Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 10/23/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Monday

Meghan McCain's birthday with special guest Senator John McCain; "View Your Deal" with hottest items at affordable prices.

Tuesday

Gabourey Sidibe ("The Tale of Four")

Wednesday:

Denis Leary (author, "Why We Don't Suck: And How All of Us Need to Stop Being Such Partisan Little Bitches"); a performance by Darius Rucker ("When Was the Last Time")

Thursday:

Dr. Phil; Miles Teller ("Thank You for Your Service"; "Only the Brave")

Friday:
TBA

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought I'd read Kelly Clarkson for Friday? Maybe she had to pull out or it'll be announced late. Oh, well.

Checked Zap2It and they show Friday as:

S21, E39

The Political View with authors Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush.

• Love 3
On 10/21/2017 at 7:49 AM, cinsays said:

Dr Phil, really?  What is he shilling another book or something his favorite son Jay is working or will Robin drop in and show her line of "natural" cosmetics?  Who is getting these guests???

He might not make it to the show. Heard he was in a car accident over the weekend and I don't know details or injuries. But he might put off the visit for awhile

John mcCain is such a lovely man. You could tell he was in a lot of pain.He couldn't get comfortable, I kept thinking he needs a different chair. Meghan and her father are close...

Close up on Meghan and she has beautiful skin. She still wears funny clothes, or funny fashion. I honestly though Sunny had toilet paper hanging from her sleeve, how long was that ruffle..?? 

• Love 9

Senator McCain is such a delight. Smart, charismatic, principled. In some cruel twist of fate he ran for president in 2008 instead of 2016. It's our loss.

Happy Birthday Meghan. It was nice to see her genuinely smile for once. Her stylists also eased up on her today - the black sweater fit better and her hair/makeup less harsh today than usual. But if I may nitpick those high-waist pencil skirts do you no favors.

• Love 13

I have always liked John McCain even if our political beliefs are different. He is a good talk show guest.  He has a good sense of humor and has a way of explaining his beliefs without talking down to anyone. JMHO 

• Love 22
4 minutes ago, backformore said:

While Meghan seems very cold hearted, humorless, and unfeeling, her father comes across as a genuine, warm person with a sense of humor. I can like/dislike people based on their character, irrespective of their politics. 

I saw a very vulnerable side to Meghan today, I liked that.

• Love 9

Damn he is one classy guy.  Why oh why couldnt he be president?.?.? Dam that VP nominee anyway.  Who made that bonehead de ision.  To quote Joy "save your emails, its only my opinion"...but.......I do think that decision cost him the presidency.  Who knows.  Im sure he would say God works in mysterious ways.  Maybe he lost because he is in a better place now to help people.  Also because he is in a better place now to fight the cancer.  Things happen for a reason.  Im glad if we couldnt have him as President, we have him in the Senate.  Again, what a classy classy guy.  P.s.  is that the same kind of brain cancer Jimmy Carter had (has?  Not sure of his status)

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, Tammee said:

Damn he is one classy guy.  Why oh why couldnt he be president?.?.? Dam that VP nominee anyway.  Who made that bonehead de ision.  To quote Joy "save your emails, its only my opinion"...but.......I do think that decision cost him the presidency.  Who knows.  Im sure he would say God works in mysterious ways.  Maybe he lost because he is in a better place now to help people.  Also because he is in a better place now to fight the cancer.  Things happen for a reason.  Im glad if we couldnt have him as President, we have him in the Senate.  Again, what a classy classy guy.  P.s.  is that the same kind of brain cancer Jimmy Carter had (has?  Not sure of his status)

no. McCain's started at brain and is stage 4. Carter's spread from another part of his body so much more treatable. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I saw a very vulnerable side to Meghan today, I liked that.

Yeah, Im still out on the jury.  On the shallow side, she looked very nice today.  Sara, loved your hair today girl!!  MM, All I can say is you must be incredibly proud of your papa, he is a National Treasure.  

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Tammee said:

Yeah, Im still out on the jury.  On the shallow side, she looked very nice today.  Sara, loved your hair today girl!!  MM, All I can say is you must be incredibly proud of your papa, he is a National Treasure.  

I believe she is, breaking down like she did, showed me that.

As Senator McCain said it seems civility has gone, and imho its been gone for quite some time. I'd of liked another hour with him. He looked fragile.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I believe she is, breaking down like she did, showed me that.

As Senator McCain said it seems civility has gone, and imho its been gone for quite some time. I'd of liked another hour with him. He looked fragile.

He did look very fragile.  This trip took a lot out of him.  I wonder if he wanted her to take this job so she will have that support when the times comes. Very worrisome.  I don't want to think about it

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, Tammee said:

He did look very fragile.  This trip took a lot out of him.  I wonder if he wanted her to take this job so she will have that support when the times comes. Very worrisome.  I don't want to think about it

I was thinking the same thing when he was already seated at the table instead of walking out. 

