Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I missed part of the first round and all of Double Jeopardy and FJ due to weather, so please tell me that mean-looking woman in the middle didn't win.

I'm pissed that I missed one of the questions in the Men on the Moon category because, like the four clues I did see, I would've gotten it correct.  And I would've known FJ as well.

Okay, after checking J-archive, I'm even more pissed, as there were at least 3 categories I would've run.  Stupid thunderstorms/extremely heavy rain/satellite dish.  Yeah, right, satellite guy, rain won't interfere with reception anymore.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

I got 5 of the 6 languages in the FJ! category, but completely blanked on Arabic.  I didn't know it could be caligraphized.  I just invented a new word.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Caribbean capital isn't as easy as you'd think. You have a choice: Haiti's Port-au-Prince or Martinique's Fort-de-France.

Martinique isn't a sovereign nation.

1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

I got 5 of the 6 languages in the FJ! category, but completely blanked on Arabic.  I didn't know it could be caligraphized.  I just invented a new word.

The clue was cursive, not calligraphy. Anything can be in 'calligraphy'.

• Love 3
(edited)

Two clues in and everything I am seeing (and hearing) is beyond annoying.

I don’t know who said it, but “The Simpsons” was WRONG.  The title was “The Simpsons Movie.”

I do not like mythology, Alex.  FJ was beyond me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 15
(edited)

Of COURSE Larry won.  I didn't like him in his first game, and I'm still not a fan.  However, I laughed and laughed when he started DD hunting in the first round and started one clue below the DD. 

By the way, Jeopardy! clue writers, Jack In The Box is not a national chain.  There are whole swathes of the country who've never eaten at one, and don't know anything about them.  Although the clue was written such that if you've at least heard of Jack In The Box, you might be able to figure it out, but still. 

I really enjoyed the Sorta Before And After category -- some great puns there.

The only TS I got were Tiber and Alaska.  Mythology is generally lost on me, so I was clueless for FJ.  Forehead slapper after the answer was revealed, but before that?  Nothing came to me at all.

ETA: His name is not Smokey The Bear -- it's just Smokey Bear.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 13
27 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Same here. 

In the Valley category the clue dealing with Woodstock and New Paltz answer that was accepted was Hudson. I know there’s been some discussion about if part of the name is in the category, then you don’t always have to use it in your answer applies, but I lived up that way ages ago and it sounds weird if it’s not being called the Hudson River Valley. 

I didn’t do well tonight. Distracted by other stuff. I also noticed that it’s 8pm and I haven’t eaten today. Add low sugar to my diagnosis. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/14/2018 at 9:30 PM, DrSpaceman said:

I have never heard the word netiquette

IME it seems like netiquette is one of those terms that has come and gone.  If you started being familiar with the internet within a certain time period, you've heard it, before and after that point, not.  Maybe sort of in the same category as listserve.

Yikes, I just reread my comment and realized I basically said "before your time" . Mea culpa!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Second thoughts!
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Two clues in and everything I am seeing (and hearing) is beyond annoying.

I don’t know who said it, but “The Simpsons” was WRONG.  The title was “The Simpsons Movie.”

Katherine was another slowpoke and Jake seemed to be trying too hard to be fun, but I liked Larry OK, board hopping and all. I like his "Mister Rogers" vibe. But I'm still going to root for Claire in the finals.

Those cartoon voiceover questions were my worst category, but Mythology is one of my all time favorites. It was an instaget for me, and I was surprised only Larry got it. "Athena" was just weird; I guess Katherine was thinking about Athena coming from Zeus's head. And I laughed at the thought of Menelaus and Ulysses being blown out of Mount vesuvius.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

This totally irked me too. Unless Homer did that song on one of the episodes, it was from "The Simpsons Movie." Not "The Simpsons."

37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

By the way, Jeopardy! clue writers, Jack In The Box is not a national chain.  There are whole swathes of the country who've never eaten at one, and don't know anything about them.  Although the clue was written such that if you've at least heard of Jack In The Box, you might be able to figure it out, but still. 

