Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

The editor at the magazine where I worked gave a proof (pruf!) reading test to job applicants. One test was full of affects and effects. I guess I did okay on it since I was hired. But to this day I still stop and think before writing one or the other.

On a lazy or brain fog day, I'll just rewrite so I don't have to use either one. It's my standard hack for the times I'm feeling iffy about my grammar.

• Love 8

I knew FJ, but her name just simply would not come to me.  I'm pretty sure my response of "The woman who wrote 'When Harry Met Sally'" would not have been ruled as correct.  I could name several of her movies, even!  Oh well.

29 minutes ago, opus said:

I wonder if Fannie Flagg was watching today and what she thought, especially when Alex said "Not a bad guess".

Yeah, my first thought when he said that was, "Um, isn't she still alive?"

Do we drink when the category is "Women Writers"?  I know we do when Alex says, "genre" which he did again tonight.  Drink!

Not the best game tonight.  I don't think any of the wild cards will come from this one.  TS I got included wart, nose, cirrus, cello, Stonewall Jackson (I live in Virginia!  I would have to move if I didn't know that one!), and McGuffey.

• Love 12
(edited)
38 minutes ago, opus said:

I wonder if Fannie Flagg was watching today and what she thought, especially when Alex said "Not a bad guess".

Was that supposed to be a compliment in that he found her funnier than Dorothy Parker or that he thought she was also deceased like Nora Ephron? I remembered her name at the last second trying to recall who wrote "When Harry Met Sally" 

7 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Not the best game tonight.  I don't think any of the wild cards will come from this one.  TS I got included wart, nose, cirrus, cello, Stonewall Jackson (I live in Virginia!  I would have to move if I didn't know that one!), and McGuffey.

Got all of those except McGuffey. How you do miss Stonewall Jackson?!

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

Good grief!  I ran the entire first round with the exception of a couple of the clues.  WTH??!!  I know I'm not a genius.

I got Stranger in a Strange Land (DD), nose, cirrus, sailing around the world, Richenbacher, oil field, cello, Stonewall Jackson, Charlemagne (DD), and Christian Slater.

Women Writers - drink!  I was clueless, proving I'm not a genius.

• Love 11

Goodness, , these teachers missed a lot of, what I would consider, easy.  Stonewall Jackson, doesn't anyone know Civil War history?(well, Ok, I'm a history nerd/major).  I knew the photo of WW 1 Ace, Eddie Rickenbacker....he was the founder of Eastern Airlines and hired my father when he came home from WW 2.  

• Love 16

I had a pretty good night with a few exceptions. I didn’t get Stonewall Jackson and looking back thought that it was easy enough so I should have. I never know which direction my brain is working in (or what side). I got Stranger in a Strange Land, wart, asbestos, mt climbing, sailing around the world, Golden Triangle, cello, and ghostbuster. 

I also learned something from the person I was playing with. Pickup trucks were originally sold by H. Ford but you’d have to “pick up” the box and put it together yourself. Also learned the acronym shit 

Ship

High

In

Transit

It’s because they used to include manure in their lowest hold and when it got wet it released methane gas. If someone went down there with a lantern it could blow the boat up. So literal crap had to be stored high enough for the gasses to be released decreasing the explosion factor. Who knew? 

• Love 9

Tonight's game was......

not good.  

I got nose, sailing around the world, oil field, Stonewall Jackson, Christian Slater, and cirrus (shouldn't a science teacher know a little something about clouds?).

Rosie O'Donnell spoiled FJ on twitter.  Thanks a lot, Rosie.  

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, opus said:

This has got to show up on social media. I need to check if Ms. Flagg has a Twitter account.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Do we drink when the category is "Women Writers"?

Yes, of course! I also caught "genre." But no "Good for yous" today. This episode was One Drink Wonder.

36 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Stranger in a Strange Land (DD)

I don't even remember that one. I guess I had drifted off.

The Jeopardy round didn't have much in the way of TSs, but Double Jeopardy was loaded. I got Stonewall Jackson (duh), McGuffey Reader, nose (geesh), cirrus clouds, mountain climbing (my love!), sail around the world and Eddie Rickenbacker.

Indi gets a DD in a category no one knows any of the answers to and bets $2,500. Yesterday Scott ran the entire category, found the DD and bet $500. What, is this Bizarro Jerry, I mean Jeopardy?

In keeping with tradition, I tanked FJ again. Right away I thought Erma Bombeck, except she died earlier and didn't do any movie stuff. Then I thought Joan Rivers and Phyllis Diller; both died in 2012 but again, no Oscar material. Actually, Fannie Flagg was a better guess than any of mine except for that small problem with her still being alive and all.

