Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Part I

• Start Topic

I was pleasantly surprised and intrigued by most of this. I have never been a big fan of Jessica Biel, but I thought she wasn't bad here. I'm interested in her devout upbringing backstory and want to know what's up with her barely alive baby sister.

I thought the stabbing was a (day)dream at first. Until the police showed up, I kept waiting for the scene to cut back to Cora on the beach with the family.

The scene with her in the jail shower looking down with her hair hanging down looked like a horned demon. I hope that was intentional and not just the result of my watching too much horror.

I don't care at all about Bill Pullman's character. Don't care about his "quirky" detective schtick (if I had a dollar...), don't care that he goes to see a prostitute or dominatrix or whatever. I just don't care.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't care at all about Bill Pullman's character. Don't care about his "quirky" detective schtick (if I had a dollar...), don't care that he goes to see a prostitute or dominatrix or whatever. I just don't care.

I agree. I hope there's not more of that, because as brooding and dark as this is, it moved. I was tired, so I checked the DVR to see how much was left and it was almost over. Pullman working the case, fine  His personal just didn't work, at least not in this episode.  

I got the impression that someone involved in this show is an ass person. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 16

So far I'm in.  I have a feeling Cora will be found not guilty.  How or why remains to be seen.  From my perspective there wouldn't be a series to watch if she was found guilty after a confession and 20 witnesses.  I guess it will be Pullman's character that will solve the riddle.  I didn't like how his character was written though.  Watching his lover through binoculars with whatever that gook was under his nails.  What?!!  And then he creeps over to her house for a booty call I guess and she makes him get on his knees while stepping on his fingers.  What does any of that have to do with Cora.  Is the show about him or about her.  If the show is going to be about Cora and peeling back the layers that made her do what she did, then lets get on with it.  I don't need a backdrop of a detective's weird life just to give him more air time because he's being played by Bill Pullman.

This show was billed as a mystery about a woman who stabbed a man at the beach in broad daylight without rhyme or reason.  To insert rabbit holes that doesn't connect to the murder dilutes the plot IMO.

• Like 1
  • Love 16

I watched this and I liked the tension that was building up until Cora stabbed the guy. I got a sense of doom and wrongness through the whole episode that also gave it a creepy atmosphere. Right now, I'm stumped on what is the impetus behind Cora snapping and I'm intrigued to see how it plays out. To its benefit, It is vague enough that I can't even guess what forces are behind everything - mental illness, demonic forces, aliens or God. I guess that's a sign of good story telling.

Also wonder how Cora's past is gonna factor in - those flashbacks show she had an upbringing that probably messed her up somewhat.  She also has a funky marriage - doesn't seem to be sexually excited by her mommy's boy husband who didn't even come see her her first night in prison. Then add in an overbearing MIL. She seems depressed - she seemed to be trying to kill herself during her swim in the lake.  Curious to see how all those factor into cold-blooded murder.

The sub-plot with Bill Pullman is probably going to be the parts where I fast-forward - he didn't make me care about his situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 13

I thought it was okay and I'll keep watching even though I'm feeling like I know where this going. Just a guess: that design she keeps imagining is probably the wallpaper that she concentrated on during her childhood while she was getting beaten and/or abused by her parent(s) or other adult. She killed the guy on the beach because she flashed back to her sister getting assaulted and wasn't able to save her. Yeah, maybe I've watched too much tv over the years.

Was the actor who played the husband intentionally hired due to being a Kit Harington look-alike? His acting was meh.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, scribe95 said:

Since when did they get this explicit on regular tv? 

Shoot, cable TV is fast becoming as explicit as pay cable.  I've gotten quite the eyeful and earful on some of the cable shows I watch:  F-bombs and gay anal sex on Mr. Robot (USA network), naked butts and hardcore sex on Animal Kingdom and Will (TNT).  The line that hasn't yet been crossed is nipples/genitalia.  The Sinner did a new move (for me, anyway) in their first episode - junk fondling.  So far, network TV is still pretty tame but cable is pushing the boundaries more and more.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 2

Sigh. I thought it was well done and held my interest throughout, but we know Cora's secret is going to involve a horribly abusive childhood, violence, and I bet you a million dollars, rape. It's not something I'm eager to spend time watching. Again.

I was checking a couple of reviews afterwards and one critic mentioned Harry's dark sexual perversions -- I didn't even remember at first that he's a masochist, that's how big an impression those scenes left on me. I really don't care, although I'm sure his own troubled sexual history will somehow tie in with Cora's, which is why he becomes fixated on her case. 

