Type keyword(s) to search

Season 5 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear a thing about how these imported husbands (specifically Andrrrei from Moldavia / Dublin and David from Spain) are going to do for, like, work in the U.S. when they are able to work - and whether Luis will be bartending when he gets a work permit?   Both Andrrei and David are in their late 20s and must have been doing some darn thing these several years since they grew up  --  and can they do it here?   I would've thought Elizabeth's father would have asked about it during that uncomfortable family dinner, but I didn't hear it.   Evelyn's father seems blissfully unconcerned,

The expression once was "Can you support my daughter in the manner to which she has become accustomed?" --  but that's definitely not a thing any more.  Well, luckily Evelyn has that career in music, so that's good.  (Snicker.)

I have my doubts the show will ever get into that whole question, but I'll keep wondering.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, kacesq said:

Yeah it was pretty clear he was not all that excited at the prospect of coming to the US to be with Nicole. And gee, didn't she look so happy to spend time with her daughter once Azan said they couldn't stay in the same room?

Evelyn and her family are so smug.

Who proposed to who in the Nicole/Azan relationship?

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who proposed to who in the Nicole/Azan relationship?

mea culpa, there was a proposal

2 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

Elizabeth is a desperate and basic idiot. How many times did she say submissive? I feel sorry for her friends who will have to pick up the pieces and listen to her whine when she tires of being a submissive and subservient woman. She's making a conscious desicion and effort to import a man who feels that men need to supervise grown women and expects a woman to be "the way a woman was in the 1900s." (whatever that means). I think Elizabeth wants and needs to be someone's little girl, and I rolled my eyes when she said that "every woman that finds their man will be submissive." No, you dumb bitch, not every woman. 

I'm reserving my judgement on how controlling Andrei actually is.  Obviously the conversation was edited, but during their facetime I only heard him say hrm when she said she was wearing a dress and ask once what time she'd be back.  You'd think if he was as controlling as she said he was when talking about the conversation, they wouldn't have edited it out, that would be good tv.  I feel like she got a little too inspired reading (or probably watching) 50 shades.

Edited by Kangatush
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Desert Rat said:

My husband's reaction when he saw the AZ guy, "what's his last name.  I'm want to look up his criminal record." You just know he has a record. Could that be why the kids won't see him?

Tee hee, ever see the movie Cable Guy?  Maybe it was based off this home theater technician.  And have they mentioned Aika's age yet?  She actually looks close in age to him.  She also looks like a well made up ladyboy in some shots, but I digress...

• Love 15

Josh is at least the second guy in the series to cite the low rate of divorce in the Philippines as a reason to pursue a relationship with a Filipina..Dude has been married twice.  Is this because they assume that this aspect of Filipino culture will prevent these women from leaving them or something?  I find it icky.  Obviously no one wants to think about divorce when they're in love and getting married, but things can go wrong and it seems like these guys are looking for someone that is less likely to run away from them.  Just seems odd considering he's been married 2x.

Edited by Splithair
  • Love 15
14 minutes ago, Kangatush said:

Nobody has proposed to anyone yet.  Making the "Daddy" crap even worse.  Azan looked terrified at the thought of someone being dumb enough to sponsor him.  :D

That's not accurate. Azan proposed when they were on the desert trip in episode 6 or 7 from last season. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

Nevertheless, making the child call Azan "daddy" when they only just met is highly inappropriate and potentially very damaging. Nicole needs to get her butt home and learn how to parent her child before  she brings a man into their lives. 

Wasn't commenting on the daddy part, simply pointing out that Azan did in fact propose and they have discussed getting sponsors so I don't think he was surprised.

In the brief scene at the end I was actually not horrified with Nicole's advice to Azan about May suggesting that just because May demands things you don't have to give in and tell him that he shouldn't be yanking her arm like he was doing. An average teenage babysitter knows those things but I was surprised Nicole did. May was also much calmer and when she was wearing her backpack tether, so it could be something she feels safe in, particularly in a place that has so much going on so Azan should have sucker it up even if some people were staring at him.

