Type keyword(s) to search

Evelyn & David: Who Let Them in Here?

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, Stripper Glitter said:

I was curious what was on their wedding registry to reflect their "fabulous taste" but the Amazon link has been removed. We know that David is into modern and stainless steel appliances, but I just can't imagine what Claremont's Favorite Thrift Shopper asked for (and what "less expensive" gift options they received, possibly from the Sheet Cake guests.) Another thing I was wondering about their wedding, could it have been like the Duggar weddings where the entire congregation is invited then there's a pot luck style reception in the church hall? 

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Since Wal-Mart Pioneer Woman items or an Amazon Gift Card are the only two options I see, does that mean they got everything else already? 

Most likely, when the link was first posted a few months ago there were more items.

When I think back on the things that I might have put on a wedding registry when I was 18, I just shake my head. I'm not saying that someone that age can't have good (or even fabulous) taste, but until I got out of college and lived on my own for a while, I really had no idea of what was necessary and practical for married life. As it is, I never use that complete service for 10 of expensive English bone china that people gave me for wedding gifts which my daughters now scoff at (but it looks nice displayed in my formal dining room, which is also unused) 

• Love 5

Watching the enhanced episode and I don’t recall the original one showed Evelyn going shopping for her veil to match her mom’s wedding dress.  It was a plain dress, but it really suited her and she looked really pretty in it. 

Then, she’s telling David Spain that he should be “done having adventures” and that she should be all the adventure he would need.  This is how she sells Claremont? Yawn?

• Love 2

Maybe she's just not adventurous. Some people are happy where they are & want to stay there. Strange for a (wannabe) 'musician/performer' though I'd think.  IF it's the case it's something they should've gotten on the same page about prior to a wedding.

The dress would not have been current even for 21yrs ago when her mom wore it.  I wasn't a bit surprised she wanted to wear it & it suits her preference for vintage, but personally I was underwhelmed.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Frozendiva said:

No one is all the adventure a person wants. No spouse/partner, etc. can meet all your needs. Future 25 year old Evelyn may very well be a different person.

IF they pop kids out before she's 25, which is a real possibility, it will be more difficult to be adventurous.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

IF they pop kids out before she's 25, which is a real possibility, it will be more difficult to be adventurous.

Having the new family band in the old painted up school bus, singing in a four county area, that's a huge adventure. 

• Love 5

I know Evelyn has had her moments, but the more I watch David, the more I dislike him. He's constantly dissing their small town, even to her family, is nasty to Evelyn's 'best friend', has his arms & elbows all over the table when they take him out to eat, hunches over & shovels food in his face when he eats.  Maybe he thinks he's Mr. Hot Shit European Adventure Dude, but he's acting like a damn ass hole.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

No one is all the adventure a person wants. No spouse/partner, etc. can meet all your needs. Future 25 year old Evelyn may very well be a different person.

Yup. Mostly because she will be divorced and possibly no longer a virgin. 

If David has sex hang ups because of his religious beliefs, he may never do the deed. Or he may be the type to jump up immediately, take a Silkwood-style shower, cry, and pray for forgiveness afterward. 

• Love 9

Nobody who has had a continental upbringing would have been allowed to get away with that shit, without being called down at the table to eat properly. Those growing up when I did certainly remember mealtimes being stressful since it was a challenge to get through a meal without being told off for not doing something right. Perhaps over there now things are less oppressive, since millennials like praise for pooping.

• Love 11

I can't stand Evelyn but I might possibly dislike David even more. And I had high hopes for him! I don't care if there are more job opportunities, culture, entertainment options, and diversity in other places-he's a jackass for constantly putting down their home. I have lived in other countries. Not once, when I lived abroad in Austria, England, or Wales did I ever hang out with local people and put down the town/village/city/museum/attraction because it wasn't as good as something "back home." Evelyn is awful but David is the European equivalent of the Ugly American. 

