Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

31 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

See how well it works?  You're already very grouchy.

Who, moi?  I'm all sweetness and light.  Bawahaha!

5 minutes ago, teebax said:

Amy won me over by making Alex eat his words about her being too young for 80s music. Shut it, Alex. 

Yeah, I did enjoy that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

I think we were all alive when Saddam Hussein was captured and swabbed for DNA.  Again, already spotted the last name, you seriously can't come up with that?

That being a TS blew me away.

27 minutes ago, teebax said:

Amy won me over by making Alex eat his words about her being too young for 80s music. Shut it, Alex.

Seriously.  Who listens only to music released in their lifetime?   No one!  Between radio stations that play a variety of music, your parents listening to "their" music when you’re a kid, modern music services that make suggestions based on your choices, etc. people are exposed to music that was produced before they were born.  It bugs me so much every time he does any variation on his stupid "before your time" routine.

I was thrilled when the FJ category came up, as I had recently quizzed myself on European rivers!  (Yes, I am a dork; I refresh my geography knowledge from time to time, because capitals, rivers, and sometimes even locations of countries to which I haven't been don't stick in my mind otherwise, and geography ignorance is a peeve of mine, so I make sure I don't become one of the people I complain about.)

• Love 11

I LOVED that immediately after Alex’s idiotic  “before your time” comment (because no one ever listens to music from before they were born. There are not rolleyes big enough) Amy went straight for 80s Music, hit the Daily Double, and risked it all! I wanted her to win just cause of that!

• Love 9

The only TS I got were Tina Brown (Tracey's missed DD) & Saddam Hussein, which I could not believe was a TS. A little surprised that Amy was not asked for Weird Al's last name, but I guess Weird Al alone is sufficient. (We are going to see him in concert next month and I think our tickets have Yankovich on them but I am not 100% certain). 'What Ukraine' is not a question IMO, but I guess it suffices in what passes for judging these days. And it gave us all the joy of hearing Alex imitate a Ukranian's broken English. Such fun! I pre-guessed Danube, so it was funny when FJ was concerning the river. 

Peter has earned a lot of money in only 2 games, and he is 2 for 2 in his shirts matching the background. I like him, but was rooting for fellow New Orleanian Amy. Tracey lost me with her lurching toward the end of the game. 

• Love 5

I am confused!  Apparently I saw a different game than y’all did.  The FJ I saw had to do with airports.  My DVR said it was new!  I wonder what game it recorded in the middle of the night last night....

• Love 3

I knew Virginia. "Eastern Shore" is the part that's on the DelMarVa peninsula, on the eastern side of Chesapeake Bay. NC only has the Outer Banks.  Chincoteague's "companion" island, Assateague, is accessed via Maryland. They have two parallel bridges to get there - one for motorized vehicles, the other for pedestrians/bicycles. I was impressed that somebody would walk that or ride a bike over that bridge.  (Pic taken before I learned about the ZOOM feature on my camera.)

2008.06.24.03AssatIslBridge.JPG

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am confused!  Apparently I saw a different game than y’all did.  The FJ I saw had to do with airports.  My DVR said it was new!  I wonder what game it recorded in the middle of the night last night....

You are living in some kind of alternate universe, Browncoat. (Tell us what that's like!) I would have said you saw today's game early, except according to the New York Times, that is not today's FJ category either. Weird. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I first thought Virginia, then overthought and chose North Carolina.

I've BEEN to Chincoteague and I said North Carolina. I know, I'm lucky to find my way home at night. It will happen to you guys too when you get old.

4 hours ago, rubaco said:

You are living in some kind of alternate universe, Browncoat.

Check out the winning lottery number on your next future trip Browncoat, and let us know. I'll share my winnings!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, rubaco said:

You are living in some kind of alternate universe, Browncoat. (Tell us what that's like!) I would have said you saw today's game early, except according to the New York Times, that is not today's FJ category either. Weird. 

It's extra weird -- the champ's name was Peter, and he was a two-day champ at the end!  I have no idea what game I saw.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rubaco said:

The New York Times publishes the FJ category for Jeopardy?  There isn't enough real news in the world?  What is the world coming to?

