Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, he did laugh at himself, so that made me think more kindly of him.

Yup, there's a difference between when they smugly think they're right and when they immediately realize they're going to be on YouTube

• Love 5
(edited)
28 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I do know that I don't like driving in Pennsylvania -- it takes DAYS to get through, it's the longest state.

I know. It's wide, long, and mountainous. I think it's that it's one of the largest states on the east coast. I looked it up and technically, New York has more square feet, but PA is blockier, so it feels like it takes forever to drive through. North Carolina is big too. Not compared to states like Texas or Montana, but still big compared to most eastern states.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Jake Gyllenhaal

BMS, please, says Trebek.

1 minute ago, Trey said:

I doubt either of the losers from last night will make it to semi-finals

So far Claire, from the first day, is leading for the Wild Card spot on Jeopardy.com. One guy who had a total of "0" is shown as No. 5 Wild Card!

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Color me dumbly stupid. I know the Wyeths were part of the Bradywine School but "ass"umed it was in New England. I've driven to the Philadelphia area more times than I can count, and have done some sightseeing (Gettysburg) on the way home. I didn't know until now (Thanks Mondianyone!) that the Brandywine Museum is a short distance from where I have been. Duh. I do know that I don't like driving in Pennsylvania -- it takes DAYS to get through, it's the longest state. Just like West Virginia is a driver's nightmare, it takes forever to get out of there once you venture in.

Maybe you were thinking of the Farnsworth Museum, Saber.  That is in my neck of the woods--it's in Rockland, Maine, home to the original Robert Indiana LOVE sign--and it has a great collection of American artists, including the Wyeth boys.  Farnsworth also owns the farmhouse and surrounding land where Christina's World was painted, which you can visit.

I vote for Florida.  If you could hang yourself in a car, I'd be dead a hundred times over.

And also add me to the sad list that Erika seemed not to know much about A-A history.  James Meredith is one of the people who made her life possible.  Is this not being taught anymore?  It seems like just yesterday that A-A studies actually became a thing in schools.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Because I actually typed Gary Indiana! I'm insane!
  • Love 6
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Color me dumbly stupid. I know the Wyeths were part of the Bradywine School but "ass"umed it was in New England. I've driven to the Philadelphia area more times than I can count, and have done some sightseeing (Gettysburg) on the way home. I didn't know until now (Thanks Mondianyone!) that the Brandywine Museum is a short distance from where I have been. Duh. I do know that I don't like driving in Pennsylvania -- it takes DAYS to get through, it's the longest state. Just like West Virginia is a driver's nightmare, it takes forever to get out of there once you venture in.

I conducted some fieldwork in the Gettysburg area, so I got paid to sightsee! I enjoyed that area, but I'm glad I didn't have to fly into Philadelphia to go there. I'm gonna have to say PA isn't all that big though... This West Coast girl has to tease you some more!

I legitimately got into an argument with someone who blamed Californians for being misleading by calling San Francisco "northern California." One of the arguments given was "you can't drive 6 hours and still be in the north." Geography be damned, I guess? Same person thought it was absurd I asked about whether the state should be broken up into three sections instead of just "northern" and "southern" since it's so big. Of course, this person hadn't driven from SF to southern California and was just being a poutyface because he got called out for not looking at a map properly.

Long drives are miserable, regardless of how many state boundaries crossed though.

• Love 3

I finally was able to watch last night's game!  I went to see Avengers: Infinity War last night, and it was too late when I got home to catch up on Jeopardy!

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The DD of The Lottery was brainlessly easy. He had to be kicking himself he only bet $1,000.

I was astonished that that was a DD.  Way too easy.

FJ last night was an instaget for me -- it helps that I've been to London and seen it, though.  I also got The Gold Rush, Ain't She Sweet, and lexicographer.

I do know that I don't like driving in Pennsylvania -- it takes DAYS to get through, it's the longest state.

I'll see your Pennsylvania and raise you Tennessee on I40.  You know it's a long state when it's in two time zones!   Although it felt like it took about a week to drive across Montana -- we could see those mountains on the horizon, but they never seemed to get closer....

• Love 8

This was the first instaget FJ for me this week. I was surprised that only one person got it, and that it wasn't the opera singer. In fairness to her, how often is the opera performed and not just the overture?

I rooted for Scott; something about Judy's voice bugged. I was sure she was toast when she blanked repeatedly and was briefly in the red, but good for her (heh) for that comeback.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, SuperCam1 said:

Mary Alice got cocky when Opera came up in Final Jeopardy and left with egg on her face.

