Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

TS head shaker of the week:  Sleepy Hollow. Bad enough that the contestant answers "Headless Horseman", but, when ruled wrong, the other two contestants don't answer "Ichabod Crane"????? Seriously, can anyone name anyone else in Sleepy Hollow except Headless Horseman & Ichabod Crane???? And, the easy FJ clues continue! Shame about the former champ (not betting enough). He out-Frenched Alex by giving the title of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" in its original French (stunning Alex in the process).

• Love 21

Dewey is ok but Carson is not.  Shut up, show.

I was already concerned that we were going to leave NFL until last and when no one got backstop AND no one knew Dallas or Pittsburgh I could see why.  Also Colorado Rockies.  Bless her.  I felt so badly for her at the end because she appeared to be trying so hard.

Argh! If The Headless Horseman was not the answer why did no one guess Ichabod Crane?

Also Anupama's story about Roger Federer had a cute punchline and I can totally relate.

What a silly FJ wager!  I would have luckily totally bet zero because I had no clue.  I could honestly say I have never heard the name Coleridge in my life.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Dewey is ok but Carson is not.  Shut up, show.

I was already concerned that we were going to leave NFL until last and when no one got backstop AND no one knew Dallas or Pittsburgh I could see why.  Also Colorado Rockies.  Bless her.  I felt so badly for her at the end because she appeared to be trying so hard.

Argh! If The Headless Horseman was not the answer why did no one guess Ichabod Crane?

Also Anupama's story about Roger Federer had a cute punchline and I can totally relate.

What a silly FJ wager!  I would have luckily totally bet zero because I had no clue.  I could honestly say I have never heard the name Coleridge in my life.

As usual, I FF'd through the interviews. Could you please recap her story about Federer? Thanks!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2

Boo hiss that Ivan lost.  Dennis just annoyed me for no apparent reason. 

WTF missing Ichabod Crane?  Especially when middle woman guessed Headless.  Y'know, it didn't really hurt my feelings that she didn't make it to FJ.

FJ was an instaget, despite that particular poet not being one of the ones I shouted out when the category was revealed.  We had to memorize large chunks of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan when I was in high school, so I am terribly familiar with Coleridge.

Some of the TS I got include Michigan, Ichabod (of course), Pittsburgh Steelers, precaution, salivary, and NCIS: New Orleans.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

As usual, I FF'd through the interviews. Could you please recap her story about Federer? Thanks!

She said that she is a huge Fed fan and she's seen him in tournaments and goes to the US Open and he should really recognize her in the crowd now.  The way she said it was charming.

• Love 8

I'm glad Dennis won. It's nice to see a blue collar guy do well, and Ivan blew it with his wager.

I felt bad for the middle contestant, who was cleaely on tilt. She probably had a bad case of the nerves.

I would've run that NFL category and was pissed we didn't get to see the last two. I had the ones revealed, backstop, bicep, salivary glands, and FJ.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

FJ was an instaget, despite that particular poet not being one of the ones I shouted out when the category was revealed.  We had to memorize large chunks of The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan when I was in high school, so I am terribly familiar with Coleridge.

That would definitely help. I sometimes confuse the authors of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (Coleridge) and "The Charge of the Light Brigade:" (Tennyson). My English teacher for Brit Lit was more interested in Shakespeare, Arthurian legends, and 20th century authors rather than poets. 

4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Right! At least guess that! 

10 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I don't get the $4000 bet either. 

2 minutes ago, teebax said:

I felt bad for the middle contestant, who was cleaely on tilt. She probably had a bad case of the nerves.

I would've run that NFL category and was pissed we didn't get to see the last two. I had the ones revealed, backstop, bicep, salivary glands, and FJ.

I'm presuming Ichabod Crane as well. 

I suspect you're right about nerves. I think that's how you get a "Colorado Rockies" football team guess. 

• Love 6

Congrats to Dennis.  Too bad Ivan didn't wager enough on FJ, though.

I assume Alex pronounced Dennis' name "Denise" at the start of the game as some kind of humorless slap at the way Ivan pronounced his name?  WTF, Alex?!

It was apparent that none of them were football fans but Colorado Rockies?

I got backstop, Ichabod Crane (really, no one got that?), the Cowboys, the Steelers, the Raiders, biceps, and NCIS: New Orleans.

I don't think they would have accepted "the Ancient Mariner guy", so I bombed in FJ.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

That would definitely help. I sometimes confuse the authors of "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" (Coleridge) and "The Charge of the Light Brigade:" (Tennyson). My English teacher for Brit Lit was more interested in Shakespeare, Arthurian legends, and 20th century authors rather than poets. 

Right! At least guess that! 

I don't get the $4000 bet either. 

I'm presuming Ichabod Crane as well. 

I suspect you're right about nerves. I think that's how you get a "Colorado Rockies" football team guess. 

Good catch. I did get Ichabod Crane. 

Colorado Rockies made me chuckle. I was surprised none of them got any football ones right. 