• Love 1

Well, because I know all of you are on the edges of your seats, wondering about it, the game that recorded in the middle of the night last night was, in fact, Thursday's game.  So now I'm all caught up.  And even though I'd read this thread earlier today, I *still* couldn't get FJ!  I did get Silent Night (a guess), Virginia (I live in VA -- I'd better not miss that one!), and Saddam Hussein. 

I also checked the programming guide, and it has assured me that tonight's game will be broadcast at some ungodly hour late tonight (or early tomorrow, depending on your point of view).  Hopefully, it is not lying to me, and I can watch tonight's game tomorrow. 

March Madness = driving me mad.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

But they asked a Simpsons question, and one about my favorite episode of the series and the best song of the series. 

"Stop!  The human is about to escape.  Get your paws off me you dirty ape!" 

I love legitimate theater. 

giphy.gif

This play has everything!

• Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, Browncoat said:

Oh, wait, the guess of pants for espadrilles was kind of goofy.

Yeah, but maybe not as goofy as me calling the Lafayette Escadrille the "Lafayette Espadrille" in a conversation with my best friend about a PBS series on America in WWI.

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, teebax said:

I like Zach.

I hated him, but couldn't really tell you why other than his accent.  Which a) is not his fault, and b) Southern accents don't usually bother me.

• Love 3

Continuing the Paris/Mike Teevee controversy, TMZ just did a story on it. They interviewed Paris and showed a clip on the show. The full clip is here:

http://www.tmz.com/page/3/

Because TMZ constantly updates its site, that might move to /4/, just fyi. Anyway, the clip they showed on tv also contained a woman player, maybe the one who dissed Trebek,  but my dogs all started barking right then and I missed the audio. Harvey Levin did comment that Trebek is "old and crotchety" now, which made me laugh that a lawyer sees Trebek the same way I do.

The video clip is worth watching, it's short. But, while Trebek is a jackass, Paris is pretty full of himself too.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Paris is pretty full of himself too.

He read pompous ass to me just based on his show appearance. I didn't know why specifically, but he came off that way.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, teebax said:

He read pompous ass to me just based on his show appearance.

I was listening to, not watching, that episode so missed everything, including that some player was named Paris. He's sort of made a career out of having that one role decades ago. I've seen the movie a couple of times and, frankly, don't remember Mike Teevee although I remember all the other kids. My brain blocked him from my life twice it seems.

I did make a point of sitting with idle hands to watch today though, so am anticipating comments about today's players!

• Love 3

That game had a bunch of difficult clues and I felt bad for the contestants.

I got Cerberus, but maybe not in time to write it down. I got hung up on Hesiod instead of the fawning.

• Love 5

I hated today's game.  I hate to see Peter go.  Rahul's board jumping and starting in the middle made me instantly dislike him.  Hope he's a one and done.  Dan looked like he was in pain the entire time, probably from flailing and mashing the buzzer.

I got Tsar Nicholas II, Miami (DD), and Portland cement.

Boy, it took a great deal of brain power to pull out Cerberus but I managed.  I kept saying, "That three headed dog at the mouth of Hades".  I wonder if they would have accepted that?

• Love 14

Yay for you on Cerberus, Carpe!  My husband, who knows a lot about mythology, said Cyclops, and I thought it was the Minotaur.  We both thought the clue implied that the monster, whoever it was, lived in some kind of enclosed space (the cave or the maze).  Cerberus never occurred to either of us.  I think there were lots of confusing and badly written clues today.

I was rooting for Dan just as a default, because I thought Peter's FJ answer from yesterday should've been nixed and Rahul was making the game incomprehensible with all the board jumping.  But Dan was hopeless.  I think he was just too nervous.

I've obviously still got that hat on.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I kept saying, "That three headed dog at the mouth of Hades". 

And I spent my time trying to think of the name of Hagrid's multi-headed dog that was guarding the Sorcerer's Stone. I knew that wasn't the answer but it was more fun for me than thinking of a mythological beast.

I thought there would be a lot more hate here for Rahul's board jumping, which didn't even make sense after the DDs were found. It stuck me as funny, it was so randomly crazy.

• Love 8

I was rooting for Dan just as a default, because I thought Peter's FJ answer from yesterday should've been nixed and Rahul was making the game incomprehensible with all the board jumping.  But Dan was hopeless.  I think he was just too nervous.

