Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

I could feel the R-E-L-I-E-F wafting from Miriam and Antonio when they closed the car doors on their departing visitors!  They probably both immediately got on the phone to TLC to ask when their paycheck would be direct deposited. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, suzeecat said:

They probably both immediately got on the phone to TLC to ask when their paycheck would be direct deposited. 

If they were smart they got cash up front.  

41 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

the fueckety fuck are you importing foreigner to marry in the first place

I don't see anyone importing a foreigner.  I see people meeting people from other countries.  It would be interesting to see one of the Americans moving out of the US, but the cost of production would then be too high.  

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, AmyBre said:

It's not easy for Karine to get another American guy because she does not speak English.  Only a delusional dotard like Paul would chase a woman in the Amazon and speak through an app.  Look at Jenny and the other Filipinas in the other 90-day series.  To them it's less than a problem because they speak the language.   Paul's pyromania may be connected to a bit of  his schizophrenia where he creates a separate reality for himself where he thinks what he is doing is right.

Karine can use this exposure to catch another guy in Rio or another large city of her country.   That has more of a chance and would get her out of that rural area where she lives.

Is Pole really a pyromaniac or just an arsonist for insurance fraud?  I suppose he could be both.  It seems Pole realizes he has issues and wants to be a better man, but he is clearly not there yet.  

Don't those translator apps also work with voice recognition and speech synthesis?  It might not be a precise as typing and reading, but it would be a lot faster.

I do hope Kreeny finds a better husband either in Brazil, the USA or elsewhere.  Of course the guy with the machete who stole her cell phone might be an improvement on Pole. :)

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Nowhere said:

The only part of this episode that really pissed me the hell off was Larry's cousin telling Jenny, "Don't come to this country with that attitude." Who in the hell does he think he is? What's that pussy going to do if Jenny comes to the US with her attitude fully intact?? Oh what? She's not allowed to have a problem with you two assholes judging her before you know her, creeping on her page and making assumptions, then insulting her character? Just because she's a woman, she's not allowed to be upset about their shit talk? Maybe she is a everything they think she is but it is none of their business and cousin Larry has no right to say don't come to our country. Fuck him. Larry loves her and as dumb as that may be, it is what it is and they need to butt the hell out. Jenny may be a hot mess and maybe manipulative (I think everything she has been upset about so far has been valid), but guess what? She's Larry's little hot mess, manipulative woman now and it's his responsibility to defend her honor. She is his choice. Men like Larry who won't defend their woman make me so sick. It actually hurts me inside to see it. Take notes men. Even if you fully agree with your friends' poor opinion of the woman you chose, DO NOT ALLOW YOUR FRIEND TO TALK SHIT ABOUT YOUR WOMAN  IN YOUR PRESENCE, BEHIND HER BACK OR TO HER FACE. Larry is the biggest pussy. His cousin is a fucking elitist ass. Under no circumstances is it ok to not defend your woman. I feel bad for Jenny. 

"We don't take no back sass from our fillies over here, missy!" Christ, what an asshole.

47 minutes ago, tincansailor981 said:

Pole has to stink to high heaven from wearing his nasty clothing and tactical mosquito netting all day in the Brazilian heat and humidity.  How Kreeny gets past the stench to do the grown up with him is beyond me.  

Can you imagine what his breath is like? I'm heaving just thinking of it.

• Love 12
9 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

Yeah, when you "date" someone on the Internet for 20 minutes and can't stop talking about how attractive they are because the only way you can "talk" to them is with a pocket translator, or the 'love of your life" Jenny can hardly string a sentence together in English, you are importing a commodity. When you spend you whole vacation in Haiti sniping with your 20 years your junior "true love' over your romantic rival, but then still want to marry her you are importing a hot piece of ass. There wee no deep conversations, no emotional bonding with future families, no plans about creating a live together. It was all one form or another of " She is so hot. I loves her so much! "

Paul, Sean, and Larry did not happen to meet someone wonderful while traveling abroad or sitting in a café at home. They did not put time and effort into cultivating a long distance relationship over years. They did not make numerous trips to meet family and friends and really get tot know the other person on a deep, intellectual level. These guys did some online shopping and are now doing the minimum  that US law requires to import their honies.  It's purely transactional on both sides. I resent Paul, Sean and Larry because they are trying to turn being horny for a hot piece of tail into something noble and honorable.  It is their right to marry whoever they want for whatever reasons they want, but I don't have to play along with the delusion.

