Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I first saw Jen and thought that Mayim Bialik (Blossom and Amy Farrah Fowler from the Big Bang Theory) was on Jeopardy! as a regular contestant instead of a celebrity one. There is quite a resemblance there.  

24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

As I have said many times, history is not my strong suit, and ancient history is even worse, so I was clueless for FJ.  However, I did get Palestine, Wild At Heart, and Beasts Of the Southern Wild.

I got those and guessed Hannibal. Born in Africa, victories in Italy. I had no idea where he died though.  

43 minutes ago, BryroseA said:

I got too clever and went Scipio Africanus for FJ. Why must I always complicate things?

Overthinking the question happens to me too and likely all of us here. It's like the medical saying,"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." 

Scipio Africanus did defeat Hannibal outside of Carthage (hence the Africanus title), so it was the right track but the wrong side the Second Punic War.  

• Love 5

I need to catch up on my new season postings.  I'm so glad Jeopardy's back!  It's so strange how not having a new Jeopardy! game to watch every evening just throws my whole evening off.  Yes, I need to get a life.

Monday, I got Colorado (missed DD), swan and NOAA.  I was absolutely clueless for FJ.

Yesterday, I only got Hanover.   I usually don't pay much attention to the Grammy's anymore because I have no clue who most of the musicians are.  Get off my lawn.  So I was pleased when I wild assed guessed Adele for FJ and was correct.  I actually do know who she is, have a couple of her albums, so I must not be dead yet.

All of the contestants have been good so far. Then Jen had to come along and ruin things by starting in the middle of categories.  I'm going to miss Laura.  I grew up not far from Grand Island.  She was a pleasant and very knowledgeable lady.  

I only got Beast of the Southern Wild.  FJ was almost an instaget - I screamed out, "That guy with the elephants!  The Alps!" before I dragged his name out of my pea brain.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I first saw Jen and thought that Mayim Bialik (Blossom and Amy Farrah Fowler from the Big Bang Theory) was on Jeopardy! as a regular contestant instead of a celebrity one. There is quite a resemblance there.  

I got those and guessed Hannibal. Born in Africa, victories in Italy. I had no idea where he died though.  

Overthinking the question happens to me too and likely all of us here. It's like the medical saying,"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras." 

Scipio Africanus did defeat Hannibal outside of Carthage (hence the Africanus title), so it was the right track but the wrong side the Second Punic War.  

I also thought she looked like Mayim Bialik! And the way she spoke sometimes made me think of her Big Bang Theory character.

I guessed Hannibal because I sort of thought maybe he was born in Africa. Maybe I'll retain some more information about him this time!

I knew all the "wild" movies, and I think it's a shame none of them knew Beasts of the Southern Wild. I loved that movie!

• Love 3

I will miss Laura. Jen is definitely channeling Mayim Bialik as Amy Farrah Fowler. She's fine, but needs to start at the top of the categories, please & thank you. My sister-in-law had a trivia contest at her wedding rehearsal dinner, and like Jay's mother-in-law, my mother-in-law kicked butt since the questions were all about the bride & groom's childhoods, relationship, etc.

TS I got were The Wild Bunch; Palestine; Naples (ran the TX category); Beasts of the Southern Wild

Can't believe there was a picture of Charles Lindbergh to ID, complete with a banner with The Spirit of St. Louis writ large behind him. It's like the "who's this"? picture of Richard Pryor on Monday's show.

• Love 4
On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:13 AM, illini1959 said:

Happy new season!!

Last night's contestants were all so lovely - no board jumping, no wild clicking or otherwise annoying behaviors :)

Could not come up with Adele, but anything after the early 80s is usually lost on me anyway.

The middle contestant on Tuesday's show, Linda (blue blouse), is a remarkable woman, and was dealing with a major set of health issues at the time of taping last spring and continues to battle, but lived long enough to see the show -- it was not clear back in spring if she would get to see her episode air.  She was going through radiation treatment for the spread of cancer to her brain when the taping happened, but she did brilliantly on the questions and handling the motor skills she was afraid would be affected.  The Jeopardy staff knew about her health issues.  She is now reveling in all the excitement, and her many friends and family members are so delighted to share it with her.  I was not sure if this should be mentioned here, but she gave an interview to the local newspaper that was just published:  https://www.noozhawk.com/article/lompoc_resident_battling_cancer_competes_on_jeopardy_game_show

Edited by jjj
  • Love 12

...he was making a joke about how smart viewers must feel when watching the reruns of the tournaments, because they remember stuff from the last airing -- which is true for me, at least!