• Love 11

I do not think it is possible for Azan to be more grossed out by Nicole?  

Her squinty eyes and simpering grin (which can so quickly dissolve into a rage-filled pout) make me want to punch things.

*she throws up her hands* "I'm not going anywhere."  Catch that pout to HER TWO YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER!?  God, I hate her- mostly because she's putting her screaming vagina in front of Daughter Nicole's well-being.

• Love 18

Why does Josh keep saying that "Aika can have any body and I'm so lucky she picked me?"

Aika is surrounded by impoverished Filipino guys who can't improve her life substantially.

Her online suitors on Filipino Cupid and whatnot are mostly much older, socially inept, physically unattractive dudes.  Aika is 36 and most of the Filipinas on these websites are in their early 20s.

She accepted his marriage proposal after knowing him five days because she's desperate. 

The question isn't why would she marry him, the question is why isn't Josh marrying an attractive 23 year-old Filipina from one of these websites, because he totally could.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, kacesq said:

Yeah it was pretty clear he was not all that excited at the prospect of coming to the US to be with Nicole. And gee, didn't she look so happy to spend time with her daughter once Azan said they couldn't stay in the same room?

I'm not sure about Azan.  I cannot read him.  Everything he says and does makes absolute sense, and he is part of a culture where people do not show their emotions in public, or probably on camera.  I get a shyness vibe from him.  I'd also like to know how Nicole managed to trash her hotel room so badly in one noght, and why May is still in diapers.  The preview shows Azan tellnig Nicole "you are just lazy."  Can't argue with that.  

9 hours ago, kacesq said:

Why can't Molly drive her own ass to the airport?

Molly doesn't seem to drive, for some reason.  She could have called a cab.  Or had pretty much anyone but her poor daughter drive here.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

Why can't Evelyn drive herself to the airport either?

Why is Evelyn such a shit driver, and why does her father think it's hilarious?  Just how high on Jesus is this family?  

8 hours ago, Meowwww said:

The ethereal smile she had while driving is like the cat who had the cream AND the mouse. 

And I could have done without the long explanation of why she has had neither.  Virginity is a non-subject.  

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Maybe the state has graduated drivers' licenses and you get yours in steps - you can do A and B, but not C.

When I grew up, the test of being ready for marriage was slicing a straight slice of bread.  I still struggle.

Why does this David dude at 27 want an 18 year old girl?

I believe Evelyn mentioned that she wasn't comfortable driving in big cities.  That is pretty common for young drivers from smaller towns.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

My husband's reaction when he saw the AZ guy, "what's his last name.  I'm want to look up his criminal record." You just know he has a record. Could that be why the kids won't see him?

I was struck when he said he doesn't do second chances.  Wow.  Good luck with anybody in life.  Life is messy and doesn't go according to script.  I'm not saying lay down and take all sorts of crap, but some understanding and forgiveness is absolutely necessary.  I don't like to judge people on their appearance but, frankly, I think that hardness shows on his face.  

6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Aika might be more transparent than Anifsa, she brings up the K-1 and even reminds him that he is her provider.

it is so obviously a "romance scam."  

• Love 13
8 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

. I have a hard time believing that Moldova is an outlier in terms of women's rights. 

Besides, Moldboy is living in Ireland now.  This idea that every other country is so backward is getting on my nerves. Didn't suspiciously-young-daddyEvelyn say Spain was somehow less than their little slice of Fundie hell?  

5 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I believe Evelyn mentioned that she wasn't comfortable driving in big cities.  That is pretty common for young drivers from smaller towns.

That is entirely plausible.  In which case she needs to improve her driving skills and not put everyone else's lives in jeopardy, especially not when she's crazy high on the idea of futuredick.  

Edited by Sprockets
typo
  • Love 22
8 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

I don't like to judge people on their appearance but, frankly, I think that hardness shows on his face

He has Bad News written all over him.  And so does his certainly-a-whore fiance.  He has admitted he has made a lot of mistakes in life.  This is just one more.  