I've had Jack In The Box when I've been to St. Louis so I didn't give it a thought, but you are correct, Browncoat, it is not a national chain and my guess is people who do not travel, nor travel far if they do, have never heard of it. I'm always surprised at how many people have never left their hometown much less their state. Outside of the St. Louis area, there are none in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kansas ... I could go on for 25 more states. BTW, I understand JITB tacos are the best. So I've heard!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

All it takes is one asshat starting in the middle of categories or with high dollar clues to throw everything off.  I'm looking at you, Larry.  I'm hoping he flames out in the finals.  #TeamClaire

Those Darn Etruscans!  Drink!

I got Alaska, Seattle, and necklaces.

I had to think a bit for FJ and then yelled, of course!  Two out of three this week.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Mount Vesuvius answer tickled me because that was a real mountain, yeah?

Yes. It's not unusual for Greek myths to be set in real places. Mount Olympus is an actual mountain in Greece, also.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I also drew a blank. I loved mythology when I was studying it but -- at least as far as Jeopardy! is concerned -- I haven't retained as much as I thought.

I got the Alaska TS and the missed Tiber DD.

Damn it, Larry. From day one I was rooting for you but what is up with picking from the middle, even after the DD was found?? 

I'll still be happy if either Larry or Clare wins. Looks to be a very competitive Finals!

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Damn it, Larry. From day one I was rooting for you but what is up with picking from the middle, even after the DD was found?? 

Board jumping doesn't usually bother me, but it does when the DD has been found and the person is bouncing all over the board. If you are going to jump, go for the Big Money (Big Money). I had to look away so it didn't make me (more) cranky.

• Love 7

Two more games with Mr. Rogers?  Fanfreakintastic!  Why can't I have nice things?

No clue for FJ tonight.  Mythology is pretty much like opera for me.  $0 bet.  I did get FJ the other two days this week.

Winnie Ille Pu sounds all kinds of adorable because, big Pooh fan.  Not that I could read a word.  Oh, bother!!

20 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Board jumping doesn't usually bother me, but it does when the DD has been found and the person is bouncing all over the board. If you are going to jump, go for the Big Money (Big Money). I had to look away so it didn't make me (more) cranky.

It usually does bother me, so I was twice as bothered tonight with Mr. Rogers and his shenanigans.  

• Love 6

No, Alex, I do not love the mythology category; in fact, religion/mythology is probably my least favorite.  I could have sat here until I started to rot and never thought to guess Trojan Horse for FJ.

I came in just before the first commercial break, right in time for the etiquette question about responding to someone who has sneezed, and is the answer really “God bless you” rather than “Bless you”?  That doesn’t sound right.  I imagine either one would have been accepted, and what's commonly said varies by region.

Really, show, putting a line with “Butch” in it and asking for the film in DJ (or at all, but in the DJ of a tournament is extra)?!

I enjoyed Katherine’s amusement at Frank Lloyd Wright Said Fred, and her imitation when she first read the name of the Valley category.

Why does it matter that Jack in the Box isn't a national chain; lots of clues deal with things that only exist in a certain part of the country (or another part of the world).  In that same category, one of the answer's was Carl's Jr., so if you live in Hardee's country, you have to know that its western U.S. name is Carl's Jr., and just in general there are plenty of clues about cities, landmarks, attractions, etc. that any given contestant may very well not know of from personal experience, but from travel, study, or word of mouth.

• Love 12
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Really, show, putting a line with “Butch” in it and asking for the film in DJ (or at all, but in the DJ of a tournament is extra)?!

They also had BK in a fast food Burger King clue.

Edited by opus
  • Love 10

I like mythology, though I've forgotten a lot of what I learned years and years ago. For FJ, Trojan Horse occurred to me, but I didn't think Ulysses was in it. 

The two TSs I got were Samurai Jack and necklaces.

I always get Velazquez and El Greco mixed up. 

I liked the "Vladimir Putin on the Ritz" pun, but that was cheating a bit since the word in the song is "Puttin'" which is both spelled and said differently from Putin.