I think there is often a mixture of the sort of cynicism you describe and delusion on both sides of these relationships.

Larry seems more sincere than most guys shopping for brides in the 3rd world.  I think he has convinced himself that he really loves Jenny and wants a real wife.  Jenny IMHO is somewhere between cynically using Larry for a green card and convincing herself she is doing it for "love", because she doesn't want to see herself as that sort of woman.  I think she is willing to settle for a decent guy, who she isn't all that attracted to and doesn't have much in common with for a better life.  Whether she would stick with him long term, or treat him as a "starter husband" is unclear to me.  

Pole is just kind of nuts.  I don't think he sees Kreeny as an object, but his self esteem is so low that he only thinks a woman he rescues from the 3rd World could love him (he might be right).  Kreeny seems like a nice person and to sincerely want to be a good wife to someone, but she wouldn't go near a guy like Pole if he lived in her town.  

I think Sean was really attracted to Abby as a hot, young woman and sees her as a piece of meat.  But, he has convinced himself that he is looking for her to be his "soulmate", because he doesn't want to admit to being so shallow and crass.  I think he has really fallen for his own lie, though and really "loves" her, in his confused mind.  Abby seems to be clearly looking for a green card and money.  She appears to have no feelings for Sean, whatsoever and I don't see her settling the way Jenny or Kreeny might.  If Sean marries her, I think she will try to take him for all he has.  

• Love 7

After all the drama and hurt feelings caused by not eating the pig, WHY ON EARTH did Larry call his cousin who disapproves of Jenny? Why go there after just having a big argument? Oh, I forgot...drama.

I have to admit, I was really touched when Patrick admitted to his mother how he had cried a few times over Myriam. Awwwwwww And I found their goodbye scene at the cab very touching as well. Maybe if they weren't so cute, I wouldn't care but gosh, I was really hoping they stay together.

I'm a it confused as to why Antonio told Corny he wanted her to continue to stay at his apartment. She gave him an out; she said maybe she should stay somewhere else. Why did he tell her to stay...and so convincingly? He clearly needed to get away from her. And did so in such a rude and unbelievable way. Why not just say goodbye?

It's really fascinating how technologically advanced these remote regions of impoverished countries are.

I know it was asked upthread but what was Sean's plan for determining if Abby would be faithful? Did he fit her with a chastity belt? And why doesn't she and Chris agree to pretend to Sean that they are ending heir friendship? Just long enough to for Sean to propose?

2 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I have mixed feeling on Larry.  I think the questions that his cousin and wife were asking were legitimate, but he should be asking Jenny those questions himself.  He needed to take a side, one way or the other, in that conversation.

I don't know what to make of Patrick.  He seems like a decent guy, but is stupid to chase after Myriam.  He also needs to get rid of the stupid blond ringlets and all the metal in his face.  I like Mom Patrick.   I loved when she said he needs to find a woman in the US..."And I'll help." :)

I can understand Pole expecting Kreeny to learn English, rather than learning Portuguese himself.  If they marry, she is moving to the USA, he is not moving to Brazil.  But, he definitely could have gone to the trouble of learning how to say, "Will you marry me?" in Portuguese.  Writing the proposal in English was idiotic.  

That might be an intentional or subconscious way of Pole admitting his "crnal past" while trying to avoid people actually hearing what he is confessing to.  

Pole mumbles and slurs everything he says: kreeny, bo-dock, ST-pregnancy-est.......

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Chickabiddy said:

. I resent Paul, Sean and Larry because they are trying to turn being horny for a hot piece of tail into something noble and honorable.  It is their right to marry whoever they want for whatever reasons they want, but I don't have to play along with the delusion.

