Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, brillia79 said:

Someone brought up diversity in Claremont and someone said, who cares if Claremont isn't diverse because lack of diversity doesn't mean a town won't accept outsiders.

So there's that.

But it's good to know that whites couldn't possibly care about lynchings. Kinda bolsters the argument about people living insular, segregated lives. 

You really twisted my words and meaning. My point was simply that David is an ass; race is not an issue for David or at least it was not discussed on the show; and I don't think the lynching was an issue for David. Perhaps I'm being unfair to David on the last point.  I said nothing about  white people as I am not qualified to speak for them. I don't know of any white person who would condone lynching.  I'm not sure of the timeline, but I believe this show was filmed before the lynching case.  BTW, diversity does not necessarily mean there is a significant black population. For example, my state is very diverse, but the black population is only about 5%.  I don't know why that is. What I have noticed is that there seems to be more integration here than in Midwestern and southern states, in my experience. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, balisticnikki said:

LOL

Not really. He's considered Mediterranean, along w/ Greeks, Italians, Egyptians, Moroccans, Lebanese, etc. The Mediterranean region consists of Southern Europe, North Africa and some other places in the Middle East, so there is some diversity in looks but no one is going to mistake him for Jesse from the Netherlands. Ppl w/ no cultural exposure see a guy w/ "swarthy" skin and hear the accent and they assume he is a Muslim terrorist or an illegal Mexican or one of the other "piss races." And yes, members of those groups are marginalized in all sorts of ways, too. So he definitely may want to see that there are others besides Western European descendants there. But I think he's even more interested in the "mentality" of ppl from big racially diverse cities as opposed to actual census data.

The Mediterranean is in Europe.  Spain is in Europe.   David is Caucasian, commonly referred to as the while race.  But who cares.  The point I was trying to make is that the discussion of race here is way off topic. David's concern about diversity, if that was even his concern and I'm not convinced it was, has nothing to do with how many black people live in Claremont.  

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

I agree with what you said but have a different take on it as well.

On a trip to Finland my seat-mate was a lovely young Swedish woman who'd lived a few years in Australia. She was returning to Sweden to spend time with her mom and family. We kept in touch way past my trip and she visited me twice. Once with her boyfriend who she dumped when they returned because he turned out to have a myoptic view of her well-rounded cultural education. The other time she came with another young lady and they both stayed with me.

One evening I took them to Pt. Fermin and told her friend we were standing on the edge of California. She thought that was awesome. I then asked her what was the prettiest sunset she'd ever seen? She said "Hawaii". Right then I realized just how well-travelled they both were and how easily they immersed themselves into the places they'd been. It also told me I had more traveling to do because I'd never been anywhere that had a beautiful sunset. A lot of exciting places but not one that had awesome sunsets.

I don't think David was being elitist at all.  I think the Family Evelyn needs to expand.

I think the difference is that just because you know Hawaii might have the best sunsets doesn’t mean you can’t appreciate a nice sunset somewhere else. David seems to have decided if it isn’t like home  it isn’t worth paying attention at all. The Alps are amazing but that doesn’t mean other mountains have no beauty. 

• Love 6
37 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Having less slaves doesn't make you less racist. 1 in 7 new Yorkers was enslaved in 1776. Colonial populations of cities in New England in the 1600's often had more slaves than free people. The difference between the North and South was that the North was a society with slaves while the south was a slave society. It has nothing to do with levels of racism. The lovely Brown family of Brown University were slave traders and the number one financial activity" for Rhode Island from 1720 to 1807 was the slave trade. NH moved backwards and forwards regarding anti-slavery legislation and didn't officially ban it until 1857. Was the situation as bad as the south? No, It wasn't. But NH and NE in general isn't exactly a bastion of racial harmony.

I think we were posting at the same time.  I'm actually writing a paper right now on Abolition  in the Caribbean and Latin America. I study Atlantic History which covers the slave trade A LOT.

