Type keyword(s) to search

LA To Vegas - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

The series premiere introduces the shoestring budget airline crew and its eccentric passengers who, every weekend, take the roundtrip flight from Los Angeles to Las Vegas with one goal in mind: to come back a winner. It won't be easy, but this unlikely group of miscreants and dreamers will eventually go from being strangers on a plane to a supportive, if unconventional, family—well, at least from Friday to Sunday.

So, I was lucky in that my Tuesday at 9pm show wasn't on this week, so I actually tuned in live to see if I liked it.

I think this might be the only episode I watch. I most likely won't be motivated enough to watch online for future episodes, so this is likely it for me. 

I just didn't find it funny. I was marginally amused by Artem and I liked the Stripper Girl, but that's it. I did not like Dylan McDermott's character at all. I found Ronnie ok but her love interest is so bland. I loathed Bernard because I'm sick and tired of the Gay Stereotype that sitcoms seem to love to cast. He was way too stereotypical and annoying, to boot. 

As a young adult, the actor of the fiance that threatened to bring the plane down is someone I quite enjoy in comedic roles, so I actually smiled at some of his parts. 

Yeah, sorry, LA to Vegas. I think I'm going to have to cancel my flight. 

• Love 1

It wasn't bad. I chuckled a few times. I thought the gambler and stripper were funny.

I loathed Bernard because I'm sick and tired of the Gay Stereotype that sitcoms seem to love to cast. He was way too stereotypical and annoying, to boot. 

I agree. I'm so over bitchy queens on TV.

I don't fly often, but do pilots really mingle with the passengers like that, especially these days? That's why -- at first -- I thought this was a retro series.

• Love 3

Although not very funny, I was impressed at how interwoven everybody's plots were. Not all the jokes landed, but they were throwing them out so fast that you really didn't dwell on it. Funniest scene: the pilot's takedown of the irate passenger. I wasn't sure how successful it was going to be. Funniest quote: Don't cockpit block me.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 6

This didn't make me laugh as much as I expected it to, but the premise is a lot of fun and there's potential here.

Many of the plots and the characters were sort of paint-by-numbers. Hopefully that's just pilot-itus and they get a little more creative. I really like the idea that there are regulars on the plane, but there's also room to bring in wacky new characters each week.

My favorite moment was also the pilot taking down the passenger!

Favorite line:

"It's bad enough that Alan has to watch."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Ratings: LA to Vegas Gives Fox 11-Month High

https://tvline.com/2018/01/03/la-to-vegas-ratings-season-1-premiere-fox/

LA to Vegas got lucky because there was nothing really back in that timeslot for Tuesdays. That's the reason why I ended up watching live. I guarantee those numbers will drop quite a bit next week, when This Is Us comes back, and then other Tuesday at 9pm shows come back. 

5 hours ago, ae2 said:

I really like the idea that there are regulars on the plane

Who do you think are regulars, pilot and co-pilot, the 2 flight attendants, compulsive gambler, and commuting stripper?

I also liked when the flight attendant was changing her clothes in the airport and the father and son high-fived each other. There was also a good call back joke where one flight attendant said "Did you change in the airport?" and the other said "At least I wore underwear this time." 

The pilot drinking in the bar at the end was also funny.

There were actually several humorous moments like when the flight attendant knocking on the cockpit door to make whatever they say on the intercom come true. The high number of jokes, including many that didn't land, (like the professor's wife which I didn't find any of it funny or interesting and I was wondered why they didn't show the kid if that was the real reason he went to Vegas), might explain why people didn't think it was funnier. There is not a lot of room in a plane aisle to do physical comedy.

I would love to see a sexual harassment scene for both flight attendants.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

As a young adult, the actor of the fiance that threatened to bring the plane down is someone I quite enjoy in comedic roles, so I actually smiled at some of his parts. 

Nathan Kress from iCarly. It took me a few minutes to place him, I enjoyed him here.

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

LA to Vegas got lucky because there was nothing really back in that timeslot for Tuesdays. That's the reason why I ended up watching live. I guarantee those numbers will drop quite a bit next week, when This Is Us comes back, and then other Tuesday at 9pm shows come back. 

It may still work out for this show. If people decide that they're no longer interested in This Is Us or any of the other returning shows, they may stick with this one.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Who do you think are regulars, pilot and co-pilot, the 2 flight attendants, compulsive gambler, and commuting stripper?

And the love interest, of course. I'm also hoping we revisit the engaged girl who went off to be a stripper.

• Love 3

Not bad, but a different then I expected, since the previews pushed Dylan McDermott as the lead, but it really seems to be more about Ronnie, while he's more of the "side character played by a big name."  Not familiar with the actress playing her, but she was winning enough.  Usually not a fan of Dylan, but he actually worked for me here.  I think I prefer him in more comedic roles (like that film, The Campaign), then whenever he is trying to be all brooding and serious.

Didn't know Peter Stormare was going to be a regular, so that's cool (and I actually understood everything he said, for once.  I must be getting fluent in Stormare!  The friendly stripper seemed nice.  The British dude was dull, and Bernard really feels like he is from a long, begotten era.