I sure don't resent anyone on the show.  And it is just a show for us.  For them, I don't know.  Most of them seem to sincerely want a connection to varying degrees, and who am I to say what's in their hearts?  Some of them just seem sad and lonely.  Almost all of them appear to be pursuing goals which they are unlikely to achieve.  But with the exception of some of the more hardened cast members, I don't think anyone is regarding other people as commodities.  I enjoy watching the ways in which the express themselves and relate to one another, and if I didn't I wouldn't watch.  I find the fast forward button to be very useful, as well!  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

After all the drama and hurt feelings caused by not eating the pig, WHY ON EARTH did Larry call his cousin who disapproves of Jenny? Why go there after just having a big argument? Oh, I forgot...drama.

I have to admit, I was really touched when Patrick admitted to his mother how he had cried a few times over Myriam. Awwwwwww And I found their goodbye scene at the cab very touching as well. Maybe if they weren't so cute, I wouldn't care but gosh, I was really hoping they stay together.

I'm a it confused as to why Antonio told Corny he wanted her to continue to stay at his apartment. She gave him an out; she said maybe she should stay somewhere else. Why did he tell her to stay...and so convincingly? He clearly needed to get away from her. And did so in such a rude and unbelievable way. Why not just say goodbye?

It's really fascinating how technologically advanced these remote regions of impoverished countries are.

I know it was asked upthread but what was Sean's plan for determining if Abby would be faithful? Did he fit her with a chastity belt? And why doesn't she and Chris agree to pretend to Sean that they are ending heir friendship? Just long enough to for Sean to propose?

Pole mumbles and slurs everything he says: kreeny, bo-dock, ST-pregnancy-est.......

"Kreeny, wi you marmee?" :)

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

Corny might be dumb as a box of rocks but she probably put something on Antonio that he never had before and he wants some more of it.  That's the only reason he hasn't evicted her can't want walk and brush her gums at the same time ass.

I noticed the same thing:  we have no running water or electricity in the jungle but we damn sure have a cell tower.  The phone itself probably costs more than the family's net worth.

• Love 3

For goodness sake, doesn't Pole's translator app work both ways? Couldn't he have typed in "Will you marry me" and gotten the translation in Portuguese? Writing in the sand in Karine's native language would have shown much more creativity and sincerity on his part. And why did he think a Brazilian guy, even one who speaks English well, would have any idea of what he meant by the expression"pop the question"?

Corny, I have two words for you: "waterproof mascara" 

Patrick, get your happity ass home and forget Paris.

Sean, get your happity ass home and make an appointment with a dermatologist STAT! 

• Love 13
27 minutes ago, balisticnikki said:

If Abby is a smart girl she will figure this tactic out and Chris will become a frequent flyer to what ever city Sean and Abby reside. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

I sure don't resent anyone on the show.  And it is just a show for us.  For them, I don't know.  Most of them seem to sincerely want a connection to varying degrees, and who am I to say what's in their hearts?  Some of them just seem sad and lonely.  Almost all of them appear to be pursuing goals which they are unlikely to achieve.  But with the exception of some of the more hardened cast members, I don't think anyone is regarding other people as commodities.  I enjoy watching the ways in which the express themselves and relate to one another, and if I didn't I wouldn't watch.  I find the fast forward button to be very useful, as well!  

Clearly, our mileage varies. And that's okay. That's what message boards are all about - sharing opinions.  And as someone helpfully pointed out, the boards are about bringing the snark, too. ;-) Anyone who doesn't like my opinions  or snark can just "fast forward" through my posts. Doing that can be useful as well. ;-) 

After all, it's just a message board for us. 

Edited by Chickabiddy
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, AmyBre said:

Caillou is actually French Canadian.  Very educational.  

PBS rules.

Caillou is a spoiled brat who teaches kids they can be that way too, just to get what they want. So doesn't matter where he's from, Caillou still sucks. PBS is ok. Lol

• Love 7

Many people have mentioned that Karine could easily get another American to marry her, but I don't think it would be very easy for her to do so.  She had obviously been on a website looking for someone and she got Paul.  Also, her village is quite a distance a way and not easily (nor probably cheaply) accessible.  She may be in a situation in which she thinks it will be Paul or nobody.  Her parents were sincerely impressed that an American wanted to marry her (even though I'm convinced that the father can sense that something is wrong with Paul) which would not be an issue if Americans coming to visit Karine were commonplace.  I think it may be a "now or never" scenario for Karine.  Of course, I would advise never, but nobody ever asks me...

