Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: The Dragon And The Wolf

• Start Topic

I kept wanting Theon to shout out "Hoo-Yeah!" a la Peggy Hill. "That's right Bobby. As you can see, I do not have testicles. Where's your secret weapon now?"

What did the Hound mean when he told his brother he knew what was coming for him? I need to know.

So I see my prediction of the WW dragon spitting out a combination of cubed ice, shaved ice and filtered water didn't pan out, but what is it spitting? Is that lightning?

Cersei is totally the popular girl who gets jealous when the pretty girl from out of town transfers to our school. She's already spreading rumors about Dany being a whore.

• Love 21

Cersei's the only schemer left.

Schemers aren't all negative---Varys is a great schemer, smarter than Cersei, and not crazy!

I KNEW those Stark girls weren't actually against each other. Great play, Starks! And SO glad to see LF go. I was over his endless shit-stirring several seasons ago.

Thrilled to see Jamie leave Cersei. He's decided his word means something, so he's off to fight the good fight. Plus, finally sick of his sister and her megalomania.

there is SO  a love triangle between Tyrion/Dany/Jon next year, even if half of it is unrequited.

Make that a quadrangle---don't forget Jorah.

The ice dragon was well done, and the blue ice/flame was well done. I really didn't know what was going to be up with a white walker ice dragon. All we can hope is that when he sees his mother, he'll turn on his new step-father.

What reason would Euron have used for up and leaving if there hadn't been a wight?

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

~Incest, incest~

~Incest is so much fun~

Can't have gay dudes on this show unless they're eunuchs, but blood relative sex is A-OK.

Well, to be fair, they did show that Oberyn, Ellaria and Yara were all bisexual, right? I don't remember any gay eunuchs though.

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, KaleyFirefly said:

Well, to be fair, they did show that Oberyn, Ellaria and Yara were all bisexual, right?

Did they show Yara with a man? I think she preferred the ladies. Although she did say she was, "Up for anything."

• Love 3
Just now, Libby96 said:

So much going on in this episode, but my favorite little moment was this...

Bran: "I became the three-eyed raven."

Sam:  "Ooooh!  ....... I don't know what that means."

Something about his delivery of that line was just perfect.

My problem is I think that's exactly what Sansa said when Bran said told her was the 3ER. "I don't know what that means."

Maybe it was an intentional humorous callback.

• Love 2

As soon as Bran was like "Need to tell Jon that he's actually a Targaryen when he gets here!" about what he saw, I knew it was going to cut to Jon and Daenerys getting it on.  I'm almost surprised Bran didn't actually see that in a vision.  Of course, with him, I don't know if he would freak out or just calmly tell Sam "Too late, he's already banging Aunty Dany!"

So, the summit actually happened!  Liked seeing all the reunions and interactions like Tyrion/Bronn, Tyrion/Podrick (!), Brienne/The Hound (!!!), and The Mountain and The Hound squaring off.  And the wright ended up even being effective at freaking Cersei out!  Of course, I should have known that good old Jon would almost fuck things up by his inability to tell a lie, so when Cersei asks him to stay out of the war, he's all "Can't do!  Dany's my bae now!"  Sigh.... at least it looks like Cersei never intended to go through with any deal, since she and Euron had that whole deal plotted out, but still, Jon may not be Ned's son, but he really is becoming him, huh?

All the stuff with Cersei and Tyrion was fantastic.  It was nice seeing Lena Headey and Peter Dinklage together again, because they are always splendid together.  That said, Tyrion really has lost any claim that he's the "smart" Lannister, because Cersei has pretty much played his ass from beginning to end.  It's like he peaked after he killed Tywin.  At this point, Jaime is smarter.  At least he has the sene to finally haul ass and get away from Cersei.  I wonder if he'll do his own thing or join his brother and Team Dany.

Glad everyone who predicted that Sansa and Arya were actually playing Littlefinger ended up being right!  Fare thee well, Lord Baelish!  You were a smart person to be fair, but you definitely overplayed your hand this time around, and suffered the consequences.  I'm glad out of the two big schemers, Varys is the one to outlive Littlefinger, because he's always been better at when to show his cards and when not to.

