Type keyword(s) to search

Evelyn & David: Who Let Them in Here?

• Start Topic

There were several Eurozone countries which were hammered hard by the financial crisis.  Greece got a lot of press, but Spain took it up the wazoo pretty bad as well.  Apparently, the unemployment rate for young people in Spain is still ridiculously high (like 36% -- although, European countries tend to have higher rates generally because there is more government support for non-work activities like school or caring for relatives).  The Spanish economy could be a factor in David's decision to come to the US. 

Or, maybe he's just a famewhore.

• Love 7

David’s decision to remain pure is admirable, however, he’s probably also unemployed and has nothing to offer on the marriage market.  Many people in Europe marry late, because they allow themselves some sexual freedom prior to settling down.

Married people don’t want to live with their parents, and if you can’t afford your own place, you likely aren’t getting married.

I think he loves Evelyn, but also sees his marriage to her as a way out to be able to improve his financial lot in life as a bonus.  Spain is beautiful, but if you aren’t really someone who gets to participate in the economy and enjoy some of the trimmings and trappings of life, it’s gotta be depressing to live there.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Her voice is really weird.  It is awful in a totally different way than most bad singers.  It is like she has discovered sounds in between all the musical notes, like an F extra-sharp or B-flatter, and sings these non-notes constantly.  Most bad singers go in and out of key, or their voices crack or shriek.  It might be considered a beautiful voice on some other planet. :)

I have no idea why this made me laugh but the "F-extra sharp and B-FLATTER" made me snort.  Hard.

• Love 9
On 10/17/2017 at 6:02 PM, Sienna said:

If you Google "Evelyn Cormier" a bunch of her stuff comes up.

Her Instagram is so curated, it could easily be mistaken for an issue of Real Simple.

I hate IG accounts like that.

Her almost-constant look on her face is, "Twee!  Aren't I just a special something?"  Manic pixie dream girl with a dash of fundie freak.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

Did she say that he was going to stay with Reverend Tim-Tom?

Lol.  I thought the same thing every time one of them mentioned Pastor Tim! :)  I hope we get to meet Pastor Tim, and let's start taking bets on whether he strolls into view clutching a guitar.  

I know many people see Evelyn as smug, and I don't disagree, but I also think that she's striving for the other-worldly, beatific countenance, too.  You know, sort of an enraptured, filled-with-the-Spirit aura.

In the previews,  when her bf David disagrees over wedding preps, the-usually-sunny  Seraphim-Evelyn turns cloudy, MAD and combative.  She's a tough, headstrong princess for only 18, imo.

Evelyn and David make a nice couple, and he, as the imported mate, doesn't come across as skeevy to me, as most all the other imports have turned out.  We shall see.

Edited by sleekandchic
  • Love 4

David is certainly very easy on the eyes, but I’ve always been partial to Spaniards/Latino men. What can I say, I’ve got the fevah for the flavah!

Evelyn is a very pretty girl, but as the coddled, sheltered, special snowflake, that part of her I don’t like. I noticed the clouds come over her when David had an opinion that was messing with her perfect world.  The way she said MY wedding, I was like, bitch please, it’s not just YOUR wedding, it’s his too.

I’m glad she’s not going to be a doormat, as is expected of most evangelical women who take the “keeping sweet no matter what route” the Duggar women and their ilk take, high pitched baby voice and all. But, Princess Snowflake Evelyn is in for a rude awakening if she thinks it’s all going to be about her and her vision of How Things Will Be. In all fairness, she thinks she’s ready for all this, but at 18, how mature really were any of us at that age? 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Spain is beautiful, but if you aren’t really someone who gets to participate in the economy and enjoy some of the trimmings and trappings of life, it’s gotta be depressing to live there.

But isn't he currently living in Ireland?

On 10/16/2017 at 4:43 PM, Nancybeth said:

I am really confused by the timeline here.  I was under the impression it took at least a little bit of time to get a K1 visa.  But she said that December will be their first "anniversary" (presumably the day the met in person) and her friend said they would be married before then.  How did it all happen so fast for them, and was she even 18 when she started talking to this 28-year-old guy who hit on her on Twitter or Instagram??

I went through the K1 visa process. We applied in May and had the visa in hand by September and the green card by February. The process goes quick as long as your not from a “high fraud country”, your relationship seems legit, and you can actually fill out papers correctly.  Their timeline is more than likely accurate, but they probably knew each other no more than a few months or weeks before he proposed. 

