Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I had to think for a second about FJ today, but got it in plenty of time to write it down.  I was a little surprised that two of them missed it.

Really good game today!  Seems like there were hardly any TS -- I didn't write any down anyway.  Although I've never heard The Pleiades pronounced quite that way, nor syzygy with a hard "g". 

• Love 4
Just now, Browncoat said:

I had to think for a second about FJ today, but got it in plenty of time to write it down.  I was a little surprised that two of them missed it.

Really good game today!  Seems like there were hardly any TS -- I didn't write any down anyway.  Although I've never heard The Pleiades pronounced quite that way, nor syzygy with a hard "g". 

I was surprised I missed it! I guessed executive privilege and am ashamed of my answer.

I was rooting for Ranjani after she ran the Shakespeare category, even though they were easy. She bet too much in final. 

I had Cloverfield Paradox, Counterpoint (a fantastic show I highly recommend), and quack. 

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I didn't get any TS or FJ.  Total loser.  Boo hiss.  But there was a "Good for you" - drink!

I love my Kindle(s).

I love mine too. I'm usually reading several books at a time, and it makes it easy to always have them. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

One book is usually not enough if I'm going away for a week or more, unless it's a weighty tome.  :)

That’s a reason why when I travel that I love the places where you can “borrow” a book indefinitely. I also will leave a book that I have finished because I usually keep my dearest author's books at home. Independent lending libraries. Wonderful things. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've already looked at today's FJ and once again I am clueless. So I am batting 1,000 on being a FJ KnowNothingLoser. Go ahead, point and laugh.

<points>

<laughs>

You told me to do it!  ;-)

Fine, I didn't get it, either.  

I did get vilify and ditto.

Congratulations, teebax.

• Love 4
(edited)

Catching up on a few days.

Not a Kindle fan.  I still read paper books, mostly for work now, though.  When I'm on vacation, I'll pack three GAMES magazines so that I always have a puzzle that appeals to me at that moment.  I've traveled with GAMES magazines for so many years (literally decades) that I can't imagine being on a plane without one.

I appreciated the music and word categories over the last couple of days, but I can't say the same about the Shakespeare categories.

I guessed Executive Order for one of the FJs and had Nora Ephron for another.  I had ZERO clue on the Opera one, but would have bet $5 at the most had I been on the show.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 4
(edited)

That was a decent game - good players, crisp clue calling and not too many cringy TS's. I got Cloverfield and quack.  In Blake Edward's classic film, S.O.B., a character refers to a Hollywood "Dr. Feelgood" as a shyster. He replies indignantly, "Madam, a shyster is a disreputable lawyer. I am a quack!" I also got the very satisfying FJ of pocket veto. You don't really hear about them much any more. I don't think the last couple of presidents have used them.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 3

When I was growing up, every comfortable chair in our place had a stack of books next to it.  Each member of the family would read several books at a time.  Some of you might have liked to live with us.

• Love 7

The only TS I got was quack.

I also said mimeo instead of ditto, but when Alex said ditto, I realized I hadn't heard that in ages.

I got confused with FJ. I thought when the clue said "the first of this 2-word phrase" (I think it was) it was asking for the first word of the 2-word phrase. Doh. I realized that it was saying Madison was the first to use it, but still I got all confuseled. So I just said veto. I couldn't figure out what the second word was.

Hey, another mention of Latin!

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I also said mimeo instead of ditto, but when Alex said ditto, I realized I hadn't heard that in ages.

Never heard Mimeo (but that gives the website name 'vimeo' new perspective!)...but one of my teachers (too long ago to remember who/which grade!) used to use the term "ditto" to refer to photocopies all the time, and it wasn't until this clue that I learned why. I always just figured that "ditto" is a way of saying "same" which made sense for copies.

I love learning new things on Jeopardy.

• Love 4
(edited)
29 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Hey, another mention of Latin!

Yeah, that it stopped being taught in schools in the freaking 1960s. WTH. We just had a Latin teacher in this tourney, plus posters here are Latin teachers. So is that some bogus occupation now since it doesn't exist in real life? Tell us what you REALLY do, you "Latin" teachers.