There seems to be very little history of slavery in NH, ME and VT.  Slavery was more common in RI and CT.   In the 1790 Census there were 158 slaves in NH, in 1800, there were 8.  ME and VT had zero.  I'm not claiming there was perfect racial harmony or anything close to it.  My point is that one of the main reasons the black population is low in NH is that there were very few slaves and slaves and their descendants formed the foundation of the black populations of most states.  Add the fact that NH, VT and ME are cold and lack large cities and industry, it makes sense that not many black Americans chose to migrate to these states after slavery.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

"Elitist" is a word Stupid People use when someone makes their stupid, xenophobic worldview patently obvious.

What was her family required to do when David spent all of dinner trashing where they live?  Say "gee, you're right, what a dump, thanks for enlightening us!"?  Come on.  I don't like Evelyn, but from what I've seen her parents and brother have been nothing but gracious to David since he arrived.  And I personally have no desire to live in Claremont, but people from there having an affection for it doesn't automatically indicate some kind of moral failing on their part or a "stupid, xenophobic worldview."  Evelyn's main failings are that she is annoying and bratty.  

Edited by wovenloaf
punctuation
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

"Elitist" is a word Stupid People use when someone makes their stupid, xenophobic worldview patently obvious.

No, I think the term refers to when people, often from major cities, think they are better because they live in cities that are diverse and have a lively culture and turn their noses up at people who don't live there. That doesn't make the non-city folk xenophobic.  I live in a suburb outside of NYC, and while I love visiting the city, I would never live in Manhattan like a lot of my friends.  I can't handle large crowds, lots of noise, and all the latte shops and vegan restaurants don't appeal to me.  It's when those NYC folk come to my town and call it boring because there isn't an organic grocery store every 10 feet that I roll my eyes and use the "e" word.  Elitists are the people who think that everyone who lives outside of a major urban center are xenophobic....

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, bethster2000 said:

Hey there from Arizona!  The funny thing is, most of us here have "our" Mexican place.  Our favorite places are Arribas and Valle Luna.  Neither are fancy at all, but you will have a lovely family experience at both.  Pretty pedestrian stuff, but the margaritas flow and the chips and salsa are plentiful.

Up in Sedona, there is a marvelous Mexican restaurant called Elote Cafe.

Topic: ain't no apples like Evil-yn's apples.  She obviously has never tried a Jazz apple.  Or a delicious Cameo.

Back in the day I'd spend chunks of time in the general Phoenix area for a few weeks during spring training and then again during "fall ball" ... when I was first starting out, the veteran baseball writers all raved about Los Dos. I went once or twice and thought it was good but didn't live up to the hype. Definitely agree everyone has their own favorites ... I definitely learned, though, when going out for Mexican food in Arizona do NOT go to a chain because there are plenty of great little innocuous looking places in strip malls that would be much better. 

To be honest, I was a lot more familiar with the bars there LOL. Oh, and Pischke's Paradise for breakfast. And Downside Risk which may not even be there anymore. Oh, and the Grotto (Italian) ALWAYS. 

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

No, I think the term refers to when people, often from major cities, think they are better because they live in cities that are diverse and have a lively culture and turn their noses up at people who don't live there. That doesn't make the non-city folk xenophobic.  I live in a suburb outside of NYC, and while I love visiting the city, I would never live in Manhattan like a lot of my friends.  I can't handle large crowds, lots of noise, and all the latte shops and vegan restaurants don't appeal to me.  It's when those NYC folk come to my town and call it boring because there isn't an organic grocery store every 10 feet that I roll my eyes and use the "e" word.  Elitists are the people who think that everyone who lives outside of a major urban center are xenophobic....

I grew up in a suburb  (in  NJ) outside "The City" as Manhattan was called and I can attest that what you are saying is spot- on. I live even further from NYC now, in a different state and while I occasionally love going there to visit--broadway, museums, etc. I would not want to live there. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

You really twisted my words and meaning. My point was simply that David is an ass; race is not an issue for David or at least it was not discussed on the show; and I don't think the lynching was an issue for David. Perhaps I'm being unfair to David on the last point.  I said nothing about  white people as I am not qualified to speak for them. I don't know of any white person who would condone lynching.  I'm not sure of the timeline, but I believe this show was filmed before the lynching case.  BTW, diversity does not necessarily mean there is a significant black population. For example, my state is very diverse, but the black population is only about 5%.  I don't know why that is. What I have noticed is that there seems to be more integration here than in Midwestern and southern states, in my experience. 

