Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/23/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, nokat said:

Is saying I miss Jedediah on topic? She had that rapid fox talk as fast as you can, but I occasionally did agree with her. It might take a while for Meghan to feel comfortable on the panel.

I also loved Denis Leary, he was a fun guest.

Man he needs to get back on tv.  Nearly everything he touches, either acting, writing, not sure if he's directed but that would rock too. The last thing I saw was a USA network show called Sirens I believe.  He was writing it and I think co-created.  OMG funny as all hell.  Then he killed it for some reason  * sourpuss me *

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

But the three he mentioned are flawed candidates:

• Sandra Bullock - Yes, she's very popular.  I love how she handled her husband's humiliation, and then went on to raise her son and then adopt a girl from foster care - something celebrities rarely do.  But, and that's a huge but, she was married to a Nazi worshipper.  Sure, there's plausible deniability, I guess, but Jesse James was a prolific collector of Nazi memorabilia, and it wasn't hidden away, in my understanding.  
  • Tom Hanks - Lovely man and amazing actor.  But he left his wife and children for Rita Wilson.  Even Ronald was divorced from his ex before getting involved with Mommy.
  • Denzel Washington - Beautiful man, wonderful actor, and has lived his life with great dignity, except - He's been known to have cheated on his long-time wife most of their marriage.

Denis's suggestions may have flaws but they seem quaint in the current environment.

2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And I'm just disgusted with Meghan putting DR on the spot by talking about kneeling during the anthem.

And she wouldn't have asked if he were white.

2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Maybe Meghan was thinking of this Paul Ryan:

time_paulryan_20111205_0519.jpg?quality=

Is this photoshopped?

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

I am on the fence about MM. But if she does leave she can always say it was because she wanted to spend more quality time with her father.

Thats PERFECT!! Caps intended!  Its a win-win that actually is true. Brilliant

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Tunia said:

Meghan was a hot mess today ~ lavender lipstick, magenta nails, ill-fitting red skirt* and silver shoes!   GAHHH!

*For a moment, I was wondering if she, too, was pregnant. 

Hmmmm second time Ive heard/read the pregnancy theory.  Say its true.  Shes obviously not trying to hide anything.  You know like how they do with big purses etc.  I will definitely keep it in the realm of possibility file

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Denis's suggestions may have flaws but they seem quaint in the current environment.

And she wouldn't have asked if he were white.

Is this photoshopped?

No. He did a very ill-advised photo shoot for Mens Health magazine. At least Aaron Schock showed his abs.

• Love 2

Okay, I’m going to be in the minority here and say I was ?????? when all the ladies were praising Flake. Because he is just like his name-a FLAKE. If he were this principled Republican, who disagreed with 45 from the get go-he certainly didn’t prove it by his actions. He voted with his colleagues to repeal the ACA.  And that line they showed of him saying “our children are watching?” Stolen from what Hillary was saying! So him deciding to not run? Whatever. He just published a book and I’m so sure he’ll be making the rounds to preen and talk about how he couldn’t in good conscience continue blah, blah, blah.

And Meghan? Just because you’re a die-hard Republican/Conservative doesn’t mean you have to defend or justify those in your party if what they are doing is detrimental to America. Unless someone has threatened you that you HAVE TO defend them? You have a mind of your own, don’t you? Me doth thinks ye protest too much. So please have several seats.

Me after Meghan said Beiber wasn’t a rugged American: ???? And OF COURSE she has an “ideological crush” on that piece of ? Ryan.

I love Leary, and he was funny, but he and everyone else who keep saying Hillary was a “bad candidate” can STFU. Her public record proved she was the most qualified and up to the job. And stop with the sucking up to Whoopi about her running for President. Yeah, ha ha!

BIG cheer and YES! for Whoopi saying what she said about rhetoric without having the record makes one just as bad.

• Love 17
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I love Leary, and he was funny, but he and everyone else who keep saying Hillary was a “bad candidate” can STFU. Her public record proved she was the most qualified and up to the job. And stop with the sucking up to Whoopi about her running for President. Yeah, ha ha!

I recently read "What Happened" so the "bad candidate" description annoys me too, as she's been doing work to help the less fortunate since she was in college.  I hope Denis Leary was joking about putting a Democrat celebrity on the next ballot, though, I fear, he may have been a little bit serious. Some celebrities might be qualified, but certainly not Whoopi.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, nokat said:

Is saying I miss Jedediah on topic? She had that rapid fox talk as fast as you can, but I occasionally did agree with her.