I've never heard of ditto (except in speech, not in copy making) but mimeo should have been accepted IMO. Because we all loved to smell those mimeo'd tests when they were handed out. Once I got to run the mimeograph, it was a cool drum that you would crank. And breathe in all the yummy fumes you wanted.

Now that I think of it, maybe that's part of my brain problems now.

So I just said veto. I couldn't figure out what the second word was.

You did better than I, who couldn't figure out the second OR first word.

32 minutes ago, Driad said:

Some of you might have liked to live with us.

What do you mean "might have." I'm asking you now to adopt me.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

But there was a "Good for you" - drink!

Yeah, this episode was another One Drink Wonder.

Here's another irksome Trebekian sentence: "You found the Daily Double too early." Well, then why the heck do they put it as the second clue in a category? That's such a snot thing to say.

Anyone else laugh at the photo of the jodhpurs from 1950? Mindthinkr? No one has worn puffy jods for decades. Which I guess is why they were going in the garage sale.

This game was pretty non-exciting, or maybe it's just me. I did like today's winner though, he was pretty fun.

Meanwhile, to all you REAL BOOK readers here, I say: GOOD FOR YOU! My picture could have been in today's Old School category because I'll never ebook anything ever, no Kindle will ever touch these hands. I'm old school about a lot of things. (And STAY off my lawn.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, teebax said:

I was rooting for Ranjani after she ran the Shakespeare category, even though they were easy. She bet too much in final. 

I liked her too and you're right in that she wagered way too much. She could have bet nothing and still have been ahead of Erika by $6,400. The scores among non-winners were so bad that Ranjani's $4,000 was still good enough for 5th place. 

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Here's another irksome Trebekian sentence: "You found the Daily Double too early." Well, then why the heck do they put it as the second clue in a category? That's such a snot thing to say.

I'm not particularly bothered by it. I think it just reflects that finding it early means that it won't carry the same impact as it would later in the round where more money is in play and could be a difference maker.  

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Some of you might have liked to live with us.

What do you mean "might have." I'm asking you now to adopt me.

OK, but (1) I hope you have your own place, and (2) you're taking me to brunch on Mother's Day, right?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I've never heard of ditto (except in speech, not in copy making) but mimeo should have been accepted IMO. Because we all loved to smell those mimeo'd tests when they were handed out. Once I got to run the mimeograph, it was a cool drum that you would crank. And breathe in all the yummy fumes you wanted.

Now that I think of it, maybe that's part of my brain problems now.

I've only heard of mimeograph, too.  When I was a senior in high school, I was my dreamy Latin teacher's assistant.  That involved, among other things, mimeographing all the tests for the freshman, sophomore and junior classes.  And, yes, inhaling those wonderful fumes.  They were almost as good as that great odd minty flavored paste I used to eat in grade school.  ?

• Love 9

I liked all 3 contestants today. Clearly they do not know scores from the week's previous games, which makes total sense, or they would have all bet $0 in FJ and easily made the quarter finals. I am a fast talker, but Ranjani makes me sound like molasses in January as someone hilariously described Judy (?) earlier in the week. Jake's story was great, and I loved that he congratulated the imaginative pranksters instead of being angry at them. Happy to see Erika advance; I liked her. 

Am I the only one who wished Jake would have sung, "Re - a drop of golden sun", as I did in my living room? So happy that the board is required to be cleared in both rounds, because I would not have been happy if the 90's music category did not get completed. I ran it, along with Shakespeare, "V"erbs, & I think garage sale.

Did you proofreaders & former proofreaders spot the misspelled word in the clue? It stuck out to me (not a proofreader)

TS I got were vilify & quack. We said executive order for FJ, but were both "duh" when the correct answer was unveiled. 

14 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Minor detail. LOL. To be fair though, often when some famous person died I've said "oh, I thought he/she was already dead."

Plus he dog-eared the pages. Arrgghhh.

I am thinking the same thing more often these days when hearing about a famous person's death. Before my grandmother died in 2015, many times when we were watching TV or a movie, she would ask one of us to look on our phones to see if so-and-so actor or actress was still alive, and I find myself doing the same thing. 

Dog-earing pages is monstrous behavior. Simply monstrous!

