Type keyword(s) to search

Evelyn & David: Who Let Them in Here?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

He could have tried to pursue a work visa instead of a K-1.

These are VERY hard to get, and to give. David probably would not have gotten one. We tried to get my husband one, instead of a fiance visa, simply because he wanted to work as soon as he got here. We thought it might be better for him to come over on a work visa and then marry later. He hated the idea of having to be here for 6 months without a job. However...

Work visas cost the employer thousands of dollars. (I know this because I recently tried to bring over a foreign worker and wound up being unable to go through with the process because of the expense.) Not only do they cost the employer a lot out of pocket, but the employer MUST prove that a) the job cannot be filled by any other worker in the United States and b) that the prospective employee holds specialized skills that are unique and necessary for the position. Proving these things are difficult, simply due to the fact that the US literally has millions of unemployed people who could probably fit the slot. Now, if you're a company that has an office abroad and you want to bring a current employee over to the "home office", that's a different story. That's a completely different visa. If David was working with a major company in Dublin and they had an American office, then he could be transferred a bit easier. 

There are a few other options for work. If David was a performing artist, or author, then he could come over on a specialized visa. The income minimum for that is quite a bit, however. We're talking household name status. 

Companies can also bring people over for seasonal work, just as long as they're willing to pay for the temporary visa. I've worked for summer camps that hired a good portion of their staff members from international locations. The temporary work visa cost was technically "covered" by the employer, but they basically deducted it from their employee's paychecks. These visas are only good for a) that employer and for b) a certain amount of time (usually just a few months). 

Lastly, they could have married in Spain and then had him come over on a spousal visa. We considered that option as well. It takes much, MUCH longer, however, is just as expensive, and he still wouldn't have been able to work until he did his adjustment of status.

General "work visas" do not exist in the literal sense.  

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 6

Mamadrama- I know they are much harder to get. I know several people with them but I work in a industry where it’s more common. I just want to hear some discussion about what he’s been doing with his 20s and what he plans to do now. I don’t say that to absolve the woman of responsiblity of financial contribution  but with her being 18 she isn’t going to have work history or experience. Her ‘God will provide’ idea is moronic. I’m a Christian but I believe God expects us to make wise decisions and work for opportunities- He does provide but not magically. I would hope David has some work history to help him becoming employed here. Although Evelyn should have to get a job,  I would expect the 28 year old to have more financial and career stability. Maybe he has plans but I don’t hear them. I would expect it to be a major part of the conversation. For example, when he said he wanted to live somewhere warmer and larger, if he followed that up with ‘there are more opportunities for my X job’ there I would have been right behind him. But that wasn’t part of the conversation. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

A double major is when you gradute with two degrees, or you take the courses to do so.  

I meant I don't know what a degree simply in "languages" means. Fun fact: I was a double major.

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I meant I don't know what a degree simply in "languages" means. Fun fact: I was a double major.

Oh.  It means nothing.  I've seen degrees for "modern languages" or "romance languages," but not just for languages.  I think the article left something out.  

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Maybe he has plans but I don’t hear them. I would expect it to be a major part of the conversation.

Now that you mention it, I would expect the logistics of their future to be a large part of each couple's conversation - and yet we hear nothing.  By the time they have decided to marry and are applying for the visa, they should have discussed a whole lot of practical things.  We get crickets.  

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Oh.  It means nothing.  I've seen degrees for "modern languages" or "romance languages," but not just for languages.  I think the article left something out.  

Now that you mention it, I would expect the logistics of their future to be a large part of each couple's conversation - and yet we hear nothing.  By the time they have decided to marry and are applying for the visa, they should have discussed a whole lot of practical things.  We get crickets.  

I agree. How can you not talk about this kind of stuff when you are getting married. For couples who actually live on the same side of the ocean while dating it comes up more organically during the relationship so I can see it not dominating every conversation, but these people haven’t dated long, hardly know each other, and don’t live in the same country so I would think logistics would be at the forefront even if they are ‘in love’. 

