Type keyword(s) to search

Evelyn & David: Who Let Them in Here?

• Start Topic

Evil-lyn is pretty in the way that every 18-year-old girl is pretty: youth and health are attractive. Her appearance “advantage” is that she’s tall and slender.  Her face is ordinary IMHO. Her mother has much prettier features than she has.

I blame her hair on small town beauty salons. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, balisticnikki said:

Not hating on Evelyn. She's adorable but could really be a knock out (not just physically) w/ a few small tweaks.

What I can't understand is her hideous sense of style. She has some cute pieces but wtf is she styling them that way. I get that she likes retro/vintage but she actually looks like a dumpster diver, and not in a good way. And she's channeling Karen Carpenter frfr...which is concerning.

Look at the shoes.

evelyn.jpg

Why would she do her beautiful curly hair this way??

evelyn2.jpg

No words...

evelyn3.jpg

Shoes again. smh

evelyn4.jpg

She is swimming in this hideous little dress.

evelyn5.jpg

This is the late Karen Carpenter.

evelyn looks like karen c.jpg

Holy Shit! Pun intended. I had the exact same coat with the embroidered flowers she’s wearing in above photos.

I loved the Holy shit out of it. Wore it for years (I’m notoriously hard on things - alas it’s no longer). I remember buying it at Marshall’s probably around 10-15 years ago. Please judge away!

BTW - I think Evelyn is a very pretty girl. I have more issues with her entitled personality - she sure thinks she’s Miss Thang (including screeching cat singing). Mr. DC hates her like poison. In his book - she’s up there with Kail from TM2 (he really hates that one - and me for getting him sucked into these shows).

We do enjoy David calling her out on her BS...he’s not from a third-world country (does anybody know what he did for a living?) - Claremont, NH is not his thing. Curious exactly where in VA he wants to go.

Though I did like the apartment she showed him. Very much up my alley. Like the coat I guess...

Edited again to add - showed Mr. DC my post re jacket. He wants to take credit for destroying it (I tend to be a ragamuffin) and to add he sorta hates me and Evelyn - but thinks Kail is the Antichrist...

Edited by Jennifersdc
Edited to add the wallpaper in the apartment was atrocious.
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

But I do find the photo with the clothespins on the back of the dress photo a bit odd....and concerning.

Clothes pins are used to try on bridal gowns and the pins pinch in a fit to show you what it looks like.  She has a red flower in her hair, so maybe she’s repurposed this dress she found on sale or pillaged from her mom’s closet  to practice flamenco dancing in.  You need a long, swishy skirt for that.  I’ll cut her slack for the aprés ski boots and ski bib.  Love the embroidered jacket.

Shoes simply fugly, but maybe she has comfort or fit issues or has an awkward foot width or size and has limited choices.  Small towns don’t have much in the way of choices, either.  I just pray Evelyn is NOT going to choose a strapless mermaid dress for her wedding dress.  That style is so passé.  Over it.  It’s run its course since the 90s.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, Jennifersdc said:

We do enjoy David calling her out on her BS...he’s not from a third-world country (does anybody know what he did for a living?) - Claremont, NH is not his thing. Curious exactly where in VA he wants to go.

Hoo boy, wasn't there pages and pages debating  this phrase? ;-)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 1

Sorry - guess I  missed that.

To add besmirching Karen Carpenter too. Funny but true story - I was throwing an engagement party for my ex-boyfriend years ago (now close friends with Mr. DC - he’s also now stolen most of my gay friends). Our mutual friend (man) came over to plan and we were supposed to go to Costco but got sucked in by the Karen Carpenter story (Lifetime?). 

Evelyn is no Karen Carpenter.

Edited by Jennifersdc
  • Love 6

I thought Evelyn looks better- like a bit more to her- in the show, rather than the pics above where she seems very thin. She still has a bit of the lollypop look going. She may have a singing voice in there, but I don't like whatever I heard her doing with it. I still think she looks older than her age though.

David I don't like at all so far. Aside from the fact that he went after a teenager online, he's coming across as having a dull, sour personality.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

David I don't like at all so far. Aside from the fact that he went after a teenager online, he's coming across as having a dull, sour personality.