They’re relationship seems very strange to me like almost hypocritical.. we’re both innocent virgins but we met because he was constantly hitting on me through my bikini pics that I post for the world to see.. I’ve been to Spain many times and I felt uncomfortable at the beach because I was wearing a top and everyone else was topless, they’re very sexually open and with that I find it extremely hard to believe that this 26 year old man is a virgin.. lol and that’s probably why we know nothing about him. 

• Love 4
On 10/16/2017 at 10:04 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

David speaks the same sort of speak her parents do, so he's in like flint Flynn. There's a lid for every pot.

Sorry, I had to. It's (now) a reference to Errol Flynn and his womanizing, even though it was not originally such a reference.

• Love 3
On 10/19/2017 at 1:38 PM, Ivanova said:

Listened to Evelyn sing a full song. I wonder if that's her real voice or she's trying to sound like Dolores O'Riordan.

Either way, it's not a good sound. I liked the Couchberries at first, but quickly tired of Dolores' voice and her singing. It's to the point for me that any time I hear her, I change the station, turn the radio off, or exit the area as quickly as possible. She makes me irrational and want to punch her in retaliation for hurting my ears.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:40 PM, liammaam said:

It was painful watching her act so smug to her friend, mainly because I WAS that friend, treated that way for most of my high school life.  Sitting on the side, watching your (more) beautiful and (way more) skinny friend and listening to her dreams, hopes and nodding sympathetically when she'd bitch about boy troubles... and the second you need some support, she's too busy with her man or life to even bother.  Then brings up "how could YOU possibly get it?  You've never been in -love- "  

Her friend should abandon the Evelyn ship posthaste- nothing good will come out of it for the girlfriend.

Yeah. Her treatment of her supposed friend was abhorrent and completely beyond the pale. My suspicion is that Evelyn doesn't actually like her friend and, instead, merely tolerates her and views her as a hanger-on. The sad thing is that people like her friend are the exact people who I would want to be friends with and who turn out to be among the best friends a person could want.

• Love 6
On 10/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Can’t any of these people control their urges?

This was our take on Evelyn and David. Where's the self-control? Of course, she also made a big deal about what other people would think of them. So her neighbors are monitoring her and will probably happily call her out for any perceived transgressions. I'm sure none of those people believe in self-control, either, though. Not surprising. They'd also be the first ones to blame a rape victim for their own rape because they wore something revealing and, of course, "men are like animals and just can't control themselves when they see some bare knees".

On 10/22/2017 at 10:07 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

But, mi amor, mi can-reeeeer!  Sorry, wailing like a dying cat does not a career make.

LOL. That's not very nice...

Spoiler

to dying cats.

• Love 7
On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎16 at 8:04 PM, Arwen Evenstar said:

Evelyn smacks of the same sort of evangelical Christianist special snowflakery that the Duggars do.  Got no fault with her being a woman of faith, and I find her desire to remain pure commendable.  At 18, it's probably not as tough as say that as it is for David at 26.  There are plenty of 18 yo virgins, so if you're 26 or older, then you've got more bragging rights because it's tougher if you're still not married yet. 

If you're offended by men making lewd comments about your body, then don't post photos of yourself in a bikini. Period.  If you must do so, do so on your private Instagram and keep your public page free of that.

And I find her very smug about how she's getting married and her friend isn't.  Like a Duggar daughter, she believes in the infallibility of her parents.  Did she go to Spain unchaperoned or did a friend come with?  Of course her parents are for it because marriage is the only acceptable way to keep their daughter virtuous. Early marriage is preferable to falling into sin, in their minds.  David speaks the same sort of speak her parents do, so he's in like flint. There's a lid for every pot.

"Snowflakery" is my new favourite word.  :)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, LJN911 said:

I went through the K1 visa process. We applied in May and had the visa in hand by September and the green card by February. The process goes quick as long as your not from a “high fraud country”, your relationship seems legit, and you can actually fill out papers correctly.  Their timeline is more than likely accurate, but they probably knew each other no more than a few months or weeks before he proposed. 

They’re relationship seems very strange to me like almost hypocritical.. we’re both innocent virgins but we met because he was constantly hitting on me through my bikini pics that I post for the world to see.. I’ve been to Spain many times and I felt uncomfortable at the beach because I was wearing a top and everyone else was topless, they’re very sexually open and with that I find it extremely hard to believe that this 26 year old man is a virgin.. lol and that’s probably why we know nothing about him. 

Thanks for the info, LJN!  It makes sense that they would get through the process quicker than some of the other couples we've seen on the show.  I assume Evelyn's parents are sponsoring him?

I'm not a parent, but I think I would very concerned about a 26-year-old who wanted to romance my 18-year-old, and very very concerned if he was coming from a foreign country!  I just can't understand how they're seemingly so blase about it.  I have so many questions -- did they just meet the one time in person?  Did she travel alone to Spain or did her family go with her?  I think I would maybe encourage her to keep it going long-distance for a little while, make sure they can make it a year or so at least!