I was rooting for Dan too and am not a fan of new champ Rahul. I don't get his $1 bet. Was he trying to be funny? What would have been really funny is if Dan had gotten FJ right and beaten Rahul by that dollar. Hope he's a one and done.

For TS I got pineapple and was bummed Octavia Butler was a TS; Kindred is an amazing book. I had no clue for FJ.

• Love 9
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought there would be a lot more hate here for Rahul's board jumping

How much more do you want, Saber?  Do we march at midnight with flaming torches?  Send him anthrax in the mail?  We hated it!

9 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got pineapple and was bummed Octavia Butler was a TS; Kindred is an amazing book. I had no clue for FJ.

I was profoundly embarrassed not to get Octavia Butler.  At first I thought Octavia Spencer, but I knew that was the actress.  Then I said Attica Scott, who's an African-American woman who writes mysteries, but I knew that was wrong.  My only defenses were that I've never seen a photo of either woman and that except for a couple of books I worked on recently, I haven't read sci-fi since I was a kid.  But she's a big deal, and I should've known her name.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And I spent my time trying to think of the name of Hagrid's multi-headed dog that was guarding the Sorcerer's Stone. I knew that wasn't the answer but it was more fun for me than thinking of a mythological beast.

I thought there would be a lot more hate here for Rahul's board jumping, which didn't even make sense after the DDs were found. It stuck me as funny, it was so randomly crazy.

Fluffy! I was thinking about him, too.

I came up with Cerberus right away, since the clue was basically about tail-wagging. It had to be a doggy! Then I questioned myself because the clue said "both ears", and doesn't Cerberus have six ears? But I didn't change my answer.

I love Octavia Butler. I was embarrassed not to get Alex Haley... I knew it, but his name just wouldn't come to mind.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I was rooting for Dan too and am not a fan of new champ Rahul. I don't get his $1 bet. Was he trying to be funny?

Rahul had exactly twice Dan's total, so Rahul bet to win if they were both correct. Rahul betting $0 with Dan betting it all and getting it right would have triggered the tiebreaker question.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Rahul had exactly twice Dan's total, so Rahul bet to win if they were both correct. Rahul betting $0 with Dan betting it all and getting it right would have triggered the tiebreaker question.

Ah got it. My reasoning was clouded by board jumping inspired hate.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
prepositions matter
  • Love 5

I don't always go for the long clues in faraway places, but I loved the Faberge Museum clues; those eggs were so beautiful. And I've been fascinated by the Czars ever since studying European history in high school. I knew the Nicholas II and Alexander III TS's. I also knew Gustav Holst was British despite his Germanic-sounding name, thanks to a great little source of info called Bluff Your Way in Music by Peter Gammond. And I love bosc pears. I was actually surprised that FJ was a TS. 

• Love 6

I could have sat here until I died and not come up with FJ; when I say religion/mythology is my worst J! subject matter, I am not kidding.

Unlike the contestants, however, I did get portal vein, Dallas, Portland cement, pineapple, Octavia Butler, bosc pear, and maybe another TS I've already forgotten.

Didn't Dan say "Godfather: Part II," and isn't the film title actually The Godfather: Part II?

I liked the pluralization and fruits & vegetables categories.  Also the Any “Port” category – I usually do well in categories where every answer starts with a certain set of letters.  (I’ve never heard a steakhouse referred to as a porterhouse; I got it based on it being a cut of steak, but that tidbit was new to me.)

I thought the storm category clues would have been better suited to the first round than DJ.

• Love 7

Watched the last two days with sons #1 and #2 home for spring break, which just meant more answers shouted out before I have the chance to think of them.  Son #2 had Buzzfeed and Cerberus before Alex finished reading the clues.

I ran the 80s Music category.

The ISTJ in me can't handle the board jumping.  Finish the category, people, and do it in the right order.  The new champ must go.

• Love 6

I got bosc pear, and that was it. For the DD that was abridged, I went back and forth betw abridged and condensed, settling on condensed.

I've never heard of The Orville.

I could have sworn that instead of 'backdrop' in one clue, Alex said 'backthrob.'

