Type keyword(s) to search

LA To Vegas - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

On 23/3/2018 at 1:49 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Heartbroken Captain Dave was hilarious.  Especially him tearing "Ronnie's" picture in slo-mo.  Dylan McDermott is the gift that keeps on giving.

The rate at which he tore that picture was truly perfect. Impeccable comedic timing.  Dylan McDermott really is a gift.

This show never fails.

• Love 7
On 3/24/2018 at 5:21 PM, riprock said:

The title and the premise limit my ability to get my coworkers to try this show. "LA to Vegas" makes it sound like the show entirely happens on the plane. I have trouble explaining to others that it's about the people who travel between LA and Vegas. The characters mostly transcend their biographies too. They almost never mention that Colin's visiting his son, or whatever Artem is traveling for.

Tell them that it is a workplace comedy and the office just happens to be a plane, with the show being driven by the regular characters interacting with each other and wacky passengers.  It would be like a medical sitcom where the hospital staff interact with each other and wacky patients. 

• Love 2

I enjoyed this one. Liked Nicole's mom and liked her with Captain Dave.  Liked seeing Nicole coming from a relatively normal background and it was fun seeing her dressed down / conservative. Ronnie and Colin... just not sure I see them as a couple. I liked that line about how Ronnie is just someone who cares a lot about her friends. Doesn't seem like she necessarily is into Colin, she just cares about him as a friend. 

• Love 3

I had a hard time paying attention to this one. I don't think they've really established some of these characters well enough at this point. Bernard's over the top behavior, for example, didn't really feel earned this early in the show's history. I'm already tired of the whole "will they or won't they" with Colin and Ronnie. The only part that felt genuine was the way Captain Dave was acting, and aside from Bernard he's the most absurd character on the show, ironically. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3

This episode was a miss for me. I've come to appreciate Bernard and his snarky comments, but only in small doses, so the focus on him here was too much for me. Whose house was the party in anyway? Bernard's? Does that mean he has an apartment in LA and a house in Vegas?

I also didn't care for the fact that the ensemble was as fragmented as it was. And while I like Zachary Knighton, I don't like him here. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The only part that felt genuine was the way Captain Ron was acting, and aside from Bernard he's the most absurd character on the show, ironically. 

Captain Ron? HA, I think you are thinking of a movie with Kurt Russell. It is Captain Dave. <g>

Yeh not feeling it with Zachary Knighton... there is no chemistry with Ronnie or anyone else... it is like he is just "there".

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Whose house was the party in anyway? Bernard's? Does that mean he has an apartment in LA and a house in Vegas?

I assumed it was an event space he rented for the party.

• Love 4

The whole "pretending to be a couple" thing has been done to death, but leave it to Captain Dave and Nichole to actually make that still be funny.  Also knew that it was going to end with Dan actually being attracted to her mother, but I still enjoyed that part as well.

Definitely not a fan of the love triangle though.  Bryan is such a bore, and both Ronnie and Colin seem to take turns every other scene over who becomes more annoying because of it.

I guess it would have been too much to ask Artem to dress as the devil, since Peter Stormare played Satan in the 2005 Constantine film.

Ronnie eating the cupcake from the trash and her excuses ("There wasn't any trash in it!  It was a brand new bag!"), means that in another universe, she and Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Jake Peralta would be soulmates!

• Love 3

The "Last Supper" ending has been done too, but it's surreal fun.

In other contexts, "Just to be clear, I'm not gay" might have been homophobic, but instead it was just perfectly self-absorbed.

Ronnie eating the cupcake from the trash and her excuses ("There wasn't any trash in it!  It was a brand new bag!"), means that in another universe, she and Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Jake Peralta would be soulmates!

I would watch the heck out of that show!  (Though Amy/Jake is also brilliant.)   I think Ronnie and Colin are brilliant individually, but I want to see them go a different direction than the love triangle.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I guess it would have been too much to ask Artem to dress as the devil, since Peter Stormare played Satan in the 2005 Constantine film.

1 hour ago, marketdoctor said:

I would watch the heck out of that show!  (Though Amy/Jake is also brilliant.)   I think Ronnie and Colin are brilliant individually, but I want to see them go a different direction than the love triangle.