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think there is often a mixture of the sort of cynicism you describe and delusion on both sides of these relationships.

I think Sean was really attracted to Abby as a hot, young woman and sees her as a piece of meat.  But, he has convinced himself that he is looking for her to be his "soulmate", because he doesn't want to admit to being so shallow and crass.  I think he has really fallen for his own lie, though and really "loves" her, in his confused mind.  Abby seems to be clearly looking for a green card and money.  She appears to have no feelings for Sean, whatsoever and I don't see her settling the way Jenny or Kreeny might.  If Sean marries her, I think she will try to take him for all he has.  

I think Sean is playing out some fetishistic pretty woman fantasy in his mind. I'm fairly sure he knows exactly what Abby has done previously and wants to "save her" without appearing to be as sleazy as the Chris(es) of the world. But considering he was partner shopping exclusively for women of colour in developing countries, I'd say he has some colour fetish inclinations as well. He actually grosses me out the most, because he's ignoring her agency in making the survival choices she has, while patronizing her at the same time. I couldn't get past the whole yelling at Chris about Abby being a sex toy scene. He may not be a mentally disturbed arsonist, but to me, he's the worst.

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Says the fugly dude with his own Filipino bride...

I think his Filipina bride gives him more credibility.  It tells me he is not fundamentally opposed to marriage with a Filipina, but has specific concerns about Jenny  (i.e., the hundreds of men she is allegedly in contact with on FB). 

I would have preferred to have heard a denial or explanation of that, as opposed to Jenny becoming angry when it was brought up.

3 minutes ago, sarkygal said:

I think Sean is playing out some fetishistic pretty woman fantasy in his mind. I'm fairly sure he knows exactly what Abby has done previously and wants to "save her" without appearing to be as sleazy as the Chris(es) of the world. But considering he was partner shopping exclusively for women of colour in developing countries, I'd say he has some colour fetish inclinations as well. He actually grosses me out the most, because he's ignoring her agency in making the survival choices she has, while patronizing her at the same time. I couldn't get past the whole yelling at Chris about Abby being a sex toy scene. He may not be a mentally disturbed arsonist, but to me, he's the worst.

Of all the couples, I think Sean and Abby probably deserve each other the most.  Neither seem to have pure motives.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, balisticnikki said:

I sure hope not that Patrick and Myriam would stay together, not only they are not a good fit together, Patrick is being too pushy trying to get into a relationship even Myriam has a boyfriend, if I were Myriam, I would just block Patrick and never talk to him ever again

9 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

think his Filipina bride gives him more credibility.  It tells me he is not fundamentally opposed to marriage with a Filipina, but has specific concerns about Jenny  (i.e., the hundreds of men she is allegedly in contact with on FB)

I trust his wife. She is from the Philippines.  His wife is the one who brought up the issues with marrying someone you just met. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think his Filipina bride gives him more credibility.  It tells me he is not fundamentally opposed to marriage with a Filipina, but has specific concerns about Jenny  (i.e., the hundreds of men she is allegedly in contact with on FB). 

I would have preferred to have heard a denial or explanation of that, as opposed to Jenny becoming angry when it was brought up.

Good point Jenny just says no and gets mad.  Guess what?  You're sitting in front of a computer with internet access, together, just do a quick visit to FB.  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I get the Family Chantel comparison, but can we please not call him Cousin Larry?  I don't want the awesomeness of the tv show Perfect Strangers sullied by this nonsense.  Although Balki did often have a goat...

OMG I thought the same thing, I can't read the phrase "Cousin Larry" without hearing it in Balki's voice.  At all.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Phoebe70 said:

And now I realize that Larry's appearance resembles Donkey from Shrek.....

Funny-donkey-28055686-382-500.jpg

Phoebz, you’re a mean girl, but you’re so dead on! Glad I finished my coffee otherwise my screen would have coffee on it from spewing through my nose. Guess that makes me  a mean girl for laughing.  Dead ringer!

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Paul is such a dumbass.  He had the bilingual bellman *right there* who could have written "will you marry me" in Portuguese.  Or just write it on a piece of paper for Paul to write in the sand.  He's so stupid that I'm surprised he even hatched an arson for money plan.  (Yeah, it didn't work and he got caught, but that he even had the idea seems beyond his abilities.)