Edited by Nancybeth
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Sorry, I had to. It's (now) a reference to Errol Flynn and his womanizing, even though it was not originally such a reference.

I’m from Texas, so I heard “in like flint”, BUT I’m educable enough to accept it could be a sanitized version that got passed around with no knowledge of its origins.  So, thank you, I stand educated.

I guess Davy is out of luck to be in like Flynn until their wedding night.  Nudge, nudge wink wink.

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

think I would maybe encourage her to keep it going long-distance for a little while, make sure they can make it a year or so at least!

Oh, but no! Mother Evelyn was adamant that she didn’t want Evelyn going back to Spain if the visa was denied and they needed to reapply.  So, the hymen police have spoken. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

In all fairness, she thinks she’s ready for all this, but at 18, how mature really were any of us at that age? 

I was a complete moron then.  Some would say I haven't made much progress.  

30 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

. . .the hymen police have spoken

"Young lady, I pulled you over for going too fast.  I'll need your license and proof of virginity."

• LOL 1
  • Love 12

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall David ever saying he was a 'virgin'. He said something about maintaining his 'purity', which to him could've meant with Evelyn.

It seems you'd have to have faith to be in a car with her behind the wheel.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, gonecrackers said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't recall David ever saying he was a 'virgin'. He said something about maintaining his 'purity', which to him could've meant with Evelyn.

It seems you'd have to have faith to be in a car with her behind the wheel.

Evelyn stated that they were both virgins in a TH, so she is either lying or he told her.

• Love 1
Just now, biakbiak said:

Evelyn stated that they were both virgins in a TH, so she is either lying or he told her.

Or he was just as vague as gonecrackers suggested, and Evelyn just "assumed."

• Love 3

To me he acted a little 'off' when they were speaking about their purity. He was also leaning quite a bit away from her during most of the TH...  maybe just afraid of any premarital physical contact.

ETA: However they did hug tight (full frontal no less) at the airport.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Kath94 said:

Or he was just as vague as gonecrackers suggested, and Evelyn just "assumed."

Then it was clearly a lie of admission to her because there is no way she didn't directly mention being a virgin to him given how much she talks about it.

5 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

To me he acted a little 'off' when they were speaking about their purity. He was also leaning quite a bit away from her during most of the TH...  maybe just afraid of any premarital physical contact.

I think most normally people would be "off" talking about it to the camera in their second language. 

• Love 1

I want to know if Evelyn and David have ever been allowed to be alone together or if they are the kind of fundamentalist Christians who insist on there always being a third-party chaperone with them.  I wouldn’t be shocked if one of Evelyn’s parents was supervising all of their Skype conversations, too.

If they have never even been able to have a private conversation together then, wow, they are idiots and I can’t wait for the drama to come.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I’m from Texas, so I heard “in like flint”, BUT I’m educable enough to accept it could be a sanitized version that got passed around with no knowledge of its origins.  So, thank you, I stand educated.

I guess Davy is out of luck to be in like Flynn until their wedding night.  Nudge, nudge wink wink.

"In like Flint" is a common malapropism, in large part due to the 1967 movie In Like Flint.

16 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Oh, but no! Mother Evelyn was adamant that she didn’t want Evelyn going back to Spain if the visa was denied and they needed to reapply.  So, the hymen police have spoken. 

I'm sure David would be happy to be the hymen police! He'll just slip in from time to time to make sure it's no longer there. LOL

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Booger666 said:

I think Evelyn is a terrible human being.  I don’t believe David is a virgin.  I believe he tells Evelyn he is and she chooses to believe him.

This. Either he lies outright and says explicitly that he's a virgin or he lies by omission and says that he's maintaining his purity knowing that she interprets that as "I'm a virgin", while he probably means something along the lines of "I'm not getting any action right now and am content to wait until we're married to get it from you."

Edited to add: If I were a woman, I don't think I'd want the first time I had sex to be with a man for whom it is also the first time. I remember the first time I had sex. The whole thing was over in the time it takes to turn the lights off and then immediately back on. I miss being young, though, when my reboot time was measured in hours instead of days....

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 9

Well, there are those in the purity movement who declare themselves “born again virgins”.  They are the contingent who have seen “the error of their ways” and vow not to do it again until marriage.  

Hes got half a lifetime of maturity over her living in a  society with much more liberal and permissive attitudes and openness towards sex that she has been insulated from for the most part by her family. 