Go Claire!!!

• Love 7

I got Seattle.  Don't remember the other book, but loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain" even though much of it is so sad.

I'll be happy to see Larry play again; I liked him.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, opus said:

I meant to mention that, too - that was annoying, and there was enough in the clue without it.  I don't eat fast food other than, about once a year, "treating" myself to a Super Star w/cheese from Carl's Jr. and fries from McDonalds, but I ran that category, just from commercials, road trips, and cultural osmosis. 

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, Alex, I do not love the mythology category; in fact, religion/mythology is probably my least favorite.  I could have sat here until I started to rot and never thought to guess Trojan Horse for FJ.

I figured it out from a womb of pine. It sounded really weird until I thought about it for about 5 seconds.

37 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Go Claire!!!

I hope she wins too. 

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I got Seattle.  Don't remember the other book, but loved "The Art of Racing in the Rain" even though much of it is so sad.

I also got Seattle, and I was a sobbing mess by the end of that book. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, whinewithwine said:

In the Tex-Mex world I live in...they suck.  

I crave them when I'm drunk, which isn't often these days. There's one around the corner from my house. I like their sourdough breakfast sandwiches. I think it was a fair clue since it led you to Jack. We didn't have them in PA but I'd heard of the chain before moving to AZ. 

I didn't write down my gets because I watched late. It's our anniversary! We celebrated another year of not killing each other. 

Jake from State Farm was totally annoying to me. Katherine was okay but slow to choose. Larry was fine, but I am rooting for Claire. 

1 hour ago, whinewithwine said:

I'll take the Mex part only. Tucson has the best Mexican food I've ever tasted. I can't get into Tex-Mex. 

BTW I asked for Those Darn Etruscans a few weeks ago when we were discussing old categories we missed. The Jeopardy gods smiled upon me. I love that category! 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 10

I’m curious what people think qualifies something as a national chain. Looks like Jack in the Box is in 21 states and spread across the country. I know they’ve done Super Bowl ads, but now I’m wondering if those are shown in all markets. 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Pallida said:

I’m curious what people think qualifies something as a national chain. Looks like Jack in the Box is in 21 states and spread across the country. I know they’ve done Super Bowl ads, but now I’m wondering if those are shown in all markets. 

I don’t think only 21 states, mostly in the west, counts, particularly since there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent here, unlike Hardee’s and Carl Jr.

7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I liked the "Vladimir Putin on the Ritz" pun, but that was cheating a bit since the word in the song is "Puttin'" which is both spelled and said differently from Putin.

Go Claire!!!

The category was “Sorta Before And After” — all the answers were just slightly off like that.

ETA: Look at me, making quotes with my iPad!  

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, teebax said:

BTW I asked for Those Darn Etruscans a few weeks ago when we were discussing old categories we missed

I remembered that and was happy for you. So happy for Etruscans and Happy Anniversary. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Back to the past, Samurai Jack! Loved that show when it was first on and had the extreme pleasure of introducing it to my son in the recent final season. He usually opposes whatever stuff Mommy and Daddy are into, so it was fun to share this with him.

The FJ took some thinking, but I eventually got it from Menelaus, although I probably wouldn't have gotten it written down in time. Ulysses was kind of a red herring since he did so much stuff, but Menelaus is pretty much just associated with the Trojan War. (He was Helen's husband before she ran away with Paris.) I was a little annoyed that they used the name "Ulysses" in the clue rather than Odysseus. Odysseus is the guy from the Odyssey. Ulysses is a novel by James Joyce. Yes, Ulysses is the Latin version of the name, but it isn't really used much any more to refer to the ancient Greek hero.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don’t think only 21 states, mostly in the west, counts, particularly since there doesn’t seem to be an equivalent here, unlike Hardee’s and Carl Jr.

The category was “Sorta Before And After” — all the answers were just slightly off like that.

Yes......Which is why Smokey THE bear Necessities was OK when he is really just Smokey Bear

But to whoever mentioned it, the proper name is indeed The Simpsons Movie, so that one should have been wrong, he just said The Simpsons.