Also the added pressure of Alex strongly suggesting she would get it.

It's like if the category was 'Ripping on Alex Trebek' and Alex telling the previously.tv board "You guys can't miss "

• Love 13

At least the middle guy made a smart bet -- he's very likely to get a wild card spot with that score.  I probably would have bet similarly, and been happy about it, because I had zero clue for FJ. 

I did get a lot of the great many TS tonight, though, including either, Louisiana, Tennessee, The Shaggy Dog, hitch, which, Ronan Farrow, and wildebeest.

Alex said "genre"!  Drink!

• Love 7

I didn't get many TS's tonight - just hitch and which. I suppose the galop should have been the clue for William Tell (the Lone Ranger galloping on his horse), but to be frank I didn't even know the William Tell Overture was from an opera. Although now that I think about it, what else could an overture be for?

Scottie was a hottie for sure. And he'll definitely be back for the finals, with that score. Poor Mary Alice. I liked her but yeah, she really got sucked in by the category. It would have been better to bet conservatively and either hope the others missed it or try for a wild card spot. Darn Alex.

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, opus said:

It's like if the category was 'Ripping on Alex Trebek' and Alex telling the previously.tv board "You guys can't miss "

yeah Alex seems to do that whenever a Final Jeopardy appears to be in someone wheelhouse and its usually ends up like what happened to Mary Tonight.

• Love 3

I was doing well until FJ. I'm glad an English teacher won. Although I'm a Phillies fan, I adore Mike Trout, so I liked Judy's interview. 

I had either, Louisiana, Tennessee, Iger, which, Harry Hamlin, CBS This Morning, Ladd, and Ronan Farrow. I had no clue on final. 

• Love 7

I’m all in to see Scott again. He’s easy on the eyes and ears. He also ran the Literature category (inc the DD). 

Oops MaryAlice, you probably over thought it but I thought it was easy and an instaget. 

The TS’s I got were: The Shaggy Dog, which, Harry Hamlin, CBS This Morning, Diane Ladd, Ronan Farrow, and wildebeests. 

• Love 3

OK, everyone knows Mrs. Obama does not pronounce her first name "ME-shell." But not Alex!

One of the Disney questions asked something about a dog movie and I think Alex said "The Shaggy Dog" after no one answered, but wasn't the Disney movie "The Shaggy D.A."?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Pallida said:

I legitimately got into an argument with someone who blamed Californians for being misleading by calling San Francisco "northern California." One of the arguments given was "you can't drive 6 hours and still be in the north." Geography be damned, I guess? Same person thought it was absurd I asked about whether the state should be broken up into three sections instead of just "northern" and "southern" since it's so big. Of course, this person hadn't driven from SF to southern California and was just being a poutyface because he got called out for not looking at a map properly.

I’ve had this argument as well, but from the opposing side. While it’s not completely inaccurate to label San Francisco as “northern California,” I feel like the designation ignores a huge section of the state which lies above that city (maybe because I live in Humboldt County). If we drew an imaginary line across California to divide it in two, San Francisco wouldn’t be very far above this line. And if we divided the state into threes, San Francisco would be in the middle section, not the top (northern) section. 

That was my argument, anyway. I don’t think I would use the one about driving, since it doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The English teacher, who seemed to know nothing about pronouns, and was a champion Goofy Guesser won.  Meh.  Hopefully, Scott will get in on a wildcard.  He was very good looking, and thankfully (to me anyway) looked nothing like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling.  They are both unattractive to me because they have extremely creepy eyes.

I got either, Louisiana, The Shaggy Dog (I loved that movie as a kid), which, Harry Hamlin, CBS This Morning, Diane Ladd, Ronan Farrow, and wildebeests.

I could have read the FJ clue for a week and never come up with FJ.  Mary Alice was cursed by the Trebek Jinx.

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, SHD said:

One of the Disney questions asked something about a dog movie and I think Alex said "The Shaggy Dog" after no one answered, but wasn't the Disney movie "The Shaggy D.A."?

I can answer that. The Shaggy Dog was the original movie (1959) where Tommy Kirk was cursed by a ring and would periodically turn into a sheepdog. It was remade in 2006. The follow up movie was The Shaggy DA (1976) where Dean Jones is a grown up Tommy Kirk. He's a lawyer who turns into the dog at some inopportune times. I saw the original movie at the theater! I think tickets were a quarter or fifty cents, and popcorn a dime.

• Love 8
(edited)
20 minutes ago, SHD said:

The Shaggy Dog came out in 1959.  It's sequel, The Shaggy D.A., came out in 1976.