So, after a little pep talk, Theon is finally standing up for himself again and it planning on leading the remaining loyal Greyjoys to find Yara.

Episode ends with Eastwatch getting royal fucked by the Night King and his new icy dragon.  Doesn't look good for Tormund or Berric, but if anyone can survive an avalanche like that, it would be them.  Especially Tormund.  At this point, I think the only thing that could kill that ginger badass would be Brienne herself (either by combat or breaking his heart.)

Not quite as great as last season, but still one of the most thrilling shows out there.  Now, we only have one season left.  I hope we don't have to wait too long, but I'm worried about those rumors of it not coming back till 2019.  Don't think I can handle that!

• Love 7

There is really nothing stopping the Night King from flying the dragon to every town and just leveling them with it's fire - other than the fact that there would be no show.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

See ladies, when you think we're ignoring you, we actually are paying attention.

Dear Aiming for Yoko - I just realized what your name means after puzzling over your avatar and realizing the photo looked familiar. Hahaha!  Very clever.  I totally buy it.  Thanks!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, LilaFowler said:

"Jon Sand," Bran? Are Targ bastards really named Sand? That doesn't seem right.

"Sand" is the bastard name for people born in Dorne. Like Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I kept wanting Theon to shout out "Hoo-Yeah!" a la Peggy Hill. "That's right Bobby. As you can see, I do not have testicles. Where's your secret weapon now?"

What did the Hound mean when he told his brother he knew what was coming for him? I need to know.

So I see my prediction of the WW dragon spitting out a combination of cubed ice, shaved ice and filtered water didn't pan out, but what is it spitting? Is that lightning?

Cersei is totally the popular girl who gets jealous when the pretty girl from out of town transfers to our school. She's already spreading rumors about Dany being a whore.

LOL. Amazing. To this day my friends and I still love that scene from King of the Hill.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Popples said:

"Sand" is the bastard name for people born in Dorne. Like Ellaria Sand and the Sand Snakes.

Exactly. Bastards aren't named for the noble family who sired them but for the region where they're born, and the Tower of Joy is in Dorne.

I asked this question weeks ago on FB--"shouldn't Jon Snow's name be Jon Sand?" Glad it was answered in this episode!

• Love 2

--I was a bit underwhelmed w/ Little Finger's ending.  I wanted something much more drawn out.  I'll get over it.  He deserved a horrible ending, yet as others have said, I'll miss his constant intrigues.

--I had convinced myself we'd get to see Clegane Bowl, so I was bummed that it didn't happen.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Yes, because it can not possibly be said enough times: just kill fucking Cersei already! You came to discuss a truce. She decided she didn't want a truce. Well then, okay, grant her wish and let the hostilities continue. Dracarys, bitch. You've only got like four people in the government anyway. Kill Cersei, Frankenmountain, Dr. Mountainstein, and probably Jaime, and that's it. Tell the castle staff what color drapes and carpeting you want, and go kill some zombies.

Love it!

• Love 8

See ladies, when you think we're ignoring you, we actually are paying attention.

I wish there was a laughter emoji for this statement, like on Facebook. This is hilariously true.

I found this episode very satisfying.

So much tension and personal beef between characters in that dragon pit! So many awesome cutting soap opera glances. 

Arya looked around that room at all those soldiers like, "Shit, now I gotta kill all these dudes. Ok, let's get this show on the road." Littlefinger grovelling like the worm he is was so delicious! His death pleased me. I wished they had shown Arya wiping the blood off the dagger.

I was quite touched by Theon and Jon's conversation. Theon seemed hearten by it, and so grateful for Jon's forgiveness.  I'll admit, I am pulling for his redemption, much like Tyra was pulling for Tiffany.

Cersei let both her brothers live. Huh! The look on her face when Jaime walked out on her was priceless. 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

Can't have gay dudes on this show unless they're eunuchs, but blood relative sex is A-OK.

Well you can....and then you die a horrible death. See: Renly and Loras.