Was excited to see an Elf clue. 

And I am wondering how that teacher gets famous people to do interviews. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, SweetSable said:

Someone upthread posted that 'oma' = cancer.  That's not correct - 'oma' = tumor, and tumors can be benign. 

True. But if I recall correctly (and there's a good chance I'm not), the clue had the word "sarcoma" in it - which is indeed a malignant tumor.

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

IME it seems like netiquette is one of those terms that has come and gone.  If you started being familiar with the internet within a certain time period, you've heard it, before and after that point, not.  Maybe sort of in the same category as listserve.

I remember netiquette - but of course, the term - and concept of the behavior it refers to, has long since faded away.

10 hours ago, opus said:

And "Butch" in the Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid quote (they could have gone with "Think you've used enough dynamite there...")

• Love 6
On 5/15/2018 at 4:39 PM, saber5055 said:

That was still better than me yelling "Huey Lewis."

I laughed my way into a coughing fit (recovering from a cold). So I'm not sure whether or not to thank you for the laugh. :)

On 5/15/2018 at 5:37 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay Claire!  Yay Latin!  This game made me anxious.  Judy acted like she was swimming in molasses and Rachel was too brusque.  Claire was nice and normal.  I'd like to see her win the whole thing.

A picture of Jerry Lewis?  Gimme a break.

I got French Guyana and Dashiell Hammett.

FJ was an instaget.  Yay!

I've tried to scrub Jerry Lewis' image out of my mind (personal distaste) - and damn, there he is again. But his picture may well be not that known to this generation - unless they grew up in France.

I got the "other one" I chose Raymond Chandler. I always choose the wrong one of the two.

• Love 3

Again with the weird timing of questions and celebrity deaths....   I don't recall the exact question, but it was Lois Lane-related.  Weird, since Margot Kidder just passed away.  

• Love 6
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

BTW, I understand JITB tacos are the best. So I've heard!

I shouldn't, but I quite like them. Weird meat, American cheese... but it works for me. On the day of my wedding, my brother went and got a big bag of tacos for us to share as we all got ready.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ohhh. Thanks. I missed that. I'll have to go back and see what the other clues were.

Good for you! 

• Love 4

I've tried to scrub Jerry Lewis' image out of my mind (personal distaste) - and damn, there he is again. But his picture may well be not that known to this generation - unless they grew up in France.

I got the "other one" I chose Raymond Chandler. I always choose the wrong one of the two.

I honestly know nothing about Jerry Lewis other than :

The MDA telethon and

He was a comedian that is weirdly referenced in TVs (most often the Simpsons) and movies in popular culture. 

I have never seen any of his stand up or his movies

But I know his picture somehow, which is weird. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, teebax said:

I didn't write down my gets because I watched late. It's our anniversary! We celebrated another year of not killing each other. 

Bawahaha!  This cracked me up.  Congratulations!

• Love 5

@DrSpaceman, your life is better not having seen Jerry Lewis movies.    I hate him.  We had JITB in Chicago in the 70s.  Many a night we'd stop for tacos after cruising the neighborhood.  What can I say, I was in high school!

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Bawahaha!  This cracked me up.  Congratulations!

Ditto! Or should I say mimeo?

(Don't know how to also quote Teebax's original line, "We celebrated another year of not killing each other.")

Reminds me of my fave definition of marriage: the opportunity to drive another person insane every day for the rest of your life.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

Why does it matter that Jack in the Box isn't a national chain; lots of clues deal with things that only exist in a certain part of the country (or another part of the world).  In that same category, one of the answer's was Carl's Jr., so if you live in Hardee's country, you have to know that its western U.S. name is Carl's Jr., and just in general there are plenty of clues about cities, landmarks, attractions, etc. that any given contestant may very well not know of from personal experience, but from travel, study, or word of mouth.

