Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Regarding GotG, 70s music, actually.  Better, as it's further back from when they were born. 

Fair point, I was basing it on the writer/director's original claim that the soundtrack(s) would be 70-80's music (and 80's stuck in my mind). It all blends for me - if I don't have a specific memory attached to a song, I don't remember when - so I just accepted the statement that 80's music was involved - 70's and 80's music was the soundtrack of my coming of age.

Having gone through the soundtracks, it's actually a 60's/70's mix. Even better. :)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, peeayebee said:
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hawaii = pineapples, y'all.

Yes yes, I know, but I just didn't think pineapples had a smooth variety, or whatever the clue was. I went with papaya.

The part of the clue that tripped me up was "cayenne".  Smooth didn't help either, but I've purchased whole pineapples that look prickly that feel sort of smooth.

Mr. Google tells me:

"More than 70% of the pineapple grown both for canning and fresh fruit in the world is from this cultivar - smooth cayenne."

I learn something new everyday from Jeopardy!

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

"More than 70% of the pineapple grown both for canning and fresh fruit in the world is from this cultivar - smooth cayenne."

I thought pineapple too because, you know, Hawaii, but the cayenne also tricked me, as it did the player. If the smooth cayenne is the pineapple type most sold fresh, I wonder what a "regular" prickly pineapple looks like. Because all the ones I see in the store are pretty prickly. And I know prickly!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought pineapple too because, you know, Hawaii, but the cayenne also tricked me, as it did the player. If the smooth cayenne is the pineapple type most sold fresh, I wonder what a "regular" prickly pineapple looks like. Because all the ones I see in the store are pretty prickly. And I know prickly!

Smooth is a bit of a misnomer it referes to the leaves at the top not having thorns not the body pf the fruit.

• Love 5

Hey, thanks for the pineapple link, illdoc. This info from that page is bound to show up as a future Jeopardy! clue: "Pineapples are roughly divided into four categories: Smooth Cayenne, Queen, Abacaxi and Red Spanish." Pineapple is my favorite fruit. Now I wish I could try some of those varieties that are delicious but don't ship well. (insert my sad face here)

11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Smooth is a bit of a misnomer it refers to the leaves at the top not having thorns not the body of the fruit.

Thanks biak. That makes sense since I know the leaves do have points or pricks (ha ha) on their edges. I used to grow pineapple plants back when I was in college and obsessed with raising all kinds of foliage. The plants never produced pineapples, of course, but they make cool plants for your window.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

A $600 clue that boiled down to "what is the significance of Easter" ? SMH

Seriously.  If I can immediately answer a question about religion/mythology, its value should be $200.  In the Kids Tournament.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

That might have been mentioned in one of the episodes, but I watched the first few and don't remember it being said. I had no idea, so the clue/answer was a surprise to this watcher as well.

No, I thought the Jeopardy clue had something about the Wright Brothers. (I think it's still on my DVR, so I'll check.)

50 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Varieties of Pineapple (only one picture, but it describes them): http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pineapple-plant-varieties-53203.html 

Very interesting. Thanks!

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

No, I thought the Jeopardy clue had something about the Wright Brothers.

The clue was something like: "This show (or was it the ship on this show?) was named after one of the Wright brothers." Answer: The Orville. My post referred to not remembering that Seth McFarlane's character (or any other character) on that show explaining why the ship they were on was named The Orville. I just took for granted that was its name without thinking about any Wright brother. (Mr. Ed, on the other hand, was flying on The WILLLL-bur.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

I LOVE The Orville and watched every episode, and I still didn't get that one.  Out of sight, out of mind, I guess, since it had a short season.

I had Erebus in my mind and knew it wasn't right, but I couldn't dislodge it in time.

I don't mind category jumping, but I don't have an orderly mind.

• Love 4
On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got pineapple and was bummed Octavia Butler was a TS; Kindred is an amazing book. I had no clue for FJ.

I would never have gotten Octavia Butler from the book titles or from the picture, but I only know one African American sci fi writer, and it's her.