• Love 4

Meh, I cant say that I was actually surprised the way that things played out in the season finale. it was all pretty pointing in only one direction 

As expected...

1) cersei is the queen of the double and tripled faced masterful lying. Her backing out of helping to fight with Dany and jon was just her style as deceit is no stranger to her and the only thing she knows.

2) jon and dany of course find themselves in bed together after all those "stares at each other longingly"as tyrion said before lol

3) the BEST pleasure i personally had from the episode was the death of lord baliesh! woo hoo! so glad to see him off'ed from the show. so happy to see that the stark sisters are close again and were working together after all

Cue the music from the wizard of oz, " ding dong the witch is dead, which old witch? the wicked witch. ding dong the wicked witch is dead " hahaha : D

4) of course the ice dragon breathes ice now and NK rides him like a little pony at the annual state fair

5) jon's true identity is finally revealed and now this begins another yet game of musical chairs or thrones in this case lol

Cant wait for season 8 ...

Edited by STRIDER1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Duke Silver said:

--I was a bit underwhelmed w/ Little Finger's ending.  I wanted something much more drawn out.  I'll get over it.  He deserved a horrible ending, yet as others have said, I'll miss his constant intrigues.

--I had convinced myself we'd get to see Clegane Bowl, so I was bummed that it didn't happen.

No but you got the Hound foreshadowing it. Clegane Bowl is on for next season for sure.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, TrininisaScorp said:

So Jon is Aegon.  And, I think that means he has a better claim on the Iron Throne?  Not sure how that works, though.  Those of you better schooled in the mythology might know better than I. 

Technically, the Targaryans (Mad King and Rhaegar) were deposed by Robert Baratheon, so wouldn't Gendry, as Robert's son, be the heir to the Iron Throne?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, CletusMusashi said:

3. Why did they show so much of Jon's butt while hiding Dany? Boooooo! And he didn't even bend the knee for her. 

I thought Emilia Clarke stated several seasons ago that she did not want to do nudity anymore.

• Love 12

So Bran's really just the two-and-a-half eyed raven?  Clearly I'm lost on how his visions and knowledge work...or don't. 

And as much as I hate her and wish Jamie had cut her throat at the end, I still took some kind of strange comfort in Cersei revealing she'd lied about helping Jon & Dany. Winter is here and everyone is fucked, but that crazy bitch and her evil ways remain a nice little constant.

(Also, can someone please tell DB Weiss that it's Cer-SEE, not Cer-SAY?! You write the show, for crying out loud, how do you not know how to pronounce it?! lol)

• Love 4

I love Sansa so much and am so glad to see her being smart. Very cool that she and Arya plotted together, but wonder when it happened.

Does Tyrion somehow know Jon and Dany are related, or was he just concerned at the end about the messiness of a relationship between them because of their alliance?

3 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

I thought Emilia Clarke stated several seasons ago that she did not want to do nudity anymore.

I believe that's true, yeah.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bmoore4026 said:

"You stand accused of treason.  You stand accused of murder.  How do you plead...Lord Baelish."  Right there, is one of the greatest TV moments of all time.

You made the wrong move pitting Stark sister against Stark sister, Littlefinger.  Now ya dead.

Such a great moment. I really wanted them to be playing him. It was very satisfying to watch his schemes bite him on the ass.

1 hour ago, NeenerNeener said:

I knew Cersei was going to screw them over.

It's the one constant in the GOT universe. Cersei is a terrible person.

1 hour ago, kieyra said:

I couldn't watch Sindragosa (sorry WoW joke) take down the wall. Can someone reassure me that Tormund survived?

Really excellent episode, heart in throat, and as long as Tormund made it I am 100% fine with tonight's body count.

We didn't see him die on screen, so I refuse to believe he didn't make it and isn't hightailing it to Winterfell until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, The Kings Foot said:

That conversation between Tyrion and Cersei was so subtle. Tyrion got himself completely manipulated. Hes not the clever man he thinks he is. Cersei purposely threw him off balance by laying Tommen and Myrcellas deaths at his feet accusing him of destroying House Lannisters.