I couldn't even remember who'd WON the tournament reruns. I watched them off and on, then off when the hurricanes threatened. I once lived in Houston and my son and sister live in Florida (plus, a ton of fellow authors).

But enough about me :)

I like the new champ.

And...I should have gotten Hannibal because of the, you know, elephants, even though Alexander the Great became something of a "war elephants" enthusiast, and they soon caught on in the west, big time.

Mr. Author guessed Alex the Great.

• Love 2

I guessed Bruno Mars because during the rare times I hear pop radio he always seems to be on it. I like Adele and felt bad for not even considering her. With Jeopardy clues, when a gender isn't mentioned, I assume they're looking for a male. I wonder why...

My gets were Wild Bunch, Wild at Heart, and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

And nobody getting Lindbergh???  WTF.

Laura got Lindbergh, but it certainly would have been a WTF had it been a TS. 

51 minutes ago, jjj said:

The middle contestant on Tuesday's show, Linda (blue blouse), is a remarkable women, and was dealing with a major set of health issues at the time of taping last spring and continues to battle, but lived long enough to see the show -- it was not clear back in spring if she would get to see her episode air.  She was going through radiation treatment for the spread of cancer to her brain when the taping happened, but she did brilliantly on the questions and handling the motor skills she was afraid would be affected.  The Jeopardy staff knew about her health issues.  She is now reveling in all the excitement, and her many friends and family members are so delighted to share it with her.  I was not sure if this should be mentioned here, but she gave an interview to the local newspaper that was just published:  https://www.noozhawk.com/article/lompoc_resident_battling_cancer_competes_on_jeopardy_game_show

Thank you for linking to this. I hope for a miracle for Linda and her loved ones, especially that adorable dumpling Linus. And, as always, fuck you cancer! 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Scrooge McDuck is also Huey, Dewey and Louie's uncle (great-uncle).  I think that should have counted.

I agree, and not just because I also said Scrooge McDuck.

The guy on the end must not have understood the "It's in interjection" category, or he wouldn't have guessed "twitch" instead of "tic".  Tic was one of the TS I got, along with wings (missed DD), cretin (possibly because I've been watching MASH reruns, and Charles often calls people cretins), Judi Dench (can't believe they all missed her!), and Istanbul.

FJ was nearly an instaget for me.  Took me a second to come up with Virgin, and another second to come up with Branson.  I was surprised that two of them missed it.

• Love 4

I missed FJ.  I just blanked on everything.  When he said Branson I was like duh but I could have stood here until tomorrow and it would not have come to me.

I don't understand the thought behind the champ not betting anything.

• Love 4

Congrats to Ellen, although I didn't understand her FJ wager.  She only had to bet $1 to beat Larry if he'd bet it all and was correct.  I liked Larry a lot and wish he'd done better

TS I got were cretin, Judi Dench, and Istanbul (missed DD - Jen apparently doesn't know that the Orient Express 1) doesn't go through China, and 2) isn't a bullet train, which it would have to be to get from Paris to Singapore in two days.)

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Congrats to Ellen, although I didn't understand her FJ wager.  She only had to bet $1 to beat Larry if he'd bet it all and was correct.  I liked Larry a lot and wish he'd done better

TS I got were cretin, Judi Dench, and Istanbul (missed DD - Jen apparently doesn't know that the Orient Express 1) doesn't go through China, and 2) isn't a bullet train, which it would have to be to get from Paris to Singapore in two days.)

FJ was an instaget.

Got all those too.

Company UK early inexperienced business. It was also foreshadowed a bit with the earlier clue of Weird Al's "Like a Surgeon (Virgin)." I know Rupert Murdoch, but Mackintosh? Who is that? 

Jen essentially lost after not knowing Istanbul or Constantinople.

♫ Why they changed it I can't say 
People just liked it better that way♫

She guessed Shanghai.  She also made a bonehead guess for the apparently African island of Malaysia, but that was after Larry said Indonesia. So I suppose that general area was in her head after his answer.

As for the betting, i have no idea what Ellen was thinking. I'm guessing Jen wanted to be a spoiler in case both of them went all in and were wrong. She knew Larry was going to. As you pointed out, there was no reason for Ellen to do anything but bet $1 or risk the tiebreaker

5 hours ago, SeanC said:

Scrooge McDuck is also Huey, Dewey and Louie's uncle (great-uncle).  I think that should have counted.