Mindthinkr, I like your Daily Trivia Knowledge post. Both were new to me. I will have to be careful not to blow up my horse barn when I go out there at night after a rain.

We need another "And now you know" tomorrow too, please.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Right away I thought Erma Bombeck

She was my initial thought as well all though I also deduced that she had died too long ago for most contestants to remember. Best title: The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank. She was very funny and I also liked her book about when you look like your passport photo it’s time to go home. 

• Love 9
53 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I knew the photo of WW 1 Ace, Eddie Rickenbacker....he was the founder of Eastern Airlines and hired my father when he came home from WW 2.

That is awesomely COOL.

• Love 7

Wow, a lot of TS in DJ.  Along with the obvious Stonewall Jackson, sailing around the world was my other “seriously?!” TS for the game.  I know nothing about the person, or the sport, but the wording of the clue made it an instaget and I can't believe none of the three reasoned their way to it.

Juxtaposition was surprising, too, but a couple of levels down from those two.

I hope I live long enough to see these “Women Authors/Leaders/Whatevers Where We Assume Male is the Default” categories die in a fire, but I have my doubts because it's 20fucking18 and this sexist shit persists. 

I was hit and miss on Nora Ephron's scripts, but the ones I liked, I loved, and she seemed quite cool as a person, so she came to me quickly based on the description and year of death.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

HA! When that popped up I wondered the same thing!

I got nose, cirrus (a guess), mountain climbing, sailing around the world, cello, Stonewall, Slater, and FJ, Nora Ephron.

Is Veruca Salt's name a play on Verruca, i.e., Wart Salt?

• Love 4
(edited)

I got Nora Ephron.  Her books and essays were better than her film scripts, IMO.  But, digging down into my personal dungeon of publishing history . . .  Back when I actually was a proofreader--when we read by lantern light, wearing green visors--Fannie Flagg's book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café was one of the first books I read (for money).  So that was a funny guess from my POV.  Also Mommie Dearest.  So if you find any errors in those, pretend you didn't see them.  They're probably not my fault anyway.  And there's a statute of limitations.

I, too, don't get why they are so married (not a joke) to the whole "Women This or That" business.  Don't the women who work on the show ever speak up about this?

ETA:  Salt is a treatment for warts.  So yeah.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Wart eruption
  • Love 12

"Wart eruption." Ha ha ha. Thanks for the laugh.

I found a typo in some book a while back and was aghast. AGHAST, I tell you. I highlighted it with a marker and wanted to call the ... well, proofreading police or something, it was so offensive. Can't remember which book now so you are off the hook Mondrianyone.

25 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hope I live long enough to see these “Women Authors/Leaders/Whatevers Where We Assume Male is the Default” categories die in a fire, but I have my doubts because it's 20fucking18 and this sexist shit persists. 

So much this. I love you Bastet. I also know I will not live long enough to see the end of it. I actually doubt it ever will end, but that's a rant for some other thread. I do know to be careful of shit, however, as it can blow up when you least expect it!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, SHD said:

Elizabeth Olsen/Elizabeth Moss was a heartbreaker. You could tell she knew her mistake as soon as it came out of her mouth.

I made the same mistake. Elizabeth Moss played Peggy Olson on Mad Men. That's my excuse for my incorrect guess. 

I watched late and didn't write down my TS gets but there were quite a few that surprised me.

I was busy today graduating with my Master of Secondary Education degree. Based on how I do at home, I really wish I could participate in this tournament! (I'm sure it's harder in person.) 

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

With Sunday being Mother's Day, perhaps tomorrow we'll have the category "Women Mothers".

• Love 21

I missed posting about yesterday's game but will quickly note I'm another fan of Scottie the Hottie.

Today my TS were mountain climbing, sailing around the world, cello, juxtaposition, and Stonewall, and I got the missed DD Charlemagne. I felt embarrassed for Indi as he confidently said Augustus. 

For FJ, Elaine Stritch came to mind and while I could see her face in my mind, I couldn't remember her name to save my life, only that it started with an E.

30 minutes ago, teebax said:

I was busy today graduating with my Master of Secondary Education degree.

Congratulations!

• Love 5
(edited)

The players were not so great today. Such a difference from Wednesday's game. But I liked all 3, and was hoping for the battle of French accents between Alex & French teacher Katherine. Indi high fiveing Beth & Katherine after the game was nice sportsmanship. 