• Love 4
Just now, Stacey1014 said:

I sort of feel like we’re getting a good-bye tour. He’s making all of these speeches and especially considering his words towards the end of the show, I feel like his health is worse than they’re letting on. 

I think you are right, there is only so much chemo and radiation a body can take.

I really think Cancer is a bastard! It takes far too many people.

• Love 11

I have disagreed with John McCain many times over the years, but I have ALWAYS respected him.

I was against the war in Vietnam, but never ever did I blame any of the troops for it.  Most of the males I knew served in one form or another.

Glioblastoma is a horrendous cancer that is much like pancreatic cancer in terms of life expentancy.  Many leaps forward have been made in recent years and continue to be made.

If ever there were reasons for more money to be given to cancer research these high profile cases will hopefully make it.

Less for military, more for research.

Lovely segment.

• Love 12

I thought Meghan looked very nice today in her choice of clothing -- nothing too dowdy (although the Peter Pan collar was a little much), and nothing a size too small. They should keep her on that path.

Joy looked amazing in that shade of emerald green. Redheads are so lucky because they wear jewel colors so beautifully.

• Love 5

I have never commented on this particular forum before, and I will admit I don’t regularly watch the program, only some occasional clips on Youtube, although I do want to chime in on Meghan McCain.  I know some people found Jed annoying, and I will grant that she could be, but really no more so than Whoopie.  However, I did think she had a dynamic that fit in at the table, but MM really seems uncomfortable and awkward.  She really never smiles or laughs much and always looks so sour and stern (at least from what I have seen), and she is about as interesting as a bag of dust.  I wonder if they brought her father on to try to increase her likability because from what I can tell, she really isn’t really generating a positive reaction. 

Edited by Fable
  • Love 19

I thought it was interesting that Meghan seemed to react differently to the soldier story today, after spending all last week defending Trump with "both sides," calling the congresswoman disgusting, saying this was "he said, she said," etc. All I could guess is that it was because her father was present; clearly he has more principles than she does. 

She mentioned something about her boyfriend being even more conservative than John McCain, and her father said the boyfriend had no sense of humor. Maybe that explains why Meghan is a complete sourpuss on this show, and why she defends Trump while her father is openly criticizing him.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I thought it was interesting that Meghan seemed to react differently to the soldier story today, after spending all last week defending Trump with "both sides," calling the congresswoman disgusting, saying this was "he said, she said," etc. All I could guess is that it was because her father was present; clearly he has more principles than she does. 

That could be. But I also think she didn't want to call the widow an outright liar--because she'd be doing what 45 has done--attack a Gold Star Family. She struck me as being on her best behavior while Daddy was there. That said, I did appreciate and like (hey, I'm not totally cold-hearted!), how she kept watching her dad to make sure he was comfortable or every now and then reaching out to touch him.

Though I can admire McCain's service to his country, I am side-eyeing his statement how "EVERY MAN" no matter his income status, should have fought in Vietnam. It's not a black and white issue, and there were legitimate reasons for the many who protested, dodged the draft and escaped to Canada, etc. (I recently watched Ken Burns and Lynn Novick's The Vietnam War. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT). Without getting too off-topic, and because McCain mentioned it, President Clinton also didn't serve, and he was a good President and didn't denigrate or get into fights with Gold Star Families, POWs, soldiers.

It made my heart happy to learn he and Ted Kennedy were good friends while being on opposite sides of the aisle politically. But a lot of what McCain said just sounded...scripted. I dunno. But he has no Fucks to Give, so power to him for saying whatever he wants now. 

• Love 13
40 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Did she really? As for yesterday.....trotting John out was a clear attempt to humanize MM, especially the “tell us more!” segment. It sorta worked for me. Sorta.

It was her birthday, and John McCain is her father. It wasn't about humanizing her, it was about her birthday. Just like Sarah's husband and kid came on, on her birthday.She looked good today, red suits her, it looks ghastly on me,

Edited by NeverLate
  • Love 5

I noticed that MM kept looking up at the camera to see if she was in the shot with her father. 

Yes, she was on her good behavior.  

The food?  Wow! Could MM have picked anything more fattening?  

Still don't like her.  

• Love 6

Am I the only one who's noticed this tic with Meghan where her upper lip does this weird quivering? Almost like she's about to sneeze or something. It's so odd. I know she can't help it anymore than her accent though. I enjoyed them all mocking Bill O'Reilly during the opening. That's the first I've seen the apple commercial since I don't watch CNN; that should be advertised everywhere if they want to make a point, not just on the channel itself.

Nice to see Gabourey Sidibe. I've always liked her, although her acting can be hit and miss from project to project. It's a shame I don't like Empire, considering how many great actors and guest stars it's had.

• Love 3