Maybe they all have more thoughtout solid plans but we don’t see it because it doesn’t make good TV.  - and maybe I’ll win the lottery tomorrow without buying a ticket. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Chippings said:

3girls, Y e s !!   I mentioned that last week when we first saw David Spain --   Those are all excellent and pertinent questions.  The show has been careful not to touch on that at all; usually it'd come up in conversation.   We do know Luis is a bartender, but what about  the pouting dude in Dublin, who is also in his late 20s ?    I'm kind of p.o.'d that the show is keeping those pretty significant facts off-stage, because it is a huge element of each story, actually.

("Fun fact":   A long time ago I first discovered Television Without Pity by way of an article in Newsweek that said it was an internet resource where the comments were easily tracked, and pretty intelligent, and the producers of show actually looked at the site to see what their viewers were thinking.  So, if that is still true:  Producers:  It's important - what do these guys do for a living??

Fun fact: we are never told what the fiancees do for a living unless they are fitness trainers (Jesse, Devar, Pedro, Azan, Evelin from Colombia - dance teacher).

Edited by Ivanova
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

According to this article. David recently graduated from college with a double major in business and languages (wwho knows what that means), I am still shocked on the tight turnaround on their story, they got married last week!

Thank you !  That tells us something at least about what the heck he's been doing, and he did find something to do in New Hampshire when he got up in the mornings.   

• Love 2
On 10/25/2017 at 7:10 AM, Booger666 said:

I think Evelyn is a terrible human being.

Agreed!  She's an out of control delusional little narcissist.   Life has a few surprises in store for her when she discovers that she's only perfect and special to her adoring parents.  She can't remain in that echo chamber forever.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Mamadrama- I know they are much harder to get. I know several people with them but I work in a industry where it’s more common. I just want to hear some discussion about what he’s been doing with his 20s and what he plans to do now. I don’t say that to absolve the woman of responsiblity of financial contribution  but with her being 18 she isn’t going to have work history or experience. Her ‘God will provide’ idea is moronic. I’m a Christian but I believe God expects us to make wise decisions and work for opportunities- He does provide but not magically. I would hope David has some work history to help him becoming employed here. Although Evelyn should have to get a job,  I would expect the 28 year old to have more financial and career stability. Maybe he has plans but I don’t hear them. I would expect it to be a major part of the conversation. For example, when he said he wanted to live somewhere warmer and larger, if he followed that up with ‘there are more opportunities for my X job’ there I would have been right behind him. But that wasn’t part of the conversation. 

My guess is that they ARE having those conversations and they're just being left off screen. I personally know Matt and Alla, from last season, and can attest to the fact that lots of their information was conveniently left out because it just didn't make as good of a storyline as his friend bickering with him, Alla trying to fit in with his family, etc. etc. TLC probably thinks we'd much rather watch Evelyn smugly act like a little pampered princess and order everyone about than to listen to David's career aspirations. (They'd be wrong, in a sense, because I'd actually like to hear some of that but they're going to do what they're going to do.) And, who knows, we might hear about those later. We're only a few episodes in and we just met David himself. I guess my point is that just because we aren't seeing it on the show, and just because we as the audience aren't hearing about them, doesn't mean it's not happening. As someone else posted, he's apparently volunteering there in NH in his field (languages) at the moment and trying to garner some work experience, which is pretty much all he can do at the moment. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Moraccan woman cook healthy meals every day.

Fun fact: I'm moving to Morocco so Azan's mother can cook for me, all day every day, because Moroccan food is something I could eat quite happily for the rest of my life.

Nicole is never going to change.  It's very sad, actually.  She is just the product of a mindset and the upbringing that comes with it.  I am from rural Indiana.  I know of what I speak.  One time, I was at a cookout and one of the people refused to eat the hot dogs because they were Hebrew National.  Adventurous eating to them means getting Thousand Island on your iceberg lettuce instead of Ranch.