I'm presuming they wanted people to guess Uncle Scrooge. BTW, DuckTales is back. It's on Disney XD. Here's a link to the pilot episode. It'll air on Saturdays starting on the 23rd. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 1

I said Istanbul on the Orient Express DD.  I don't think of Turkey being in Asia.  When I said as much to my mother years ago she said "well, what continent do YOU think it should be on?"  Not nice, Mom.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I don't think of Turkey being in Asia.

Isn't it technically on two continents (Europe & Asia)? Although I think the capital is on Asia.

BTW, no Jeopardy today (Friday) in Chicago (at least not in its normal timeslot)----baseball.

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 5
On 9/15/2017 at 2:49 PM, illdoc said:

Isn't it technically on two continents (Europe & Asia)? Although I think the capital is on Asia.

BTW, no Jeopardy today (Friday) in Chicago (at least not in its normal timeslot)----baseball.

When I was in Turkey, our tour guide said that Istanbul is the only major city spanning two continents. The Bosphorus strait, which runs through Istanbul, is considered the Asia/Europe border.

Sorry about the baseball situation! I hate it when sports disrupt my TV schedule.

Today's game I felt like I was getting tons of TS, but now I can just remember the seas: Black, Yellow and Coral.

Edited by Fex
  • Love 3

Facepalm when FJ was revealed.  I couldn't come up with anything, but the answer seems so obvious.

TS I got include stationary stationery, John Dean, Black Sea, LBJ, rust, base, and penology, which sounds like something completely different than the study of prisons!

Maybe Mackintosh invented apples?

• Love 3

Got completely wrapped up in stuff the last couple of nights, but at least tonight I remembered to put the show on, just as they were going into FJ.  I've read too many crime novels over the years not to have gotten it immediately.

• Love 2

I got John Dean, Black Sea, LBJ, Bering Sea, Coral Sea, 1982, and rust.

FJ was an instaget.  It even had the words "international" and "police" in the clue.

For the clue where the answer given was "40 days", I answered quarantine.  Would that have been accepted?  I wasn't sure if they wanted the word or the word's definition.

• Love 11
52 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

For the clue where the answer given was "40 days", I answered quarantine.  Would that have been accepted?  I wasn't sure if they wanted the word or the word's definition.

I think it said "for this long."

These three did not have a good grasp of geography. And when someone guesses Sweden, Norway, and Finland and gets it wrong, no one jumps in with Sweden, Norway, and Denmark? Come on!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, dcalley said:

These three did not have a good grasp of geography. And when someone guesses Sweden, Norway, and Finland and gets it wrong, no one jumps in with Sweden, Norway, and Denmark? Come on!

I forgot about this part!  I'm truly terrible at geography, and even I guessed Yellow Sea. And yes, I could have gotten Denmark if someone had taken out Finland as an option. I suppose there are tons of you who thought Brian was an obvious answer, so I should stop feeling so superior about my better-than-terrible geography knowledge.

• Love 3

I've done very well this week with ts's and missed dd's but FJ's eluded me.  I was afraid I was going to be 0 / 5, then last night's FJ turned out to be an  instaget.

Really bummed that I missed Brian Boru - he's my favourite march:) James Galway version is the best.

Anyhow, I am glad the show is back; it was a pretty good first week.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, HavartiHead42 said:

I know I'm old now (history is easier to remember when you lived through it) but how is LBJ a triple stumper?

I was surprised it was a TS, though I did get it wrong. At least I picked someone who was president during that war. To my defense, though I did live through that time period, I was out of the country for most of LBJ's and Nixon's presidencies.

13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Got completely wrapped up in stuff the last couple of nights, but at least tonight I remembered to put the show on, just as they were going into FJ.  I've read too many crime novels over the years not to have gotten it immediately.

That's what I told the husband when I shouted it out before Alex had finished reading (don't follow the rules at home). I've read a wealth of crime novels, and watched a number of shows.

11 hours ago, dcalley said:

I lived in Europe for much of my young life, but those four always elude me when there's a question about them. Arggh.

7 hours ago, HavartiHead42 said:

I forgot about this part!  I'm truly terrible at geography, and even I guessed Yellow Sea. And yes, I could have gotten Denmark if someone had taken out Finland as an option. I suppose there are tons of you who thought Brian was an obvious answer, so I should stop feeling so superior about my better-than-terrible geography knowledge.

Never heard of Brian myself, I guess I'm incredibly weak on Irish history. I just picked the first Irish name that came to mind (Conor)

• Love 1

This is the first game of the new season in which I had a bunch of TS gets. Mine were: stationary stationery; chilly chili; missile missal; yellow sea; LBJ; Bering sea; coral sea; rust; base; and penology (which was a guess). I also got FJ. 