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Splithair said:

Josh is at least the second guy in the series to cite the low rate of divorce in the Philippines as a reason to pursue a relationship with a Filipina..Dude has been married twice.  Is this because they assume that this aspect of Filipino culture will prevent these women from leaving them or something?  I find it icky.  Obviously no one wants to think about divorce when they're in love and getting married, but things can go wrong and it seems like these guys are looking for someone that is less likely to run away from them.  Just seems odd considering he's been married 2x.

The divorce rate in the Philippines is low because divorce is illegal. It's zero. You can get an annulment but it is difficult and very expensive. That's what the celebrities do over there. If these couples ever have a wedding there after marrying here on the K1, then they are always married there. A divorce here changes nothing there.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Looked like some kind of Jack LaLanne body trimmer thing that she had found in the attic made into a dress?

Fundies are resourceful with their sewing machines.

I would really appreciate if people would stop using the slur "fundies" to describe Fundamentalist Christians and from making broad generalizations about them.  IMO, it is just as bigoted and offensive as people using religious or racial slurs to describe Azan, Luis, Aika, etc.   

• Love 14

Evelyn had better be one great piece of ass for David to give up what looks like a pretty exciting life in Spain with friends, a job and living in an bustling city for that sad little apartment with the sorry twin bed in a town where the airport is 3 hours away.  He's trapped!   Josh (is that Arizona guy's name) said it all when he said he felt like the teenager that was dating the popular cheerleader. He's blinded by her looks and bitchiness. Does she know that he is NOT going to be able to treat her to the life she wants. Don't these scammers vette their victims? A credit check at least. Libby and her submissiveness do not interest me at all.  Molly had better watch out - her young daughter is very attractive and not much older than Luis. Nicole, if you thought dragging your 2 year old to meet Azan was going to seal the deal, you were seriously wrong. Poor jet lagged little May, in a foreign country with no one except her crazy mother and her "daddy" to comfort her it's no wonder she's acting up. In the best of circumstances a 2 year old isn't too much fun to be with, but if you aren't their family who love them, they are like demons! Azan must be rethinking being a parent.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I would really appreciate if people would stop using the slur "fundies" to describe Fundamentalist Christians and from making broad generalizations about them.  IMO, it is just as bigoted and offensive as people using religious or racial slurs to describe Azan, Luis, Aika, etc.   

I get the broad generalizations not being cool but am unclear as to why "fundie" is offensive. Many people refer to thrmselves as "fundamentalists"(I live in an area where I, not being one, am a minority) and it just seems like an abbreviation.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I get the broad generalizations not being cool but am unclear as to why "fundie" is offensive. Many people refer to thrmselves as "fundamentalists"(I live in an area where I, not being one, am a minority) and it just seems like an abbreviation.

If you look it up, "fundy" is listed as a pejorative, derogatory term for Christian Fundamentalists.  Calling them Fundamentalists is fine, but calling them "funides"is  like calling Azan a "muzzy".  

Fundamentalist is actually a rather broad and misunderstood term.  The term became popular in the late 19th and early 20th centuries and simply describes Christians who hold strongly to certain Fundamentals of the Faith (e.g., the virgin birth, inerrancy of the Bible, a literal interpretation of the Bible (except where it is obviously figurative), the substitutionary atonement of Christ, the bodily ressurection of Christ, etc.).  It was a response to Liberal theology in some churches denying some or all of these beliefs.  

As someone said in another thread, there are many "flavors" and while all Fundamentalists have certain beliefs in common, their traditions, practices and especially their quirks vary greatly from group to group and individual to individual.  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Josh fits right in in Mesa, AZ.  Not everyone, but the majority in Mesa are Mormon or Josh types. 

I live in Mesa.  I am in the minority!!  LOL.  It is interesting to see someone from our city on the show.  Every time he's hanging out with someone, I look to see if it's someone I know.  Probably not - methinks we don't run in the same circles.

2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

And if they were going to Logan, I don't blame her for not wanting to drive.  We spent a couple of days in Boston; my sharpest memory is that traffic is a nightmare, and red lights are considered only a suggestion.