Where’s David’s fiery Spaniard passion? I don’t expect him to act like Antonio Banderas in Zorro or burst into flamenco dance and bulerias at the drop of a hat, but I expected some spark, other than his putting Miss Thang in what he sees as her place.  Where’s that “fire in the blood” in him that most Latin lover types have?  I’ve dated no less than a dozen Latinos and I married one.  David Spain is a BORE!  I get they’re “guarding their purity”: but even the staged lust that Gomez and Morticia Addams had for one another between two professional actors was believable on the sitcom.  

The original Gomez wasn’t Latino, and the Gomez in the films was played by a Puerto Rican.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 4

Evelyn in those pics, looks like ModCloth just vomited all over her.  And I love me some ModCloth, but all in moderation.  I can't with all of the quirky retro things all at once.  (Add me to the Hey I Had That Embroidered Jacket Club.)

I don't want to bag on her appearance because I feel her personality more than shouts to her true ugliness.  

Maybe someday Family Evelyn can sit around the table and laugh at this.  Maybe they do now, but for different reasons.  I hope they find some self-awareness after watching this, at the very least.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Clothes pins are used to try on bridal gowns and the pins pinch in a fit to show you what it looks like.

Not limited to bridal.  Clothes pins, straight pins, safety pins...just about any devices are used in photo shoots to pull in fabric make the outfit appear to fit well.   Look on the back of mannequins in clothing departments.  A lot of pinning to make things look more fitted.   Maybe her servants had been taking more photos for the princess's online postings.

• Love 3

They seem like a nice, yet vanilla and dull family.  Evelyn is wholesome, sheltered, and to make her more interesting, TLC turned her into an enfant terrible with a streak of bridezilla thrown in.  I don’t think the smug, self-satisfied look she has—that Cheshire Cat who’s cornered the neighborhood’s supply of whipped cream and sardines is scripted. 

She seems a pretty compliant and obedient daughter, doesn’t swear, drink, get into screaming matches, stay out late, whine about her ring not being perfect, or have what really has amounted to a meltdown.  So as far as reality TV goes, not really high drama.

• Love 3

Evil-lyn’s love of that $1200 a month dump is a symptom of two things: 1) The natural desire for independence, and 2) The fact that she’s too young to have ever rented an apartment on her own or even lived in a dorm.  When you’re that age everything looks cute as long as it’s not under your parents’ roof. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 11
4 hours ago, PityFree said:

When you’re that age everything looks cute as long as it’s not under your parents’ roof. 

yet "only 5 minutes away" from them! Did you notice David's expression when she said that? 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, magemaud said:

yet "only 5 minutes away" from them! Did you notice David's expression when she said that? 

OMG yes.  David made it clear that he felt they were still too close and that he hoped that her parents wouldn’t be over all the time.  Is he trying to isolate her or are her parents just a nosy interfering bunch.

29 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

OMG yes.  David made it clear that he felt they were still too close and that he hoped that her parents wouldn’t be over all the time.  Is he trying to isolate her or are her parents just a nosy interfering bunch.

Maybe neither isolating or interfering, but just wants some space.  When we first married we wanted to live in the same city as my parents, but my husband stipulated he wanted one mountain between us and them.  Because we live in a very large city with several mountains it was not hard to do, and my parents ( before they died) were always about 20 to 30 minutes away, close enough to have a relationship with them, far enough to give us space and privacy. 

• Love 5

True confession, I actually spent some time last night on Google Earth trying to find this house (obviously converted to multi-family) in Claremont as I would have liked to see the entire front, but no luck. It looks like they entered the kitchen from a side (or back) porch (complete with abandoned refrigerator, I didn't see one inside and noticed that when Evelyn ticked off the list of what was in the "vintage" kitchen she didn't mention a fridge) and that there was an outside staircase added to access another apartment upstairs. It also appeared to have two front entrances, the shabby tacked on one on the right corner with the lace curtains and the original blue front door which was only visible as they were coming downstairs. I call BS on the rent being $ 1200 a month for that rundown dump or that they were seriously considering moving there, I think it was all set up to horrify David. 

edited to add: If they planned to stay in Claremont, I think ANYWHERE they rent would be within five minutes of her parents. And I like how Evelyn assured him it was an "okay" neighborhood. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 4

I envy anyone who still have their parents and older loved ones around. However, space, especially for young marrieds, is really important. It doesn't seem as if Evelyn knows the difference so I hope, for his sake, that David does.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

Maybe neither isolating or interfering, but just wants some space.  When we first married we wanted to live in the same city as my parents, but my husband stipulated he wanted one mountain between us and them.  Because we live in a very large city with several mountains it was not hard to do, and my parents ( before they died) were always about 20 to 30 minutes away, close enough to have a relationship with them, far enough to give us space and privacy. 