• Love 10
Just now, mamadrama said:

I can't stand Evelyn but I might possibly dislike David even more. And I had high hopes for him! I don't care if there are more job opportunities, culture, entertainment options, and diversity in other places-he's a jackass for constantly putting down their home. I have lived in other countries. Not once, when I lived abroad in Austria, England, or Wales did I ever hang out with local people and put down the town/village/city/museum/attraction because it wasn't as good as something "back home." Evelyn is awful but David is the European equivalent of the Ugly American. 

They're both insufferable and deserve each other! I wouldn't wish either person on anyone else. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Gigglepuff said:

They're both insufferable and deserve each other! I wouldn't wish either person on anyone else. 

Me either. I don't like any of them. (Even though I find Father Evelyn to be inexplicably hot. I hate that, having seen some of his social media posts.)

• Love 3
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

When I think back on the things that I might have put on a wedding registry when I was 18, I just shake my head. I'm not saying that someone that age can't have good (or even fabulous) taste, but until I got out of college and lived on my own for a while, I really had no idea of what was necessary and practical for married life. As it is, I never use that complete service for 10 of expensive English bone china that people gave me for wedding gifts which my daughters now scoff at (but it looks nice displayed in my formal dining room, which is also unused) 

My first wedding was in 1989. I remember my Mom asking me if I thought that I was Caroline Kennedy with my six bridesmaids and luxe registry. Dumped the psycho husband within a year and have been enjoying the china and crystal ever since. Use it! Even if you don't want to throw formal dinners just start with a teacup and saucer for your morning coffee - you grow to appreciate treating yourself to the luxuries. I knew that my boyfriend was a good match for me the first time that he made me breakfast at his house and the juice was in a Waterford goblet and he used these funky vintage Russell Wright platters and Lenox dishes. His collection came from antiquing with his Mom and haunting estate sales and combing through tghw aisles of Tuesday Morning. 

Mother Evelyn's dress brought me back to my Jessica McClintock gunny sax dresses that I would wear to the school dances! 

I really feel for Evelyn for her anxiety about her wedding night. Hopefully she can find a new bride's manual in the church library. David barely touches her and his reticence to discuss anything doesn't bode well for joy in the marital bed. 

• Love 11

One thing that really bothers me is Annie's change in personality. By this I mean, when they were in Thailand, David was so appreciative of the Thais warm reception, and Annie was very accepting of all David gave her as well as grateful of the plans he had for America. As someone else pointed out, maybe she thought she and David were going to live like Chris and Nikki? BUT, being a practical gal myself, I too would have died upon seeing the main floor of the fire station, but as soon as I went upstairs, I would immediately know I could work with this. To see Annie, moping because her living space isn't a house (or whatever) annoys me because she sure wasn't living in the lap of luxury at home. I would think that a full bathroom off a bedroom that was bigger than her home, would be entitled to at least a smile. And if it is that horrible (and personally, sleeping with the penguin is an absolute turn off - the man has bigger breasts than Annie, so that HAS got to be more horrible than their living quarters) Annie should ask Nikki if she can live with them as a sister wife, lol.

3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

. (...having seen some of his social media posts.)

Don't leave me hanging… what did you read?

• Love 3
On 16 October, 2017 at 11:18 AM, poeticlicensed said:

Does David have to join the "family band" when he marries Evelyn? 

Every Partridge Family needs a David Cassidy. Man, I'm on a roll, lol.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

Yes.  And I was watching with my friends Kent and Alan, who have been married now for 11 years.

Wow. I didn't take the statement that way at all. I thought that she was telling Evelyn not to be so worried and nervous. Jeez. I hope that it wasn't Somme homophobic fundie crap. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, spankydoll said:

Wow. I didn't take the statement that way at all. I thought that she was telling Evelyn not to be so worried and nervous. Jeez. I hope that it wasn't Somme homophobic fundie crap. 

I didn't take it as being homophobic.

It's just how she as a straight woman would describe what sex is to her

• Love 10

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Fundie Mama IS homophobic but I took her advice to mean that anatomically speaking Evelyn should be just fine on her wedding night. I also predict David will have some performance issues 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, magemaud said:

Evelyn had to leave Perfect Claremont NH and travel over an hour to that lingerie store in Manchester, VT, but I thought the merchandise looked pretty tame, not even as risque as Victoria's Secret. 