Well, the bilingual bellman, instead of translating the marriage proposal, might have actually written something like, "Run like hell.  Can't you see this guy is a dumb ass?"

• Love 24
19 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

How many hats does Larry own? How many hats did he pack? Although I must admit that I admire his color-matching skills.

My 19 year old son would also like to know about the caps. Mostly he wants to know how, in this day and age, Larry was able to buy totally blank, color-coordinated caps that are so ill-fitting. Last night he was like, "My man Larry busting out the BLUE cap! OMG! I just thought he had white and grey!!"

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

I think Karine knows she can get another American guy,  but she knows it takes time and she is in a hurry. So she looks to me like she is in a dilemma- go with Pole now and get to the US quicker or wait possibly another 2 years to find a new guy, have him come and visit me and then have that new guy propose. Then she thinks maybe the next guy will also be ugly and could be uglier and could also be a total loser. I also wish she realized that the fact that he has a criminal past means he is unstable and could do something else really scary in the future. 

and how many reality shows can she be seen on before applying for a K1 and someone in the K1 Approval Office notices? One? do they even take this show seriously?  Maybe that's another topic we need to dive into!   I had my own green card marriage issues that I'm trying to put out of my memory, and I don't even know where I'd begin to find someone who would answer that. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Sprockets said:
13 hours ago, Kangatush said:

How about Cousin It?  What a bastard he is.  Ddi you see Larry's face while he was being rude to not-a-whore?  Completely blank.  

What did Cousin Itt ever do to deserve that comparison? Cousin Itt was awesome!

877B2F26-05E2-45BB-90C4-11A9DD8405DE.jpeg

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Bellalisa said:

I can't understand Pole. The way he says "My criminal past" he says Crimnl so fast and runs all the letters together. He is so hard to understand. The bellboy didn't have a clue to his mumblings. The guy knew English but Pole mumbling "Ahm a gonna pop the question" he had no clue what he was saying so he just kept nodding his head. 

Am I the only one who finds the use of subtitles for Paul one of the show's more hilarious decisions?

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Cherrio said:

Abbys face said it all when she was hugging Sean at the airport.  She was glancing around probably thinking about going shopping, getting back to Chris or how in a few seconds she would be rid of this liver lip bore.

I thought she was looking around for the camera crew.

6 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I have mixed feeling on Larry.  I think the questions that his cousin and wife were asking were legitimate, but he should be asking Jenny those questions himself.  He needed to take a side, one way or the other, in that conversation.

I don't know what to make of Patrick.  He seems like a decent guy, but is stupid to chase after Myriam.  He also needs to get rid of the stupid blond ringlets and all the metal in his face.  I like Mom Patrick.   I loved when she said he needs to find a woman in the US..."And I'll help." :)

I can understand Pole expecting Kreeny to learn English, rather than learning Portuguese himself.  If they marry, she is moving to the USA, he is not moving to Brazil.  But, he definitely could have gone to the trouble of learning how to say, "Will you marry me?" in Portuguese.  Writing the proposal in English was idiotic.  

That might be an intentional or subconscious way of Pole admitting his "crnal past" while trying to avoid people actually hearing what he is confessing to.  

He did the same thing when he said "STD test and Pregnancy test". It's as if he knows what he's doing or talking about might not be well received, so he smooshes all the letters together to get it out there fast.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

If Abby is a smart girl she will figure this tactic out and Chris will become a frequent flyer to what ever city Sean and Abby reside. 

Yes, I've been wondering whether - once Abby is in the States - if she and Chris will continue their sugar baby/daddy arrangement. Chris doesn't want to marry her or bring her to the U.S. himself, and he doesn't seem to mind her hooking up with other American daddies. I wonder, though, if he'd find her less "exotic" if he were flying to meet her in Ohio (or wherever Sean lives) rather than Haiti or the DR. It's a bizarre situation with those guys. Sean can be her father, and Chris can be her grandfather. Eww.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, deedee2 said:

Am I the only one who finds the use of subtitles for Paul one of the show's most hilarious decisions?

Every time he talks, I hear "I'd like to buy a vowel" being screamed in the background.  He slurs over vowels constantly.  The young lady's name is "Karine" . . . not "Krneee."