Alex said genre - drink!

TS I got were nose, cirrus clouds, mountain climbing, sailing around the world, Stonewall Jackson, Charlemagne (Indi's missed DD), Christian Slater. FJ was an instaget

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Is Veruca Salt's name a play on Verruca, i.e., Wart Salt?

2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

ETA:  Salt is a treatment for warts.  So yeah.

We wondered the same thing. Thanks for the explanation!

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I was busy today graduating with my Master of Secondary Education degree. Based on how I do at home, I really wish I could participate in this tournament! (I'm sure it's harder in person.) 

Congratulations!!! And "good for you" (meant in the best, most sincere way, not the dismissive Trebekian way)

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 9

I have to ask: Do you still have that sheet of paper?

Long story short, I was living south of Houston...big storm...my apartment flooded and I moved to a different apartment in the same building, not far from the old one. I was young so could carry boxes (friends helped with furniture). I had several boxes in the hallway and someone stole a box. It had my favorite books, all my published stories (including a poem published in the Village Voice when I was 12), and my "penis paper."

Once upon a long time ago I was a teacher in Flushing NY and Bed Sty (Brooklyn). Today's "answers" were so easy, including FJ, I wish the teacher's tournament was retroactive :)

• Love 6
6 hours ago, teebax said:

I made the same mistake. Elizabeth Moss played Peggy Olson on Mad Men. That's my excuse for my incorrect guess. 

I watched late and didn't write down my TS gets but there were quite a few that surprised me.

I bet that Peggy Olsen thing is EXACTLY where the contestant went wrong too. Totally legit reason!

And congratulations!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love Nora Ephron. I just couldn't think of her in time. I kept thinking, "Carrie Fisher hasn't been dead *that* long, has she?"

I forgot about Nora and said Joan Rivers!  While wondering if she ever won an Oscar.

And, Fannie Flagg is  still alive!

I dunno about anyone else, but the "Opera" FJ the other day was an instaget.  Alpine (Switzerland) and a "Galop"?  Just think of the Lone Ranger taking his garbage "To da dump, to da dump, to da dump dump dump!"

• Love 4
(edited)
14 hours ago, opus said:

I said "I think she's still with us," but wasn't entirely sure. I knew it was Ephron anyway, because I remembered, oddly enough, when she died. I was in the middle of reading her book "I hate my neck" (or something like that).

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

In keeping with tradition, I tanked FJ again. Right away I thought Erma Bombeck, except she died earlier and didn't do any movie stuff. Then I thought Joan Rivers and Phyllis Diller; both died in 2012 but again, no Oscar material. Actually, Fannie Flagg was a better guess than any of mine except for that small problem with her still being alive and all.

Minor detail. LOL. To be fair though, often when some famous person died I've said "oh, I thought he/she was already dead."

11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I got Nora Ephron.  Her books and essays were better than her film scripts, IMO.  But, digging down into my personal dungeon of publishing history . . .  Back when I actually was a proofreader--when we read by lantern light, wearing green visors--Fannie Flagg's book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistlestop Café was one of the first books I read (for money).  So that was a funny guess from my POV.  Also Mommie Dearest.  So if you find any errors in those, pretend you didn't see them.  They're probably not my fault anyway.  And there's a statute of limitations.

I'm a bit green with envy.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I found a typo in some book a while back and was aghast. AGHAST, I tell you. I highlighted it with a marker and wanted to call the ... well, proofreading police or something, it was so offensive. Can't remember which book now so you are off the hook Mondrianyone.

Hopefully it was a book you owned. :)

I don't know how many times I've read a library book and found someone had "edited" it. Oftentimes incorrectly (but of course you'd make the correct correction). I found after the fact, that my father had not just "edited" books I loaned him, but often wrote lengthy replies and counterarguments. Once I found these "edits" (when rereading), I stopped loaning him books. How rude! Plus he dog-eared the pages. Arrgghhh.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 8

I sheepishly admit to correcting a library book, but it drove me absolutely batshit crazy that for pages and pages, the main character had to "bale" water out of his boat.  I put a line through every single one and corrected it to "bail", and I have yet to figure out how you can bale water.

I never dog-ear pages, though.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Long story short, I was living south of Houston...big storm...my apartment flooded and I moved to a different apartment in the same building, not far from the old one. I was young so could carry boxes (friends helped with furniture). I had several boxes in the hallway and someone stole a box. It had my favorite books, all my published stories (including a poem published in the Village Voice when I was 12), and my "penis paper."