Fredericks of Hollywood was always far more risqué than Victoria’s Secret ever dreamed of being.  I could only imagine Evelyn wondering what to do with or how to wear some of that stuff.  IIRC,  Victoria’s Secret never sold crotchless panties or bras that had the boobies hanging out, but you could get a pretty garter belt there back in the day.  But yes, that store was very tame, right in line with Evelyn’s provincial sensibilities.

10 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Fredericks of Hollywood was always far more risqué than Victoria’s Secret ever dreamed of being.  

my friends and I used to be amazed (and intrigued) at that trashy, colorful Fredericks of Hollywood catalog! Evelyn looked so mortified at the THONG, I wouldn't blame Mikayla one bit if she got her revenge by throwing her a Claremont scandalizing "Fuckherwear" lingerie shower. 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, spankydoll said:

It is actually scientific fact.  People can do whatever they want with them, but penises are designed to go into vaginas for reproduction...that and for peeing. :)

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, BeachyWave said:

That's my friend's lingerie store!! And it is a great one. I went in while playing a chamber music festival in Manchester VT and needed a specific bra to go with my concert gown. She had *everything.*

I LOVE her (faux) stained glass window.  

Screenshot 2017-12-04 at 3.13.58 PM - Edited.png

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:40 PM, magemaud said:

I am also calling BS on that apartment Evelyn coveted was $ 1200 a month! I recall the downstairs being large, but only saw one bedroom upstairs and from the side view by the parking lot there appeared to be an outside stairway presumably leading to a second floor apartment. I looked at a real estate website for Claremont and found some listings for THREE bedroom apartments that weren't even that much. For example: http://www.rentalsinclaremont.com/claremont-nh-three-bedroom-apartments/ 

I looked at the address for the first one in the list and this is the street view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/143+Pleasant+St,+Claremont,+NH+03743/@43.3678045,-72.3408425,3a,75y,293h,90t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQT1GYa25o0GV_VXXrLqfvg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQT1GYa25o0GV_VXXrLqfvg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dsearch.TACTILE.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D86%26h%3D86%26yaw%3D293.56097%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e1c1dae2495d51:0xb0398a8b5aba5d79!8m2!3d43.3678544!4d-72.3409927

Many of the one, two and three bedroom apartments (on this site at least) are in the same building like the one linked above also has a 2BR available. (These crazy color schemes seem to be popular up there!) HEY, THERE'S A JAMAICAN RESTAURANT RIGHT NEXT DOOR! How worldly can you get! 

Finally, just out of curiosity, I traveled around on Street View looking at other sections of Claremont. They do appear to have a quaint little downtown area, but I can understand David's reluctance to live there. 

But are they all vintage?  Because, fun fact, Warbelyn NEEDS vintage.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, mamadrama said:

I love shopping at thrift stores (and vintage stores) but I agree that the dress Evelyn had pinned at the back is hideous. I hope she was wearing it for some kind of costume reason and not because she actually thought it looked good. Re: the PRETTY IN PINK dress...I always thought it looked so much better when it was Annie Potts' original prom dress. After she refashioned and "upcycled" it, it went from a cute vintage style to an ill-fitting mess of a dress. 

IIRC, Molly Ringwald thought the dress was hideous too.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, bethster2000 said:

And here I was, thinking Claremont is just An Apple-pickin' Paradise.

Maybe Warblyn (not sure who called her that, but I love you) can write one her poignant songs about this sad event.

https://wntk.wordpress.com/2017/11/29/police-seek-info-on-suspects-in-claremont-armed-robbery/

I did call her that in the one thread where we were asked to come up with a band name.  I called her Warbelyn And The Fun Facts.  I don't know for sure if anyone called her that before I did.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

He has Erectile Dysfunction written all over him.

Moobs, pudge, and receding hairline beginning.  It looks like maybe he has Low T.

His father left the Catholic Church in the 70s in favor of joining a Baptist Church in Spain. Now, for somebody who would know better than me, I learned that the Methodist Church in England is much stricter than stateside, so I’d imagine that some Protestant churches with more evangelical leanings would also be stricter in UK and Europe than here.  