• Love 7

Why can't they share custody of Abby? She could stay with Sean in Ohio, then go to the DR to see Chris. Summer in Ohio with Daddy, Winter in the DR with Gramps. Best of both worlds for her! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, magemaud said:

Why can't they share custody of Abby? She could stay with Sean in Ohio, then go to the DR to see Chris. Best of both worlds for her! 

I think Chris would be fine with that . . . but Sean is too much of a control freak to share.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, deedee2 said:

Yes, I've been wondering whether - once Abby is in the States - if she and Chris will continue their sugar baby/daddy arrangement. Chris doesn't want to marry her or bring her to the U.S. himself, and he doesn't seem to mind her hooking up with other American daddies. I wonder, though, if he'd find her less "exotic" if he were flying to meet her in Ohio (or wherever Sean lives) rather than Haiti or the DR. It's a bizarre situation with those guys. Sean can be her father, and Chris can be her grandfather. Eww.

I was wondering the same thing. Also, in this episode when Sean said he would have to "see" if Abby stays away from Chris before he would propose, I wondered just how he's going to be sure of that? Is he going to check her phone? Frisk her and go through her things to see if she has a second phone? When Sean is in Ohio, how will he know just what Abby is really doing unless he has gps trackers on both her and Chris? 

• Love 6
20 hours ago, Sprockets said:

What is wrong with Larry?  He cannot say "I'm a vegetarian," and he cannot tell his cousin to STFU.  

He's a vegetarian? I just thought he was a picky eater and was grossed out by the look of the pork.

He seems very naive (or just plain dumb) and maybe his cousin has been telling him what to do all his life......

Abby is such a sleeze. 

Karine has sleeze potential.  She's not innocent.  She's just not as hard as Abby or Jenny.

Jenny -- ugh.  If she ever makes it over here, Larry will probably find antifreeze in his  koolaid.

These men are all horn-dogs.  You can practically see them salivating over the soft-porn pictures of the women they've chosen.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I was wondering the same thing. Also, in this episode when Sean said he would have to "see" if Abby stays away from Chris before he would propose, I wondered just how he's going to be sure of that? Is he going to check her phone? Frisk her and go through her things to see if she has a second phone? When Sean is in Ohio, how will he know just what Abby is really doing unless he has gps trackers on both her and Chris? 

Spycams in the 190 panties?

• Love 1
On 10/20/2017 at 7:13 PM, Bibi said:

His passive-aggressive approach is NOT working because she's jus not astute enough to realize what he's trying to do. 

Does his contract with "The Learning Channel" have anything to do with his "approach" ??    I assume many of the "participants" on this show can't say what they truly want to say...and still get their money.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, shockermolar said:

My 19 year old son would also like to know about the caps. Mostly he wants to know how, in this day and age, Larry was able to buy totally blank, color-coordinated caps that are so ill-fitting. Last night he was like, "My man Larry busting out the BLUE cap! OMG! I just thought he had white and grey!!"

They sell them at Walmart (at least in Florida). Three in a pack for 10 bucks. All different colors and totally blank. I kid you not. I once bought a set of pink, white and beige to wear to the beach on days when I didn't feel like doing anything with my hair, lol. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Chickabiddy said:

I'm sorry, but if you marry someone who speaks a different language, you need to make some effort to learn it. It's a matter of respect for their culture and the "ingredients" that went in to making the person you supposedly LOVE SO MUCH. My husband and I never planned to live in Germany, but I made a point to improve my German so I could , ya know, talk to my inlaws and his friends and extended family.  I couldn't expect a bunch of 70 year olds to learn English for me. And don't you want to get to know your spouse'sfamily on a deeper level? Don't you want to raise your kids to be bilingual and be able to understand what one parent is saying to them? Don't you want to show your kids that the language of their other parent is valuable and worth learning? Maybe not if you view your spouse as a possession or an accessory whose job it is to make you look better and feel more complete.

And if you are not into being all bilingual and multicultural, fine, by why the fueckety fuck are you importing foreigner to marry in the first place?  The US is not some mining town in the rural west in the 1820s. There are plenty of women around to court and marry. Oh, but that requires effort and reasonable expectations. Well, nothing is perfect.