Hope it's on topic, because I feel the same.  Things that Jed had going for her over MM:  No valley girl accent; better hair; better clothes; a modicum of humor; sometimes sensible opinions.

I wonder about the ratings since MM joined.  As soon as she opened her mouth, there was a mass cringe.

• Love 4

One positive of MM is that she seems more thoughtful in her rssponses and she and Sunny seem to have discussions more then arguments.  For that reason, she is a step above candace, raven, and bitsy.

Maybe I was thinking she seemed cold because she didn't get hysterical like bitsy used to.

On the other hand, during the more fun topics discussed, she seems stiff and lacking a sense of humor and/or rapport with the other women.  Jed had great rapport with Sunny and Sara during the lighter topics.  MM struggles more with those topics then Jed ever did...yet MM is decent in the political sections (Nicole Wallace was a good balance that sadly the show didn't realize when she was on...she was smart and quirky).

• Love 4
On 10/24/2017 at 1:53 AM, ChicagoCita said:

I thought Meghan looked very nice today in her choice of clothing -- nothing too dowdy (although the Peter Pan collar was a little much), and nothing a size too small. They should keep her on that path.

Joy looked amazing in that shade of emerald green. Redheads are so lucky because they wear jewel colors so beautifully.

Well, whoever chose McCain's dress, today, needs to never again be allowed to choose clothing -- not even for paper dolls. For those who haven't seen the show, she's wearing a light blue dress, with a print that includes Yellow Labrador Retrievers in various poses and pink and red roses. 

No, I'm not tripping on LSD (or anything other than this dress and the slim, dim hope that I've hallucinated basically the last year). 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, General Days said:

Well, whoever chose McCain's dress, today, needs to never again be allowed to choose clothing -- not even for paper dolls. For those who haven't seen the show, she's wearing a light blue dress, with a print that includes Yellow Labrador Retrievers in various poses and pink and red roses. 

Even with a wardrobe stylist choosing what MM wears on air doesn't Meghan have the right to say no I don't think this looks flattering on me?  How can a 33 yrs old woman not know what looks good on her?

• Love 11
38 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was listening to the first segment & either Joy or Sunny said a professor of Trump in college said he was "The Dumbest .... ".  Did anyone catch what was bleeped?

Here you go: 

Former Wharton Professor: 'Trump Was the Dumbest G*ddamn Student I Ever Had' 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 12
40 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I was listening to the first segment & either Joy or Sunny said a professor of Trump in college said he was "The Dumbest .... ".  Did anyone catch what was bleeped?

The quote from the professor was that Trump was the "Dumbest god-damned student I ever had."  it was the "god-damned"  that was bleeped. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, buffynut said:

I recently read "What Happened" so the "bad candidate" description annoys me too, as she's been doing work to help the less fortunate since she was in college.  I hope Denis Leary was joking about putting a Democrat celebrity on the next ballot, though, I fear, he may have been a little bit serious. Some celebrities might be qualified, but certainly not Whoopi.

I think when guests on The View (and most people) say HRC was a bad candidate, they're not talking about her competency to govern, so much as campaign charisma (I can't think of a better term). You know how -- when she's on a show like The View, she is personable and relatable, and then she stiffens up and her voice flattens out when she's giving a speech? That kind of stuff. There's also the fact that her presidential campaigns (both in 2008 and 2016) didn't have great "sound-bite" messaging (and to be fair to her, that's in part because politics and governing are complex). Plus, there's drawback of being in the public as a political figure for 40 years. You're going to get mud thrown at you and some of it is going to stick, even when it shouldn't.  While Trump has been a public figure of sorts since the 80s, he's been a celebrity and has been (and to some extent still is, imo) covered as such. 

3 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Here's the origin of that story: https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/former-wharton-professor-trump-was-dumbest-gddam-student-i-ever-had

2 hours ago, susieq147 said:

Even with a wardrobe stylist choosing what MM wears on air doesn't Meghan have the right to say no I don't think this looks flattering on me?  How can a 33 yrs old woman not know what looks good on her?

I think the women must have some say. I was going to ask if anyone remembers how it works on The View. Do the co-hosts get clothing allowances? I remember Sara talking something about clothes once, but can't remember the specifics. 