I'm not being condescending to people like that.  They are the people with whom I was raised.  They are who they are, and that's that for them.  It is not a mindset, however, that lends itself well to distant foreign lands and different customs.  I am actually amazed that Nicole made the trip in the first place.

Edited by bethster2000
Sorry, sprockets! LOL
  • Love 9
On 2017-10-28 at 7:20 PM, MrSmith said:

I'm a man so maybe I'm just completely off-base here. Anyway, what I would expect is that people wouldn't be perverted troglodytes just because they're hiding behind a computer screen. I would expect them to remember that there's a person on the other end of their comments. I would expect that not every picture of a woman is met with comments either sexual or insulting/bullying in nature. I expect that women would be just as free to share pictures of themselves living their lives - just like men can do - without any backlash or victim-blaming.

I would say I'm sorry for what I am about to say, but I am not sorry and I'm not going to lie about being sorry in the interest of social norms or being polite. So here it is: Your comment is the equivalent of saying that because she's in a bikini (or other form-fitting or revealing attire), then it's no wonder she was raped. That shit doesn't fly with me. Men don't get to excuse their poor behaviour based on how someone looks. They have control over themselves and can decide how they act, and they're no more entitled to blame their poor behaviour on other people's choices than women are. (I'm ignoring the gender fluidity of our times for simplicity's sake.)

Totally knew you were a keeper  :)

• Love 5

I think they did marry, as someone said here?  It's probably bad acting on both their parts, so she's coming off bitchy & he's giving attitude back. If it's not contrived they should be ready for a world of hurts.

Unfortunately, the bad singing is very real.

• Love 5

Women who are well endowed can go to the grocery store in a loose fitting sweatshirt and still receive unwanted attention. It's isn't right but it is a fact of being born a women. Women who go to the grocery store at three in the afternoon dressed like they are about to go to a nightclub do it purposely for the attention. Neither group of people are inviting someone to touch or rape them, and the comparison requires a leap of logic that I can't understand.

Evelyn posted photos of herself in bikinis so that she could receive accolades. She was fine with people saying she was attractive but wants us to believe that someone saying something like, "Are you down to f*ck?" was offensive to her virginal ears. Women learn at a very young age that they are going to receive unwanted attention from assholes. It won't ever change because being an asshole is not a criminal offense and many people, male and female, thrive on being assholes. Evelyn wanted the attention but expected it to all be positive. Blocking people who typed something she found offensive is the correct way to handle it, but she isn't entitled to any sympathy from me since the entire issue could have been avoided if she didn't post the photos in the first place, but then she wouldn't be receiving the hits and comments, which is what she wanted and why she did it.

It would be great if we lived in a different world where unwanted attention didn't exist, but we don't. 

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Christina said:

but she isn't entitled to any sympathy from me since the entire issue could have been avoided if she didn't post the photos in the first place, but then she wouldn't be receiving the hits and comments, which is what she wanted and why she did it.

She never asked for any sympathy she was answering a question of why she responded to David versus the others though in this case they apparently also have a mutual friend which is why this conversation went beyond just FB.

• Love 4
On 10/31/2017 at 1:41 AM, bethster2000 said:

One time, I was at a cookout and one of the people refused to eat the hot dogs because they were Hebrew National.  

For us non US citizens - what's a Hebrew National?

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Drogo said:

It's a hot dog without weird cow parts in it (because it's Kosher.) 

It also doesn't have any pork whatsoever in it.  It's 100% beef, all of the parts that go in to it are OK per Kosher laws, and they may have a Rabbi on staff who blesses it (there is a Kosher chicken plant here that I have known some people that worked there, and they keep Rabbis on staff.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Drogo said:

It's a hot dog without weird cow parts

I did some research and now I cannot unknow certain things.  Most of the "weird" parts are still included.  Every part of a cow is called beef.  Urp.  