Open a phone book in any large city in the Bible Belt, and you will see as many as 16 different types of Baptist Church alone, some way more conservative than others as far as rules for the congregation and how far to interpret core beliefs. I don’t think Europe or UK has room or market for that much variety, so it makes sense that for the few they have, they would lean more strict.  Methodism originated in England, so it being more strict there makes more sense.

That said, David may have been subjected to a stricter set of rules  in his own home than in his church as well.  Hopefully, he wasn’t subjected to the Jim Bob Duggar level of oppression such as having his hands tied up as punishment for “self discovery” or being forced to listen to anti masturbation sermons.  That’s hurtful and damaging to any child or adolescent to be taught that being curious about their bodies is somehow shameful.  Of course, they should be taught some limits regarding where it shouldn’t be done and to clean up after themselves, but that’s it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

But are they all vintage?  Because, fun fact, Warbelyn NEEDS vintage.

Yes, they appeared of comparable "vintage" as the place they looked at, in other words "rundown dumps" 

• Love 4

The fact that David's mom is Mexican and apparently made Evelyn things like quesadillas makes them talking David to a Mexican restaurant to remind him of home make sense and makes him even more of a dick for saying Mexico and Spain weren't the same thing because Mexican is something he ate at home even if it was in Spain or Argentina.

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The fact that David's mom is Mexican and apparently made Evelyn things like quesadillas makes them talking David to a Mexican restaurant to remind him of home make sense and makes him even more of a dick for saying Mexico and Spain weren't the same thing because Mexican is something he ate at home even if it was in Spain or Argentina.

It would have made more sense to actually drive out and take him to a tapas place. The Mexican restaurants  that most Americans are familiar with typically serve Tex Mex. Quesadillas are Tex Mex.

7 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

It would have made more sense to actually drive out and take him to a tapas place. The Mexican restaurants  that most Americans are familiar with typically serve Tex Mex. Quesadillas are Tex Mex.

Evelyn specifically mentioned she was making quesadillas because he and his mother made that for her when she visited. Quesadillas are also made in parts of Mexico though typically with corn not flour tortillas.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Quesadillas are also made in parts of Mexico though typically with corn not flour tortillas.

I’m sure plenty of places in Mexico that have lots of tourists might make some food familiar to gringos. Corn tortillas are much more authentic. I had the best tortilla ever in Mexico. The lady was grinding corn right there and making the most glorious tortillas.  So good my tongue was slappin’ my brains.

3 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’m sure plenty of places in Mexico that have lots of tourists might make some food familiar to gringos. Corn tortillas are much more authentic. I had the best tortilla ever in Mexico. The lady was grinding corn right there and making the most glorious tortillas.  So good my tongue was slappin’ my brains.

Not just gringos. Yes, they are popular Tex Mex dish but they predate that in Mexico.

• Love 3
On 12/3/2017 at 4:56 PM, PityFree said:

Yup. Mostly because she will be divorced and possibly no longer a virgin. 

If David has sex hang ups because of his religious beliefs, he may never do the deed. Or he may be the type to jump up immediately, take a Silkwood-style shower, cry, and pray for forgiveness afterward. 

Maybe he was a virgin when he got married but I had this sneaking suspicion watching the 'let's discuss intimacy' talk that he stormed out of that he had already um 'given away pieces of his heart' so to speak but doesn't want that to come out.  

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Maybe he was a virgin when he got married but I had this sneaking suspicion watching the 'let's discuss intimacy' talk that he stormed out of that he had already um 'given away pieces of his heart' so to speak but doesn't want that to come out.  

Maybe Jim Boob Duggar could be a guest on the show and give David a LEGO demonstration on how to “do the Hey, Hey, Hey”.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Do quesadillas even count as "cooking"? That's something I make  drunk at 3AM if we have left over tortillas from making fajitas earlier in the week. Red onions, why would you make quesadillas with those?And I don't mean that in a snobby she can't even cook kind of way, I am absolutely not a cook but quesadillas literally some shredded cheese, butter and store bought tortillas in a pan, it's like making toast.

• Love 3