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I sheepishly admit to correcting a library book, but it drove me absolutely batshit crazy that for pages and pages, the main character had to "bale" water out of his boat. 

I gritted my teeth while reading this. 

11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I'm bailing on this one!

Well played! 

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Kindle? Blasphemer. I will never support electronic books, they are all kinds of wrong. Audio ones, yes, when I'm driving. But a hand-held solid REAL book is the only kind I believe in. And cigarette smoke in your library? What, you're in prison?

Now, git off my lawn.

I always thought the same thing, until my MIL uttered the magic words, "you can buy more books". Sold! I now have my iPad & phone synched up for books so I can use either one, & one of my daughters used my old Kindle until she got an iPad last year. 

9 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Apparently, a lot of mystery readers are also owned by cats.

You rang? 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Never heard Mimeo (but that gives the website name 'vimeo' new perspective!)...but one of my teachers (too long ago to remember who/which grade!) used to use the term "ditto" to refer to photocopies all the time, and it wasn't until this clue that I learned why. I always just figured that "ditto" is a way of saying "same" which made sense for copies.

While watching, I thought I had never heard "ditto" used this way, but your post brought back memories from elementary school and the dittos (handouts). Thanks for reminding me! 

I got behind on my Jeopardy recordings, so I got to watch three episodes tonight. Mr. Pallida was quite confused at me yelling "Stranger in a Strange Land" over and over again from the bedroom. It's been too long since I last read that book. 

• Love 6

Mystery, imagine the delight when your thief opened that box and found that paper. Did some guy keep asking you out after that? (Or following you when you left your apartment?)

Aw, you're sweet. I imagine the thief was spittin' mad. He or she probably thought the box was filled with pawnable stuff. It reminds me of when someone broke into my car and I found audio tapes strewn everywhere, obviously in anger. The tapes I had were Broadway musicals (and one Patsy Kline) :)

I like my current job better, though.  Still get to read some wonderful books.

What is your current job, Mondrianyone?

I broke my FJ winning streak. I said Presidential veto.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I take the Kindle on my Road Trips for when I go to eat. I can read a "real" book while I eat, but I need one hand to hold it open, so I rarely get a burger or a sandwich that requires two hands. Now I take my Kindle & only need my pinky to turn the page, so I can Enjoy Every Sandwich. ....

@Prevailing Wind, if the book is Text-to-Speech enabled, you can use that feature with the volume all the way down, and your Kindle turns the pages for you. 

• Love 1
(edited)

@saber5055, ditto to everything you said about mimeographs!

One bad thing about iPads is that you can’t quote other posts — or at least I can’t.  If someone else knows the secret, please share!

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, secnarf said:

Dittos were that awesome purple copy.  That's all we had when I was in elementary school.  I didn't even know they made black and white copies until I got to junior high.  I got behind on J! for the entire week (work stuff), and just marathoned it all this morning.  The only person I really wanted to advance who didn't was Ranjani.  I really liked something about her.

I love Kindle (and Nook) and paper but for different things. I will never see an art book a well on an ebook, but for just text and travelling (and instantly buying the next ook you want from ANYWHERE!), Kindles can't be beat.  I have literally finished one book on the beach and immediately bought and received the next book in the series without moving from my beach lounger.  Paper can't do that.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Driad said:

When I was growing up, every comfortable chair in our place had a stack of books next to it.  Each member of the family would read several books at a time.  Some of you might have liked to live with us.

Mine too. I was excited to get my first official library card when I was in third grade. Then incensed because they only let me check out two books. Two books are NEVER enough!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

As I said, I'd forgotten all about ditto. (We called them ditto sheets.) Anyway, yesterday I googled to find out the difference. A ditto machine (spirit duplicator) creates copies, usually w/purple ink, that have that distinctive smell. Mimeographed papers did not.

A little info from Wikipedia:

Mimeograph machines predated the spirit duplicator, had a lower cost per impression, superior print quality, finer resolution, and if properly adjusted could be used for multi-pass and double-sided printing. Also, mimeographed images were as durable as the paper they were printed on, and didn't bleach to illegibility if exposed to sunlight, the way that dittoed pages did. A good mimeo master could produce many more copies than the best ditto master. As with ditto masters, mimeo stencils could be saved and reused for later print jobs.