1 hour ago, ethalfrida said:

I envy anyone who still have their parents and older loved ones around. However, space, especially for young marrieds, is really important. It doesn't seem as if Evelyn knows the difference so I hope, for his sake, that David does.

Yep! I think David's concern is unlike Evelyn, he doesn't have any "backup" to support the ideas he has for their future together, while Evelyn seems to be planning to have her parents as close as possible so they can support her and put pressure on David to yield to Evelyn's desires, instead of leaving the two of them to hash it out between themselves. Evelyn's parents don't seem like the type to say to Evelyn "Look, you and David are married now and any decisions about your future together - where you two decide to settle down, the type of place you'll live in, how you'll be supporting yourselves, when and if you'll have children and how many - are all decisions couples negotiate with each other." Nope! I suspect they'll support whatever SHE wants every.single.time. and will work on David to bring him around to what Evelyn wants. It's not fair to David to be triple-teamed on all the decisions he and Evelyn will have to make throughout their married life.

If Evelyn's parents live only a few minutes away, you can bet she'll jump in the car and head on over there every time she and David have a disagreement about anything, and they'll let her cry on their shoulders while telling her she's completely right.

That's a recipe for disaster in any marriage.

The only way for that marriage to survive is to put enough distance between Evelyn and her family so that it's much more inconvenient for her to go running to them whenever there's an issue. Or, in lieu of that, David is going to have to put his foot down and establish some boundaries - making it clear to Evelyn that he expects any decisions affecting the two of them are theirs and theirs alone, and that using her family to influence those decisions is unacceptable.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
Punctuation. AGAIN.
  • Love 10

The only real concern I've seen from Evelyn's parents are about "The Band", i.e. Evelyn, leaving town/state & not being "The Band" anymore. They otherwise haven't seemed concerned about David working on this relationship with their teenage daughter starting at 16, nor about her marriage to someone she's barely been around at 18, or about anything reg. the wedding itself that apparently David & Evelyn are paying for alone.  Other than her mom expressing a thought of preferring her daughter to not move away, & some concern over losing "The Band", they seem disinterested in anything David & Evelyn do- so far on the show anyway.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I think, as a newly wed who has never lived on the same continent as his gf, he is just hoping for some space and alone time.

• Love 7
On 11/22/2017 at 7:40 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

She seems a pretty compliant and obedient daughter, doesn’t swear, drink, get into screaming matches, stay out late, whine about her ring not being perfect, or have what really has amounted to a meltdown.

She's never had a reason to.  She IS the band.  She IS the center of all things.   Oh...there will be meltdowns after the marriage, I'm almost sure.

• Love 8
On 11/22/2017 at 6:52 PM, Quof said:

Jeezuz, don't besmirch the legendary Karen Carpenter by discussing her in the same breath as Evelyn. Even if's not about vocal ability.

Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice but that said...Evelyn probably has never heard of her.

Evelyn looks so dated, the hair is really bad, she could update her look a little (and burn all of her shoes too), she is too young to look so matronly.  If she is serious about a singing career she should look in to a stylist (and a vocal coach and a producer that does not blow smoke up her ass).

• Love 9
On 11/22/2017 at 8:19 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Where’s David’s fiery Spaniard passion? I don’t expect him to act like Antonio Banderas in Zorro or burst into flamenco dance and bulerias at the drop of a hat, but I expected some spark, other than his putting Miss Thang in what he sees as her place.  Where’s that “fire in the blood” in him that most Latin lover types have?  I’ve dated no less than a dozen Latinos and I married one.  David Spain is a BORE!  I get they’re “guarding their purity”: but even the staged lust that Gomez and Morticia Addams had for one another between two professional actors was believable on the sitcom.  

The original Gomez wasn’t Latino, and the Gomez in the films was played by a Puerto Rican.

My thoughts exactly, I thought he would have been more like Antonio from Before the 90 days ... now that guy had some passion in him ... 

1 hour ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Evelyn looks so dated, the hair is really bad, she could update her look a little (and burn all of her shoes too), she is too young to look so matronly.  If she is serious about a singing career she should look in to a stylist (and a vocal coach and a producer that does not blow smoke up her ass).