Ugh, I looooooved how Myrcella's death was somehow Tyrion's fault. If Cersei hadn't rigged the trial, Oberyn wouldn't have died and her child would have been happy. And don't get me started on Tommen who killed himself because Cersei blew up everyone. How would Tywin have prevented that exactly? He was for the Tyrell pairing.

1 hour ago, charmed1 said:

I thought he meant Arya but not really sure in retrospect how he would know she was coming for him.

When Daenerys showed up on the dragon, I told my husband that Cersei wanted her dead even more for daring to make a better entrance.

So much to digest! The downfall of LF. Finally getting through to Jamie (I like to think Brienne did it with her willingness to even abandon honor). I thought Jon's response was noble but it made me think of Ghostbusters (Ray, when someone asks if you are a god, you say yes!).

Tyrion came across as a bit creepy in the hallway, but I suspect his concern was whether Daenerys was going to be compromised. He told Cersei she was alive because Daenerys was smart enough to have a hand who would talk her out of things. She went with Jon's recommendation and then was sleeping with him. 

I am sure I will have a lot more later, but overall that was awesome.

Edited by The Companion
Autocorrect fail
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, madam magpie said:

Does Tyrion somehow know Jon and Dany are related, or was he just concerned at the end about the messiness of a relationship between them because of their alliance?

I was wondering about that as well. Bran stated that nobody else knew about Jon's true parentage besides him, but who really knows? Hell, the information was in plain sight at the Citadel as long as you picked the right book off the shelf. It's not entirely implausible that Tyrion somehow found out. I have to believe his expression meant something more besides jealousy over Jon getting to bang the head cheerleader. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, KaleyFirefly said:

Technically, the Targaryans (Mad King and Rhaegar) were deposed by Robert Baratheon, so wouldn't Gendry, as Robert's son, be the heir to the Iron Throne?

No, unlike Jonny, Gendry's parents definitely never married. 

So, can we call Jon a dragonrider now? Or just say that was two dragons riding each other.

1 minute ago, madam magpie said:
5 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

I believe that's true, yeah.

It's not. She showed her boobs last season after burning the khals, remember? She's avoided it in bedroom scenes but never ruled it out.

Why did we never see Theon ask Dany for help saving Yara? And all this time I'd assumed Ramsay took his penis but left the balls because that seems the more sadistic option, but clearly there's something wrong with me for even wondering about that.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, doram said:

That scene made my twitchy-eye twitch harder because Jon, even as a bastard, would never have been Sand.

Bastard names are given to acknowledged bastards according to the "Kingdom" their noble/high-born parent belong to, not according to where they were born.

So a bastard born to a Northern Lord would be a Snow regardless of where he was born. Excellent example - our own Jon Snow who is Snow even though he was (assumed) to be born somewhere in the South.

Therefore, a Targaryen bastard would have been Waters. 

Bran should not have said that Jon was Jon Sand but that he was Jon Waters.

(And if his parents had not married, and Jon had never been claimed by Rhaegar, he would have just been Lyanna's bastard, and therefore remained Jon Snow!). 

And yet again, the showrunners proving that they have no fundamental knowledge of their source material and they can't be bothered to do the homework of a 20 second search on AWOIAF.

No.

I can think of practical examples that say you are wrong, but I don't want to get into book talk.

Also did a 20 second search on AWOIAF out of curiosity, and the results disagreed with you there, as well.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Delta1212 said:

I can think of practical examples that say you are wrong, but I don't want to get into book talk.

Also did a 20 second search on AWOIAF out of curiosity, and the results disagreed with you there, as well.

As did I. (I consulted the TV-specific GOT wiki which was very clear that bastards are named for the region, not the father.)

Edited by CeeBeeGee
clarification
  • Love 5

Just like I thought:  Operation NitWight accomplished nothing except giving the Night King a new weapon with which to destroy the planet.

Cersei, you treacherous bitch.  I hope you watch Jaime get killed and then give agonizing birth to a troll before being stabbed in the gut with the Ice King's javelin.