On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, Browncoat said:

did get Bosc, the surprising TS of pineapple, Nicholas II, and Miami.  Hawaii = pineapples, y'all.

I also got Alexander III.

I visited a exhibition on the Romanovs that included a few of the Easter eggs - they are amazing intricate.

• Love 2

Bye, Rahul!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out!  The new champ was slow to pick (and answer), though, so I'm not necessarily a fan.  I was rooting more for the other guy, but honestly, none of them winning would have been okay, too.

I'm sure FJ was an instaget for most (if not all!) of you, but I had an attack of severe mental flatulence, and could not come up with a single thing.  New champ might not have looked happy about her wager, but she did exactly the right thing -- if you have a lock game, no need to get greedy.

I answered body scanner for the TSA clue where they wanted X-ray and wonder if that would have been accepted.  I did get goat, ointment, Hanford, Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, and Sea of Cortez.

• Love 3

Yay! Smug Rahul has to go through life as a one-and-done. And yay Lisa! Not only is she my namesake but I found her nervousness at the end endearing. Hopefully she'll relax a little tomorrow. And yay for me, finally again able to watch episodes on the day they air!

I had no idea about that 4th amendment t-shirt -- very creative! #myjeopardyeducation

For TS I got goat and Pirelli. FJ was an instaget.

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Bye, Rahul!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out!  The new champ was slow to pick (and answer), though, so I'm not necessarily a fan.  I was rooting more for the other guy, but honestly, none of them winning would have been okay, too.

My feelings exactly.  Plus Lisa started in the middle of categories which Regis didn't do.

I got Julian (DD), Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, Sea of Cortez (DD), and X-Ray.

FJ was an instaget.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I like Lisa, but I also liked Rahul...don't get what it was about him that bugged so many...liked Regis, too.

You hang out here and don't know why he was disliked?

I'm glad Lisa made it a runaway. I thought Rahul would be around for a while based on his first appearance. He was super sharp. 

When goat went unanswered I thought we were in for a long episode but it was fine. My gets were goat, ointment, Julian, Sea of Cortez, xray machine and FJ in an instaget. I wonder if Lisa will start from the top tomorrow. We'll see... 

• Love 9

In the artist category, Regis correctly answered Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo but was wrong -- Lisa buzzes in with Rivera and Kahlo and that's fine.  What did I miss? 

I loved Lisa's big smile when she realized that she knew the answer to her true DD in DJ. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

In the artist category, Regis correctly answered Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo but was wrong -- Lisa buzzes in with Rivera and Kahlo and that's fine.  What did I miss? 

I think Regis said Frida Kahla.

The wind is blowing here, making my tv reception go in and out, so I missed a lot. But I did see one DD and was all set to freak out about "Sea of Cortez" being easier than a Kid Tournament $200 clue, then the guy said The Magellan Sea. WTH, I don't even know where that is, I'm agonna hafta look ata map. Heh. I guess I miss questions that others think are easy though, so I cut him some slack. But still ... San Diego, Tijuana, Baja ... It's not like it's in Moldova or something.

53 minutes ago, teebax said:

You hang out here and don't know why he was disliked?

This made me laugh. Teebax wins my Today's Internet emmy.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

The picture used for the gumbo clue has me perplexed.  I have lived in south Louisiana for the majority of my life and I have NEVER seen a bowl of gumbo with large carrot slices in it.  I actually paused & rewound to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but alas, no--giant pieces of carrot.  I know the 3td guy got it right (and jambalya was a stupid first answer), but damn, that was a strange picture.

DHS was too easy for a FJ question too.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

... I had an attack of severe mental flatulence ...

Oooo. I love that phrase. Imma gonna steal it.

I liked that Regis laughed so heartily during Lisa's interview. I always like when people are relaxed enuf to laugh during the show. BTW, I wonder what problem young Lisa had with the Harry Potter question.

I've never heard of FLOPS. 