All in all, it looks to be kind of thankless role for Pullman.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Watching his lover through binoculars with whatever that gook was under his nails.

I think his fingers under his nails were bruised from being stood on by the prostitute or dominatrix or whatever. She mentioned having other clients, which is why I'm calling her "prostitute or dominatrix or whatever".

I have a vague understanding of the nuances of sexwork (which is a very loaded topic that's for another forum), but it looked like their interaction was headed toward oral sex to be performed on her. I don't think that's typical of female dominatrix work nor female prostitution. So, color me confused. It just adds to the detective's story more that isn't necessary in eight episodes, as far as I'm concerned, just as others have posted.

"The Killing" did "damaged male detective" better and more organically to the story.

• Love 3

Yeah, there's got to be repressed assault memories in her background. I can't think of any other way to spin what she did.

Apropos of nothing, I miss having recaps to read here. I can read recaps of other shows while I watch tv, but I can't listen to podcasts and watch tv at the same time.

Also, I see the resurrection of the old TWoP site has been canceled.

• Love 10

I have a feeling this will go the religion route.  Crosses were on the walls in the flash back and since everything is so political nowadays....it's going to have something to do with a priest abusing her or her family.  I hope I'm wrong....I'm not religious by any means but I don't like how the media portrays it as such a horrible thing.  If it goes the long the lines of a her family being part of a religious cult, that could be interesting.... I just don't want it to be about the Catholic Church abusing her....would be too politically transparent.  

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Was the actor who played the husband intentionally hired due to being a Kit Harington look-alike? His acting was meh.

I think he looks like he could be Shia LaBeouf's brother.

3 minutes ago, Laurie4H said:

I have a feeling this will go the religion route.  Crosses were on the walls in the flash back and since everything is so political nowadays....it's going to have something to do with a priest abusing her or her family.  I hope I'm wrong....I'm not religious by any means but I don't like how the media portrays it as such a horrible thing.  If it goes the long the lines of a her family being part of a religious cult, that could be interesting.... I just don't want it to be about the Catholic Church abusing her....would be too politically transparent.  

Watch "The Keepers" on Netflix.

• Love 4

I'm interested in exploring what it was that triggered her. Obviously it will have something to do with her past, but the actual trigger is interesting. She was watching that couple but genuinely didn't seem to recognize the guy at first. I was really expecting her to, because at first the girl was blocking her view of him, but when she moved away, there was still no hint of recognition, and I believe her later when she said she didn't know him. And even when they first started playing the music, there was nothing. It was immediately upon switching to the 2nd song that she was triggered. What is that about? Does she know that particular song somehow?

I'm also interested to see where things go with the friend thinking the victim recognized her and didn't try to push her away. I assume it will be a red herring and just a case of the eyes (or memories) playing tricks, who really knows.

Anyway, I'm in to see where this goes, and am glad it is a limited series so I don't have to worry about questions not being answered. Though I also agree in not caring about the detectives private life. Anything that has to do with him investigating the case, sure, it was fine. But beyond that, no thanks.

Edited by redpencil
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I don't think that's typical of female dominatrix work nor female prostitution. So, color me confused. It just adds to the detective's story more that isn't necessary in eight episodes, as far as I'm concerned, just as others have posted.

I wonder if he met her through her dominatrix work but it grew beyond that into an actual relationship.  I'm not terribly interested in that side story either but I have a suspicion they included it because eight episodes to tell this story might be too much. 

9 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

Was the actor who played the husband intentionally hired due to being a Kit Harington look-alike?

No but he was on another HBO show--Girls. 

I liked the show but I too am afraid that hidden memories will be of abuse.  Even if that's the secret, I hope it gets more creative than that.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

Her mother was a nasty piece of work. Telling her that her sister's nearly dying was because of something Cora had done to her mother, when she was pregnant with her. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I wonder if he met her through her dominatrix work but it grew beyond that into an actual relationship.  I'm not terribly interested in that side story either but I have a suspicion they included it because eight episodes to tell this story might be too much. 

I don't think she is a Dominatrix, I think she is just a waitress who doesn't mind indulging her partner's fetish. She said that Pullman left her a month ago to try to get his wife back and that she was seeing lots of other guys since he left (probably not true). The black stuff under his fingernails are bruises which Pullman keeps self re-injuring because it reminds him of her.

