermeasures 

CBS Super Bowl next week followed by Queen Latifah Equalizer reboot... Nolan gets next week off too?