My TSs were goat, Constable, the ointment, Pirelli, Jane Fonda & Robert Redford, and x-ray machine. I also got the DD Sea of Cortez.

I thought FJ was super easy. I wonder why Regis changed his mind.

• Love 4

I think pony tail said Frido Kahla.

I had goat for the same reason opus did.  Got ointment, ran one of the TV categories, and had FJ as an instaget.

Mrs. GenX and I find it hilarious when Alex throws in an "uh oh!" or an "ooh" after reading a category name.  There must be some pretty scary clues back there if even Alex is afraid of them!

• Love 9

I actually let out a cheer when I realized that Lisa had made it a runaway.  Buh-bye Rahul!  His board jumping didn't even make any sense.  I can understand when a contestant starts with the $600/$1200 clue and then continues down the category looking for the DDs or just those worth more money.  (I understand it.  Doesn't mean I like it.)  Rahul would grab an $800 clue in one category, then jump to a cheaper $400 clue in another.  WTH?  I'm so glad he's gone.  I'm thinking Lisa may be less apt to board jump with him out of the picture. 

I liked Lisa's story about writing to J! as an 11 year old.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I like Lisa, but I also liked Rahul...don't get what it was about him that bugged so many...liked Regis, too.

I will always and forever dislike any contestant who is an incorrigible jumper regardless of any other redeeming qualities they might possess. Rahul was particularly egregious on that score. BOO to contestants who feel the need to jump all over the board. I'm ecstatic that he lost.

1 hour ago, AuntiePam said:

In the artist category, Regis correctly answered Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo but was wrong

He answered Frida Kahla and Diego Rivero IIRC. A slip of the tongue, no doubt, but he answered incorrectly.

• Love 5

This was a boring game to me, and I did not like any of the contestants. I actually prefer board jumping Rahul to slow, aw shucks, me? Lisa. Then again, I have been grumpy today, so...

TS I got were Julian calendar (Regis' missed DD), Jane Fonda & Robert Redford, & x-ray machine. FJ was an instaget.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was rooting more for the other guy, but honestly, none of them winning would have been okay, too.

This

5 hours ago, teebax said:

You hang out here and don't know why he was disliked?I

LOL!

4 hours ago, Lizzing said:

The picture used for the gumbo clue has me perplexed.  I have lived in south Louisiana for the majority of my life and I have NEVER seen a bowl of gumbo with large carrot slices in it.  I actually paused & rewound to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but alas, no--giant pieces of carrot.  I know the 3td guy got it right (and jambalya was a stupid first answer), but damn, that was a strange picture.

Yes, WTF was that? Carrots and what looked like beef chunks in a thin, barely there broth? I am from NOLA, and that looks like no gumbo I have ever made, seen, or eaten before, but when I saw the okra pod and it was specifically mentioned in the clue, I knew that was what they were going for.  

• Love 13

On Warren Zevon's last album, The Wind, he's got a song that mentions goat head gumbo.  Whoo-hooo - two Jeopardy! clues in one line!  (His son said he was an excellent at-home player of J!)

Is okra left whole in gumbo? I always thought it was sliced.

I said "full body xray" for that 4th Amendment clue.  I also said, "DUH," when FJ was revealed.

• Love 5

I got about everything last night leading to my boyfriend saying that he doesn’t know if he wants to play with me anymore. 

I agree with everyone that the gumbo photo was very misleading but the okra is what made me get it. 

Great comment @teebax  Keep them coming. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I'm sure FJ was an instaget for most (if not all!) of you, but I had an attack of severe mental flatulence, and could not come up with a single thing.  New champ might not have looked happy about her wager, but she did exactly the right thing -- if you have a lock game, no need to get greedy.

I answered body scanner for the TSA clue where they wanted X-ray and wonder if that would have been accepted.  I did get goat, ointment, Hanford, Jane Fonda and Robert Redford, and Sea of Cortez.

It took me a moment, but I did get FJ fairly quickly.  Also said body scanner for X-ray.  I got goat (knew that Jamaican cuisine uses a lot of goat - I learned that from Everton on Chef!), Fonda & Redford, Pirelli, and Sea of Cortez.