So... your words:

"Also, do you really think David is that concerned about about the attempted lynching?  I doubt it.  He is, after all, European and racially white. "

What was twisted?

David is an ass. Yeah. I can't deny that. Nor have I tried to. I also think he thought he'd be able to control a young bride more easily, which creeps me out.

Diversity is not an issue for David... well, he went out of his way to comment on how the Mexican restaurant wasn't owned by a Mexican or Spanish speakers (whether or not it's true, he thinks it is). Diversity appears to matter to him in some form.

I'm well aware that diversity doesn't just mean black people live there. Now show me where Claremont has any other measured forms of diversity: racial, religious, ethnicity, etc. 

Again, someone mentioned that it didn't matter if Claremont was diverse because armed guards weren't keeping people out. I brought up a case of recent racialized violence, because a noose is just as good as an armed guard for conveying who is welcome and who is not. Some people seem bothered I brought it up. It turned into a massive back and forth. And yet, you singled my post out for being off topic.

So there's that.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

David and Evelyn are very, very bad at expressing themselves. Evelyn is laying it on so thick I can almost understand David pushing back some. The breakfast place is the Best Breakfast Place Ever. The apples are the Most Delicious Ambrosia of the Gods. The view is the Most Beautiful, Awe-Inspiring Panorama that Ever Delighted the Eyes of a Human. Jesus, girl, dial it back. It must be exhausting to be around her. "We're going down Main Street, Claremont. The most Delightful Thoroughfare of Any Town in the United States". "We're going to Target in Claremont Mall. Its the Most Unique and Original Assortment of Stores Ever Assembled in One Place". "My mom is cooking an egg. Isn't it the Freshest, Most Delicious Egg Ever Cooked?" Don't mistake me, David is acting like a sulky 7 year old. But against the constant onslaught of the Wonderful Specialness of Claremont, I can almost see why.

Maybe she could just sometimes say "I love this breakfast place--it's been my favorite since I was a kid. I hope you like it too". Or "A view like this is special to me. There are higher mountains but this is my home. Maybe you'll come to love it too. I'd like that."

If Libby is a driven, ambitious, Type A go-getter, I am the Queen of Romania.

This!!!! It appears that her communication skills are more than lacking and I can't help but wonder how or why it happens. I think she hasn't even had to entertain anyone else from out of town - ever -  because if she had ever done so, she might have had some semblance of how to communicate with others in general. 

She's also a product of her environment/family, which makes me think that when MotherEvelyn ever had out of town guests like other friends or family members, or even out of town church folks visiting for a certain reason, all ME did was talk about how perfect Claremont is. 

I know it's probably on the cutting room floor, but I would love to see FamilyEvelyn ask questions! When DavidSpain said he left his sister too, that would have been a perfect time for someone to ask him to tell them about her. 'What does she do? How close are you? Is she married?" The Band Evelyn, assuming she met SisterDavidSpain, could have talked about her to give the family some background and context. Maybe I'm annoyed with FamilyEvelyn because I don't recall them asking questions about him, his family, his faith, his motivation to choose his major - anything!!!   I'm a person who asks questions when meeting people because that's what you show do! You're showing interest in them, geek out about common interests, and it can lead to a natural two-way, interactive conversation. No one needs to be straight up interviewed.

I wanted to smack her during the "at least I'm not an elitist" TH & he had no idea what she said. I would have loved to have seen it unfold had he known what the word meant...especially after she refused to explain her comment to him. "Nevermind." What a grade A bitch! That's an example of her acting like a teenager - right there. Her immaturity, ignorance and inability to communicate are three (of the many)  reasons she has no business getting married.

She needs to take her happity ass on a year long gap trip and do missionary/church work in either different cities in the states or in other countries. Homegirl needs some damn life and world experience. She can teach "singing" in orphanages, learn Spanish, volunteer in Haiti & use her French (she can probably stay with FamilyAbby!) or do anything else that would open her eyes to the real world. It's not just the poverty she needs to see; she needs to see the way other people treat and communicate with each other when there is conflict.

I couldn't believe it when she said " I can't hang up on him when we fight anymore." Why would David put up with that level of immaturity? Is that really what Jesus would do? Do her parents know she can't even handle conflict over the phone? 

