Type keyword(s) to search

All Points Bulletin: All Things Media And News!

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, paigow said:

CBS Super Bowl next week followed by Queen Latifah Equalizer reboot... Nolan gets next week off too?

Sometimes they stay with the normal programming other times non game covering networks don't waste a new; episode on holiday which the Super Bowl is a quasi holiday weekends.

1 hour ago, paigow said:

CBS Super Bowl next week followed by Queen Latifah Equalizer reboot... Nolan gets next week off too?

Yes next week off also, then returns February 14 after the season premiere of American Idol. Last season the lead-in change to Idol really helped TR's ratings.

It is weird that they didn't show a new episode last night since there was no football and really, not much of anything on. It's tough to keep an audience when you have two or three episodes followed by a three or four week hiatus. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

It is weird that they didn't show a new episode last night since there was no football and really, not much of anything on. It's tough to keep an audience when you have two or three episodes followed by a three or four week hiatus. 

Remember their crew had many COVID cases from September forward. And thus they slowed down the production of new episodes.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I'm guessing it's because of the COVID on set that they didn't have an episode last night

18 hours ago, Raja said:

Remember their crew had many COVID cases from September forward. And thus they slowed down the production of new episodes.

They also started production late in September instead of mid-July and it is taking longer than the normal 8 days to film each episode because of Covid measures. They also shut down for a couple weeks in December due to a couple crew with positive Covid tests. So they need time to keep episode production ahead of weekly airing dates. 

• Useful 3
On 2/1/2021 at 8:57 AM, Moose135 said:

Did I miss something? Looks like four episodes in, and they are already running a repeat...

Because of Covid. They shut down production in December and also in January. They started filming again only from the 3rd week of January. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Fillion is a Whedon Icon... Wonder what he has to say about toxic workplace???

I was wondering if we'd hear anything from the Firefly cast.  There were enough females in that cast, mostly unknowns.  However, I think all but Summer Glau were a little older and more established and from what I've read, Whedon seemed to mostly harass the younger females.

2 hours ago, DanaK said:

Thank you ABC for the renewal.  But I'm still mad about you cancelling "Forever" and "Whisky Cavalier" but this renewal helps 😜.   Honestly, I could easily see the Rookie going into a 5th season the way the ratings have been consistent for 2 years now since moving to Sunday nights. The ratings on Sunday night for the key demo are very good overall considering the time slot.  

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Thank you ABC for the renewal.  But I'm still mad about you cancelling "Forever" and "Whisky Cavalier" but this renewal helps 😜.   Honestly, I could easily see the Rookie going into a 5th season the way the ratings have been consistent for 2 years now since moving to Sunday nights. The ratings on Sunday night for the key demo are very good overall considering the time slot.  

also still mad about those two being canned

• Love 1

The Rookie writers are back at work, the transportation department goes back to work next week and S4 filming begins mid-July according to Rupert Cole, TR Transportation Dispatcher.

Rupert Cole @therupert

Replying to @therookiefan

I start back to work next week. We start filming in July.

9 hours ago, Thomas Crown said:

Promo is up for the season premiere which is only 3 weeks away.  Lots of interesting speculation based on that promo.  Episode is titled "Life and Death".  

Season 4 Promo

um so after last season being about police accountability... in this one they travel to a foreign country and commit a slew of crimes?

1 hour ago, bros402 said:

um so after last season being about police accountability... in this one they travel to a foreign country and commit a slew of crimes?

Yes, because it doesn’t count when you do it in another country… 😉

• Love 1

Ugh.  If they don't resolve that plot line in 2 episodes, I'm out.  I watch The Rookie because it is mostly light hearted, a fun vehicle for Nathan Fillion's one liners, self depreciating humor and pratfalls.  This looks way too serious for me.

17 hours ago, bros402 said:

So true.  Also, the action scenes in Guatemala look like they recycled some sets from an old A-team episode.  Soldiers of fortune living in the Los Angeles underground on a dangerous mission they are not. Still it looks like a fun intense season premiere. 

Speculation based on an important cast member not in the Promo

Spoiler

So where is Smitty ? 😀  He better not be dead. 

Seriously though, it appears that Jackson does not make it.  Might also explain the episode title "Life and Death" meaning life for Angela's new baby and death for Jackson. Also gives a purpose to the scene with Bradford comforting Lucy.

• LOL 1

Some good to come of the tragedy:
"ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Bans 'Live' Guns on Set: The change, effective Friday, comes in the wake of the fatal shooting on the set of Alec Baldwin's 'Rust.'"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rookie-bans-live-guns-on-set-1235035568/

...The series has, over the past two seasons, primarily used CGI to portray muzzle flashes but occasionally used “live” weapons on “big, outside set pieces.” That policy ended Friday as Hawley sent a memo to staff...

BTW, "blanks" are also considered to be "live ammunition."

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 10/23/2021 at 11:39 AM, shapeshifter said:

Some good to come of the tragedy:
"ABC’s ‘The Rookie’ Bans 'Live' Guns on Set: The change, effective Friday, comes in the wake of the fatal shooting on the set of Alec Baldwin's 'Rust.'"
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/rookie-bans-live-guns-on-set-1235035568/

BTW, "blanks" are also considered to be "live ammunition."