MM's dress is really bad. I can't overstate the ugliness of this print (which is a shame because the light blue is a good color on her). Whoopi ought to have ended today's show with, "Take a little time to blot out whatever the hell this view was." 

Speaking of, she gave a regular sign off, today -- not her stumbling, "Whatever view it is you happen upon."

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I remember Jed once saying that because she was expected (or maybe had to) wear short skirts at Fox, she liked choosing pants from the wardrobe The View picked out for her. So I got the impression that a) the co-host can choose what to wear and b) there's more than one choice.

And speaking of Jed, the thing that bugged me the most about her was how she acted as though she was the "star" of the show, what with the dancing and waving, and over-talking everyone.  And of course, the "some people say".  So don't miss her. Still think it was tacky the way she found out she was being let go.

Meghan, however, isn't impressing me, and today I didn't even bother turning it on.  Probably not her fault, but rather I just wasn't in the mood. Probably won't watch tomorrow either, as I dislike Paula more than Whoopi, Jed, and Meghan. Something about Paula just hits me the wrong way.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, General Days said:

Well, to be fair, that dress would be absolutely ADORABLE on a little girl of 6, posing for a photo with her yellow Labrador retriever.   But not on anyone older than 6, maybe 8 years old.

Did anyone catch, early in the show, when Sunny started to respond to Whoopi, and Meghan  touched her arm to get her to stop talking? Whoopi was talking about how trump had asked Obama to show his college records.  Sunny started to reply, Meghan tapped her arm,   Sunny stopped, and Meghan talked about trump bragging about his education, and that maybe Mitt Romney should have tried that.   It struck me as odd because this has always been the show where the hosts talk over each other, and Meghan was NOT talking,  Sunny did NOT interrupt her.  It was more like Meghan was signaling "stop, it's my turn."   (Anybody watching - catch the expressions on Sunny and Joy when this happened.) 

And then a few minutes later, Meghan says that trump "doesn't speak like a politician, he speaks like the average American."  I loved  Sunny's reply, that the average American is much smarter than trump.  Audience applauds loudly.  Then Last-word Meghan jumps in with  - "I know we have to move on but I think trying to understand him and his voters is a lot more productive than just attacking him for being stupid."    WOW.   

• Love 18

Production really, really needs to re-shoot the opening introduction video because it is just the worst ever.  Whoopi's pose is the only one that is even bearable, Joy's and Sunny's are just stupid, and Sara and Meghan should be screaming for a re-do.  Whoever thought it cute to shoot Sara from a rear view needs a good talking to or needs to be humiliated in like manner.  And they couldn't come up with a better entry for Meghan other than her timid, mouth-open embarrassed wave?  I've seen better videos on YouTube done by 10-year-olds with a cellphone!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, General Days said:

No, I'm not tripping on LSD (or anything other than this dress and the slim, dim hope that I've hallucinated basically the last year). 

Wow, it is really bad.

20171026_113739.jpg

• Love 11

LOL! I *loved* Meghan's dress today. I thought it was really nice. Don't hurt me :)

And, for the *first* time, I loved Meghan gleefully shouting out (to Whoopi) about ghosts and sex! It was *hilarious* and spontaneous and I loved it! If only she could unwind and allow that gleefulness to come out.

• Love 3
Just now, May Jacks said:

Why does Meghan always sit there like a humorless turd?

Because she is one?

WTF was she wearing?  I don't care that Miles Teller liked it.

Isn't Miles Teller notoriously difficult to work with?  Why does he keep getting work?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

LOL! I *loved* Meghan's dress today. I thought it was really nice. Don't hurt me :)

And, for the *first* time, I loved Meghan gleefully shouting out (to Whoopi) about ghosts and sex! It was *hilarious* and spontaneous and I loved it! If only she could unwind and allow that gleefulness to come out.

Same here!! wasn't that fun, ghost sex..LOL

I liked that Dr Phil called out Weinstein, you cant cure a 30 year old problem, in one week. Weinstein is such a pig, and as Phil said its all about power. Its not about a sex addiction, which I dont agree is an addiction anyway. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Radar said:

Wondering if any of the ladies will dare ask the Bush girls about their handsy granddad tomorrow. 

I very much doubt that...looking forward to seeing them though. :) Hasn't this show been taped? 