• Love 2

I got backstop, Ichabod Crane (duh), and LA Raiders. I'd never heard of Lighthorse Harry.

For the compound word that was 'paperweight,' I guessed hurricane lamp. Of course it's not a compound word, but 'breezy room' in the clue led me there.

I knew that FJ was of course referring to Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but for the life of me I couldn't remember Coleridge. (Perhaps it was the wine?) I guessed Keats.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Dennis.  Too bad Ivan didn't wager enough on FJ, though.

I assume Alex pronounced Dennis' name "Denise" at the start of the game as some kind of humorless slap at the way Ivan pronounced his name?  WTF, Alex?!

It was apparent that none of them were football fans but Colorado Rockies?

I got backstop, Ichabod Crane (really, no one got that?), the Cowboys, the Steelers, the Raiders, biceps, and NCIS: New Orleans.

I don't think they would have accepted "the Ancient Mariner guy", so I bombed in FJ.

I took it more as Alex fetishizing the "exotic" names of the other contestants. And poor Dennis isn't foreign enough! It rubbed me the wrong way if you can't tell. 

• Love 1

Too much skipping around in today's game. I hate when they do that because then I have to pay attention so I know which category we're in ;-)

TS I got were MI, Cowboys, Steelers, necropolis (missed DD), salivary glands, NCIS: NO, Ichabod Crane

Poor wagering by Ivan; I knew that Dennis was going to go all in. Felt bad for Amurpama; her nerves really got the best of her. 

Dewey seemed like an easy DD for a category about librarians. 

6 hours ago, illdoc said:

He out-Frenched Alex by giving the title of "Hunchback of Notre Dame" in its original French (stunning Alex in the process).

When the Hugo category was revealed, Dr. Toothbrush & I groaned knowing we could look forward to Alex's accent. When Ivan out-Frenced (hee) Alex, we didn't know whether to be impressed or roll our eyes at his pretentiousness. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter. I realize Ivan gave the title of the book in the language it was originally written in, but on an American quiz show the English version will suffice just fine.

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Same answer here..lol

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For the compound word that was 'paperweight,' I guessed hurricane lamp. Of course it's not a compound word, but 'breezy room' in the clue led me there.

Better than my answer of windchimes, which made absolutely no sense. 

• Love 9

“PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger”

Anupama: preventative
Ivan: preemptive
Dennis: preventive

Response wanted: precaution

I though that all of them fit the clue, which was horribly written, and that all 3 should have been credited with a correct response. Horrible clue!

• Love 21
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

When I saw the statue, I knew the poem immediately, but I couldn't remember the poet - hated my poetry classes (well, my poetry professor), so they are all a jumble in my mind. I got it just at the last second.

6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

When the Hugo category was revealed, Dr. Toothbrush & I groaned knowing we could look forward to Alex's accent. When Ivan out-Frenced (hee) Alex, we didn't know whether to be impressed or roll our eyes at his pretentiousness. Right now I'm leaning toward the latter. I realize Ivan gave the title of the book in the language it was originally written in, but on an American quiz show the English version will suffice just fine.

I don't remember if Ivan is mulitlingual - but I do know that I sometimes remember the German titles to books I read when I attended school in Germany before I remember the English title. So maybe it's not so much pretentiousness, as what immediately came to mind. 

1 hour ago, Ailianna said:

“PRE” SCHOOL $400: It’s defined as “an action taken in advance to protect against possible danger”

I though that all of them fit the clue, which was horribly written, and that all 3 should have been credited with a correct response. Horrible clue!

I thought so too. They have slightly different meanings, but the clue was poorly worded. I came up with preemptive.

• Love 4

English/British Poets:  Tennyson, Wordsworth, Coleridge.  I kept thinking Wadsworth, but that's Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

I did a Snidely Whiplash laugh when Ivan gave the French title for THoND.  Yep, he stunned Alex into momentary silence and that's a good thing.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I was fully expecting them to be credited for correct responses after the break! At least all 3 got it wrong so "no harm, no foul" or whatever Alex says.

That FJ wager...shake my head. Especially since he only had to wager against one other contestant! What the hell, you are in the lead! How do you think the other person is going to bet? Poor wagers are the thing I hate most when watching Jeopardy.

Edited by DoubleUTeeEff
clarity
  • Love 4

Dewey seemed like an easy DD for a category about librarians. 

Yeah, its one of those answers you could keep saying until it was right since it had to be an answer eventually. 

I got FJ without even noticing the bird in the statue.  I got it from seeing the rope around the sailor's neck (I remembered that part of the poem).  

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

It made sense to at least one other person in the universe.  That would be moi, as Ivan might have said, bless his coeur.

My husband said wind chimes too. Being mostly a computer guy, who apparently never worked with fresh air blowing on him, I had to explain why paperweights were the answer. Lol

• Love 4
16 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I got backstop, Ichabod Crane (duh), and LA Raiders. I'd never heard of Lighthorse Harry.