She looks so dated because she’s so sheltered.  Private evangelical Christian schools are into stricter dress codes.  They attract a broader spectrum of families, many of them way stricter at home than Parents Evelyn. Evelyn ‘s dress may not have broken any school rules, but she was probably a fashionista in comparison to the girls at her school who had to wear Fundy Misery Fashion.  She’s definitely used to always  having been a big fish in a little pond.

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 7:27 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Clothes pins are used to try on bridal gowns and the pins pinch in a fit to show you what it looks like.  She has a red flower in her hair, so maybe she’s repurposed this dress she found on sale or pillaged from her mom’s closet  to practice flamenco dancing in.  You need a long, swishy skirt for that.  I’ll cut her slack for the aprés ski boots and ski bib.  Love the embroidered jacket.

Shoes simply fugly, but maybe she has comfort or fit issues or has an awkward foot width or size and has limited choices.  Small towns don’t have much in the way of choices, either.  I just pray Evelyn is NOT going to choose a strapless mermaid dress for her wedding dress.  That style is so passé.  Over it.  It’s run its course since the 90s.

I get that, but I found it odd that she'd be showing that in the photo from the back, rather than the front. where it wouldn't be visible.  The concern is over the fact that she's so thin that she's having to take in what already looks like  small dress.

I probably should have phrased it better.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:I get that, but I found it odd that she'd be showing that in the photo from the back, rather than the front. where it wouldn't be visible.  The concern is over the fact that she's so thin that she's having to take in what already looks like  small dress.

I probably should have phrased it better.

Maybe she likes to show off how thin she is.  I’m a little on the “fluffy” side now, but when I was Evelyn’s age, there was no vanity sizing, and I was very thin, ate like a horse, but couldn’t gain weight to save my life.  I had no thyroid disease or eating disorders.  Since there was no size zero back then, either, my mom had to make most of my clothes I think that dress might have been given to her by a family member, either as a gift or hand me down or the store was sold out of her size, but she had to have the dress.

Perhaps Evelyn enjoys up cycling or wot not.  I’m willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.  It’s a fugly dress  that I wouldn’t be caught dead in, as it’s just not to my taste.  I didn’t have much in the way of fashion sense at her age either at 18. Even past 50, I still look in my closet at some of my errors and wonder WHY I bought such a hideous thing/outfit/shoes/bag.

Evil-lyn in dresses and styles herself like a frumpy church lady... unless she’s on the Internet posing in bikinis. 

ETA: I think it is really sad if David’s internet grooming of her since she was a young teen kept her from dating anyone else. She may have missed out on friendships with boys, fun dates like Prom, growing as a person by learning to be in a relationship, etc. 

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: She has a nasty habit of just ending the conversation and refusing to discuss things when there is conflict or she won’t get her way.  That music producer is most likely the only music producer she’s ever met, so how in can she the heck can she claim that he so great when she has no frame of reference?  I suppose he’s the best music producer who lives five minutes from her parents house.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 5

^^^She claims she's had boyfriends. Remember, she said her friend didn't like any of them. ?

Speaking of the friend, I don't get lesbian vibes as some have stated. I think she's just smarter and that's why she doesn't like her friend rushing into marriage with a man who is so much older than her. I don't see why she'd be in love with Evelyn anyway, if she is a lesbian. Surely there are better girls in the area than this spoiled brat. 

David should have been on the old show, To Catch A Predator.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, PityFree said:

That music producer is most likely the only music producer she’s ever met, so how in can she the heck can she claim that he so great when she has no frame of reference?  I suppose he’s the best music producer who lives five minutes from her parents house.

...and is obviously in awe...or in love with her.   David better not take his woman outta town!

• Love 1
On 11/22/2017 at 8:51 PM, ALittleShelfish said:

Evelyn in those pics, looks like ModCloth just vomited all over her.  And I love me some ModCloth, but all in moderation.  I can't with all of the quirky retro things all at once.  (Add me to the Hey I Had That Embroidered Jacket Club.)

I don't want to bag on her appearance because I feel her personality more than shouts to her true ugliness.  

Maybe someday Family Evelyn can sit around the table and laugh at this.  Maybe they do now, but for different reasons.  I hope they find some self-awareness after watching this, at the very least.  

I used to love me some ModCloth too (when I was two sizes thinner).... 

Your entire post pretty much hit the nail on the head for me....