4 hours ago, buffynut said:

I remember Jed once saying that because she was expected (or maybe had to) wear short skirts at Fox, she liked choosing pants from the wardrobe The View picked out for her. So I got the impression that a) the co-host can choose what to wear and b) there's more than one choice.

And speaking of Jed, the thing that bugged me the most about her was how she acted as though she was the "star" of the show, what with the dancing and waving, and over-talking everyone.  And of course, the "some people say".  So don't miss her. Still think it was tacky the way she found out she was being let go.

Meghan, however, isn't impressing me, and today I didn't even bother turning it on.  Probably not her fault, but rather I just wasn't in the mood. Probably won't watch tomorrow either, as I dislike Paula more than Whoopi, Jed, and Meghan. Something about Paula just hits me the wrong way.

Would it be the Stepford(ish) persona???

• Love 8
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Al Franken is my choice.  He is brilliant, is in government and has entertainment background.  Perfect. 

He has it all I think, but, imagine a campaign where his opponents show clips of him on SNL being goofy and saying "is this who you want for president" forgetting that he is all that you said above, and that he has the good of the people in his heart.  All his skits will be twisted and for those who haven't watched SNL or don't understand parody etc. it will be deadly.  But in our household we love Al.  

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

All the buzz is kinda sad for such a wonderful man (I am NOT a Republican).  I've gone to nursing homes too many times over these past decades.  So many of the old men want to pat, pinch, and rub.  I doubt if they did that to strangers in their younger days (most of them).

I agree, it is common.  

The Bush twins are doing the interview circuit.  What is going on, did they write a book?  They really have nothing much to say, I have heard them several times.   Jenna does all the talking.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, General Days said:

I was trying to discuss what I thought Denis Leary and The View co-hosts meant earlier this week, when they described Clinton as either a flawed or bad candidate. I don't think they were speaking to her qualifications as a potential president. I think they were talking about the fact that she did lack a certain appeal on the trail, and that the stain of forty years in the political arena of public life is harder to escape (even if/when it is undeserved) than the stain of 30 something years in the celebrity arena of public life (i.e. where Trump first rose to prominence.)

I have to say I didn't get this impression at all. When Leary was referring to her as a "terrible!" candidate, he was definitely selling it as a lesser of two evils dynamic. That seems to be more about him seeing her as a shedevil than her lacking charisma, years in the arena, debate skills, and so on. That's why I appreciated Whoopi's response myself.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I have to say I didn't get this impression at all. When Leary was referring to her as a "terrible!" candidate, he was definitely selling it as a lesser of two evils dynamic. That seems to be more about him seeing her as a shedevil than her lacking charisma, years in the arena, debate skills, and so on. That's why I appreciated Whoopi's response myself.

I didn't see it that way, probably in part because the book he was on The View to pimp is titled, Why We Don't Suck: And How All of Us Need to Stop Being Such Partisan Little Bitches, but no matter. I think we've all probably put more thought into this segment than any of the co-hosts or Leary. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

But in our household we love Al.  

Me, too.  Smart and funny - the whole package.  He wouldn't have a chance!

4 hours ago, NeverLate said:

liked that Dr Phil called out Weinstein, you cant cure a 30 year old problem, in one week. Weinstein is such a pig, and as Phil said its all about power. Its not about a sex addiction, which I dont agree is an addiction anyway. 

I always liked Dr. Phil - he seemed to always cut through the BS, when he was on Oprah.  His own show is hard to take, though.

6 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

She looked good from a distance.  I also liked her hair today.  The pattern on the dress was a little goofy for an adult.  

That photo of Paul Ryan is the silliest thing.  Was he serious?

Edited by useryikes
forgot a point
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, useryikes said:
2 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

But in our household we love Al.  

Me, too.  Smart and funny - the whole package.  He wouldn't have a chance!

I am not sure about that, at all.  

I loved Meghan's dress.  Dogs are a passion of mine, I rescue them, train them and have had many in my life due to multiples.  There is a woman who makes clothes with your dog on them from a photo.  They are too expensive, understandably. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

I am not sure about that, at all.  

I loved Meghan's dress.  Dogs are a passion of mine, I rescue them, train them and have had many in my life due to multiples.  There is a woman who makes clothes with your dog on them from a photo.  They are too expensive, understandably. 