Your Majesty, Queen Pepper Mostly of Romania,  Prince Harry and I want to invite you to our wedding next May. 

• Love 7

Libby's sisters drove me CRAAZZZZZYYYYYYYYY.  I really hope they were told to amp it up for the cameras otherwise they are truly awful.

It's also driving me nuts that they keep saying how tiny Claremont is. IT'S NOT THAT SMALL.  I know small town. I grew up in a small town.  A population of about 2500. We had a pizza hut, a diner-ish place (that I worked at and loved), 1-2 gas stations, a Dairy Queen and a grocery store (and some bars). And we even had a stop light!  (there's more now) Claremont sits at around 13000.  That's comparable to the next town over from where I lived. They likely have a fairly good selection of locally owned restaurants, a handful of locally owned stores - for a town to have a population like that, there must be something there. And then 15 min from that was the larger town (about 25000) which had the mall and all the other big box stores (target, walmart, kmart, etc...). 

Again, I think they're playing that up for the drama of the show.. but it's driving me crazy.

• Love 5

It just dawned on me that Applegate might have been deliberately staged as a kind of "Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden/Claremont" scenario. EVE-lyn gave him an apple and once he tried it, she expected his "eyes to be opened" like Adam's in Genesis. Plus we even got to hear the Wisdom of Solomon! 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

David and Evelyn are very, very bad at expressing themselves. Evelyn is laying it on so thick I can almost understand David pushing back some. The breakfast place is the Best Breakfast Place Ever. The apples are the Most Delicious Ambrosia of the Gods. The view is the Most Beautiful, Awe-Inspiring Panorama that Ever Delighted the Eyes of a Human. Jesus, girl, dial it back. It must be exhausting to be around her. "We're going down Main Street, Claremont. The most Delightful Thoroughfare of Any Town in the United States". "We're going to Target in Claremont Mall. Its the Most Unique and Original Assortment of Stores Ever Assembled in One Place". "My mom is cooking an egg. Isn't it the Freshest, Most Delicious Egg Ever Cooked?" Don't mistake me, David is acting like a sulky 7 year old. But against the constant onslaught of the Wonderful Specialness of Claremont, I can almost see why.

Maybe she could just sometimes say "I love this breakfast place--it's been my favorite since I was a kid. I hope you like it too". Or "A view like this is special to me. There are higher mountains but this is my home. Maybe you'll come to love it too. I'd like that."

If Libby is a driven, ambitious, Type A go-getter, I am the Queen of Romania.

Wedding night: "Now, wasn't that Claremont pussy the very best you've ever had?"

"Actually, yes it was. Your win this round."

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

I'm actually writing a paper right now on Abolition  in the Caribbean and Latin America. I study Atlantic History which covers the slave trade A LOT.

BA major in History, minor in International Studies. :)

2 hours ago, Deafening Roar said:

if a Mexican restaurant doesn't serve Horchata and Tortas, it's not a true Mexican restaurant.

And see, this is where regionalism comes in because tortas ain't I think in my Mexican family or much served in any Mexican restaurants in my area.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, politichick said:

How about probably the top reasons those states have low black populations is because it's cold as fuck, rural as hell and lacking the job opportunities one would find elsewhere.

Maybe, but those reasons have no impact on the existence of slaves or free blacks in colonial times, nor does it prove or disprove racism based on the misconception that New England had few slaves. There could be tons of reasons that an area does or does not attract a demographic - but his premise is that a specific demographic didn't exist in an area in sufficient numbers to perpetuate a population. That premise cannot be proven by historical facts.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Forum member said:

Wedding night: "Now, wasn't that Claremont pussy the very best you've ever had?"

"Actually, yes it was. Your win this round."

Two virgins who communicate poorly? Wedding night is gonna suck... and not in the good way.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

OK, I'd love to discuss it more fully, but it's off topic, so I'll resist and only make one point.  Fewer slaves doesn't automatically mean less racism.  That's like saying the guy who only owned two human beings was less racist than the guy who owned 100 human beings.  