Boo hiss. At least we can hope they enjoyed your writings and kept them.

Congratulations, teebax!

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I have yet to figure out how you can bale water.

Freeze it first?

35 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm a bit green with envy.

Over my green visor? Or the green tomatoes?

Congratulations, Teebax!  So happy for you!

• Love 6
55 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Freeze it first?

Maybe, but not if you're in a small boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!  And I'm not sure it would count -- how do you get it frozen in the shape of a bale without baling it in the first place?  If you freeze it in a container, it isn't baling it.  My brain hurts!  LOL

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Hopefully it was a book you owned. :)

Yes, it was. I've had to stop buying books though because I have more than can fit on all the bookshelves. So I do library now. Except it's so hard to resist buying them. Old habits die hard, if they die at all.

I sheepishly admit to correcting a library book, but it drove me absolutely batshit crazy that for pages and pages, the main character had to "bale" water out of his boat.  I put a line through every single one and corrected it to "bail", and I have yet to figure out how you can bale water.

I saw "bale water" somewhere not too long ago. I just sighed and let it go. One can't save the world; I've given up trying.

Mystery, imagine the delight when your thief opened that box and found that paper. Did some guy keep asking you out after that? (Or following you when you left your apartment?)

Teebax, HOORAY for your achievement. You WILL be on Jeopardy, I insist on it. Congrats, and I hope you had (and are still having) a nice celebration. Good things are coming your way.

1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

My guess is over your fabulous job, being paid to read those most excellent books.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Freeze it first?

Congratulations, Teebax!  So happy for you!

The green tomatoes, of course. :)

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I never dog-ear pages, though.

I'll give you a pass, since you corrected an actual error. ;)  It's the ones that "correct" what is in fact correct that drive me crazy. It's not a problem for me anymore, since I use Library2Go to check out books for my Kindle, it is still part of my library (which I support), and I don't have to deal with false corrections, and worst of all, the smell of cigarette smoke.

• Love 3

Maybe, but not if you're in a small boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!  And I'm not sure it would count -- how do you get it frozen in the shape of a bale without baling it in the first place?  If you freeze it in a container, it isn't baling it.  My brain hurts!  LOL

I'm bailing on this one!

49 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My guess is over your fabulous job, being paid to read those most excellent books.

That was the upside.  I like my current job better, though.  Still get to read some wonderful books.

9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

The green tomatoes, of course. :)

That book's probably worth rereading.  I think I might've missed a few things.  And now that I'm older and have more IN-surance . . .

• Love 5
(edited)
52 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

It's not a problem for me anymore, since I use Library2Go to check out books for my Kindle, it is still part of my library (which I support), and I don't have to deal with false corrections, and worst of all, the smell of cigarette smoke.

Kindle? Blasphemer. I will never support electronic books, they are all kinds of wrong. Audio ones, yes, when I'm driving. But a hand-held solid REAL book is the only kind I believe in. And cigarette smoke in your library? What, you're in prison?

Now, git off my lawn.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That was the upside.  I like my current job better, though.  Still get to read some wonderful books.

This was what I was really envious of, just too shy to say.

Different topic - we're cutting our cable TV soon. Streaming handles most of what we see, and a digital antenna the rest. Unfortunately, the ABC affiliate doesn't come in well because of...well, mountains and trees and things. Is there anywhere else we can see Jeopardy?

The mister has been gung ho and impatient with my wanting to wait until the season enders. It will reduce our cable bill (even with adding a couple extra streaming services) by more than half. But now that he's remembered Jeopardy he's dragging his heels. I'm bummed too, but I've already given up several shows that I only watch when their season is over and I can qualify for a free one week subscription.

8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Kindle? Blasphemer. I will never support electronic books, they are all kinds of wrong. Audio ones, yes, when I'm driving. But a hand-held solid REAL book is the only kind I believe in. And cigarette smoke in your library? What, you're in prison?

Now, git off my lawn.

Hah!

I love hand held books too, my hands hurt from holding them (I love big books, I cannot lie), my eyes aren't as cooperative so the angles I need to prop them at end up making something else ache, and print is looking smaller and smaller. The Kindle lets me remedy all of those and enjoy the convenience of having tons of books with me at all times, I choose function over form. The words are still the same. Plus, I love looking up words I already know in the dictionary with a tap of my finger. Makes me feel smart. :)

No prison, just lots of smokers in my neck of the woods. :(

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I read hardcover books from the library most of the time, but my iPad is indispensable for travelling.  I generally travel with just a carry-on and personal bag when I fly, and real books simply take up too much space and weight. 