True, and thanks for reminding me to think in a different way about such a generic everyman topic as Fast Food. Although the Hardee's example isn't the best. I'm in Hardee's country (my first job out of college was at an ad agency and my account was Hardee's) and the television commercials/print inserts (in this market anyway) promote both Hardee's, Carl's Jr. as well as the star. I just saw a commercial yesterday and that Hardee's/Carl's Jr. star was jumping all over my tv screen. The Hardee's name will eventually go away.

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

I came in just before the first commercial break, right in time for the etiquette question about responding to someone who has sneezed, and is the answer really “God bless you” rather than “Bless you”?  That doesn’t sound right.  I imagine either one would have been accepted, and what's commonly said varies by region.

Because the clue said it would also be appropriate to be said to an atheist, I think "God" was suppose to be included. Although one never knows with the crummy judging these days. I wonder if "gesundheit" would have been accepted since it means "good luck, God bless you."

13 hours ago, teebax said:
14 hours ago, whinewithwine said:

In the Tex-Mex world I live in...they suck.  

I crave them when I'm drunk, which isn't often these days.

I've never had them because the picture looks gross since they are flat and deep fried, but a radio show host talks about them being delicious, which I guess they would be, maybe sorta kinda like egg rolls or something. Perfect to eat on the way home from a "night out," right Teebax? I will try them if I'm ever in JITB territory again.

13 hours ago, teebax said:

It's our anniversary! We celebrated another year of not killing each other. 

LOL, and congratulations Teebax!

11 hours ago, Pallida said:

I have never seen one, and I watch all the Super Bowl ads.

3 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I honestly know nothing about Jerry Lewis other than :

I guess he was Before Your Time. (Drink!)

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I shouldn't, but I quite like them. Weird meat, American cheese... but it works for me. On the day of my wedding, my brother went and got a big bag of tacos for us to share as we all got ready.

You have a great brother. Nothing like a bunch of JITB tacos to make a wedding (and the "You may kiss the bride") memorable!

• Love 5

BTW, I understand JITB tacos are the best. So I've heard!

WAY back when, I remember that JITB used to actually fry their taco shells, and those were good and greasy tacos.  

I don't think JITB has been in Michigan for more than 30 years, though. 

Count me with the anti-Mythology crowd

• Love 4

No Jack-in-the-Box, Hardee's or Carl Jr.'s here in the Chicago area. Is "Big Boy" a restaurant too? None here either. We do, however, have a bunch of White Castles.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

White Castle rocks.  THE best.

Oh yeah. My Dad once drove 25 miles out of our way coming home to make a stop at the White Castle. My memory says yummy. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Is "Big Boy" a restaurant too?

I believe Big Boy is known more as a sit-down place, like a Village Inn or IHOP type. They do have different names though. It was Frisch's Big Boy in Ohio where I went to college, then Bob's Big Boy other places which confused me as I was used to calling it just Frisch's. All have the iconic red-checkered-pants-wearing Big Boy statue though, which is really cool. And there's a great history behind The Boy statue as well. Too much to put here! Big Boy is only in four or five states I think.

My last bag of White Castle sliders was rather disappointing, so I'm over it. However, I believe WC was the inventor of The Slider, so there's that! Every place has them now. (Copy cats.)

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I believe Big Boy is known more as a sit-down place, like a Village Inn or IHOP type. They do have different names though. It was Frisch's Big Boy in Ohio where I went to college, then Bob's Big Boy other places which confused me as I was used to calling it just Frisch's. All have the iconic red-checkered-pants-wearing Big Boy statue though, which is really cool. And there's a great history behind The Boy statue as well. Too much to put here! Big Boy is only in four or five states I think.

My last bag of White Castle sliders was rather disappointing, so I'm over it. However, I believe WC was the inventor of The Slider, so there's that! Every place has them now. (Copy cats.)

Aw, now you're tugging on my childhood's heart strings! We always went to Bob's Big Boy for special occasions. Loved the free comic book which also had BB's friend Dolly and dog Nugget. Sniff..... There are no BBs left in my area but a resourceful homeowner somehow got the statue of BB that was in the front of one of the restaurants and he displays it proudly. 

• Love 1