I strongly believe that if you ask anyone moving to Claremont, regardless of race, creed, country of origin, etc... , why they are moving there it will be because of a specific reason, like relatives or a job.  A small town in NH is just not going to have a lot to offer the average person (of any color) looking to settle somewhere, if they don't already have some connection to the place.

But this is all us wildly speculating on things unsaid and making better arguments than the participants.  

All we've actually heard is, it's cold, I like to travel, I have friends in Virginia.  

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

OK, I'd love to discuss it more fully, but it's off topic, so I'll resist and only make one point.  Fewer slaves doesn't automatically mean less racism.  That's like saying the guy who only owned two human beings was less racist than the guy who owned 100 human beings.  

I strongly believe that if you ask anyone moving to Claremont, regardless of race, creed, country of origin, etc... , why they are moving there it will be because of a specific reason, like relatives or a job.  A small town in NH is just not going to have a lot to offer the average person (of any color) looking to settle somewhere, if they don't already have some connection to the place.

But this is all us wildly speculating on things unsaid and making better arguments than the participants.  

All we've actually heard is, it's cold, I like to travel, I have friends in Virginia.  

Wish there was a "super love this" button.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

but, if it was one farm with slaves out of 1000 farms in an area versus 900 farms with slaves out of 1000 farms, that would make an area less racist.   The amount of slaves doesn't give enough information, but the amount of slave holders does.  And I would imagine (no history degree) that NH had less slave owners than SC.  

Edited by Granny58
trying to clarify my thoughts
  • Love 3

I finally got around to watching the episode, (in our home TWD reigns supreme and dominates the Sunday night 8:00 time slot. Not to mention that cutie Josh McDermitt rocks my world, and Khary Payton's smile is the fire that lights my soul!) and made a few observations.

After watching that blond behemoth Nicole manhandling Azan, it really reminded me of everyone's favorite sea mammal, Karl of Teen mom 2. She had a habit of putting her hands on Javi and blaming him for her violent reaction. 

Drunken David is just so sleazy looking. Watching that doughy doofus make a complete ass of himself would've been funny if it wasn't so damn pathetic. Poor Annie was clearly embarrassed. 

As for Josh, I think he is another sleazeball, but I can't hate on him too much for the gauges. My husband decided in his mid 20's to do that to himself. The difference is, unlike Josh my husband has an actual career. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, brillia79 said:

So... your words:

"Also, do you really think David is that concerned about about the attempted lynching?  I doubt it.  He is, after all, European and racially white. "

What was twisted?

David is an ass. Yeah. I can't deny that. Nor have I tried to. I also think he thought he'd be able to control a young bride more easily, which creeps me out.

Diversity is not an issue for David... well, he went out of his way to comment on how the Mexican restaurant wasn't owned by a Mexican or Spanish speakers (whether or not it's true, he thinks it is). Diversity appears to matter to him in some form.

I'm well aware that diversity doesn't just mean black people live there. Now show me where Claremont has any other measured forms of diversity: racial, religious, ethnicity, etc. 

Again, someone mentioned that it didn't matter if Claremont was diverse because armed guards weren't keeping people out. I brought up a case of recent racialized violence, because a noose is just as good as an armed guard for conveying who is welcome and who is not. Some people seem bothered I brought it up. It turned into a massive back and forth. And yet, you singled my post out for being off topic.

So there's that.

Chill.  I didn't single you out. Sorry you felt that way. I only post here to make fun of the people on this idiotic show. For me, it's all fun and a new way to enjoy tv by sharing observations with others. I have no interest in political or social commentary on this forum and did not intend to spark that.  My comments are meant to poke fun at the 90 dayers, not disparage any racial group or make any comment about how white people think.  I just found it kind of odd that people thought David was upset about racial diversity and a lynching given that he is Spanish.   So, when I say my words were twisted or taken out of context, that's what I meant. For me, the show and this forum is just pure fun and a joke, nothing more. 

I don't know anything about Claremont and I've never been to New England.  I hope to visit someday.  Are they racist?  Don't know, and for purposes of the this forum, don't care.  I will say this, however.  I've always considered New England to generally be very liberal in political thinking.  I'm aware generally of the demographic makeup, but I'm learning for the first time on this forum that people think this liberal enclave is actually quite racist. That is news to me. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Bridget said:

She can teach "singing" in orphanages,

No, please no !