Unless David was raised the same way as she was all his life, it makes sense to me that he’s more likely a recent convert to Evangelical Christianity from Catholicism or another faith. In their minds, whatever happened before the conversion  to what they believe to be the right flavor of Christianity, lets the new believer start off with a clean slate. It comes from the New Testament about “becoming a new creature”.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Typo
  • Love 4
48 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Well, there are those in the purity movement who declare themselves “born again virgins”.  They are the contingent who have seen “the error of their ways” and vow not to do it again until marriage.  

Hes got half a lifetime of maturity over her living in a  society with much more liberal and permissive attitudes and openness towards sex that she has been insulated from for the most part by her family. 

Unless David was raised the same way as she was all his life, it makes sense to me that he’s more likely a recent convert to Evangelical Christianity from Catholicism or another faith. In their minds, whatever happened before the conversion  to what they believe to be the right flavor of Christianity, lets the new believer start off with a clean slate. It comes from the New Testament about “becoming a new creature”.

I hate this logic. They should just own that they fucked up and stop trying to whitewash it. I'd have more respect for them, then. As it is, I am unable to do anything other than to dismiss and deride them.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MrSmith said:

I hate this logic. They should just own that they fucked up and stop trying to whitewash it. I'd have more respect for them, then. As it is, I am unable to do anything other than to dismiss and deride them.

I hate it too, but it seems a lot kinder to people than referring to them as (to use Jim Bob Duggar’s words): “cups of spit” or “pieces of already chewed gum”, which devalues people and makes them already feel bad enough about themselves for not being able to live up to the ideals they’ve been held up to.  Some kids feel bad enough about messing up, and even if they don’t, being shamed doesn’t help anyone. 

Unless and until purity proponents hold both genders to the same standards of behavior, it seems to disproportionately shame girls.  Some of them DO say it’s for both, but not enough really push that point. Granny58 has the right idea that sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. I abhor double standards of any kind, particularly those that keep people living in shame.

Young people need to be taught self respect and to avoid engaging in behaviors they are not emotionally mature enough for just yet, whether they choose to wait for marriage or not.  Sometimes waiting out even a date or two, will tell you a bit more about a person, and you can avoid a bad egg.   Evelyn and David, whether we choose to agree with their choice or not, are doing what they believe is right for them.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, MrSmith said:

Edited to add: If I were a woman, I don't think I'd want the first time I had sex to be with a man for whom it is also the first time. I remember the first time I had sex. The whole thing was over in the time it takes to turn the lights off and then immediately back on. I miss being young, though, when my reboot time was measured in hours instead of days....

I was someone's first time. He was 28. It was right before I met my husband. His virginity had become a big rock hanging over his head. He'd put so much weight on it, so much importance, that it was actually stressing him out. He couldn't date because once women found out he was a virgin, it was turning them off. Too much pressure. Because he'd never done it before, he was bashful and had a lack of confidence and couldn't initiate-would he be good, would he know HOW, how did he know what felt good, etc? We'd been friends for 20 years and he finally asked me if I would. I loved him as a friend and I knew what he'd been through over the years with women. I did it but I have to say, it was stressful. So much pressure on me. Still, I am glad we did it. His confidence increased, he was able to ask a lovely lady out several months later, and they're now married (and have been for 10 years). 

I did it for him because I knew how he felt. I was 21 before I lost mine and it was also becoming a noose around MY neck. I'm glad I waited until I did but I am sorry that I had such hang-ups about the act itself. I think my misgivings (sex being dirty, me being less for doing it, it being wrapped up in my self worth) gave me hang-ups about sex that I am still trying to overcome in some ways. 

Ha ha. You all now know more about my sex life than my friends do. 

• Love 18

Re: Evelyn’s comments about guys being inappropriate on instagram comments.  I checked out her profile a little and found s bikini picture. Now, I don’t feel simply wearing a bikini or even posting a photo of it are by any means an invitation for lewd comments...BUT, she is hashtagging photos with things like #bikini #victoriassecret. Obvisouly, you should know what you’re attracting with things like that. Also can’t stand her because she thinks she’s so damn important. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, MrSmith said:

This. Either he lies outright and says explicitly that he's a virgin or he lies by omission and says that he's maintaining his purity knowing that she interprets that as "I'm a virgin", while he probably means something along the lines of "I'm not getting any action right now and am content to wait until we're married to get it from you."