Yes to the Peter Stormare in Constantine reference!

And why must it be another universe? They're both Fox shows....

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
On 3/29/2018 at 1:42 AM, thuganomics85 said:

And did a freaking amazing job! Seriously, one of the best performances of Satan, ever.

On 3/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, SmithW6079 said:

This episode was a miss for me. I've come to appreciate Bernard and his snarky comments, but only in small doses, so the focus on him here was too much for me. Whose house was the party in anyway? Bernard's? Does that mean he has an apartment in LA and a house in Vegas? 

This confused me as well, although as biakbiak mentioned, it was probably an event space.

Edited by Jordan61
  • Love 2

I want to read "Under-think It".  Also, Don Johnson was a perfect fit as the owner. 

I can be very critical of a show's writing, but this week, a lot of pieces tied together brilliantly (the bet, the dropped steak helping to save the day, Ronnie under-thinking the password, etc.)

I can't stop trying to picture Dr. Legit's cash-only vitamin B12 shot business (for some reason, I'm picturing a 1970's Olds with a giant trunk.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, marketdoctor said:

I want to read "Under-think It".  Also, Don Johnson was a perfect fit as the owner. 

I can be very critical of a show's writing, but this week, a lot of pieces tied together brilliantly (the bet, the dropped steak helping to save the day, Ronnie under-thinking the password, etc.)

I can't stop trying to picture Dr. Legit's cash-only vitamin B12 shot business (for some reason, I'm picturing a 1970's Olds with a giant trunk.)

Dr. Legit on level 3 of the parking garage TYVM.  I stumbled onto this show a few weeks ago and I love it.  While every week isn't perfect, most of the time I find myself laughing throughout the episode.  I do think Parking Lot B was the high point so far.

I loved Don Johnson as the owner; I don't think I've seen him do comedy before.  If the show lasts, I hope he's recurring.  Awesome homage to Miami Vice at the end when he pops out of the cabinets in the back of the plane.  On a shallow note, he's really aged nicely.

Speaking of actors doing comedy, Dylan McDermott is killing it.  I was skeptical when I saw the ads for this show, I didn't think he could do it.  But he makes me laugh more than any other character.

• Love 6

Dylan McDermott played a really silly, absurd character on an episode of Will & Grace back in the day, so it's not surprising to me that he can pull this off. He really is the main draw here. But I also loved Artem and Nichole getting Colin to use up his 150 words. It was so easy. Did they promise to cut Bernard in? Is that why he sold him out? He didn't end up getting anything for that.

• Love 4

Don Johnson as Jackpot's shady owner was pretty hilarious.  Him popping out under the cabinet at the end (with "In the Air Tonight" playing) was a great ending gag.

Artem and Nichole totally had Colin's number here, because there would be no way for him to last through a flight without saying 150 words.  Even if owner didn't "jump", he probably still would have slipped at the end.  The scene between him and Artem at the end was nice.

Even if it isn't shown all the time, I like that Ronnie and Nichole's friendship is still a thing.

• Love 6
On 4/4/2018 at 8:21 AM, kacesq said:

Dr. Legit on level 3 of the parking garage TYVM.  I stumbled onto this show a few weeks ago and I love it.  While every week isn't perfect, most of the time I find myself laughing throughout the episode.  I do think Parking Lot B was the high point so far.

I loved Don Johnson as the owner; I don't think I've seen him do comedy before.  If the show lasts, I hope he's recurring.  Awesome homage to Miami Vice at the end when he pops out of the cabinets in the back of the plane.  On a shallow note, he's really aged nicely.

Speaking of actors doing comedy, Dylan McDermott is killing it.  I was skeptical when I saw the ads for this show, I didn't think he could do it.  But he makes me laugh more than any other character.

McDermott is killing it. It's gotten to the point with me that I start laughing whenever he starts talking because I know it's going to be funny - especially when speaking to Alan.

I can't believe Colin made me laugh the hardest in this episode though "without trying to sound too British...what's all this then?"