Here's another article where the writer fondly remembers these.

Meanwhile, to all you REAL BOOK readers here, I say: GOOD FOR YOU! My picture could have been in today's Old School category because I'll never ebook anything ever, no Kindle will ever touch these hands. I'm old school about a lot of things. (And STAY off my lawn.)

I use both. If I'm looking online for a book at the library, I'm open to ebooks and "real" books, whichever is available. Often, however, when I'm reading an ebook, I miss the feel of the real book as well as the ability to easily flip back.

9 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Am I the only one who wished Jake would have sung, "Re - a drop of golden sun"

Instead it was "Re, a drop of golden sun...?"

7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Aw, you're sweet. I imagine the thief was spittin' mad. He or she probably thought the box was filled with pawnable stuff.

Maybe s/he just needed a box.

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

One bad thing about iPads is that you can’t quote other posts — or at least I can’t.  If someone esle knows the secret, please share!

I have an iPad but use my notebook to read/post here. I'll check mine to see if I'm able to quote. This issue may be addressed in the Questions forum.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

A ditto machine (spirit duplicator) creates copies, usually w/purple ink, that have that distinctive smell. Mimeographed papers did not.

Maybe our mimeo machine was really a ditto machine. The copies had blue type and the paper was slightly damp when it came out. And smelled pretty good. It might have been a regional thing, like pop, soda and coke.

4 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I have literally finished one book on the beach and immediately bought and received the next book in the series without moving from my beach lounger.  Paper can't do that.

Just reach in your tote bag and pull out that next paperback. Like in the old days! It will make a great story to tell your great grandkids, about "the good old days."

7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Or, mimeo to everything you said about ditto. Still, nicely put!

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I broke my FJ winning streak. I said Presidential veto.

But you are still buying Mr. MA dinner, right?

12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Did you proofreaders & former proofreaders spot the misspelled word in the clue? It stuck out to me (not a proofreader)

I was irritated that I wasn't looking at the tv nor paying much attention when this clue came up. I also missed a lot, like the interviews. I was across the room and just absorbed the "good for you" and nothing else.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
(edited)
12 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Which clue, which word?

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

It comes in poorly, but the mister has decided to do just what you're suggesting - go for a different antenna.

If ABC comes in poorly, then the signal is there rather than it doesn't come in at all and the channel scan can't find it. So that's good. Forget those tiny antennas that fit on the back of the tv or the wall above it. Those might work if you live in town or next to all the broadcasting stations/towers. I'm in the country, 45-50 miles from any broadcast tower. My living room antenna is quite large. There are antennas for outside and also for in the attic. That's what I have, except mine is inside. I've thought about opening the living-room window and tossing it out (more than once!) to see if it can find CBS. Better larger antennas will say how far they range, some are 150 miles. Plus I find different channels by moving the antenna even a small amount or even slightly tipping it a different way. Crazy, but that's the truth! I bought mine online as no local stores (Best Buy even) had what I wanted. It is assumed, of course, that everyone lives in civilization.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Anyone else laugh at the photo of the jodhpurs from 1950? Mindthinkr? No one has worn puffy jods for decades

Correct. I titled my head and said WTF? (Sorry! Some of us horse people are known to have sailor’s mouths.). We also called them riding britches. The only ones that we called jodhpurs were the ankle long ones meant to be worn with jodhpur boots. Usually by children that ride ponies or are under 14 years of age. The puffy look exited the scene in the mid-60’s.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I was excited to get my first official library card when I was in third grade. Then incensed because they only let me check out two books. Two books are NEVER enough!

I remember riding my bike to the nearest library (about half mile away), checking out 5 books, riding to the nearby park, reading one of them (I think it might have been "The Cricket in Times Square"), then riding back to return the finished book and getting scolded by the librarian!! She couldn't find the "return" card and I said "but I just checked this out an hour ago" and she made a noise and had to move to a different area to get it and said "don't ever do that again!". 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

One bad thing about iPads is that you can’t quote other posts — or at least I can’t.  If someone esle knows the secret, please share!