We'll see, I guess.  I usually give comedies a few episodes, but there is no casual watching for me.  I either fall head over heels for them (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Parks & Rec, The Good Place), or I end up dropping them.  I already gave up on Ghosted, despite my general love for Adam Scott.

• Love 3

This was sooo clunky. I knew this wasn't going to be very good in the first ten seconds when Ronnie did the "Wait!" joke with the cab twice in a row and neither of them worked. Some parts were mildly amusing, but none of the jokes were very sharp, funny, or well executed. The non-pregnant stripper seemed to have the best comedic timing of anyone, including Dylan McDermot.

I'm willing to chalk it up to "pilot jitters" and will check out a couple more episodes to see if the writing gets better, since I do like the concept, in theory.

Also, I fly a lot for work, so I'm wondering about the whole dedicated route thing that Ronnie was hoping to get from Delta (I think it was LA to JFK?). Do flight attendants ever really get to fly a dedicated route for an extended period of time? I thought they pretty much were assigned to flights as needed and based on availability. I fly to the same city about once a month for 5-6 months and it's rare I see the same flight attendants unless it's an overnight round trip. I have gotten the same pilot several times though.

Edited by Giuseppe
19 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

Do flight attendants ever really get to fly a dedicated route for an extended period of time? I thought they pretty much were assigned to flights as needed and based on availability.

Flight attendants are usually scheduled like pilots - they have a monthly schedule.  A month or two out, they "bid" on the schedule they want, and the airline then fills the schedule based on bids and seniority.  If there is a popular route that a lot of FAs want, you will need to be fairly senior to hold it, same for pilots.  New crew members (cabin and flight) usually end up on reserve, where you are on call to fill in as needed.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 2

It was just OK - it definitely needs to get better. I was interested mainly for the familiar faces. I haven't seen The Mindy Project since Fox cancelled it (I don't get Hulu) so it was nice seeing Ed Weeks again. And I like Dylan McDermott in comedic roles. My favorite was Kether Donohue as the professor's magician assistant wife, because she's hilarious on You're The Worst, but it looks like she's not going to be a regular so that's disappointing. I give them bonus points for coming up with a fresh premise anyway.

• Love 2

I think its been so so thus far, but has potential. 

It doesn't bug me to the point I will stop watching yet. 

Plus if they can build on what they have I think it can pair nicely with The Mick, a show that has really hit its stride in season two. 

I agree about the gay stereotype character.  I find that annoying.  Not him, the idea of that character. 

• Love 1

There's just something missing from this show. The premise has potential and Dylan McDermott is giving it his all, but it feels like the writing isn't quite there nor are the supporting characters. Ronnie isn't particularly interesting or compelling, and they can't keep up this thing with her and the British guy forever. It's only two episodes in and it already feels tiresome. Bernard, as others have noted, is an annoying stereotype and, worse, not even funny. Artem isn't funny either. They really need a better ensemble overall. I suppose they could do a better job making Ronnie interesting but they need to dump Bernard and Artem and replace them with characters that are more fun.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's just something missing from this show. The premise has potential and Dylan McDermott is giving it his all, but it feels like the writing isn't quite there nor are the supporting characters. Ronnie isn't particularly interesting or compelling, and they can't keep up this thing with her and the British guy forever. It's only two episodes in and it already feels tiresome. Bernard, as others have noted, is an annoying stereotype and, worse, not even funny. Artem isn't funny either. They really need a better ensemble overall. I suppose they could do a better job making Ronnie interesting but they need to dump Bernard and Artem and replace them with characters that are more fun.

I was just thinking that I really enjoyed the second episode. I laughed a few times. Even though I really don't like Bitchy Black Gay Stereotype, I thought he was used effectively here with the "manual." The Ronnie/British Guy relationship should be a nonstarter. British Guy isn't funny, but Ronnie had a few good lines, including something about "pretending this is the first time I've ever moved a body." I like Artem the gambler and all the ways he tries to get action. The stripper is funny too. If someone really died on an airplane, would they force a passenger to sit next to the body? That was gross.

The little Orthodox Jewish boys were funny, especially at the end when they're telling the stripper that because they had their bar mitzvahs, they're "men" now.

When I used to commute to work by train, I had a regular group of friends I sat with, but does the same thing exist for flights? Are there "regulars"? I don't fly that often. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

When I used to commute to work by train, I had a regular group of friends I sat with, but does the same thing exist for flights? Are there "regulars"? I don't fly that often. 

I don't think it's that hard to imagine "regulars" when you have a regularly scheduled flight between two massive destinations, especially if it's such a short flight.

When i first saw the commercials I was worried they'd overuse sleazy Dylan McDermott, but they got him dialed in pretty good IMO, of course we're only 2 episodes in.

• Love 1

I'm finding this show very funny. Easy to turn the brain off and just laugh. Love McDermott in this. The speech about how he dealt with the yips during his last encounter (quit the team, transfer schools, and now have a panic attack when in sight of a football) had me in stitches. He's easily the highlight, as none of the rest of the characters does all that much for me.