18 hours ago, Darian said:

Yes there were a lot of nice ass shots and sexually suggestive shots that are not normally shown on TV. I wonder if the beach scene was so sexually suggestive to make you wonder what you would have done in a similar situation. Gratuitous sexuality with annoyingly loud music, in a public place with your family with lots of children around, is that enough to make you snap or at least say something. I know I was a little disgusted with their behavior and felt they should have chosen a place with more privacy. It would be funny if some 13 year old boy was filming the couple making out and the jury thought the couple were being indecent on the beach and Jessica Biel had every right to try to convince them to stop what they were doing.

Jessica Biel is famous for having a great ass, and yet they went out of their way not to show it as they followed her down the beach to the water. They showed more of her ass than I thought they would during the shower scene, but they still didn't really show it.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

I agree. It is an interesting real life crime mystery and totally engrossing. 

The Keepers I  couldn't even finish.  Some of the stories seems so far fetched that I felt they were fabricated.  Especially the woman who said she was taken to the body.

I did think this show was intriguing.  Several people have commented that Jessica Biel isn't a good actress.  I thought she was believable in this so far.

Edited by Laurie4H
  • Love 1

I love this show! I think the "why" is connected to her religious upbringing and she may have been abused. Maybe she had a flashback at the beach and was triggered by that song which was in her memory from another time. 

What interested me was at the beach when Cora's husband tells the little baby (and I paraphrase) to toughen up. He could be a real nut. Who says that to a baby? 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

What interested me was at the beach when Cora's husband tells the little baby (and I paraphrase) to toughen up. He could be a real nut. Who says that to a baby? 

Maybe he didn't want the baby to grow up to be a "Mama's Boy".

• Love 3
15 hours ago, redpencil said:

I'm also interested to see where things go with the friend thinking the victim recognized her and didn't try to push her away. I assume it will be a red herring and just a case of the eyes (or memories) playing tricks, who really knows.

I thought the statement by that friend was so odd. He stated that the victim was a strong guy but when Cora stabbed him, he didn't pull her arm away . Ummmmm, he was stabbed! Maybe he wasn't so strong anymore because of all the blood gushing out of his neck, idiot. He also said that the victim looked at Cora while he was being stabbed and seemed to recognize her. I think it was more a look of shock, a "why are you doing this to me?"

If the friend had just said "I didn't help because I was in a state of shock," I would have understood. It happens to all of us. But his "I didn't help because I thought the victim could have handled it" or "It looked like he recognized her so he succumbed to the stabbing" is not working for me.

12 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't think she is a Dominatrix, I think she is just a waitress who doesn't mind indulging her partner's fetish. She said that Pullman left her a month ago to try to get his wife back and that she was seeing lots of other guys since he left (probably not true). The black stuff under his fingernails are bruises which Pullman keeps self re-injuring because it reminds him of her.

Actually she said that waitressing didn't pay the bills so I do think she is a dominatrix or prostitute. Whatever her title is, she's getting paid for her services.

On another note, being that we are being led to believe that the mother was deeply religious, I thought it was odd that Cora and her sister Phoebe have such modern, hip names. I looked up the origins. Cora has no ties to the Bible. Phoebe does, although, in my opinion, it's a stretch. But the writers could have chosen more obvious Bible names if that's the angle they were gonna go. Hannah and Rachel, anyone? Biblical, yet modern.

• Love 6

Color me intrigued to see where this goes! I do really enjoy these limited series summer murder mysteries, so this is right up my alley. I think Jessica Biel is rather underrated as an actress, so I'm glad she's getting a chance to really show her stuff. She was mostly in shock this whole episode, except for her freak out when she couldn't get her sleeping pills, but I thought she conveyed her state of shock and numbness really well. As to why Cora did it, I have three theories, all of which are pretty obvious, so I hope they throw in a few twists:

1. Cora was raped or abused by the guy on the beach, or she saw him attacking someone else. She blocked out the traumatic incident, and when she saw him it all came back, and as soon as she did it, she blocked it out again.

2. Cora was raped or abused by another guy, or saw someone being raped or abused and couldn't/didn't help them, so she had some kind of temporary insanity breakdown and took it out on this random guy.

3. This has something to do with her mom and/or dad being a crazily religious abuser, and this has something to do with that. She was brought up to believe that all women who do anything sexual are being "ruined", so she was "saving" the girlfriend from sin? Or something like that. The childhood stuff definitely plays a part.