Oops!  @saber5055 beat me to it!  I saw it in the theater, too!

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 5

To expound on The Shaggy Dog, the clue said the dog was a "Bratislavian sheepdog," which was the kind of dog owned by the cursed boy Wilby's friend Francesca. In reality, the dog was an Old English Sheepdog. A Bearded Collie played the dog in the 2006 remake, which totally ruined it IMO. The Shaggy Dog was Disney's first live-action film.

And now you know. Whether you wanted to or not.

• Love 7
(edited)
39 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

So that was you behind me kicking my seat?

42 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

He was very good looking, and thankfully (to me anyway) looked nothing like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling.  They are both unattractive to me because they have extremely creepy eyes.

I think they both have dreamy bedroom eyes. Which might explain why I've dated nothing but creeps.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

Mary Alice looked like a brunette version of Kate McKinnon whenever she smiled. I saw the Gyllenhaal/Gosling combo in Scott so it was like three celebrities duking it out through two people.

Opera as the FJ category - I wouldn't have even bet the $500.

• Love 3

Louisiana as a TS, seriously?  Even if they haven’t been to The Cabildo, or to New Orleans, period, how does not one of three teachers good enough to be on J! make the Napoleon-Louisiana connection in that category?!

Which (that vs. which in the pronouns category) also surprised me, as did Ronan Farrow (given how his reporting recently loomed large in the news - probably rather recently when this was filmed), but Louisiana had me muttering and grumbling through the commercial break.

Harry Hamlin surprised me a bit, too, just in the sense that if I know a celebrity marriage exists, I figure most of the population does, too.  Usually, there’s an “I can’t believe they broke up!” or “Well, who didn’t see that coming?” post in the Celebrity News topic and I think, “They were married?” (or, sometimes, “Who is that?”).

Grassroots was ridiculously over-valued as a DD in DJ.

I was dreading FJ based on the category, but apparently some part of my brain knows the only part of the overture I know is called the galop (and that is the only galop in my mind), so I correctly guessed it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And Alex said, "Hell-LOOOOO!" Drink!

2 hours ago, SHD said:

Yeah, I said The Shaggy DA. I was thinking that wasn't right.

I got Louisiana, Iger, which, Diane Ladd, Ronan Farrow (currently in the news), and gnus (hee), otherwise known as wildebeests. I also got the DD of Tennessee. I could picture Harry Hamlin but not remember his name.

I did not get FJ. I focused on the alps and thought there might be an opera called Heidi. Lots of yodeling perhaps? 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The Shaggy Dog came out in 1959.  It's sequel, The Shaggy D.A., came out in 1976.

Thanks to both of you, @CarpeDiem54 and @saber5055! That tracks...'76 was more my youngster era. I saw the year in the clue but just assumed I had seen a Disney re-release years later.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

This was the first instaget FJ for me this week. I was surprised that only one person got it, and that it wasn't the opera singer. In fairness to her, how often is the opera performed and not just the overture?

I got it primarily because I knew the William Tell story took place in the Alps - I didn't know it was an opera (thought it was a symphony), but took a stab at it anyway.

1 minute ago, peeayebee said:

I could picture Harry Hamlin but not remember his name.

I did not get FJ. I focused on the alps and thought there might be an opera called Heidi. Lots of yodeling perhaps? 

I mumbled something at the last second that sounded like "Hammy Hammon"

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And Alex said, "Hell-LOOOOO!" Drink!

Scott: I lived in Mexico where I taught English. Trebek: Good for you. Me: DRINK!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I rooted for Scott; something about Judy's voice bugged. 

This!  Plus, she was slow as molasses in January.  Pick up the pace, lady.

4 hours ago, Pallida said:

Long drives are miserable, regardless of how many state boundaries crossed though.

I've done the ocean to ocean drive twice.  Once by myself.  PA does take forever to get through, middle America was boring as hell (nothing but cows and corn fields), the Rockies almost killed my car, Vegas was very shiny, then YAY!, I finally hit CA. I went the southern route on the way back.  

2 hours ago, teebax said:

Although I'm a Phillies fan, I adore Mike Trout, so I liked Judy's interview. 

One day, he'll wear the uniform.  

I got The Shaggy Dog, Harry Hamlin, and Ronan Farrow, when I was actually paying attention. Judy bugged, so I blame her for my inability to focus. Opera = Instant $0 bet.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, opus said:

It's like if the category was 'Ripping on Alex Trebek' and Alex telling the previously.tv board "You guys can't miss"

That's gold, Opus, gold I tell you.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I fe;t compelled to root for someone with the same name as me. With that safe bet, I'm guessing he'll be a wild card. 