I think these contestants suffered from a fear of guessing after a wrong answer. A lot of times, the wrong answer narrows it down for you. For example, you know which countries are in Scandinavia and there's already been a wrong answer. Take a freaking guess! How many seas in China get asked about on Jeopardy? Take a guess! How many seas are near Alaska, which the word Aleutian should make you think of? Take a guess! 

My point is there are wild guesses, and there are educated guesses. I think this game would have been better if the contestants just made some educated guesses.

• Love 7

I need to catch up on my new season postings.  I'm so glad Jeopardy's back! 

Same here - for some reason I fell out of the groove of racing back to these boards after the games so I'm way behind and my post will be jumping around the days a bit...

After Monday's super hard FJ fiasco, I was shocked for every day after that to be an instaget, especially Hannibal because I feel like I guess him a lot on Jeopardy and I'm always wrong.

I got a lot of TS, a couple of which had personal relevance for me like steamers (shoutout to my home state Rhode Island!), Vonnegut (fave author), John Dean (hearing my dad raging about Watergate when I was a kid paid off). I'm disappointed no one got Palestine, LBJ, Denmark or Judi Dench. I only got Yellow Sea because of my Jeopardy! education.

I was cheering for Larry and bummed he missed the Portuguese DD (to me Cape Verde = Portugal + Africa is automatic, but maybe I just know that because, Rhode Island).

I can't remember the day but I'm always psyched when A Confederacy of Dunces is a clue. It's my favorite book of all time but I rarely see it mentioned outside of Jeopardy! One of the writers must be a fan. 

Finally, I thought it was pretty rude yesterday for Alex to say "How much will she win today?"before FJ was revealed. Regardless of the math, there are 2 contestants still competing; it's not just about the runaway. When she actually missed it I was hoping she'd bet more so Alex would have to eat those words.

• Love 2

Surprised that Jen was a one & done. 

I only got 2 TS Thursday - Judi Dench & Instanbul (Jen's missed DD). For FJ I was thinking historic, but it was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush.

Like many of you I got several of Friday's TS: stationery/stationary; John Dean; Black Sea; Yellow Sea; rust; base; LBJ; 1982; Norway, Sweden, Denmark

Surprised 2 of 3 missed Interpol; it was an instaget for me 

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Never heard of Brian myself, I guess I'm incredibly weak on Irish history. I just picked the first Irish name that came to mind (Conor)

I guessed Patrick

• Love 3

Boo to Monday Night Football screwing with my Jeopardy viewing. I've been a day behind, but it looks like I'm not going to get even a repeat of Friday's ep.

Anyway, for Monday night's show with the question about George O'Keefe painting a tree, I first said the writer was TS Eliot. That suddenly I thought, "Oh! TREE! It must be Joyce Kilmer." Oh well.

I nearly didn't understand Alex when he said "Saint-Tropez." It sounded like gobbledygook to me.

For Thursday's show, which I just watched, so it's fresh in my mind, I got Vonnegut, tic, Judi Dench, and the DD of Istanbul. I had not idea for FJ, though when Branson was revealed, it was a head-slapper.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Quickbeam said:

All that bible study paid off! Final Jep is mine tonight. 

I take it you were hasty in response, Quickbeam.

As for me, I had no idea.

16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I sucked tonight, though I did get Drake and Allison Krauss.

Got those too along with Dangerous Liaisons and Pollyanna. Magellan is early 1500s. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

To me, the Sopwith Camel looks more like a dog house!

I knew that because it's Snoopy's dog house! 

"Curse you, Red Baron!" - Snoopy

I also got Bismarck too. 19th century German statesman? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 4

I had no idea for FJ. I've actually never even heard of Obediah. My guess was that it ended in "-iah", but that was as far as I got.

I couldn't understand what Angela was saying half the time, so I missed a decent chunk of the show.

• Love 1

I guessed Jonah for FJ, and I too knew Sopwith Camel because of Snoopy. I also got Silver Linings PlaybookLes Liaisons Dangereuses (sp.)--gotta get that French in there!--Pollyanna, and Bismarck.

Angela's voice took some getting used to, but she played so well I hope she'll have a good run.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

All that bible study paid off! Final Jep is mine tonight. 

Eighteen years of being forced to go to Sunday School made it an instaget for me. I still resent missing all those football games though.

• Love 1