Exactly, my husband is Puerto Rican, and though most if not all of his family and friends speak English quite well, they are just more comfortable with their native language .  They were taught English at school, but in the home it’s  all about Spanish.  I understand that. I get it, and I respect it.  I can understand enough spoken and written Spanish to get the gist of what is being spoken about. But my limited knowledge of verbs and tenses and nuances of the language get me lost.

I understand a lot more than I can speak because I don’t really know how to string my vocabulary together.  But, they appreciate my efforts to speak a little and participate in the conversation. I let them know it’s perfectly fine with me if they speak Spanish because I respect they are just more comfortable. Besides, immersion forces you to learn. Every road sign or sign anywhere in both languages is a lesson for those who want to learn. Use it.  All I ask is for them to catch me up, which they do by checking in with me, so I’m just not feeling left out. Most importantly, they see that I respect my husband and his culture by trying to learn something about it and learn his language.  He already learned mine and went through hell to do so to get a decent job on the mainland we’ll before he met me, so it’s only fair I make the effort .

We won’t see Pole trying to learn Portuguese or Old Liverlips Sean learning French or Patois or Larry learning Tagalog (or whatever Jenny’s language is). Allan (from another season) speaks perfect Portuguese because he worked in Brazil as a missionary there when he met lovely Kirlyam.  She has learned good English in the short time she’s been here. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Desert Rat said:

Well, the bilingual bellman, instead of translating the marriage proposal, might have actually written something like, "Run like hell.  Can't you see this guy is a dumb ass?"

I did that to a very prim and proper doctor friend of mine at a show once.  There were Russian performers and she wanted to hold a sign that said in Russian "Welcome to our city" with his name.  We were in the front row so she held it up at the finale and he acknowledged it with a nod and a smile.

As we were leaving I told her , ya know the sign did not say Welcome......it said eat me (insert name).

I let her sweat it out for a minute or two before I assured her it said Welcome.......

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Normades said:

I understand that English is important since they will live in the US, if they marry, but out of respect he should learn some Portuguese.  I certainly would do that if I were in the same situation.  Plus, if they have children (my god, Paul procreating is a disturbing thought!) they should teach them both languages.  It's a respect thing, but I believe Paul sees Karine as a possession and won't do anything to show her respect or try to make her comfortable.  If he had written the proposal in her language it would have been kind and thoughtful, but of course that didn't happen.

I'm American and I see the attitude of disrespect of other languages besides English quite often.  Many Americans don't even feel the need to speak a second language.  I personally don't care for that attitude.

I can't imagine Pole being able to speak even basic Portuguese. He can't pronounce all the syllables in English. He is so dumb that when he speaks to the Brazilians, he doesn't try to speak more slowly and clearly. He also keeps using colloquialisms an idiomatic expressions.  Even the way he says Karine BUGS the shit out of me. As a former Italian professor, in most languages you need to pronounce each letter and syllable to be understood.  The way he runs all the syllables and words together you cannot understand his English without subtitles. They way he said "STD test" was so so so fast.  I recently went to an Italian speakers meet up and there was one guy who thought he was so good at Italian because he was speaking really fast, but I could not understand him as he was not speaking clearly. It was too fast! He needed to slow down and pronounce each letter. He taught himself on the internet, so I get that he has not been around Italians to get the proper rhythm and intonation but damn he thought he was so good and he was terrible. 

I just don't see Pole having the intelligence and wherewithal and sensitivity to learn Portuguese or any language. He is clueless. You can't be clueless and learn to speak a foreign language.  Of course I 100% agree that he should have been at least TRYING all this time! 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, Bellalisa said:

I can't imagine Pole being able to speak even basic Portuguese. He can't pronounce all the syllables in English. He is so dumb that when he speaks to the Brazilians, he doesn't try to speak more slowly and clearly. He also keeps using colloquialisms an idiomatic expressions. 

This also drives me crazy about Patrick. Sure, Myriam has some basic English proficiency, but Patrick with his slangy vocab and pronunciations - why would he think a French speaker would get it?  Didn't Myriam get frustrated with him on this episode (or was it last episode?) when he laid down some slang and Myriam, in despair, said, "speak French ... pleeeeease".

Edited by deedee2
  • Love 5