15 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Rahul seemed robotic to me, and he jumped around the board.

I made the same mistake as Regis on the Julian/Gregorian calendar.

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Constable

I knew who it was but couldn't drag his name out of my brain.  I have a print of his painting of Salisbury Cathedral in which the interplay of light and cloud is stunning.

15 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Regis said Frido Kahla.

• Love 3

I thought Freakin' AJ was gonna break the ringer or his wrist. 

45 minutes ago, Fex said:

I had to pause the game for a laughter break after accidentally answering The Nightman Cometh instead of Iceman.

Ha! Me too.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Optimus Prime?!?  

29 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The Battle of Rome???

The Battle of Salerno????  You mean, the one in World War II?!  Somehow I don't think Virgil was writing about that!

• Love 3

Knew Star Trek, touched 'em all in the Home Run category.

Glad Edgy Buzzer Shaker didn't win.

Champ almost messed herself up going mid-category and finding the DD right away.  It's harder when you haven't seen the easier clues to know how the category is played.

• Love 6

Dammit, John!  All you had to do was not wager like a doofus!  But nooooo!  I'm already sick of Lisa.  No, Alex, I don't think she's "a little weird".  She sounds like she was a precocious brat.  AJ was a buzzer masher extraordinaire.

The only TS I got was Star Trek.

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 10

That whole interview with Lisa was uncomfortable.  I mean, why would you tell Big Bird that your THIRD favorite color was yellow?  And then Alex calls her weird?  I mean, she kinda is, but if writing to fictional characters is weird, well, hi.

Also, her affect makes me cranky.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, mojoween said:

That whole interview with Lisa was uncomfortable.  I mean, why would you tell Big Bird that your THIRD favorite color was yellow?  And then Alex calls her weird?  I mean, she kinda is, but if writing to fictional characters is weird, well, hi.

Also, her affect makes me cranky.

And Alex had to rub buzzer masher extraordinaire's nose in the fact that he (AT) got to keep HIS Olympic torch.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

And Alex had to rub buzzer masher extraordinaire's nose in the fact that he (AT) got to keep HIS Olympic flame. 

It's always about Alex.  Yes, I thought that was worse than the stupid Lisa interview.  She can't be gone fast enough for me.  

• Love 6

Alex always has to one-up everybody. If I make the show, I promise to give him shit if he does that to me. 

Lisa must have been an interesting child. (I say interesting when I really mean annoying.) Both her interviews have been about letters she wrote. I genuinely enjoy her reactions to winning but wouldn't shed a tear if she lost. BTW, her board jumping doesn't bother me because it makes sense. She sticks with bottom clues, which I prefer to wildly jumping all over, a strategy that only works for excellent players to keep opponents off guard. I also like Lisa's gutsy DD wagers, but I wish she'd speed up.  

I did the math and couldn't figure out her wager. That may be why I teach English instead. I'll wait for one of the betting experts to weigh in on it. 

My only get was Star Trek in a wild guess. I've never seen it, and the last Star Wars I saw was Return of the Jedi. (The genre is just not my cup of tea.)

I need to brush up on ancient history. I had no clue on FJ. 

• Love 6

I liked Lisa the first game, especially since she beat Rahul, but she was bugging me tonight. And I usually have a sweet spot for librarians, especially technical ones. Although any tech person who doesn't know Star Trek trivia gets a black mark in my book even without her general annoyingness.

For the wager, I imagine that John was thinking he should bet enough to beat Lisa if they both got the right answer and she bet it all. She must have figured he would do that and then bet to beat him if she got it right and he didn't. Unfortunately, I already deleted the episode, so I can't check the numbers, but that's what it seemed like to me. John would have been fine if he had  bet more conservatively, but I think he didn't want to take the chance that Lisa would bet it all and get it right. Of course, if he had gotten it right, he would have been fine, too. Oh well.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6