When one guy said, "What is Atlanta?" I hated that Alex responded, "No, you picked the wrong one." What the hell does THAT mean? It's not like it was a choice betw Romulus and Remus. Or betw the Dead Sea and the Red Sea. (I chose Red Sea.)

In the Fabergé category, I didn't say Nicholas II because I thought that had already come up in another clue.

For FJ I said Minotaur, thinking of the maze. I didn't really think it fit the clue re ears and tail. I also considered the Sphinx.

• Love 6

I liked thr pluralizations catrgory. That's prettt much all I liked. 

My gets were bosc, abridged DD, pineapple, Nicholas II, Orville, Miami DD, Dallas (f*** Dallas), and guessed Sphinx for FJ. 

We saw the threat of the tiebreaker today and how it affected wagering. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I've never heard of The Orville.

This answer surprised me too, but only because I had totally forgotten The Orville. It's a "sort of" comedy rip off of Star Trek with Seth McFarlane as the star. I watched the first couple of episodes, then something else more interesting was on the other channel, like Watch Paint Dry episode 5. It was on Fox last fall. Critics hated it.

39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

When one guy said, "What is Atlanta?" I hated that Alex responded, "No, you picked the wrong one." What the hell does THAT mean?

Atlanta vs. Atlantis?

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I’ve never heard a steakhouse referred to as a porterhouse

Hey Bastet, this is what I found on Wikipedia:

Porterhouse can refer to: 1. Porterhouse (horse), American Champion race horse; 2. Porterhouse Brewery; 3. Porter House New York, a steakhouse in New York City (Trebek no doubt has eaten here, hence the clue); 4. Porterhouse steak; 5. Porterhouse, a fictional Cambridge college in the novel Porterhouse Blue by Tom Sharpe.

• Love 2
On 3/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, teebax said:

I was even more annoyed that he laughed at her DD bet of "only" $200.  When she couldn't come up with an answer and "only" lost $200, he should have apologized.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, dcalley said:

Look at people's feet. Apparently booties are mandatory!

I've been there, and yes, they do.  They issue them to you on the way into the museum and you have to wear them throughout.  It's actually a former royal palace, so the building itself is also an incredible work of historical art.

11 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

was bummed Octavia Butler was a TS; Kindred is an amazing book. I had no clue for FJ.

11 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was profoundly embarrassed not to get Octavia Butler.  At first I thought Octavia Spencer, but I knew that was the actress.  Then I said Attica Scott, who's an African-American woman who writes mysteries, but I knew that was wrong.  My only defenses were that I've never seen a photo of either woman and that except for a couple of books I worked on recently, I haven't read sci-fi since I was a kid.  But she's a big deal, and I should've known her name.

I absolutely adore Octavia E. Butler (and when I sang out her name in my living room, I included the middle initial!), and even though most of the photos I've seen of her were younger, and it's certainly possible someone else has a book called Kindred, NO ONE is going to have a book called Xenogenesis except Ms. Butler.  She won a MacArthur Genius award when they were still called that, and all of her books and short stories are really thought-provoking and original.  Some of them make people really uncomfortable though--I've read comments about Xenogenesis online that were full of hatred and claimed that it was anti-human, anti-woman, and so on.  I love that she evokes so much passion even in people who (IMO) didn't remotely understand the story.  (In trying to be positive--otherwise I feel that narrow bigots are declaiming their fear of the unknown.)

And thus ends out Octavia E. Butler PSA for the say!

11 hours ago, Fex said:

Fluffy! I was thinking about him, too.

I came up with Cerberus right away, since the clue was basically about tail-wagging. It had to be a doggy! Then I questioned myself because the clue said "both ears", and doesn't Cerberus have six ears? But I didn't change my answer.

I love Octavia Butler. I was embarrassed not to get Alex Haley... I knew it, but his name just wouldn't come to mind.

After seeing all of everyone else's answers, I feel a little bad about how derisive I was as the players' answers were revealed, since to me it was clearly a guard dog, and even though I immediately got Cerberus, I also checked to see if I could think of another famous Greek guard dog, and couldn't.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Fex said:

I first thought Minotaur, then changed to Cerberus, but changed back to Minotaur because of the "both ears" part of the clue.  I really didn't think Minotaur was right, but Cerberus has six ears!  Oh well.