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, Drogo said:

kosher hot dogs don't contain cow asshole, the others do.  Every BBQ we have we buy Hebrew National. 

I was specifically looking for that in my research, but I found nothing.  I will take your word for it.  My revulsion for that sort of edible reached critical capacity several years ago, and I do not partake.  Can I have "Eyeballs and Hair" for $600, Alex?  

19D923E4-968D-49C6-BE93-BABAE60C38C5.gif

Edited by Sprockets
wrong gif
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sprockets said:

was specifically looking for that in my research, but I found nothing.  I will take your word for it.  My revulsion for that sort of edible reached critical capacity several years ago, and I do not partake.  Can I have "Eyeballs and Hair" for $600, Alex?  

Their ad campaign a few years ago was "No ifs, ands or butts" and by Kosher law you can only use the forequarters of the cow. Here is an article about it.

I forgot that Evelyn had worked at a camp in France so apparently she has done some travelling without her parents. I want more details about her family, just not more singing.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Their ad campaign a few years ago was "No its, ands or butts" and by Kosher law you can only use the forequarters of the cow.

So Hillbilly National gets the back ends?  

22 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I don’t find it appealing or the impending reflux.

The worst.  My stomach is like a delicate little flower.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Quof said:

Have you met Larry?

You trying to hook us up?  Seriously, as soon as I saw a pig on a spit I would have been out of there.  I used to run all around the workd doing god knows what, but thise days are a distant memory.  

• Love 4

She is quite the little bratty child isn't she?? Um Im sure people would be willing to put up his friends and family, and you have no interested in anything he wants. David comes across as a descent guy. This marriage wont last unless she grows up...yes she is only 18 probably to young to be marrying but grow up sweetie!

• Love 4

Ok. I’m wavering on David. He was a dick to Michaela. I feel bad for her. She and Evil-lyn are supposedly life-long friends, but Evil didn’t say anything when David was rude to her. She’s a little narcissist, so I doubt she’s ever put anyone first. David is in for it. 

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They met four years ago.

Ah! OK, so high school besties. Still...David was rude, turning things back on Michaela. I guess if she’s not currently in a relationship, she’s not “qualified” to give a close friend her point of view and solid advice. 

Edited by 7isBlue
  • Love 6

After what David said to Mikayla tonight, I have ZERO sympathy for him now.  You want your twee little Christian brat with her caterwauling voice and smug little mien and her JesusFreak Family Band?  Have at it, asshole.  You two deserve each other.

I have seen my vision of what my own personal hell, and it is sitting at the dining room table with Evelyn, with a steaming mug of tea, and addressing envelopes (AND RSVPs!!!!) for all of eternity.

Forgot to mention the nasty pasta salad and creamy goo (mashed potatoes?) being spooned from deli plastic containers.

Edited by bethster2000
  • Love 10

All I can think about when watching these two is that show The Good Place where two characters think they are in heaven but are actually in hell and have been matched up to make each other miserable.  David and Evelyn are fundie failures slowly and consistently torturing each other to death in their frozen hell.  It cracks me up when they are onscreen talking about how in love and fabulous they are when everything about them as a couple is the pinnacle of relationship misery and drudgery.  

• Love 12
On 11/5/2017 at 11:55 PM, NinaH said:

Mother Evelyn looked so different in tonight's ep for some reason. I thought she'd been re-cast. 

Like Chris on the "The Partridge Family"? :)

I actually kind of like Family Evelyn.  They all seem like very, nice people.  If they really think "The Band" is going to support the family, they are delusional, though.  I hope they have day jobs.  

On 01/11/2017 at 2:01 PM, Christina said:

velyn posted photos of herself in bikinis so that she could receive accolades. She was fine with people saying she was attractive

Fun Fact - no she isn't attractive and she SHOULD have had more spankings when little

• Love 7