Good call by those in charge.  Any risk is too much risk and there really is no need to have real guns on set.  I really don't think it will make too much difference for the viewing audience if the scenes are played out with fake guns. 

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Thomas Crown said:

Good call by those in charge.  Any risk is too much risk and there really is no need to have real guns on set.  I really don't think it will make too much difference for the viewing audience if the scenes are played out with fake guns.

A lot has been written elsewhere about the high cost of substituting CGI for the explosion of blanks. I wonder if NF offered to offset? 

The Industry could higher some coders to create a CGI script that produced believable effects,* and then make it open source in the interest of saving lives and honoring those lost. 
But will they?

*I'm thinking of the countless legion of names of coders that have scrolled past my eyes on my screen when PhotoShop loads its impossibly complex and seemingly endless array of features--names that have cycled in and then out for 20+ years
--and thinking it would be a pittance to the Hollywood wealthy to hire a few starving coders to make believable CGI for muzzle flash and even kickback. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

A lot has been written elsewhere about the high cost of substituting CGI for the explosion of blanks. I wonder if NF offered to offset? 

The Industry could higher some coders to create a CGI script that produced believable effects,* and then make it open source in the interest of saving lives and honoring those lost. 
But will they?

*I'm thinking of the countless legion of names of coders that have scrolled past my eyes on my screen when PhotoShop loads its impossibly complex and seemingly endless array of features--names that have cycled in and then out for 20+ years
--and thinking it would be a pittance to the Hollywood wealthy to hire a few starving coders to make believable CGI for muzzle flash and even kickback. 

From something I was reading the other day, a muzzle flash is one of the basic CG effects people learn when learning how to do CG - they'd just need to make one that is a bit more realistic looking

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

From something I was reading the other day, a muzzle flash is one of the basic CG effects people learn when learning how to do CG - they'd just need to make one that is a bit more realistic looking

I read one FX guy claim that real muzzle flashes actually look weird on film, so the CGI is actually BETTER looking! 

5 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

I read one FX guy claim that real muzzle flashes actually look weird on film, so the CGI is actually BETTER looking! 

It depends to some extent on the cartridge being used, with more powerful loads producing more muzzle-flash. I wouldn't think the standard police load would be particularly flashy. 

But the mose most significant factor would be lighting. In strong light you probably won't see a flash at all. At night or in a dimly lit space, the flash will manifest itself more. 

Bear in mind that unless the round has been designed specifically to produce a flash (like the famous "Dragon's Breath" shotgun shells), it will will most likely have been designed not to produce a flash or smoke.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Useful 3

By the way, here is a YT video showing the "Dragon's breath" cartridges in use:

These are a less-lethal round intended to intimidate and scare off intruders and prowlers who may attempt mischief at night.

These give new meaning to the term muzzle-flash!

By comparison, there are plenty of YT videos reviewing firearms of all type, mostly in daylight at the range (too many for me to pick one; search for yourself). Few, if any, show muzzle-flash to any degree, if at all.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I have read elsewhere also that not having a live round, even if its a blank, changes the feel of firing and it ends up looking wrong as the actors can't quite get the recoil etc right. So its not just to do with the muzzle flash. Although I am just repeating things read elsewhere and don't have firsthand experience.

2 hours ago, Megras said:

I have read elsewhere also that not having a live round, even if its a blank, changes the feel of firing and it ends up looking wrong as the actors can't quite get the recoil etc right. So its not just to do with the muzzle flash. Although I am just repeating things read elsewhere and don't have firsthand experience.

I've read that too and have no experience either, but I BELIEVE that CGI could be written to simulate a person recoiling.

I  Don't claim any particular expertise in movie gun-play, but I believe that simple mechanical alterations could be used to good effect, On the set of The Rookie. An automatic can be made to cycle the slide with a very low-powered blank cartridge, perhaps one with no powder in it at all - only the primer. 

A gas-operated action can be stimulated by adding a restrictor to the barrel. This is basically a plug with a hole in it much smaller than the muzzle, restricting the flow of gas out of the muzzle enough that the action will cycle. Or better, a replacement barrel with the restrictor as an integral part of the barrel instead if a plug which could conceivably come loose to become a lethal projectile in its own right. (Post-WWI barnstormers used this technique to get the machine guns on their old war-planes to cycle during their flying displays.)

Recoil operated weapons could be fitted with lighter recoil springs so the reduced recoil of a watered down blank cartridge will still cycle the action. Shooters do the opposite when trying extra powerful loads; they fit stronger recoil springs.

And of course, a revolver typically needs no changes to be made whatsoever.

Weapon selection might be made for police and baddies on The Rookie based on ease of conversion to operate with lightly loaded blanks, unless some historically accurate firearm needed to be used to facilitate the storytelling.