I thought that her baby sister was dead when we first saw her, and that her mom had totally lost it. That looked like a seriously sickly baby, should she have been able to leave the hospital? I'm sure the childhood stuff is going to come up, the mom seemed rather off in the little time we saw her. Her dad seemed nice enough though, maybe he died and the mom blamed Cora? Telling your little daughter that her sisters sickness was her fault for being born is a really messed up thing to tell your kid, especially when she's super little. Little Cora certainly didn't seem thrilled to have mom back.

I also don't care at all about Bill Pullman detective. Can we just have a detective who just does his damn job and doesn't have some crazy personnel life in disarray to distract us from the interesting stuff?

4 hours ago, Blissfool said:

But the writers could have chosen more obvious Bible names if that's the angle they were gonna go. Hannah and Rachel, anyone? Biblical, yet modern.

Maybe she become super religious after having a difficult pregnancy? She was born again or something? Could be interesting, as I'm pretty positive they're going with the religious nut mom from Carrie angle.

• Love 5
On 8/5/2017 at 0:52 AM, Anela said:

Her mother was a nasty piece of work. Telling her that her sister's nearly dying was because of something Cora had done to her mother, when she was pregnant with her. 

Seems like that (and likely much more) is some kind of root of OCD tendencies, which is what I assumed her medication is for, and repressed memory stuff. At least that's what I'm getting so far.

Maybe he didn't want the baby to grow up to be a "Mama's Boy".

The husband is a "mama's boy," at least as portrayed in Cora's view. But he also pretended that he acquiesced to a dinner invitation that Cora would not have liked, so it seems that he knows this. Whether his remark about the baby was irony or a self-aware joke (or jealously over the baby's attachment to Cora), I don't know. 

The Keepers I  couldn't even finish.  Some of the stories seems so far fetched that I felt they were fabricated.  Especially the woman who said she was taken to the body.

I think the stories were crazy only because the disgusting and reprehensible men involved in the stories were exactly that crazy.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
On 8/4/2017 at 0:02 PM, scribe95 said:

I don't think it's about guilt. She did it. It's about understanding why. And I like that. I second not caring about the detective's weirdness. 

I really don't give a shit why she did it.  She did it, she's evil end of story.  I don't even think I'll watch any more because I don't give a shit about this messed up woman.

Trope 1: Quirky detective with a secret sexual tic. Done to death.

Trope 2: Religious people are weird and, at the very least, screw up their kids, if not blatantly abuse them. Done to death.

That said, overall I thought thus was intriguing enough to make me want to watch the next episode. 

• Love 1

At the beginning, Cora jumped when she heard a loud noise in the workplace. And later, before Cora went for her "swim," she told her husband she wanted "quiet." Then, she was triggered by the loud music.

Could she have either of these conditions?

misophonia, "also known as selective sound sensitivity syndrome, starts with a trigger. It’s often an oral sound -- the noise someone makes when they eat, breathe, chew, yawn, or whistle. Sometimes a small repetitive motion is the cause -- someone fidgets, jostles you, or wiggles their foot. If your response is more severe, the sound in question might cause: rage, anger, hatred, panic, fear, emotional distress or a desire to kill or stop whatever is making the noise."

hyperacusis "is a condition that arises from a problem in the way the brain's central auditory processing center perceives noise. It can often lead to pain and discomfort. There are a variety of neurologic conditions that may be associated with hyperacusis, including: post-traumatic stress disorder." Could Cora have ptsd from childhood abuse? 

more information on these conditions

the suicide of Dr. Michelle Lamarche Marrese

from the NYTimes "(sounds) can send them into an instantaneous, blood-boiling rage, (a fight or flight)"

Edited by DakotaLavender
typos
  • Love 9

I'm marginally okay with Bill Pullman's kink.  I like the actor and I definitely don't want to spend eight hours establishing all the precise details of how Cora came by her PTSD.   I'm pretty much the opposite of Neurochick, above--I feel sympathetic to Cora for whatever terrible abuse she suffered that made her snap, but they could reveal all those repressed memories next week and do a "two-episode limited run" instead of an eight-pack.

I thought Bill Pullman pushing down on his bruised fingertips was a clever way to shorthand his masochistic tendencies--I've had a bruised nailbed and it hurts!  It would be good if the writers were twisty enough to connect Cora and the detective some way, but that's asking too much of a summer crime show.  (Murder In The First taught me that the hard way.)

I was expecting the father to reach down and start fondling Cora, but the mother's guilt trip was much more effective as a horrifying flashback.  Yikes!