It worked for me. You just hit the quote symbol in the post before you hit reply.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I remember riding my bike to the nearest library (about half mile away), checking out 5 books, riding to the nearby park, reading one of them (I think it might have been "The Cricket in Times Square"), then riding back to return the finished book and getting scolded by the librarian!! She couldn't find the "return" card and I said "but I just checked this out an hour ago" and she made a noise and had to move to a different area to get it and said "don't ever do that again!". 

Boo on that librarian. They are supposed to encourage reading not criticize how we read. 

• Love 6

I think usage of ditto is a regional thing. Everything was on dittos when I was in grade school. Fresh off the ditto master, they were limp and wet and had that distinctive smell. Classrooms always had a hint of that odor in the air, back then.

And 'ditto' was used prominently in the movie Ghost

Not a bad tourney so far. It doesn't feel like the questions are too dumbed-down from the usual, in general. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

I think usage of ditto is a regional thing.

In the Midwest (Illinois) we said mimeo. Where are you ditto heads located? I also grew up asking for pop with my popcorn.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

It worked for me. You just hit the quote symbol in the post before you hit reply.

I didn't even think of that!  When I use my laptop, I generally just highlight the part of the post I want to quote.  I'll try that the next time I use the iPad -- most often in the mornings if I have time before I go to work.  The iPad wakes up faster than the laptop.

I think we called them mimeographs, or maybe just carbon copies -- either way, you attached the original carbon to a big rotating drum, and the copies came out with that lovely purple ink and intoxicating aroma.  And were slightly damp.

The county I grew up in had (still has) just one library, and it was awkward to get to, so we had the bookmobile that came every week.  I was very fortunate that one of their stops was almost right in front of my house.  I don't remember any limits on the number of books I could check out, and the librarian was very good about recommending books, and bringing things he thought I might like. 

• Love 3

If ABC comes in poorly, then the signal is there rather than it doesn't come in at all and the channel scan can't find it. So that's good. Forget those tiny antennas that fit on the back of the tv or the wall above it. Those might work if you live in town or next to all the broadcasting stations/towers. I'm in the country, 45-50 miles from any broadcast tower. My living room antenna is quite large. There are antennas for outside and also for in the attic. That's what I have, except mine is inside. I've thought about opening the living-room window and tossing it out (more than once!) to see if it can find CBS. Better larger antennas will say how far they range, some are 150 miles. Plus I find different channels by moving the antenna even a small amount or even slightly tipping it a different way. Crazy, but that's the truth! I bought mine online as no local stores (Best Buy even) had what I wanted. It is assumed, of course, that everyone lives in civilization.

Thanks for the tips!

• Love 2

I think the mimeograph/ditto thing is similar to continuing to call modern copiers Xerox machines long after other companies got into the business.  It had been mimeograph machines, and then ditto came along, but for a while there many people still called it all mimeo out of habit.

• Love 1

I was cheering for Jake because he's from Eureka Springs, AR. I left metro Atlanta at 4:40 this AM and now I'm in Jonesboro, AR on my Road Trip - I'll be in Eureka Springs next weekend. Maybe he'll win & they'll have a party!!

Yes, I have my Kindle. I also have two books and a Smithsonian Magazine.

I saw Johnny Cash's boyhood home today. What a tiny house for a family with 7 kids!

• Love 7
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Just reach in your tote bag and pull out that next paperback. Like in the old days! It will make a great story to tell your great grandkids, about "the good old days."

But that requires prior planning.  You can't spontaneously decide the next book to read that way.  Paper requires planning ahead, or moving.  

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I was cheering for Jake because he's from Eureka Springs, AR. I left metro Atlanta at 4:40 this AM and now I'm in Jonesboro, AR on my Road Trip - I'll be in Eureka Springs next weekend.

I spent every summer vacation from a wee kid through college on my aunt and uncle's farm in the Ouachita Mountains east of Mena, Arkansas. Best time of my life. They would borrow a horse for me that I rode twice a day. The rest of the time I hiked the woods with their bird dogs and doing "kid stuff" all day on the vast acreage, no other homes or people (or lights at night) anywhere to be seen. No tv, just radio (with Lum and Abner reruns!) at noon. At night we would sit outside until after dark, talking and looking at the mountains in the distance. Those were my formative years; I haven't changed much since.