Some of you may remember the Andy Griffith episode where Barney joins the choir and gets a solo.  They quickly realize he cannot sing at all.

When it comes time for the performance they turn off his microphone and someone else sings off stage for him. Of course in the show its hilarious and Barney thinks he is actually singing with this amazing strong voice.

In Evelyn's case, its not funny and there would be no power anywhere near her and also a large roll of duct tape too.  That girl cannot sing at all. Whatever that noise is coming from her, its painful to hear.   Its like a baritone toad with severe indigestion.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

but, if it was one farm with slaves out of 1000 farms in an area versus 900 farms with slaves out of 1000 farms, that would make an area less racist.   The amount of slaves doesn't give enough information, but the amount of slave holders does.  And I would imagine (no history degree) that NH had less slave owners than SC.  

That says nothing about the feelings of the farmers about black people.  Which would be where racism comes in.  Just that they spent their money elsewhere, instead of buying humans.  That's like saying the farmer who plants soybeans, instead of corn, hates soybeans, and feels they are lesser produce and must be raised to serve the farmer.  :)

Look, racism has, and still does, exist everywhere to various degrees.  It's totally irrelevant to the show since David Spain hasn't expressed concerns over racism.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

No, please no !

Some of you may remember the Andy Griffith episode where Barney joins the choir and gets a solo.  They quickly realize he cannot sing at all.

When it comes time for the performance they turn off his microphone and someone else sings off stage for him. Of course in the show its hilarious and Barney thinks he is actually singing with this amazing strong voice.

In Evelyn's case, its not funny and there would be no power anywhere near her and also a large roll of duct tape too.  That girl cannot sing at all. Whatever that noise is coming from her, its painful to hear.   Its like a baritone toad with severe indigestion.

I've only seen ONE episode of that show. I couldn't find the remote and couldn't change the channel, so I left it on in the background, but it was THAT episode that was airing. What are the chances?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Is Los Dos Molinos (sp?) still considered one of the better places? 

IMO, Los Dos Molinos has gone downhill the last few years. They expanded locations and the quality has suffered. I ate at the Ahwatukee location, the old one on Chandler, earlier this year and it was really dirty and the food was greasy. 

15 minutes ago, booboopbedoo said:

Best 10 seconds she ever had!

Instead of a cigarette afterwards they will each eat an apple. They can't share one because they do not get along at all.

David won't be able to say sex with so and so was so much better will he?   He might say it would of been better if they were in Virgin-ia.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Bridget said:

I've only seen ONE episode of that show. I couldn't find the remote and couldn't change the channel, so I left it on in the background, but it was THAT episode that was airing. What are the chances?

Crocodile Dundee time...

Sue Charlton: [helping Mick get settled in to his NYC apartment] There's a TV over there if you get bored.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: Oh, yeah - - I remember television from way back. I saw it at a buddy's house one time.

Michael J. "Crocodile" Dundee: [turns on the set and sees an "oldies re-run" of an "I Love Lucy" show pop up on the screen] Yup - - that's what I saw that time.

• Love 1

I guess nobody is racist now as nobody currently has slaves in the USA.   

I guess that also means that poor areas where people couldn't afford slaves would be less racist than richer areas where people could afford a lot of slaves.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Desert Rat said:

I think she'll enjoy the apple more than dress with a virgin.  Lasts longer and more satisfying. 

Her new claim to fame is that she is Claremountable now. More famous than the breakfast place.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

Who needs education or talent when you have God on your side? He will provide for and protect that special little snowflake that is Evelyn. 

I truly believe that is her plan for life. She and her whole family seem to think that good things will just fall into her charmed lap. 

Ha! Brilliant reference. And this may just be the reason that Evelyn is just so certain that God will provide...and why she must not leave Claremont ever, ever, ever. ;-) 

College will expose her to other ideas. She will see a different world, experience things that life at home does not provide. She may get some independent, critical thought.

Good things will happen to her. But she will also experience not so good things. For every test, there is a reward when you pass it. God is not an ATM.

• Love 4

So... people are going to go into their own dismissive critical race theory spiel and in the same breath, tell others to stay on topic?