Husband is excrement.  He made me happy to be single every time he was onscreen.

Edited by candall
  • Love 8
On 8/5/2017 at 4:23 PM, Blissfool said:

If the friend had just said "I didn't help because I was in a state of shock," I would have understood. It happens to all of us. But his "I didn't help because I thought the victim could have handled it" or "It looked like he recognized her so he succumbed to the stabbing" is not working for me.

The witness came off as very weird, didn't he? His bizarre explanation must have been on purpose. If I'd been there I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have immediately leapt to intervene in a violent altercation with someone who has a knife, but neither would I have assumed that the victim of a stabbing didn't need/want help.

My guess is that the friend turns out to be important to the story in some way.

• Love 10

I thought Biel did a great job of portraying a damaged human who was somehow holding it together for the day-to-day. Until, of course, she didn't. Bill Pullman has always creeped me out and I don't even know why. Unfair, I know. This episode was giving me a True Detective (the first one with Woody Harrelson) vibe. And was that Patti D'Arbanville as the mother in law? Time flies.

• Love 1
On 8/5/2017 at 7:40 PM, tennisgurl said:

Color me intrigued to see where this goes! I do really enjoy these limited series summer murder mysteries, so this is right up my alley. I think Jessica Biel is rather underrated as an actress, so I'm glad she's getting a chance to really show her stuff. She was mostly in shock this whole episode, except for her freak out when she couldn't get her sleeping pills, but I thought she conveyed her state of shock and numbness really well. As to why Cora did it, I have three theories, all of which are pretty obvious, so I hope they throw in a few twists:

1. Cora was raped or abused by the guy on the beach, or she saw him attacking someone else. She blocked out the traumatic incident, and when she saw him it all came back, and as soon as she did it, she blocked it out again.

2. Cora was raped or abused by another guy, or saw someone being raped or abused and couldn't/didn't help them, so she had some kind of temporary insanity breakdown and took it out on this random guy.

3. This has something to do with her mom and/or dad being a crazily religious abuser, and this has something to do with that. She was brought up to believe that all women who do anything sexual are being "ruined", so she was "saving" the girlfriend from sin? Or something like that. The childhood stuff definitely plays a part.

I thought that her baby sister was dead when we first saw her, and that her mom had totally lost it. That looked like a seriously sickly baby, should she have been able to leave the hospital? I'm sure the childhood stuff is going to come up, the mom seemed rather off in the little time we saw her. Her dad seemed nice enough though, maybe he died and the mom blamed Cora? Telling your little daughter that her sisters sickness was her fault for being born is a really messed up thing to tell your kid, especially when she's super little. Little Cora certainly didn't seem thrilled to have mom back.

I also don't care at all about Bill Pullman detective. Can we just have a detective who just does his damn job and doesn't have some crazy personnel life in disarray to distract us from the interesting stuff?

Maybe she become super religious after having a difficult pregnancy? She was born again or something? Could be interesting, as I'm pretty positive they're going with the religious nut mom from Carrie angle.

These were all of my thoughts while watching this!

When the music started playing, and the wife says that this was bad the guy played drums for in college, my first thought was "yep, he raped her, that's why she did it." 

It will be interesting to see where they go with this, and I hope all the theories I currently have are incorrect because they're all things that have been played out in other shows and movies.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, 2727 said:

The witness came off as very weird, didn't he? His bizarre explanation must have been on purpose. If I'd been there I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have immediately leapt to intervene in a violent altercation with someone who has a knife, but neither would I have assumed that the victim of a stabbing didn't need/want help.

Yeah that was super weird. It would have made sense if he said that he froze in shock, but he didn't step in when his friend was being reputedly stabbed because he could "handle it"?!?! I don't care how strong his buddy was, he just got stabbed in the neck! And you just sat there and waited for him to stop his gushing blood flow on his own, or fend off the women stabbing him? It was such a weird interview, I feel like the guy has to have some greater point in the mystery.

• Love 1

Finally checked this out, and it has enough to for me to stick with.  While I admit Jessica Biel isn't the greatest actress in the world, I always liked her, and I thought she did a pretty good job with everyone.  Cora clearly did something truly horrid, but I think Biel conveyed that there is more to this then straight-up murder and there is something going on with her.  Time will tell if it is enough for it to be a flat-out insanity plea or not, but I definitely get the impression that she is repressing something that caused her to suddenly snap.  Totally think it will end up having to do with these flashbacks to her parents and her younger, sickly sister.