• Love 1
On 11/23/2017 at 6:48 AM, PityFree said:

Evil-lyn’s love of that $1200 a month dump is a symptom of two things: 1) The natural desire for independence, and 2) The fact that she’s too young to have ever rented an apartment on her own or even lived in a dorm.  When you’re that age everything looks cute as long as it’s not under your parents’ roof. 

Right????  Wait till the old oven doesn’t work right or she has to clean someone’s scum out at move in.  Ugh.  

• Love 2

I feel sort of bad for Claremont, getting dissed every week by pouty wannabe Virginian David Spain. I could just picture them at the town hall meeting before the show aired, all excited about being featured on TV. Now they're glaring at David when he walks down the street...

• Love 4
3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I feel sort of bad for Claremont, getting dissed every week by pouty wannabe Virginian David Spain. I could just picture them at the town hall meeting before the show aired, all excited about being featured on TV. Now they're glaring at David when he walks down the street...

I would hope not. His main reasons for wanting to move South are better job opportunities for his skill set and a desire to not endure five months of shitty weather. That's not really a dig against the town.  I live in Mass and the weather can really make you bonkers. I can't believe what passes for a celebratory dimmer party up there though - that pasta salad looked so slimy. Blech.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, spankydoll said:

I can't believe what passes for a celebratory dimmer party up there though - that pasta salad looked so slimy.

There's a typo above that is too good to be true...that's EXACTLY the type of party it was.  (Sorry...and THANKS, SpankyDoll.)

• Love 5

I am not sure why David wants to move so badly to Virginia, when he hasnt mentioned something like a specific job offer. I would not recommend moving to such an expensive metro area without a concrete plan in place. David and Evelyn are so incredibly vague about employment, money, bills, etc. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, spankydoll said:
13 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I would hope not. His main reasons for wanting to move South are better job opportunities for his skill set and a desire to not endure five months of shitty weather. That's not really a dig against the town.  I live in Mass and the weather can really make you bonkers. I can't believe what passes for a celebratory dimmer party up there though - that pasta salad looked so slimy. Blech.  

I was mostly kidding, however, I do get tired of watching David pout every week. He knew he was after a teenager living in Claremont, NH, USA, so either it's a manufactured story line to promote "The Band" (Evelyn), which I think is the case, or he's just a sourpuss moron marrying a sourpuss brat.  Best of luck to both. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Matias130 said:

I am not sure why David wants to move so badly to Virginia, when he hasnt mentioned something like a specific job offer. I would not recommend moving to such an expensive metro area without a concrete plan in place. David and Evelyn are so incredibly vague about employment, money, bills, etc. 

Maybe he's moving to Maidens Landing to be a smallmouth bass fishing guide.

1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

I was mostly kidding, however, I do get tired of watching David pout every week. He knew he was after a teenager living in Claremont, NH, USA, so either it's a manufactured story line to promote "The Band" (Evelyn), which I think is the case, or he's just a sourpuss moron marrying a sourpuss brat.  Best of luck to both. 

Ding ding ding!

Their storyline, to me, feels less edited or nudged into an arc by production and comes across as more self-produced. While I'm sure their relationship, as icky and grating as it is, is genuine -- I think Evelyn and family reached out to TLC casting with some band promo as the ultimate goal. It would be pretty savvy, anyway. I'm not sure what the state of Christian music is anymore as I haven't been living in that world in any way, including pop culture, for over a decade now (I'd imagine Christian bookstores and music are struggling as much as the "secular" world, though if any crowd would still buy physical media or get whole albums on iTunes in droves, that's probably the demographic that would?), but it's a smaller market with a lower barrier for entry and I have to imagine that's where Evelyn would at least want to start. And, of the cable networks to leverage to snag the attention of the Bible Belt, the home of the Duggars wouldn't be a bad start. 

I have a feeling that even in a non-contrived storyline, Evelyn is one of those exhausting people who is "on" all the time anyway, but when each episode hammers the same point home over and over again and lends itself so well to self-promo, it's not hard to pick up what they're putting down. She's not talented, though, so hopefully she gets a fairly satisfying wakeup call. 

• Love 3

Can Evelyn remove negative comments on You Tube? I noticed that on the "Lost" video, (which I could only stand for a couple of minutes) she gets almost as many dislikes as likes, but the comments are all how wonderful and talented she is and how she is destined for stardom. 

• Love 1