And just in case there hasn't been enough vitriol spewed towards Rahul, add mine to the bucket.  I HAAAAAATE his stupid-ass board jumping and DD hunting.  So very annoying, and I'm not sure whether I'm happy or not that I found this episode and recorded it. 

I did get Bosc, the surprising TS of pineapple, Nicholas II, and Miami.  Hawaii = pineapples, y'all.

• Love 3

Ugh. Since we were pre-empted for b-ball on Thursday and Friday, my dvr faithfully tried to record the overnight showing. Thursday worked OK, but last night the game must have run late and I got Wheel of Fortune and the first ten minutes of Jeopardy, stopping halfway through the interviews. I take it that board-hopping Rahul won. Yuck. At least Peter won a nice amount of money in his two days. 

I'll head off to Reddit and see if I can find the full episode post.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kathira said:

last night the game must have run late and I got Wheel of Fortune and the first ten minutes of Jeopardy, stopping halfway through the interviews. I take it that board-hopping Rahul won.

Yes, and yes.  I recommend padding the time for your DVR -- I generally set it for the maximum overrun (60 minutes, I think, for mine).  We could probably set a manual timer, too, but I'd have to figure out how!  :)

• Love 2

This was exactly my reasoning. And I shrugged as I said it, knowing there were four unaccounted for ears. Maybe he hides two of his heads upon being the welcoming committee, to look less threatening.

I think the contestant got the Hurricane Center and the Weather Channel mixed up. WC is in Atlanta (actually, in a NW suburb of Atlanta) but the HC is near where hurricanes used to usually show up - Miami. Now they seem to be at least half the time in the Gulf, but they do have to kind of slide by south Florida.

• Love 4
On 3/13/2018 at 12:26 PM, forumfish said:

I immediately pictured them, yet the words "Social Security" came out of my mouth-- blame the thyroid.

Never knew you could blame the thyroid. I like it, think I'll use it.

On 3/14/2018 at 5:54 PM, teebax said:

Oh my God, they killed Hawking. Those bastards! 

It's amazing how frequently that happens. It is almost like the Sports Illustrated curse.

What's the Sports Illustrated curse.

I must say, this season has been a bit eerie with so many clues referencing the recently dead (and Hawking, right on the day). Coincidental, of course, but still...

On 3/14/2018 at 6:50 PM, saber5055 said:

Trebek irked me when he chastised that woman for turning a question answer into a question/question answer. It's difficult enough to solve the clue and buzz in first without having to evaluate that it's a question so one doesn't need to add "What is." Nuts to that! I'm adding it regardless of the answer. But Trebek was actually getting cranky about it. And to that, I say: "What is ... Get over it Trebek."

I wondered about whether they were going to require a question answer - and thought they wouldn't. But any prospective Jeopardy contestant is going to drill it in that they need to ask a question, and loosening it up just won't work.

On 3/14/2018 at 7:40 PM, Conotocarious said:

Nobody knew Ron Chernow? Everyone goes on and on about Hamilton and no one knows who wrote the book that inspired the damn thing?

Funny thing, my husband is currently reading Chernow's Grant book and almost didn't get it. I don't read too much in the way of historical bios, so I don't remember the names, though I recognize them.

On 3/15/2018 at 9:39 AM, saber5055 said:

I knew this about Washington D.C. senators not having voting power but knew nothing about the electoral college. So I said ZERO for FJ.

I know nothing about the electoral college (though I have an OPINION, lol), but something about the wording of the question led me down the path that there'd be two senators, but I stretched to guess 1 for the representative.

On 3/15/2018 at 6:56 PM, teebax said:

Yeah, my kids didn't get Raffi or other children's music, they got Petty, the Eagles, and all the good (by our standards) performers - including Big Band and other music that was earlier than we were born. But even if they didn't, Guardians of the Galaxy has revived 80's music for the younger folk.

13 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I loved Octavia Butler, and fortunately, the book mentioned in the clue was one I remembered.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This answer surprised me too, but only because I had totally forgotten The Orville. It's a "sort of" comedy rip off of Star Trek with Seth McFarlane as the star. I watched the first couple of episodes, then something else more interesting was on the other channel, like Watch Paint Dry episode 5. It was on Fox last fall. Critics hated it.