Opera set in the Alps. I know most of the time we think of William Tell as the guy who shot the apple off his son's head and Rossini's overture is the theme to the Lone Ranger, but I did remember he was a Swiss folk hero so I got it.

54 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I mumbled something at the last second that sounded like "Hammy Hammon"

2 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Were you eating peanut butter?

Aaron Burr? Got Milk?

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get a lot of the great many TS tonight, though, including either, Louisiana, Tennessee, The Shaggy Dog, hitch, which, Ronan Farrow, and wildebeest.

Got most of those. I thought of Old Yeller instead of The Shaggy Dog. 

• Love 2

I feel certain we will see hottie Scottie in the quarter finals. Mary Alice thought she had it in the bag with FJ. 

TS I got were Louisiana, Tennessee (M-A's DD; and she answered LA when that was the answer to the previous clue. Focus Mary Alice!), The Shaggy Dog, which, Harry Hamlin, CBS This Morning, Diane Ladd, Ronan Farrow. Getting to the FJ answer was a 5 minute comedy of errors in our living room. I won't even get into details, but Dr. Toothbrush got the gallop/Lone Ranger clue pretty quickly, but he thought it was the 1812 Overture, and we (w)racked our brains to figure out what opera it was from. When the Alps portion of the clue finally registered, I got it, but 4.5 minutes too late. Opera = automatic $0 wager from me too. 

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thank you Timeless for me knowing Robert Johnson was King of the Delta Blues. (I love that show.)

I love it too. His album being produced by Lando Calrissian..lol

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Scott: I lived in Mexico where I taught English. Trebek: Good for you. Me: DRINK!

I think he told Mary Alice 'good for you' also. Boozy game tonight!

• Love 8

I had absolutely no crush-able teachers throughout my entire educational years. *sigh*

I had one. Took a course in creative writing at the U of Wisconsin. We were required to write a couple of pages from a WIP (Work in Progress). I wrote a sex scene, but was too embarrassed to write penis, so I called it "his thing" (she fondled his thing...)

My crush-able professor gave me a single spaced, George Carlin-ish page of euphemisms for "thing" (penis).

Obviously, I've never forgotten him :)   

• Love 11
(edited)

Speaking of The Shaggy Dog, I wonder whatever happened to Tommy Kirk?

Apparently, I wasn't paying attention - I thought her name was Mary Ellen.

ETA: Reading about Kirk on Wikipedia - Old Yeller was made in 57; Shaggy Dog in 59, so SD was NOT Disney's first feature-length film.  You'd probably think so because SD is black & white & OY is in color, but it's not so.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

ETA: Reading about Kirk on Wikipedia - Old Yeller was made in 57; Shaggy Dog in 59, so SD was NOT Disney's first feature-length film.  You'd probably think so because SD is black & white & OY is in color, but it's not so.

I was wrong about SD being the first live-action Disney film, even though I did read that somewhere. First was Treasure Island (1950). Then 10 more before Old Yeller, Disney's 12th live action. The Shaggy Dog is No. 16. Not even close to first!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, lb60 said:

Plus, she was slow as molasses in January.  Pick up the pace, lady.

I said exactly that to the TV! She reminded Mr. Mookster of Patricia Neal, whom I used to love. Judy not so much.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

My crush-able professor gave me a single spaced, George Carlin-ish page of euphemisms for "thing" (penis).

I have to ask: Do you still have that sheet of paper? Great story though, and nervy of you to use a sex scene for your submission. I bet that teacher still remembers you as well!

OOoooh! Today we have a French teacher! I hope she and Trebek get in a French-off. Meanwhile, Scott is No. 1 wild card, Claire, from the first day, is No. 2. Looking good for getting to see Mr. Dreamy/Creepy Eyes again.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Why did Jeopardy use the spelling galop? Even my autocorrect wants it to be spelled gallop. I’m a horse person and I’ve never seen this misspelling unless it’s due to the translation from its original title in French. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, lb60 said:

This!  Plus, she was slow as molasses in January.  Pick up the pace, lady.

Yet they managed to clear the board. How does that happen?

I got Louisiana (based on Napoleon being French, I had no idea his death mask was there), Tennessee (since that's where Jackson lived), bowline knot (because: girl scout. Although we say it bow-line, but I checked and it's that plus Trebek's bow-lyn), Harry Hamlin (because Lisa Renna used to be all over pop media), Ronan Farrow (he freaking broke the Harvey Weinstein story), wildebeest (because: animal categories rule).