If this is true then it’s another thing to be concerned about with David. It would mean that he is a 28 year old man with a thing for a barely legal girl that he knows he can’t get unless he lies about his sexual history. That’s skeevy.  Evelyn is a smug, obnoxious, know-it-all teen but if he is lying to her about being a virgin then he’s being horrible to her. It doesn’t matter whether virginity is important to other people. It matters to her and she has been upfront (ad  nauseam) about it. I hope he isn’t lying because if he is, it gives me the creeps and I was already creeped out by the thought of a 27 year old man striking up an Internet relationship with a 17 year old and deciding to marry her. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Evelyn is a smug, obnoxious, know-it-all teen but if he is lying to her about being a virgin then he’s being horrible to her. It doesn’t matter whether virginity is important to other people. It matters to her and she has been upfront (ad  nauseam) about it. I hope he isn’t lying because if he is, it gives me the creeps

Bolded.  THIS! That’s what bothers me about all of this. Regardless of how any of us personally feel about this or her, she deserves to have a guy as pure as she is since she’s kept herself tidy. I hope he’s been honest with her, because anything less is a mean thing to do to her. At the end of the day, it’s their business.

Other than her being so immature and neither being together very long, I do not see these two as much of a train wreck waiting to happen.  I’m nowhere near as worried about Evelyn as I am Elizabeth. Evelyn and David will fade into the woodwork as a relatively boring, nice quiet drama free (as far as this show goes) couple. Sort of like Allan and Kirlyam or Kyle and Noon.

That Andrei has a controlling, abuser, heavy drinker vibe that makes me afraid for Elizabeth. I hope I’ve misjudged him, but from what I’ve seen thus far, it looks like things won’t end well. Since this is the Evelyn and David thread, I’ll leave it at that.

• Love 3

I'm sure we will get the answer to this but David's "purity" could be measured as "everything but."  I've never found this remotely logical since many acts of "everything but" are more intimate than actual intercourse.  At least if it's a measure of purity versus pregnancy prevention....and I know some of you read that and thought "butt."  

Fess up, you know y'all did!

• Love 5
6 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I'm sure we will get the answer to this but David's "purity" could be measured as "everything but."  I've never found this remotely logical since many acts of "everything but" are more intimate than actual intercourse.  At least if it's a measure of purity versus pregnancy prevention....and I know some of you read that and thought "butt."  

Fess up, you know y'all did!

Touché! If I were back on the dating scene, I imagine I’d probably have actual intercourse with someone before letting them get their face near my nether regions. However, me thinks Evelyn’s action has been limited to kissing. David, not so sure. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Mambo Gladys said:

Re: Evelyn’s comments about guys being inappropriate on instagram comments.  I checked out her profile a little and found s bikini picture. Now, I don’t feel simply wearing a bikini or even posting a photo of it are by any means an invitation for lewd comments...BUT, she is hashtagging photos with things like #bikini #victoriassecret. Obvisouly, you should know what you’re attracting with things like that. Also can’t stand her because she thinks she’s so damn important. 

What exactly are those hashtags supposed to mean? Victoria's Secret? Is she wearing their lingerie?

• Love 1
On 10/24/2017 at 3:05 PM, Nancybeth said:

Thanks for the info, LJN!  It makes sense that they would get through the process quicker than some of the other couples we've seen on the show.  I assume Evelyn's parents are sponsoring him?

I'm not a parent, but I think I would very concerned about a 26-year-old who wanted to romance my 18-year-old, and very very concerned if he was coming from a foreign country!  I just can't understand how they're seemingly so blase about it.  I have so many questions -- did they just meet the one time in person?  Did she travel alone to Spain or did her family go with her?  I think I would maybe encourage her to keep it going long-distance for a little while, make sure they can make it a year or so at least!

Evelyn's Mother looks at least ten years older than her cutie pie Dad. Maybe that's why they don't comment on the age difference?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

Oh, my.  Get a load of this

Seems like a standard idiotic pre-wedding twenty-something argument.  I wish she would stop smiling while she's angry, but that's certainly how she was raised.  This won't be the last time these two run into differing expectations.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Sprockets said:

Seems like a standard idiotic pre-wedding twenty-something argument.  I wish she would stop smiling while she's angry, but that's certainly how she was raised.  This won't be the last time these two run into differing expectations.  

My daughter is currently doing the k-1 Visa and they have had this exact argument. His friends don’t want spend money to wear what the bridal party is wearing and the groom regularly pulls out the ‘well they are paying to come here’. Of course after the wedding they are all taking long vacations in the US so I am unsympathetic.  

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

. . .the groom regularly pulls out the ‘well they are paying to come here. . .

These schmucks don't seem to realize that the bride decides these things, and the bride is the person they will be living with after the wedding.  David was whining that he "needs" these people at his wedding, and I'm sure it would be nice for him, but he needs to buy a clue about his long-term priorities.  

• Love 2