I stopped watching it about the same time, but when there was nothing new on, I watched the episodes stacked up on my DVR and liked it (as light fare). It is no Galaxy Quest, but not terrible. Still, critics were never going to like it. Even so, I didn't come up with the answer.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I know nothing about the electoral college (though I have an OPINION, lol), but something about the wording of the question led me down the path that there'd be two senators, but I stretched to guess 1 for the representative.

I always get the question about minimum representation right, because when I was in high school government as a senior (and thus, of course, the most politically aware of my life!), my home state, Idaho, actually got the population to elevate from 1 to 2 representatives.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Ohhhh, riiiiight. I'd completely forgotten about that. So the ship was named after the Wright brother?

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Hawaii = pineapples, y'all.

Yes yes, I know, but I just didn't think pineapples had a smooth variety, or whatever the clue was. I went with papaya.

• Love 4

Rahul's board jumping was making me crazy. Not only do I like things to be in order, it means I have to pay attention & not do 3 other things while watching. 

TS I got were Bosc pear, abridged (Dan's DD), pineapple, Nicholas II, Alexander III, Miami. A $600 clue that boiled down to "what is the significance of Easter" ? SMH

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Fluffy! Dr Toothbrush & I both knew the answer was the guard of Hades but could not think of its name. 

15 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I was profoundly embarrassed not to get Octavia Butler.  At first I thought Octavia Spencer, but I knew that was the actress. 

I couldn't get past Octavia Spencer either. 

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

When one guy said, "What is Atlanta?" I hated that Alex responded, "No, you picked the wrong one." What the hell does THAT mean?

I hate that too. Like he's a mind reader who knows what everyone is thinking.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Yeah, my kids didn't get Raffi or other children's music, they got Petty, the Eagles, and all the good (by our standards) performers - including Big Band and other music that was earlier than we were born. But even if they didn't, Guardians of the Galaxy has revived 80's music for the younger folk.

Regarding GotG, 70s music, actually.  Better, as it's further back from when they were born.  

Alex is ridiculous with the "before your time" stuff.  He has no idea what frame of reference someone's coming from.  I'm a later Baby Boomer and my parents were much older when I was born.  Music was always a large part of our household and my musical frame of reference stretches all the way back to the late 1920s/early 1930s as that was what my parents listened to; big bands, crooners.  Also, my mom loved opera and although it wasn't to my taste, (I've only been to the opera once,) I have a pretty good knowledge of it as I heard many of her recordings played frequently.  Comes in handy when there's a J! opera category!  

Additionally, Baby Boomers were/are the first generation to have grown up with rock and roll.  There was a marked difference between the types of popular music enjoyed by parents of BBs and what the BBs themselves listened to; a huge musical generation gap.  That gap is much smaller with successive generations as they are also listening to rock and roll, different variations of it, of course, (metal, hip-hop, EDM) but still drawing from the same sources.  Accordingly, they're more apt to have been exposed to at least some popular music from many prior decades.  In other words, knock it off, Alex!

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Kerri Okie said:

I was even more annoyed that he laughed at her DD bet of "only" $200.

Trebek annoys me no end when he comments about any player's DD bet. I especially hate when he says, "HELL-low" when someone bets big. WTH Trebek, why not tell people what they are suppose to wager to make you happy or just make their bets for them.

43 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

So the ship was named after the Wright brother?

That might have been mentioned in one of the episodes, but I watched the first few and don't remember it being said. I had no idea, so the clue/answer was a surprise to this watcher as well.

2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think the contestant got the Hurricane Center and the Weather Channel mixed up. WC is in Atlanta (actually, in a NW suburb of Atlanta) but the HC is near where hurricanes used to usually show up - Miami. Now they seem to be at least half the time in the Gulf, but they do have to kind of slide by south Florida.

I'm thinking this is what Trebek meant when he told the player he "picked the wrong one" when player said "Atlanta." Trebek read on his notes that there is a Hurricane Center in Miami and the Weather Channel in Atlanta, while the rest of us just thought he was just being obtuse and snarky. You know, like every day.

• Love 7