I really like it too..  in fact shallow moment, she looked great today, best outfit yet, and her hair was gorgeous.  Up and off her face is her look me thinks.  I don't mean any of this in a bad way. I know for me, my style is on my face. Also ppl will say they have a fav side of their face.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, backformore said:

Meghan calls Lindsey Graham her "Illegitimate uncle"?    

I've never heard this term before - I've heard "honorary uncle."  Illegitimate uncle seems skeevy somehow.

she must have just misspoke!

• Love 3

Regarding Al Franken, Lookeyloo said:

7 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

He has it all I think, but, imagine a campaign where his opponents show clips of him on SNL being goofy and saying "is this who you want for president" forgetting that he is all that you said above, and that he has the good of the people in his heart.  All his skits will be twisted and for those who haven't watched SNL or don't understand parody etc. it will be deadly.  But in our household we love Al.  

Well, there is precedent on the Republican side, and it didn't seem to hurt!

• Love 5

Not to veer too much off-topic, but since Leary and Joy, and whoever else talked about it, and anyone else going forward, I would very much appreciate if the term "bad candidate" would no longer be used. As as been clarified for me, it doesn't mean what it should mean, and if pundits, comedians, etc., are going to continue to say it was the CAMPAIGN that was "bad" or "shitty," then say just that. thankyouverymuch. But Leary wasn't talking about the campaign or his book--he was talking about his daughters, and how he voted for Hillary even though he thought she was terrible or something like that. Nothing to do with how she ran her campaign.

But yesterday. Jeebus Cripes. No Meghan. 45 IS STUPID. And I don't need to UNDERSTAND either him or the people he surrounds himself with. I believe in calling a spade a spade. Maybe you should learn how to do that when talking about people in your own party, since you do this for everyone else, hmm? And Graham is in his "inner circle?" and you "believe" they're "close friends?" Whachu smokin'? The ONLY people in his inner circle that I manage to see when I'm not fast enough to grab the remote are that asshat, Junior (his son) and deadeyes, tone deaf daughter Ivanka. Oh and Jared. I continue to remain amazed she keeps stumping for him and wanting the panel and viewers to see him in a positive light, considering all the trash talking and denigrating he did and continues to do toward her father. The way she keeps saying "understand him" is very akin to those who said "give him a chance." Big fat no. Like the great Maya Angelou said "When someone shows you who they are, believe them." ( I think that's correct, though maybe it's "reveals who they are.") This person revealed who he was years ago and never changed. I don't need to "UNDERSTAND" him. He talks in worse word salads than Bitsy. And that's saying a LOT.

I would insert eye roll/side-eye emojis here, but the 'puter at work here doesn't support them and they all look funky and I'm too tired to type from me phone.

But yes, I laughed my ass off, when ALL the ladies laughed in Meghan's face when she said 45 was intelligent or smart or whatever she said.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
Proper punctuation is IMPORTANT.
  • Love 21

Love your post GHScorpiosRule. MM would counter your point with *smug, snotty tone* "Well he WON, so obviously he did SOMETHING right"...

Yes MM and once upon a time in history Adolf Hitler was in power as well.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, thejuicer said:

MM would counter your point with *smug, snotty tone* "Well he WON, so obviously he did SOMETHING right"...

Oh, I know I meant to respond to that smug, snotty attempt at explaining him. No, he didn't do anything right. There are reasons, explanations, that explain why he got the electoral votes to win. And he does not talk like the average American. And his base aren't the average americans. Keep smokin' whatever you're smokin' Meghan.

• Love 10

I did agree with MM when she said that you have to understand Trump and his supporters.  In order to guarantee he doesnt get reelected in 2020, you have to study the reasoning behind why his supporters support him so you can provide an opposing candidate that can beat him.  

With that said, her dress was interesting.

I have been thinking about why MM has been guarded during her first few weeks.  She is basically a brand new employee so she is trying to find her way in the m8dst of an established group of co hosts.  I've noticed she is slowly loosening up during the lighter topics.  I do think what me and others view as cold is probably her not wanting to show too much emotion as the new co host.  I say given her till past the holidays before deciding if she is a good fit or not.  Remember Sara H started out not to great when she started co hosting and now she is the most objective and thoughtful of the women with a fun, quirky side to her as well.

http://www.chicagonow.com/confessions-coffeeholic/2017/10/to-cry-or-not-to-cry-work/

• Love 3