• Love 7

Both Mr. AngelKitty and I said "Who is that guy?" Then I realized it was Don Johnson. I got chills when they played the theme song at the end because I love that song even though I was not a regular watcher of that show.

I really am pleasantly surprised at how good this show is. It's just fun to watch.

• Love 6

I'm blanking on what the exact line was but Stormare's "it's as easy as taking blank from blank" followed by "aren't you going to ask what i'm doing with all the blank? I gotta tell you it's pretty weird" slayed me.

• Love 2
On 4/4/2018 at 6:21 PM, kacesq said:

Agreed. Don Jonhson was truly perfect casting, he out-Dave'd Captain Dave. And he really does look so much better than I ever could have imagined. He needs to be in more stuff! And the ending with that musical cue was everything.

Dylan McDermott is the best, though. I love how they settled into him being a decent, good man. It removes a layer of potential sleaze and makes him just plain hilarious. Captain Dave is the highlight of this show, every time.

Peter Stormare does often give him a run for his money, though, heh.

On 4/4/2018 at 11:11 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Even if it isn't shown all the time, I like that Ronnie and Nichole's friendship is still a thing.

Same here! I was waiting for their hug to end with a snarky joke or a facial reaction from Nicole, but it was just a lovely moment between them, and the writers left it at that, and it warmed my heart.

• Love 3
On 4/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, MrWhyt said:

I'm blanking on what the exact line was but Stormare's "it's as easy as taking blank from blank" followed by "aren't you going to ask what i'm doing with all the blank? I gotta tell you it's pretty weird" slayed me.

"This is going to be like taking shoes from baby"

• Love 1

I am a sucker for A Few Good Men references and Ronnie in jeans. 

Nice characterization work by Dylan McDermott, just wanting others to see him as cool and screwing over his crew

I think Olivia Macklin has the fastest line deliveries on this show. The line about the topless taco bar sticks out, as does her line a few eps ago about hoping the mom strippers were ready to lose twice.

• Love 4

Artem: “But the problem is that old lady, she hasn’t moved for hours. She’s very stubborn like stain in a Tide commercial.”

Bernard: “Is this what it feels like to be a seven? Answer me Ronnie.”

Jaden: ”There are too many people in this cockpit.”

Capt Dave: “Everyone relax. Bernie!”

Jaden: “You’re inviting more?”

Jaden: “Are you the flight instructor? Hi, I’m Capt Jaden.”

Capt Dave: “I’m not your—-what’s a Jaden?”

I sure missed Alan. Why didn’t he go to training, Capt Dave could’ve used the backup. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

This show continues to be a cute little show that is better then it has any right to be.  Is sounds so freaking stupid but it just kinda works.

I think it would pair nicely with Brooklyn 99. Two workplace comedies with a mix of grounded and wacky characters.

• Love 1

I liked how all the Vegas crew looked down their noses at the Reno crew - because that's a real thing! I know from personal experience Las Vegas in general tends to look down its nose at Reno. I once made the mistake of saying someone I knew from Vegas was from Reno and they got really mad!

I also loved the little mini scooter that Captain Dave's luggage turned into and now I want to know if that's a real thing.

• Love 5

I absolutely lost it during Ronnie and Bernard's argument about the white suede outfit she stole from her mom with a wine stain, vs. the one she got as payment to fake date the lawnmowing guy. Can't Buy Me Love!

• Love 7

Another fun episode.  I liked seeing more of the Jackpot organization in general and the interactions between the different parts.  Especially got a kick out of the Reno crew being potheads and misfits that even the LA to Vegas crew turns their noses down on.  Obviously knew the crew wasn't going to get broken up, but I liked how their issues fit with their character (Captain Dave throwing the others under the bus... err, plane, to make himself look good, Ronnie going off half-cocked all the time, Bernard being his normal selfish, snarky self), but they all realized how well they work together and, yes, the bizarre family they have become.  I'm not saying their methods are always the best, but I ever did get stuck on an airline like Jackpot, they'd be who I'd want to be in control of the flight!

The Artem, Colin, and Nichole subplot was equally fun, even though they never were going to win that money.  But I love that Artem apparently likes airport novels.  And that he and Nichole apparently do yoga together!  It's little things like that I appreciate, because it hints at the relationship they probably have outside of the airport.