Safe travels PW. Keep checking in.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Where are you ditto heads located? I also grew up asking for pop with my popcorn.

Grew up in the Northeast and it was all dittos and soda! The only time I ever heard 'pop' for soda was on TV occasionally, and it always sounded weird. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Grew up in the Northeast and it was all dittos and soda! The only time I ever heard 'pop' for soda was on TV occasionally, and it always sounded weird. 

I’m from the South and we never ask for soda or pop!   It’s always whatever name brand you want, Coke, etc. or a “soft drink”.

• Love 7

I was born in Philadelphia but moved to Miami when I was 3½ - back when it was New York with palm trees, before it became North Havana - so I suppose, learning to speak from my parents, I'm "northeastern." We always called it soda. I seem to recall teachers using both mimeo and ditto for the same process. Perhaps, not really being aware of such differences, it depended upon where the teachers were from. Some were ol' Florida Crackers and some were like me - transplants from Up North. Nevertheless, we all enjoyed the smell of the pages, no matter what they were called.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, zoey1996 said:

Which clue, which word?

We spent the weekend visiting wineries & breweries, so many bran cells were lost, and I do not remember the entire clue, or even the category, TBH. But the clue contained many commonly misspelled words, including 'misspelled' which was spelled correctly, but the word spelled incorrectly was grammar. 

On 5/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, Nonnie said:

I’m from the South and we never ask for soda or pop!   It’s always whatever name brand you want, Coke, etc. or a “soft drink”.

Southern also, and everything is coke or soft drink. I have noticed that in Omaha & Chicago people say pop which I like, it's kicky & fun, but you would get a weird look if you said that most places in the south. The people selling cokes in the seats at the Superdome say cold drinks (pronounced co' dranks).

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

The people selling cokes in the seats at the Superdome say cold drinks (pronounced co' dranks).

I would find that curious (and hilarious) if I were at the Superdome. I'd wonder just what was being sold. I got schooled on "soda" when a friend from California visited me in Illinois (when I was 30 something) and told me pop was really soda, so stop calling it pop. I loved your map, GenerationX, although I think it reflects how people move now. A map from 1950 would be more solid colors me thinks. Some years ago I went to Charlotte, N.C. to do a story on party rentals in that city. The store owner told me doing coming-out or deb balls used to be a huge Southern thing, but so many northerners have moved it, it's ruining the panache of "The Old South" and its traditions. And some of his business!

• Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, GenerationX said:

I had ZERO clue on the Opera one

I would've bet every penny I had on an Opera FJ - and been right.  The 'galop' gave it away immediately since I knew that the overture to William Tell was the theme for The Lone Ranger.  Plus, alpine = Switzerland = William Tell.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I would've bet every penny I had on an Opera FJ - and been right.  The 'galop' gave it away immediately since I knew that the overture to William Tell was the theme for The Lone Ranger. 

But the definition of "galop" is a lively ballroom dance in duple time, popular in the late 18th century. It has nothing to do with gallop, which is what a horse does, and not in a ballroom. I guess if you overlook the misspelling, then "galop" would give it (Hi ho Silver ...) awaaaaay. It's a case of a wrong making a right.

• Love 2

But the definition of "galop" is a lively ballroom dance in duple time, popular in the late 18th century. It has nothing to do with gallop, which is what a horse does, and not in a ballroom. I guess if you overlook the misspelling, then "galop" would give it (Hi ho Silver ...) awaaaaay. It's a case of a wrong making a right.

They do have the same etymology (they both come from the French word "galop") and the gallop definition does include a rhythmic note: "a bounding gait of a quadruped; specifically : a fast natural usually 4-beat gait of the horse". So they're related, though used to describe movements of different species (say, like prance - though in that case they use the same spelling).

But even so - I know my mind connects things that have much wispier connections.

• Love 3

I kicked ass on the Broadway Musicals category.

And I thought FJ was easy. In the credits in the movie of GWTW, Rhett is referred to as “a visitor from Charleston”. 

• Love 7