Lots of smokers around here, too -- not only do library books pick up the odor when smokers take them home, but I've even gotten paper money as change that smells like smoke.  I have to spend that right away!

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I generally travel with just a carry-on and personal bag when I fly,

Same here, with a paperback book or a book on CD. Either fits nicely in my backpack. But I guess I'll cut you fancy smancies some slack with your modern-technology ebooks.

I never thought about library books smelling, I just "ass"umed your library was a smoker's haven. I love how libraries smell, takes me back to being a kid when I would walk to the library and bring home armloads of books to read over the summer.

I've already looked at today's FJ and once again I am clueless. So I am batting 1,000 on being a FJ KnowNothingLoser. Go ahead, point and laugh.

• Love 5
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

One book is usually not enough if I'm going away for a week or more, unless it's a weighty tome.  :)

One's not enough for me either.

I need options - even before e-readers I always had three books going at once. That's too many to pack.  I tried out Game of Thrones because I needed a long book to read on a vacation, and those books are just about right for a week. Last business trip, I left the Kindle at home and read on my phone. I used to think that was ludicrous, given my eyes, but the contrast is so good, the letters so crisp, it's almost better than the Kindle. So now I have one less thing to pack. I love packing light.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4

I never thought about library books smelling,

Apparently, a lot of mystery readers are also owned by cats. Many times, my cats have been enthralled, sniffing the books I bring home from the library.  Working at a vet's office, albeit doing data entry in the office, I must walk through some interesting smelling stuff, too, the way Bosco loves sniffing the soles of my shoes.

I take the Kindle on my Road Trips for when I go to eat. I can read a "real" book while I eat, but I need one hand to hold it open, so I rarely get a burger or a sandwich that requires two hands. Now I take my Kindle & only need my pinky to turn the page, so I can Enjoy Every Sandwich. Back in the hotel room, I reading a paper & ink book.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Different topic - we're cutting our cable TV soon. Streaming handles most of what we see, and a digital antenna the rest. Unfortunately, the ABC affiliate doesn't come in well because of...well, mountains and trees and things. Is there anywhere else we can see Jeopardy?

Are you sure about ABC not coming in? There are so many antennas available, for outside and inside. Where I live, it also depends on how the wind is blowing. One day I got a ton-load of channels from a city nearly 80 miles away. But when the wind stopped, they stopped too. I'm no expert however, since I'm not able to get CBS where I live, and I'm about 45 miles from that city, even though ABC and NBC also originate from that same city. I also lost CW when it changed its broadcast power, which meant I lost five of my favorite shows.

The antenna for the little tv in my office (where I basically live) works best this time of year if I stand in the doorway and hold it over my head. All winter it worked great (in the ceiling) for all channels (except the aforementioned CBS and CW). Now I can't get PBS regardless of where I stand/hold it. Danged spring/summer.

Jeopardy is on NBC here. Maybe with a big antenna you can find it broadcast from a different market? Otherwise, when I miss a day, I watch online. I'm sure other posters more modern than I am will have better advice about that Jeopardy problem. We can't lose you so you'd better find a solution stat.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I knew who they wanted, was even shouting "she wrote Heartburn" at the tv, but couldn't come up with Nora Ephron's name at all.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Are you sure about ABC not coming in? There are so many antennas available, for outside and inside. Where I live, it also depends on how the wind is blowing. One day I got a ton-load of channels from a city nearly 80 miles away. But when the wind stopped, they stopped too. I'm no expert however, since I'm not able to get CBS where I live, and I'm about 45 miles from that city, even though ABC and NBC also originate from that same city. I also lost CW when it changed its broadcast power, which meant I lost five of my favorite shows.

The antenna for the little tv in my office (where I basically live) works best this time of year if I stand in the doorway and hold it over my head. All winter it worked great (in the ceiling) for all channels (except the aforementioned CBS and CW). Now I can't get PBS regardless of where I stand/hold it. Danged spring/summer.

Jeopardy is on NBC here. Maybe with a big antenna you can find it broadcast from a different market? Otherwise, when I miss a day, I watch online. I'm sure other posters more modern than I am will have better advice about that Jeopardy problem. We can't lose you so you'd better find a solution stat.

It comes in poorly, but the mister has decided to do just what you're suggesting - go for a different antenna. It's been blowing a lot lately, so that might be why it's looking so bad at the moment. Thanks! We can't get CBS either - but that's not a worry because we can add their All Access streaming service if we want (once the bill's down to a manageable size).

• Love 3