The sight gag of Captain Dave zipping off on his scooter luggage was the best.  Dylan McDermott continues to be perfection here.

And on a shallow note: both Kim Matula and Olivia Macklin know how to rock some blue jeans!

• Love 6

Bernard walks in to the "party room" and sees that it is set up with plastic classroom desk chairs.

"How am I going to have sex on these?"......"Oh, I figured it out."

(From memory, feel free to correct.)

I am still laughing.

• Love 5

Now I want a crossover!  Imagine Ronnie dealing with Hitchcock and Scully, or Captain Holt vs. Captain Dave.

• Love 5
On 3/21/2018 at 6:33 AM, LadyKenobi said:

Dummy storyline was the first miss on this show. Embarrassingly bad.

The sushi was awesomely creative and Ronnie (“Ronald!”) sucks for standing up Colin. But I really like how the female lead isn’t perfect.

The jetway is Switzerland, lol.

I love when Artem calls her "Ronald."  That cracks me up.  I think he might have called her other variations of that name too. 

• Love 2
On 4/11/2018 at 1:25 PM, iMonrey said:

I also loved the little mini scooter that Captain Dave's luggage turned into and now I want to know if that's a real thing.

That led to my favorite line of the episode, "Donkeys had a good run."

• Love 6
On 4/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Another fun episode.  I liked seeing more of the Jackpot organization in general and the interactions between the different parts.  Especially got a kick out of the Reno crew being potheads and misfits that even the LA to Vegas crew turns their noses down on.  Obviously knew the crew wasn't going to get broken up, but I liked how their issues fit with their character (Captain Dave throwing the others under the bus... err, plane, to make himself look good, Ronnie going off half-cocked all the time, Bernard being his normal selfish, snarky self), but they all realized how well they work together and, yes, the bizarre family they have become.  I'm not saying their methods are always the best, but I ever did get stuck on an airline like Jackpot, they'd be who I'd want to be in control of the flight!

The Artem, Colin, and Nichole subplot was equally fun, even though they never were going to win that money.  But I love that Artem apparently likes airport novels.  And that he and Nichole apparently do yoga together!  It's little things like that I appreciate, because it hints at the relationship they probably have outside of the airport.

The sight gag of Captain Dave zipping off on his scooter luggage was the best.  Dylan McDermott continues to be perfection here.

And on a shallow note: both Kim Matula and Olivia Macklin know how to rock some blue jeans!

It is http://modobag.com/

19 hours ago, Mulva said:

Now I want a crossover!  Imagine Ronnie dealing with Hitchcock and Scully, or Captain Holt vs. Captain Dave.

Surely there's some contrived way for that to happen! If Brooklyn Nine-Nine can do a crossover with New Girl, why not do one with this show, too? Just put them all on a plane. Captain Dave will take care of the rest.

Gina and Bernard would be incredible together, Jake would probably see Captain Dave as a father figure, Artem would befriend Scully and Hitchcock, Rosa would hang out with Nicole, and Captain Holt, Amy and Terry would probably sit with Colin, lamenting the entire experience while Ronnie would run around doing all the work.

Come on, Fox! Make it happen!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mulva said:

Even better if Bernard and Captain Holt were old 'friends'.

Even if they were just acquaintances who were contemporaries, we'd have an approximation of Bernard's age.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

Is a Mashed Potato Bar a real thing?  Because...yeah.  I"m all about the chives.

They're real, and they're spectacular. 

(friends had one at a wedding. Mashed potatoes and/or mashed sweet potatoes. All the fixins. Served in martini glasses. If the rest of the wedding had been that good, it would have been one of my all time faves)

• Love 7

This show is my new happy place.  I've already watched the first nine episodes twice and I'll probably do a full season rewatch later this summer. 

I started watching for Ed but Olivia, Peter and Kim have stolen the show.  Dylan plays Captain Dave pitch perfect and I'm happy to be a party of one for my love of Nathan as Bernard.  I'd love to hang out in an airport lounge with them!

Great show to just turn your brain off and laugh.

• Love 6