While I can understand why the husband couldn't bring himself to see her at first, there is still something about him that makes me give him the side-eye.  Might be his "he needs toughen up" line to their son.  He didn't sound like he was joking or anything and it's like... the kid can't even speak in full sentences yet, dude. Maybe wait a few more years before you freak out over him not being macho enough.

Only thing I'm really not feeling is Bill Pullman's stuff.  I like him fine, but I'm not sure if I buy him in this role or, then again, I just getting tired of the quirky, eccentric detective.  That said, I'm sure he's going to play a major part in this, so hopefully he'll improve.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Only thing I'm really not feeling is Bill Pullman's stuff.  I like him fine, but I'm not sure if I buy him in this role or, then again, I just getting tired of the quirky, eccentric detective.  That said, I'm sure he's going to play a major part in this, so hopefully he'll improve.

Pullman's big speech in Independence Day where he tries to change his voice to sound presidential ranks right up there with the worst acting I have ever seen.  Every once in a while he gets that same inflection in his voice in every part he plays and I just can't deal with it.  It takes me right out of every show he is in and I can't be objective on whether he's doing a good job or not.  Its already happened in Part I of this.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 3
On 8/6/2017 at 4:47 PM, DakotaLavender said:

At the beginning, Cora jumped when she heard a loud noise in the workplace. And later, before Cora went for her "swim," she told her husband she wanted "quiet." Then, she was triggered by the loud music.

Could she have either of these conditions?

misophonia, "also known as selective sound sensitivity syndrome, starts with a trigger. It’s often an oral sound -- the noise someone makes when they eat, breathe, chew, yawn, or whistle. Sometimes a small repetitive motion is the cause -- someone fidgets, jostles you, or wiggles their foot. If your response is more severe, the sound in question might cause: rage, anger, hatred, panic, fear, emotional distress or a desire to kill or stop whatever is making the noise."

hyperacusis "is a condition that arises from a problem in the way the brain's central auditory processing center perceives noise. It can often lead to pain and discomfort. There are a variety of neurologic conditions that may be associated with hyperacusis, including: post-traumatic stress disorder." Could Cora have ptsd from childhood abuse? 

more information on these conditions

the suicide of Dr. Michelle Lamarche Marrese

from the NYTimes "(sounds) can send them into an instantaneous, blood-boiling rage, (a fight or flight)"

I watched episode 2 and realized that my theory above is not the route they are going which, as far as I am concerned, makes the series less interesting if they go down a plot path which has been done countless times before.

I'm digging that song that triggered her as of now. Of course, once I learn what it's associated with I may change my "tune".

Let's not forget the Detective's uncanny knowledge of plant ecology. Maybe his personal experience with the pleasure of pain and ability to diagnose a suffering biome at a glance may lead him to crack the case wide open. 

• Love 2
On 8/4/2017 at 10:02 AM, scribe95 said:

I don't think it's about guilt. She did it. It's about understanding why. And I like that. I second not caring about the detective's weirdness. 

WOW...I agree! Whats with the extreme sexual overtones...the crotch shots, the sex scenes,  the feeling of the bulge! All in the very first Ep. And it is not like I am a prude....but come on!  Kids could be channel surfing and come across this!

• Love 2

I'll stick around for the rest . Hoping for an eventual twist because it looks like it could go the usual religious / sexual abuse route . 

I always thought jessica biel was gorgeous but her face looks terrible in this show . Extremely skinny and skeleton like . I'm wondering if that was intentional in the makeup / lack there of department ? 

On 8/4/2017 at 8:14 AM, Darian said:

AHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!

you and my husband both said the same thing!!

my response: "duh, who isn't?"

On 8/7/2017 at 9:32 PM, Dmc306 said:

As to why Cora did it, I have three theories, all of which are pretty obvious, so I hope they throw in a few twists:

Originally I was sure it was theory 1 or 2 because I interpreted her saying that she was "saving" the girl as more literal (saving her from being raped), but I like your third theory given the extreme guilt trip her mother gave her.

My husband and I just stumbled on this series on Netflix and decided to give it a try even though we hadn't heard anything about it. It's definitely a genre I enjoy, and I don't mind if the plotlines have been done before as long as this particular plot keeps my interest.

On 8/4/2017 at 3:16 AM, bilgistic said:

Just started binge watching this show on Netflix and that's my one negative about the show. My thoughts exactly.