• Love 6

I keep thinking about May's little toddler heart and brain, all so tired and overwhelmed, and waaay off her nap schedule! If there's one thing those little guys need, it's consistency, consistency, and more consistency! I'm sure she's also missing her grandmother like crazy even though she may not verbalize it! Travel is not easy for small children, but Azan and Nicole seem more concerned with keeping her in line as opposed to what she's thinking and feeling.

Also, her entire diet is about to change dramatically! No more prepackaged American munchies for awhile. That's difficult for a tot!

If they were more concerned with May's emotions, her behavior might improve, but even then they can't expect a night and day change! May is probably used to acting "bratty." Nicole's mom raises 'em that way! It's not fair to expect her to suddenly act like a well-behaved, Moroccan child. If they try to do that, they can expect a burst of even worse behavior!

They will be more concerned with how she acts than how she actually feels inside. So sad!

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Molly, your Olivia is done with you, you have forever changed the dynamics of your relationship, this guy is not the right one no matter how you slice it, Molly is ignoring that ripple effect on her kids, the financial strain alone will effect her kids for college, the green card is not cheap and Molly will be on the hook for the next 10 years.  That said, Molly looked like an idiot in the airport with all the giggling and hugging etc...she really does not care how embarrassed her daughter was. 

Agree - even after one viewing of Molly and her ridiculous braying, we think Luis could murder Molly and be acquitted due to justifiable homicide.  

• Love 9

Elizabeth, if you want a regressed neanderthal, you need look no further than your local trailer park. You can find a guy who will let you cook and clean for him and bring him beer. If you're lucky, he won't even let you vote because he won't be voting, either.

And no, not everyone who lives in trailers is regressed!

Edited by CoachWristletJen
Qualifying my generalization
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, ava111 said:

"I won't move 10 hours away from my family" says Evelyn sitting next to her fiancee who just moved 1000 miles  and 10+ hours on the plane away from his family. FFS  what an entitled, selfish and insensitive millennial. She is getting uglier every time she is on screen.

When you put it that way, I can see your point.    But, when I watched it, I had the opposite reaction.  I thought he was being selfish.  She is only 18 and very close to her family.  Plus there is her "music career" to think about. LOL.

I was thinking that it is probably a good thing that Evelyn has a horrible singing voice.  As ambitious and naive and her and her family seem to be, I think if she could sing, she might have ended up beings cast on a Disney Channel or Nickelodeon show and would probably be in her second stint in rehab by now.  

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

If they were more concerned with May's emotions, her behavior might improve

If Nicole were at all concerned with May's welfare on any level, she wouldn't have taken her there.  

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, CoachWristletJen said:

Elizabeth, if you want a regressed neanderthal, you need look no further than your local trailer park. You can find a guy who will let you cook and clean for him and bring him beer. If you're lucky, he won't even let you vote because he won't be voting, either.

And no, not everyone who lives in trailers is regressed!

Thanks for the edit.  I live in a trailer.  

• Love 5
Just now, CoachWristletJen said:

Sorry about that.

There are some really nice trailers with jacuzzi tubs and big decks and marble countertops. Really gorgeous!

No jacuzzi (two of them at the clubhouse), but we have a huge "Arizona room" and granite countertops.  We just moved in, but we think it's pretty nice!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

When you put it that way, I can see your point.    But, when I watched it, I had the opposite reaction.  I thought he was being selfish.  She is only 18 and very close to her family.  Plus there is her "music career" to think about. LOL.

The problem is that when you get married, you have to be ready to make compromises, particularly if you marry someone from a very different background or culture. Evelyn is hell bent on getting married, so be better get ready to be hell bent on some compromise. I don't think it is selfish of David to mention he might want to move somewhere else. He didn't say he wants to do it tomorrow. Maybe it is all part of a five-year plan. This would be reasonable. 