As for the visible effect on the actor firing the weapon, what is needed here is a looser grip. A small pistol like a .22 will still recoil, if you hold it less tightly than a heavier caliber. The same would be true for a tame blank cartridge 

In the recent case we've all no doubt heard of, it seems to me that the weapon itself was not directly the issue (but see on). It would appear that several common-sense safety procedures/protocols were simply ignored for reasons unknown (convenience? Stupidity?) with tragic results. I see the fact that the revolver in question had already misfired or malfunctioned two or three times before the incident and was still in use, as lethal stupidity at work. Just one of at least five dumb-assed moves I can think of, that lead to a fatality.

But I've probably said too much. They love to beat up on me, so I'll say no more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

It would appear that several common-sense safety procedures/protocols were simply ignored for reasons unknown (convenience? Stupidity?) with tragic results.

--also possibly rampant sleep deprivation (even among the major players) which can lead to many failures to follow safety protocols--whether organizational or personal.

--and likely a creeping group think of "the other guys probably already checked this."

11 hours ago, Megras said:

So in theory without a pronounced bang a a shell casing kicking out the actor will act like a Terminator, a super robot not effected by the recoil of a puny weapon. Or a Starfleet officer on TNG where their primary  sidearm was designed not to look like a pistol. Since presumably a phaser does not recoil so the tactical shooting stances seen since Starsky and Hutch are not needed.

I just happened to be in a Stargate SG-1 watch and season 7 happened during the run up to Iraq. It was said by podcasters commenting on those episodes that the brass needed for their signature weapon was no longer available as military special forces grabbed it all for training and combat.  So they made a special weapon for Amanda Tapping's Major Carter but it only fired one round at a time and they then CGI'd the rest of the firing in like they did for the alien staff ray weapons.  As soon as blank ammunition again became available they went back to firing hundreds of blanks as I guess 20 years ago that was still the cheaper and better way.

12 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Am guessing Bailey is/will be one of the MVP for the killer/arsonist story. Will she be killed in the season finale? Nolan needs continuous dramas in his life.🤔

Nolan's girlfriend picker is total shit, so I can buy this scenario.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Surrealist said:

So, basically, another version of Castle.

Castle was all about the will they/won't they. That doesn't exist here. The only thing the same is that they interact on their jobs. And in TR they don't work together every day in the all day like Castle. The Nolan/Bailey relationship is nothing like Castle in my opinion.

And note this comment from the article:

"Nolan having a love interest with whom he also interacts professionally echoes the successful formula of Fillion’s former hit ABC series Castle." 

This comment is Nellie, the article author's comment, not Hawley's. Author has no idea whether it will echo Castle or not.

I like Bailey. I think they play off each other well.

Edited by BlakesMomma
  • Love 1

Eh, I don't know about Castle.  The whole conceit of the show was that eventually the two main leads would wind up together simply based on the concept.

As for Nolan and Bailey, I can tolerate it if they aren't constantly finding ways to put them in each others work lives.  I didn't mind it when he was seeing the doctor but between he and Bailey's, whose job is more dangerous, that will get pretty old and fast.  If they are setting this up to tie in to the serial killer storyline somehow, who knows?  Is she the killer or possible victim?

I don't have much faith in TPTB that they will be able to write this and not screw it up.  Based on another blog and even here Jenna's character either seems to be liked or really not liked with no in-between.

Edited by milkyaqua
2 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

Castle was all about the will they/won't they. That doesn't exist here. The only thing the same is that they interact on their jobs. And in TR they don't work together every day in the all day like Castle. The Nolan/Bailey relationship is nothing like Castle in my opinion.

It'd be like Castle (or any other kind of show with male/female partnership went romantic after years of slow-build, like Bradford/Chen), if it was Nolan/Bishop, Nolan/Nyla or even Nolan/Chen. As it stands, Nolan's love life on the show is basically an "instant puppy love" with a guest star, and Nolan/Bailey is not exception to this.

• Love 1

The Rookie Casts Peyton List as Tim's Sister, James Remar as Their Father

TVLine can exclusively report that Peyton List (The Tomorrow People, The Flash) has landed the role of Gennifer “Genny” Bradford, who — just like her “baby brother” — is not someone to be trifled with. First appearing in this season’s eighth episode, Genny shows up in L.A. unannounced to try and convince her brother to repair and sell their father’s house.

Speaking of dear ol’ dad (aka Tom Bradford), TVLine has also learned that James Remar (Dexter, Black Lightning) will fill that plum role, appearing alongside List and Winter in Episode 9, which is penciled in to air Dec. 12.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

Eh, I don't know about Castle.  The whole conceit of the show was that eventually the two main leads would wind up together simply based on the concept.

As for Nolan and Bailey, I can tolerate it if they aren't constantly finding ways to put them in each others work lives.  I didn't mind it when he was seeing the doctor but between he and Bailey's, whose job is more dangerous, that will get pretty old and fast.  If they are setting this up to tie in to the serial killer storyline somehow, who knows?  Is she the killer or possible victim?

I don't have much faith in TPTB that they will be able to write this and not screw it up.  Based on another blog and even here Jenna's character either seems to be liked or really not liked with no in-between.

I think it’s less about the character and more about people not interested in Nolan’s relationships. The response is overtly negative in various social media platforms. Jenna as an actress is immensely liked so fans may be happy about that. But I have barely seen anyone shipping them or loving them together. 

• Love 1