Why was Tyrion skulking outside Dany's room looking all sad that Jon and Dany were, uh, together?  He wants a successor to Dany, right?  And even if he too believes she can't get pregnant, then what's the harm in a fling between allies?

I don't care if Jon is too honest, I heart him anyway.  I really wish they'd shown more of the love scene between him and Dany.

Who is coming for the Mountain?

Jaime, maybe you grew a little bit of spine, but what good are you to anyone now?

How utterly useless is Bran???  Has he ever prevented an evil or provided useful information in a timely way??

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

It's not. She showed her boobs last season after burning the khals, remember? She's avoided it in bedroom scenes but never ruled it out.

I believe she's said she makes exceptions if she believes a scene is empowering and not gratuitous (like when she walked out of the fire), but my understanding is that she keeps a no-nudity clause in her contract. A protracted, naked sex scene doesn't strike me as fitting her criteria. (I pass no negative judgment on this, BTW, and say good for her.)

17 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

Strictly speaking though, are Jon and Dany committing incest? They are aunt and nephew, right? Jon is the son of Dany's eldest brother. I think in some culture in real life, that kind of relationship is not prohibited.

Maybe, but I think they're definitely setting this up to be a huge problem--practically for a variety of reasons, and emotionally for Jon and Dany. I also fully expect Dany to get pregnant. Jon's comment seemed like such obvious foreshadowing.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Katalina said:

All we can hope is that when he sees his mother, he'll turn on his new step-father.

It will also likely be not only his mother, but also her Targaryen nephew / husband? 

Did they show Yara with a man? I think she preferred the ladies. Although she did say she was, "Up for anything."

I don't think we have seen Yara with a man. As for "Up for anything," I think it was more that unlike Euron, Dany wouldn't have to sleep with Yara in return for the troop transports, just support her claim for the islands. I don't think being "up for anything" is necessarily a statement of bisexuality on Yara's part. Instead, she was making a pass at Dany and would certainly be welcome to any advances on her part.

1 hour ago, mirrorrim said:

Was this the first time the opening credits showed a location that the episode didn't visit? They showed the citadel but Sam was long gone...

No. From the Game of Thrones Wiki: First, as a rule, every episode's map must contain King's Landing, Winterfell, The Wall, and "wherever Daenerys is at the moment" - even if Daenerys does not appear in that episode. 

That being said, they'll have to severely update their model of The Wall or what's left of it.

Edited by DrScottie

The Bran & Sam Show exposition chat regarding Jon's heritage is one of those few small payoffs from a truncated season.  He's legit?  Boom, done!

Big, big problem with a 747 dragon zooming about with motheaten wings.  Maybe the undead can stump around on footless shattered leg-bones, but aerodynamics are a thing.

I was very disappointed with a craven Littlefinger, there at the end.  He cracked way too fast for the show's most accomplished smooth-talker, the villain whose stock and trade are his powers of persuasion. 

"I didn't 'sell you to the Boltons,' Sansa.  As I recall, we paused in our journey to discuss your options, and you chose to proceed to Winterfell."   And what, no amnesty points sought for showing up and turning the Battle of the Bastards?  "I saved Jon Snow's life, the lives of several men standing here, and your life, Lady Sansa.  Twice."

Lord Baelish would have done a better job of reading the room--no one cared about his long sad history of unrequited love.

Edited by candall
polished Baelish dialogue. Eek, I'm doing fanfic!
  • Love 12
14 minutes ago, EyesGlazed said:

Why was Tyrion skulking outside Dany's room looking all sad that Jon and Dany were, uh, together?  He wants a successor to Dany, right?  And even if he too believes she can't get pregnant, then what's the harm in a fling between allies?

I was very confused by this as well. Someone in the comments section of youtube (reliable source, I know) said the showrunners have indicated that Tyrion is in love with Dany, but I hope that that's not true. One, because I like their friendship and advisor/advisee relationship and not every male/female relationship has to be romantic and two, as much as I love Dany, not every man needs to fall in love with her.

• Love 19