Is it just me or did I catch a whiff of condescension when Father Evelyn said that he wondered how it would be for David in New England since Spanish culture is so different. What drives me crazy about all these American spouses is that they expect the spouse to compromise on EVERYTHING. When my husband moved here from Germany, I did everything I could to ease his transition and incorporate elements of his culture into our family habits and traditions. . I even pushed him to go home for a month before he started his new job. He had been here for six months and I was so happy he could go home and reconnect with his family before the job started. It surprised me too when Father Evelyn asked David if he was ok with not being able to go home for a long time. Dude, are they planning on holding him hostage? Planes go back and forth every day. Once he has his green card, he can travel. It's like he is joining a cult...the cult of Evelyn and her overbearing family. 

• Love 22
17 minutes ago, Baltimore Betty said:

Arizona Josh...is he sleeping on a friends couch?  How will he provide for his green card woman?  What is with these guys, seems like a few of them have been married twice already...is there a syndrome name attached to this searching for women abroad?  I am betting these men did not get the mental health help they so desperately needed in between failed marriages.  

Nicole keeps saying Marco instead of Morocco, ugh.  The constant referring Azan as Daddy is nauseating and unrealistic.  I think it's funny that Nicole was so understanding this time around when Azan was reminding her why they can't do the nasty in the hotel or dry hump in public. What didn't she get the first time, the rules have not changed.  

Show of hands, how many of us thought his persona in public would be they typical Muslim machismo reaction when they were butting heads about how to deal with the kid?  Nicole better think twice about her wanting to marry Azan, we just had a peek in to her future.

What was Evelyn wearing when she picked up David at the airport, was it a beach cover up over a bathing suit?  I am unsure why they cannot resist their temptation with each other...they truly may be ok with waiting or is it the hype of what they have been told all their lives that a hand shake leads to sex, dinner alone leads to sex etc...what about posting bikini pics on on Instagram?  What does that lead to?

I would have been able to resist once I saw the elastic ankle band on David's jeans.

Molly, your Olivia is done with you, you have forever changed the dynamics of your relationship, this guy is not the right one no matter how you slice it, Molly is ignoring that ripple effect on her kids, the financial strain alone will effect her kids for college, the green card is not cheap and Molly will be on the hook for the next 10 years.  That said, Molly looked like an idiot in the airport with all the giggling and hugging etc...she really does not care how embarrassed her daughter was. 

Not sure if AZ Josh is sleeping on the couch or has roommates, as he put it.  If he has been saving up the cash he saves by sharing a place, he might be fine for the visa,  But, I am not sure he can provide for Aika in the manner she is expecting.

I hate Nicole having May call Azan, "Daddy".  As for Azan's reaction, I think it was very embarrassing for him to have loud arguments in public.  It is probably a cultural thing, but it is something I would like to see return to American culture.   

I think the precautions that Evelyn and David are taking are reasonable ones.  While handshakes and dinner alone are unlikely to lead to sex, spending time alone in a bedroom with someone you are very attracted to certainly can.  It seems like realistic thinking, as opposed to thinking, "We can make out and do everything but, and God will stop us before we go too far."

I'm hoping Luis will show his true colors quickly and Molly will go to Olivia for emotional support, which will make their mother-daughter relationship stronger.    It might happen as I am pretty sure Luis started to say he sad to leave his "wife or woman in the DR" (there was a definite "w" sound) before catching himself and saying, "family".   

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

Is it just me or did I catch a whiff of condescension when Father Evelyn said that he wondered how it would be for David in New England since Spanish culture is so different.

It is not just you.  I meantioned it above.  Spain is not a third world country, and Father Evelyn only displays his idiocy with that remark.  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Sprockets said:

None of them have basements, of course.  Nothing is perfect.  

I don't have a basement where I live either and it makes me nervous because we're in tornado country.

Seriously, I feel bad about the trailer comment. 

I get carried away sometimes... ironically, it's a people pleasing thing.

As for fundamentalism, it can do weird things to people... sometimes. Not everybody, but some sects get caught up with restrictions as we have seen with for instance, the Duggars.

Edited by CoachWristletJen
changed 'fundamentalists' to 'fundamentalism'
  • Love 2