I knew that FJ was of course referring to Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but for the life of me I couldn't remember Coleridge. (Perhaps it was the wine?) I guessed Keats.

I first heard of Lighthorse Harry Lee in the musical 1776 - he was a cousin of Richard Henry Lee, whose song "The Lees of Old Virginia" lists many of his relatives, including Lighthorse Harry.  (Although the nickname was bestowed after the American Revolution.)  He was also the father of Robert E. Lee.

15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Exactly what I was coming here to say.  I was rooting hard for Dennis.  I think Ivan underestimated him. 

I was rooting for Ivan, but liked Dennis, too.  And that was some crap wagering by Ivan, so good for Dennis - he did what he had to do to win.

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

TS I got were MI, Cowboys, Steelers, necropolis (missed DD), salivary glands, NCIS: NO, Ichabod Crane

I got all of these too.  How could they not know Mean Joe Green?

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

Am I misremembering the clue? I thought they said something about states with a land border with Canada, which Michigan does not have unless you count bridges. 

It said land and water borders.

• Love 4

Hey, I didn't know what team Mean Joe Green played on and I'm 60!  LOL.  Coleridge also wrote "Kubla Khan" which shows up occasionally.  And he was a big opium addict.  File this away under "Facts I might need in case I go on Jeopardy!"  I am librarian and MISSED the $200 clue!  I said periodical.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I was fully expecting them to be credited for correct responses after the break! At least all 3 got it wrong so "no harm, no foul" or whatever Alex says.

That FJ wager...shake my head. Especially since he only had to wager against one other contestant! What the hell, you are in the lead! How do you think the other person is going to bet? Poor wagers are the thing I hate most when watching Jeopardy.

But it put the middle player a lot more in the red, which could have changed the way she continued to play.  I'm not saying she would have won if not for that, but it make it a lot harder for her to get in the black, and I think if she were credited, she would have been in the low black.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:
12 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I thought so too. They have slightly different meanings, but the clue was poorly worded. I came up with preemptive.

My choice was "preemptive strike". 

As to today's FJ, I admit I said "M" even though as soon as I saw "IT" I was thinking "tech/computers". 

• Love 4

I said Q, but I think M was an easy trap to fall into. Not surprised that two of them did!

I liked Austin. He reminds me of someone, but I can't quite place him. And it was funny when he dropped his buzzer.

• Love 1

The Ant 
by Ogden Nash
The ant has made himself illustrious
Through constant industry industrious.
So what?
Would you be calm and placid
If you were full of formic acid?
[since formic acid was an answer tonight]

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Driad said:

The Ant 
by Ogden Nash
The ant has made himself illustrious
Through constant industry industrious.
So what?
Would you be calm and placid
If you were full of formic acid?
[since formic acid was an answer tonight]

Well done, Driad!

We had to memorize the Canterbury Tales prologue in 9th grade and I still remember the first few lines but Dennis' recitation was better than hearing it in my Texas twang. 

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

Better than my answer of windchimes, which made absolutely no sense. 

I had windchimes here too.

Today, for TS I got corn and braggadocio and FJ was an instaget. I'll give Austin one more game to tone it down before I release the Kraken.

• Love 7

OK guys, I'm worried. A few times lately, I've seen a Jeopardy teaser commercial

Spoiler

in which Alex compares some contestant (whom they never show) to Ken Jennings. Sacrilege! Alex gushes, saying something like "I'm in awe," presumably about how much this person is winning. I just automatically got annoyed by this commercial, because Ken won 70+ games, and we have only just begun this new season, so it seems much too early to trot out such a comparison. Now I feel even more apprehensive, because I have a bad feeling that we were introduced to that contestant today. 

I did kind of enjoy the Dalai Lama story, I'll admit. 

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, rubaco said:

OK guys, I'm worried. A few times lately, I've seen a Jeopardy teaser commercial

Reveal hidden contents

in which Alex compares some contestant (whom they never show) to Ken Jennings. Sacrilege! Alex gushes, saying something like "I'm in awe," presumably about how much this person is winning. I just automatically got annoyed by this commercial, because Ken won 70+ games, and we have only just begun this new season, so it seems much too early to trot out such a comparison. Now I feel even more apprehensive, because I have a bad feeling that we were introduced to that contestant today. 

I did kind of enjoy the Dalai Lama story, I'll admit. 

I've seen that commercial a few times. 

As for Austin, he's a bit slovenly. He needs a good haircut and a shave. 

• Love 1

I only liked the Dalai Lama story because it contained a Caddyshack quote.  If it had been anyone else but Austin, I probably would have loved the story.  Unfortunately, Austin gets on my last nerve to the point where I could barely watch tonight.  As a result, I only wrote down two of the TS I got -- Mazatlan and mother.

For FJ, my initial response was M, but I re-read the clue and decided M was too obvious and switched to Q.

I've seen that commercial, too, and I'm scared!

• Love 4