I was irritated with the Differs By A Vowel category letting people flip answers opposite of the clue. "Furrow/farrow" should have been "farrow/furrow." Let's tighten up judging, judges.

What was up with Scott running a category and finding the DD there, then betting $500? Makes no sense. It also makes no dollars.

Trebek was on a 1989 Johnny Carson (Kit's great-grand nephew) rerun last night, mediating between a high school quiz bowl winning team and the Tonight Show team. Ending score was 9-1 teens, but I LOL several times. Trebek had dark grey hair in a bit of an '80s 'fro. Carson razzed him for being too funny and upstaging him a bit.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yet they managed to clear the board. How does that happen?

I've heard that they have to clear the board in the quarterfinals of tournaments in order to give everyone a fair shot at the wild card slots.

• Love 9
On ‎04‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

I got Banzai and netsuke, and I think there was another one or two in there somewhere, but I got distracted by this crazy bird who has started pecking on my house when he's not attacking one of the windows.  I know, he's really attacking his reflection (it's a rival!  must kill!), but it's annoying.  And distracting!

I've got a cardinal who has decided that there must be a whole flock of other cardinals in my bathroom window.  My cats are really freaked out by it.

On ‎04‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:50 PM, Kathira said:

got banzai, but not netsuke.

I actually have a small collection of netsuke.  Took me awhile to wrap my head around the pronunciation.

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:08 PM, illdoc said:

Apparently it was, since all 3 contestants missed it!!! I thought it was an insta-get---"55, Roman numerals" should lead you to LV immediately, which should lead you to Louis Vitton!    I also feel that the contestant should have gotten a BMS (or been ruled incorrect) for merely answering "Samoa". Isn't the name "American Samoa"? True "American" (in quotes) was part of the clue, but that's never stopped them before.

I knew Louis Vuitton made expensive luggage.  The Roman numeral thing went right over my head; heck, I didn't know that 'L' was 50.

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:53 PM, Clanstarling said:

I talked myself out of netsuke, given that most of the ones I've seen weren't appropriate for prime time tv. (you might want to be careful about Googling)

Erotic netsuke are quite the sub-genre.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Thanks @Mondrianyone  I learn so much reading this thread. 

You're welcome.  And so do I.

I have autocorrect turned off on every device I own.  It's embarrassed me more often than it helps me.  It has a somewhat limited intelligence.  ;o)

• Love 5
On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, SHD said:

I'm sure it has never happened before where two days in a row I know FJ and none of the contestants did. None of them has heard the Hamilton soundtrack?

Who is the Lewis that two people guessed? Is that a logical miss and I just don't get what their thought process was?

New champ seems sharp, but he kept picking a clue and then quickly looking down. Maybe just nerves.

I've never heard anything from Hamilton, but I knew that Aaron Burr had a daughter named Theodosia who was lost at sea on her way from Charleston to New York to visit her father.

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, Browncoat said:

I despise Nutella -- unpopular opinion of the day!  It's the ruination of good chocolate by icky hazelnuts.

Philistine!  (I kid, I kid.  Just means more for me.)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Why did Jeopardy use the spelling galop? Even my autocorrect wants it to be spelled gallop. I’m a horse person and I’ve never seen this misspelling unless it’s due to the translation from its original title in French. 

Thanks for asking about this. At the time I was wondering, too, and it threw me off even considering 'gallop' to be a hint, which I assume was intended, pun-wise. And thanks, Mondrianyone, for the explanation.

I was irritated with the Differs By A Vowel category letting people flip answers opposite of the clue. "Furrow/farrow" should have been "farrow/furrow." Let's tighten up judging, judges.

I usually somewhat irritated by this, but it seemed esp important since the one clue had to do with knowing the difference betw affect and effect.

• Love 5

What was up with Scott running a category and finding the DD there, then betting $500? Makes no sense. It also makes no dollars.

I hate when the answers are flipped when 2 are called for!

My guess is that he didn't want to run the risk of losing a lot, and then finishing with a low score which would jeopardize (heh) not only his chance of winning, but his chance at a wildcard slot. Perhaps he would not have wagered so conservatively in round 1 had he uncovered the DD.

13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Philistine!  (I kid, I kid.  Just means more for me.)

And me!!! 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I usually somewhat irritated by this, but it seemed esp important since the one clue had to do with knowing the difference betw affect and effect.

The editor at the magazine where I worked gave a proof (pruf!) reading test to job applicants. One test was full of affects and effects. I guess I did okay on it since I was hired. But to this day I still stop and think before writing one or the other.

• Love 6