Talk about moving the goalposts. 

But back to the show...

David wants diversity - which he won't get in Claremont though he may find it elsewhere in New Hampshire - someone mentioned Dartmouth. Evelyn thinks everything anyone could want in life is in Claremont and only Claremont. They didnt know enough about one another before starting the K1 process and are both immature... even though David is closer to 30 than 20. Evelyn's parents are pretty lousy at their jobs because they were onboard with this grown ass man chatting up their underage teen daughter until he said Claremont sucks... which it does. They care more about the honor of their town than protecting their kid from a creeper who has come into their home with grand plans to move Evelyn several hours away, thus isolating her. She's not ready for this. David is an ass because everyone knows you throw the young fish back into the sea so they can finish growing. 

David would be Andrei... if Evelyn was a pushover like Elizabeth. But she's not, and he can barely conceal his resentment because of it. Being controlling works for Andrei, which is why he's smirking all the time.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I was really annoyed at David pissing all over All Things Claremont. I get that once you’ve seen the Alps or the Rockies or the Andes that the mountains of New Hampshire might be unimpressive, but appreciate the beauty and live in the moment, FFS! Going to an apple orchard in the foothills  of the mountains of New Hampshire would have been my idea of a nice way to spend the day. And yes, I’ve been to the Alps and the Rockies, but I would live in the moment and just enjoy it for what it is.  Beauty is everywhere you look. 

I totally agree and that's what I have been saying as well. Evelyn's a bitch but David was being a dick. 

• Love 9

Did anyone get the impression that hot mess Nicole was actually trying to control herself as she was accosting Azan?

I know how weird that sounds, but think about it.  She kept grunting, and "hmm...ing" before she spoke, like she was actually trying to choose her words carefully, even though they were still coming out wrong and she sounding like she was off her hinges.

And when she was trying to stop him from going inside, it was almost as if it were happening in slow motion. Her movements were very deliberate. She was trying to stop him, and it was, for lack of a better word, "controlled" -- as if in her head she thought what she was doing was okay. As if she actually didn't realize she was manhandling the poor guy.

I'm not saying this makes her any better.  Far from it!

It's still abuse, and it still makes me shudder for May!

It's just a new kind of weird.

• Love 5
On 11/27/2017 at 9:55 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

Do most alcoholics who dry out get the DTs?  I always thought it was mainly severe alcoholics who got them.  At any rate, if Annie is willing to stick to her guns and not marry him if he drinks before the wedding, I think the challenge was a very, good strategy.  If he can simply refrain from drinking for 3 months, he probably is not really an alcoholic.  If he fails the test, maybe he will get help with his problem, and Annie can decide if she still wants to marry him while he tries to recover (Don't do it, Annie!).  If he keeps drinking and denies he has a problem, she needs to borrow from Nikki and Chris or tell Mom and Dad to mortgage the water buffaloes and get get on the next flight home to Thailand.  

What I am saying here is only my opinion & experience:

Mr. Tostandon is a recovering alcoholic. He's been sober for 32 years. When we got married, I asked him to please not drink on our wedding day till after the vows were said. That I would even need to ask that should have been a red flag for me but I was young, 22, he was 24.  3 years later, he went into a 31 day treatment program.  Today, 32 years later, he is still sober & very involved in a 12 step program, not because he craves alcohol but to help others...and himself. We know one too many who have thought they were "cured" & started drinking. 

As far as a David Poor goes, the only one who can say he is an alcoholic is David Poor himself. Anna, Enabler Friend, Enabler Friend's wife & brother can say his drinking bothers them. What we learned was, it's not what you drink, when you drink or how often you drink, it's how your personality changes when you do drink, that makes it problem drinking. 

From my experience, David Poor is not going to go 90 days without having a drink. Mr Tostandon use to find other ways to get alcohol, develop a cold & guzzle Nite-Qyl..brush your teeth & drink the mouthwash. He will then find some reason to get angry at Anna and say he has to drink to deal with it. 

The fact that Anna had given him ultimatums & make deals with him is a huge red flag and David Poor will resent her for this. If she goes thru with the marriage, her threats will become empty threats, just as his promises will be.

• Love 16