• Love 9

I found this episode much funnier than the first. I love love love Peter Stormare and I was delighted to see him in the pilot! I had no idea he was on the show when I recorded it. When he was talking to the stripper about Gone Girl and said Ben Affleck had to go see Madea for help I about died. Polar opposite from the last thing I saw him in, which was American Gods.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

I'm finding this show very funny. Easy to turn the brain off and just laugh. Love McDermott in this. The speech about how he dealt with the yips during his last encounter (quit the team, transfer schools, and now have a panic attack when in sight of a football) had me in stitches. He's easily the highlight, as none of the rest of the characters does all that much for me.

I like that he's not front and center for everything. I think that it could tiresome if he was, especially when he's putting on the macho, bravado, d-bag persona.

2 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

"We can use my Hogwarts cloak"

"No one cares about Star Trek, Alan"

And, apparently, Alan has a crush on Captain Dave.

• Love 2

Show still isn't all there, but I'm still finding it passable entertainment for now.  I surprisingly find Dylan McDermott to be the best thing about it, which once again makes me believe he is much stronger at comedy then drama.  Peter Stormare and the friendly stripper still provide decent laughs and I even enjoy Ronnie due to finding the actress (Kim Matula, I think?) winning.  Still find British love interest dull and Bernard a walking, talking cliche.

Obvious it's a comed, so I should turn my brain off, but I actually am curious about what the procedure would be if someone died on an airplane. 

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Obvious it's a comed, so I should turn my brain off, but I actually am curious about what the procedure would be if someone died on an airplane. 

Business Insider says:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/passenger-death-airline-2016-4

But on crowded flights, there may not be room to relocate the deceased, at which point the corpse would be covered up and strapped into a seat.

• Love 1

The floor was definitely not the right move for corpse placement, for the exact reason we saw: trip hazard. If the stripper didn’t want to sit next to him, I don’t know why they didn’t think of just letting her sit in one of the jump seats.

I hope Captain Dave keeps doing those in-flight "tourist tips" before the plane takes off.

"Just because you pay for sex doesn't mean you have to pay a lot. So do what I do, go to Madam Kitty's Ranch off the 6th, because you deserve to get a hand-o without paying an arm and a leg."

And all the little Jewish boys hurriedly scribbling down that information. 

Did anyone notice that Dave asks in the beginning, "Guess who has two thumbs, nine toes, and just nailed an interview with Aviator Magazine?"

Also, apparently he and Bernard did something togethet on a layover about which they never want to speak.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

I saw the ads for the Dylan McDemott/Mulroney crossover and had to watch (nothing else was on).  Since I don't watch a lot of series TV, can someone please  tell me who the THIRD pilot was at the end.  I take it he's someone famous, but he was on for only a few seconds and I couldn't really tell.  Help!

• Love 1

This is actually turning into a pretty funny show.  Or maybe I am just easily amused.    

I can see "regular" flights forming on a discount airline for people on a regular schedule.   A gambler,  a girl who strips on the weekends,  and a guy who visits his kid are a perfect group to travel on the flight.  It makes a kind of sense that they would see each other,  have nothing in common but quickly for bonds because why the hell not?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 9

Best. Casting. Ever! Perfect in every way! And even without the most brilliant stunt casting I've ever seen, everything about the episode was pretty damn funny.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm one of those people who used constantly mix up Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney (whose comedic timing is as surprising and delightful as Dylan McDermott's), so them acting opposite each other just tickles me.

Josh Duhamel? Holy crap!

ETA: Josh Duhamel showing up is even funnier once I remembered he starred in another show with Vegas in the title.

This show is cheeky.

Edited by steelyis
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, steelyis said:

Best. Casting. Ever! Perfect in every way! And even without the most brilliant stunt casting I've ever seen, everything about the episode was pretty damn funny.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm one of those people who used constantly mix up Dylan McDermott and Dermot Mulroney

You aren't the only one who mixes them up.  I thought it was brilliantly meta to cast Dermot M. as the nemesis pilot.  I had originally thought he was going to be the lead on this show. 

I've been week to week so far, but I'm going to add the season to my DVR.  Fun show.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Suzysite said:

You aren't the only one who mixes them up.  I thought it was brilliantly meta to cast Dermot M. as the nemesis pilot.  I had originally thought he was going to be the lead on this show. 

Its been an ongoing joke since the 90s hence the casting. 

I did appreciate this ep acknowledged they were doing multiple back and forths throughout the weekend.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I did appreciate this ep acknowledged they were doing multiple back and forths throughout the weekend.

I had been wondering... And I loved that the Saturday flight back to L.A. had only two passed-out people on it (likely drunk and/or lost all their money in one night).

• Love 3

I'm enjoying the show when I can catch up on the episodes. It's fun. Not sure they can sustain it, but they went off the plane and airport this week, so that helped a lot. Children's party at strip club, uh yeah.

Anyone know where I can get one of those flight attendant scarves? I really, really like it for some odd reason. None of the "worn on tv" sites have it listed.

Edited by Ms Lark
grammar.
  • Love 1

Grapefroots - where you get free fruit salad with every lap dance!

We learned I think in the first episode that they also have a Montessori school there, so perfect place for the birthday party!

• Love 3